Report Card

Posted in Uncategorized by twinfan1 on July 2, 2012

As the team heads east for two series against contenders Washington and Pittsburgh- yeah, no misprint- I said “contenders”, I’m doing my midterm report card early. The scores are generally high, reflecting the team’s performance- but  I think they’re fair. What do you think?

Blanco- been up and down at the plate. I think he got a little Vungo-itis after popping some long ones. The Cain catch moves him up to a solid B, though.

Theriot- along with Belt and Crawford turned three very iffy spots into assets by the end of June. Another B.

Melky- what more need be said except A+ ?

Buster- I don’t think many expected he’d be this good this quickly- B+

Panda- tough to rate.He’s up, he’s down, he’s lunging, he’s.. an All-Star! C+

Pagan- still iffy in the field but much better. A rough June put him right about at his career numbers- which are pretty darn good. B

Belt-his big June solidied his job, then a mini-slump raised some more doubts. Looks like he’s baaaaaacccck and that would be huge for the second half C+

Crawford- has hit better as the season has progressed and has recovered from some real shaky defense early  C+

Hector- unpolished defensively, a real hacker- but who misses Whitey? C+

Burriss- gee, I hate to give him a grade. Can I just say he seems like a nice guy and he’s perservered and I hope he has a nice time being back home this week? Oh, alright-D-

Nate: well, he even lost his defensive relacement gig. About the only things keeping him here are probably the uncertainty about Pagan and Melky for next year and Kieschnick’s injury. C-

Arias- been a sold defender and respectable at the plate C

Huff- I want to say incomplete, and I’m very sympathetic to his illness.I’m also skeptical that a couple weeks on the DL cured it if it was serious enough to sideline him in the first place. D- because I honestly don’t remember any significant contribution.

MadBum-it’s strange to feel that a guy with his record has under achieved a bit. But he still has a tendency to get too much of the plate. 6 games with 4 or more runs allowed. In between he’s brilliant B+

Vogie- I think Nicole keeps him mean and fit, Seriously, I couldn’t figure the reason for his success last year but that’s it- he’s just a mean, focused  SOB- we’ve got our Jack Morris B+

Cain-the Horse. Perfecto. The former Dixie Headcase is now the rock and a team spokesman. A

Zito- I’m sorry, still waiting the other shoe to drop -but he’s even a little more than “serviceable”  B

Tim-simple. If he’s back, we’re laughing. If not-lotsa Lonely Teardrops D

Otero, Edlefsen- separated at birth. D-

Loux- had pitched well, then woke up and remembered he was in the bigs C-

Kontos-Been the best of the long guys. His was the trade we hadn’t a clue on. The Yankees evidently really wanted Stewart and we woudn’t give him to them unless we got Kontos C+

Hensley-pitched well at first, fallen lately.He’d been pretty much the 7th inning guy, no surprise if Penny grabbed that soon C

Affeldt- been solid, all around better than Lopez. B

Lopez- despite today, still gets LHers out. Rhers over .450 BAA. C+

Romo- as I noted yesterday responding to a great post by “I don’t know who it was”, Sergio is really a “roogie” more than a true set up man. But he’s the best roogie  A

Casilla- we’ve been waiting and now we got it- torture B+

Penny- incomplete

About these ads

1. blade3colorado said, on July 2, 2012 at 6:38 am

Weatherproof games: Yankees-Rays, Royals-Blue Jays, Marlins-Brewers, Padres-Diamondbacks and Orioles-Mariners

Angels-Indians have a pretty good chance of getting interrupted by a thunderstorm in the middle-to-late innings, but this storm doesn’t expect to linger for too long. Rain chances are even greater for Twins-Tigers and Astros-Pirates, which both might start late and then experience another storm in the closing innings. The other four roofless venues will see nothing but clear skies on Monday.

2. blade3colorado said, on July 2, 2012 at 6:41 am

Grades look about where I would have them. Good evaluation Mike.

3. Bozo said, on July 2, 2012 at 6:46 am

I think the grades are fair and the thread was a fun read as well. WTG twin.

4. blade3colorado said, on July 2, 2012 at 7:01 am

Check your Flap league in box John.

• Bozo said, on July 2, 2012 at 7:09 am

OK. But I imagine I’m going to see a King Felix for Marco Scutaro or something.

• blade3colorado said, on July 2, 2012 at 7:19 am

Sheesh. You’re mean. Besides, I don’t have Scutaro – I think the bloke across the pond does and he thinks the “Italian Midget” is king.

• Bozo said, on July 2, 2012 at 7:57 am

I sent a counter offer, although I’m not totally liking it either. But I would think about it.

5. pawliekokonuts said, on July 2, 2012 at 7:57 am

A thoroughly enjoyable analysis, Twin. The Vungo-itis comparison made me chuckle. (I had to wince when Vungo got picked off by Kershaw last night — but it was Kershaw. Still love the guy.) I pretty much concur with the grades. (Not sure I feel Pablo is an All-Star.) Maybe I’d go a bit higher on Sanchez and Lopez, and a + added to Romo. (Note: Attach no special significance that these are Latino names.)

6. Nipper said, on July 2, 2012 at 8:01 am

Twin’s grades are FAIR. My grade for Bochy and his staff A+

• tedspe said, on July 2, 2012 at 8:37 am

Just as is expected, nothing but doom and gloom from the Nip

7. tedspe said, on July 2, 2012 at 8:39 am

Good grading there, twin, although to paraphrase June Cleaver…I think you were a little hard on the Panda

8. Flavor said, on July 2, 2012 at 8:51 am

I agree with all these except I’d grade Panda in the B/B- range. He was at an A/A- before he got hurt. Had he not been injured a lot of that shit that happened during his DL time wouldn’t have happened. For the P’s I would just change Voggy to an A- (maybe even an A for his consistent stud starts and he seems to have “ghost whispered” Timmy’s season around

• chipower9 said, on July 2, 2012 at 9:00 am

Would agree with the bump to Vogey’s grade, too.

Craig – did you get the updated schedule and circulate it to the boys?

• Flavor said, on July 2, 2012 at 9:37 am

No where did you send it? I haven’t checked email since early this am. If it’s threre, I’ll snip it when I get hm tonight and post it then.

9. chipower9 said, on July 2, 2012 at 8:59 am

Fun read, Mike and overall very fair grades. Great job.

I could see going B- on Hector and Pablo…but WTF…that is really splitting hairs.

My daughter’s boyfriend suprised her with a great “date day” yesterday with tickets to the game. They sat behind homeplate close to the field. She posted a picture of her and Larry Baer and it appeared she had some type of 2002 reunion pennant, and it appeared to be littered with autographs. Her boyfriend coaches for Sac State, so maybe he got them the hook-up with some of the players before the game.

Nice to get the split with the Reds…could have been worse.

Timmy on the hill tomorrow. Forecast is calling for 96 with humidity around 50%. Will be interesting to see how he deals with the heat (historically, not great).

10. zumiee said, on July 2, 2012 at 9:01 am

I mostly agree with TF’s grades, and TF was generous to Huff, given Huff’s situation; but Huff is an F so far. And I’d move Buster up a tiny bit to A-, Panda to B-, and MadBum to A.

• zumiee said, on July 2, 2012 at 9:04 am

And Vogie up to A, IMO.

• twinfan1 said, on July 2, 2012 at 5:30 pm

D- is bad enough for me. Like B+ to A, I guess you’re going for the symbolism that an “F” represents. As mean as I’m sometimes said to be, I can’t give an “F” to a guy battling mental problems.

11. Irish Kevin said, on July 2, 2012 at 9:03 am

Great job Twin.

12. willieD said, on July 2, 2012 at 9:03 am

vogs is amazing, and I doubted he’d be anything like this, AS worthy again. If blanco and pagan can keep the OB up, they should be all good. If not….the D’s gonna have to be super, and they’d need an upsurge from lincecum to offset what more than likely happens with Z. Lopez/affeldt worry me way more than the RHPs.
    Hector can do some things but he really is a puro hacker at the plate. The idea that he has to C two of the starters in order for them to be effective I don’t buy. Posey can get by with one full day off (no 1b!), and having he and belt in the LU every day helps the offense and the defense.
    I just think the bench is very weak, and I’d like to have another bat, preferably RH, to be able to PH and back up belt at 1b/play LF, ala burrell as snarkk mentioned. The set LU bochy uses looks really good to me right now. Combine that with team speed, pitching and defense, and i’m looking to avenge ’62.

• zumiee said, on July 2, 2012 at 9:08 am

Yeah, what’s up with Hector getting two starts a week? I hope that doesn’t happen too much.

13. twinfan1 said, on July 2, 2012 at 9:09 am

What does stand out- our bench is awful. Just cpmpare the pinch gitting to 2010.
    2012 (at current pace) 166 AB 2 HR 14 RBI .157 BA .250 OBP .491 OPS
    2010 187 AB 6 HR 25 RBI .265 BA .343 OB .744 OBP

I thought a middile infielder might be the only target at the deadline, now I’d agree with others that sme RH pop should also be a consideration. I’ve looked at rentals only. I’ve already mentioned Kelly Johson and Polanco as possible infield targets. Not an exciting list of reserve type hitters with a little pop- Ty Wigginton would be better than anything we have in that department, and he would cost little.

14. unca_chuck said, on July 2, 2012 at 9:20 am

Yeah, Nate the Great WAS great for long stretches last year coming off the bench and in sport starting duty. This year he seems lost/disinterested. I don’t know. But he’s not nearly the guy he has been.

He wasn’t the only bench guy, but he seemed to set that pace for a productive bench last year.

Nice job, Mike. I’d bump Hector to a B just because he ISN’T Whitey or Stewie. He’s got to have more production in 1/2 this season then both of them combined last year for a full season.

• twinfan1 said, on July 2, 2012 at 9:38 am

I would have given Hector a B, but that OBP is just too awful to overlook. But it’s sure nice not to write in an Oh-fer when Buster doesn’t start. And the kid has moxie-Timmy must have shaken him off 50 times the first game they were together, K and K were brutal on him, but now he’s acting the captain when he’s out there. Well, shit, I guess he just got bumped to a B..

15. twinfan1 said, on July 2, 2012 at 9:29 am

I just won’t give anybody an “F” so consider a “D-” as my “F”. Looking at what’s been posted so far, I probably would bump Panda to a B-. And yes, an A for Vogie, I really have no idea why I didn’t give him one. Overall, we’re all in the same ballpark on just about everybody , though.
    Biggest disappointments- Mota’s bust, Timmy, Huff ( I mean I expected SOMETHING), Burriss, Pill’s failure, the kid relievers, Nate.

Surprises: Blanco, Zito, that Melky was *this* good, Arias for just making the team. I want to say Pagan, but I might be the only one who thinks his play is a surprise

16. unca_chuck said, on July 2, 2012 at 9:30 am

In fact they are pretty close number-wise.

For the year, Whitey/Stewie combined for 375 ABs 75 hits, 7 HRs and 27 ribbies (.200 BA)

Sanchez? 110 ABs, 29 hits, 2 HRs, and 21 ribbies (.264 BA)

17. DJLoo said, on July 2, 2012 at 9:39 am

Most of you probably don’t remember, but in the glory days of the Splash, Twin would actually do “mid-term blogger grades”. Wouldn’t be as much fun here – not enough animosity….

• TedSpe said, on July 2, 2012 at 10:19 am

hahaha. Yeah, I remember

• twinfan1 said, on July 2, 2012 at 11:21 am

I also had my “Oscar’s”. For the life of me I can’t remember what I called them. As to blogger grades here, I’d say that the idea is maybe the worst one since that Tuna Squeezer.. I’ve reduced the price to just 99 cents plus $39.95 shipping and handling, BTW..

18. twinfan1 said, on July 2, 2012 at 9:50 am

You can’t combine the two, Chuck.
    Vs. Whiteside, full season- Eli 213 AB 4 HR 17 RBI .197 BA .264 OBP .310 Slg .574 OPS
    Hector 220 AB 4 HR 42 RBI .264 BA .263 OBP .364 slg .627 OPS

19. unca_chuck said, on July 2, 2012 at 10:00 am

I know what my grade would be, DJ.

Mike, sure I can. All I’m saiyng is a year’s worth of Whitey/Stewie got us bupkis.

Sanchez is doing much more in the back up C role.

20. twinfan1 said, on July 2, 2012 at 10:16 am

this is not an argument that will last beyond this post, time to move on.

21. snarkk said, on July 2, 2012 at 10:21 am

I might bump Panda up a bit, but otherwise, the grading seems right in there. Better are the summary descriptions of the success/lack thereof/contributions so far. Very nicely done, and on point. Agree that if Penny can keep bringing it like his first outing, Hensley’s going to lose some of his Bochy Buddy lustre, and appearances…

22. DJLoo said, on July 2, 2012 at 10:34 am

Met fans are quite twisted over Wright losing out to Chubsy-ubsy…

• Flavor said, on July 2, 2012 at 10:41 am

then they should have fucking voted for their guy.

• twinfan1 said, on July 2, 2012 at 10:52 am

Panda didn’t even make the team as a reserve in 2009, despite having better numbers than Wright, who started, and Zimmerman, Wright and Zimmerman were close, and had good numbers- but Panda, without doubt- had the best numbers and deserved the starting spot.
      In other words, Met’s fans: tough shit.

Wright .324 5 HR 44 RBI .872 OPS
      Zimmerman .288 14 HR 52 RBI .827 OPS
      Panda .333 BA 15 HR 55 RBI .964 OPS

23. twinfan1 said, on July 2, 2012 at 10:35 am

Chuck, what I was saying with the last post is that there won’t be any lengthy arguments on my days. It doesn’t matter who thinks who was bad before, or who started it before- and any blame stuff about the previous blog will be deleted. If Craig thinks *I’m* out of line, he and I will hash that out privately. I just want to “keep the line moving” and not have two folks arguing drive the others out

24. unca_chuck said, on July 2, 2012 at 10:36 am

I had deleted this- I don’t remember the whole post but Chuck said it was over, as I asked-and then ordered me not to bring it up again.

• Nipper said, on July 2, 2012 at 11:45 am

Chuck and Twin agreeing on something? What’s in the air? Whose’s drinking kool-aid?

• twinfan1 said, on July 2, 2012 at 12:41 pm

Actually, it’s been decided that the topic is open again. This comment clearly infers that Hector’s numbers and those of Whitey/Stewart are close. If he meant differently, Chuck needs to be more clear.
        “In fact they are pretty close number-wise.
        Sanchez? 110 ABs, 29 hits, 2 HRs, and 21 ribbies (.264 BA)”

25. zumiee said, on July 2, 2012 at 10:52 am

I get a kick out of how “Giants Nation” got it done on the ASG ballot. And I chuckled at Krukow’s comment in the post-game wrap show. He said something like: “If other teams’ fans keep bellyaching about it, we’ll put Bip Roberts in as a write-in candidate next year.”

26. zumiee said, on July 2, 2012 at 11:22 am

I recently started reading Douglas Brinkley’s new biography of Walter Cronkite. One of the things Cronkite had to do early in his career was re-creation of football and baseball games. Get the ticker-tape of the basic info, and then make-up the story of what’s happening for his radio audience in simulated play-by-play. As goofy as it probably was, it was probably very good practice and training for a broadcaster in those days. I think Reagan did it early in his career also.

• snarkk said, on July 2, 2012 at 11:58 am

Reagan was good at making things up…

27. zumiee said, on July 2, 2012 at 11:26 am

From the library I checked out a biography of Clemente that I’m looking forward to reading. On my Kindle, I have a couple of novels that I’ve been reading on and off. “A Moment In The Sun,” by John Sayles, and “Radiant Days,” by Elizabeth Hand.

• pawliekokonuts said, on July 2, 2012 at 11:58 am

Zum, if it’s the David Maraniss bio, it’s terrific. As for Cronkite, I thought he — and the Kennedys — was a dick to oppose the Cape Wind project because it might mess up their yachting. Right. But, growing up, I watched Cronkite all the time. Once dreamed I saw him at St. Paul airport, told him I watch him every night. He said, i know.

• eddacker said, on July 2, 2012 at 12:06 pm

cheers, always looking for kindle titles. “Starry Night” was my most recent read on the Kindle.
      I’m a little late, but I’m reading the Agasi biography.

28. twinfan1 said, on July 2, 2012 at 12:01 pm

Don’t have the most comprehensive library here. “New in Fiction” leads off with “Doctor Dan the Bandage Man”….

29. DJLoo said, on July 2, 2012 at 12:13 pm

I’m presently reading “30 Days To a Firm Buttocks”

• chipower9 said, on July 2, 2012 at 12:31 pm

LOL

• TedSpe said, on July 2, 2012 at 12:57 pm

I just finished that, Loo. I’m now getting through “Everybody Poops”

• snarkk said, on July 2, 2012 at 1:30 pm

Don’t spoil the ending for me…

30. unca_chuck said, on July 2, 2012 at 12:38 pm

deleted by flavor.

31. eddacker said, on July 2, 2012 at 12:41 pm

I’ve been studying famous city landmarks; here is the Canada National Tower in Toronto:

• blade3colorado said, on July 2, 2012 at 12:44 pm

Naughty, naughty, naughty. Too much page 3 I see . . .

32. twinfan1 said, on July 2, 2012 at 12:55 pm

deleted by flavor…

33. twinfan1 said, on July 2, 2012 at 12:59 pm

There was a fine conversation going on, anyone have thoughts on the pitching evaluations beyond what’s already been stated?

34. DJLoo said, on July 2, 2012 at 1:00 pm

Twin: Your awards were called the “BOYKINS” which was some kind of acronym. I know the “BOY” stood for Blogger of the Year. There were numerous categories. I was a winner in the Best Blogger in a Supporting Role once and also received some clown type of award, but never copped the big one. I think Big Flavor won the BOYKIN once and also “Livefree” (in an absolute shocker) who might be Jon Dowd.
    BTW, do you ever hear from Ferrethead?

• blade3colorado said, on July 2, 2012 at 1:02 pm

You didn’t finish Loo . . . What the fuck does “KINS” stand for?

• Bozo said, on July 2, 2012 at 1:29 pm

“and also received some clown type of award,” And you’re saying you didn’t win the big one. It sounds to me like you won the Cody Ross Rodeo Clown Wannabe award Loo. In my neck of the woods that’s HUGE.

• twinfan1 said, on July 2, 2012 at 1:31 pm

First, Ferret: I’m not happy. Besides the PCs that bloggers won, I sent Ferret, Craig, and Chuck PCs ( built for them) just for being old timers on the blogs. She acknowledged receiving it but said she hadn’t set it up yet. Despite inquiries, she never responded on that again…
      Thanks for reminding me, it was the “Boykins” . The “kins” just sounds snappier than the “BOYS”. LiveFree never won anything- actually, I think Zumie might have won BOY once. Craig did win also….and there were always several lesser awards. I’m sure Chuck got something, Loo, Babbler..it was fun. The Splash WAS fun- strangely, it was when they instituted rules that should have kept Trolls and Disgustos out, that those folks flooded the blog. Look now, it’s probably 75% troll. I’m posting there again, hadn’t posted much at all for quite sometime. I’d guess I’ll be posting even more soon. JackCrabby is my screen name. VK had banned me twice for what was considered inappropriate replys to Hawk and another poster who wished me long, slow, painful death.. and in the other case, made remarks about my daughter.I was reinstated and the perps banned when the nature of their remarks was reviewed by VK.

35. eddacker said, on July 2, 2012 at 1:08 pm

No Giants game tonight, but I read they headed back east early to acclimate. I think it is a well deserved rest. they get one day a week off this month. Including the AS break a total of 7 days. I hope it makes them all ready for August and taking a fair lead into September.

• twinfan1 said, on July 2, 2012 at 1:33 pm

Tonight I’m going to watch yesterday’s, one of the more exciting of the year..

36. blade3colorado said, on July 2, 2012 at 1:21 pm

Carlos Lee is a complete looney tune . . . The Dodgers have officially withdrawn from the trade that would have sent Lee to Los Angeles, ESPN’s Buster Olney reported on Sunday night’s Dodgers broadcast . . . However, this came essentially at the same time that Lee said that he wasn’t inclined to approve the trade. So, who declined first?

I’m betting that Lee did and he pissed the Dodgers off, thus them saying that the trade was off. Whatever. He’s done this crap before to other teams (including our Giants). He still can get dealt to 15 teams on his approved list, so chances are still probable that he’ll get dealt by July 31st. However, I have a feeling that he could give a rat’s ass about competition, playoff races, etc. In short, this is a cat that does not like change.

37. Alleykat said, on July 2, 2012 at 1:27 pm

Great work Mike!!!
    Vogy is.getting an A by me.Love his “Red Eyes Vampire Stare” and his bring it on attitude during his bunt brushback BS from the pitcher.Guys a Gamer.

• twinfan1 said, on July 2, 2012 at 1:37 pm

I did up him to an “A” and gave him one of my highest compliments- being our Jack Morris. If he had been pitching Game 6 in 2002, we win in 6. No way he gratefully leaves the game, he tells Dusty to “get fuck off my mound”..

38. chipower9 said, on July 2, 2012 at 1:27 pm

Well, we all know that the pitching is one of the big reasons the team is in first place. In the NL they rank 3rd in ERA, T-2nd in WHIP, 1st in shutouts (10), and 3rd for complete games (4). I think the big question in everyone’s mind is A) can Zito continue to produce (or does he eventually slide into oblivion), and B) will Timmy make it back where he consistently brings the chance for a win (maybe he already is…most of his starts he had only one blow-up/bad inning)?

I wonder more about the offense. While the team is 5th in BA, they are 14th w/RISP. RISP/2 out they are 15th. And you have to hope their recent improvements in fielding continue. They are tied for last in FP, and have the second most errors. Again…this has improved of late, let’s hope it continues.

But, regardless of all the numbers and stats, I really like the chemistry of the team and where they are at right now. Agree with Ed…good to get into D.C. early and try to acclimate/rest.

• blade3colorado said, on July 2, 2012 at 1:33 pm

In my opinion, Lincecum’s wildness makes his upcoming game with Washington worrisome, but his ability to get punch outs in combination with his upcoming start against the whiff-happy Pirates has some promise after this series (with the Nats).

• chipower9 said, on July 2, 2012 at 1:49 pm

Well, his wildness aside (has he trashed any condos of late), the heat and humidity could be troublesome, too. Forecast for Pittsburgh on Monday (when Timmy pitches there is 88 degrees with 57% chance of humidity, and 20% chance for showers).

Would be so nice to see him with back-to-back wins. If he can get back to form and win consistently, and Cain, MadBum, and Vogey continue as they are, it’ll be very good for the Giants chances.

39. pawliekokonuts said, on July 2, 2012 at 1:36 pm

Hey, what grade does Fruckie get, an incomplete incomplete redux?

Edddddacker, thanks for buying BASEBALL’S STARRY NIGHT. Hope you enjoyed it.

NOTE: I humbly ask Eddddd, Blade, Magnus, and any other BASEBALL’S STARRY NIGHTers to give me a very brief review (favorable, I hope) on Amazon or Good Reads. It helps sales. Danke, in any language.

• chipower9 said, on July 2, 2012 at 1:42 pm

Ah…will do, Pawlie. Bought/read the book about 3-4 months ago, but not sure I reviewed on Amazon…if not will do…anything to help a fellow Flapper!

• pawliekokonuts said, on July 2, 2012 at 1:49 pm

thanks! honestly
        Incidentally, just received word that I’ll be getting my first royalty check in the mail. Or so I’m told. Gonna buy one of the Cayman Islands after cashing it.

• chipower9 said, on July 2, 2012 at 1:50 pm

Cool! Maybe we can have a Flapper party there. Of course with all that cheddar, you could fly everyone there, too! ;-)

• Flavor said, on July 2, 2012 at 1:53 pm

absolutely, I will do so in the next day or so.

• pawliekokonuts said, on July 2, 2012 at 1:55 pm

Picture it now on Cayman Brac, where I have friends: some island girls (Trinis preferred for me), panama hats, Giants game streaming or replay of WS, some more island girls, some reggae, some iced tea for me and Blade, some rum for the rest of you, some jerk chicken, some island girls….

• blade3colorado said, on July 2, 2012 at 2:05 pm

Save “some island girls” for me too.

• snarkk said, on July 2, 2012 at 2:22 pm

“Trinis”? I’m guessing short for Trinidadians, or something else?…

• pawliekokonuts said, on July 2, 2012 at 7:29 pm

yes, Trinidadians

40. demp28 said, on July 2, 2012 at 2:00 pm

Great piece twinfan. I would give everyone an “A” at this point no matter how good ( Cain ) or bad (Burriss) they are. The Giants are in first place because of a TEAM effort
    Also, the Giants IMHO hit their mark at nearly the halfway point of the season with 45 wins. 15 per month over six months gives you 90 at the end of the season.

• chipower9 said, on July 2, 2012 at 2:12 pm

Yes, it is a team effort, but some contribute to the overall success (or failure) more than others. IMNSHO, there is no way you can give everyone an A. I think Twin’s grades were pretty much right on (with a few tweaks I and others mentioned earlier). Seriously, no way Burriss (regardless of how much of a nice guy he is) gets an A, or Huff, or Nate, etc.

Glad they are in first, but some certainly played into that more than others.

• eddacker said, on July 2, 2012 at 2:21 pm

I’m in agreement about the team getting an A and a J for jelling. Twin’s ‘report cards’ are always a treasure to read for me. In addition to the grade should we have some individual marks like “the plays well with others” or “kept his head when down”
      And a re-watch of yesterday is in order for me,too, as it was late and I fell asleep on the couch around the 5th and miss the good parts.
      I will review the book for team K, can I mention the cover art? I loved it.

• pawliekokonuts said, on July 2, 2012 at 7:37 pm

Zumie and Chi, tnx for the reviews; will check ‘em out. Eddd, by all means mention the cover art done by my son. Thanks.

41. twinfan1 said, on July 2, 2012 at 2:13 pm

Thanks, Demp. All the “boys” are great but we always have real nice discussions on my days. I want to promote conversation, not controversy, most of the “boys” have been the same way.

• Flavor said, on July 2, 2012 at 2:43 pm

they’ve all been great and your days have been no better or worse than anyone else’s in terms of “real nice discussions”

• twinfan1 said, on July 2, 2012 at 3:33 pm

Well, it would be nice to be able to keep it way.

42. demp28 said, on July 2, 2012 at 2:16 pm

pawliekokonuts, Cayman Islands sound nice, but I also think having a clambake with some “Gamer Babes” from seriously, Half Moon Bay at Sam’s Chowder House watching the Giants on a huge flat screen as the sun is setting would be just awesomelicious!

43. demp28 said, on July 2, 2012 at 2:22 pm

It’s all good twinfan. No controversy here. Chipower set me straight. He likes to one up me now and then. Love you like a brother chi. :-)

• chipower9 said, on July 2, 2012 at 2:42 pm

Wasn’t trying to “set you straight” just offering my opinion. As Ed mentioned, I have no problem giving the collective team an A, but interpreted your post as an A for all the players…I just cannot go there. It is all good.

I do like the idea of a clamback with the GB’s at Half Moon Bay.

44. eddacker said, on July 2, 2012 at 2:31 pm

forget gamer babes, I wanna party with some front office babes. Now that would be a girlfriend with benefits.
    :D

• DJLoo said, on July 2, 2012 at 2:34 pm

I’ll settle for Nicole.
      I’ll settle for a picture of Nicole…

45. DJLoo said, on July 2, 2012 at 2:32 pm

Nice opportunity for the east coast contingent to get a little rest. Only one 10:15 PM start from 6/29 to 7/23.
    I’ve overslept more than ever this season following late night games. The unemployment office doesn’t seem to notice…

46. chipower9 said, on July 2, 2012 at 2:39 pm

If I had yesterday’s game recorded…I would watch it again. As was…I was in Dixon competing with the dogs and was following on my phone (MLB.com). Picked-up the game on the radio in the 5th, and drove into the garage with bases juiced and score at 3-3. RAN in and turned on the tube, and paused the game while we unloaded the dogs/car.

Gail and I then got a cold one and sat back and watched the finish. It was a great game…would love to see it again.

• eddacker said, on July 2, 2012 at 2:47 pm

My sister’s family lives in Dixon; one of my nieces is graduating DHS.

• chipower9 said, on July 2, 2012 at 2:51 pm

Ah, cool. Corn fields for as far as the eye can see!

• DJLoo said, on July 2, 2012 at 3:25 pm

What kind of car do your dogs have?

47. twinfan1 said, on July 2, 2012 at 3:02 pm

Demp, I’m not saying that controversies should never arise, I’m not looking for vanilla discussion- I just don’t set it up so controversy is the whole be all and end all.
    A note on the posts that BF deleted- when they’re deleted without explanation, the obvious thought that people will have is that the posts contained a personal attack, name calking, abusive language, etc. None of that was the case, as should have been made clear.

48. Flavor said, on July 2, 2012 at 3:15 pm

Guys— I have written and posted a “Flapper Code of Conduct” and posted it to the right with the other pages. It’s nothing new, it’s how I always moderate the blog I just thought I’d put it up there for everyone to read so there aren’t any questions about how and when I decide to zap a post…….

• twinfan1 said, on July 2, 2012 at 3:39 pm

I don’t care if I moderate my posts or Flavor does- as long as what I have reasonably requested as to conduct is honored.

• Nipper said, on July 2, 2012 at 7:10 pm

You guys are more interesting when you’re pissed.

49. zumiee said, on July 2, 2012 at 3:22 pm

Pawlie, I just posted a review of your book at Amazon. But I couldn’t figure out how to put my name or user-name with it. A few years ago, I posted a review of a book as the generic name “a reader,” and that’s the name they gave me as the reviewer today, and I couldn’t figure out how to change it. So, my review is from….”a reader.” (grin)
    Yeah, the Clemente bio is the one by Maraniss. That was a coincidence because I had just read a review of his latest book, a new bio of Obama.

• blade3colorado said, on July 2, 2012 at 3:31 pm

“The Reader” is better than “The Hitcher.” Rutger Hauer gave me the creeps in that movie. No, he wasn’t doing book reviews . . . :-)

• chipower9 said, on July 2, 2012 at 3:41 pm

I just posted a review, too. Maybe you have to be logged into your Amazon account to post with your name (mine came up as ChiPower)….

50. Alleykat said, on July 2, 2012 at 6:08 pm

Twin, Do you know anything about this diaper baby kid the Giants just signed 16 yr old Nanathel Javier 3B 6’3 200 lbs and still growing? Signed him for 475K.and was the MVP of some Domincan prospect league.

• twinfan1 said, on July 2, 2012 at 6:46 pm

I only peeked at the blurb, looks like Snarkk might have your answer.

• Nipper said, on July 2, 2012 at 7:07 pm

He can change his own diapers.

51. demp28 said, on July 2, 2012 at 6:26 pm

If anyone here on this blog thinks I was “out of line” with my posts, I apologize; especially to twinfan. It was not my intention to stir up controversy or mudslinging, or anything of that nature.
    I am new to this posting thing so bear with me, as well as earning the respect of all of you on here. I will try not to have vanilla statements. I did read the Code of Conduct on here and will have respect to the blogger and other posters, to bear truth and allegiance to the same, etc.
    If everyone is okay with that, then so am I. If not, I will remove my name from this site.

• Flavor said, on July 2, 2012 at 6:29 pm

I can’t even find a post of yours that even remotely appears to be *out of line* Demp. Maybe I missed one, I just quickly scanned it. You have been a 100% all good since you got here, you are now hereby declared to be a *Flap Regular* and you will be treated with great respect and honor. Tell your boss about that and I bet you get a big promotion. :)

• demp28 said, on July 2, 2012 at 7:01 pm

I thank you both Flavor and twinfan.

• twinfan1 said, on July 2, 2012 at 6:45 pm

And I certainly didn’t think you were out of line, Demp. I really enjoy your posts. Re-reading some of what I posted, I can see why you might think there were references to comments of yours. There was some problem regarding something else..you are all good, Sir.

• Nipper said, on July 2, 2012 at 7:05 pm

How about apple pie, motherhood and the Flag?

52. snarkk said, on July 2, 2012 at 6:45 pm

Kat, the Giants signed another Cabrera — an OFer supposedly the top dog in the international free for all…

• snarkk said, on July 2, 2012 at 7:05 pm

Click on the 20 Prospects link at the top of the article and you can find blurbs about the two Giants picks that are considered #1 and #11. Sheez, these kids are just 16. I hope the Giants keep them out of the local bars in future now that they have a lotta cash…

• Alleykat said, on July 2, 2012 at 7:58 pm

Thanks Snarkk,Yeah I hope neither one of these kids have a connection with Angel Villanola(sp?) or even Panda for that matter.
        Hate to drop a couple mil their way at there ages,but if we don’t,the Yanks,Redsoxs’, are heaven forbid the freakin Dodgers would.

• snarkk said, on July 2, 2012 at 8:02 pm

Panda’s from Venezuela, doubt there is any connection there. In the DR, it’s small enough to where everybody knows that these kids just cashed in, so the organizations need to protect them as best they can…

53. zumiee said, on July 2, 2012 at 7:08 pm

Attendance figures in the boxscores….I can understand Baltimore at 15,000. The fans there are used to getting squashed in that division, and so they’re not jumping on the bandwagon. But Atlanta at 16,000…..against a division rival, who has some interesting players, the Nationals…..and the Rays at 21,000 against a marquee Detroit team. Pretty sad.

• Nipper said, on July 2, 2012 at 7:26 pm

Probably hot and humid. There’s a hellacious heat wave back there.

• Nipper said, on July 2, 2012 at 7:27 pm

Rays have always had problems attracting anyone.

• pawliekokonuts said, on July 2, 2012 at 7:40 pm

I believe the heat really is a factor. In Atlanta last week, we were specifically told to get seats out of the sun — even in the sun at 8 p.m. And the Trop, I guess, is hard to get to and not in a great spot. But I will say the fans who DO go to the Rays games — and I’ve now met a few as a result of my book — are great fans.

• blade3colorado said, on July 2, 2012 at 7:50 pm

Yeah, Candlestick Park wasn’t exactly in the “banana belt” and I can recall on more than one occasion that less than a thousand people showed up to watch our Giants. Doesn’t necessarily mean that they didn’t have fans . . . It does mean – as Dirty Harry famously said – a man has to know his limitations. Extreme cold was definitely one of my limitations. :-)

• Alleykat said, on July 2, 2012 at 8:05 pm

Didnt Strasburg nly last 3 innings the other day in Atlanta? Due to the blistering heat,and was dehyrated and was even given intrevenous fluids.Heard he went back to the team hotel,cranked the AC and passed out on the bed.

54. pawliekokonuts said, on July 2, 2012 at 7:50 pm

Just checked out the Amazon reviews. Appreciate ‘em. And, Chi, I really am thinking my next book will be exactly that: my journey as a Giants fan: 1955 until now.

55. zumiee said, on July 2, 2012 at 7:54 pm

Tempest in a teapot, the Dusty Baker/LaRussa/All-Star thing. It seems obvious that LaRussa was trying to stick it to the Phillips and Cueto. That was one of the bigger brawls ever a few years ago. It all started when Phillips called LaRussa a “whiny b#tch” in the newspapers. Then when Phillips tried to say hello to Yadier Molina in the batter’s box, Molina was having none of it, and it was on….

• snarkk said, on July 2, 2012 at 8:03 pm

LaRussa has the memory of an elephant, and he’s a SOB in my opinion.
      I don’t doubt for a second that this incident had something to do with his selections…

• Nipper said, on July 2, 2012 at 10:10 pm

Sounds like your type of guy, Snarkk…….just kidding…

56. zumiee said, on July 2, 2012 at 7:58 pm

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. Mattingly has a really long neck.

• Alleykat said, on July 2, 2012 at 8:10 pm

But he will “Never” have a bigger head then are beloved Bruce Bochy.

57. zumiee said, on July 2, 2012 at 8:03 pm

Regarding the recruiting and signing of Latin American players….the new documentary coming out, “Ballplayer/Pelotero,” looks to be a good one. I think it’s going to play in theaters before going to DVD.

58. twinfan1 said, on July 2, 2012 at 8:12 pm

I have no way to speak to LaRussa’s motive, I thought Cueto deserved the selection, though.. many other deserving pitchers were also left out- there were at least 20 that merited selection.

59. zumiee said, on July 2, 2012 at 10:13 pm

Pretty cool Dodgers/Reds game tonight. And Bruce even made a great catch. (grin)

60. tedspe said, on July 2, 2012 at 10:51 pm

I just read Flav’s “Code of Conduct” over on the side.
    Naturally, being the asshole that I am–my 1st instinct is to say–FUCK YOU!!!!
    And then I re-read it and my 2nd instinct is to say–Bravo
    Big Flavor has set some rules. And ya’ll say/ask “Rules?? On the Flap??”
    And, see, that’s the beauty of the thing.
    See, I just wrote–let’s see–I wrote ” asshole, fuck you”…hell, I can can write bitch, cunt, whore, cocksucker, mother fuckhead, dreamwad, poo-poo undies.
    It’s all good.
    But the way I read it, if we gentlemen (?) use language that begins to infer unwarranted anomosity to a regular or simply (as I am often) misinformed miscreant…well–thou shalt be dealt with!!
    So, Flav’s not saying “Don’t be raunchy”, Flav’s not saying “Don’t be men”. What he’s saying is if any of us all get chickenshit stupid and start acting all cyberian faggedity macho nasty with the distance of the internet herself to protect us from any repercussions like major league pussies—well–just before Flav cuts you off–ya’ll will hear…

The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother’s keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy My brothers. And you will know My name is the Lord when I lay My vengeance upon thee!!!!!!

And then–bottom line?
    Ya’ll canst post heres no more

• tedspe said, on July 2, 2012 at 11:10 pm

pffft

• twinfan1 said, on July 3, 2012 at 12:33 am

There haven’t been any instances of the issues addressed by the Rules since the new blog was instituted. That includes the comments that were deleted today…
      BTW, I’m moving today’s thread “Report Card” to Page B. The support for the grades was nearly universal and differences were of no consequence ( B- instead of C+) . This can be used as reference, to comment further, whatever you like.

• Flavor said, on July 3, 2012 at 6:35 am

exactly. And a Pulp Fiction reference wins POTD every time.

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 495 other followers