Whiteside was Hurt Last Year?

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on February 21, 2012

Reading a Baggs entry this morning, El Presidente is saying he was hurt basically all of last year with a bad elbow. Based off of his comments, it seems like the team was aware of this chronic injury. As if my mind couldn’t be blown any further— we just discovered another galaxy far, far away…..

So not only did the Giants have the worst back up catcher in baseball backing up Buster Posey they knowingly had the worst back up catcher in baseball WHO ALSO HAS A BAD ELBOW. I now think that Whiteside will be our back up catcher as long as Bochy is the manager. He played with one arm last year? Fine. How about if he was suddenly paralyzed from the waist down? No problem. Just plop him in a dolly, roll him out there, and dump him at home plate. He went blind? Sure, just guide him behind the dish and holler at him when the pitch is coming.

I know the deal with back up catching— the bar is set low. But you can’t tell me that there isn’t at least a half dozen guys down at the street corner looking for day-work that couldn’t perform the job AT LEAST as good as Whiteside….

Fast forward back to last season— the Giants were playing out the final few meaningless games. Who was catching the 2nd to last game of the season?

Of course, he and his bad elbow went 0-4 that game. He seemed to go 0-4 every game. At the time we wondered why Hector wasn’t catching. We fooled ourselves into believing that it was Bochy’s way of saying goodbye to his precious Whitey. A swan song. A horse ride off into the sunset……

Well, now we know that wasn’t true. And this year he’s actually healthy. Uh oh, a two armed-Whitey. Oh the humanity!!!!

El Presidente is Bochy’s Guy. And Bochy doesn’t let his guys go easily……

Drive by……

About these ads

1. Alleykat said, on February 21, 2012 at 7:37 am

Eli’s coming heart to heart girl,Eli’s coming heart to heart girl, he comes to the plate and the cards say another K….
    Once he did the euolgy for Sue Burns funeral he was locked in as a lifetime Giant in Bochy”s eyes.

• unca_chuck said, on February 21, 2012 at 9:46 am

It’s “hide your heart, girl” . . .

2. Bozo said, on February 21, 2012 at 8:02 am

I know this won’t help with the thought of young George Washington Whiteside being on the team this year, oh well. This was from an article in the Fresno Bee during a Grizzles function last month. Chris Stewart was in attendance and said this.
    “My mindset going into spring training is to win a job,” Stewart said. “Hopefully, things will work out. If not, I’ll come back to Fresno and stay ready until my name is called.”.

3. Kevin said, on February 21, 2012 at 8:35 am

Well lets add the Story in the Sac Bee about how Barry Z is squatting more into his delivery, He says it should add to the speed of his fast ball. LQTM on that one.

4. willieD said, on February 21, 2012 at 8:36 am

for now, the real issue is who gives the team more, one of the other backups or a healthy eli.
    I’m often accused by a close friend of having “skeptical face”, and all these injury reports of players who did not fare well last year are causing that to rise. Eli couldn’t throw? How did that affect his inability to catch pitches that were strikes or block the ones that weren’t?
    Huff, Nate, Wilson, whomever. 2011 is over and done with. Show me what you can do right now once the reg season starts, and why you deserve to be in there. As for Eli, one of the posters on the Baggs story had an excellent idea–eli becomes roving minor league instructor as his full time job.

5. Nipper said, on February 21, 2012 at 9:03 am

Whiteside’s playing……this too shall pass…..

6. zumie said, on February 21, 2012 at 9:12 am

“Driving by ATT”…..I loved it! The film gets two thumbs up!
    Although, with all the attention on the ballpark, I got a little nervous. I half-expected to see a pedestrian go flying over the hood of the car.
    (grin)

• Big flavor said, on February 21, 2012 at 9:23 am

I got cut off by a Lexus but my commitment to the film shined through– the integrity of “drive by ATT” was never going to be compromised….:)

7. twinfan1 said, on February 21, 2012 at 9:39 am

Craig would be devaststed if Whiteside *wasn’t* the backup catcher.

• Kevin said, on February 21, 2012 at 9:53 am

No, no that would be your very own Doomin Denny!!

• twinfan1 said, on February 21, 2012 at 10:14 am

Like almost all here, Death Threat loved Eli his first year.

• twinfan1 said, on February 21, 2012 at 9:53 am

No player in the history of baseball could be called “Bochy’s Boy” any more than Aaron Rowand.

8. Kevin said, on February 21, 2012 at 9:55 am

BF, I know it is early, but since I improved last year from 2010, when will you start up the Fantasy Baseball?? closer to opening day??

9. St said, on February 21, 2012 at 10:15 am

Gonna be interesting year. Rowand looked done, but who knows what affect getting out of SF will have.

10. Flavor said, on February 21, 2012 at 10:41 am

I’m still kicking the fantasy league around. I am seriously considering doing a live draft— this would promote participation I think. I don’t want people quitting and we’ve had a few each year who quit. A live draft would bind you to your team a little. Plus they’re fun as hell. You’d need to carve out 2 or 3 hours to do it though.

• Bozo said, on February 21, 2012 at 11:01 am

I’m in.

• Kevin said, on February 21, 2012 at 11:56 am

cool, I am in.

11. unca_chuck said, on February 21, 2012 at 11:02 am

Ahhh, minor league deal for Rowand . . . thanks, Ted . . .

• TedSpe said, on February 21, 2012 at 12:37 pm

Speaking of minor league deals; No thoughts amongst you all over the Manny (Madame Predator) Ramirez signing by the A’s?

12. Kevin said, on February 21, 2012 at 12:46 pm

I didn’t see any comments on this, but in the Sac Bee, on Saturday or Sunday, there was a column about should Barry get a statue out at AT&T. Go for it gentleman

13. Kevin said, on February 21, 2012 at 12:47 pm

No, no not Zito, the other Barry

• TedSpe said, on February 21, 2012 at 12:54 pm

Zito already *is* a statue out at AT&T

14. Del Mar Dennis said, on February 21, 2012 at 1:13 pm

Some days you’re the pigeon, and some days you’re the Barry Zito statue.

• Nipper said, on February 21, 2012 at 1:43 pm

Stay thirsty……

• Del Mar Dennis said, on February 21, 2012 at 3:51 pm

Happy Pancake Day.

Now go get me some goddamn syrup.

15. snarkk said, on February 21, 2012 at 2:02 pm

I don’t see how Hector could be worse in any way, shape or form than El Presidente.
    Whiteside must have video of Bochy finning sharks or something on his fishing trips…

16. unca_chuck said, on February 21, 2012 at 2:18 pm

WTF is wrong with WordPress? I can’t post on my blog. Same with Jondowdsrevenge. I can only respond to other posts. Here, I’m fine.

• Flavor said, on February 21, 2012 at 3:14 pm

hmm, don’t know. Email support if it’s still going on

• unca_chuck said, on February 21, 2012 at 3:17 pm

Yeah, they are VERY slow in responding . . .

17. PawlieKokonuts said, on February 21, 2012 at 3:52 pm

Nice drive by, Magnus. You seemed to stop it just before the Orlando Cepeda statue, where we met for Game 1, sweetie, among sixteen million animated fans. good memory.

18. PawlieKokonuts said, on February 21, 2012 at 3:57 pm

I’ve done a live, in person fantasy baseball draft, maybe twenty years ago, hilarious. I was drafting Braves and they weren’t even eligible. I first heard of all this in NYC in the Eighties. My fellow Random House employee and lexicographer friend David Grambs, Cards fan, told me about a ROTISSERIE league. You could look it up. The newsletters were works of art. ALSO, even 20 years ago we had to do all stats by hand or our own Excel programs.

19. snarkk said, on February 21, 2012 at 3:58 pm

So, with the Giants, should we assume that if a guy is playing lousy, he’s got a secret injury we’re going to find out about the next Spring? Now Whiteside was hurt all year,, and Wilson says he was hurt all last year including a bad hip. Sheesh, with that stance, Rohand must have had a really bad, chronic butt injury…

• zumie said, on February 21, 2012 at 4:39 pm

Some of it could be plain ol’ excuse-making. What else is Whiteside going to say? “Yeah, I completely suck, and I don’t belong in the major leagues.”
      Instead he wants us to ponder the wonders and glory of an injury-free Whiteside. Dare to dream!

20. Bozo said, on February 21, 2012 at 4:17 pm

According to their FB page, the Giants just laid out new grass at Pac Bell. Hell yeah, just got to get through a few practice games and a few back strains and we’re ready to rumble. Personally, I’m almost in regular season shape. Off season regiment of swimming through flood waters, lifting downed trees and such will do that. I’m ready for the new year, let’s get this 2012 up and rolling.

• TedSpe said, on February 21, 2012 at 4:39 pm

Just laid out new grass at Pac Bell? Hell, that’ll make Timmy happy !!
      (rimshot)
      Thank you, thank you, I’m here all week. Try the veal and be sure to tip your waitress

• Bozo said, on February 21, 2012 at 4:44 pm

I think it was part of the contract. It also may explain the Harvest Opening Day tee shirt Tim was wearing.

21. unca_chuck said, on February 21, 2012 at 5:18 pm

Hmmm. When with the Drrrty injury report come out?
    ;)

• snarkk said, on February 21, 2012 at 5:25 pm

Yeah, and Huff had a season-long case of post-redthong syndrome…

22. Flavor said, on February 21, 2012 at 5:21 pm

Villalona just got his visa delayed. Hilarious. This was the reason I wanted to be the guy who met him off the plane. Just how fat has this guy gotten? The team was told it was due to *weight and health* issues and that since he was here on an *elite athlete* visa his current physical state just wasn’t gonna fly. Literally, they didn’t think the plane could take off with him it. Boo yah!!! I’ll be here all night, folks…..

23. unca_chuck said, on February 21, 2012 at 5:32 pm

Yeah I saw that. Some one else is saying there’s ‘no way’ it’s conditioning related. Some BS being thrown around . . . As the Stomache Turns.

24. snarkk said, on February 21, 2012 at 5:44 pm

Am I all wet or is there a sudden boom on Giants info in the media? When you add together the Chronicle stuff, the new Merc double whammy guys on the beat, and the CSNBA site with Baggs now and a ton of interview vids every day, crap, you could make a mini career of just reading/watching everything Giants. Hey, it’s all good, the more info the better, but if I don’t watch out, I’m going to OD on all this info…

25. TedSpe said, on February 21, 2012 at 5:57 pm

Villalona is simply the latest victim of the little used but potent El Gordo Export Tariff

26. Flavor said, on February 21, 2012 at 6:07 pm

If they can somehow find a plane with enough engine power to actually lift off the ground and safely stay in the air long enough that they can still make it to the US and land (without crashing), I hope they just stick this dude in a gym and treat him like the East German athletes from the 70’s (minus the steroids). Just work his ass off. See what you have after running him through 5 hour training sessions every day for a few months……..

• snarkk said, on February 21, 2012 at 6:20 pm

Camelback Mountain run and puke sessions, here we come…

27. St said, on February 21, 2012 at 6:07 pm

Henry says he gained considerable weight, but then quotes VP Evans saying his weight is “pretty close to what we are targeting.”???

• Flavor said, on February 21, 2012 at 6:08 pm

I don’t believe shit that athletes or management say about anything. It’s all double talk usually designed to keep the public (and the internet media) away from details and/or the truth……

• snarkk said, on February 21, 2012 at 6:21 pm

NOOOOOOOO! That CAN’T be true.
        Especially with our beloved Gigantes. They would NEVER lie to us fans….

• TedSpe said, on February 21, 2012 at 6:19 pm

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. “We were in the market for a fat fuck and Godamnit that’s what we got!!”

28. Flavor said, on February 21, 2012 at 6:12 pm

Here’s a break down of how you qualify for an *elite athlete* visa.

• snarkk said, on February 21, 2012 at 6:24 pm

I read the link. Looks like as long as you can produce a player contract, you should be golden for the player visa.. He must really be out of shape. Or, the US consulate doesn’t like the look of his Dominican rap sheet…

29. Flavor said, on February 21, 2012 at 6:24 pm

As much as I’m enjoying the fat jokes, after reading through this more comprehensive FAQ….
    ……..it appears there are a million things that can torpedo this.

• snarkk said, on February 21, 2012 at 6:27 pm

Bad visa coaching by the Giants reps in the Dominican.
      Trick question.
      He answered “No” when the US Consulate asked if he could hit the breaking ball…

• Flavor said, on February 21, 2012 at 7:46 pm

most excellent post. Maybe they had a medico doing the coaching?

30. St said, on February 21, 2012 at 6:29 pm

Well, I can understand not wanting to divulge the medical condition or a personal problem, but everyone can see for themselves if he’s grossly overweight. It’s ludicrous to lie and say “he’s close” if he’s really 350 lbs.

31. St said, on February 21, 2012 at 6:37 pm

Not a BD. He’s not a factor in their plans this yr or next yr. He’s 21 and going to A ball. Plenty of time if he wants to be a player.

32. PawlieKokonuts said, on February 21, 2012 at 6:52 pm

I’m doomeriffically nervous. Any further word on Timmy’s back problem today? Can you imagine Timmy w/ today’s BB? No.

• Flavor said, on February 21, 2012 at 7:54 pm

Timmy’s back is fine my man, it’s Voggy who’s back is fucked up. So far I’m registered in 5 fantasy leagues (Flap League info forthcoming) and there’s no way in hell I draft Voggy with this type of early warning signs. I believe last year to be legit as I’ve posted many times. But he’s over valued by the masses and now we have a back issue? Fuck that, I buy low, not high…..

33. SanDawg said, on February 21, 2012 at 6:52 pm

Love the drive-by! Funny, I actually did a “walk-by” the night before after seeing my brother off at the ferry building. No Sabean sighting this time. Also rode Cal Train for the first time and thought fondly of the Sun Dressed Goddess as we rolled down the peninsula.

Zumie-earlier Sunday my brother dragged me to the Warren Hellman (sp?) tribute concert at GG Park. Good times. I sensed your presence–were you there? One of the many things I love about norcal is you can have an event like that with a big crowd with many people openly getting high and walking around with bottled beer and there are few cops and they dont seem to care as long as things are mellow. Down here in Socal an event like that would be crawling with cops and security hassling anyone not following the letter of the law.

• Bozo said, on February 21, 2012 at 7:08 pm

Except maybe Dodger stadium, huh SanDawg?

• SanDawg said, on February 21, 2012 at 7:14 pm

Good call…..I guess I was coming at it from a concert perspective.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on February 21, 2012 at 7:15 pm

Yeah, the cops in New York City used to be like that in the Seventies and Eighties — just as casual about nudity all around Times Square and 42nd Street. [DJLoo, chime in!]

• Flavor said, on February 21, 2012 at 7:56 pm

“thought fondly of the Sun Dressed Goddess”— this is the reason I will always keep this blog going. You guys produce some of the best shit out there anywhere on the internet (at least in terms of baseball and our team)….

34. Flavor said, on February 21, 2012 at 7:51 pm

Just read MACDOG’S link from last night. Totally hit all of my points, THANK YOU FOR POSTING THIS!!!! Here it is…..
    I think it’s clear from reading this that these guys just fucked up. Stupid, yes. I would have stupidly done the same thing. Trying to make a racist headline? No fucking way…….

35. zumie said, on February 21, 2012 at 8:37 pm

Dawg, I wasn’t there on Sunday. I’ve been to all the Hardly Strictly festivals, though.
    I was watching some of the footage of Sunday’s event on YouTube today. Cool stuff.
    Warren did a beautiful thing bringing that festival to SF for free, and then setting things up for it to continue when he was gone. Warren was one of the top 1% who took his Bush tax cut savings and did things like give an awesome free music festival every year. And that ain’t cheap to do.
    One of my favorite memories of Warren was the time he came out into the crowd during Emmylou’s set and asked if he could sit on our tarp to watch her set. We had gotten there very early, and were in the front row. It was so cool having the guy sit with us during her set. He just so obviously loved the music.
    In the last year of his life, he lived one of his dreams- going on a big tour with his band The Wronglers, in which he played banjo and did some singing.

• zumie said, on February 21, 2012 at 9:09 pm

Romney stuck his tax cut money in the Cayman Islands.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on February 21, 2012 at 9:18 pm

last yr at this time I was on Cayman Brac: quiet, remote, friendly; probably a dozen or more churches, and the tiniest synagogue I’ve ever seen — for a few people; and parrots

anyone hear from Blade?

36. snarkk said, on February 22, 2012 at 12:55 am

Bowker has been signed by the Giants.
    The Tokyo Yomiyuri Giants…

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 485 other followers