Rivalries

Posted in Uncategorized by willedav on July 12, 2012

Two teams that just don’t like each other.  Ever since high school, there has always  been one team you really wanted to beat more than anyone else, one game that gets circled on the schedule.  The Giants and Dodgers have been that way for 100 years, hated cross town rivals that bring something special to every match up.

I watched my first World Series in 1959, the Dodgers beating the White Sox.  The 60s brought SF to the mountain top in ’62, but little Bobby Richardson came up big enough to derail that one.  In the ensuing years since both teams came to California there have been countless heroes and villains on both sides.  Feel free to call up some of your favorites, or those you most loved to hate.

2012 is shaping up to be a another classic.  The Giants inflicted an epic beatdown of historic proportion in the Shutout Series when LA made it’s first trip into ATT.  You know they are primed for a payback.  Here’s Matt Kemp: “I feel like we’re a better team.”  And, from Buster Posey: “We definitely have the ballclub that can win.”

Ned Colletti—is he still paying Jason Schmidt, or Manny, Juan Pierre or Andruw Jones?–is sure to be a player in the FA market, for bigger fish than such as Placido Polanco or Ty Wigginton as we have discussed here. Dodgers name comes up continually on MLBTR site.  As is I’m positive Giants are the better team, so LA has to do something to back up Magic’s bluster. Unfortunately, missing out on Carlos Lee might have been good for them.

I will say this about Juan Uribe,  While that uni looks horrible on him and he appears near done, I’d rather have a guy with his flair for the dramatic on my side.  Especially at the end of a season, when unlikely heroes tend to emerge and come up big.  Giants/Dodgers…just doesn’t get any better than this, and knocking them out the box would sure be sweet. And then maybe another crack at those Yankees…..

About these ads

Great thread.

2. DJLoo said, on July 12, 2012 at 6:39 am

Affirmed/Alydar

• Flavor said, on July 12, 2012 at 6:48 am

Sunday Silence/Easy Goer

• Macdog said, on July 12, 2012 at 7:51 am

Alysheba/Bet Twice was another good one.

3. blade3colorado said, on July 12, 2012 at 6:43 am

Tomato/tomatoe

• chipower9 said, on July 12, 2012 at 7:45 am

LMAO – Always a smart-ass in the crowd!

4. chipower9 said, on July 12, 2012 at 7:48 am

One of my favorite memories (from just about every time the Giants played the Bums at the Stick), was when the Dodgers came up from the club house (there was no tunnel directly from the visitor’s club house to the dugout – so the team would have to make the walk on the field to the dugout), and Tommy Lasorda would wave and blow kisses to the crowd as they heckled him with boos, etc. That was classic stuff! Loved it!

5. unca_chuck said, on July 12, 2012 at 7:50 am

Giants/Dodgers
    Niners/Cowboys
    Borg/McEnroe

As far as Dodgers go, the Penguin, Who’s your Padre? Orel Sax, Tommy Lasagna . . . all those teams from the 70s-early 80s that used to kill the Giants.

6. DJLoo said, on July 12, 2012 at 8:07 am

Believe It (In Reality – Breakfast Bell by Buckpasser) or not, I would consider reacquiring Dirrrrrrty from KC as and see if he can miraculously regain his ability.

7. Bozo said, on July 12, 2012 at 8:07 am

I knew the Giants/Dodgers rivalry went back a long way, but I didn’t know this until I looked it up on Wikipedia.

“The 1889 World Series was an end-of-the-year baseball playoff series between the National League champion New York Giants and the American Association champion Brooklyn Bridegrooms (later known as the Dodgers).”

Not to mention – “The New York Giants defeated the Brooklyn Bridegrooms in the 1889 World Series, 6 games to 3.” Beat Brooklyn, Beat Brooklyn, fuck yeah.

In 1890 the Dodgers moved to the NL and a rivalry was born (Good thing the Giants didn’t move to Minnesota, or the whole thing might of petered out).

8. chipower9 said, on July 12, 2012 at 8:08 am

Giants/Dodgers
    Niners/Cowboys
    Niners/Lambs (before they moved to St. Louis)

My all-time favorite memory related to the Giants/Dodgers was in 1997 when Brian Johnson hit his walk-off in the 12th. I believe Beck pitched 3 shutout innings and even got out of a bases-juiced/no out situation.

My friend Mike (Demp28) and I were sitting like section 39 or 41 I think (upper box down the 1st base line). It was like the Giants had won the World Series…people did not want to leave the yard.

9. willedav said, on July 12, 2012 at 8:37 am

Bozo, thx for the history note. Giants had always in the NY days been more successful with more big name HOF types. Hubbell has the amazing AS performance, guys like Bill Terry Mel Ott and Mathewson John McGraw. Hodges call of bobby thompson HR one of most famous radio calls of all time. Surprised there hasn’t been a book defining the old time rivalry from NYC involving these two. Yanks are another story, tho I’d be curious to know breakdown of how loyalties came about–by borough or hood, ethnicity, etc.
    By the 60s the battle had transferred out here, koufax and drysdale vs. mays and mac. Giants watering down the basepaths to nullify wills, beanball wars that culminated in unfortunate marichal/roseboro incident…precipitated by roseboro, angry that koufax (unlike his cohorts among dodger SPs) wouldn’t come inside when Juan was up to bat like he thought marichal had been doing to LA hitters.
    I was at a game at the Stick -72 when reliever Jerry Johnson buzzed bill buckner a couple times and he headed toward the mound and the benches emptied—I thought 40 thousand fans were going after him. I envy the guys who were here recently when SF fired round one salvos and shut there ass out —nothing like hearing as chi mentioned an entire stadium booing and shouting insults at lasorda or chanting Beat LA.

• Bozo said, on July 12, 2012 at 9:00 am

The crazy thing to me willie is how the Dodgers wanted to keep the rivalry going more than Giants ownership. Enough that Walter O’Malley talked Stoneham to move the Giants to Sf and that his son Peter got enough Owners together to block the Giants move to Tampa.
      So from me, a tip of the cap to the O’Malley’s and a Beat LA to the Dodgers.

I know I’m not the only one here but for years I’ve said my favorite team is the Giants. My second favorite team? Whoever is playing the Dodgers.

10. dirtnrocksnomo said, on July 12, 2012 at 8:42 am

Tastes Great/Less Filling

11. Alleykat said, on July 12, 2012 at 8:54 am

Shoot I hate the Dodgers since I was born.My parents taught me right.Never forget when Don Drysdale drilled Dick Dietz with the baseloaded in LA in the 9th which would of broken up his scoreless inning streak and the fucking ump would not allow him 1st base sayin he leaned it to the pitch, yeah right,who ever is not hit these days and not get rewarded 1st base?
    And of course the Giants didnt score and Drydale ended up with his shut out inning streak intacted,later broken by another Dodger asshole Orel Hershier.Fuck the Dodgers forever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. Irish Kevin said, on July 12, 2012 at 8:56 am

Giants/Dodgers
    Ali/Frasier, (I don’t have a love/hate for either of these guys, they just had the best fights ever!!)
    Niners/Cowboys

13. Irish Kevin said, on July 12, 2012 at 8:58 am

Oh and Chi, yesterdays thread, you commented Melky could give “you” the car!! Sorry dude, you are too old, I have met you I know. and besides I would look better in it than you!! Ha ha ;0)

• chipower9 said, on July 12, 2012 at 9:02 am

Nice try, Kev, but YOU my friend are severly disillusioned…

I will NEVER be too old for the right car or motorcycle…I Can’t Drive 55, or Get On Your Bad Motor Scooter and Ride…

14. chipower9 said, on July 12, 2012 at 8:59 am

Not sure how I forgot these two (too many brain cells back???).

College football -
    Oklahoma/Nebraska (when I was a kid this was THE showdown of the year)…with one of these two teams regularly battling for the National title.

Oklahoma/Texas – grew after Nebraska faded. Red River Shootout at the Cotton Bowl during the Texas State Fair. From the 50 yard line each way you either see the Sooner Crimson or hated Longhorn Burnt Orange. BOOMER SOONER!

15. demp28 said, on July 12, 2012 at 9:00 am

Thanks for bringing up the Brian Johnson game ChiP. Yeah, it was electrifying!
    Another Giant/Bum game which was great was back in 2000. It was right around 4th of July and one of the “fightin’ hydrants”, Marvin Benard hit a walk off HR against Mike Fetters. The ball hit the green overhang in RF. That win pushed the Giants towards the NL West title. I think the Giants were like a game over .500 at the time.

16. demp28 said, on July 12, 2012 at 9:04 am

Other rivalries: Chargers/Rayduhs
    And yes, ChiP, Texas/OU
    HOOK ‘EM HORNS!!!!!!!!

17. twinfan1 said, on July 12, 2012 at 9:10 am

It will be good to see Kemp and Ethier back- so we can go about getting this back to a real rivalry once again. As maddening as it might to Giants’ fans, it’s true that for years there was no rivalry- Our cry might have been “Beat LA”, their’s was “ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ”. Our World Series win woke ‘em up a little- now this year we finally have what baseball needs- what should be a revival of some good ole animosity between two contenders- not a pathetic wish that an also ran can ruin the party for a contender. We’re going to need some cooperation from Timmy and continued “serviceable” work from Zito to make September what it ougtta be- SF and LA fighting it out for the West.

18. chipower9 said, on July 12, 2012 at 9:11 am

Well, looks like Bochy was a man of his words, and has juggled the top of the rotation. Out of the gate beginning Friday it will be Bumgarner, Lincecum and Cain.

• demp28 said, on July 12, 2012 at 9:18 am

The fourth and fifth spots (Zito/Vogey) might be flipped flopped as well. Won’t know until after Sunday’s game.

19. blade3colorado said, on July 12, 2012 at 9:14 am

Flav and Twin . . . JUST KIDDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    :-)

• chipower9 said, on July 12, 2012 at 9:47 am

Good one, Steve!

• blade3colorado said, on July 12, 2012 at 9:54 am

Well, I added a gay ass smiley face to ensure everyone knew I was joking . . . Except of course, Twin has a better fastball and Flav has more control.

20. eddacker said, on July 12, 2012 at 9:47 am

Just watched the midseason web gems show on ESPN
    Ishikawa, Sanchez and Blanco all had a top 5 gems at their positions.

• blade3colorado said, on July 12, 2012 at 9:55 am

Dollars to donuts that Blanco’s fielding gem was the one that saved Cain’s perfect game.

21. eddacker said, on July 12, 2012 at 10:01 am

rivalries – great topic.
    Flav/Blade in last year FL
    giants/dogers
    fischer/spassky
    stones/beatles

• blade3colorado said, on July 12, 2012 at 10:05 am

Amigo, this year – it’s you and me . . . OK, OK, OK, Dennis too. Grrrrrrrrrr . . .

22. unca_chuck said, on July 12, 2012 at 10:01 am

Glad I timed my vacation around the all star break. Got home yesterday and it’s 106º. Fuck that. Funny thing was, my son was yeling from the deck that the ASG started at 4:30. I said we have 45 minutes of pregame bullshit before they start playing, so I stayed on the beach. . . Saw the first 2 innings of Matty and the Giants wrecking crew, then went back to the beach. Cool moment in the 2nd when Matty, pitching to Buster, got a fly ball out on a ball hit to Melky. Symmetry.

I had heard that they were going to wait to pitch Timmy at home from the break (meaning he’d be 4th . . .) but I guess not.

• blade3colorado said, on July 12, 2012 at 10:07 am

Where are you at Chuck that it is 106 degrees and by the by, how are you able to do the “degree symbol?”

23. unca_chuck said, on July 12, 2012 at 10:04 am

Yarborough/Waltrip
    Evert/Navratilova
    Stenmark/Mahre bros.
    Coke/Pepsi

24. eddacker said, on July 12, 2012 at 10:07 am

OH, I cannot forget McEnroe/Connors over 15 years

• chipower9 said, on July 12, 2012 at 10:28 am

Good one…

25. eddacker said, on July 12, 2012 at 10:11 am

degree sign = alt + 0176 on the number pad
    same way you yanks get the £ sign

• blade3colorado said, on July 12, 2012 at 10:20 am

106°

• blade3colorado said, on July 12, 2012 at 10:20 am

Too much to remember, but thanks!

• eddacker said, on July 12, 2012 at 10:53 am

that is 42C in real money,

26. Del Mar Dennis said, on July 12, 2012 at 10:11 am

Gallorette/Stymie
    Blind Luck/ Havre de Grace
    Henry Gondorff/Doyle Lonnegan
    Ray Milland/Alcohol

27. snarkk said, on July 12, 2012 at 10:13 am

The Giants/Dodgers thang should be on in full force in the second half. That’s good…

28. Macdog said, on July 12, 2012 at 10:14 am

Jack/Arnie, then . . .
    Jack/Watson
    Celtics/Lakers in the 80s, as good as it gets.

29. Nipper said, on July 12, 2012 at 10:18 am

Yeah I hope the Dodgers and Giants make it a real strong race in the WEST. A true rival is worth its weight in gold. Look at the A’s, no rival and few fans and a tarped facility.

30. zumie said, on July 12, 2012 at 10:18 am

Lakers/Celtics in the 1980s. And, of course, the Magic/Bird thing went back to Michigan St. vs. Indiana St. for the college championship.
    Chamberlain vs. Russell was before my time, but sounds like it was pretty intense.

• zumiee said, on July 12, 2012 at 10:21 am

Ah, Mac scooped me on Celtics/Lakers…..

31. snarkk said, on July 12, 2012 at 10:25 am

The Freeh report on the PSU/Sandusky scandal came out today. Everything suspected is essentially confirmed, and more. Paterno knew he had a pedophile on his staff in 1998. Then, he and the top PSU officials knowingly protected a pedophile for well over a decade. They had to know he could be out molesting more kids during that time. It was beyond outrageous behavior, a failure of a moral compass; it was criminal. Paterno’s legacy is destroyed. The PSU football program should be shut down…

32. twinfan1 said, on July 12, 2012 at 10:26 am

Godzilla vs. Megalon
    Abbott/Costello vs Frankenstein

• eddacker said, on July 12, 2012 at 10:55 am

A/C v Frankenstein was a real nail biter and a favorite of eddacker

33. chipower9 said, on July 12, 2012 at 10:38 am

WillieDav – great thread.

I think for most the Giants/Dodgers is THE rivalry.

Not that it matters (bullshit)…I’m just saying: Lifetime – Giants 10522 wins (first in NL and MLB), Bums 10217.

Here is a great site I came across with all kinds of good stuff Giant/Dodger related:

• blade3colorado said, on July 12, 2012 at 10:51 am

This is a FANTASTIC page! Thanks Chi! Glad to know we are tied with them insofar as WS and are ahead of them in games won overall. Good stuff here.

• eddacker said, on July 12, 2012 at 11:03 am

If I remember correctly, if you add the playoff/ws GAMES the Gmen rule, not sure about just playoff/ws wins.

34. snarkk said, on July 12, 2012 at 11:04 am

As for Uribe, if the Dodger’s DFA’d him, I would give him a call to ask how he’s doing. Then, I would say good luck and hang up. I wouldn’t waste a roster spot even for pro-rata minimum. Looks to me he’s done or near done. We’ve got that in Huff already…

• chipower9 said, on July 12, 2012 at 11:26 am

There is toast. And then there is burnt toast. I think Uribe is more burnt toast.

His line for 2011 and this year:

2011 – .204, .264, .293, .557, 4 HRs and 28 RBIs.
      2012 – .194, .250, .271, .521, 1 HR and 13 RBIs.

Our 2010 WORLD FUCKING SERIES RUN: .248, .310, .440, .749, 24 HRs and 84 RBIs.

I would say the Giants jettisoned his ass just in time.

He’ll always have a place in helping win the title in 2010, but to bring him back this year. No. Hell No.

• blade3colorado said, on July 12, 2012 at 12:10 pm

Yeah, easy call.

35. DJLoo said, on July 12, 2012 at 11:25 am

After the 3 day Astro vacation in SF, it’s back to the saunas in Atlanta & Philly…….anybody nervous?

36. demp28 said, on July 12, 2012 at 11:26 am

Pablo off the hook on sexual assault charges. Yay!

• chipower9 said, on July 12, 2012 at 11:28 am

Woo Hoo!

• DJLoo said, on July 12, 2012 at 11:32 am

If his dick don’t fit – you must acquit…

• PawlieKokonuts said, on July 12, 2012 at 3:32 pm

POTD, with P standing for the article of Pablo’s anatomy that got him investigated.

37. snarkk said, on July 12, 2012 at 11:38 am

If she didn’t call, weren’t no trouble at all.
    But, she made a call, and troubled Panda, y’all.
    Now, the Sheriff is done.
    Says just Panda havin’ fun…

38. unca_chuck said, on July 12, 2012 at 11:55 am

Alfalfa/Stymie
    Control/Kaos
    Ward/Beaver
    Marcia/Jan

• DJLoo said, on July 12, 2012 at 12:28 pm

C’mon Chuck, Ward & Beaver had a wonderful father & son relationship and Alfalfa’s arch rival was Butch not Stymie…
      —–
      Jets/Sharks
      JFK/Castro or Kruschev
      Chiefs/Raiders
      Robinson/Lamotta
      USA/USSR

• unca_chuck said, on July 12, 2012 at 1:27 pm

Butch. Shit, i couldn’t remember the name. Spanky as well for the undying love of Dalia? Delia? Darlene?

39. unca_chuck said, on July 12, 2012 at 12:00 pm

Blade, I’m in the foothils of CA on the way to Tahoe. And, like Colo, this area is pretty much a giant pile of kindling waiting to explode.

Let’s hope this ain’t like the summer of 2008 when the entire San Joaquin valley went up in flames.

• blade3colorado said, on July 12, 2012 at 12:11 pm

Definitely. Have a good time.

• unca_chuck said, on July 12, 2012 at 12:25 pm

We got back yesterday . . . we DID miss 5 days in a row over 100ººº. Beach weather was 75º and sunny . . .

I took some pics where the sky at 11:00 am looked like sunset because there was so much smoke in the air. It was awful.

Funny, I use Alt+0186 for the degree symbol.

40. chipower9 said, on July 12, 2012 at 12:59 pm

Where exactly were you, Chuck? If on the way to Tahoe, you must have been on the 50 corridor. That is my stomping grounds (just East of Placerville – or as we affectionately call it…Old Hangtown).

• eddacker said, on July 12, 2012 at 1:03 pm

I grew up and became a man on hwy 49; does that count?

• unca_chuck said, on July 12, 2012 at 1:07 pm

At least it wasn’t a dirt road.

(insert rim job, uh shot . . .) hyuk too. many. bad. jokes. . . .

• unca_chuck said, on July 12, 2012 at 1:06 pm

Off of 80 . . . north of ya . . . it was funny, i almost went to the game that night at Raley. My daughter wanted to see the Grizzlies, but it didn’t work out.

• chipower9 said, on July 12, 2012 at 1:12 pm

Supposed to be 100 fucking 3º in Folsom today (had to test out the degree thingy). Do not know what possesed my dumb ass to ride the led sled today…gonna be a hot bitch riding home.

Black motorcycle + 100º-plus heat = dumbass to be riding.

But it sure was nice this morning with temps in the 60s – 70s….

41. eddacker said, on July 12, 2012 at 1:01 pm

alt+0186 is the ordinal indicator (like 1st, or twelfth) but looks just like a degree; it is slightly bigger and more elliptical than a degree.
    signed,
    pendanticED
    man of cardinal numbers

• unca_chuck said, on July 12, 2012 at 1:08 pm

Edd, yer bigger and slightly more elliptical than a degree . . .

• eddacker said, on July 12, 2012 at 1:12 pm

people always say that about me

OH, and sorry, maths and computers are the only things that approach my interests as much as baseball

• chipower9 said, on July 12, 2012 at 1:13 pm

I think that’s the way they do it across the pond, Ed. You know us Yanks…we gotta do it our way.

Slightly larger and elliptical works for me.

I hate the fucking All Star break and no games for a couple of days….Is it Friday, YET??!!

• eddacker said, on July 12, 2012 at 2:05 pm

no, it’s English language, ordinals are not numbers, think order: first place, 13th, place, etc. they show order.
        And yes I know the Yanks took the English language, reversed engineered it and made it better, y’all.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on July 12, 2012 at 3:36 pm

Will alt + 0186 work on a Mac? let’s see:

º¡•§

Hahahahahaha. I discovered that Mac of course is elegantly simple:

alt+0 = º

42. Alleykat said, on July 12, 2012 at 1:18 pm

You need to go just past Pollock Pines Chi,hang a left on Icehouse Road and do some killer fishing at Icehouse lake,Union Valley,and Loon Lake ,the last one is run by Loo’s family (grin) all great camping spots.

43. chipower9 said, on July 12, 2012 at 1:23 pm

Kat – I am very familiar with all of those lakes. Wrights Lake and Dark Lake (just up the road a bit more on 50 are also kick-ass). Couple of weeks ago I hiked in from Wrights to Grouse and Smith lakes. Did not have my fly pole but ran into a guy who did and he said the fishing was fantastic. These lakes have native fish (non-planters).

So, Loo’s family runs Loon Lake?

• Alleykat said, on July 12, 2012 at 1:39 pm

Nah I was kiddin ya on that one.Although it would be a funny name up at Loon Lake,sayin your going to Looney Loo’s campgrounds.
      Been to Wright’s lake as well,nice place,brought a canoe their once.Usually take my Western Aluminum Boat to all those lakes and then swing.down to Uncle Toms Cabin for a.few cold ones before going over to Stumpy Meadows Reseviour outside of Georgetown.

• chipower9 said, on July 12, 2012 at 2:19 pm

LMAO…that would be funny – Looney Loo’s Campground.

Ah yes…I have a circuit I do on the led sled – up through Georgetown, out past Uncle Tom’s Cabin, around past Ice House, back to Hiway 50 and home. It’s a great loop to do on a motorcycle.

44. chipower9 said, on July 12, 2012 at 1:24 pm

From Giants baseball and rivalries to fly fishing in America…see what the damned all star break does!

45. unca_chuck said, on July 12, 2012 at 1:26 pm

³º

46. unca_chuck said, on July 12, 2012 at 1:33 pm

Tell ya one thing, I’m glad Joe Pa at least faced some of his consequences before he had the werewithall to fucking die. What a major fuckhead. The dude should be stripped of all his accolades and made a pariah on that campus. It’ll never happen, though.

As I said before, they should suspend the Penn St. football program for at least 5 years. Get rid of EVERYONE. Start over in 5-10 years.

Frankly, I think Jerry jerk-off’s wife should be culpable in this as well. How the fuck do you hide this shit for so long? She had to know what was happening.

• chipower9 said, on July 12, 2012 at 2:22 pm

I agree, Chuck. Hell, how did she NOT perjure herself by telling the court she “never saw or heard” anything.

47. unca_chuck said, on July 12, 2012 at 1:34 pm

°º

• eddacker said, on July 12, 2012 at 2:07 pm

:D

48. SanDawg said, on July 12, 2012 at 1:37 pm

Great thread today. I’m on amtrack on the way to LA with a beachside window seat checking out the views and the posts. totally agree with Snarrk re Penn State. What a fucking sham of a program always on their high horse all these years. Who was that masked man who said early on here that Paterno’s ass was gonna get fired up and his reputation besmirched—and was widely criticized at the time? Oh yeah, it was me.
    Phil v Tiger
    David Lee v Sammy Hagar
    SDSU v BYU (ok that was a reach)

• twinfan1 said, on July 12, 2012 at 3:41 pm

Lots of civil lawsuits to follow, this is hardly over. The report couldn’t be more damning towards Paterno and we know that the living defendents will put the whole thing on him.Maybe a first step for the university should be to donate the 4 million he donated for the library to a victim’s fund.

49. unca_chuck said, on July 12, 2012 at 1:47 pm

AK, those campsites get crowded? I like camping, but I hate camping with 450 other campers around me. I went up to Sardine Lakes (Gold Lake, Deer Lake, Haven Lake, and a couple others I can’t remember, near the Sierra Buttes) out of Sierraville a couple years ago. Great spot. The best thing was Haven Lake has all of 4 camp sites, all about 100′ apart. Plus, there’s the added bonus of dirtbiking/offroading nearby.

My son is about to outgrow his 110, so I need to get out there soon.

50. Kevin said, on July 12, 2012 at 1:51 pm

I know about Ice House, they have a nice little bar up there

51. manny said, on July 12, 2012 at 2:03 pm

Giants/Dodgers
    Arkansas/Texas (before Arkansas moved to the SEC)
    I was born in Martinez, family moved back to Arkansas when I was 2 years old. I began loving
    baseball when I was about 7, but became a full fledged Giant fan in 1964. Living in Arkansas you
    had a huge majority of Cardinal fans, so you had Harry Caray on the radio. I grew to hate that
    homer SOB, but he was the only game in town. I remember when the Marichal/Roseboro incident
    went down, Harry or Jack Buck said the game was delayed by a fight, Alleycat, I also remember
    when the umpire didn’t allow Dietz first base on the HBP by Drysdale.

• unca_chuck said, on July 12, 2012 at 2:08 pm

Same thing happened to Hersheiser against the Giants when the Dogs broke their own record, but fior the life of me I can’t remember who got hit by the pitch.

52. eddacker said, on July 12, 2012 at 2:30 pm

feeling a bit silly about the maths posts, it is bedtime here and gametime Friday
    goodnight all

53. demp28 said, on July 12, 2012 at 2:30 pm

Popeye/Bluto
    Road Runner/Wile E. Coyote
    Foghorn Leghorn/Dog, I say Dog
    Bugs Bunny/Yosemite Sam
    Al Davis/NFL

Those are great rivalries!

54. demp28 said, on July 12, 2012 at 2:35 pm

Too much time on my hands today. I am sooooo ready for Giants baseball tomorrow night. Later fellow flappers!

55. zumie said, on July 12, 2012 at 3:06 pm

Here’s a rare positive thing I’ll say about the Dodgers…..in 2001 near the end of the season, Jim Tracy had his pitchers pitch to Bonds, during Bonds HR record chase. The Dodgers were out of contention, and he could have walked Bonds a bunch of times just to be a jerk, but he didn’t do that. His pitchers pitched to Bonds at the end of the season, and Bonds hit several HRs off of them.

56. dirtnrocksnomo said, on July 12, 2012 at 3:25 pm

Ali/Frazier

57. Irish Kevin said, on July 12, 2012 at 3:33 pm

Alien/Predator

58. Irish Kevin said, on July 12, 2012 at 3:34 pm

Rock/Apollo Creed

• Irish Kevin said, on July 12, 2012 at 3:34 pm

Rocky

59. PawlieKokonuts said, on July 12, 2012 at 3:40 pm

good thread. fun. and educational [for me]

Giants/Yankees — for me, I’ve never gotten over the 1962 loss. Well, correction. 2010 exorcised that. But in a way that’s hard to explain, they bother me more than the Dodgers. In 1981 I was at Yankee Stadium for the Series and reluctantly and half-heartedly rooted for the Dodgers. Wasn’t easy.

Syracuse/Georgetown in basketball — two decades ago

60. Alleykat said, on July 12, 2012 at 3:42 pm

Top Cat/Officer Dibble

61. Alleykat said, on July 12, 2012 at 3:55 pm

Chuck….Use to go to Packer Lake just below Salmon Lake.They have cool cabins you stay in.names like Maple Syrup,Duck Inn,Aspen,etc,what’s really nice is you get a boat assigned with the cabin name and row out and nail your limit and then you could either freeze them or have the lodge cook em up for dinner.The lodge at Packer is Awesome,stocked with any drink or beer you want,and the Mountain size Steaks or Prime Rib or killer size.
    Prices for the Cabins are reasonable.

62. stixwiz said, on July 12, 2012 at 3:57 pm

Where we at? Literally, a half game behind the LaBumbos and three point five up on the Snakes. But where the Giants really are at with a bit less than half the games left to go and with a 46-40 record depends primarily on two players who seem to be going in opposite directions.

#55: Timmy Franchise. Ain’t called that much any longer. Who knows where he is at. Word on the street is that he’ll get starts against Houston and the Dagos, skipping an appearance on the Philly trip between times. If he can’t get his shit together in those two patsy games (relatively speaking) maybe it’s time to cut bait, such as the stint on the DL and mucho recovery time starting at San Jose. I think that’s legal under the rules.

Guy on an upthrust is Pablo. Now off the hook on a likely bogus sexcrime charge (maybe she wanted to do a Lewinsky ~ the Rabbi’s daughter ~ for Panda,) but not having lost his manhood at approximately 24 hours of age, so more looking for some push-pull instead of that healing feeling Sandoval wanted to go downtown. Maybe someone in the S.C. Sheriff’s department does know the inside poop and if Ruppert Murdoch’s scandal sheets were still riding high, the funds might be found to give the whole thang a wee airing. But we’re most likely just left guessing and speculating. Good thing is that the whole messy affair is over and the Sword of Damocles no longer looms over Panda Power.

Take a look at Sandoval’s stats over the past ten games. His hamate problems seem to be over and he’s primed for a takeoff. Currently having produced 60 runs in 192 AB’s Sandoval enjoys a RP/AB of .312, a figure slightly higher than his BA. Of his 11 hits over those past ten, four were doubles and three were Dingers. So the power is tuning in. On those knocks he scored five times and drove in seven. Significantly, the noted hacker walked three times to no more than 5 K’s. So it looks like he’s seeing the ball as well as driving it. Over those 10 his SP has climbed from .463 to .500 while his OPS has jumped from .826-.862. Bear in mind that all this production has been against first place teams and some pretty decent pitchers. My take is that Kung Fu Panda is about to go on a tear and by the time we’re four days into October that current total of 8 HR’s is gonna be in the 20+ range ~ with other stats to match.

A happy Panda chawing down on fresh bamboo shoots and NL pitching is the precise tonic the team needs to develop a powerful offense, something to match a rotation now popping on 3.5 of five cylinders. Balanced with Buster and his steady approach at the plate and MelkMAN getting on base at a steady clip, this trio could drag #9 along with #15 kicking and screaming and with add-ons through the other four in the LU, provide sufficient offense to resurrect the Halloween Machine.

That’s the halfway take from back in the Stix.

• blade3colorado said, on July 12, 2012 at 4:33 pm

Hey there! My man Stix! Good post!

• Flavor said, on July 12, 2012 at 5:16 pm

You’re slippin, this used to be a daily sized post for you! Stop being such a stranger, Stix..

• blade3colorado said, on July 12, 2012 at 5:39 pm

“Another possibility with Lincecum is a trade to his hometown for King Felix. From a piece i just caught on Yahoo sports it seems that Seattle might be willing to move their man. So how bout Timmy, Crick, Joseph and a couple AAAA stars from Fresno. Someone else figure out the financial arrangements.”

I was thinking the same thing, but hoping that Timmy would string together 4-5 quality starts and then the trade would be more balanced . . . By the by, where did you see this Yahoo article?

• snarkk said, on July 12, 2012 at 6:45 pm

Stix, back from the sticks. Cool…

• chipower9 said, on July 13, 2012 at 8:34 am

Stix – not sure you will see this, but hopefully you post tomorrow.

Welcome back…I hope it is as a regular. I had a short hiatus, but am back…and have missed your posts.

63. Alleykat said, on July 12, 2012 at 4:29 pm

Batman and Robin/The Joker,Mr.Freeze,Riddler,Penguin ,King Tut

64. Alleykat said, on July 12, 2012 at 4:46 pm

Doc Holliday/Johnny Ringo…..

65. DJLoo said, on July 12, 2012 at 5:55 pm

DJLoo said, on December 29, 2011 at 4:16 pm

Wanna call Seattle about a Felix for Timmy package?

• blade3colorado said, on July 12, 2012 at 6:08 pm

Blade3colorado said, on December 29, 2011 at 4:15 pm

Wanna call Seattle about a Felix for Timmy package?

66. twinfan1 said, on July 12, 2012 at 6:26 pm

Well, it remains my opinion that they wouldn’t be trading Timmy now, certainly not in a package like that. Even if this ended up a lost season for him, they’re far better off having him work in the off season, put on some healthy pounds, and start anew in 2013. That package is predicated on Tim being finished- and if that’s the case,Seattle won’t want him anyway.We’d have a better chance getting Felix if Tim wasn’t in the package.

67. PawlieKokonuts said, on July 12, 2012 at 7:01 pm

LBJ / RFK

68. PawlieKokonuts said, on July 12, 2012 at 7:14 pm

Marilyn Monroe / Joe DiMaggio / the Kennedys

69. willedav said, on July 12, 2012 at 7:18 pm

felix, lol…is alex rios still available?
    what about oliver perez for zito? soriano for rowand?
    sometimes the best deal is the one you don’t make.

• blade3colorado said, on July 12, 2012 at 7:36 pm

Yeah, at a premium. Rios is having a great season willieD. Rios heads into the 2nd half batting .361 with 11 home runs and 34 RBI in his previous 42 games.

• twinfan1 said, on July 12, 2012 at 7:58 pm

Dirtty for Hart was said to be close before the deadline in 2010. The ramifications if that trade had been made are huge. And in this case, not all that favorable for us.

70. blade3colorado said, on July 12, 2012 at 7:33 pm

We all know that Timmy’s fastball velocity is about a mile and a half slower than it was in 2011. That doesn’t seem to be the problem though, because he has actually improved his strikeout rate this season. Personally, I am looking forward to his game against Houston Saturday. With the 1st half in the books, I am hoping he can perceive the 2nd half as a clean slate mentally and emotionally, whereby he gets off the dime with a win Saturday.

• Bozo said, on July 12, 2012 at 7:55 pm

His strikeout rate may have improved but it looks to me like the FB is rising where as in the past it seemed to have sink movement.
      I think Zum noticed that in Tim’s follow through he was landing on the mound wrong/different. Hopefully it’s something like that because when he’s on he is Tim when he’s not, well he’s not (I’m not going to compare him to some shit ass pitcher that may or may not be on our team).

• blade3colorado said, on July 12, 2012 at 8:11 pm

Didn’t know that John. Thanks.

71. unca_chuck said, on July 12, 2012 at 7:56 pm

Ahhhh, yeah,AK. Stopped by the lodge there back then. Just might check that out.

72. tedspe said, on July 12, 2012 at 9:54 pm

You guys fucking crack me up. Just catching up after a day of not being able to log on.
    Great stuff. Nice intro/thread willieD
    Alleykat–Have I mentioned Doc Holliday’s like a 4th cousin to my mother? Not only gives me feelings of shooting someone but if that don’t go well–removing a molar
    Mr. Lincecum will come back. You can’t be that good for so many years and all of a sudden MLB figures you out.
    Don’t make sense. Just don’t.
    On the other hand–Zito?
    OKAY; OKAY TIMMEH’S NO ZITO

73. tedspe said, on July 12, 2012 at 10:02 pm

I really amazes me that no one on the Oakland A’s roster or management have never quoted Yogi Berra. Because it’s so fitting.
    “If people don’t want to come out to the ballpark, how are you going to stop them?”
    Goodnight, gentlemen (question mark)

74. snarkk said, on July 12, 2012 at 10:53 pm

Sabean says Tim is pitching this weekend to avoid being skipped a start. Glory be, looks like some decisions are being made. And, Bochy says Huff could be back next week. To do what? If he is back, he’s probably on trial to show cause why he should not be traded or DFA’d before the deadline…

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 457 other followers