Cain vs. Hamels, who’s cuisine will reign supreme?

Posted in Uncategorized by ewisco on July 21, 2012

Here we go, Ace vs. Ace (Spy vs. Spy anyone?).  These two are surprisingly well matched.  Hamels and Cain were both drafted out of high school in 2002.  Hamels, out of San Diego, was the number 17 overall pick and Cain, out of Germantown TN, was the 25th pick.  Cain was the first to pitch in the Majors when he started a game against Colorado on August 29th of 2005.   He went 5 innings.  Struck out 2 and walked 4.  Lost 2-1 on a solo HR by  Matt Holiday in the second and when, in the 4th, Todd Helton scores after a walk, 2 base hits, and a double play.  This would later be known as being “Cained”.  Hamels debuted on May 12th of 2006.  He also went 5 innings, striking out 7 and walking 5, giving up no runs.  Since then, Hamels has an ERA of 3.36 to Cain’s 3.28.    Their career stats stand at (Hamels/Cain):

GAMES     CG          IP                           HR        BB        SO                WHIP

199/222     10/15   1287/1444    155/120  322/498  1216/1209   1.136/1.175

Their 2012 Stats are:

GS               ERA            IP              HR        BB       SO        WHIP

18/18  3.07/2.56   126/126.2  14/12   30/25  125/124  1.087/.955

If we look at Hamels at home vs. Cain on the road we see:

ERA                                                      IP       HR   BB       SO     WHIP

2.76/3.28 (9 games each)  64/57.2  6/7  17/17  69/55  1.097/1.197

And yet Hamels is 5-3 at home!!

So, what to look for in today’s game:  In Wins:

SO/9        SO/BB           HR    WHIP

8.6/9.9    4.28/5.5      7/3  1.000 .929

In loses:

SO/9           SO/BB             HR       WHIP

10.1/7.7     4.67/4.50     4/5    1.360/1.238

A very intriguing stat is that in day games, Hamels is 5-4 (6-0 at night!!) while Cain is 6-0 during the day (4-3 at night).

A look at the umpiring crew reveals no news as apparently this crew has not officiated either of the two teams.

When I started looking at this game, it was from the perspective that this is a game where the bats go cold and the giants lose.  Their Ace defeats our Ace.  But Hamels’ day game stats (5-3) give a sliver of hope.  Truly difficult to believe that Hamels gave up 7 HR’s in games that he’s won.  Thankfully we have Brandon Crawford.  Interesting to note that Matt has more walks when he wins than when he loses.  Obviously he needs to keep it in the park though (Cole seems to give up more homers in wins, go figure).  It’s easy to predict a low scoring affair, after all it IS Cain on the mound.  But if it is, it’s also possible to predict that Matty, probably not getting the W, prevails in the end.

Now, does someone else want to go after Ted?

About these ads

1. ewisco said, on July 21, 2012 at 4:20 pm

4-1 on this little east coast jaunt. excellent!

• blade3colorado said, on July 21, 2012 at 4:21 pm

Indubitably!

2. twinfan1 said, on July 21, 2012 at 4:21 pm

I’ll take it… man, I was a Belt lover- I’m down to “sorta like.”

• eddacker said, on July 21, 2012 at 4:23 pm

I still am and that is why I am so hard on him and his at bats, I WANT him to succeed.

3. Alleykat said, on July 21, 2012 at 4:21 pm

Well alrighty then.Giants Win theeeeeGiants Win!!!
    And Mr.Homer Mitchy go fuck yourself!! Joe Carter will supply the Crisco!!!

4. ewisco said, on July 21, 2012 at 4:23 pm

i had the sound down on the telly and listened to the radio. i can’t stand the network hacks.

• eddacker said, on July 21, 2012 at 4:24 pm

they were pro Philly all the way and I only listened to the first and the tenth

• Nipper said, on July 21, 2012 at 4:24 pm

Yeah they’re tiresome.

5. Alleykat said, on July 21, 2012 at 4:29 pm

Real discouraging about Belt ,Twin.Even when he gets ahead in the count 3-1, he is just passive with his cuts.He needed to drive threw the swings and hit it hard,just not seeing that.His SLG pct sucks with men in scoring postion.

6. Del Mar Dennis said, on July 21, 2012 at 4:30 pm

I might be the only Flapper who is a FOX Network fan. Least you forget they brought us the Simpsons?
    D’oh!

• Bozo said, on July 21, 2012 at 4:43 pm

True dat Dennis. Cartoons, yes. The rest of the shite they try to blow up my ass, not so much. To have all ownership of ALL games played, to the point that teams change their Saturday start times, and to also dick tate (how’s my dick tate?) what is being shown on a PAY channel? I hate them. Add in Joe Buck and Tim Macarvemybrainsout, unforgivable in my books.
      ESPN has at least one secondary channel, let them fuck us over for awhile. Oh yeah, I was only talking baseball coverage. Get me started on football and Flav will need to invoke the Flap Code of Conduct on me.

• Robbie Lou said, on July 21, 2012 at 4:46 pm

Bozo, you’re my idol and I don’t even know you.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on July 21, 2012 at 5:03 pm

Don’t put Bozo on a pedestal. Next thing ya know he’ll be singin’ the praises of camel racing in N’Orleans. If one of those camels ever needs a jockey, I’m gonna put my closer who’s in a NON-save situation atop his dromedary ass and ride ‘em like the wind.

• Robbie Lou said, on July 21, 2012 at 5:20 pm

The Dromedary, isn’t that the two-hump camel?

• Bozo said, on July 21, 2012 at 6:35 pm

Ya gotta admit Dennis, a camel on the streets of New Orleans is pretty cool. Although I hear the poor fella didn’t drink. Some folks would think that’s a waste of street space in NOLA.

7. Berger said, on July 21, 2012 at 4:41 pm

One comment from the cave with the bidet. Play Nate, win. BTW, I had a TV installed in the cave bathroom. I watched the whole game there and just kept flushing the toilet. What a great day in the Philippines! A Giants win and a totally clean butt hole!

• Bozo said, on July 21, 2012 at 4:44 pm

I think the flushing did some cleaning in Philly as well.

• Alleykat said, on July 21, 2012 at 4:45 pm

Most impressive Berger,A cave with a bidet,much more functional then toilet paper and a butt slide.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on July 21, 2012 at 5:10 pm

You guys wanna hear sumthin’ really sad? Berger and I had a long, well-thought out discussion about bidets just about an hour ago. He and I usually shoot the shit on the phone, but this time we were cleansing it.

8. Del Mar Dennis said, on July 21, 2012 at 4:43 pm

My buddy Baffert has a horse named Den’s Legacy (7/5) running here in the 6th at Del Mar.
    I can neither confirm nor deny Bob named the horse after yours truly.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on July 21, 2012 at 4:48 pm

Story of my life. Den got beat by a head on the wire. Baffert must have brought in his maiden horse, Den, in a NON-save running situation.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on July 21, 2012 at 5:31 pm

Is Baffert your friend for real? I have a man crush on him, according to my wife, not denied by me.

• Robbie Lou said, on July 21, 2012 at 5:31 pm

You’re a pretty confusing guy to follow Dennis, but I like your style.

9. Robbie Lou said, on July 21, 2012 at 4:44 pm

Quite a road trip considering the doubts we’ve seen whirled about the last week. Though I doubt a single thing has been resolved, it will make tomorrow a breeze. Sins and redemption and failure and success all in a few days. Now a sweep would be special just to stick it to the press, and, more so, to the really special Philly fans.

• Bozo said, on July 21, 2012 at 4:47 pm

” Now a sweep would be special just to stick it to the press, and, more so, to the really special Philly fans.”

Cheers on that one Robbie. Although, I’d say those fans in Philly are EXTRA special. Go Giants.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on July 21, 2012 at 4:53 pm

I knew what the reaction would be to a Jonathan Broxton pickup at the wire. Could the same be said of Shane Victorino? I know Shane’s one of those player’s you love to hate when he’s wearing the opposite uniform, but what if he was wearing the orange and black?

• blade3colorado said, on July 21, 2012 at 5:00 pm

Actually, I threw his name out there 2-3 weeks ago . . . He is a perfect buy low candidate in a big slump. I think the Phils are shopping him, as well as other Phils due to them already being out of the running for a playoff spot. Obviously, he would be a rent a player (due to his age and if you go by his previous contract demands . . . one reason the Phils are tired of his act), so no idea what it would take to get him. Yeah DMD, no problem as far as I am concerned.

10. Robbie Lou said, on July 21, 2012 at 4:52 pm

The Giants now lead the NL in saves, with 34. Weird how that is a little discussed factoid, though it has caused me many a hemorrhoid flare up.

• twinfan1 said, on July 21, 2012 at 5:30 pm

I pointed out their relief record the other day- even some of the best blog commenters are alarmists, win 5 of 6 and they be freakin’ about the loss. We not only have the most saves, we’re third in save percentage..
      Victorino? Just bring Brown up. I’m tellin’ ya- he’s better NOW, let alone the better upside.

• Bozo said, on July 21, 2012 at 5:37 pm

Not sure about Victorino, but Brown over Christian – I’m all for that.

11. blade3colorado said, on July 21, 2012 at 5:07 pm

Ed, just responded back to your email.

12. DJLoo said, on July 21, 2012 at 5:24 pm

I was concocting Victorino trades on the Splash back in ’07. He does make sense for us but I’d be stunned if it happened…

• Robbie Lou said, on July 21, 2012 at 5:30 pm

Sabean is way too cheap to pay for his ticket. He’s quite a demanding and cocky little guy.

• twinfan1 said, on July 21, 2012 at 5:41 pm

Cheap? Have you checked our payroll lately? Besides, he’s in no position to demand anything. He’s signed, we’d pay him about 3.5 million, he’s has no choice.

• Robbie Lou said, on July 21, 2012 at 5:52 pm

I thought I heard someone say he was demanding $14 million a year, and didn’t think they’d go for that much. I guess you’re talking the remainder of ’12, but I was assuming the talk was about offering him a contract. How much is the top fielding player making this year? I thought they were mostly bargain basements except for Posey.

• twinfan1 said, on July 21, 2012 at 6:08 pm

14 million? Nobody will pay him that, not close.

• twinfan1 said, on July 21, 2012 at 5:32 pm

He made sense in 2007..now he’s a good 4th OFer..

13. Robbie Lou said, on July 21, 2012 at 5:26 pm

The Giants sure have their share of mutterers. Zito, Lincecum and Casilla are good at it, but Belt seems to be leading the team now in it. Reminds me of these folks you see walking down the street acting like they’re talking to someone on their cell phone, but it’s obvious they’re just pretending. Makes me want to walk up to them and challenge them, but cell phone nutjobs are often armed and dangerous.

14. Del Mar Dennis said, on July 21, 2012 at 5:26 pm

A friend of mine send me this video of Frankel (my horse avatar) working the other day at Newmarket.
    Simply poetry in motion…

15. Robbie Lou said, on July 21, 2012 at 5:38 pm

If you’re Sabean and Bochy, how do you judge hitting talent in their system? Belt, Pill, Christian and the rest all seem to come up short. I mean I know they don’t see this sort of pitching, but there appears to be a bug in the hitting ointment.

• Bozo said, on July 21, 2012 at 5:47 pm

I think Posey and the Panda worked out pretty well.

• Robbie Lou said, on July 21, 2012 at 5:57 pm

Did Pablo come out of their farm system? I hadn’t followed it closely but it seems like there’s a bit of a divide lately. Don’t they have a hot hitter now down there, Gary Brown?

• twinfan1 said, on July 21, 2012 at 6:05 pm

Yes ,Pablo did.Counting pitchers- and they are part of the game, I think they have some pretty nice home grown products. Brown has been scorching in a pitcher’s league, I wouldn’t be surprised at all if he was the CFer by the end of the year.

16. Alleykat said, on July 21, 2012 at 5:47 pm

I’ll throw in another trade deadline move..Tampa Bay is in full trade mode.There looking for young.prospects at Catcher,Pitching,1B etc..
    Giants should make a Splash and offer Belt,Josephs,Hembree,couple low-minor prospects,hell throw in Nate…For Jeremy Hellickson and Ben Zobrist.

17. twinfan1 said, on July 21, 2012 at 5:47 pm

Christian is not from their system and they never thought of Pill as a prospect. As far as Belt, he’s getting way too pub good and bad. He’s had one full season in the MINORS. If they can’t deal with him, plenty of teams will.

18. Del Mar Dennis said, on July 21, 2012 at 6:01 pm

Here’s my take on the upcoming trade deadline. Our giants won’t make a “Big splash.” However, “My” Dodgers will take the plunge and acquire a few names. Now, nobody knows if those moves will beneficial or not. As usual, trade deadline moves are a crap-shoot. But it will *appear* that “My” Dodgers made the bigger attempt while our Giants stood pat.

You ever do that holding three-of-a-kind in poker and not draw? Bad move. You should ALWAYS draw two.

• blade3colorado said, on July 21, 2012 at 6:09 pm

Like others here, I think we can make it with what we have . . . I agree it wont be a big splash, if at all. However, you are comparing apples and oranges. Our payroll is approx. $130 million. The Bums are $114 million. They could spend as much as they want and their team still wouldn’t have a chance against us . . . Knock on wood.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on July 21, 2012 at 6:25 pm

Knock on wood you shall. We all know spending money doesn’t guarantee you anything. But it does guarantee you a better chance. Just ask the Yankees.

• Bozo said, on July 21, 2012 at 6:31 pm

I’m thinking any trades right now by the Giants would be for the Playoffs. The way I see it, the cards they’ve been dealt right now will bury the Dodgers. I don’t see anyone the Dodgers can/could pick up to change that.

• blade3colorado said, on July 21, 2012 at 6:42 pm

Absolutely John.

19. twinfan1 said, on July 21, 2012 at 6:06 pm

Well, your guys need more.

20. Del Mar Dennis said, on July 21, 2012 at 6:20 pm

Jesus H. Christ. I couldn’t hit my horse today if he were standing in the middle of my barn and I fell atop from the center of my loft. Crash. Bang. Boom! Right to the moon, Alice.

21. twinfan1 said, on July 21, 2012 at 6:22 pm

I’m going to bed. I’ll hope we don’t have Reid Brignac, Victorino, and no farm system when I get up.

• DJLoo said, on July 21, 2012 at 6:30 pm

You sound like Hyman Roth as a GM…

• Del Mar Dennis said, on July 21, 2012 at 7:47 pm

22. blade3colorado said, on July 21, 2012 at 7:36 pm

The only time I was shocked and shook my head on a Giants front office deal (trade, free agent signing, etc.) was when the GMen inked the ridiculous Barry Zito deal. I still have no idea who ultimately made that stupid decision, but am fairly certain that Sabean wasn’t responsible, except, perhaps, for not jumping up and down, complaining vociferously against the deal. Who knows? Maybe someone at 24 Willie Mays Plaza did complain. When that deal was signed, immediately upon hearing about it, I said “What the Fuck?”

I can’t say that I ever complained initially about any other trades or signings that were consummated by the Giants . . . The Garko trade? No, that came weeks later when I saw how bad he was. Armando Benitez? Nope . . . Again, I waited to see what we had before saying anything. Rowand? Same deal.

I think if everyone is honest, they more or less can say the same thing I am saying above. My point being that the Giants will evaluate the situation at or near the trade deadline and attempt to do what’s best for the team. Yes, the existing payroll comes into play. It is a business. Nevertheless, I trust Sabean and the brain trust to do the right thing. Go Giants!

23. Del Mar Dennis said, on July 21, 2012 at 8:14 pm

Hey, TF. I’m trying to get another film critic, Scott Weinberg, to reply to my Cassavetes/Gazzara connection with “The Killing of a Chinese Bookie.” It is one of the best “Underground” films in cinematic history. That was one helluva character study. No response from the so-called film critic. Jew think you can act? As Don Corleone said to Johnny Fontane, “You can act like a man.”

24. Del Mar Dennis said, on July 21, 2012 at 8:29 pm

Anyone here for signing Melky for ~ $15M/5 yrs.? That’s the figures I keep hearing.
    I just asked Frank, and he made a gesture towards his poopy box. Take that for what it’s worth…

25. willedav said, on July 21, 2012 at 8:36 pm

Yanks not enjoying Night at the Mausoleum…..again

• Del Mar Dennis said, on July 21, 2012 at 8:53 pm

I enjoyed that flick. And I’m probably in the minority, but I enjoy Ben Stiller. That’s probably because I love “Tropic Thunder” And “Starsky and Hutch.” By no mean means are either of those films are worthy of mention when it came to the Cannes Film Festival, but they’re worthy in my theater…

My motto has always been, “Grab some popcorn and enjoy the picture show.” Sit back, and relax…

26. Berger said, on July 21, 2012 at 8:40 pm

Seriously, we win because we play Nate. You 50 and 60 yeaar old burners, root for Belt, even thougtht Pill is the guy that should be playing. All you JR GMs are nothing but Flavorless. Nate is the guy. From the cave, go Nate. He played, we won!

• Del Mar Dennis said, on July 21, 2012 at 9:06 pm

Here goes Berger again on his Nate Schierholtz love-fest.
      Next thing you know, he’ll have you rooting for Alex Smith winning the Open at St. Anne’s.

I had a Sister Anne in charge of St. Jerome’s when I was in the 8th Grade.
      Bitch made me attend summer school before I could be admitted to Salesian High School.
      My Uncle John was the principal of Salesian at that time. I got no special privilege.
      The other students assumed that since I was the nephew of the head man in charge, that I had it made in the shade. That couldn’t be farther from the truth. I had to work my ass off to get into Bullwinkle’s school…

27. Berger said, on July 21, 2012 at 9:02 pm

28. Macdog said, on July 21, 2012 at 9:10 pm

Back from Philly, an entertaining game to say the least.

Went with a Mets fan who had never been to CBB. Last week he was in SF and went to the Lincecum game vs. Houston, and he brought along the orange Cain shirt that was given out that night. Upon entering, we immediately saw a crowd on the field — it was Picture Day! So onto the field we went and got some pix of Rollins, Pence and none other than Uncle Charlie! Then a tour of the park and onto our seats in the upper deck, where we mingled throughout with a couple older Phils phans (there ya go, Pawlie).

And what a game. The All-Star pitchers hitting HRs (hope you liked that Nipper), a Buster bomb, blasts from the past by Utley and Howard, Pagan getting tossed, two balls thrown back to Hamels at the same time, a huge Melkman delivery, a standing O for Hamels, a missed squeeze by Blanco, a DMD special with the closer in the second inning of a non-save situation, redemption by the White Shark, and finally, Casilla nailing it down by getting Rollins on a lineout to The Riot, who had a helluva game in the field.

Afterward, it was onto Pat’s King of Steaks in south Philly for a cheesesteak (provolone wit) and cheese fries. Aerosmith had a concert across the street from CBB, but for any Phillies phans expecting a win today — Dream On.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on July 21, 2012 at 9:26 pm

Dream On? That was a great HBO comedy from the early 90’s.I remember watching that poor sap try to get back his life. His wife was Wendy Maick. She was hot. That was 22 years ago. She’s still hot!

29. Berger said, on July 21, 2012 at 9:16 pm

• DJLoo said, on July 21, 2012 at 9:53 pm

Lay off Unca Chuck or I *will* take a giant shit on you…

30. DJLoo said, on July 21, 2012 at 9:45 pm

Where the fuck is PaulinAsia?

• zumiee said, on July 21, 2012 at 10:23 pm

In Asia.

• willedav said, on July 21, 2012 at 10:27 pm

probably doing something sensible…like reading all this bs, laughing, and staying out of it, above the fray.
      I used to tell b-ball kids, if someone on other team jacks you up with an unseen cheap shot, don’t do something equally as stupid (like retaliate and get caught) and lower yourself to their level—get your revenge on the scoreboard and just point to it..

31. Berger said, on July 21, 2012 at 10:27 pm

32. Berger said, on July 21, 2012 at 10:43 pm

33. ewisco said, on July 21, 2012 at 11:10 pm

‘night lads. Play nice.

34. Berger said, on July 21, 2012 at 11:25 pm

BTW- I’m only going after Unca because he made some shoot from the hip comments about Nate. I think Nate is important. Most here think otherwise. Unca made a comment that needed further developing. We’ll see who is right. Unca has tendency to say things that have emotion but no merit. I’m calling him out because I am a Nate fan. If I turn out to be wrong, so be it. But the loose cannon comments will be noted. Nate is a good ballplayer, in my opinion. Let us all see what happens. Good night my friends.

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 501 other followers