What’s in a Number?

Posted in Uncategorized by Del Mar Dennis on August 4, 2012

“Numbers rule all things.” ~Pythagoras. There’s a familiar name. I’m sure most of you are well aware of the Pythagorean Winning Percentage developed by Bill James that uses runs scored and runs allowed to tell you if a team has been lucky or not.  Our boys’ record isn’t so hot at the moment. The Giants *should* be 54-42  according to Pythagoras, but it’s not my intention to discuss what our record should or shouldn’t be.

I’m just talking numbers in general. Pythagoras believed numbers have a soul and magical powers. Really? OK. Who am I to argue with the great Greek philosopher and mathematician? Numbers are used in religions, mythology and superstitions all around the world.

In numerology, people born on the 5th of the month can face certain challenges in their lives. They tend to be impatient and impulsive. They are prone to overindulge their senses in food, alcohol, sex and drugs. They must be careful to protect their health from the excesses of their tastes. I was born on the 5th. That nail couldn’t have been hit more squarely on its head if you tried.

And then there’s our great game of baseball. Baseball is all about numbers. I remember growing up there seemed to be only two stats: AVG. and ERA. Now? I can’t keep track of half of them. ISO. wRC+. UZR/150. xFIP. A guy could get a headache hanging out on Fangraphs for too long.

Then there’s the deal with the players and their jersey number. We all know how fussy and superstitious they can be about getting “their” number. Jersey numbers have been bought and sold a hundred times over.

So, do you guys have any favorite or maybe even lucky numbers? Do numbers have any meaning, or are they just simple counting symbols? My favorite numbers at the track are 3, 6 and 9 with 6 being my most favorite. Notice I said favorite, I didn’t mention anything about them being lucky.

About these ads

1. manny said, on August 4, 2012 at 6:55 am

I was born 5/5/55, guess I was inclined to like Mexican whores, Cocaine, and Beer..

• eddacker said, on August 4, 2012 at 6:58 am

you don’t have to be born on that day to like those.

but it helps

2. eddacker said, on August 4, 2012 at 6:56 am

Yo, Denny, I’m a 5th and nails on heads there!
    I have favourite numbers, but never have I been lucky. I also come from a mathematics background so numbers are real for me. I hate statistics, not because the math is hard to follow, but because they can be so deadly right. I hate being understood by my numbers. Maybe that is why I was slow to board the Sabermetrics train.

I just finished my first watch of ‘Moneyball’ and after having paid attention to the new stats the last 3 or 4 years I am a convert. Not a drooling, wide-eyed fanatic, but I can make sense of many of them and that is cool.

I take my numbers with some consideration, flavoured with seat-of-the-pants judgements.

Over time numbers do work. There is a very special number, called i, known as the invisible number. It is the negative square root of one. FWIW all square numbers are positive -2 x -2 = +4. Over time this invisible number kept showing up in nature so early mathematicians had to invent i; a thing that isn’t mathematical, but is real. I learned this at an early age and therefore I have always trusted numbers because even the improbable, invisible ones exist in nature. And I trust nature more than I trust numbers.

If one looks deep enough at baseball numbers they had to be a challenge and had to be attacked by present day mathematics and statisticians in order to make order out of the chaos that is our game. So many variables reduced to a single quantity. A challenge indeed!

When you are at fangraphs check out the calculations behind a single stat. It is amazingly complicated and it is new and still evolving.

3. willedav said, on August 4, 2012 at 7:28 am

F-G had a column couple days ago about the phillies in 2013. gist of it was even though they just sold off some parts, contending next year is not out of the question. So the writer was trying to figure out, using the better than replacement player stat WAR, and comparing 2011 numbers to next season, how much WAR was going to need to be added to have a team that would win 95 games.
    Some of the bloggers pointed out flaws in the numbers he was using, such as overestimating what Jimmy Rollins (and others) would bring you next year as his offensive stats continue to erode with age, but I thought it was a good read. Maybe at some point later in the season I might try and extrapolate this for Giants starting LU and the PS, figure out where you need to get more production, and call it “The Art of WAR.”

4. DJLoo said, on August 4, 2012 at 7:33 am

3-6-9…

5. DJLoo said, on August 4, 2012 at 7:36 am

Pythagoras (Sunday Silence – Ballet Queen by Sadlers Wells)

6. willedav said, on August 4, 2012 at 7:50 am

From last night, despite extra game in the NL due to the DH, 75 runs scored in 9 games (avg. 8+, so 4.3 runs, etc), counting the 20 put up by SF/Colo. Total of only 11 HRs hit all night in the NL, with 4 games featuring none hit at all. Mil at STL, won by Cards 9-3 that ha 25 hits combined, 0 HRs.
    The A’s and Toronto played 15 last night with A’s eventually winning it on sac fly by Crisp after a Weeks (who hit ninth) triple. Blue Jays got a 3 run HR with two outs in top of 9th to tie it off closer ryan cook, but had only 11 hits and struck out 16 times in 53 official ABs.
    Correct me if I’m wrong, but the “M-ball” movie makes little mention of Miguel Tejada and the A’s stellar SPs. They had a great year but it wasn’t exactly all because Beane picked up Scott Hatteberg.

7. zumiee said, on August 4, 2012 at 7:53 am

I thought it was kind of interesting that someone did some research and found out that Hack Wilson had been cheated out of an RBI in his record-breaking year, and MLB changed his long-standing RBI record from 190 to 191. Some record numbers are easy to remember. That 190 RBI record was easy to remember so I guess 191 won’t be hard to remember. Ruth’s 714 is easier for me to remember than whatever Aaron’s and Bond’s numbers are. Wilt’s 100 points in a game is easy to remember, obviously. The fact that Yaz won a batting title with .301 is a cool number.
    I like what happens when hits are divided into multiples of nine ABs. The batting averages become .111, .222, .333, .444, etc.
    I don’t like NFL receivers wearing numbers in the teens. It annoys me for some reason.
    Zito’s number 75 is kind of annoying, but that just might be his pitching.
    I’m impressed how Michael Jordan made the number 23 special and well-known around the globe.

• zumiee said, on August 4, 2012 at 8:00 am

On the multiples of nine ABs- as long as the hits are not a prime number, i.e. 17, 19, etc.

8. Bozo said, on August 4, 2012 at 7:55 am

Numbers? Well I have to go with 2 and 4. Combined they’re Willie’s number. With a slash in the middle (2/4) it’s a Polka beat. Two plus four is a six pack, so all together a damn good day.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on August 4, 2012 at 9:12 am

Did you get my trade offer? I sent it a couple of days ago.

• Bozo said, on August 4, 2012 at 1:08 pm

Just did.

9. Nipper said, on August 4, 2012 at 8:06 am

I’m trying to lose a few lbs. so 200 is important to me. I’m within four lbs. losing 21 lbs.

• twinfan1 said, on August 4, 2012 at 9:58 am

So those 4 pounds will get you to what? 300?

• Nipper said, on August 4, 2012 at 10:17 am

204 lbs. right now after three months of cutting back.

• twinfan1 said, on August 4, 2012 at 10:23 am

Well, good for you. Now about that 4’11″…

• Nipper said, on August 4, 2012 at 10:27 am

LOL

10. Nipper said, on August 4, 2012 at 8:50 am

Mays number 24 will always be special.

11. Del Mar Dennis said, on August 4, 2012 at 9:11 am

How’s this for a coincidence? Or maybe it’s not a coincidence…just about a half hour ago in the 5th at Thirsk (North Yorkshire), a horse named LUCKY NUMBERS won and paid $14.80. I kid you not.

• snarkk said, on August 4, 2012 at 11:00 am

Thirsk is in the Yorkshire Dales. Out in the boonies. Amazing how we can get info now on a horse race half a world away in that place. That town and nearby was where a lot of the BBC series “All Creatures Great and Small” was filmed, about the life/times of a Yorkshire veterinarian back in the ’30s and ’40s. Based on the book of the same name by James Herriot, the pen name of Alf Wright, a vet from Thirsk. PBS ran it years ago, you can get it on Netflix. Great show, in an English sort of way. I remember there was an episode on the local racetrack and how one of the vets was “interviewing” to become the circuit’s horse vet. Didn’t go well. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WVGapGR3QU
      Because I loved the books and TV show so much, while in England many moons ago I spent a week in the Dales, including a visit in Thirsk. Market days in the little towns are awesome, all the hill folks come into town to sell some stuff, and do their shopping. The pubs in that area are fantastic. The accents are so thick, you need a first pint to begin to understand them. After three or four, it doesn’t matter…

• eddacker said, on August 4, 2012 at 2:19 pm

Yorkshire is fantastic and Britain lifestyle can be quite nice. If it is your cup of tea.

12. eddacker said, on August 4, 2012 at 9:12 am

How do you find this information?

• Del Mar Dennis said, on August 4, 2012 at 10:02 am

I saw it on TV. TVG to be precise.

13. twinfan1 said, on August 4, 2012 at 9:40 am

One of my restaurants was a conversion from a church. As can be expected, there was a fair amount of controversy, mostly from a group dedicated to keeping everything as it was in 1840.So we had our fair share of nit-picking from the various approval agencies- some more difficult than others-the fire chief was only concerned that his son would have a job in the restaurant…anyway- a huge day came, the cross was being cut down. All went well until the next morning when the numerals 666 had been painted on the building-100’s of times.
    666

• unca_chuck said, on August 4, 2012 at 11:02 am

• unca_chuck said, on August 4, 2012 at 11:02 am

Crank it!!!!

• TedSpe said, on August 4, 2012 at 2:22 pm

Great intro by Barry Clayton. They asked Vincent Price to do it but he demanded too much money

14. TedSpe said, on August 4, 2012 at 9:40 am

Pythagoras is a distant relative of mine on my father’s side. The family always refers to him as old Pyth and Vinegar. And my favorite number is 69

15. Alleykat said, on August 4, 2012 at 10:07 am

Just grateful not to be born on 6/6/66.Sure who ever was still have a certain doubt in their head.Especially when they get haircuts.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on August 4, 2012 at 10:12 am

I was less than a month off. I have a little devil in me.

16. SanDawg said, on August 4, 2012 at 10:35 am

Denny—you got anything for me at Del Mar today?

My favorite number is 42, and I’m bitter that ALL clubs have had to retire the number. Dodgers yes, the rest of us no. I also like 27 (Juan Marichal and Catfish Hunter) and 31. When I think of 31, I think of Benny Barnes, the old backup DB for the Cowboys. Weird, I know. I thought that was a cool sounding name when I was a kid.

17. unca_chuck said, on August 4, 2012 at 10:58 am

44. That was and will be my favorite number.Willie Mac and Tom Rathman. 24, 16, 80, 87.

89 was my number back in the day. Otis Taylor, baby . . .

Weird numbers? How about the fuckin’ A’s at 58-48?

It would tickle me no end to see the team that Wolff/Fisher wanted to kill start drawing crowds and win the west.

18. ewisco said, on August 4, 2012 at 11:19 am

13 and 33. Friday the 13th is always a good day for me.

19. zumiee said, on August 4, 2012 at 11:25 am

796.357 is one of my favorite numbers. That’s the Dewey decimal number for baseball books in public libraries.

• eddacker said, on August 4, 2012 at 11:38 am

what’s a Dewey system?

• zumiee said, on August 4, 2012 at 11:50 am

A numbering system for library books. There are two main systems used in the U.S.- the Dewey decimal system which is used in most public libraries; and the Library of Congress system which is used in most university libraries. What do the British do?

• zumiee said, on August 4, 2012 at 11:52 am

In the Dewey system, the 700s are the arts, entertainment, and sports.

• zumiee said, on August 4, 2012 at 11:59 am

“Melville Louis Kossuth (Melvil) Dewey (December 10, 1851 – December 26, 1931) was an American librarian and educator, inventor of the Dewey Decimal system of library classification.”

• eddacker said, on August 4, 2012 at 12:01 pm

Dewey seems so out of touch with what the kids are learning today, I was being obtuse.
        The public libraries still use it here, but customers rarely see it, as there are the computerised search functions and books are stacked by “sections”. Sections are arranged mostly by Dewey. I have no idea what the unis use, I will find out. I think I remember 100s were research books and 200s were philosophy, can’t remember but I used to use 500s, too.

• zumiee said, on August 4, 2012 at 12:15 pm

Remember the days of having to actually write your name down on a card in the back of the book, and the librarian stamped the date on it, and all that? And the card catalog files?
        Nowadays, I can reserve and renew books from my local library online. I had stopped using the library for years because I would end up with over-due books all the time. But now, renewing online has changed my attitude about that. Because of the internet, I actually use my local library more than I used to.

• eddacker said, on August 4, 2012 at 12:42 pm

of course I remember. I love libraries.
        4 the hours I will be on a train next week
        1 the book I have to read
        and I am actually waiting for the renewal email because after I checked it out with an inter library loan I decided to save it for the trip.

20. eddacker said, on August 4, 2012 at 11:30 am

there are a number of events –
    Olympics are in full swing and most people are in tune and focusing on what they want to spectate. So I will keep this short.

Everyone’s favourite race: 100m, fastest man in the world, heats today to determine the semi finalists. The main races are tomorrow night. Women’s 100m tonight.
    The individual hepthalon for women finish tonight, keep your eyes out for the Ukrainian she has a nice tan for a country that is frozen many months of the year.
    Of course, the big guys are throwing 400lbs over their heads and holding it tonight.
    enjoy.

Those who do not read have no advantages over those who cannot do it.
    Anaxagorus

21. eddacker said, on August 4, 2012 at 11:37 am

It seems the Gmen are not the only team having troubles at the plate.
    81 – Texas, a team you think of as a hitting club had the lowest runs scored in July in the AL.

Texas hasn’t been able to consistently get the clutch hits when needed.
    sound familiar?

22. twinfan1 said, on August 4, 2012 at 11:57 am

So what were the Flap predictions for our record this year? I had 92-70. We are currently on pace for 87-75.

• zumiee said, on August 4, 2012 at 12:04 pm

I don’t think I made a prediction at the beginning of the season. I like that 92-70. And they win the division by 3 games.

23. eddacker said, on August 4, 2012 at 12:02 pm

I can’t remember, but 90-72 looks realistic

24. snarkk said, on August 4, 2012 at 12:18 pm

I had ‘em at 91 Ws. Looks like a stretch right now, especially after the bad home stand…

25. TedSpe said, on August 4, 2012 at 12:21 pm

Okay, 96 is good too

26. zumiee said, on August 4, 2012 at 12:41 pm

Oh how times have changed. When Lefty Gomez got signed by the Yankees, they told him when to report to Spring Training in Florida, and…..get there on your own, kid. No money for a train ticket. Lefty had a hard time scraping together the $120 needed for the cross-country trip. He didn’t have any extra money. A local doctor gave him a job as an office assistant, and Lefty put in a lot of hours to get the money for the trip.

27. ewisco said, on August 4, 2012 at 1:37 pm

i had them at 94. but i do that every year.

28. Del Mar Dennis said, on August 4, 2012 at 1:37 pm

SanDawg, sorry, nothing really got my fancy. Other than Bob’s horse in the 5th (Rolling Fog) that’s 5/2 on the ML and will leave the gate most likely closer to 3/2…however, if you feel like taking a little stab, #8, Deputiformer (10/1 ML) in the 2nd looks to have a chance at a price. Just got claimed from a smaller, but sneaky good barn in Dallas Keen. He claimed the horse in its last for $8,000, and bumps him up two rings on the ladder to $16,000. It’s been a profitable move in the past. In fact, Keen’s tried it ten times this year with three wins and a very tidy ROI of 16.02.

Good luck.

29. eddacker said, on August 4, 2012 at 1:51 pm

the heart of British UK is united and happy as GB has taken 3 golds in the last hour. no spoilers so I won’t say which 3. In the heavy weight weight lifting? see it if you can. super heavies tomorrow.

30. Nipper said, on August 4, 2012 at 1:56 pm

I predicted something but forgot. Bad memory.

31. Del Mar Dennis said, on August 4, 2012 at 2:00 pm

Score 16 runs the night before? Same soup.

Pagan-CF Theriot-2B Cabrera-LF Posey-C Pence-RF Scutaro-3B Pill-1B Arias-SS Bumgarner-P.

• TedSpe said, on August 4, 2012 at 2:18 pm

Wait…I don’t remember Bumgarner last night

32. Alleykat said, on August 4, 2012 at 2:40 pm

Think I had the G’s at 91-71.Of course winning the West.
    Btw…Eddacker,when does the Olympic Tiddlywinks compietion begin?

33. DJLoo said, on August 4, 2012 at 2:43 pm

Still time to get down on Flat Out (#7) with Rosie in the Whitney…

• ewisco said, on August 4, 2012 at 2:55 pm

whole LOT a rosie!

34. DJLoo said, on August 4, 2012 at 2:59 pm

not enough for me….

35. unca_chuck said, on August 4, 2012 at 3:29 pm

42-39-56, you can say she’s got it all . . .

• unca_chuck said, on August 4, 2012 at 3:37 pm

Weighing in at 19 stone . . .

Speaking of numbers . . .

I saw them a bunch around that time, and they put on fantastic shows every time. Angus never stopped moving the entire time. Bon Scott was a LITTLE less energetic.

• TedSpe said, on August 4, 2012 at 4:47 pm

chuck, I think we discussed this a while back but were you at that Day on the Green with AC/DC, Van Halen, Pat Travers, Foreigner and Aerosmith? Show blew me away. Except for Aerosmith. Loved their albums but they were too fucked up to play live

• zumiee said, on August 4, 2012 at 4:52 pm

That would be Day in Hell to me, but hey, we don’t all have to like the same music. (grin)

36. willedav said, on August 4, 2012 at 4:00 pm

Cryptic quote from bochy about not playing crawford and belt vs. rox LHP: “They’re going to play. They’re not going to sit all three games.” Chron article said he then continued, “I have a right to change my mind, too.”

• zumiee said, on August 4, 2012 at 4:15 pm

I’m not sure what positive thing Arias provides as a batter. It seems like a lot of Rowand-esque rollover grounders to the leftside.

• twinfan1 said, on August 4, 2012 at 4:41 pm

Well, he’s hitting .305 BA .343 OBP .722 OPS against LHers
        Crawford is .226 BA .278 OBP .552 OPS against LHers

That’s a rather significant difference.

• zumiee said, on August 4, 2012 at 4:48 pm

I can’t argue those stats; I must have missed a bunch of those Arias hits. I just don’t remember hardly any of them.

37. Del Mar Dennis said, on August 4, 2012 at 4:30 pm

And the Fog comes rolling in by 3 at Dmr. Speaking of which, I don’t know about the rest of you guys,
    but my weather sucks today. Cold and foggy indeed.

• DJLoo said, on August 4, 2012 at 4:36 pm

Hope ya wheeled it…

• Del Mar Dennis said, on August 4, 2012 at 5:11 pm

Loo, the only wheeling I see are the tread marks that are seemingly left across my body each and every weekend. BTW, WTF happened at the Meadowlands today? The top two choices in the Oaks both go on a break around the turn? And what happened to Uncle Pete(r)? I guess he was still busy back at the barn while his nephew had his thumb “Bed-bugged.”

• zumiee said, on August 4, 2012 at 4:49 pm

In the Central Valley that overcast weather today has been wonderful. It was a surprisingly cool day today, and a nice break from the heat.

38. DJLoo said, on August 4, 2012 at 4:42 pm

Does anybody NOT hit well at Coors?

• TedSpe said, on August 4, 2012 at 4:48 pm

Pence?

39. Del Mar Dennis said, on August 4, 2012 at 5:15 pm

FWIW, I like this firster, #5, I’m Wide Awake coming up here in the 7th.
    Almost as much as I liked that Buster homer. Buster!

40. manny said, on August 4, 2012 at 5:15 pm

Damn, he crushed that pitch!!!

41. DJLoo said, on August 4, 2012 at 5:37 pm

Bum’s snot rockets definitely travel farther in the thin air of Colorado…

42. PawlieKokonuts said, on August 4, 2012 at 5:59 pm

then again

43. Macdog said, on August 4, 2012 at 6:05 pm

Crazy numbers from that rundown: 1-5-6-4-5-3-1.

• DJLoo said, on August 4, 2012 at 6:13 pm

and he was safe, I think…

44. Smokey said, on August 4, 2012 at 6:10 pm

Feast!

45. Macdog said, on August 4, 2012 at 6:14 pm

Giants lighting up Francis.

46. twinfan1 said, on August 4, 2012 at 6:14 pm

The rules here are a litle different, Denny. Remember that an 8-run lead in Denver is a save situation.

47. PawlieKokonuts said, on August 4, 2012 at 6:27 pm

Since it is featured here on MLB, I’m watching Bucs at Reds. I guess, because it’s on the flat screen. A treat for me instead of my laptop. Yeah, yeah, I can watch my laptop on the flat screen if I connect the right doodads, but my wife and daughter tend to Occupy Living Room, with little more than grumbling from me. Such is the state of American manhood, my version. I may switch to our game in a short while — sort of interested in this battle of MLB’s two best bullpens.

48. Alleykat said, on August 4, 2012 at 6:33 pm

22 runs so far for the boys.Guess Bochy pre-series clubhouse lashing worked.
    Just like the flight controller in “Top Gun” after the ill advised fly ball,I want “Butts”!

49. PawlieKokonuts said, on August 4, 2012 at 6:41 pm

So Ned Coletti sends down Stephen Fife to make room for Joe Blanton. Hmmm. Let’s see how that turns out. Could Ned have over-maneuvered?

• Alleykat said, on August 4, 2012 at 7:00 pm

One thing ive noitced about Blanton in the past,he pitches better when the weather starts warming up.He still stinks,and lifetime gives up more hits then IP,but he is a 2nd half pitcher,so their should be some concern.But hey it’s the Fucking Dodgers…They will fold like a “Cheap Suit.”

• unca_chuck said, on August 4, 2012 at 7:23 pm

Wow. Fife looked pretty damn good.

50. unca_chuck said, on August 4, 2012 at 7:28 pm

Penny’s sucking ass.

51. unca_chuck said, on August 4, 2012 at 7:31 pm

Scutaro with a sweeeeeet play.

52. unca_chuck said, on August 4, 2012 at 7:39 pm

Yikes. Pagan is living a charmed life.

53. DJLoo said, on August 4, 2012 at 7:40 pm

Nice to see Pagan back from the dead, but WTF was the point of stealing third there??

• snarkk said, on August 4, 2012 at 7:44 pm

At Coors you try to get as many runs as you can, so WTF not try it?…

• DJLoo said, on August 4, 2012 at 7:47 pm

With nobody out it was stupid…

• snarkk said, on August 4, 2012 at 8:06 pm

He made it.
        It was brilliant…

54. snarkk said, on August 4, 2012 at 7:45 pm

The Rocks are friggin unbelievably bad. What the hell happened for them to get this way?…

55. PawlieKokonuts said, on August 4, 2012 at 7:48 pm

Penny is just eating up innings (along with any anything else). Gone Sept. 1.

56. Bozo said, on August 4, 2012 at 7:48 pm

Things are coming up Rosario.

57. willedav said, on August 4, 2012 at 7:52 pm

OK I realize the kid Rosario, who is a C, is a f-u at 3b, but why was he in there in the first place? Tracy took out a guy who didn’t look too bad in roenicke, and then made the double switch. Starting with Belt the giants have hit some rockets off this guy and now the rox are out of a game they had got back into.

58. DJLoo said, on August 4, 2012 at 7:53 pm

The Giants once had a back-up outfielder named Jimmy Rosario. He couldn’t do much…

59. PawlieKokonuts said, on August 4, 2012 at 8:02 pm

I am so done with Hensley.

• snarkk said, on August 4, 2012 at 8:05 pm

I’ll second that. Bochy, his buddy, takes him out with 2 men on and a 7 run lead, and has to bring in Romo.
      That’s confidence for ya’…

60. snarkk said, on August 4, 2012 at 8:07 pm

This Pen is leaking major, major oil. Penny sux. Hensley’s not much better, if at all. Romo’s lost the mojo the last two weeks. Not cool at all…

• PawlieKokonuts said, on August 4, 2012 at 8:09 pm

but it is in Denver….ooops, scene of Barry Zito shutout. Seems so long ago.

61. willedav said, on August 4, 2012 at 8:08 pm

Imagine if the angels or texas played their home games here. You’d have to score 12 every night to beat them, and the games would last 6 hours.
    So much for K and K talking up romo, who gives up a WP and a rocket. What’s followed behind him has made what bum did look pretty good tonite. Vogs too.

62. PawlieKokonuts said, on August 4, 2012 at 8:13 pm

Well, I’ll take 5 insurance runs in the top of the ninth.

63. DJLoo said, on August 4, 2012 at 8:15 pm

Get Hembree up here. Get anyone…

64. Bozo said, on August 4, 2012 at 8:29 pm

Not to start anything but I’m glad we’re carrying 13 pitchers right now. I think we’ve used around 9 in these two games.

• Macdog said, on August 4, 2012 at 8:31 pm

It’s been like this all week.

65. snarkk said, on August 4, 2012 at 8:35 pm

With the Pen shaky, this upcoming series with the Cards is looking ominous. The weather report is low to mid ’90s for all 4 days, with brutal humidity. I’d take a split right now and get outta town…

66. PawlieKokonuts said, on August 4, 2012 at 8:36 pm

killing me
    seal the deal

67. Nipper said, on August 4, 2012 at 8:41 pm

Giants win! Everything is copacetic.

68. snarkk said, on August 4, 2012 at 8:43 pm

Well, they’ve taken the series, as they should. Now, take the sweep tomorrow, and the confidence level should be coming back. Pagan getting his hitting shoes on the last two games is good news…

69. twinfan1 said, on August 4, 2012 at 8:43 pm

I think it’s refreshing to have the pitching to complain about more often.

70. unca_chuck said, on August 4, 2012 at 8:45 pm

Yeah, Pagan getting on is key.

71. SanDawg said, on August 4, 2012 at 8:59 pm

Quick Track Report: Great weather, lots of lovely ladies. Picked the winner in the 4th and 9th and even hit the Quinella in the 9th, which was my first exotic bet of the day. Threw a bit more money than usual at the 10th hoping to make it a real nice day, but came up empty. Still left the track with a little more cash than I walked in with, which is rare. Only downside of the day was when I fairly sure a guy asking me for some tips was hitting on me. I think it was the Oregon-green flip-flops I was wearing. Next time I leave those at home.

72. willedav said, on August 4, 2012 at 9:49 pm

Baseball more than other sports really is a team game, imo. You have to pick each other up—SPs here run out of gas, relievers too. Offense has to keep taking advantage when opps are there, and defense has to avoid kicking or throwing the ball around. Arias had kind of tough night what i saw, balls bouncing off his glove.
    Since rox are bringing up a RHP to start tmw, belt and crawford should be back in there, which should at least help out the defense. Maybe Hector gets a start since it’s a day game.

73. TedSpe said, on August 4, 2012 at 11:37 pm

Sweet.
    Goodnight, lads

74. willedav said, on August 5, 2012 at 5:14 am

new tread coming

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 499 other followers