Preparing for the Return of The Panda

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on June 2, 2012

I liked Bochy’s idea of putting Theriot in the 2-spot upon his return from the disabled list. He needs to find out ASAP if Theriot can do the job regularly. And there’s no better way to see if he can still hit than by putting him in the 2-hole where he knows he’ll get a bunch of fastballs to hit. To his credit, he’s succeeding. Crawford also benefited from that spot but if you have to pick between the 2 of them it does make more sense to have The Riot in that spot instead of Crawford. It will also fix a little bit of our infield when Pablo comes back.

Brandon is on the clock right now. If Theriot continues to show he’s healthy he’s probably locked up 2nd base and the #2 spot for more than a little while. That leaves Crawford as the odd man out with Panda taking 3rd base back and Arias then sliding over to shortstop. Although don’t look now but Arias is hardly tearing the cover off the ball—at .234 he’s fitting right in with the rest of our infielders: Belt (.230), Crawford (.222), Pill (.208), Huff (.160), Burriss (.212) and Theriot (.234). Wow, I didn’t realize how pathetic that group is until I typed it all out in one sentence. I guess “fitting right in” is an inaccurate way to describe Arias. He’s more like, “King of a Pile of Shit” with that .234 batting average…….

________________________________________________________

by the way, I totally agree with The 3 Dot Lounge this morning. A Kemp-less Dodger team for another month is going to be too big of a blow for them to withstand. Ethier can’t do it all by himself. And that starting rotation has already started to crack. Lilly is now on the DL and Chris Capuano, who’s been doing this with mirrors, finally started to get hit-up a little last night. I like Capuano, I even used him as an example in the off season as a cheap pitcher to target to fill your #5 spot, but he’s no 2.50ERA/1.08 WHIP guy. Both of those stats will start to rise, along with his loss column. We will  be in first place, maybe by 3 or 4 games, when Matt Kemp comes back in a month……..

About these ads

1. Nipper said, on June 2, 2012 at 7:11 am

Together we’re GIANT!

• blade3colorado said, on June 2, 2012 at 7:30 am

Okie dokie!!!!!!

2. blade3colorado said, on June 2, 2012 at 7:16 am

Weatherproof games: Red Sox at Blue Jays, Orioles at Rays, Reds at Astros and Pirates at Brewers.

A thunderstorm could be in the offing for Denver and Cleveland on Saturday, though both cities should be fine for Sunday action. Some Saturday showers are expected for both Detroit and New York, which could carry over a bit into the tail end of the weekend. The forecast calls for cloudy skies and 76 degrees in Philadelphia, with similar temperatures but a bit more cloudy skies in Washington. Kansas City will be in the 80s with the chances of a morning thunderstorm hitting the region on Sunday. Chicago also has a slight chance of some showers this weekend, but nothing too serious on the weather map. As usual, California’s baseball games may see some low clouds or fog, but little else by way of meteorological interference.

3. willieD said, on June 2, 2012 at 7:20 am

nyjer morgan homered and got his first rbi of the season, in like 130 ABs last night then misplayed a ball hit his way with the bases loaded that went for a double and allowed all 3 runners to score. imo, just a matter taken up by the Great Karmatic Equalizer.
    I was surprised bum came out, but the ryan braun had to be on bochy’s mind. With none out and two on it could have been one of those tough innings that are harder on a guy’s arm, and at least at that point bum could not have gotten the L.
    Anything hit near casilla, tho is bound to be an adventure..remember the one the other night where he stabbed ther combebacker an dthen rolled over before completing tthrow to 1b?

• Nipper said, on June 2, 2012 at 7:31 am

Pitchers shouldn’t hit or field. Yes I know it’s not traditional but to heck with traditions.

• Nipper said, on June 2, 2012 at 7:43 am

They do so poorly and get injured too!

• Alleykat said, on June 2, 2012 at 7:44 am

So Nip…A Pitcher shouldn’t. field a bunt or cover 1st base and ketch a toss from the 1st Basemen or back up 3rd base and home plate.Okie Dokie …..Guess it should be the same in the NFL…Akers kicks off then runs to the sidelines for a espresso.

• Nipper said, on June 2, 2012 at 8:29 am

Covering first is dangerous! And some do it so poorly it makes me shudder!

• eddacker said, on June 2, 2012 at 3:26 pm

It should be a rule they can do it but they can’t get hurt

4. blade3colorado said, on June 2, 2012 at 7:29 am

I saw the Dodgers last night against the Rockies and they looked pathetic. Besides the 4 errors, that resulted in 4 unearned runs, the seven runs allowed by Capuano were one shy of his career high. The Rockies had their star pitcher (NOT) Josh Outman, who sports a 5.63 ERA, out on the hill going from the bullpen to the rotation spot left vacant when Jamie Moyer was cut by Colorado earlier this week, allowed two hits in 3 1/3 scoreless innings as part of a pitching-by-committee approach. LMAO. Folks, you know you’re in trouble if you can only muster 3 runs against the Rockies sorry sack of shit pitchers at Coors Field.

If the Giants can take advantage of the “Kempless” Bums current woes, yeah, I can see them up by 3-4 games in about a month.

• Nipper said, on June 2, 2012 at 7:32 am

Dodgers D is a gift that keeps on giving. Giants will soon be in first. Book it!

5. Nipper said, on June 2, 2012 at 7:35 am

Oh and Blue keeps making grievous mistakes in the field. The Mets no-hitter proved that for sure.

• Nipper said, on June 2, 2012 at 7:40 am

Lets have more replay…..NOW! Fire the Commish…..NOW!

• Del Mar Dennis said, on June 2, 2012 at 7:53 am

So demanding this bright Saturday morning. Someone not have their Bull Shot?
        Can you make a Bull Shot?

6. willieD said, on June 2, 2012 at 7:37 am

I made a comment few days ago about LA LU before Kemp came back, how pathetic it was. Imo, ellis the C and gwynn are hitting over their heads, and no reason at all now to pitch to Ethier. What’s left is very ordinary and much worse than SF. Not to mention they don’t have our pitching depth in SPs or pen.
    Check box for who they had in there last night:
    Ivan deJesus Jr.
    Jerry Hairston Jr.
    Castellanos rookie
    Van Slyke rookie
    Gordon
    off the bench loneyu adam kennedy and the rookie kid herrera

• blade3colorado said, on June 2, 2012 at 7:51 am

Gordon sucks as a SS too. He is so bad as a leadoff hitter (no power, with a .222 BA and .264 OBP), that Gwynn has supplanted him in that spot and pushed him to the 8th slot in the lineup. If he didn’t steal (14), he would be useless, as he can’t field very well either.

7. TedSpe said, on June 2, 2012 at 7:47 am

——————————————————————————————————————
    I can imagine. It was painful just reading it

8. DJLoo said, on June 2, 2012 at 7:48 am

I love Arias’ new nickname, Flav. Hope it sticks…

9. Wilcojoe said, on June 2, 2012 at 7:51 am

I am not going to count the Dodgers out quite yet…Every team hit’s a rock bottom point at least once a season, converesely the Giants might be playing their best ball of the year right now…Let’s not put the champagne on ice quite yet…The good news is, I expect this to be one of the all-time great Giants-Dodger rivalries, especially with so many games remaining between the two…This season could be one for the ages…I am pretty psyched.

• blade3colorado said, on June 2, 2012 at 8:01 am

I will respond in my best Nipper persona . . . “Wilcojoe brings Flapper nation back to Earth.”

• blade3colorado said, on June 2, 2012 at 8:12 am

Anyone remember this line from the movie 48 Hrs?

Jack: You’re not gonna make it.
        Ganz: What are you talkin’ about? I got your gun! I got the money! I got everything! *

*Now substitute “I got King of a pile of shit!”

• Nipper said, on June 2, 2012 at 8:35 am

Wilcojoe shoots down Giants Fever balloon!

• blade3colorado said, on June 2, 2012 at 8:40 am

Nipper is the master of mirth and brevity, i.e., he nails it every time. :-)

• Wilcojoe said, on June 2, 2012 at 8:43 am

Blade, 48Hrs is actually one of my all time favorite movies…Top 3 for sure.

10. Wilcojoe said, on June 2, 2012 at 7:57 am

BTW , I hope Twin keeps the Baseball Therapy sessions up in Room B for the rest of the season…There is some great stuff over there…I forsee many a night when the Jack Daniels kicks in, Townes Van Zandt plays on my Iphone and I throw up a memory or two over there.

11. twinfan1 said, on June 2, 2012 at 8:33 am

As everyone *should* know, and I’ve pointed out just in case, Arias has at least shown that he can hit a little up here. Even the hugely maligned Burriss has shown some ability to swing a bat and make semi-regular contact. Crawford hasn’t shown he can hit anywhere above A ball and he’s played cruddy defense, including his “my feet are stuck in wet cement” effort in the ninth inning last night. Here are the Major League numbers for the Gang of 4:

(BA, OBP, OPS)
    Burriss .244 .306 .578
    Arias .264 .302 .652
    Crawford .212 .282 .583
    Theriot .281 .342 .694

Even Mudbug’s OPS is just a whisper above that of the totally punchless Burriss. There’s zero question that the middle infield should be Theriot/Arias, as I’ve posted several times. The Crawdad experiment should be over, perhaps he can be made into a fine Étouffée…

craw

• Nipper said, on June 2, 2012 at 8:37 am

Twin votes thumbs down on Crawdad!

• blade3colorado said, on June 2, 2012 at 8:38 am

If we had options, all these “experiments” would be in Fresno right now.

• twinfan1 said, on June 2, 2012 at 8:53 am

Arias and Theriot are perfectly acceptable MLB utilty players. They weren’t expected to starters. Crawdad ( who most suppoprted) and Fruckie were to be the middle infield (by May 1 or so with the Fruckenmeister). Obviously, the FO was wrong to count on either one. Anyway, the team has flaws- fewer than the rest of the West, however.

• Alleykat said, on June 2, 2012 at 9:46 am

I n a perfect rich filled Giants team.Sterling Castro SS and Robinson Cano 2B.Yeah just dreaming…..

12. Alleykat said, on June 2, 2012 at 8:56 am

(Reggie shaking down a redneck at a country bar)
    Reggie: What’s this wad of money?
    Redneck: Tax Refund!
    Reggie: Bullshit! Your to stupid to have a job!

13. twinfan1 said, on June 2, 2012 at 9:46 am

Here’s a link to a piece on Belt and his swing, including 3 swings- last year, “Bad Belt” this year, and “Better Belt” this year. I’m posting this without comment.

• WilcoJoe said, on June 2, 2012 at 10:03 am

Agree with the poster, don’t really notice much a of a difference except for a little bit more of an open stance in the “good Belt” AB…I get a kick out of these, “good Belt” “bad Belt” stances…Has there been a “good Belt” since he’s been in the Bigs? How ’bout a shot of him when he was raking in Fresno?

• WilcoJoe said, on June 2, 2012 at 10:08 am

I do agree that it’s time to just let him play everyday…I honestly think sitting him against the LH’s is a fucking joke…I’ve said it before, seems like his best AB’s have been against the southpaws….I don’t disagree with Bochy much, and I know that their record has been great against lefties, but I certianly don’t attribute that to Brett Pill.

• twinfan1 said, on June 2, 2012 at 10:27 am

Well, he hit 7 HR in his last 111 AB last year. But as his HR numbers went up, he also went below .300 in OBP. He was Crawford with major power.

14. WilcoJoe said, on June 2, 2012 at 10:11 am

Justin Christian has absolutely been raking it in Fresno…I know their is no room in the OF right now, but would anyone prefer Huff or Pill on the club ahead of this guy?

• twinfan1 said, on June 2, 2012 at 10:29 am

Christian was tried, Kieschnick is the prospect.

• Wilcojoe said, on June 2, 2012 at 10:42 am

I think Kieschnick (sp) went on the DL…But I do agree. If Blanco falters, Roger gets first dibs.

• twinfan1 said, on June 2, 2012 at 11:04 am

I’m not worried about Blanco. Nate needs to step aside, “Don’t stand in the doorway
        Don’t block up the hall..” The neo-Bowker gang is awaitin’

• twinfan1 said, on June 2, 2012 at 11:08 am

I hadn’t seen that about Roger, left shoulder doesn’t sound good..

15. Flavor said, on June 2, 2012 at 10:28 am

Another comment about Belt’s swing. Someone was being interviewed on KNBR the other day (can’t remember who) and they were saying his swing isn’t very flat so it spends less time in the zone and he’s got less of a chance to square the ball up because of it. Sounded reasonable to me.

16. Flavor said, on June 2, 2012 at 10:31 am

I’ve got a bad feeling about BTS today as I try to run my streak to 20. After changing it several times I’ve settled on Ichiro and Miggy Cabrera.

• Flavor said, on June 2, 2012 at 11:15 am

Just subbed Pagan in for Miggy. I need these picks to lock already, lol

17. twinfan1 said, on June 2, 2012 at 11:45 am

I never thought Bill Hall got a decent shot here. He’s been DFA’ed by the O’s. Hey, he’s only 6 years removed from a 35 HR season…I know he pretty much sucks but he has 1 HR in 9 AB this year, get him just 360 AB and he’s “on pace” for 40…I’m checking on ownage…

18. Flavor said, on June 2, 2012 at 12:19 pm

Now going with Beltre and Kipnis. That’s it, I’m not changing it again. Let the hits fall where they may. :)

• blade3colorado said, on June 2, 2012 at 1:49 pm

Suzuki just went yard.

• blade3colorado said, on June 2, 2012 at 1:49 pm

do you still have him?

• Flavor said, on June 2, 2012 at 2:02 pm

On a fantasy team? I do not have him.
        BTS? I’ve never used an Oakland A before.

• Flavor said, on June 2, 2012 at 2:07 pm

I see you are now talking about Ichiro. I’ve never heard anyone ever call him Suzuki, lol. No, I bailed on him, went with Beltre and Kipnis.

19. Flavor said, on June 2, 2012 at 1:11 pm

I always thought Bill Hal;l was a steroid guy and said so at the time we signed him. He had a little revival in the weirdness of Fenway back in 2010 but if the Giants had seen enough after 16 games last year I can’t imagine why they would re-sign him now.

• twinfan1 said, on June 2, 2012 at 1:53 pm

I made a couple comments, didn’t think they would sign him. No BFD. *Derrek* Lee is not retired but not playing. He’s available. He supposedly turned down arb from Pittsburgh and was making over 7 million. I doubt the Giants are willing to pay 20 million for two first basemen.

• Flavor said, on June 2, 2012 at 2:01 pm

I know he’s not playing, that’s why I threw his name out there. I would think that at this point, without any suitors, he would drop his asking price. And I wouldn’t want to play for Pittsburgh either.
        All I’m saying is that he had quite a career, maybe sitting around for a few months has gotten old for him and he’d want to take one last stab at winning something in his career (he might have won a WS with the 2003 Florida team but by and large he’s played on shitty teams his entire career).
        A quick google search turned this up from May 7th:
        Derrek Lee has continued working out and is said to be in excellent shape. Rosenthal wonders if he would want to play for the Brewers after they lost Mat Gamel to injury as he turned down offers from the Pirates and several other teams last offseason. Lee would probably need to be convinced that Milwaukee is ready to win and will likely seek a contract similar to what Johnny Damon got from the Indians – $1.25MM plus $1.4MM in incentives.

20. Flavor said, on June 2, 2012 at 1:15 pm

If I was scanning the waiver wire I’d take a look at what Derek Lee is doing these days……

• twinfan1 said, on June 2, 2012 at 2:58 pm

I would be shocked if they didn’t handle the 1B position internally. I see Pill as gone. As I’ve stated, I’m not wild about Posey or Panda playing first, but they can get sufficient offense with some combo of Belt/Huff/Posey/Panda/Hector. Please don’t make me explain the possible combinations, everybody here can figure them. Offer a Belt belt as a prize. BTW, I’ve never ruled out eating Huff’s contract but they aren’t fucking repacing it to make 1B a 20 million dollar position..

21. twinfan1 said, on June 2, 2012 at 1:54 pm

Blanco RF, Theriot 2B, Cabrera LF, Posey C, Pagan CF, Huff 1B, Arias 3B, Crawford SS, (Cain P)

22. Flavor said, on June 2, 2012 at 1:58 pm

Man, I hope the guys near the top of the LU do something because that is one ugly looking bottom 4. Actually, I do kinda like Arias. He’s ok. He LOOKS like he can produce, at least.
    I bailed on my Pagan pick in BTS because of the time of day and the weird shadows and shit. If I get through today I feel great about hitting 30 games. Full steam ahead!

23. twinfan1 said, on June 2, 2012 at 2:19 pm

The two is no magical spot. Theriot is a lifetime .280 hitter, he wasn’t going to hit .180 forever. He is very unlikely to stay there, though. It will probably be Pagan when Panda is back since it seems that Melky will stay in the 3.
    So it’s now looking like:
    Blanco
    Pagan
    Melky
    Posey
    Pablo
    First Baseman de Jour
    Theriot
    Arias/Crawdad

That puts the 5 best hitters in the first 5 spots, exactly as it should be.

• Flavor said, on June 2, 2012 at 2:22 pm

Jesus, man, we can’t bat Pablo in front of one of our first basemen, he’d get walked 4 times a game. If anything, bat one of our shitty first basemen in FRONT of Pablo……

24. Flavor said, on June 2, 2012 at 2:21 pm

What’s Huff still owed, about 7 million this year? Shit, if the Giants can eat Rowand’s 12 million left then I have to think eating Huff’s 7 would be easy. Of course, Pill is doing nothing and could easily be the one to go when Panda comes back. Crawford, too. Of those three I kinda feel like it’s going to be Crawford, as long as Theriot can hit ok in the 2 hole. We need Belt/Pill/Huff around to trot out the worst 3 headed first base platoon the league has ever seen……..

• twinfan1 said, on June 2, 2012 at 2:46 pm

10 million.
      And I already posted that Pill would be the likely victim. Crawford should go, too. He never should have been here. Also posted.
      Here are the choices:
      Pagan 2 Melky 3 Posey 4 Panda 5 1B6
      Melky 2 Posey 3, Panda 4, Pagan 5, 1B 6
      Melky 2 Posey 3, Panda 4 1B 5 Pagan 6 (this has been explained- Pagan is the ideal 6 because of his basestealing abilities)
      Panda in the 5 was a concession to what they’ve indicated they’ll do, keeping the Melky/Posey combo intact. I tried to balance the optimized LU with at least some reality as to what they will do. Until/if the firstbaseman hit, the true *best* 2-6 is Melky, Posey,Panda,Pagan,1B
      That is the absolute best that can be put with our personnel..

• DJLoo said, on June 2, 2012 at 3:48 pm

I guess because YOU explained it, it must be right. What team ever gave a fuck about having a #6 hitter who can steal bases? It’s the middle third of the order and much more of an RBI spot than a base stealing spot.

25. Flavor said, on June 2, 2012 at 2:52 pm

It’s entirely possible they keep Theriot in the 2 so I would question your list of *choices*. And I bet they leave Pagan where he is, too…………

26. twinfan1 said, on June 2, 2012 at 3:06 pm

So what’s your LU – the one you think THEY will do? I did have an option with Pagan in the 5, BTW. I do see it as possible that Theriot stays in the 2, just not likely. Crawdad was never staying, as I said the day they put him there. Unfortunately, many teams are still wedded to the idea that a scrappy midget hits in the two, but he should really be one of the 2 or 3 best hitters. What I listed is the way I think they’ll go.At least to start:
    Blanco
    Pagan
    Melky
    Posey
    Pablo
    First Baseman de Jour
    Theriot
    Arias/Crawdad

27. blade3colorado said, on June 2, 2012 at 3:12 pm

Flav, your 2:07pm post – yeah, he not only went yard once, but twice. Ichiro reminds me of what they said about Ty Cobb , i.e., they both have power, but both decided to be singles, doubles, and triples hitters. Obviously, I didn’t see Cobb, but I read his biography and he actually tried to hit HRs for part of a season to prove a point (he really disliked Ruth). Apparently, he was able to hit them and then quit trying to do that, after he made his point (in his mind).

28. Del Mar Dennis said, on June 2, 2012 at 3:21 pm

Maybe Pablo would like to borrow my Danica Doll. At least they don’t file charges.

29. Flavor said, on June 2, 2012 at 3:21 pm

It seems like you’re asking 2 different questions: “So what’s your LU – the one you think THEY will do?” I’m assuming you’re asking me what I think they will do when Pablo returns but you did say “what’s your LU?” so I’m not totally sure what you mean. But anyway……
    Tough to say since I think so much of it will depend on how Theriot does before Pablo comes back. They are OBVIOUSLY looking at him in the 2 hole to see if he can handle the job there (as well as at 2nd base). As I said in today’s main thread, depending on how Theriot does will probably directly effect the fate of BC. Personally, I don’t think Theriot can keep this going, either success at the plate or his health. So I will give you my LU, assuming that……..

Blanco
    Crawford
    Pablo
    Posey
    Melky
    Pagan
    Arias
    Belt
    P
    So, obviously, this is MY LU since it has no chance of happening upon Pablo’s return. I still like Crawford enough to play him, especially in the 2 hole where he was hitting decently enough. I just don’t think that if you start him at SS he should bat in front of the pitcher.
    Pablo is your best hitter, so he hits third. Posey seems comfortable in the 4. I don’t think Melky can keep this pace up but if he’s going to hit .300 from today till the end of the season I’d be fine with him in the 5. Pagan has been epic in the 5 but he has to slide down a spot upon Pablo’s return (in MY line up). Arias is fine in the 7. And Belt in the 8 using that *keen eye* to pick himself up a bunch of walks in front of the P. Besides, he might even run into one now and again and that gives the bottom of the LU a little power.
    Anyway, that’s a LU I’d like to see for a week at least……….

• twinfan1 said, on June 2, 2012 at 3:43 pm

It’s true, that’s obviously your LU. Also true- it has zero chance of happening. But I was unclear, I did mean the LU you think they’ll go to. In the no chance department are Crawford in the 2, Melky in the 5, Belt in the 8. What they’re OBVIOUSLY doing with Theriot is giving him the second base job. As I said, they might keep him the two, he fits the antiquated perception of what that LU position should be.

• Flavor said, on June 2, 2012 at 3:48 pm

So assuming Theriot stays productive and healthy, I think they’ll go
        Blanco
        Theriot
        Melky
        Posey
        Panda
        Pagan
        Belt/Pill/Huff
        Arias
        P

30. Alleykat said, on June 2, 2012 at 3:27 pm

So what’s the the deal about Panda now?Aptos police are questioning. him about a Sexual Assault at a motel Friday in Seascape.

• Flavor said, on June 2, 2012 at 3:30 pm

not enough info yet– it’s nothing right now.

31. twinfan1 said, on June 2, 2012 at 3:29 pm

In exciting news from the wRC+ front, Belt is tied with Pujols at 87 and we owe him 239.5 million less !!!

32. Bozo said, on June 2, 2012 at 3:36 pm

I just want to go on record (again?) IMO, Arias is best suited for a sub. A lot of you folks love the guy and I don’t get it. He’s been slow on defense and I’m not impressed that much with his bat. I prefer Crawford at SS and if needed Arias at second.

• Flavor said, on June 2, 2012 at 3:41 pm

I pretty much agree with you but I think Arias looks better when compared to the other players in the infield. He’s *fucked up less* than they have. He did basically win a game or two with his glove at third. And it’s entirely possible that he’s bothered a bit by getting hit in the wrist a couple of weeks ago. No fucking way he’d beg out of a start, this is his time, sometimes you only get one chance to shine……..

• twinfan1 said, on June 2, 2012 at 3:51 pm

These are their MLB numbers. What’s impossible to fathom is any continuing support for Crawford. Middle infield should be Arias/Theriot.
      Burriss .244 .306 .578
      Arias .264 .302 .652
      Crawford .212 .282 .583
      Theriot .281 .342 .694

• Flavor said, on June 2, 2012 at 3:57 pm

their major league numbers are irrelevant. As you pointed out the other day, who gives a shit what Torres did in 2002?
        Theriot is in the sunset of his career. If he can match his career numbers the rest of the way, the Giants would be ecstatic. But he will likely fall far short. We’ll see, I’m not that big of a Theriot fan but he’s preferred at 2nd (with Arias at SS) if those are my only *choices*.

• twinfan1 said, on June 2, 2012 at 4:02 pm

Theriot hit .271 last year, Crawford won’t come within 40 points of that in his life. The numbers are totally relevant. The middle infield *should* be Theriot/Arias.

• Flavor said, on June 2, 2012 at 4:05 pm

I’m not arguing that, in fact I said the same thing in the main thread today.

• Bozo said, on June 2, 2012 at 4:07 pm

twin I’m not trying to single you out on this. It just seems to me that the stats everyone are using are close to a Fantasy Team managers approach. Almost like a a Soph on steroids. I haven’t seen Arias play short, if you have seen something better than Crawford, OK I’ll defer to that. My point is everyone seems to be using batting stats for Craw, Belt and others, OK for FL play but it doesn’t include the whole package for a ML team.
        Belt is the best trade chip the Giants have available and some want to trade him. I’m thinking unless it is anything less than a HanRam type, it’s stupid.
        My question to you all, adding Panda into the line up can the Giants win the Division? I think yes .

33. DJLoo said, on June 2, 2012 at 3:38 pm

Any word on the extent of Casilla’s injury?

34. DJLoo said, on June 2, 2012 at 3:44 pm

My top on most days five would be:

Blanco
    Melky
    Pagan
    Panda
    Posey

Whoever’s going best of the rest can hit 6th.

• twinfan1 said, on June 2, 2012 at 3:57 pm

Those are currently the best five hitters, and batting the best 5 in the first five LU positions is far more important than where they hit in those 5 spots.

• blade3colorado said, on June 2, 2012 at 4:00 pm

I like this line up too . . . Agree ABSOLUTELY with, “Whoever’s going best of the rest can hit 6th.” Right now, that would probably be the “King of a Pile of Shit.”

• Flavor said, on June 2, 2012 at 4:04 pm

you just made Loo happy, the new nickname is catching on :)

• DJLoo said, on June 2, 2012 at 4:06 pm

Long live the King!

• twinfan1 said, on June 2, 2012 at 4:12 pm

Crawford is going to hit eight because there is zero doubt he’s the worst hitter and the worst hitter should hit eight. As long as he’s here, that is. Loo’s first five are are fine. So 6-7 is 1B or Theriot. You have to go with at least the potential of the long ball so it’s 1B 6,Theriot 7. But it’s not terribly important either way.

35. DJLoo said, on June 2, 2012 at 4:09 pm

Sounds like they’re wearing those asinine throwback uniforms. Glad it’s blacked out here…

• Flavor said, on June 2, 2012 at 4:13 pm

I think the Giants look sharp

• twinfan1 said, on June 2, 2012 at 4:38 pm

Loo, the ball dudes look older and more fragile than ever and there are infants on their laps, infants eating ice cream..

36. Flavor said, on June 2, 2012 at 4:20 pm

My feelings about who should play in our infield are a little subdued because frankly, I really don’t care. They’re all hitting .230ish and below, they all suck. Play who ever is hot, Boxhy is actually good at that. But NONE of them deserve a start every day.

37. Flavor said, on June 2, 2012 at 4:30 pm

God, listening to Stockton and that fucking ex-dodger announce this game is rough. I’m assuming radio isn’t synced up with tv, as usual? That’s so dumb.

38. DJLoo said, on June 2, 2012 at 4:32 pm

If it helps anyone, FOX NY just switched to Cubs-Giants due to rain delay in Detroit…

• Flavor said, on June 2, 2012 at 4:35 pm

You warming up to those uni’s yet? :)

• DJLoo said, on June 2, 2012 at 4:37 pm

Giants are better than I thought, Flav. Cubs are hideous.
        Any word on Casilla?

• Flavor said, on June 2, 2012 at 4:41 pm

He’s fine, the Merc said it might keep him out tonight, that’s it. Why, you think there might be some funny business going on?
        That play be Crawford is an example of what I said a little while back– maybe he’s just not as good defensively as everyone said he was

• twinfan1 said, on June 2, 2012 at 5:04 pm

He fooled a lot of people then, not just the Giants .He’s a very good defender whose confidence is shot.

• Bozo said, on June 2, 2012 at 5:00 pm

Thanks Loo – Giants on TV here on the East Coast? I’m one happy dude.

• Bozo said, on June 2, 2012 at 5:02 pm

The Giants wearing pin stripes and NY on their unis probably helped.

• Bozo said, on June 2, 2012 at 5:13 pm

Shit – back to Detroit.

39. blade3colorado said, on June 2, 2012 at 4:39 pm

Speaking of Lowrie (Oh, wait. No one was. Ha.) . . . He just went yard.

• Flavor said, on June 2, 2012 at 4:43 pm

Excellent, I’ve got him on 3 teams– he was one of about 9 guys I had in the BTS spot today, lol

• blade3colorado said, on June 2, 2012 at 4:50 pm

Yeah, I have him on my Yahoo team . . . I hate it though, when you have a pitcher on another team and league and it fucks up your ERA, etc. To wit, I have Latos on the Flap team and he took the “bullet” for my Yahoo team. :-)

40. DJLoo said, on June 2, 2012 at 4:41 pm

Crawford trying to recover a fumble?

• Del Mar Dennis said, on June 2, 2012 at 5:02 pm

Did you see Joe Torre hangin’ with Baffert down at Hollywood? That was a happy group after ‘Dude ran ‘em off their feet.

41. Del Mar Dennis said, on June 2, 2012 at 4:56 pm

If they fully intended this “Turn Back the Clock” theme, they’d play without helmets. Safety’s overrated.

• Flavor said, on June 2, 2012 at 5:03 pm

Looking at how big and cut these players are today in those 1912 uni’s it impossible to think that ANY player from that era could have ever done anything other than buy a ticket to a baseball game today. They just could never have competed with these athletes. That’s why I’ve always said that calling Babe Ruth the greatest player of all time is a joke.

42. blade3colorado said, on June 2, 2012 at 5:02 pm

Mike, any news on Romo?

• twinfan1 said, on June 2, 2012 at 5:13 pm

I have no idea. I think “Bummie” is jinxing them. Bochy doesn’t go to Romo, “Maddie” gives up a HR and before you know it, Sergio is hurting. Then Bochy *does* go to Casilla and “Cassie” gives up the HR, and he leaves limping. Maybe Bochy can go to Edlefsen next time… (Kidding, kidding). Love the Chuckie nicknames, Stevie..

• twinfan1 said, on June 2, 2012 at 5:26 pm

Actually, Romo is available.

43. blade3colorado said, on June 2, 2012 at 5:10 pm

Way to go Buster!

44. Flavor said, on June 2, 2012 at 5:29 pm

I’ve never figured Milken out. Scum bag or philanthropist? Both?

45. blade3colorado said, on June 2, 2012 at 6:06 pm

Last year, one of our “tanks” would have been thrown out easily at first . . . This year, with Pagan’s speed, no frickin’ way.

• twinfan1 said, on June 2, 2012 at 6:24 pm

Team speed isn’t just stolen bases. There’s more up and down the LU.

46. Flavor said, on June 2, 2012 at 6:10 pm

Huff can’t hit anything anymore but he gutted the fuck out of that at bat

• blade3colorado said, on June 2, 2012 at 6:18 pm

Flav, I broke one of my cardinal rules – never, ever pick up a Cincy pitcher off the waiver wire or acquire one via trade. I decided to pick up Mat Latos because he wasn’t pitching at Cincy and he was going against the Astros. I also listened to one of the so-called fantasy experts that said it was a “lock.” Ha.

Things are going swimmingly as he gets staked to an 8-2 lead after 2 innings . . . Fast forward to the 4th inning, the wheels come off and it’s now 9-8 Houston. Cocksucker. I should have known better :-(

• Alleykat said, on June 2, 2012 at 6:46 pm

Anybody that spells Matt…….Mat is automatically off my fantasy team Blade.

• blade3colorado said, on June 2, 2012 at 6:49 pm

Kat, where the fuck were you this morning when I made this imbecilic move?

• James said, on June 2, 2012 at 6:31 pm

Aubrey has mastered the superior good AB. It’s a good thing Belt is sitting on the bench watching and learning, although it could be just a little confusing for Brett.

47. twinfan1 said, on June 2, 2012 at 6:43 pm

Well, whatever Bochy decides on for the 9th better work because it’s automatically wrong if it doesn’t. Since it’s Cain, I let him take it all the way.

• Alleykat said, on June 2, 2012 at 6:56 pm

I Would have too Twin…But were both wrong now.

48. James said, on June 2, 2012 at 6:46 pm

How Marmol has any command over where the ball is going seems kinda miraculous to me.

• blade3colorado said, on June 2, 2012 at 6:52 pm

He prays a lot.

49. twinfan1 said, on June 2, 2012 at 6:55 pm

Well, I made my call, Bochy made his. Hope Bruce is right.

• Flavor said, on June 2, 2012 at 6:57 pm

This is the Cubs, any fresh arm should be able to close this out

50. blade3colorado said, on June 2, 2012 at 6:56 pm

Shhhh . . . No one say anything about the “closer thingie” or Dennis will bring out his “schtick.”

• twinfan1 said, on June 2, 2012 at 7:01 pm

But it was a save situation.

• blade3colorado said, on June 2, 2012 at 7:04 pm

I know exactly what it was . . . He interjects his BS regardless. Besides, he would say, “Where the fuck is Casilla?”

• twinfan1 said, on June 2, 2012 at 7:27 pm

He usually only does it when it’s Non-Save- and he often waits until results are in.

51. James said, on June 2, 2012 at 6:57 pm

Castro walks?!? That’s fucking ridiculous.

• blade3colorado said, on June 2, 2012 at 6:59 pm

Yeah James – He either hits or makes an out, usually no in between.

• twinfan1 said, on June 2, 2012 at 7:29 pm

Well, he had a good at bat. An accident, to be sure, aided by some questionable calls.. but a good AB.

52. Wilcojoe said, on June 2, 2012 at 6:57 pm

Do you go Lopez, Romo, Affeldt?

• WilcoJoe said, on June 2, 2012 at 7:06 pm

The “Dennis inside of me” was hoping Soriano would get on base so my prediction would come true. (grin)

• WilcoJoe said, on June 2, 2012 at 7:07 pm

Though I must give credit to Dave Fleming for bringing the L,R,L matchup up…I just happened to agree with it.

53. Alleykat said, on June 2, 2012 at 7:01 pm

Well Boch comes up with Aces again with that DP. Romo time for the Save and a 2-0 start in the series.

54. blade3colorado said, on June 2, 2012 at 7:02 pm

Well played game . . . Way to close it out Romo.

55. WilcoJoe said, on June 2, 2012 at 7:03 pm

I have never seen a manager handle a pen better than Bochy…Ballgame!

• blade3colorado said, on June 2, 2012 at 7:06 pm

Yep, 9.9999999 times out of 10, Botch makes the right call despite the blogosphere thinking they know better.

56. Alleykat said, on June 2, 2012 at 7:12 pm

I really don’t be care what Flappers think, but Sergio Romo is an All-star.Problem is Dickhead Tony LaRussa ,Yes he still is the All-Star Manager oh joy,will go with any Cardinal like a Reject Jason Motte over Sergio guaranteed.Plus its all about closers added which is a joke in an all-star game,when sometimes they only get 1 out as well.

• twinfan1 said, on June 2, 2012 at 7:18 pm

Who the fuck has argued that Romo doesn’t deserve to be an All- Star? He probably won’t be but that’s not on “Flappers”..

• twinfan1 said, on June 2, 2012 at 7:24 pm

I’d be interested in knowing why you have a problem with Casilla. Seriously. The guy has been “aces”, as you say, and you turned on him like he’d been Tire Fire.

• Flavor said, on June 2, 2012 at 7:37 pm

Am I just missing something? Where does he say he’s got a problem with Casilla?
        The last set up guy who made the all star game that I can remember off the top of my head was Clippard (last year). Venters probably made it the year before. Maybe a couple of others. But I don’t really think set up/hold guys should be all stars. I’m not saying that none are ever allowed to be but you would have to have sickening stats in order to get there, at least if you want my vote…..

• twinfan1 said, on June 2, 2012 at 8:16 pm

His comments last night are what you’re missing, and others. I’m not wrong. Bochy *should* go to Romo (Braun), but not Casilla (Soriano). It’s not “different” other than Bochy saving Bumgarner from himself last night.
        As far as set up guys making the ASG, Clippard and Venters both made it last year. It’s an idea whose time has come- the set up guy often gets the tougher situations than the closer. But whatever- Casilla has been great and Bochy was right to go to him.

57. Flavor said, on June 2, 2012 at 7:12 pm

Well, Kipnis got me to 19 easily, now I’m settling in for some Sat night baseball with Yu Darvish pitching and Beltre needing a hit to get me to 20. Sounds like a plan. I love watching Yu pitch, he’s got crazy pitches that he throws in any count…….

58. Flavor said, on June 2, 2012 at 7:39 pm

Could be trouble brewing in Flavor Nation. Beltre didn’t seem too interested in that at bat, taking 2 dead red fast balls for strikes after Wilson went 3-0 on him. Shit, he was into the late 20’s on his pitch count in the first inning, Beltre should have hammered those pitches. With 2 outs, what was he waiting for? Then he fouled off a few pitches before striking out. Beltre owns Wilson, that at bat did not look like ownage to me.

• blade3colorado said, on June 2, 2012 at 8:55 pm

Third AB certainly didn’t. Actually, Beltre seemed to get a break by the ump, where he called a strike a ball. Regardless, Wilson easily struck him out, with Beltre missing on the SO pitch.

59. Alleykat said, on June 2, 2012 at 8:03 pm

Thanks BF..
    In no way did I say I had a problem with Casilla Twin.
    My “Aces comment was directed at Boch coming up Aces bringing in Lopez and getting the DP.
    AS far as Romo …The Dude has been “Lights Out” all year and better then most closers IMO and deserves the Allstar team nod.
    But like I said earlier with “Dickhead LaRussa calling the shots,no chance.He could give a shit about adding Giants to his squad.

• twinfan1 said, on June 2, 2012 at 8:25 pm

You jumped on him immediately last night (Casilla). The “aces” comment tonight? That was fucking hilarious. I thought it had to be sarcastic ,from you. If there was a prize for second guessing, you win hands down, Kat.

• twinfan1 said, on June 2, 2012 at 8:45 pm

The Giants should be in line for 3 All-Stars, perhaps 4. I’ll wait before I trash LaRussa on this. He kinda hasn’t done anything yet.. Melky, Casilla OR Romo, one starting pitcher, and maybe Buster is my guess. He doesn’t make all the choices, either. He gets nine selections . 5 starting pitchers and 3 relievers are chosen by the players, plus eight reserves.. Fan voting chooses 8. The final player is the online vote from among 5 choices.

60. twinfan1 said, on June 2, 2012 at 8:30 pm

Speaking of dickheads, Ratto is on Pablo’s case big time. If you don’t think Ratto has an axe to grind, just do a search on Ratto and Sandoval. Until more is known, Ratto should really STFU.
    Goodnight.

61. Alleykat said, on June 2, 2012 at 9:07 pm

For now my All-Star picks are Melky,Cain,Posey,and Romo.

62. unca_chuck said, on June 2, 2012 at 10:46 pm

No Pagan?

63. Nipper said, on June 3, 2012 at 4:50 am

Good morning Flappers! Time for your Sunday workout. That’s it get out of bed first. Start with something easy first say moving your fingers. Get your thumbs out of your mouths! That’s it. No bitching and moaning. Keep that for the Giants lineup ideas.

• blade3colorado said, on June 3, 2012 at 6:44 am

Yaaaaaaawwwwwwwwnnnnnn!

64. paulinasia said, on June 3, 2012 at 7:25 am

You all early in the morning there should never post here at the end of the old string. No one will see it unless Craig sleeps in very late on Sunday morning….. :-) But just for kicks, good morrrrrrrrrrning, Flap nation. And just about time for good niiiiiiiight Vietnam…. (I’m typing this utter nonsense because I know that no one other than Steve and Nipper will read it….. )

65. dirtnrocksnomo said, on June 3, 2012 at 7:38 am

Good night Paul.

66. willieD said, on June 3, 2012 at 7:54 am

schulman commented in chron saturday morining soriano might be due for another brushback after his HR trot nonsense, but romo got best revenge.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on June 3, 2012 at 7:58 am

A 4 game sweep would be even better.

67. twinfan1 said, on June 3, 2012 at 8:29 am

Bochy has indicated that Theriot is both the second baseman and the two hitter going forward. He’s correct in the first decision. As I said yesterday, Theriot is the type of hitter than old thinking has always used in the 2.Unless one wants to argue that Theriot is one of the two or three best hitters on the team, he doesn’t belong there. I covered this more extensively before- but to provide the simple part- your 6th or 7th best hitter should not be getting the 2nd most plate appearances..I thought this might be how Bochy goes, but here he’s wrong. It should be Melky or Pagan…
    Also, today is Posey/Hector day. Which means it’s Zito day.

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 494 other followers