The Haiku Zone

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on January 30, 2012

Clay Hensley. Ryan Theriot. The Warriors. The Pro Bowl. A Niner-less Super Bowl. It’s that time of the year when there isn’t much to look forward to unless pining away for FanFest (Feb 4th) is how you float your boat. Last year we had the World Series Trophy Tour to track. This year, not so much. I could use a Haiku or two to perk me up. My bask has basked. Time for a Retro search and some focused BB scanning. Back tomorrow……..

_____________________________________________________________

Retro Game of the Day!

It’s August 5th, 1986 and though it seems like a dream, it wasn’t. Steve Carlton started for us vs the Reds. Lefty got left for dead by an average Reds team managed by Pete Rose. They won 10-1. Rose cleaned up. Carlton was picked up by us on July 4th of ’86 and released 2 days after this horrific effort. He’s 67 years old now…….

About these ads

1. Nipper said, on January 30, 2012 at 6:50 am

BF in a slump?

2. ewisco said, on January 30, 2012 at 7:03 am

BF in a slump
    Winter Sports need a focus
    BB of the Day

3. willieD said, on January 30, 2012 at 7:28 am

No disgrace losing to Mario soto, he of the good fastball and great change up. I know he doesn’t deserve it, but I’d have voted Parker into the HOF

4. Alleykat said, on January 30, 2012 at 7:37 am

Thought Carlton was 67 when we had him?
    But seriously Lefty was a great pitcher, sadly another player who did not know when to quit.He was amazing putting up numbers till 1984 with 294 -164.From 85 till he finally hung them up in 88 at the age of 43 he was 35-80. His 72 season was one of the best ever by a starter on a Shitty team ,winning 27 games for a team that won only 59.Truly a HOF pitcher.

5. unca_chuck said, on January 30, 2012 at 8:44 am

Didn’t Carlton get his 4,000th k with the Giants? I know he hit some kind of milestone with the G’s.

Much like RJ getting his 300th win as a Giant, a big milestone on a team you’ll never associate him with . . .

6. twinfan1 said, on January 30, 2012 at 10:29 am

Well, there’s always some version of Law and Order 24/7…

• TedSpe said, on January 30, 2012 at 10:48 am

Yeah, I couldn’t sleep last night and watched about 3 in a row
      SHUNK SHUNK

7. Del Mar Dennis said, on January 30, 2012 at 10:54 am

waiting for baseball
    January draws near end
    one more football game

8. unca_chuck said, on January 30, 2012 at 11:36 am

Man, I watched CSI Miami for about 5 minutes yesterday, and between the close-ups, wavy camera shots, and 3-second cut-aways, I had a headache. Are all those fucking CSI and NCIS shows like that? Insanely loud inappropriate music, zoom-ins, cut-aways, and gratuitious nostril fu?

Criminy, Didn’t know what I was missing all these years. Dreck.

9. Alleykat said, on January 30, 2012 at 11:43 am

Well there always “Women Arena Lingerie Football League” to watch.Hot Babes wearing skimpy attire…..

• unca_chuck said, on January 30, 2012 at 11:47 am

Was it Phil Simms’ daughter playing in that league?

10. Bozo said, on January 30, 2012 at 12:24 pm

Flav, where’s the love for Gregor Blanco? I guess since since my old clown pal Cody isn’t around any more, I’ve decided Blanco is my guy.

• unca_chuck said, on January 30, 2012 at 12:50 pm

I hear his nickname is Casa . . .

• Flavor said, on January 30, 2012 at 1:16 pm

I think Cody is going to have a nice bounce back year in Boston. Good park for him, few outfielders to compete with and the outfielders that are better than him are injury risks. Lots of doubles at Fenway coming his way. I’ll say he hits 40 doubles, 16hrs…….

• snarkk said, on January 30, 2012 at 1:40 pm

Is Gregor Blanco related to Fausto Carmona?…

11. wswin said, on January 30, 2012 at 1:50 pm

and even a haiku at the end of the story.

• snarkk said, on January 30, 2012 at 2:09 pm

The writer has it pretty well analyzed. Posey is key. If he doesn’t come back well offensively, it’s going to be tough. The stats on the recent Giants’ teams offense don’t lie. Since Barry, Sabean hasn’t put together a good offense, hell, even a decent offense other than the 2010 year…

• twinfan1 said, on January 30, 2012 at 2:57 pm

I suppose it depends on what is meant by “come back well offensively”. Pablo is actually and obviously the best hitter AND power hitter, and most consider Belt a 25 HR guy. Buster may be the good, not great, hitter he showed before the injury last year. And that would be fine, more than enough. But Sandoval is the key to the offense.

12. twinfan1 said, on January 30, 2012 at 2:09 pm

Anybody else not watching SB? It wouldn’t be at hospital , BTW, the surgery would not be until 10th. If it’s done.
    Anyway, no desire to watch the 3rd and 4th best teams compete for the the title. What channel is “Women Arena Lingerie Football League” on?
    BTW, I nominate Jeff Goldblum as weirdest Law and Order detective…

• TedSpe said, on January 30, 2012 at 3:05 pm

Either Goldblum or Vincent D’Onofrio. Too close to call

• twinfan1 said, on January 30, 2012 at 3:17 pm

I give the edge to Jeff just for the “look”, but you’re right, it’s a toughie.

• Bozo said, on January 30, 2012 at 5:17 pm

The great thing about Law and Order for me is that I never watched them before, so no reruns yet.
      The abrupt endings crack me up with just the, Dick Wolf.

13. Flavor said, on January 30, 2012 at 2:55 pm

Not watch the super bowl? Um, no, I am watching the super bowl. I’ll put some dough on it to make it interesting and have a bunch of dumb prop bets going but the SB is really the last sports related event that I’m interested in until P/C’s show up. Hockey? No thanks. Warriors? About the only thing the NBA has on hockey, to me, is that I can actually follow the ball.

14. twinfan1 said, on January 30, 2012 at 3:03 pm

I haven’t checked the schedule. Emergeny ER can be pretty good if a guy has a pipe in his head, or something like that.They always get it out but usually his dating life takes a big hit..

• twinfan1 said, on January 30, 2012 at 3:05 pm

Dining options are limited for that show, however..

15. unca_chuck said, on January 30, 2012 at 3:43 pm

Jeff Goldblum in The Fly was great.

16. twinfan1 said, on January 30, 2012 at 4:22 pm

Good to see you back, wswin. Your feistiness is needed.

17. snarkk said, on January 30, 2012 at 4:27 pm

At long last, The Puppy Bowl lineup has been announced. The Boxer looks formidable. The miniature Aussie, IMO, is the “underdog”. Although a bit hyper, the Border Collie mix can’t be ignored with those smarts and preparation. I’m gettin’ the beer and chips ready…

• snarkk said, on January 30, 2012 at 4:28 pm

And, the Milk Bones…

18. zumie said, on January 30, 2012 at 5:13 pm

We wait for baseball
    Getting closer every day
    Where’s those baseball ‘zines?!

19. Brian said, on January 30, 2012 at 5:15 pm

Just read the Posey article/Yahoo Giants breakdown. Nothing earth-shattering there, except they failed to mention, as Twinfan noted, that Buster was fairly pedestrian before Cousins blew-up his ankle. Hopefully he was on his way to being above average!

• snarkk said, on January 30, 2012 at 5:33 pm

Posey is so pedestrian he was ROK. So pedestrian that Sabes lost his mind and almost committed public, career hara kiri by unprofessionally ripping Cousins…

• twinfan1 said, on January 30, 2012 at 6:09 pm

All that was said(by me) is that he was off to a fairly slow start. Even at that he’d be one of the top two or three hitting catchers in baseball…and definitely the best pear-shaped catcher in the game…

• DJLoo said, on January 30, 2012 at 6:36 pm

I just wish he didn’t have to hit clean-up. That’s for the Benches and Piazzas.

20. PawlieKokonuts said, on January 30, 2012 at 5:27 pm

I’ll never forget this sight of Steve Carlton (whom I loved more than any other pitcher of that era, meaning 70s-80s; saw him beat the Giants 2-0 in Philly, around 1978; drove w/ Phils phan co-worker from Syr. to the Vet and BACK; of course, the crowd booed Schmidt when he did not hit a HR; I believe he made it 2-0, but you know how fans are, esp. in Philly; not just Philly; smart-ass Yankees fans today would totally deny it, but it’s a fact they booed Mickey Mantle at Yankee Stadium when he would strike out, which was often): back to the sight of Carlton. It was a Saturday NBC afternoon game. They cut to Lefty in the dugout practicing (with whom? Krukow?? who would have thrown the splitter? everyone, ’cause Roger Craig fostered that) the grip of a split-fingered fastball, trying to stretch his fingers out. It was both sad and hopeful. As someone hoping he’d gain back his form with a new pitch, i was all for it, but of course I knew this was desperate, one last trick that would fail him. But I could not admit it to myself. Then he went on to end his career with the Indians, White Sox, and Twins, if memory serves, not in that order. It was like Mark McGwire’s last days, but as a pitcher: either a strikeout or a homer.

21. PawlieKokonuts said, on January 30, 2012 at 5:33 pm

lake-effect last night
    spindrift January snow
    HITS blizzard needed

22. twinfan1 said, on January 30, 2012 at 5:41 pm

The Puppy Bowl works for me.

23. Big flavor said, on January 30, 2012 at 5:43 pm

Thanks to those of you who took my hint to toss out a haiku today. I have been meaning to write one but have had a shitty long day and now I have to go deal with whiny PTA parents for a couple hours. Maybe when I get home. Or maybe I just write one as I drift off to sleep tonight. The best haiku’s are the ones you don’t write down and leave somewhere in the cobwebs of your brain…

24. DJLoo said, on January 30, 2012 at 6:06 pm

The back of my balls.
    I’ve never even seen them.
    Such a dilemma.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on January 30, 2012 at 6:29 pm

LLOL – literal LOL

• snarkk said, on January 30, 2012 at 6:31 pm

Loved ones
      So near
      Yet, such strangers…

• snarkk said, on January 30, 2012 at 6:36 pm

The itch
      We scratch most
      Is least familiar…

25. TedSpe said, on January 30, 2012 at 6:20 pm

Loo needs a mirror
    Placed at just the right angle
    To fulfill his dream

26. twinfan1 said, on January 30, 2012 at 6:47 pm

Fortunately for all, I’ve never written a Haiku and doubt I ever will. Good stuff from the rest of you, though..

• PawlieKokonuts said, on January 30, 2012 at 7:01 pm

C’mon, Twin, take a page out of Snarkk’s haiku hymnal, and feck the feckin syllables, go straight for the muthfeckin Kerouac satori!

• twinfan1 said, on January 30, 2012 at 7:19 pm

I’m busy with my 10th Law and Order.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on January 30, 2012 at 7:38 pm

SPDI [same plot, different infraction]

• TedSpe said, on January 30, 2012 at 9:26 pm

Maybe but gotsta love that Jerry Orbach

27. PawlieKokonuts said, on January 30, 2012 at 7:03 pm

Maybe we go all out on Haiku Noir tomorrow. Ted can work in sly Hitchcock references.

• TedSpe said, on January 30, 2012 at 7:50 pm

Lila Crane steals cash
      Second thoughts lead to cleansing
      Oops. Tranny with knife !!!
      ;-)

28. Alleykat said, on January 30, 2012 at 7:50 pm

“Lovetap” my ass,
    You kicked my beautiful head,
    I don’t call that love.

Haiku-back-2-U
    Love is very tough.
    I cannot help my spasms.
    I have condition.

29. TedSpe said, on January 30, 2012 at 9:35 pm

Fuck it. No Room B right now so..try this at home:

30. Alleykat said, on January 30, 2012 at 9:56 pm

Pat “The Bat” Burrell retires.Thanks for the “Huge HR’s you supplied during the 2010 WS Championship run.Everyone seemed to tie a game or win it.Great Giant Forever.

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 452 other followers