I could…I really could…but I won’t

Posted in Uncategorized by tedspe on August 1, 2012

I could write about the Giants win last night, stopping a season worst 5 game slide…but I won’t. I could make some asinine arguement about TIMMY’S BAAAAAACK…but I won’t. I could make some pithy comments about the Hunter Pence trade (seriously, see ya Nate. Thanks for 2010. God bless ya and good luck, chief)…but I won’t. I could mention the fucking Dodgers lost thus putting the Giants in 1st place SOLO…SANS COMPETITION…but I won’t.

No, you gentlemen(?) will certainly cover all those bases (rimshot) as the day goes by just as we all did last night. So I will simply go where I wish to go this morning.

The last time I did one of these things the subject was actors who looked like they could really play pro-baseball. Being the unimaginative twit that I am, today will be the opposite. Baseball players who look like they can really be actors. On that last thread some Flappers already brought up pro-baseball players who achieved good careers in film and TV. Namely Bob Uecker, Chuck Connors and Kurt Russell. But the facts show the successful crossover is extremely rare. Football players thrive better in this area for whatever reason. I have my theories but that would make this thread go on forever.

Now, other Flappers mentioned Babe Ruth playing himself in THE PRIDE OF THE YANKEES. What a lot of people don’t know is that The Bambino actually had a short but respectable film career as an actor while he was still a ballplayer. Sure, he always played a guy named Babe Ruth who was a baseball player but “playing yourself” in movies isn’t as easy as it sounds. It’s not like being yourself for an interview. You have to memorize your lines, pick up your cues, know your blocking, be prepared for multiple takes, etc. but primarily to be good you also have to appear natural. As much as I love Sergio Romo (Monday’s game not withstanding) and his little Giants game promos, they *are* a little awkward (that’s actually a lot of their charm). As game as Romo is, he’s a bit stiff, mannered and obviously out of his element. And Brian Wilson. Despite his obvious love of the spotlight, frankly he looks a bit stiff in all his media appearances as well. In fact, only Buster Posey shows a certain amount of natural presence in his spots.

Willie Mays appeared as “himself” on the occasional sitcom. Probably the best was a cameo on BEWITCHED and the joke was the reason he was so good was because he was a witch himself. And I’m sure you all remember the SEINFELD two part episode with Keith Hernandez. Now HE was good. That’s a guy that who took an acting lesson or two. And he’s also been on LAW AND ORDER and a couple other things.

No, most of these guys are one-offs, mainly because they all suck(ed) as actors. Sandy Koufax on DENNIS THE MENACE, Wade Boggs on CHEERS, Mark McGwire on MAD ABOUT YOU, Johnny Bench on THE PARTIDGE FAMILY. Yogi Berra, Mickey Mantle and Roger Maris got to share some screen time with Doris Day and Cary Grant in THAT TOUCH OF MINK delivering striking performances (with apologies to Dorothy Parker) that ran the gamut of emotions, from A to B. Former Giant Royce Clayton just played former Giant Miguel Tejada in MONEYBALL and did just okay. Even managers try to get in on the act. Sparky Anderson on W.K.R.P., Leo Durocher with the hat trick appearing on MR. ED, THE MUNSTERS and THE BEVERLY HILLBILLIES. Trust me..ain’t NO ONE gonna ask Bochy to say a few lines on HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER.

But no one besides Uecker, Connors and Russell seemed to have been able to make a career of it. Don Drysdale did pretty well in the acting arena and showed a natural affinity playing in everything from LEAVE IT TO BEAVER and THE BRADY BUNCH to THE RIFLEMAN and THEN CAME BRONSON. Quite a few appearences. But still…primarily a ballplayer.

However, I am grossly neglecting one guy…

Johnny Berardino!!!

11 years in the big leagues, the Show for crying out loud, with the St. Louis Browns, the Indians and the Pirates. Sonavabitch also took 3 years outta baseball to be in your World War II!!!! a FUCKING WAR HERO!!! (it was a big war, a major war, we went in to win, we wanted to win..we won) and still an acting career that lasted between 1948 and 1993!!! Including 30 years alone on GENERAL HOSPITAL!!!

I didn’t mention him till now because, well frankly, I didn’t think anyone, with maybe the exception of Loo and/or twin, would even know who the hell this numbnut was.

Ya’ll know me. I could have gone on forever so I left a lot of guys out. Did I miss any of your favorites? Or better yet, what major league baseball player *really* dropped a steaming load of horse manure on celluloid?

About these ads

1. unca_chuck said, on August 1, 2012 at 9:50 pm

If the Giants somehow win this game, it’ll be unreal. They took Niese out, anyway.

2. snarkk said, on August 1, 2012 at 9:51 pm

Mets reading the Giants playbook on finding ways how not to score when runs are basically handed to you.
    After that kind of scoring ineptitude, usually the other team scores and wins. Hear that Giants, that’s your cue. Get ‘er done…

3. Del Mar Dennis said, on August 1, 2012 at 9:51 pm

We *should* be losing 8-1. The Mets sucks more than the newest harlot straight of the bus from Indiana at Chuck’s whorehouse looking to make a dollar…

4. Del Mar Dennis said, on August 1, 2012 at 9:53 pm

Anyone concerned about the D-Backs? Are the Snakes in it to win it?

• twinfan1 said, on August 1, 2012 at 10:05 pm

Well, you aren’t. You gave the division to LA. Remember?

5. Del Mar Dennis said, on August 1, 2012 at 9:57 pm

I almost forgot…Frankel, ’nuff said. Best fucking thoroughbred on the planet.
    The Sussex Stks. was nothing more than a gloried workout, but it was still an honor and privilege to watch that son of Galileo (whose Coolmore hat I continue to sweat in) strut his stuff. Bravo.

6. unca_chuck said, on August 1, 2012 at 9:59 pm

Every time AZgets close, they fall back. IF the Giants hadn’t lost 5 in a row, they wouldn’t be so close.

Any word on how Pablo’s progressing?

7. unca_chuck said, on August 1, 2012 at 10:05 pm

Jeeeesus. Whay am I watching this? Torture in the worst way.

8. DJLoo said, on August 1, 2012 at 10:05 pm

Got ‘em right where we want ‘em…
    Is the Giant BP still considered a strength?

• snarkk said, on August 1, 2012 at 10:07 pm

For the opposition, yes…

9. Berger said, on August 1, 2012 at 10:05 pm

snarkk- When you saId “bingo” above, it was for bogus stats. Unca likes to quote bogus stats to prove a point. He’s been doing it on multiple blogs. He told us Pence is hitting .290/17/90. Actually it is .269/17/59.

• snarkk said, on August 1, 2012 at 10:07 pm

He got the 17 right?
      Bongo…

• unca_chuck said, on August 1, 2012 at 10:08 pm

I;m talking averages, skippy.

• Berger said, on August 1, 2012 at 10:11 pm

How does .269 avg and 59 RBI compute as an average of .290 and 90 RBI Master Skippy?

• Berger said, on August 1, 2012 at 10:12 pm

Looks like about .267 now.

• willedav said, on August 1, 2012 at 10:11 pm

dude, pls, give it a rest. Nate’s gone on to greener pastures–good luck and enjoy the weather. Hunter Pence has been a good player for a while now, and as a RH hopefully will do well here. If you want to chat up Nate, I’m sure the Philly blogs would be glad to hear it. It would give them something to talk about beside Ruben Amaro Jr.

• Berger said, on August 1, 2012 at 10:14 pm

It was a bad trade. Actually, I’m hoping I’m wrong, but I doubt it. Pence is not as good as you guys think.

10. unca_chuck said, on August 1, 2012 at 10:07 pm

OK. That;s why. Un fucking believable.

11. Del Mar Dennis said, on August 1, 2012 at 10:08 pm

OMFG. Another DP by the Mets. The Mets *should* be winning by 10-1 now. If we somehow win this shit in the B9, it’ll be the biggest game we didn’t DESERVE to win.

12. Del Mar Dennis said, on August 1, 2012 at 10:09 pm

WTF is the Mets closer? He’s not on any of my fantasy teams.

13. Del Mar Dennis said, on August 1, 2012 at 10:10 pm

Pence…Pence…Pence!!!

14. snarkk said, on August 1, 2012 at 10:12 pm

It’s official.
    The Pence trade is a bust…

15. Del Mar Dennis said, on August 1, 2012 at 10:12 pm

Jesus H. Fucking Christ! That ball was outside. But it’s 0-2, gotta protect the plate…

16. Del Mar Dennis said, on August 1, 2012 at 10:14 pm

I’m sorry, Scutaro will always be an Athletic to me. I can’t root for him. Same as a Pagan.
    2-1 or 8-1 as it should have been. A loss is a loss is a fucking loss.

• twinfan1 said, on August 1, 2012 at 10:15 pm

Learn to.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on August 1, 2012 at 10:19 pm

Even the Rosetta Stone won’t help me there. No can do…

17. unca_chuck said, on August 1, 2012 at 10:14 pm

Sorry Bergs i was wrong.

It’s .290 30 95

Wonder what Nate’s averages are?

• Del Mar Dennis said, on August 1, 2012 at 10:16 pm

Who has those numbers?

• Berger said, on August 1, 2012 at 10:17 pm

How’s that .267 looking? Did you notice Nate won the game for the Phillys today?

• twinfan1 said, on August 1, 2012 at 10:18 pm

Yeah, trades are always judged by one game.

• unca_chuck said, on August 1, 2012 at 10:20 pm

Sorry, those numbers are .290 21 HRs 79 RBIs for Pence.

• unca_chuck said, on August 1, 2012 at 10:21 pm

Go root for them, skippy.

• unca_chuck said, on August 1, 2012 at 10:17 pm

OK Here’s Nate:

.270 4 19.

Yeah, the Giants got fleeced.

• Berger said, on August 1, 2012 at 10:21 pm

Who won today? Who is getting about 12 extra million? You go on loving .267 Pence. He is not worth 13 million.

• unca_chuck said, on August 1, 2012 at 10:22 pm

Yeah, base the trade on one day. Good one. Nate’s in last place. He’s starting because they just traded 2/3 of their OF.Boo hoo.

18. TedSpe said, on August 1, 2012 at 10:18 pm

Uhm…fuck

19. snarkk said, on August 1, 2012 at 10:18 pm

May I suggest the Giants offense has been horsemanure on this home stand. Wow. Almost every starter we face is Walter Johnson or Lefty Grove reincarnated. Not to mention defense reverting back to slop, and the Pen looking pedestrian as hell. Very disappointing…

20. Berger said, on August 1, 2012 at 10:19 pm

Pence moved into the cave today and got nothing rocking. I’m sure the talk here will be about no hits for Pill while Pence will get a pass. This site loves Pence.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on August 1, 2012 at 10:21 pm

Not I said Frank the Cat. I hate everyone.

• zumie said, on August 1, 2012 at 10:22 pm

Berger, you need to read the Flapper Code of Conduct. It’s a link on the rightside of the page. Article 1 says that overly repetitious stuff meant to stir stuff up can be deleted.

• Berger said, on August 1, 2012 at 10:31 pm

Why is this repititious? Pence is fresh material. You guys pat each other on the back for agreeing with each other while I go to bed. When somebody disagrees with the blog posse you can resort to deleting. This must be a closed knitting circle.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on August 1, 2012 at 10:23 pm

I went and saw my therapist today. I still hate everyone. And yours truly is batting lead off. Move over Blank Zero…

• twinfan1 said, on August 1, 2012 at 10:24 pm

No knowledgeable fan judges a player by one game. Pill *or* Pence.

• Berger said, on August 1, 2012 at 10:37 pm

Good point, but it happens here much. It depends if you are an “in” or an “out” player with this crowd.

• unca_chuck said, on August 1, 2012 at 10:41 pm

Really Bergs? Playing the clique card?

The point is, No one on Earth equates Pence with Nate. Look at their career numbers.

• snarkk said, on August 1, 2012 at 10:47 pm

I liked Nate. I still do.
        But, I’d take Pence over Nate 8 days a week. No contest. No sober GM in MLB would say otherwise…

21. TedSpe said, on August 1, 2012 at 10:23 pm

As the moon shines over my cowshed…I bid you all adieu
    Later my brave compatriots
    Ain’t no big thang
    Sleep well, lads. Remember, you’re all gentlemen (question mark)(s)

• Del Mar Dennis said, on August 1, 2012 at 10:43 pm

Did ya take a good gander at the Earth’s satellite tonight? It’s glow shines upon the Flap. Ted, you really outdid yourself — again. You’re A-#1 when it comes to movies, actors and terrific reviews. Who needs IMDb when we got you. I really appreciate and take into consideration all of your entertainment history and background. I’m a huge fan myself. It’s nice to know that I have a Yoda to teach me here on the Flap.

“No! Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try.”

I hope Bochy and company are listening…

22. unca_chuck said, on August 1, 2012 at 10:24 pm

Right Bergs. Pence’s numbers in his career mean nothing. Just like Nate’s mean what?

23. unca_chuck said, on August 1, 2012 at 10:30 pm

Whitehead optioned. Sanchez activated.

24. Macdog said, on August 1, 2012 at 10:32 pm

Another August off to a rip-roarin’ start for the Giants.

25. twinfan1 said, on August 1, 2012 at 10:33 pm

Yeah, they’re 0-1.

26. unca_chuck said, on August 1, 2012 at 10:34 pm

Losing 3 of 4 at home to the Mets would be pretty fucking sad.

27. Berger said, on August 1, 2012 at 10:34 pm

BTW, one more thing about Philly, not only is Nate in RF, making one of his patended great catches to save their game, Kevin Frandsen is at 3rd.

• unca_chuck said, on August 1, 2012 at 10:36 pm

And Philly is in last place.

• snarkk said, on August 1, 2012 at 10:36 pm

Yeah, get Frandsen back. How did we let him go?…

• unca_chuck said, on August 1, 2012 at 10:38 pm

Yeah,we should trade Panda for Frannie.

• twinfan1 said, on August 1, 2012 at 10:50 pm

Now I know Snarkk has been pulling our legs all night. Gold, baby.

• snarkk said, on August 1, 2012 at 10:53 pm

While Chuck gets Frannie back for Panda, let’s trade Buster for Tommy Joseph. He’s younger and has a better ankle… ;)

28. unca_chuck said, on August 1, 2012 at 10:35 pm

Bergs, just shut up and go away. Your one-note song is stale.

• Berger said, on August 1, 2012 at 10:43 pm

It was a bad trade. But that opinion gets you ostracized here. You bet I’m going away. A conversation with the dog would be more fruitful. Like I said earlier, you guys pat each other on the back over this bad trade. I get it, opposing opinions need to go away. We’ll revisit this confab in 30 days.

• twinfan1 said, on August 1, 2012 at 10:47 pm

Dude, when you’re comparing Pill and Pence you *should* be talking to the frigging dog.

• unca_chuck said, on August 1, 2012 at 10:52 pm

Because as opinons go, that’s a pretty silly one.

The Giants needed a RH hitter with some pop. They got that for a backup OFer and a couple minor leaguers. Pence isn’t a rental like Beltran was last year.

• Berger said, on August 1, 2012 at 10:53 pm

I’m not comparing Pill to Pence. I was just making a point that Pence will get a pass while Pill won’t. They bothwent ofer. This site has the “in” players and the ‘out” players. Pence is already in and Pill is neither, yet.

• twinfan1 said, on August 1, 2012 at 11:13 pm

That’s completely ridiculous- of course a player with a proven track record of success gets more slack. Pill’s situation has nothing to do with how some bloggers view him- he needs to perform better or he’ll be back down-for good this time.

29. snarkk said, on August 1, 2012 at 10:36 pm

Even if SF wins tomorrow, they’ll be 4-6 on this home stand. That would be tolerable, barely, on a roadie. But, at home, that just is a killer…

• twinfan1 said, on August 1, 2012 at 10:44 pm

Ridiculous. You just gave the division to a team that just got swept at home. What was that?

• snarkk said, on August 1, 2012 at 10:51 pm

WTF are you talking about? That’s a “killer” is a term of art. I didn’t give LA anything because of this home stand. I’m not taking that bait…

• twinfan1 said, on August 1, 2012 at 11:03 pm

No, you already gave it to them. So how is their getting swept at home not “killer”? No “bait”- you are just being inconsistent.

30. twinfan1 said, on August 1, 2012 at 10:39 pm

Pill’s hope in staying is to provide some power OFF THE BENCH. I wouldn’t count on him padding his numbers much, Berger.

• Berger said, on August 1, 2012 at 10:50 pm

TF- Nobody is the answer with Bochy. He is great with a pitching staff but his teams will always struggle to score. Just like Dusty Baker’s and Don Baylor’s teams will always hit well. Bochy needs to change his offensive approach. Just my opinion.

• zumiee said, on August 1, 2012 at 10:55 pm

• twinfan1 said, on August 1, 2012 at 11:00 pm

Yeah, the league is littered with All-Stars who “escaped” Bochy. Bulletin- nobody scores much here. It’s not called a pitcher’s park for nothing. We’ve been in the upper half in the NL in scoring on the road the last 3 years. You need to look a little closer at things, Berg.

• unca_chuck said, on August 1, 2012 at 10:59 pm

Look, Bergs, Nate had his shot,. He didn’t take advabntage of it.Get over it. Pill isn’t cutting it. Their success with drafted position players are Buster and Panda. They have been fair to middling with FAs. The problem with the hitting is they don’t have a true power hitter. They haven’t had one since Bonds left. Pence isn’t the answer, but he’s better than anything they have not named Buster. When Panda comes back, this team will be in much better shape. When the 3-4-5-6 is Melky, Buster, Panda, and Pence, they will score runs.

31. snarkk said, on August 1, 2012 at 10:55 pm

Nite ya nuckleheads…

32. Del Mar Dennis said, on August 1, 2012 at 11:05 pm

Let’s get one thing straight: With the recent trades that have gutted the second division teams in both the Central and East, smart money is that BOTH Wild Cards will come from those divisions. Cincy, Pitt, Wash, and Atl will be beating up on their division rivals who will be starting The Stooges in their outfield. No WC will come out of the NL West. Win the division or…

33. twinfan1 said, on August 1, 2012 at 11:08 pm

No- you get it straight- you have no idea how this will play out.

34. unca_chuck said, on August 1, 2012 at 11:12 pm

Nate and Frannie are going to lead Philly to the playoffs, Dennis.

35. Del Mar Dennis said, on August 1, 2012 at 11:35 pm

From Baggs: The Giants optioned Justin Christian and activated Shane Loux. Giants going with a 13-man staff for now.

13-man pitching staff? Just saying that “We DESERVE to lose,” isn’t enough. This is the penultimate Sabean/Bochy move that broke my already fractured spine.

“We’re going to Colorado, best get another pitcher.” Fuck that thinking and your mother.
    Fuck this goddamn bullshit mentality. I have both Rutledge (great p/u on my part) and Cargo on my Flap fantasy team. 13 is my lucky number…

36. zumiee said, on August 1, 2012 at 11:45 pm

“Penultimate”? Why is it the “penultimate” move?

37. Del Mar Dennis said, on August 2, 2012 at 12:03 am

I DARE anyone of you to tell me that having 13 pitchers on your roster is a good move.
    You can’t. Don’t even bother. If you do, I’m going to have Mel Brooks kill your first born male child.
    REPEAT after me: Thou shall not have thirteen pitchers on thy roster.

Hail Bochy, full of shit
    13 pitchers are with thee
    Blessed art thou among relievers
    And blessed is your lineup that
    screams Jesus H. Christ
    Holy Buster, son of a bitch
    that’s all you can give us
    pray for Hunter Pence
    now as we lose to “My” Dodgers
    amen

38. ewisco said, on August 2, 2012 at 5:41 am

having trouble posting new thread.

• eddacker said, on August 2, 2012 at 7:12 am

I will be there rooting for ya to get it posted

39. Nipper said, on August 2, 2012 at 3:18 pm

No fights yet? I thought you guys would break out into one.

40. Celina said, on September 19, 2012 at 4:26 am

Hi! Do you know if they make any plugins to safeguard against hackers?
    I’m kinda paranoid about losing everything I’ve worked hard on.
    Any suggestions?

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 457 other followers