What Exactly Did We Watch Last Night?

Posted in Uncategorized by Del Mar Dennis on July 11, 2012

Was it merely an exhibition of baseball’s best players from respective leagues? Or, as Selig and Co. have engrained into our heads since that 2002 fiasco of a tie, a game that really meant something with home field advantage for the World Series on the line?  First off, with each team having to be represented by at least one player, is each squad fielding its very best roster? I don’t think so. Was Huston Street or Bryan LaHair two of the best NL players this first half? Probably not, but the Padres and Cubs needed to be represented. So they were. Those are the rules.  And playing for home field advantage? There are players on each squad every year from teams that don’t have a realistic chance of getting to the playoffs, never mind the World Series. Why should they give a rat’s ass about home field advantage?

But none of those questions seemed to matter once the All-Star Game started. I was just watching another ballgame. It was still the same 90’ between the bases. It was still the same 60’ 6’’ from the mound to home plate. And I found myself blogging away with you guys here on the Flap and checking out Twitter like I would during the Giants and Padres on a Tuesday night in May.  Hell.  I was even checking on my MLB.com All*Star*Bingo Game to see if I’ve won a freebie.

Bottom line: it was just more baseball. And we all know that baseball is meant to be fun. And once the game started that’s all I tried to do.  I had fun watching the game last night. And as our hometown heroes did us proud, I’m sure you had fun too.

Btw, if you guys are wondering why I haven’t brought up the great performances by every one of our Giants All-Stars last night, well, I’ll leave that for you. I wouldn’t want it to be on me to jinx Melky, Pablo, Buster and The Horse to start off the second-half…

About these ads

1. demp28 said, on July 11, 2012 at 6:39 am

Fair enough Dennis. The Giants did great last night I don’t want to jinx them either. Just enjoy it. Nuff said.

2. blade3colorado said, on July 11, 2012 at 6:53 am

This may be nothing, but I am concerned about Ted’s message late last night (see below). I am not certain he was trying to be funny or what. I wrote a message to him this morning after seeing it, but I have no way to get ahold of him. Consequently, if any of you have Ted’s phone number, you should give him a call.

tedspe said, on July 10, 2012 at 11:10 pm
    Still staring at that revolver. Still staring. But…
    Goodnight, gentlemen (?)

blade3colorado said, on July 11, 2012 at 6:19 am
    Ted, it is morning here and I just saw this . . . What the fuck? I hope you weren’t serious about that message because it wasn’t funny. Give me a call any time you need to talk (303-697-2247) or email, blade3colorado@yahoo.com

• ewisco said, on July 11, 2012 at 7:25 am

i saw that this morning and sent a note.

3. Macdog said, on July 11, 2012 at 7:21 am

Very well said, Dennis. I’m as jaded as it gets as far as the ASG is concerned, but last night was friggin’ sweet.

4. demp28 said, on July 11, 2012 at 7:34 am

Oh yeah, one more thing, and good morning blade. How many of you got sick and tired of R.A. Dickey’s face plastered on commercials and Fox cameras on him in the dugout? And after Pablo’s triple in the first,Fox showed a pic of Wright in the dugout that was priceless.
    So to Fox, and ESPN and Mets GM Sandy Alderson…..Suck It! This was NoCal’s time to shine.

5. Alleykat said, on July 11, 2012 at 7:37 am

Wow that post by Ted is a red flag.I’m with Blade about Ted’s well being.Ted no matter what issues you are dealing with(GF,$,Job,all 3?) life is to precious to ignore and you will get through it with time and support.You will ALWAYS have Family here at the Flap Ted.

6. willedav said, on July 11, 2012 at 7:40 am

I caught the last few minutes on knbr/espn radio before the game, and I think it was Chris Singleton who had the most to say about NL pitching, esp, the pen, being much better. His prediction was he liked the NL better if the game turned out close and low scoring. Which it didn’t except for one side.
    AL LU was supposed to be monstrous–jeter cano hamilton prince bautista beltre, papi batting way down, granderson hitting 9th….didn’t matter. Cain shut them down for 2, and melk ended what drama there might have been. This has to be a reminder to all the AL DH-laden powerhouse hitting stats teams—-pitching wins, and good pitching, yada yada. Where have we seen this before? Yanks fans, c u in october.

7. Flavor said, on July 11, 2012 at 7:49 am

Here’s a question: If the Dodgers decide to cut ties with Juan Uribe and designate him when Ethier comes off the DL, do we take a shot at picking him up? I know he’s fat and hurt all the time but ATT could perk him right up. I seem to remember we burned a bridge with him over something after he left–I can’t remember what it was though….

8. willedav said, on July 11, 2012 at 7:55 am

Ted, I hope you were talking about early Beatles LP “Revolver”, one of their better ones. I still listen to that stuff, music I enjoyed from many years ago, if I don’t have anything better to do. As I posted yesterday, I really did find Junior Walker on youtube, “Home Cookin” and “I’m a Roadrunner.”
    I find a lot of music from 50’s-60s, whether it’s jazz blues rock soul country really makes me feel good and takes my mind off things I allow myself to let bother me and cloud my mind with useless doubts….esp things beyond my control. Youtube has it all, from merle haggard to muddy waters.
    but i’d recommend picking a different album to stare at…maybe the stones “out of our heads”. Great version of Sam cooke’s “let the good times roll.” Let us know you stopped doing that, OK?

• Irish Kevin said, on July 11, 2012 at 10:23 am

Hey Willie, I don’t know if you have an Iphone or Ipad, but there is an App called Wolfgang’s Vault. it is live concerts of the 50’s – 80’s. I think it is free or $0.99. check it out.

9. Nipper said, on July 11, 2012 at 8:05 am

I still don’t like All Star Games. Friday the real thing starts. Go Giants!

10. chipower9 said, on July 11, 2012 at 8:20 am

A couple of things. First, I was not on last night (couple of commitments with the lady and my daughter), but did go back and read last nights posts. I too am alarmed by Ted’s post at the end of the night. I echo Kat’s comments, Ted – there is nothing that should make one feel that life is not worth it. If the message was genuine, you will get through this, and you have many many friends here who have your back. I truly hope that was a bad joke and want to hear from you ASAP.

11. chipower9 said, on July 11, 2012 at 8:27 am

As mentioned, I was not on last night, but did catch most of the game, and did go back and read comments from last night.

Flav – thank you for your post at 6:43 last night. I appreciate it. And maybe being a “stable boy” (or a member of the Dirty Dozen) was not what others wanted, but I volunteered because I wanted to. This site is special, and the many friends I have met are equally special (even though I have not met many of you in person). I would be crushed if this place went away. Great post, Craig. Let the Flap Flag Fly!

12. chipower9 said, on July 11, 2012 at 8:31 am

Great game last night…The Giants and the NL opened up an INDUSTRIAL-SIZED can of WHOOP ASS last night. Sweet!

Good stuff from Schulman on The Splash about what the Giants may or may not do in regards to making the team stronger (sure most of you saw it), and I am not surprised by it. To get a major upgrade would mean giving up prospects. Don’t want that to happen. So, as we have discussed, it will probably be strengthing the bench (RH bat with pop, if possible), and the bullpen. Regardless, will be interesting to see how it all shakes out.

And I really dug Steve’s (blade’s) prediction. To that I say Fuck Yeah!

13. willedav said, on July 11, 2012 at 8:39 am

Flav I think Melk brings the Uribe swagger and intensity from 2010. Plus he’s in shape, playing super D and scorching baseballs from both sides of the plate. Adding the mvp to his great start to this season, for a team in contention as opposed to the Royals, and in a park that is supposedly not a good place for hitter stats, is gonna put him in the spotlight. And as I said last night, continue to drive the price of his next contract up. Gotta love him extending a hand to Cano as he’s passing 2b, which Cano of course ignored. Hope he gets a chance to re-do that move in the Series.
    I’d rather have Polanco, who I think is one those guys that is a smart vet that will do the little things to help the team. He can still field and be a capable back up at 2b or 3b, hit behind a runner and be a tough out.. Uribe’s done, unfortunately—and probably not motivated to have only a fringe type role like he would here.

14. twinfan1 said, on July 11, 2012 at 8:45 am

I’ve E-mailed Ted, as well. Yeah, that’s definitely worrisome. I used to have his address but I don’t retain them when they were provided for shipping a prize. I don’t have a phone number. I’ll just keep trying via E-Mail.

15. eddacker said, on July 11, 2012 at 8:52 am

Come on TedSpc let us know you are all right. We know you care and you know we do, too.
    eddacker@eddacker.net

16. tedspe said, on July 11, 2012 at 8:54 am

Gentlemen,
    Sorry about that last post last night. It *was* meant as a joke but re-reading it I can see it was out of line and I apologize. As a matter of explanation, last night was the first rehearsal for a new play I’m in and my character addresses a number of inanimate objects, a whisky bottle, a pencil and yes a gun. I guess the dark humor of the play sort of seeped out. I knew it was in poor taste but until I re-read it this morning I didn’t realize how odious it was.
    Again, my deepest apologies if I alarmed anyone. I’ll try to be a little more careful in the future

• eddacker said, on July 11, 2012 at 8:58 am

YES! I will still get to marvel at your humour and on target comments.

BTW, it is all about me.
      :D

• ewisco said, on July 11, 2012 at 9:10 am

yyyeeeeaaaahhhh!!!!

• twinfan1 said, on July 11, 2012 at 9:13 am

Geez, Ted.

• chipower9 said, on July 11, 2012 at 9:15 am

You never cease to amaze (and that is meant in a good way!). This is awesome news!

17. eddacker said, on July 11, 2012 at 8:56 am

I have only watched the first two innings of the ASG, so I stopped reading last nights posts. No news about baseball gets to me here unless I go looking for it, but I did manage to find this. My team, YAHOO!

Many blasted the Giants getting so many selections in this year’s All-Star Game. Scott Miller says San Francisco gets the last laugh after its players come out and singlehandedly lead the NL to victory.

18. twinfan1 said, on July 11, 2012 at 8:58 am

I’ve mentioned the possibility of Uribe before but the Bums would have to pick up at least half of his remaining contact. Don’t see it happening. I also like Polanco.

19. tedspe said, on July 11, 2012 at 8:59 am

And to be clear, I’m not using the play as an excuse. I just wanted to make sure you are all clear that there was a stupid sub-text to the stupid post. It still doesn’t excuse me for alarming anyone and again, sorry

• twinfan1 said, on July 11, 2012 at 9:15 am

I’ve told the paramedics you might be troulblesome. A straitjacket can actually be rather comfy if you don’t fight iOnce you get to the hospital, I’m sure you can get it all srtaightened out. Hint: don’t deny your’re crazy, that only makes it worse ( I picked that up from a Rockford Files episode ). You can have them call me, I’ll attest to your occasional periods of lucidity.
      Your pal, Mike

• tedspe said, on July 11, 2012 at 10:20 pm

It’s late and I wasn’t bullshitting about being busy so I’m just going through the Flap today and twin?–hahaha funny my man

20. eddacker said, on July 11, 2012 at 9:14 am

maybe we should trade our all-stars while their value is high.

• chipower9 said, on July 11, 2012 at 9:17 am

That joke is damned near as bad at Ted’s! ;-)

21. chipower9 said, on July 11, 2012 at 9:21 am

There is not a better place, or a better bunch of Giants fans with which to share our passion…SF Giant baseball. I love the diverse personalities and the level of knowledge.

We have our spats, differences of opinions, etc., but I cannot begin to tell you how special this place is. Thanks again Flavor for creating this spot for us.

And to echo Twin’s comment (from last night, I believe…), I too hope 78 decides to come back and post on occasion (I was rudely harsh with my comments yesterday…way over the line).

I still hope we can pull off a “Flap Get Together” at a Giant game in the future. That would be kick ass!

22. Salty said, on July 11, 2012 at 9:22 am

We’ll probably see a Barnes for Garko sort of deal, hopefully with better results.

23. eddacker said, on July 11, 2012 at 9:24 am

When I think management didn’t even try on Beltran. We could have had him in right and @ third when Pablo was injured. Well, it is all about the money and trading our players while their value is high would make lots of money for management.
    disappointed, sarcastic and j/k

wow, just saw melks HR

24. Salty said, on July 11, 2012 at 9:29 am

What happened to Garko anyway? Out of ML’s at 29. Weird how quickly it can go. In 2006, Baseball America ranked him as the fifth best prospect in the Indians organization, including being the best at hitting for average.

I was thinking with a Stanford degree, he would be on to something else in his life and not be content to ride buses, but I looked it up, and he’s now playing for the Montgomery Bisquits in AA ball. Interesting.

• blade3colorado said, on July 11, 2012 at 10:22 am

Thanks for sharing Salty. I wasn’t aware that he had a Stanford degree, nor that he was still “chasing the dream” in AA ball.

By the by, great team name, Montgomery Bisquits.

25. DJLoo said, on July 11, 2012 at 9:29 am

No offense to “78” but I’d like to see a brilliant poster like Stixwiz return and of course Xoot. They were big contributors here….

• twinfan1 said, on July 11, 2012 at 9:47 am

I have occasional contact with Stix, I just sent him an E-Mail. Don’t see why 78 would take offense that there were others missed, as well.

• chipower9 said, on July 11, 2012 at 12:17 pm

And whereinthehell has PaulinAsia been? He really had some good posts, too.

26. eddacker said, on July 11, 2012 at 10:07 am

watching the super slomo of RA knuckle is cool
    78mph and that thing is barely spinning

27. blade3colorado said, on July 11, 2012 at 10:12 am

Just got back from the gym and the first thing I did was check the blog. Glad to see that Ted was “joking” and all is well. No more said from me on this Ted, except, I suggest you try out for a slapstick comedy versus a drama. :-)

• DJLoo said, on July 11, 2012 at 11:25 am

Nice to know that your buddy’s possible murder rampage or suicide didn’t interfere with your workout…

• zumie said, on July 11, 2012 at 11:36 am

Blade gave a very heart-felt message, and posted his phone number and email address here. He did a lot, more than the rest of us, and doesn’t deserve a snarky joke. That wasn’t your best moment, Loo.

• DJLoo said, on July 11, 2012 at 11:38 am

Thanks for the etiquette lesson…

• zumiee said, on July 11, 2012 at 11:46 am

It is my gift.

• chipower9 said, on July 11, 2012 at 12:16 pm

Feelin’ the Love!

• blade3colorado said, on July 11, 2012 at 12:58 pm

:-)

28. eddacker said, on July 11, 2012 at 10:56 am

Well, that is the game. MVP and a Giants show. Nice to see that many top closers throwing in the same game.
    Odd the KC fans booing Cano.
    Over all, a decent ASG

29. snarkk said, on July 11, 2012 at 11:07 am

I have no problems with fans anywhere booing Yankees. That’s an age old sport, made better (worse?) by the continuous 24/7 forcing of Yankees down the rest of the country’s throat by ESPN tv and radio. So, booing Cano for leaving the KC guy Butler off the HR derby list is no biggie. But, when fans start harassing Cano’s mother, which is apparently what KC fans did, that’s a different thing altogether and is bush league, at best…

30. eddacker said, on July 11, 2012 at 11:23 am

I did not know that happened. I could see the fans boooing during the HR Derby, but during the game was a bit much.

31. Bozo said, on July 11, 2012 at 11:47 am

Still staring at that cold blunt object. Still staring. But…hey, I better get an opener before this bad boy gets warm.
    “What Exactly Did We Watch Last Night?”. America’s got Talent. Howard Stern earned points in my book for going off on Howie Mandel. Why, did I miss something?

Congrats Melky and the rest of the Giants.

32. zumiee said, on July 11, 2012 at 11:51 am

That was easily the most I’ve ever enjoyed an All-Star game. Matt Kemp said it well last night in the dugout: “It’s the San Francisco Giant show.”

• Alleykat said, on July 11, 2012 at 1:50 pm

Also heard Kemp sayin to Melky in the dugout after his HR,:”Man you are a great hitter.”
      Speaking of that,With a MVP A/S award Sabes knows the Scratch just elevated more to resign him.Need to get him signed,dude can crawl out of a sick bed and still rake a couple hits!!

33. zumiee said, on July 11, 2012 at 11:55 am

Does the Giants organization have anyone in the AAA All-Star game later today? And how hurtin’ would I be for some baseball today if I’m watching the AAA All-Star game?

• blade3colorado said, on July 11, 2012 at 8:04 pm

Zum, almost forgot to acknowledge the kind words earlier today . . . Thank you.

34. dirtnrocksnomo said, on July 11, 2012 at 12:20 pm

Great showing by the Giants players last night. I don’t know about you guys but I was digging the orange cleats. They are especially stylish during triples, home run trots and while picking up All Star MVP awards.

ewisco, thank for picking the post up for me last week. I appreciate it.

• eddacker said, on July 11, 2012 at 1:29 pm

Didn’t Wilson get told he could not wear orange shoes?

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on July 11, 2012 at 1:37 pm

If I remember right he broke them out at the Alls-Star gaem last year and then had to tone them down a bit for regular season play. I thinks it’s cool for an exhibition like the AS game and wouldn’t care if they wore them during the regular season but I don’t see that happening.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on July 11, 2012 at 1:38 pm

If not last year then the year before for Wilson

• ewisco said, on July 11, 2012 at 2:56 pm

Actually i spaced. wrote it. went to bed thinking i’d post it when i got up to feed the dogs at 5:30. but it was my day off so i fed the dogs and went back to sleep without a thought. woke up at 9 and went “shit”. BF had already covered it and the discussion was going so i left it alone. next time if i have a day off, i’ll leave myself a note.

35. demp28 said, on July 11, 2012 at 12:56 pm

zumiee, Hembree and Hacker are on the PCL All Star team.

36. Irish Kevin said, on July 11, 2012 at 12:57 pm

So my question is being the AS MVP, does that raise Melky’s stock at the end of the season?

37. dirtnrocksnomo said, on July 11, 2012 at 1:10 pm

Kevin, The stats from the game don’t count so I don’t see why it would. All Star appearances and other awards (Gold Glove, Silver Slugger etc) are typically incentive clauses so maybe it raises the overall potential value of his contract but there would be no affect on the annual salary.

Is there a cash reward from the league for the AS MVP or just the car?

• Irish Kevin said, on July 11, 2012 at 1:19 pm

Well, if Melky doesn’t need the car….

• chipower9 said, on July 11, 2012 at 1:25 pm

He can give that mother to me! I’ve been wanting one of those new Z28s…WTF Melk…hook a brother up!

38. chipower9 said, on July 11, 2012 at 1:24 pm

I agree with Zumie…most enjoyable all star game in a loooong time, and first time I have watched most of the game in years.

The orange cleats were pretty wild. They were okay for a game like this…not sure I want to see them day-in and day-out. Noticed Buster did not rock the orange cleats (he did get a couple of pair), but said it isn’t his style…I like it.

I do not think Melky winning the MVP will have an impact on his offers this year. If he continues to hit like he has in the first half, his value will be up.

Sounds like there is definitely interest on his behalf to make something happen with the Giants. There is a fairly good number of OF free agents next year, and I think that benefits the Giants when it comes time to deal with Melky (and possibly Pagan).

Here is a link listing the FAs for 2013:

• snarkk said, on July 11, 2012 at 1:54 pm

I would be surprised if the Giants extend Melky mid-stream this season, regardless that he said the other day that he told his agent to talk to the front office. Why would he not want to put himself in the FA market to drive up his price, if he assumes he’s going to hit pretty well the rest of the year? And, the Giants may want to see if he can keep up the hitting for a full season and into a pressure packed stretch drive. So, I see incentive on both parties to wait until the offseason that outweighs the disincentives to sign now (Melky might want to hedge against getting hurt, Giants may have to pony up a higher price to keep him if his stats continue at a high level the second half)…

• snarkk said, on July 11, 2012 at 2:11 pm

Michael Bourn, a FA next year, is having a helluva year for the Braves, and was a replacement All Star last night. As I said last year, I’m still thinking he’d be perfect for the CF spot at ATT, is easily a better fielder than Pagan, and he’d run his ass off spraying xtra base hits out there in the ATT outfield’s wide open spaces. Here are Bourn’s (age 29) and (Pagan’s – age 31) stats this year, Pagan’s stats in ( ):

BA .311 (.284) OBP .366 (.330) Slg .451 (.407) OPS .817 (.737) HR 7 (5) BB 33 (23) SB 25 (15) Errors 2 (5)

You can pencil in Gary Brown in CF for next season, but that’s in pencil. No guarantee at all he can perform at the MLB level. Bourn obviously can, and I think would be at least a defensive upgrade for Pagan, younger, and at least as good, if not better, offensively…

• snarkk said, on July 11, 2012 at 2:34 pm

Bourn (LF), Brown (CF), Melky (RF), Panda, Buster, Belt, (new 2Bman), Crawfish. Maybe switch the order of Bourn and Brown, whatever. That wouldn’t be a bad 8. Blanco maybe as the 4th Ofer. If Belt could hit 15-18 HRs, that 4,5,6 would be just fine with all the rabbits already on base. The OF defense and speed would be friggin’ top notch…

• chipower9 said, on July 11, 2012 at 2:46 pm

I like it snarkk. And with Rowand, Sanchez, and Huff coming off the books (about 30 mil collectively) next year, and Zito the year after (7 mil buyout for 2014), they’ll have some cash available. Vogelsong will be a FA after 2013, and Posey will be AE, so there will be some other considerations to be made. Bottom line, the Giants will have the wherewithal to sign some guys.

39. Del Mar Dennis said, on July 11, 2012 at 2:08 pm

Ted made me and the entire Flap think he was staring at a revolver once. Once.
    Relax. Since I sent ya that ashtray and you took up smoking you’ll be going soon enough. :D

• Bozo said, on July 11, 2012 at 2:26 pm

It was just a bad night for Ted to give up sniffing glue. I know, wrong movie.

40. snarkk said, on July 11, 2012 at 2:48 pm

ChiP’s 2013 FA list is underwhelming as far as 2bmen go, other than Kinsler, who’s not going anywhere. Very underwhelming, at a position where the Giants need improvement. If he continues at current course and speed, I wouldn’t doubt if Theriot is back. His price will be right, anyway. If you are a young player with a bit of, but not a lot of, pop — and are quick, I’d learn to play 2b, you would be in big demand…

41. chipower9 said, on July 11, 2012 at 3:02 pm

Yeah, I think the focus will be on Melky in the off-season, and possibly Pagan (I like your thoughts on Bourn, too). And depending on how things shake out with Timmmy, hell, they may look for a starter. I think 2nd base next year will probably be filled-out again with a journeyman (and yep…could be Theriot).

• snarkk said, on July 11, 2012 at 3:14 pm

I know some guys here have dissed Bourn as only having proved his mettle recently, but if you go with that argument, so has Melky. I just think Bourn is now going on two straight seasons of doing really well, and at 29, he’s at the top of his game for the next 3-4 years. No big injury history that I know. Plus, he might want to stay in the NL where small ball is more valued. ATT is a huge yard where his speed on offense and defense would be a great fit. He’s got a bit of pop, and clearly would greatly reduce the defensive drama that Pagan brings out there in the OF. The only issue is he’s a LH hitter, in case SF thinks they have too many already. Uh, wait, the other issue is Borasssss is his agent…

• Macdog said, on July 11, 2012 at 4:40 pm

You may be onto something. FWIW, Heyman tweeted the other day that the Giants were “seen as big threat to play in Bourn market this winter.”

42. twinfan1 said, on July 11, 2012 at 3:26 pm

If it was Brown and Melky, I think they’d look for a power hitter for the other spot.

43. DJLoo said, on July 11, 2012 at 3:43 pm

It’ll be good to have home field for our WS revenge against the Yanks or Angels…

44. blade3colorado said, on July 11, 2012 at 3:50 pm

Twin, I sent you an email with regard to the fan and thermal paste . . . It arrived and I just finished up applying the paste and locating the fan, etc. Thankyou :-)

45. ewisco said, on July 11, 2012 at 4:10 pm

While it sort of sucks that there’s no baseball (and no, any other game doesn’t count!) until friday i think it’s good that our AS’s get two days off to R&R. I’m sure that’s a lot of excitement which can have a surprisingly draining effect. Sleep in, a leisurely flight, dinner with the family, a day to sleep in again and get a couple of things done can really recharge the ol’ spirit.

46. snarkk said, on July 11, 2012 at 4:39 pm

BTW, nice job today DMD on the thread.
    I’ll say right here that all the Stable dudes putting up threads have my thanks, regardless of topic. That’s a given. So, in the past or in future, if I didn’t / don’t specifically congratulate the daily thread-maker on his toil, it doesn’t mean there’s a lack of gratitude on my part.
    That said, alright, now you fuckers get back to work on those threads… ;)

• twinfan1 said, on July 11, 2012 at 5:48 pm

Aren’t you doing it anymore?

47. DJLoo said, on July 11, 2012 at 4:43 pm

Since we basically have nothing to trade, I have abandoned the Corey Hart idea and have now set my sights on obscure Mariner reserve OF Casper Wells to come to SF and light it up Cody-style. The friendly ghost caught my eye earlier this year homering off Pettitte & Lincecum and drilling a hard line single off Bumgarner.
    As always you read it here first…

• blade3colorado said, on July 11, 2012 at 4:54 pm

Who?

• snarkk said, on July 11, 2012 at 4:57 pm

Sheez, Loo. Obscure?
      I searched MLB.com for the stats on this guy. It timed out…

• DJLoo said, on July 11, 2012 at 5:06 pm

He may be obscure, but trust me on this Snarkk:

He always says hello, and he’s really glad to meetcha.
        Wherever he may go, he’s kind to every living creature.

48. unca_chuck said, on July 11, 2012 at 6:34 pm

I’ve heard of the ghost to the post, but not that guy . . .

49. PawlieKokonuts said, on July 11, 2012 at 7:53 pm

About Last Night. OWNAGE.

50. willedav said, on July 11, 2012 at 7:54 pm

Wells burned the A’s last week with an HR at the Mausoleum. He came from tigers, I think.
    Blade, for some reason mlb.com is like the slowest cite to load player stats I’ve ever seen. Been like this all seaon on my pc.
    Doubt the mariners would have much use for Nate with Ichiro out there but he can’t last forever.

• blade3colorado said, on July 11, 2012 at 8:00 pm

Yeah, age has been catching up with Ichiro the last two years. Nevertheless, he is one of my favorite players (I even tried to get him from Dirt in the Flap league earlier this season).

51. blade3colorado said, on July 11, 2012 at 7:57 pm

I saw this in the SF Gate and I agree 100% with what Trout said . . .

“Two outfielders from the Scottsdale Scorpions of the Arizona Fall League are All-Stars (Mike Trout and Bryce Harper), and the third outfielder on that team was Giants prospect Gary Brown. “He’ll be here” eventually, Trout said. “Don’t worry.””

52. blade3colorado said, on July 11, 2012 at 8:11 pm

East Coast bias should now be called “idiocy.”

“Well, it’s official. We’re all idiots. All of us.

OK, maybe not all of us on the entire planet. But all of us media geniuses who spent the past week and a half weighing in on this All-Star Game. We’re clearly idiots.”

Jayson Stark’s lead from his column today . . . http://espn.go.com/mlb/allstar12/story/_/id/8155797/mlb-all-star-giants-prove-everyone-wrong

• PawlieKokonuts said, on July 11, 2012 at 8:53 pm

Were any horsehide pundits that contrite on the morning of Nov. 2, 2010? I don’t recall. I was too busy BASKING!

• ewisco said, on July 11, 2012 at 9:57 pm

je bask, tu bask, il bask, vous baskez, nous baskons, ils bask

53. tedspe said, on July 11, 2012 at 10:45 pm

Again, sorry for alarming you guys. Flavor kinda told me privately, paraphrasing, “If that’s a joke–don’t do that shit again! Okay?”
    See, dennis always made jokes about that shit but we all knew it was just a joke but considering my previous post with all the *TRUE* bullshit in my life right now (and I kept some of the shit out) I can see how it was–alarming.
    But you know what..good came from this. And you know what is was? (If I was Andy Griffith I’d say “What it was was football”) but, no you know what is was?–
    There was genuine care and concern. You know as much as we all talk shit to each other–there *is* a community and a love. Connected at first by a love of the San Francisco Giants but solidified by a–I don’t know how to spell this word so I’ll wing it–KOM-A-ROD-A-REE amongst this mangly gang of idiots.
    Flappers are a unique bunch. POTD a couple days ago was from a guy with well thought out reasons for no longer being here but–ME?
    I’ll never leave. As long as there’s a Flap, there’s a TedSpe.
    I mentioned my bad joke was probably conceived by a play I was in? I’ve been acting in plays and independent films for a while now. I was in BLEACHER BUMS back in 1982. There were only 2 of us in the cast that knew baseball. The play takes place between a game with the Cubs and the Cards in the ’70’s. It took the other guy and me probably a fucking week to convince people Rick Reuschel was pronounced Rush-L–not Rew-Shell.
    Good times—
    Good night, Gentlemen (?)
    And Good night Flappers (No ?)

54. tedspe said, on July 11, 2012 at 10:51 pm

Oh-and dennis? Nice thread today
    U D MAN

55. Sportdude said, on July 11, 2012 at 11:37 pm

Thanks for keeping things going Craig!
    Not to be melodramatic, but the audible sigh I just did when i saw a post from someone I don’t know (Ted) shows how much we love this place!

56. Ileen said, on August 16, 2012 at 3:55 pm

Find more there:…

[…]The whole glance of your web site is fantastic, let well as the content![…]…

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 499 other followers