The Looming Burriss Decision

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on March 18, 2012

Manny Burriss sure is going out with a bang, isn’t he? Or maybe he’s not going out at all. Through yesterday, here are the hitting stats for our 2nd basemen this spring:

He’s out of options and I’m sure it would irritate the Giants to no end if they had to waive him after all these years. He likely would get claimed by another team. You would think that Theriot would be on the bubble but with Glass Sanchez still not able to throw a baseball overhand it’s unlikely that Bochy would feel comfortable with THAT much Burriss in the mix.

Since we don’t need a 5th starter until the middle of April, I fully expect the Giants to start Voggy on the DL and that would allow the Giants an extra roster spot of flexibility which could easily go to Burriss. So maybe it’s not time to wave goodbye just yet….

And now for a random pic of Brandon Belt and his wife. He’s hoping she goes the *low-carb* route as she gets older……

About these ads

1. Bozo said, on March 18, 2012 at 6:24 am

I’m sure options will come into play (with Ishi, they waited until other teams had their 25 set so they could slip him through the WW). But so does his D. My question, is Font our only back-up for Panda or can Burriss play third? Pablo is going to need some days off and an experiment using Pill doesn’t give me a very comfortable feeling. But neither does Font.
    Assuming Belt makes the OD line-up and including a BU catcher that takes two of the five bench spots. Tough call on who takes those final 3 slots but my guess it’s between Burriss, Blanco, Font, Theriot and Pill. Again tough call.

2. willieD said, on March 18, 2012 at 7:48 am

Lurie mentioned bozo option on radio yesterday–vogs to the DL, burriss on 25 man, then when everyone has rosters set, they waive him and try and sneak him through. Maybe he has figured stuff out at the plate, but I never cared for his D on the IF. He has zero pop and doesnt get on base (.311 for career in 580 ABs I think) enough to make his speed valuable You have to figure blanco makes it, one of font/theriot….
    Speaking of Pill, the other day the Merc guy ran a short back and forth with Bochy, and 3 of the ? were about Pill. Bochy of course goes diplomatic, and mentions what all of the above can do, etc. But who gives an f about a guy way at the far end of the bench? If I had time alone to talk to Bochy, this would be about the last guy I would ask him about.
    There are about 3 guys ahead of him at 1b, he is not going to play 2b either, so imo he backs up LF, plays once a week tops and winds up with 200 ABs if he sticks around all year. And the only reason for that would be if someone gets dealt for an arm/completely sucks, which would still be bigger news than Pill.

3. willieD said, on March 18, 2012 at 8:22 am

oh man, am I going to get a ration from my ACC buddies….there isn’t a team left in NCAA I don’t think west of Omaha and Creighton blue jays. I like them and their conference, but they got carolina today.
    Pac12, mtn west, wcc, big west—10 teams, all gonzo in the first week, and arizona loses at home in the first round of the NIT to the bucknell bison. Sounds like “an ass whipping you just gonna have to take.”

4. twinfan1 said, on March 18, 2012 at 9:35 am

I would never assume they’d go with 11 pitcers under any circumstances- Bochy wants 12 always, but we’ll see.
    If nobody goes to the DL , the candidates for 5 spots are Stew, Whiteside, Hector, Pill, Belt/Nate, Theriot, Font, Burriss, Blanco. Locks (as of now) IMO are Stewart,Belt/Nate, Blanco, Theriot. I lump Nate and Belt together because I still think both Huff and belt will start, with Nate to the bench. So Pill, Burriss, Fontenot fight for one spot.
    If they actually did carry 11 pitchers or Fruckie opened on the DL, two of those last three make it. And think it’s too close to call for those spots right now. Blanco made it all a scrum-and not even for his hitting- he “makes things happen” on almost a daily basis..

5. Del Mar Dennis said, on March 18, 2012 at 2:27 pm

Listening to the spring training game on KNBR just now, I heard the vendor in the background (Brandon) belt out, “PEANUTS!” It reminded me of one of my favorite baseball jokes…

A doctor at an insane asylum decided to take his patients to a baseball game.

For weeks in advance, he coached his patients to respond to his commands.

When the day of the game arrived, everything seemed to be going well. As the National Anthem started…….the doctor yelled, “Up Nuts” And the patients complied by standing up.

After the anthem …he yelled, “Down Nuts”. And they all sat back down in their seats.

After a home run was hit, the doctor yelled, “Cheer Nuts”. They all brokeout into applause and cheered.

When the umpire made a particularly bad call against the star of the home team, the Doctor yelled, “Booooo Nuts!!!” and they all started booing and cat calling.

Thinking things were going very well. The doctor decided to go get a beer and a hot dog, leaving his assistant in charge.

When he returned, there was a riot in progress. Finding his assistant, the doctor asked,” What in the world happened? ”

The assistant replied, “Well, everything was going just fine till a vendor passed by and yelled PEANUTS!”

6. zumie said, on March 18, 2012 at 2:46 pm

I realize the vendors that walk around are a part of baseball’s historic legacy and whatnot, but I don’t really like them much. They get in the way of viewing the game, and their hawking of their over-priced wares gets annoying.
    In general, a lot of people eat and drink too much at the games, anyway. But I guess without the vendors in the aisles, there would be even more people getting up out of their seats all the time, and blocking people’s views.

7. zumie said, on March 18, 2012 at 2:47 pm

Vin Scully would probably say that Brandon Belt’s hair looks windblown in that picture.

8. Del Mar Dennis said, on March 18, 2012 at 3:22 pm

The Padres have some dude named Jedd Gyorko (pronounced “Jerk-o” playing 3B.
    Jedd Jerko? I thought the dude born “Fuck My Mother Please” had it rough.

9. Del Mar Dennis said, on March 18, 2012 at 3:31 pm

Jedd Jerko just got a double and an RBI. I’m taking him with my with 1st pick in the Flap Fantasy LIVE Draft.
    Oh wait, we’re not having it live. Are we? Autopick is for Pussies.

• Alleykat said, on March 18, 2012 at 4:45 pm

You take Jerko with your # one pick,might as well Jerkoff now.

10. DJLoo said, on March 18, 2012 at 4:19 pm

Like any power hitter, Belt likes a fat one…

11. willieD said, on March 18, 2012 at 4:27 pm

Just heard bochy announced FS to the DL to start the season. So who starts at 2b? Does this increase chances Burriss makes it along with all the other middle talent infielders? How many guys can bat 8th at the same time?

• Alleykat said, on March 18, 2012 at 4:49 pm

No suprise there Willie, called that last week.Fontenot will start at 2B.Against leftys Theriot.

• blade3colorado said, on March 18, 2012 at 5:03 pm

I recall you saying that Alleykat . . . good call (although, I wish it weren’t so). This is not good.

Don’t take this to the bank, but Brett Pill playing 57 games at 2nd base last year in Fresno, may come in handy. Ha.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on March 18, 2012 at 5:31 pm

To be fair, Bochy only called Franchez to the DL a “possibility.”
      But let’s be honest. Franchez hitting the DL is like me not picking the KY Derby winner.
      Happens every year.

12. DJLoo said, on March 18, 2012 at 4:36 pm

Scully’s been in decline for years. He should step aside and give a younger man a chance…

• Del Mar Dennis said, on March 18, 2012 at 4:45 pm

Like who, Ernie Borgnine?

• snarkk said, on March 18, 2012 at 6:31 pm

He’s going to wait until there’s new ownership. Agreed, time for him to step aside once he’s around for a bit with the new owners. I think he wanted to stay on until they got rid of their Fwad owner. Which reminds me, once McCourt does sell the team, and I assume the parking lot, too, look out. Giants have benefitted the past few years from chaos at Chavez Ravine. I would think a new owner, whoever it is, will get that act together down there, and we’ll have a real competitor again in blue, maybe starting even this season, certainly next…

13. twinfan1 said, on March 18, 2012 at 5:41 pm

Amazing:
    “The Royals are looking into a lot of catchers to replace injured starter Salvy Perez, and a source told me that Chris Stewart and Eli Whiteside are both on the list.”

• Del Mar Dennis said, on March 18, 2012 at 6:05 pm

And who else, Ernie Borgnine?

Shit. Ernest would be leading that list.

• Alleykat said, on March 18, 2012 at 8:03 pm

Twin they only come in a package deal.Please KC make all Flappers jump for joy and take them both.We will throw in Todd Wellemeyer as well just so he can throw to them with his amazing stuff.

14. twinfan1 said, on March 18, 2012 at 5:56 pm

Burriss is actually driving the ball this spring- and stealing bases. He’d bring more the party than either of the Ragin’ Cajuns, IMO.

15. Del Mar Dennis said, on March 18, 2012 at 5:58 pm

With Franchez likely to open the season on the DL, Emmanuel Burriss seems just as likely, if not more, to be on the Opening Day roster. He has a slash line of .311/.281/.592 in damn near 600 ABs.

Go Manny! Shit. Manny Ramirez is going to have a better year than this chump.

16. snarkk said, on March 18, 2012 at 6:27 pm

Uh, just about everybody around here has predicted or said it likely that Franchez starts the season on the DL, despite the usual equivocations all spring by the Giants. So, if Bochy is announcing that, it’s no surprise whatever…

• twinfan1 said, on March 18, 2012 at 6:37 pm

“Just as I predicted” is a pretty common phrase around here even after the most obvious decisions… I see they optioned outfielder Tyler Graham and pitcher Hector Correa to Triple-A Fresno. They also reassigned infielders Chris Dominguez and Nick Noonan, outfielder Juan Perez, catcher Jackson Williams and pitchers Mitch Lively, Matt Yourkin and Justin Fitzgerald to minor-league camp.
      Just as I predicted…

17. twinfan1 said, on March 18, 2012 at 6:30 pm

He figures to be closer to the .283 BA .353 OBP .686 OPS he put up before the foot injuries set him back. As I said- he’s driving the ball now. Hopefully he gets the nod if Fruckie hits the DL.

18. snarkk said, on March 18, 2012 at 6:38 pm

Burriss is doing his part in making the Giants think about who they want on the utility seat. Theriot is OK, he’s not great in the field, but serviceable, and can play SS. He’s got some pop, Burriss has none. I think they’ll DL Franchez for a couple weeks, maybe through April, and see if the ST success sticks with Burriss in real competition, or was it a ST mirage against mostly guys throwing fastballs. If tey cut him early so as to not make the 25, he may get picked up off waivers, in fact, probably likely. If they cut him after a few weeks into April, he might sneak through waivers since everybody’s roster is set, at least temporarily…

• Alleykat said, on March 18, 2012 at 8:11 pm

Snarkk…Theriot cannot play SS he sucks there.Only 2B and that’s just passable.His pop over Burris plus the “Vet”factor lands him on the team.Of course Boch will try him at SS and becase he’s stubborn and finally will figure out he sucks their as well.

19. DJLoo said, on March 18, 2012 at 6:52 pm

The best a Giant fan can hope for is that one or two of these half dozen or so mediocrities jumps up and exceeds all expectations…

• twinfan1 said, on March 18, 2012 at 7:17 pm

As with the fans of any team..

• Del Mar Dennis said, on March 18, 2012 at 7:20 pm

More over Charles Dickens, Loo’s another man with “Great Expectations.”
      Funny. We have Loo emulating Dickens, and another life-long Flapper blogger who’s a Dickens’ character — Guess who? TF, Mr. Scrooge!

• Nipper said, on March 18, 2012 at 7:32 pm

A Tale of Two Cities…..it was the best of times, it was the worst of times….

• zumie said, on March 18, 2012 at 7:34 pm

That Dickens really liked to cover his a##.
        (I stole that joke from Cheers.)

20. Flavor said, on March 18, 2012 at 7:22 pm

As we all know, there’s a good possibility that Voggy start on the DL. Burriss will get saved with that. But when the season starts, it’s going to be Theriot starting at 2nd with Burriss coming off the bench. And that’s how it should be, at least to start the season. The Giants need to go into the season with something moderately proven at 2nd and Burriss isn’t it. But they’ve kept him around for so long it’s going to be tough to let him go. I hope his spring training explosion isn’t fooling anyone……

• Nipper said, on March 18, 2012 at 7:29 pm

Spring is a time to be fooled. It’s happened so many times before.

• willieD said, on March 18, 2012 at 7:40 pm

sure, but you have to hope for something…Theriot’s last two seasons, OPS of .660 and .630, Fontenot .680 and .706, and we all know what crawford did last year, which was .584. tho bill james projects better seasons for all (.680/.716/.637 respectively), it would be nice if as loo suggested one of them or more exceeded expectations, burriss included. As you and Twin both point out, he is raking so far as well as running.

• zumie said, on March 18, 2012 at 7:43 pm

The skepticism is there because we’ve seen this from Burriss before. There was the infamous ST when he and Frandsen were both tearing it up, and both turned into duds when the real games started.

• Flavor said, on March 18, 2012 at 7:48 pm

WillieD–look, none of them are any good. At least, I hold no expectations for any of them , including Glass-chez. I just think that a low-level guy like Theriot is better than what I’ve seen Burriss do over the course of 4(?) years and some random spring training stats he’s putting up recently……

21. zumie said, on March 18, 2012 at 7:24 pm

Oh no he didn’t! Vin Scully starts tonight’s Dodger game by saying Belt’s homerun last night was windblown.
    —–
    And Vinny wonders why less people are at the Dodger homegame tonight…..well, the Giants are a DRAW, Vinny. That sell-out last night was because your Dodgers were hosting the GIANTS.

22. Del Mar Dennis said, on March 18, 2012 at 7:24 pm

You know what’s really funny. I must have proofread my last comment three times. It always read “Move” over…I’m either going blind or I need to have a serious talk with my bartender.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on March 18, 2012 at 7:29 pm

Either that or to my editor when it comes to the the use of italics. That wasn’t meant to be funny.

• zumie said, on March 18, 2012 at 7:32 pm

Italics?! What a show off! I have no idea how you did that.

• Nipper said, on March 18, 2012 at 7:34 pm

All is forgiven if the libation is fine.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on March 18, 2012 at 7:34 pm

Now I just discovered a stuttering problem. I’m going to perpetuate my latest problem by accentuating my old..
        I’m gonna go have another drink.

• unca_chuck said, on March 19, 2012 at 4:05 pm

Who’s Al ?

23. zumie said, on March 18, 2012 at 7:27 pm

Ha ha! Vinny finally decides the smaller crowd tonight is due to the windy weather.

24. paulinasia said, on March 18, 2012 at 7:28 pm

Well, Craig, what you said about Blanco a few strings ago (if he’s starting a lot, the team is in trouble), I feel more about the ‘Ot’s …. I don’t even like Theriot and Fontenot as our bench, nevermind a whole lotta starting gigs for them.

• Flavor said, on March 18, 2012 at 7:46 pm

I read your goodbye on facebook. Heartfelt and touching. You are an outstanding teacher based off that goodbye……
      What’s up next?

• mrmrbill said, on March 18, 2012 at 7:53 pm

paulinsomeotherplace? do tell

• paulinasia said, on March 18, 2012 at 7:55 pm

No, Bill, won’t have to change my name… I’ve “gone Asian”, hard to imagine being somewhere else right now….

• paulinasia said, on March 18, 2012 at 7:54 pm

Yeah, Craig, it’s been emotional here at my school the past couple of weeks since I gave notice. Built this school from the ground up over the past 3-1/2 years. Love these kids, truly my family. But, in the end, it is a Singaporean school, “run” by the shareholders in S’pore who don’t know shit about running a school in Vietnam, and I’m just tired of fighting them all the time. Working with a few friends here to open a new college. Business plan is set… now we just need a) investors, b) a building, and c) government approval. Right. This is going to take awhile. Might take a few weeks to get back to the US before it all gets going. Wanna see some baseball…

• Flavor said, on March 18, 2012 at 8:10 pm

well good luck to you. I admire your spirit and it’s clear that the school you are leaving is going to be less because of it. Safe travels, my friend…….

25. DJLoo said, on March 18, 2012 at 7:33 pm

Dennis: Ramon Dominguez dislocated his collarbone in a spill today…

• Del Mar Dennis said, on March 18, 2012 at 8:01 pm

I saw the replay. That’s a shame. It’d be unfortunate if Ramon didn’t get to ride HANSEN or ALPHA in the Derby.

26. Flavor said, on March 18, 2012 at 8:13 pm

not one comment about Belt’s fat wife? Shit, I figured that was a soft-toss……..

• paulinasia said, on March 18, 2012 at 8:31 pm

Loo had one, 4:19….

• Flavor said, on March 18, 2012 at 8:40 pm

thanks. Missed it. He’s had better…….

• Del Mar Dennis said, on March 18, 2012 at 8:35 pm

That wasn’t a “soft-toss,” it was an insult. A man should never talk about another man’s wife in that regard.
      Unless of course he’s speaking on the QT and in the down-low when he’s fucking another man’s fat fuck of a wife.

27. twinfan1 said, on March 18, 2012 at 8:52 pm

Well, with most of these guys, they can get a hot wife no matter how plug ugly *they* are. But geez, look at Brandon. You know, she looks like she might be Russian- he might have had to pay for that..insert the smiley shit

28. paulinasia said, on March 18, 2012 at 8:57 pm

Actually, now that you mention it, Brandon himself looks a little Russian. Could see him as a U-boat commander in “Hunt for Red October” or some such.

29. blade3colorado said, on March 18, 2012 at 8:58 pm

You mean like a mail order bride? No way I know the name of the movie, but if Ted is around he will identify this movie where Antonio Banderas – who’s not exactly butt ugly – sends for a mail order bride and get this . . . the company sends him Angelina Jolie.

Now that is the mail order bride company Brandon should have done business with.

30. paulinasia said, on March 18, 2012 at 9:00 pm

Nah, Blade, she’s too thin. Brandon clearly likes his woman to have some meat on the bones. I’m sure there’s a joke in there somewhere about needing a bigger Belt….

• blade3colorado said, on March 18, 2012 at 9:03 pm

Loo would definitely have it . . . I understand that he inherited all of Bob Hope’s 3X5 joke cards.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on March 18, 2012 at 9:23 pm

Even Chief Brody wouldn’t fit inside there with his, “You’re gonna need a bigger boat.”

31. dirtnrocksnomo said, on March 18, 2012 at 9:28 pm

That pic looks like it is after leaving the White House visit last season.

32. zumie said, on March 18, 2012 at 10:05 pm

Only on planet Flap would Belt’s wife not be considered an attractive woman.

33. twinfan1 said, on March 19, 2012 at 9:07 am

No Manning- gone to Denver.

• Nipper said, on March 19, 2012 at 10:41 am

Poor Dennis must be in mourning!

34. ewisco said, on March 19, 2012 at 9:28 am

Looks like someone is sleeping in today!

35. Nipper said, on March 19, 2012 at 10:41 am

Where’s BF?

36. twinfan1 said, on March 19, 2012 at 10:48 am

Note on Jim’s fridge:

“Tues 3/20
    8:00 A.M. Walk Alex’s dog
    9:00 A.M. Polish Alex’s golf clubs, clear gutters
    10:00 A.M. Caddy for Alex
    3:00 P.M. Grocery store for brewskis
    4:00 P.M. Check with Mrs. Smith on Wednesday schedule”

37. ewisco said, on March 19, 2012 at 10:51 am

They’ll have to retire the pad pounding ceremony. I can’t see Alex doing anything other than rolling his eyes. “yeah, sure I’m your guy. Why don’t you go pound Peyton’s pads.”

38. ewisco said, on March 19, 2012 at 10:53 am

At least I can live with that BBOTD for another day (or two . . .!)

39. blade3colorado said, on March 19, 2012 at 11:43 am

If it is true the 49ers have offered Smith a three-year, $24 million contract, with 10 million guaranteed, then I completely understand why it made Smith question the team’s long-term commitment to him. Personally, I hope he told them to pound sand. This is fucking insane – Dennis’s feelings notwithstanding . . . which I could give a rat’s ass about – what the Niners are contemplating. Equally insane are their plans to go with Colin Kaepernick, should Smith not sign on the dotted line. The dumb ass contract they offered Smith is identical to what the Seattle Seahawks gave to Matt “who the fuck is” Flynn (e.g., two career starts backing up Aaron Rodgers for the last 4 years).

Bottom line? They better wise up and sign Smith quick before he puts his John Hancock on that Miami offer sheet. This frickin’ crap would never happen when Eddie was running things.

• snarkk said, on March 19, 2012 at 1:08 pm

Look at it the other way, Blade.
      The Seahawks have nuttin at QB. So, they go out and sign Flynn, who has played in what, a total of 2 real games? (BTW, the Seattle GM was in the Packer organization when they drafted Flynn, so there is some connection).
      So, a totally untested QB is who Seattle signs, and they did not even give 7-year vet Alex a sniff. That says something about how Alex is perceived in the market, IMO….

• blade3colorado said, on March 19, 2012 at 1:55 pm

Actually, they did give Alex a “sniff” and were quite interested in him. While Alex was in Miami negotiating with Miami, his next scheduled stop was Seattle . . . However, the GM, John Schneider, had already inked the deal with Flynn, so they told Alex not to come.

However, your point about Schneider being from Cheeseland is pertinent, i.e., he knows all about Flynn and if you go by what Peter King is saying, then they got someone with a lot of upside. In fact, Schneider says that Flynn reminds him of Rich Gannon. So he called Gannon to see what he thought of Flynn. “He can play the game in his head,” Gannon said.

• snarkk said, on March 19, 2012 at 1:59 pm

Blade, if they had really been interested in Alex, they would have brought him in. They’ve seen him for years, they know what he can do, and can’t — so they signed a guy who basically hasn’t played. That tells me that had no real interest in him…

• blade3colorado said, on March 19, 2012 at 2:13 pm

Your opinion and it’s possible. Manning was the catalyst for all these things moving very, very quickly . . . As Peter King said, “a ripple effect was felt Sunday from the Pacific Northwest to the Atlantic Southeast.” In short, you snooze, you lose. Flynn and his agent should thank Manning for all of this going down, because his price went sky high. Under normal circumstances, he probably doesn’t score that contract. Remember, regardless of what you think of Tavaris Jackson, he is the starter in Seattle and knows the players and plays. Regarding Smith, I personally think he will re-sign with the 49ers . . . If he signs with Miami, I think that is potential career suicide, since the fish stink and he will inherit the same situation he had in San Francisco (last season being the exception).

• snarkk said, on March 19, 2012 at 2:26 pm

Agreed re: Alex. He has to re-sign with the Niners, I think Harbaugh et al clearly figured that was the case as part of the Manning calculus. If he signs elsewhere, he’s letting emotion, not smarts, rule the day…

• blade3colorado said, on March 19, 2012 at 2:42 pm

If he signs elsewhere, he’s letting emotion, not smarts, rule the day…

Definitely.

40. irishman5574 said, on March 19, 2012 at 12:00 pm

Just heard that F Sanchez migh start the season on the DL

41. Flavor said, on March 19, 2012 at 12:52 pm

taking a break from the blog and the BB’s today. Super sick. Blech. Have a good one.

• blade3colorado said, on March 19, 2012 at 12:58 pm

Get well amigo . . . Plenty of juice, soup and bed rest is the ticket.

• Nipper said, on March 19, 2012 at 1:35 pm

Tough as nails BF in bed? Yikes!

• ewisco said, on March 19, 2012 at 3:06 pm

i love my kids but not digging the head cold i had through the weekend and dragged to work today. I suggest a hot toddy o flavorous one.

• Alleykat said, on March 19, 2012 at 6:06 pm

Hope it wasn’t to many of those “Irish Car Bomb Drinks” Flav,they have a way of creeping up on you.(grin).

42. St said, on March 19, 2012 at 12:52 pm

They survived without FS at the beginning of 2010.

Interesting that they were talking up Burriss back in …Dec? saying he had worked hard and looked like a different player. Of course, then they went and signed Theriot. I’d be happy to be dead wrong about him. He’s always looked like a player.

• Flavor said, on March 19, 2012 at 3:08 pm

I totally agree with the opinion that he *looks*like a ballplayer. “looks, walks, talks,and acts” like. one. Dusty once used that *metric* to defend Feliz before he made it up to the big leagues to stay for good.

• twinfan1 said, on March 19, 2012 at 3:23 pm

Craig and I have both previously posted that Manny not only looked a ballplayer but played like one. There are a fair number of players who are like that but just lack some of the skills to be really *good* players. A lot of those guys end up coaching..

43. irishman5574 said, on March 19, 2012 at 1:14 pm

So is Gregor the next Andre Torres. Late bloomer??

44. twinfan1 said, on March 19, 2012 at 3:11 pm

As of now there are two losers in the Manning fiasco– and Smith ain’t one of them. They are T-blow and the 49ers, who disgraced themselves regardless of who ends up under center. Pretending that Smith is or will be a loser is wishful thinking. I’d be shocked if he didn’t end up with more than the original Niner offer, so he be a winner, kids.
    As to Seatttle, let’s check out the logic behind the theory that they didn’t want him-they invite him to visit and work out, and then see something in him on Sunday that makes them change their mind.. uh, he overthrew the dog on the morning ball toss? Oh wait- actually he was in Miami Sunday and Seattle simply decided they didn’t want to lose out completely, so they signed Flynn…
    Now it is possible that the Niners are prepared to begin the Kappy era now, which would make me dead wrong and them dead stupid..
    BTW, before Manning even “came out” and all the world was atwitter with T-Blow mania, I posted the best way Elway to get out from under it was to get Manning and trade T-Blow to Jacksonville. Wonder if we get the second part, looks pretty good. BTW, if challenged, I *would* find the post and it *would* cost bucks for having the temerity to doubt my word. I’m no Jim Harbaugh…

• irishman5574 said, on March 19, 2012 at 3:23 pm

TF I am not saying you are wrong, but here is another take. So Smith did not sign the last offer the Niners made. Maybe going after Manning was the Niners way of saying to Smith, go ahead check with other teams and see what they offer you. Smith now found out he is not such a hot commodity. He is the one who might have to come slinking back to get the 49ers to accept him.

• blade3colorado said, on March 19, 2012 at 3:27 pm

That last offer was insulting to Smith Kevin. True, Smith may have overplayed his hand . . . If I am him, I tell my agent to cool the rhetoric and not sign anything that Miami puts in front of him, e.g., dinner check, contracts, etc.

• twinfan1 said, on March 19, 2012 at 3:42 pm

We’ll see. Regardless, the traditional Smith haters will spin (lie) what happens. Pretty amusing notion that “slinking back” would happen. They are going to offer him a deal now or not , he’s not going to beg for it and they’re not doing anything *because* he begged for it- “slinking back” is how the haters would put it. And, yeah, going after Manning was just a sham to teach that boy a lesson. Astounding that animus towards Smith has gone UP since coming within those botched punt returns of going to the Super Bowl. That’s all on Harbaugh, as it was the inevitable upshot if they lost out on Manning.

• irishman5574 said, on March 19, 2012 at 3:47 pm

alright I will concede the slinking back comment. lol

• snarkk said, on March 19, 2012 at 3:54 pm

No disgrace whatever trying to improve your team, or at least looking at the opportunity to improve your team. If Alex has his feelings hurt, tough. He’s a free agent, he can go anywhere he wants. This is the NFL, not KinderKare…

• twinfan1 said, on March 19, 2012 at 5:13 pm

Except they would not have improved the team. And I’m sick of this shit about how “this is the NFL”. I’ll repeat what Poole correctly noted:
        “Does Harbaugh want to put his integrity on the line? That’s what he’d do if Manning signs with San Francisco. The implicit message to everyone in the locker room: Watch what I do, not what I say.”
        Harbaugh showed himself to be a man whose word cannot be trusted…

• snarkk said, on March 19, 2012 at 5:38 pm

Who appointed Monty Poole the arbiter of NFL free agency rules and regs?
        Nobody…

45. ewisco said, on March 19, 2012 at 3:19 pm

good article by baggs on csnbayarea (like baggs has any bad articles) about GB. Apparently he was hurt (wrist) and overweight (20 lbs) last couple of years. feels he is now the player he wants to be. someone there mentioned how trading huff could open lots of options to keep players like blanco and maybe even sanchez. I must admit it never occurred to me that they would trade huff because i would assume we would fall into the ocean first. can’t think of anyone who would really need him. and sabes/bochy letting a vet go to keep some kids. well the word doubtful comes to mind. but it would open the lineup to bringing north a pretty varied group of youth and vets with complimentary skills and a ton more speed. do you think they’ll get a pitcher, infielder or outfielder from kc for whiteside/stewart? could be a good poll question. or not.

• Bozo said, on March 19, 2012 at 3:28 pm

The Brewers would be a great fit for Huff. But it would fuck Ishi’s chances for starting yet again.

• blade3colorado said, on March 19, 2012 at 3:33 pm

Bozo* or ewisco – How is Huff doing in Spring Training?

* Not certain why I’m asking you John, since you get everything second hand like I do too. :-)

46. unca_chuck said, on March 19, 2012 at 4:14 pm

Ahhh, didn’t now there was so mcuh Smith talk over here. And I said the same thing to Kevin on my blog. Smith will now likey get a deal better than the one that Flynn got.

Smith knows (as do the Niners) that going to Miami would be a disaster of epic proportions. For Smith AND the Niners.

• snarkk said, on March 19, 2012 at 4:21 pm

I wouldn’t rip on Belt’s wife at all. She looks like a nice girl. The question will be if she’ll still be nice in his view if/when he gets his first contract for $20 million. Because he seems like a pretty grounded kid, I’m guessing yes…

• twinfan1 said, on March 19, 2012 at 5:19 pm

Chuck, Miami was 6-3 last 9 games, and Joe Philbin is a highly rated offensive minded coach. I think and hope it’s time for Alex to move on and let the Niners get on with rebuilding again..

• twinfan1 said, on March 19, 2012 at 5:33 pm

Lowell Cohn said this and gave it his approval:
      “It means Harbaugh would act as if he’s close to Smith, a friend, and allow the caddie routine and then go behind his back for another QB. This makes Harbaugh extremely cold-blooded. Is that bad?”
      As the saying goes,”trust me” is Jimmy Talk for “Fuck You”..

47. twinfan1 said, on March 19, 2012 at 5:42 pm

Smith haters will love this- Garrard signed with the Dophins. Don’t know if if means Smith opted out or what.

48. Flavor said, on March 19, 2012 at 5:49 pm

So in the end, it’s exactly as I said it was: there just isn’t that much of a market in the NFL for Alex Smith. He got exactly one offer. And by that measure, though the contract offer was low, it was the correct offer to make. Why pay more if you aren’t competing against anyone? If the DOlphins had come in with 4 years/34 mil, something like that, then the Niner’s hand would have been forced. But they didn’t and if I’m York et al I wouldn’t pay much more than they originally offered if anything at all.I know I said add a year of guaranteed money earlier today but that’s unnecessary since there is no other offer……..
    He’ll be fine once he signs and Harbaugh gives him a hair-shuffle and a couple of ass pats “It was Peyton Manning, we had to try” will be the message……..

• twinfan1 said, on March 19, 2012 at 5:57 pm

We don’t know if the report was correct that he would only sign with Miami if 49ers signed Manning. Harbaugh’s tweet suggests he thought some mending of fences was needed.No need for that if Alex had nowhere to go. I think I’d wait to see what went down.

49. twinfan1 said, on March 19, 2012 at 5:51 pm

Before Garrard signed, Harbaugh tweeted this to Barrows after leaving team headquarters:
    “Still gone. Either patching things up w/ No. 11 or took a half day”.

• snarkk said, on March 19, 2012 at 6:25 pm

Here’s the tweet, in quotes. Looks to me like that is Barrows joking around, responding to a question about JH’s location tweeted in to Barrows by some other twitter fool. If you read the earlier thread of tweets, the media has been watching for Harbaugh all day. So, IMO that is not Harbaugh “tweeting” to Barrows, — but someone correct me if that’s not the case, I’m no twitter expert.

“Matt Barrows ‏ @mattbarrows
      Still gone. Either patching things up w/ No. 11 or took a half day… @rondiggy8: Did JH ever return to HQ’s after leaving the building?”

• Flavor said, on March 19, 2012 at 6:38 pm

I agree with you, I don’t think that was a Harbaugh tweet…….

50. blade3colorado said, on March 19, 2012 at 6:04 pm

Flav, I know, they made Smith a three-year, $24 million offer that he didn’t sign, but after what Seattle did with free-agent Matt Flynn you can see why Smith felt slighted, right? Flynn got a better deal for what? Playing two games? Smith won a division title with the 49ers and had them within one victory of the Super Bowl, and that should count for something.

If Twin is correct about Harbaugh’s tweet, then at least Harbaugh is coming out of his fucking fog and recognizing what a big mess the Niners made in dissing Alex. Like I said earlier, this crap would never happen on Eddie’s watch . . . York and the rest of the empty suits running the 49ers have a record of doing this type of bullshit.

• twinfan1 said, on March 19, 2012 at 6:14 pm

The tweet was reported bt Barrows, who covers the Niners for the Sacramento Bee.

51. Bozo said, on March 19, 2012 at 6:06 pm

First off I’m not a Manning fan. And I know all that is fed to us through the press isn’t always the way things come down but this is how I remember the events. I’m sure I will be corrected by both the Smith and Manning sides here but again, this is how I remember it. The 49ers made an offer to Smith, he apparently didn’t agree with the up front monies (not the total and not the years). His agent at the time (also Manning’s agent) opened up talks to Seattle. The forty Niners then went to the super secret try out. In the mean time they had also signed Moss and in a Tweet Jed said something about Manning throwing the passes to Moss. It gets released that the 9ers gave a look at Manning. Seattle goes another way, Smith fires his agent and begins talks with Miami. Manning goes to Denver.
    If I have this correct, it sounds to me like Jed didn’t like being turned down and a certain agent was whispering sweet Mannings in his ear. Jed probably had visions of Uncle Eddie saying Smith is out of here or something. It seems to me that both Smith and the niners got played by the agent.

• Bozo said, on March 19, 2012 at 6:27 pm

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that originally it was reported that Denver had a 60 mil offer on the table for Manning and it kinda zoomed to 90 mil after the Niners got in the game. Again, this was a Boras type of move except he also played his clients against each other.

52. Alleykat said, on March 19, 2012 at 6:11 pm

Didn’t Alex atleast get an offer from the Lingerie Football League backing up Mark Rypien’s daughter?

53. twinfan1 said, on March 19, 2012 at 6:11 pm

NFL Network’s Rebecca Haarlow said that “The Dolphins, who Smith met with Smith for five hours on Sunday and have reportedly begun contract negotiations, are said to have made a similar offer of $8 million per year, but for more than three years”.
    It’s unclear whether Smith ceased negotiations leading to trhe Garrard signing or not. But it’s been reported by more than one souce that Miami did offer him a contraact.

54. Flavor said, on March 19, 2012 at 6:18 pm

Basically, where the NIners completely fucked up was not being honest about their interest. There would have nothing wrong with saying here’s our offer and while you’re thinking it over we’re gonna go kick the tires on Manning. The fact that it was all done in secret (and really, how dumb is that? Condon knew about the trip and he’s the agent to both) is where this really went screwy……….
    Flynn was a gross over payment that the Seahawks will regret. But doesn’t that tell you something about what they thought about Smith if they were willing to fork over 26 mil to a guy who’s played 2 games?
    And Miami signing Garrard is just a way to buy time until they draft their next QB either this year with the 8 pick or next year. Garrard sucks. Can’t wait to see what he signed for. It couldn’t be more than a year, I wouldn’t think……..

• snarkk said, on March 19, 2012 at 6:45 pm

How do we KNOW that the Niners didn’t tell Alex that they were kicking the Manning tires? Somebody link me to a credible report of a timeline on who knew what and when. Sheez, the media didn’t even know the Niners were in N. Carolina with Manning, so how would they know if the Niners told Alex about it or not? Branch, the so-called SFGate “Insider” said today that “It is not known when the 49ers began their official pursuit of Manning – or when Smith first became aware of the team’s bid for Manning’s services.” I don’t put much stock in these Insider guys. But, he at least has phone numbers to call. If HE doesn’t know who knew what and when, then nobody here knows either, and conclude on no evidence whatsoever that the Niners shafted or lied to Alex, or that he found out only from media after the fact that they were talking to Manning. It is more logical that he did know, either from the Niners or from his common agent Condon. Why would the Niners be kicking tires on Manning and not tell Alex while they had an open offer to him that he could accept? And, is there any credible report that Alex somehow lost out on signing elsewhere at more money than the Niner’s put on the table because of any of what happened in the last 10 days?. I haven’t seen one…

• snarkk said, on March 19, 2012 at 7:07 pm

In fact, if Condon did not tell Alex about the Niners looking at Manning (or about Manning calling them first, whichever happened), he could have breached his duty of loyalty to Alex under his agency relationship. The Niners certainly knew about that agency arrangement, and the possible implications of that duty of loyalty if they had wanted to keep the Manning info from Alex…

55. DJLoo said, on March 19, 2012 at 6:23 pm

I don’t know where you get your information, but I don’t like it. The main thing about money, Bud, is that it makes you do things you don’t want to do.

56. twinfan1 said, on March 19, 2012 at 6:26 pm

I’m still waiting for an explanation as to why Seattle would invite Smith and on the same weekend change their mind about being interested? All signing Flynn shows, IMO, is that they wanted to be sure to get one of them, with Smith already in Miami.

• Flavor said, on March 19, 2012 at 6:34 pm

All Smith did was fly out to Florida. There was no indication that Miami was set to offer him a deal, and in fact never did. There was also no indication that Seattle *panicked*. And if Seattle was worried about that trip don’t you think they would have contacted COndon to find out what’s going on? And if they did, why would Condon limit his options by saying “Yup, looks like Miami is gonna lock him up. And then MIami doesn’t even offer him a deal.
      Look, Seattle stupidly decided that they wanted Flynn and figured they’d have to overpay to get him to sign right away, which is what he did.
      If they had scheduled a trip out for Smith it was probably just to kick the tires, players visit other clubs all the time to see if there’s mutual interest……..

• snarkk said, on March 19, 2012 at 6:53 pm

Don’t forget Harbaugh dissed the Dolphins in the Harbaugh for HC sweepstakes last year. The Florida owner may not be averse to a little payback by effing around with Alex to help him drive his price up for the Niners…

• twinfan1 said, on March 19, 2012 at 7:00 pm

It appears that Garrard was signed as a back up to Matt Moore- and a one year contract with no guarantee unless he makes the team. Multiple sources reported that Smith was offered 8 million for at least 3 years. I’ve cited the sources before.The nitpicking is because Smith left without signing. He’s currently with harbaugh in Santa Clara.

• twinfan1 said, on March 19, 2012 at 7:10 pm

You “kick the tires” by checking the guy out., not by inviting him and canceling- so my question goes unanswered. And why the “if” on them inviting him, there’s no question on that.

57. DJLoo said, on March 19, 2012 at 6:32 pm

Shit… I’m waiting for the sun to shine.

58. twinfan1 said, on March 19, 2012 at 6:36 pm

I did misunderstand the tweet- it was a joke. I’m suing that effing doctor.

59. Flavor said, on March 19, 2012 at 6:40 pm

60. ewisco said, on March 19, 2012 at 7:08 pm

nice to see you rising and shining BF

• Flavor said, on March 19, 2012 at 8:01 pm

fleeting moment, I’m back down for the count

61. paulinasia said, on March 19, 2012 at 7:26 pm

What Harbaugh did with Smith seems a bit ironic and reminiscent of how McDaniels mishandled the situation in Denver, expressing interest in Cassell while Cutler was the supposed QB of the present/future, pissing Cutler off so he demanded to go elsewhere, which resulted in the trade that sent Orton to Denver which basically resulted in Tebow getting the wary nod as starter, and now Manning, courted (maybe?) by SF, goes to Denver and Tebow goes who knows where… and everyone in SF hopes Smith is still actually sticking around. As the football turns…

• twinfan1 said, on March 19, 2012 at 7:41 pm

Yeah, it’s funny-pathetic. The Smith haters want him back but only if they feel he was humiliated first..

62. zumie said, on March 19, 2012 at 7:30 pm

Blade, Eddie D had an amazing run with the Niners, but there was the rare screw-up here and there under his ownership. Getting rid of Charles Haley ranks up there. The transition from Montana to Young probably could have been handled a little better. Eddie D himself getting in trouble and losing ownership of the team was a fiasco.

• blade3colorado said, on March 19, 2012 at 7:48 pm

Charles Haley was a frickin’ flake, so no biggie in my mind. Montana was my hero, so yeah that pissed me off that he got pushed out before his time was up (and it wasn’t, because he performed admirably for KC). I never warmed up to Young. Not certain that Eddie was ultimately responsible for that or the GM (was Walsh the GM?) and/or Seifert were?

You’re right that Eddie didn’t do himself many favors by the gambling trouble, but I blame the Commissioner and owners for forcing him out. Jealousy in my mind. In short, Eddie was a “Giant” compared to York, his wife, and the rest of the mental midget owners that populate the NFL today.

• snarkk said, on March 19, 2012 at 8:05 pm

If Benson, the Saint’s owner, knew about the “bounty” system going on and tolerated it, to me that would be enough to force an owner out of “the club”. Supposedly he did not know….

• blade3colorado said, on March 19, 2012 at 8:17 pm

I heard about that, but don’t know the details. You’re right though snarkk – if he knew, then he should be ousted from the league . . . Snarkk, any idea if Sean Payton was aware (or, was he primarily responsible)?

This is especially egregious after seeing 60 Minutes interview with Jim McMahon, who is suffering from concussion induced dementia.

• snarkk said, on March 19, 2012 at 10:52 pm

Yeah, Blade, Payton is implicated. He’s even apologized for his role, I think last week, to get ahead of or hopefully reduce the hammer blows from Goodell. Probably Google it, and you’ll find the apology. The D coordinator is probably going to take most of the heat, he supposedly was the organizer, but Payton at minimum turned his head from it and let it go on…

63. blade3colorado said, on March 19, 2012 at 7:32 pm

Paul, I had forgotten about the McDaniels situation you cited – I agree.

By the by, you’re a professor, so I defer to you . . . But that is the longest sentence I have ever seen and you did it without one semi-colon. :-)

64. paulinasia said, on March 19, 2012 at 7:44 pm

Yes, Steve, it’s called a run-on sentence, which seemed appropriate for this run-on situation….. :-) A rose is a rose is a rose….

65. paulinasia said, on March 19, 2012 at 8:11 pm

Interesting take by Henry on the bench situation (oops, sorry! need a transition: and now, a baseball note). Which, actually, isn’t just a bench situation, it’s quite entangled with possible starters as well, in the OF as well as the IF. Two weeks ago and some major decisions to be made. Fun stuff.

66. paulinasia said, on March 19, 2012 at 8:20 pm

Um… that should’ve said “two weeks to go”…..

67. willieD said, on March 19, 2012 at 9:33 pm

this is a business, it has zero to do with the alex lovers or haters. SF moved first and makes an offer, alex says i’ll think about it, and then goes on tour, which is his option. It’s FA time, there are multiple guys out there, one of which happens to be a HOF guy…so baalke was supposed to sit back like a wuss bait schoolboy and hope smith calls back and accepts his offer? What is this, the junior prom?
    Pls. They went and looked at the goods, and Harbs was impressed enough to say let’s make an offer, to the HOF guy. Meanwhile, alex is still thinking about it and happens to be 3000 miles away. You can’t blame SF for trying to get someone better than Kapps which is all they have. If alex is pissed, then sign elsewhere. Other wise, take the $24 million and sniff and sob all the way to the bank.

• Flavor said, on March 20, 2012 at 5:38 am

absolutely dead on post

68. snarkk said, on March 19, 2012 at 9:33 pm

Low class move by Dubs fans tonite. They booed Lacob unmercifully when he was called as the last speaker to announce the number retirement for Mullin and unveil the hanging jersey. Mullin and then Rick Barry got on the PA to tell the crowd basically to shut up and give the new owner some slack. Embarrassing for Mullin, after telling the crowd how great they always were. Weird; the fans boo the owner, yet continue to buy tickets in droves for his team that continues to suck eggs…

• St said, on March 19, 2012 at 10:20 pm

Agree…awkward moment to say the least.

69. willieD said, on March 19, 2012 at 9:45 pm

Players and mgmt. have fought over contracts since time immemorial. Mgmt. says, if he doesn’t want to play for us, then fine we’re going forward with the guys who are in camp and practicing and working hard together for our team yadda yadda. The player says I deserve more and they know it and loved me for what i did for them last season. Now they find all these little things to bitch about?
    Same old same old.

70. willieD said, on March 19, 2012 at 10:07 pm

I realize it’s only the NIT, but watching Illinois St redbirds knock down 3s like nobody’s biz is pretty cool to watch. Furd is staying right with them, tho they just made 3 dumb t/os by Bright, Powell (who is complete doofus) and Owens and gave up hoops at the other end. They’ve hit 5 in the second half in 8 minutes, 12-21 for the game after going 17-23 vs. Ole miss on the road and scored 90 some odd points..

71. willieD said, on March 19, 2012 at 10:28 pm

aaron bright is lighting up the redbirds by himself, with 25 and a highlight reel deke. furd have hit 10 out of 15 3s themselves. great f-ing ballgame, too bad someone in red has to lose.

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 493 other followers