The Jose Mijares Pick up

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on August 7, 2012

This move surprised me yesterday and after reading Pavlovic’s *post game* notes and the links he provided on the *Kansas City* take it not only surprises me but it doesn’t make sense how or why we were able to simply snap him off the waiver wire for $20,000. Side note: I always LQTM when I see a writer say that a team was trying to “sneak a player through waivers”– like contending teams aren’t watching the waiver wire. I envision a GM like Brian Cashman saying something like this: “Goddammit! I told Marge from accounting to keep her eye on the waiver wire and she was on a smoke break when the Angels were busy trying to sneak Trout passed waivers! MAAARRRRRGEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!”

But in this case, it does seem strange that at a time when almost any contending team would gladly accept near-free left handed specialist help in the bullpen. And yet, not only were the Royals not able to trade him before the deadline, but not a single AL team even wanted him for free. And we don’t know how many NL teams passed on him before the Giants finally hit the “add player” button but it had to be most of them.

So what is wrong with a guy with a 2.56 ERA and nearly a strikeout per inning?

For starters, he’s not going to win any bodybuilding competitions:

He’s listed at 6 feet/230lbs. Unlikely. This is a pic of him last year in Minnesota and while it’s hard to get a good idea with an untucked shirt of just how bulbis this guy is, my guess is that if he wears Benjie’s old number then Murph could easily just dust off an old *big titty* jersey and give him that.

But being fat doesn’t preclude you from being good at baseball. It could be a sign though which we’ll look at later……

Looking at his season game-2-game, he didn’t allow an earned run in 19 straight appearances from May 30th to July 18th. That stat can sometimes be a little misleading, especially for a lefty specialist. But he did pitch at least a full inning in 8 of those 19 appearances.

Looking at his splits this year, not too many stand out. His kryptonite is the #2 and #7 spots in the order (batting .368 and .353 respectively). The flip side is that the #4 and #5 guys are cake for him (and in his case it looks like *2 slices*). Those spots are batting only .133 and .125.

Looking at his *clutch stats* (and I know the samples are small) he seems to have the most trouble when the game is tied, batters are hitting .417 off him. In fact, his other 2 *clutch stats* (2 outs, RISP .300 and late&close .344) are pretty bad, too. He’s much better when the team is behind or as the score differential increases. And frankly, all of that sounds pretty bad. You want a pitcher who is good when it’s tied, when there are runners on and/or when the team is ahead and it’s close…….

Kansas City is in sort of a *reshuffling* mode right now. I wouldn’t call what they’re doing right now as *rebuilding* because the news coming out of KC is that they have been ditching some players with bad attitudes. Yuniesky Betancourt got designated last week for what was described as a bad attitude. They also fired their first base coach for some reason. After Mijares was waived, here’s what the Kansas City Star article said about those moves:

“…..All three moves appear part of a unified effort by the club to refocus its on-field efforts, although manager Ned Yost chose not to elaborate further on his Sunday statements regarding a need to reverse the organization’s “losing culture.”

Even so, multiple players confirmed a brief closed-door meeting Monday before batting practice centered on the need to place team success over individual achievement.

Club officials say the decision on Mijares, like that on Betancourt, resulted primarily from priorities attached to a long-term organizational viewpoint….”

So when you read between the lines on that newspaper blurb, it’s not to much of a stretch to think that the Royals thought Mijares had an attitude problem. Part of attitude is keeping yourself in shape, by the way. Just something to consider. And the *individual accomplishment* note is something he might have a problem with, too……..

And the fact that every team in the AL passed on the guy (and they had first shot at him over the NL) makes me wonder if there was a *bad word* on the street about this dude……

Another theory is that the Royals didn’t want to have to pay Mijares the suspected 2.5 million he would earn in arbitration next season……

But most of what I’m saying  is conjecture. He wasn’t pitching very well prior to the break and that could be the reason the Royals couldn’t deal him (and they said they had tried to).

Here are some optimistic reasons to embrace him:

1) lots of fat baseball players are successful

2) The Royals make tons of bad personnel decisions

3) It’s possible that Mijares, Betancourt and the dastardly first base coach are nothing more than fall-guys to take the blame for yet another losing season in KC.

Yesterday, I said I thought it was a good move to pick him up and I’m a little less enthusiastic this morning. Also, he’s not a long guy and he’s not going to take any appearances away from Lopez or Affeldt. According to an article in the Merc, he’ll pick up some appearances in place of Affeldt who is going to see more save opportunities as Bochy has decided to stupidly go with the bullpen-by-committee move……

My personal theory as to why the Royals bailed on him: They had to call up “Francisley Bueno.” –one of the great names in all of baseball. That’s right up there with “Fausto Carmona”, the guy who got busted for lying about who he really was to make himself younger. I never really got that, if you were gonna try to pull that move off wouldn’t you try to lay low, fly under-the-radar and just roll with a hum-drum common name like *Juan Gomez*?

Anyway, I digress. Jose Mijares, for whatever the reasons you are here, Flavor Nation welcomes you with 2 flaps up. Take it easy on the clubhouse spread, you don’t want to anger The Panda…….

About these ads

1. unca_chuck said, on August 7, 2012 at 8:34 am

Francisley Bueno? Frankly Good? Gotta love that name. . . .

If he craters as a ball player, he should sell hotdogs.

• Flavor said, on August 7, 2012 at 8:43 am

I always thought that if Fausto Carmona craters as a ball player he could become a magician…..”The Great Fausto will now dazzle you with…”

2. TedSpe said, on August 7, 2012 at 8:36 am

heh heh-heh heh
    Flav said “big titty”
    And a shoutout for Juan Gomez!
    And really, fucking MAAARRRRRGEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Flavor said, on August 7, 2012 at 8:42 am

I was going for a “Star Trek 2/The Wrath of Kahn” end-of-movie moment– as a movie guy, did you get it or was that too obscure?

3. willedav said, on August 7, 2012 at 8:47 am

According to Henry, bochy is making Affeldt part of closer by committee. The high avg 2 out risp stat would be a red flag for a loogy type of guy, but we’ll see. I think Mijares only gets in there at garbage time.
    Watching the Angels and weaver and trout thrash the A’s, I think I’d be even more excited to get a 2002 payback than a 1962 one–esp since it would mean Yanks would have the same seat I would, in front of TV.
    speaking of the evil empire, the Giants LU last night had two guys at .264 in Theriot and Pence and two guys hitting below that , Belt at .244 and Crawford at .229.
    File this under hard to believe but the Yanks had no less than 6 guys out of 9 with worse BA than Theriot:
    Granderson ,243 0-5 with 3 Ks vz. Verlander
    Tex .253 0-4 with 3 Ks vs. verlander
    Ibanez .243
    Swishcakes .255
    Ichiro .259 and 0-4 with 3 Ks vs. verlander
    R Martin .193

4. willedav said, on August 7, 2012 at 8:53 am

“He is much better when the team is behind…” lol. Having spent last two seasons with twins and royals that’s something he’s probably used to.

5. Bozo said, on August 7, 2012 at 8:56 am

Hey welcome back Mr. Flavor.

Am I forgetting something about arbitration? Doesn’t a team have to offer it? Why would a team want to continue paying the guy to be on another team unless you thought he really sucked. I mean if you can’t trade the guy, pull him off of waivers, let him sit in the bullpen for the last two months and not offer arb.
    What am I missing?

• Flavor said, on August 7, 2012 at 9:50 am

I don’t think you’re missing anything. But I’m not super down with the details of arbitration. What you’re saying makes sense, though.
      It actually bolsters the case that the team ditched him because he has a bad attitude……

6. Nipper said, on August 7, 2012 at 9:05 am

Perhaps the Giants plan to work him into something good. He seems to be specialist. Bochy knows how to work with pitchers and gives the Giants another tool to use in tight games.

• unca_chuck said, on August 7, 2012 at 9:08 am

That would be Rags and Gardner . . .

• Nipper said, on August 7, 2012 at 2:26 pm

They all work together.

7. Macdog said, on August 7, 2012 at 9:15 am

The important stat for Mijares is probably vs. lefties: .214 (18-84) with 5 walks, 6 doubles and 1 HR. On that count, he’s very close to Lopez: .213 (13-61) with 6 walks, 5 doubles and 1 HR. And don’t discount the “He’s much better when the team is behind” aspect. This seems to be a problem of late, with the ‘pen letting a game spiral out of control instead of keeping the Giants within reach, as we saw last night.

• twinfan1 said, on August 7, 2012 at 9:55 am

I saw a lot of Mijares in 2009 when they were not doormats- they won their division 1n 2009. . As Mac says- the important stat is his success against lefties- .212 BAA career, .214 this year. he’s been every bit as good as Lopez as a loogie. But almost all of these lefty specialists are somewhat erratice- it doesn’t take much to send that ERA soaring. Affeldt is going to pitch the ninth inning a lot, there will be plenty of of opportunities for Jose, basically filling Affeldt’s old role. Good pick up, IMO.

• Flavor said, on August 7, 2012 at 10:03 am

yeah, I’m still for it. Yesterday I figured *why not?* and today I was just trying to figure out how he fell into our lap when, by all appearances, he’s got pretty good numbers. I mean, you can’t go 19 straight appearances without allowing an earned run by accident……..

8. chipower9 said, on August 7, 2012 at 9:22 am

LMAO when I saw the “Big Titty” reference. So, in relation to your list of reasons of why to embrace him, I would say they can easily recycle that Number 1 jersey (you mentioned this, Craig) worn by Bengie.

Also, in relation to your question on how/when he might be used. Here is an article by Alex Pavlovic of the Merc with his spin on how he will be used:

9. snarkk said, on August 7, 2012 at 10:09 am

NIce analysis BF. To me, it’s a WTF Not? pick up, as I said yesterday…

10. snarkk said, on August 7, 2012 at 10:16 am

If Zito makes it tonight through the 3rd inning without being eviscerated, in the baseball sense, it will be a miracle.
    So, excuse me, but I’m going out to light some votive candles for him. Then, to cover the bases and his sensibilities, I’ll go hang some Tibetan prayer flags…

• Flavor said, on August 7, 2012 at 10:33 am

Zeets has had 21 starts this year and 14 of them have been good (I don’t use the *quality start* thing. If he won the game or kept them in it to win it that’s a good start to me). Just giving you the facts, and it might help you set your odds on whether he makes it through 3…….

11. Alleykat said, on August 7, 2012 at 10:22 am

Just wondering…Do the Giants have to add 2nd buffet spread table just for Panda,Jose,and Penny?

• snarkk said, on August 7, 2012 at 10:25 am

How about a second nutritionist and “food minder”?…

12. Flavor said, on August 7, 2012 at 10:40 am

By the way, on The Hanley Watch: He’s hitting .217 with the Dodgers so far. Now, as some of you have pointed out, that IS an improvement on what they had before he came. Uribe is hitting .193 this year. And I know he beat the Giants in the first game he played against us with when he beat Romo’s fat-cheese spinner. But as I said at the time, that dude is not someone who scares me, at all, at this point in his career— a career that has been on a near-2 full year slide into mediocrity…….

• twinfan1 said, on August 7, 2012 at 10:53 am

Well, he’s driving in runs, and just had a a walk off hit. Plus, his OBP and OPS are a huge improvement over Uribe. He doesn’t “scare” me, but the Dodgers helped themselves.

13. unca_chuck said, on August 7, 2012 at 10:53 am

Also, I think the Dodgers have 2 or 3 east coast trips left. The Giants have Stl and one midwest trip (Hou, Chi) at the end of Aug, and the rest is western div trips. Certainly that should help.

Just got to get 2 of these remaining 3 in StL.

14. twinfan1 said, on August 7, 2012 at 11:00 am

Maybe I’ll check in tonight.

15. unca_chuck said, on August 7, 2012 at 11:11 am

The Dogs have a 10 game roadie (Miami, Pitt, and Atl starting Friday. Then they go to Wash and Cincy (and SD) in the middle of Sept. That’s a couple of big east coast swings.

16. SanDawg said, on August 7, 2012 at 12:06 pm

Obviously the guy has some flaws, but I can’t believe Mijares fell in our lap. Not that I’d ever heard of him 36 hours ago, but from what I’m reading I’m totally fine with making the guy one of our bullpen stableboys and shipping out Kontos or DJ Loux.
    Hopefully, Hanley stays relatively quiet, but I’m still worried about that guy being in their line-up.
    Flav—when you coming down to Del Mar? I went last week and we’re going again Friday. The Offspring are playing a show after the last race. Its gonna be epic.

• Flavor said, on August 7, 2012 at 12:15 pm

I’ve been to MANY of those Friday night races/post race concerts, my man. Totally fun and one of the densest populations of hot chicks I’ve ever been around. But if the Offspring are playing it then either they’ve fallen off the map or that gig has really exploded since I was last down there 4 or 5 years ago…….
      DM probably isn’t happening this year. I spent a week longer than I had intended in Sun Valley. But its not off the table at all, I’ll let you know. Once I get settled back here (we got home last night) I’ll figger out the end of August.
      And don’t let Kontos go, he’s quickly rising up the ranks of our bullpen staff. DJ Loux can go for “The Big Mij”….

• sandog said, on August 7, 2012 at 12:33 pm

You’re exactly right…the concert deal has exploded in the past couple of years. At one time they had the concerts in the infield in a smallish area. Now they have a full-on Cow Palace-worthy stage set up west of the grandstand with a huge area for people to stand and set up chairs in back. Last week when I was there Cake was the band and I couldn’t get over how many people were streaming into the concert area. I actually like Cake quite a bit, but we were burnt from spending all day there, so we cut out early.

17. eddacker said, on August 7, 2012 at 1:00 pm

Olympics Day 11
    Lots of balling today and tomorrow: basketball, handball, volleyball and ping pong. beach vb, women’s medals matches tomorrow. today is the 10,000meter open water swim. taekwondo, women’s wrestling and BMX for the side bets.
    Don’t miss the crowning of the world’s strongest men today and did I mention beach volleyball? it is only the men today.

• sandog said, on August 7, 2012 at 1:20 pm

Am I the only one who hopes the women’s beach volleyball team loses? And it’s not just the “Go Dodgers!” shout-outs Misty keeps making after matches. Well, maybe it’s mostly that, but they just kind of bug me for some reason.

• Alleykat said, on August 7, 2012 at 1:51 pm

Yeah couldn’t agree more SanDawg,Use to really like that team of May and Walsh,now it’s BS when May keeps yapping up the Freakin Dodgers,especially since her husband Matt plays for them and he Sucks.Why that guy still has a job in the show is beyond me.He makes Whitey look like Buster ferchrissakes.May is the only talented one in their marriage.And Fuck the Dodgers!!!!! and May-Treanor to keep letting her have her babbling spiel after ever match.

• unca_chuck said, on August 7, 2012 at 2:16 pm

I’m sure most of these athletes have mowed their way throught their 15 condoms each, so hell yeah, there’s been a lot of balling.

• Nipper said, on August 7, 2012 at 2:29 pm

Chuck’s mind is right on course.

18. unca_chuck said, on August 7, 2012 at 2:17 pm

Am i the only one that would love to watch the US men’s b-ball team crash and burn?

• Nipper said, on August 7, 2012 at 2:28 pm

Yup!

• PawlieKokonuts said, on August 7, 2012 at 4:26 pm

• snarkk said, on August 7, 2012 at 5:20 pm

I don’t give an S about the NBA in general, so the Olympics basketball is even lower on my radar, if that’s possible…

19. unca_chuck said, on August 7, 2012 at 2:38 pm

Pagan cf
    Scutaro 2b
    Cabrera lf
    Posey c
    Pence rf
    Belt 1b
    Crawford ss
    Arias 3b

*gulp*

Zito p

20. zumiee said, on August 7, 2012 at 2:40 pm

I thought it was kind of funny that May-Treanor did a long spiel on winning it for the troops, when no doubt the troops were ogling the Italian team far more.

21. unca_chuck said, on August 7, 2012 at 2:41 pm

And, in more news:

Sandoval says hammy is 90 percent. Intense workout today.

• Alleykat said, on August 7, 2012 at 2:51 pm

Sure it wasn’t a “Hammy Sandwich” intense workout Chuck?

22. zumiee said, on August 7, 2012 at 2:43 pm

This week is all about trying to tread water in the standings. The Rockies did a cool thing for the Giants last night. Maybe something cool happens again tonight.

23. Del Mar Dennis said, on August 7, 2012 at 2:45 pm

And, in more more news:

Chuck says his strikeout rate at the whorehouse is still at least 90 percent. Intense “personal” workout today.

• unca_chuck said, on August 7, 2012 at 2:49 pm

That still kicks your ass . . .

• unca_chuck said, on August 7, 2012 at 2:49 pm

You haven’t seen wood since the 40′ tree came down.

24. MephistoDawg said, on August 7, 2012 at 3:58 pm

I’m actually quite the hater when it comes to the Olympics. I’d LOVE To see our men’s hoop team to lose, I really want to see Misty/Kerry lose, I was rooting hard for Lochte in any head to head races vs Phelps—-which is weird as I usually fully support anyone who smokes weed on a regular basis.
    The chick who DID impress me was the US gymnast who was supposed to be a lead pipe Del Mar Dennis lock for the gold in the vault? and then took a bad fall and ended up with silver. I loved her quote about “you don’t deserve the gold when you fall on your butt,” and I also like how she seems to really support her teammates while they are competing. Speaking of which, did you see the Russian gymnast and her coach yucking it up while Gaby was in the middle of blowing her bars routine to hand her the gold? Al Trautwig pointed it out and didn’t seem to pleased himself. Al Trautwig kicks ass by the way.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on August 7, 2012 at 4:01 pm

I’m a similar type of Olympian contrarian in a lot of ways, to my family’s annoyance. My neighbor and her kid flew to London to see the U.S. hoops team. Say what? BORING. Yeah, the Russian was a bioche. And what’s with the Chinese team chirping like finches during the uneven bars? #annoying

• sandog said, on August 7, 2012 at 4:06 pm

#pawliespinsgold24/7

25. PawlieKokonuts said, on August 7, 2012 at 3:58 pm

This was fun to read. Thanks.

Don’t you think Marco “Not Polo” Scutaro is turning out to be a big pickup, as Cody Ross was? The Anti-Garko. Actually, as I noted in 2010, it was strange how Bruce Bochy virtually ignored Cody Ross until the post-season, once Jose “Troubled” Guillen was gone. I wonder if Bochy would’ve stuck w/ Guillen except for certain legal issues. Bless us!

Think I’ll mosey down to Alliance Bank Stadium. Buffalo (Mets) at Syracuse (Nationals). It’s a pleasant evening.

Online Etymology Dictionary:
    mosey: 1829, American English slang, of unknown origin, perhaps related to British dial. mose about “go around in a dull, stupid way.” Or perhaps from Sp. vamos (see vamoose). Related: Moseyed; moseying.

26. Flavor said, on August 7, 2012 at 4:08 pm

SanDiggity— I missed most of those Olympic moments. I fuckin’ hate watching any sporting event where I already know the outcome. And despite plastering “spoiler alert” on the stories, it’s pretty easy to see what went down just from the pic they show. So, it’s either ignore the Internet all day or ignore the Olympics. I’ve chosen the latter.
    I did catch the girls team gymnastics and a few of the swimming events. In my opinion there are too many swimming events, lol. But watching the girls rock the gym floor was fun.

27. PawlieKokonuts said, on August 7, 2012 at 4:17 pm

#Sandogthanx Speaking of dogs: Classic New Yorker cartoon of a few years ago: Two dogs sniffing each other’s asses. Caption something like: “We should find another way to greet each other.” Hahahahahahahaha.

#Paigeroxmyrox [that's for Magnus]

Well, I’m late for the game, but that’s okay.

p.s. Send my book to The New Yorker’s book reviewer. It’s a long shot, but even a condescending bad review would boost sales.

28. PawlieKokonuts said, on August 7, 2012 at 4:19 pm

I thought of this for a thread tomorrow, but probably won’t: What about the spat in Texas over Roy Oswalt’s refusing to go more than 3 innings in the pen? Maybe he read my comments about cycling three innings for every pitcher for every game, which Jim Tracy is almost doing already. He refused!

• Flavor said, on August 7, 2012 at 4:37 pm

it’s a great story. I’d love to know the convo’s between Oswalt and Wash behind closed doors. Wash is supposed to be this super approachable dude but things must not have gotten *talked out* enough if Oswalt is refusing to pitch and Wash is disclosing that to the media……

29. Del Mar Dennis said, on August 7, 2012 at 5:15 pm

Bonds hit #756 on this date 5 years ago. Anyone give a shit?

30. Bozo said, on August 7, 2012 at 5:27 pm

GONE!

31. DJLoo said, on August 7, 2012 at 5:29 pm

Buster is suddenly a legit MVP candidate…

• Flavor said, on August 7, 2012 at 5:32 pm

I said that a few days ago, my man. With Buster hitting almost .500 since the break, why in the world would you ever pitch to him with a base open? He’s reaching Bonds-territory in terms of fear (at least for getting a hit).

• snarkk said, on August 7, 2012 at 5:39 pm

All the more reason, as he’s showing the past month, that he’ll be moved out of the C position full time at some point in the NTD future. If he can hit 20 bombs being catcher 70% of the time, which it looks like he will at least this season, he can hit 30+ not being catcher at all…

32. ewisco said, on August 7, 2012 at 5:39 pm

Get zito another run and this could be an auto win!

33. snarkk said, on August 7, 2012 at 5:46 pm

I’ll give Zito this, and I have before, he’s one of the best bunters on the squad. Clearly the best bunter of the staff, which is weird, since he was in the AL. He’s better at bunting than most of the position players that should be able to bunt…

34. DJLoo said, on August 7, 2012 at 5:47 pm

I’ve only gotten the Cardinal feed the past 2 nights. Have K & K started the Woody Homo-fest yet?

• Flavor said, on August 7, 2012 at 6:32 pm

no, but I just got a partial from reading this? What could that mean? :) :) :)

35. ewisco said, on August 7, 2012 at 5:48 pm

That was a BIG dp. Bummer

36. Bozo said, on August 7, 2012 at 6:01 pm

I see Lynn is starting to load the spit on the ball. Dude was hawking up some huge hairballs in his hand before pitching that inning.

37. ewisco said, on August 7, 2012 at 6:03 pm

Dennis, what’s the current line on a BZ shutout? Even with BP help.

• ewisco said, on August 7, 2012 at 6:05 pm

Never mind

38. snarkk said, on August 7, 2012 at 6:14 pm

Allen Craig, drafted by Cards in 2006 in the 8th round out of Cal. 2012 OPS now .905 with 15 bombs in 269 ABs. 11 HRs and .917 OPS in 200 ABs last year after some time in the minors earlier in the season. How do the Giants continually miss on drafting guys like this?…

• Bozo said, on August 7, 2012 at 6:30 pm

Well, we did pick up Timmy in the first round and they picked up RHP Adam Ottavino (now with the Rockies) and RHP Chris Perez (now with Cleveland) they also picked up 1B Mark Hamilton in the second round. I guess no team has a perfect draft.

39. ewisco said, on August 7, 2012 at 6:15 pm

If BZ is such a great bunter, suicide?

40. unca_chuck said, on August 7, 2012 at 6:16 pm

Beats a strikeout

41. unca_chuck said, on August 7, 2012 at 6:17 pm

Arias is getting real old at the plate.

42. unca_chuck said, on August 7, 2012 at 6:18 pm

Shit…………………………………….

43. unca_chuck said, on August 7, 2012 at 6:19 pm

Leaving guys on base.

44. snarkk said, on August 7, 2012 at 6:19 pm

GD Giants can rarely get the killer hit against good teams. Not good…

45. Flavor said, on August 7, 2012 at 6:34 pm

I haven’t caught too many games in the last 10 days and I haven’t checked the Arias box scores yet. Has it looked ugly or been ugly?

• twinfan1 said, on August 7, 2012 at 8:36 pm

Neither. Like most, he’s had trouble with RISP, but overall he’s hit well.

46. Bozo said, on August 7, 2012 at 6:49 pm

The Cards are all grabbing bats in the dugout. Might be time to hand this over to the bullpen.

47. DJLoo said, on August 7, 2012 at 7:12 pm

Belt would’ve handled the one hop throw if he hadn’t done that unnecessary hot dog backhand snatch move…

48. Macdog said, on August 7, 2012 at 7:20 pm

At least we won’t have to worry about Buster running into an out.

49. Bozo said, on August 7, 2012 at 7:20 pm

Safe at second and questionable at third (IMO).

• Bozo said, on August 7, 2012 at 7:21 pm

I mean Pagan and Melky.

50. snarkk said, on August 7, 2012 at 7:22 pm

WTF kind of baserunning is that? Did somebody miss a sign? Scutaro should not be trying to steal with Melky up and nobody out and Molina catching. That’s a head scratcher. Why is Melky then giving up a sure double with Posey coming up for an at risk triple try? Dumb dumb dumb all around…

51. Flavor said, on August 7, 2012 at 7:29 pm

Bottom of the 7th, 2 out, no runners on and he leaves with a 4-2 lead on the road against a tough appointment? In Big Flavor’s *quality start* book that qualifies as another one. He’s got 15 out of 22 this year. For a #5, that’s fucking awesome…..

• snarkk said, on August 7, 2012 at 7:32 pm

Hat’s off to the Zitman.
      Hensley, I don’t see the point of what he’s offering this squad…

52. unca_chuck said, on August 7, 2012 at 7:31 pm

Fuck Hensley.

• snarkk said, on August 7, 2012 at 7:34 pm

Dang, that was close. Hensley is the weakest link in the Pen right now, among several.
      Let’s get at least another run here…

• twinfan1 said, on August 7, 2012 at 8:33 pm

Hensley was fine tonight. It wasn’t close, it was a can opf corn.

53. DJLoo said, on August 7, 2012 at 7:32 pm

If the Giant playoff roster had to be made today, all 5 starters would be on it. One or even 2 would be used out of the pen…

54. unca_chuck said, on August 7, 2012 at 7:32 pm

These relievers are getting old.

• twinfan1 said, on August 7, 2012 at 8:43 pm

yeah, they were awful toninight.

55. unca_chuck said, on August 7, 2012 at 7:34 pm

Yikes. Why did they pull Zits? I missed the lead-up to that last BA.

• snarkk said, on August 7, 2012 at 7:35 pm

Bochy didn’t want him to pitch to Craig again after 2 HRs…

56. DJLoo said, on August 7, 2012 at 7:34 pm

Pence looks like he started playing the outfield in mid-July…

57. Bozo said, on August 7, 2012 at 7:36 pm

Fausto Hensley, ”The Great Fausto will now dazzle you with…”

58. snarkk said, on August 7, 2012 at 7:40 pm

Love the bunt for hit by Craw…

59. DJLoo said, on August 7, 2012 at 7:48 pm

No point in calling Romo a “set-up man” when there’s no closer. Does he pitch the 9th, too?

• Flavor said, on August 7, 2012 at 8:01 pm

setting it up for yourself would be way too egocentric. Maybe we need to name our closer “The Great –insert name– is entering the game!!!!!!”. He could run in wearing a cape and shit. It could be a motivating thing to hear that as your lead-in as opposed to some gay-ass song…….

60. Smokey said, on August 7, 2012 at 7:58 pm

Romo is best kept to under 20 pitches.

61. DJLoo said, on August 7, 2012 at 7:59 pm

I almost forgot Blanco was on the team…

62. Nipper said, on August 7, 2012 at 8:02 pm

Start sweating it’s the last of the 9th!

• Nipper said, on August 7, 2012 at 8:05 pm

Double play!

• Nipper said, on August 7, 2012 at 8:07 pm

Giants Win! Giants Win!

63. DJLoo said, on August 7, 2012 at 8:06 pm

Affeldt re-capturing his DP magic of 2009…

64. DJLoo said, on August 7, 2012 at 8:08 pm

One for The Committee!

65. Bozo said, on August 7, 2012 at 8:08 pm

Over.

66. DJLoo said, on August 7, 2012 at 8:09 pm

Glad we didn’t have to re-live this nightmare:

• PawlieKokonuts said, on August 7, 2012 at 8:16 pm

Wow. Where do you come up with this? I fortunately blocked it out. But memory is so idiosyncratic. I recall a game, a Monday night, i think, in the Seventies when we blew a big lead to the Cardinals. Got nasty, shit-faced over that one.

• Bozo said, on August 7, 2012 at 8:21 pm

I really like Tyler Walker’s line, 1/3 of an inning, four earned runs and gets a Hold.

67. ewisco said, on August 7, 2012 at 8:11 pm

another nice road outing for the resurgent BZ. Back on pace for my 15 wins. fuck it, get ‘em tomorrow as well.

68. PawlieKokonuts said, on August 7, 2012 at 8:12 pm

How do you spell “relief”? R-O-M-O-A-F-F-E-L-D-T. For tonight.

69. snarkk said, on August 7, 2012 at 8:12 pm

HUUUUUGe win.
    Guarantees a winning roadie.
    I’m going to keep ripping Zits, so BF can back him up after he pitches well… ;)
    Meanwhile, Affeldt looked good, but he throws so many wild ass pitches in the dirt, I don’t know if he can be a closer with men on much, especially with only a one run lead. Two runs, well, maybe…

• PawlieKokonuts said, on August 7, 2012 at 8:18 pm

Affeldt should be nicknamed Cuke, for cucumber, as in, cool as….

70. PawlieKokonuts said, on August 7, 2012 at 8:36 pm

The Rays DFAed Brooks Conrad. We should sign him to one of those one-day contracts, in gratitude for services rendered.

71. unca_chuck said, on August 7, 2012 at 8:42 pm

No on Affeldt. Righties tear him a new one. Or at least hit pretty well off him. (.253)

72. ewisco said, on August 7, 2012 at 9:02 pm

‘night lads.

73. SanDawg said, on August 7, 2012 at 9:10 pm

Just got home and wasn’t able to listen or watch, but beating that line-up with Zits on the mound after Cain got lit up is like getting your money for nothin’ and your chicks for free. Major props to Barry for continuing a pretty darn solid season.

74. willedav said, on August 7, 2012 at 9:22 pm

Last night blogger on cbs site suggested tracy might have a hard on for LA. I don’t like their plan for the SPs, but all last weekend no one could make it out of the 4th inning without being behind or throwing a 70 pitches. If your SP sucks and the guys behind him aren’t much better, I don’t care what the plan is, it’s doomed unless you can really rake. Without healthy Tulo in the middle of the LU, they’re looking up at the Pads. But tracy has them battling LA.

75. unca_chuck said, on August 7, 2012 at 10:10 pm

Crazy. LA getting shut out at home by the Rox? Again? I don’t recall why he was canned in LA, but Tracy did a decent enough job there. He got ‘em to the playoffs anyway.

76. Macdog said, on August 7, 2012 at 10:42 pm

Victorino grounds out for the final out as the Rox do it again. This time, Tracy the Magnificent uses 5 pitchers to hold the Bums to 1 run and 4 hits while overcoming 6 walks. BTW, does it seem like the Dodgers play the longest games in the NL? They almost always go well over 3 hours.

What a game by Zito, Every time you’re ready to write the guy off . . . it makes me wonder how much money gamblers have lost trying to figure out his starts.

77. TedSpe said, on August 7, 2012 at 10:51 pm

f u c k i n g p o s e y
    REVRET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 457 other followers