Meet Me in St Louis, Loo(ie)

Posted in Uncategorized by unca_chuck on August 9, 2012

Despite the resurgence of the Giants offense after the drought of the homestand, and the epic stomping of the hated Cardinals (I still hate Jose Okendo, Ozzie Smith, Whitey Herzog, Darrell fucking Porter, and Tony LaRussa), I’m going off on another tangent. Someone mentioned this a while ago, so what the hell?  I mean really, got to be something besides baseball 24/7. I’m a little curious (not really, but hey it sounds good) as to what you guys and gals (Ferrethead? Melkmaids? Come out come out wherever you are!) do when you ain’t watching/going to baseball games and immersing yourselves in everything Giants? Some of you guys apparently work out as I hear peripheral shit about that. Me? I haven’t trained hard for anything since football and track in high school. And that was over 30 years ago. But I do do stuff like hiking mtn biking golf camping tennis skiing and the occasional body surfing and boogie boarding trips to the beach. But I do more than my share of 16 oz curls . . .

I bring this up, because last weekend, my wife, son, and I went whitewater rafting on the middle fork of the American River. We’ve been up here about 10 years, and I’ve been meaning to do that for a long time, so we finally did it. It’s about a 20 mile paddle down the river (6 hours), and the ride is pretty crazy. Class III stuff, some Class IV, and a little Class V rapids. There’s one spot on the river where, in the 1880s, miners blew a 50′ tunnel into a giant rock wall to divert 1/2 a mile of the river that was an oxbow. By doing that, they got about $6 millon of gold out of that dry riverbed. Little did they know that what they ended up doing was to create the longest man-made Class V rapids in the world. I (and the guy behind me) got thrown out of the boat on one of the nastier sections. As I got back in the boat, the boat behind us went nose-first into a hole, and all 7 people were catapulted into the river. They went shooting by at about 30 MPH in a fast section of the river. We were able to snag one of them as they flew by, and all were fine minus some scrapes and bruises. People were flying out of rafts all day. Cool shit.

Tomorrow, my son and I are off to Haven Lake up near Sierraville off of Highway 49. It’s a quiet little lake among a bunch of lakes out there at about 7500′ near the Sierra Buttes. We’re going to do a little fishing, a little dirt-biking, a little 4 wheeling, and a lot of just hanging out. He starts his sophomore year in a week, so this is the last summer weekend of fun. Plus I need to teach him how to drive, and what better place is there to do it than out in the middle of nowhere?

So, what do you folks do for thrills? Sure, I used to be an adrenaline junkie, and I still get myself into stupid situations that I should know better about (mainly skiing and dirtbiking), but don’t. Shit, when I was a kid, I ended up in the emergency room 7 times for various cracks, breaks, and stiches. One of our greatest inventions when I was a kid was to take my sisters  rollerskates and attach them to a piece of plywood. I don’t even know if skateboards were invented yet, but we’d have 4 skates on a 2′ x 4′ piece of plywood. The damn things were fast as hell. The best one was the Turtle. It was a square piece of plywood that a plastic (green of course) garbage can top would fit onto. We lived on a nice hill, so the rest was obvious. After a fast run down the sidewalk, I smashed my face on a rock and then flew into a tree. That one was 12 stiches on my eyelid and 8 on my forehead. My brother thought it was the coolest thing he’d ever seen. I looked like an axe murder victim. By that point, my mom was getting used to the carnage. And the trips to the emergency room . . .

About these ads

1. Nipper said, on August 9, 2012 at 8:23 am

BLEEP!

2. unca_chuck said, on August 9, 2012 at 8:25 am

I will say, though, the seemingly under-the-radar acquisition of Marco Scutaro is paying off in a big way. Say nothing for Sabes in that he’s nailed some key guys lately. The jury’s still out on Pence, and I’m thrilled we didn’t give up Brown, but he looks like he’s getting his stroke back. With he and Panda hitting (when he conmes back), this offense will be pretty tough . . .

• Nipper said, on August 9, 2012 at 8:54 am

I knew Scutaro was going to help. Guys like him are always underrated.

• snarkk said, on August 9, 2012 at 9:41 am

I knew that and said that when he was a FA over two years ago, but we had Rent at SS in the middle of a two year insane deal that worked out because of the post season 2010. But, Scutaro sure could have helped last year…

3. SanDawg said, on August 9, 2012 at 8:26 am

Great stuff. The rafting sounds awesome. I’d love to do that with my boys. You also mention body-surfing, another of my favorites. As some of you know, I’m into golf. I don’t play that well, but I do enjoy getting out on the course. A perfect summer day for me involves golf in the morning and then hit the waves with the kids in the afternoon and then listen to the Giants game that night.
    Really funny that you took to blog in this direction. I couldn’t sleep well last night and ended up typing up a little bit about a round of golf I played yesterday—thinking I’d throw it up here during some downtime. I’ll post it next.

4. sandog said, on August 9, 2012 at 8:31 am

I showed up by myself at a local muni yesterday called Mission Trails. I ended up getting paired up with Elmer and his grandson William. Just as we were about to tee off, another guy named Willy was sent out to join me in my cart. First off, seeing a kid and his granddad playing a round of golf together is pretty damn cool. Neither of my grandpas played golf and for that matter they both passed away before I was born, so maybe seeing something like that strikes me a bit harder than most. William just graduated from HS and will be a freshman at St. Mary’s next month. Elmer is 79 and retired in the 90′s after serving as a PE teacher at the high school near the course. (Patrick Henry is the name of the school—alma mater of Ricky Williams, Aaron Harang, Eric Karros among others) Elmer can’t hear for shit, so he pretty much keeps to himself, but at some point he and Willy figure out they know each other from Patrick Henry. Willy is 52 and graduated from there in 1972. Elmer coached several sports at Henry. As some of you know, when you play 18 holes on a big course, you’re spending a good 4 hours in close quarters with these people and you form a bond of sorts. William calls Elmer “grandpa,” Willy calls him “coach’” and I just call him “Elmer.” Elmer has an Olympic Club 2012 US Open hat on. I ask him if he was up there for the tourney. He responds no, that he bought the hat at a rummage sale for 25 cents—with a big smile on his face. Willy played baseball at Henry and also toured around New Zealand and other places playing on a fast-pitch softball team. He is a little guy and you can see how he was probably a hell of a second baseman back in the day. At one point, the course goes along a baseball field. Willy points out that he played Pony League on that same field 40 years ago. Willy is still pretty keyed up, but he was really hell on wheels when he was younger. He told me he no longer drinks “though I still burn,” and that he had a stroke at 36 from too much hard living! He works as a tile-setter. He tore up his knee at some point and moves gingerly in and out of the cart. He ends up shooting a follow-all-the-rules 84, which is damn impressive. We’re both divorced and we share some war stories about our personal lives as we make our way around the course. At one point he tells me that his kids are 25, 26, and 27. “Wow—you cranked ‘em out in a hurry” I say. He responds with “well, the middle one was with another woman.” As he lines up a 5 wood, he gets off one of best lines of the day when he says “Yeah, it’s all good now, but it was pretty fucking dramatic at the time.” “I’ll bet it was,” I respond. He gave me one of his business cards at the end of the round. On the front it reads “Tile Setter Extraordinaire” and on the back it reads “The bitterness of poor Quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten.”

• chipower9 said, on August 9, 2012 at 8:38 am

Nice story SanDog. I have not golfed in years, and I pretty much suck. I guess there are just too many other things I would prefer to do with a four hour chunk of time, but it can be a good time being out on a course early in the morning. I liked your description of a “perfect day.”

• snarkk said, on August 9, 2012 at 9:46 am

I played a round of golf once on an ocean resort course on the Atlantic side of Nova Scotia. Got paired up with a pair of priests. I cut out most of the four letter words, but let fly with one occasionally, as I tend to do while golfing. They didn’t seem to mind. Shared a beer with ‘em after the round at the 19th hole. They weren’t bad players. I did alright. No, they didn’t have any 12 year old caddies with ‘em…

5. chipower9 said, on August 9, 2012 at 8:33 am

Nice spin, Chuck.

Well, before I go down that trail…here is another piece on Melky with a bit more detail on the tableing of contract extension talks.

So, what are my “outside of baseball activities”…Well, I like to be outdoors. My lady Gail and I enjoy hiking…a good 5-6 mile hike off into the wilderness does miracles for my soul. While I have not backpacked in quite some time, I plan to do so next year (some short trips with a few friends who are avid backpackers, and Gail has even said she is open to an over-nighter). For Chrismas last year I bought my son a guided all-day fly-fishing trip/lesson for the two of us. I have gotten out a few times with him, but this is something I hope to do more of in the future.

Another passion I have is motorcycles. I rode my first two-wheeler when I was five (a home made minibike with a Briggs and Stratton lawnmower engine for power). I then owned a number of dirt bikes. Got my first road bike (it was a road legal enduro – Kawasaki) when I was 14. I have not ridden in the dirt in years, but now own a 2005 Harley Road King (my third Harley), and love to get out “In The Wind.”

I like to spend time with my kids (daughter Jessi is 26 and son Zach is 28), and also with my lovely grand daughter Ainslee Sierra who just turned one.

Outside of this…I read a lot. Got to love me some books. I also follow college football (Boomer Sooner!) and the NFL (GO Niners) closely.

But the Orange and Black is something about which I am probably as passionate about as anything else in my life.

6. dirtnrocksnomo said, on August 9, 2012 at 8:36 am

Did some rafting up on Oregon a couple of years back. That was great. When I was still up in Reno trips to Sand Harbor and fishing/camping took up almost every summer weekend. Really skiing is it for me. I usually get in anywhere from 15-30 days a year and last year my daughter took to it so I hope that translates to more time on the slopes. It will be tough to get in so many days traveling from the bay area but I’ve got my season pass already.

Chuck, if you haven’t already check out Bowman lake. Nice dirt riding and fishing/camping up there.

7. Irish Kevin said, on August 9, 2012 at 8:45 am

Down time for me is anything out doors. whether it is hiking, biking(bicycle) or just sitting by my pool. Now I am a bear in the winter, I hybernate, I hate the cold!! Once the feet and hands go numb outdoors is no fun!! For winter, I am a home body. Read, play on the computer. Good thing football is on in the winter, I have an excuse not to go outdoors!!

8. chipower9 said, on August 9, 2012 at 8:46 am

Speaking of rafting, it is unbelievable that I have lived in the Sierra foothills since 1989 and have never rafted the American (South or Middle forks). I did raft in Hells Canyon (Idaho) years ago when on a duty assignment to Mountain Home Air Force Base. It was bad ass. I need to get off my ass and do a trip on the American.

9. Irish Kevin said, on August 9, 2012 at 8:47 am

Other than the occassional video, no body seems to post jokes out here. Is that cause we all assume the joke gets forwarded in emails so we have all seen it? anyway I thought this was hilarious.

Only in Texas my friends…Only in Texas ..

A lawyer runs a stop sign and gets pulled over by a sheriff’s deputy. He thinks that he is smarter than the deputy because he is a lawyer from New York and is certain that he has a better education then any cop from Houston, TX. He decides to prove this to himself and have some fun at the Texas deputy’s expense.

The deputy says, ‘License and registration, please.’

‘What for?’ says the lawyer…

The deputy says, ‘You didn’t come to a complete stop at the stop sign.’

Then the lawyer says, ‘I slowed down, and no one was coming.’

‘You still didn’t come to a complete stop, Says the deputy.
    License and registration, please.’

The lawyer says, ‘What’s the difference?’

‘The difference is you have to come to complete stop, that’s the law. License and registration, please!’ the Deputy repeats..

Lawyer says, ‘If you can show me the legal difference between slow down and stop, I’ll give you my license and registration; and you give me the ticket… If not, you let me go and don’t give me the ticket.’

‘That sounds fair. Please exit your vehicle, sir,’ the deputy says.

At this point, the deputy takes out his nightstick and starts beating the crap out of the lawyer and says, ‘Do you want me to stop, or just slow down?’

• sandog said, on August 9, 2012 at 9:56 am

Thats’ a pretty good one. My favorite it still Dennis’ about the guy whose wife dies in the Holy Land.

10. Nipper said, on August 9, 2012 at 8:50 am

I’m into smog and urban living. Haven’t seen a river in years or the ocean.

11. willedav said, on August 9, 2012 at 8:59 am

Unc, I haven’t been there in years but Hwy 49 along Yuba is really nice country. I used to have two sets of relatives in Downieville, and was up there with some softball buddies camping in Indian Valley just outside of town years ago. First time I was ever playing in snow as a kid was up there too–big stuff for us flatlanders.
    I have to work almost every Saturday of the year, so it’s tough to get out except to coach basketball, which goes damn near year round now. Kids sports these days have become whack and far too competitive at early age—mostly because parents are always looking to keep them busy and “training” for some unreachable goal like d-1 college scholarship.

12. Flavor said, on August 9, 2012 at 9:10 am

San Dawg– loved the story from your golf game. Most of you guys (maybe all) have never met this guy. I’ve been to a game with him (the posey-vid) and we played a round of golf together with my old man. I’ll tell ya, he’s as legit as all his posts make him out to be. And the amount me and Diggity have in common is truly scary.
    But to your golf post, my grandpa taught me to play when I was about 7. He was very good, mostly played to about a 5 in his heyday and I had the privilege of playing a round with him when he shot his age at 83. It was the last time he ever did that. I’m going to share a couple more stories about him later today…

• sandog said, on August 9, 2012 at 9:46 am

Thanks man—looking forward to the Gpa stories.

13. Macdog said, on August 9, 2012 at 9:14 am

Just went camping/rafting in Pa. last week in what’s become an annual family outing (9 of us total). The Lehigh River is a bit more benign than the American, and the trip takes about 3-4 hours with lots of water fights among the rafters. Still, great fun and always leaves me wanting more.

I’d love to go on a much faster river as you did, Chuck. Last year I got a little taste of it when we were in Charlotte, and I took my daughter to the US National Whitewater Center, where the Olympic team trains. We made a few runs on their man-made course and it was such an incredible rush. I can only imagine what it’s like doing it in the wilderness over 5-6 hours.

Otherwise, I hit the beach, do a little cycling, and take the dog on long walks at a couple local parks (very stress-relieving). I also like golf, but I’ve only gotten out once this year. I suck at it, which used to bother the hell out of me, but I’ve come to terms with my suckitude and now take an “It beats working” approach that makes it much more enjoyable. And out of the 100 or so shots, there’s such a sweet feeling when you can nail 1 or 2 just right.

14. Macdog said, on August 9, 2012 at 9:27 am

Pagan CF
    Scutaro 2B
    Cabrera LF
    Posey C
    Pence RF
    Belt 1B
    Crawford SS
    Arias 3B
    Bumgarner LHP

• DJLoo said, on August 9, 2012 at 9:35 am

Playing to win!

• eddacker said, on August 9, 2012 at 9:35 am

resting Ryan tonight, guess that GS impressed the LU maker.

15. eddacker said, on August 9, 2012 at 9:29 am

I have been a backpacker, boy scout days, a biker both dirt (loved my Husky 250) and road with several HDs including a ’57 pan. I played BB from age 8 until 30 including several years in a fast pitch league. I have been a camper and river rafter living in Colfax and Grass Valley for 15 years. I was a weight lifter in college and a gardener most of my life. I still ride mountain bike, but they are not the same kind here as in Ca. These days I am a tourist traveling the UK and Europe on long weekend jaunts to castles, museums and little places that capture my interests. Right now I am finishing the Andre Aggasi autobiography which is both funny and amazing. I also play badminton 3x a week at my local gym; or as they are called here: Leisure Centre.

16. DJLoo said, on August 9, 2012 at 9:38 am

For thrills I like “Extreme Tiddlywinks”

17. unca_chuck said, on August 9, 2012 at 9:48 am

Yeah. my son is outgrowing his 110, and I’m not sure whether to get him a bigger bike or not. I’m not as into it as I used to be. Fricking kid has size 13.5 feet now. He’s 15, 5’10″ and 135 lb! Never got into street biking, mainly because I KNOW I’d kill myself. I’m too much of a speed junkie. Going fast on skis is what I leave it to. Gravity that is. Or driving.

Golf? Yeah, I try. Never had a lesson, and I’m inconsistent as hell. My claim to fame is almost breaking 100 (103) at Poppy Hills a couple years ago. Funny thing is, my buddy has one of those medicus clubs that breaks when you swing wrong. I can’t move the fucking club 2 feet without the thing folding up like an accordion. I’m fairly consistent with the driver, and I put pretty well, but my chipping is atrocious. I can’t do shit from 180 or closer.

• Nipper said, on August 9, 2012 at 10:31 am

Golf doesn’t suit your personality, Chuck.

18. sandog said, on August 9, 2012 at 9:52 am

WillieD–did you see Dan Roundfield died while rescuing his wife swimming in the ocean? Sad story. That guy was a bad-ass. I remember seeing his name in the box scores in The Sporting News putting up good numbers for the Pacers. This was pre-internet, pre-ESPN, back when the occasional NBA game was shown on tape delay or over the weekend. Back when I actually followed the NBA. I didn’t know what he looked like, what position he played, or where he played college ball, but I would pretend I was him (along with many other pro’s) in the sweet nerf hoop court we had in our bonus room. When I finally saw him play—probably in his Hawks days—and saw how much game he had, I liked him even more.

19. twinfan1 said, on August 9, 2012 at 9:58 am

So with management saying no more Panda at first, who loses the most time- Crawford or Theriot?

• Macdog said, on August 9, 2012 at 10:02 am

Pav’s latest blog entry said Pablo at 1B is “still an option”: “Bochy said Scutaro will remain a fixture when Sandoval returns. That could mean time at second or short, and it could mean time at third base on days when Bochy moves Sandoval to first. Yes, that’s still an option, we were told tonight.”

• twinfan1 said, on August 9, 2012 at 10:21 am

They had ruled that out before.
        Here’e what the sit candidates have done for the year:
        Belt .251 BA .347 OBP .736 OPS
        Theriot .265 .313 .627
        Crawford .236 .292 .628

So I’d guess Theriot would sit the most, factoring in defense. I think Scuato would play second most days. and SS against LHers, with Theriot playing 2nd against LHers.

• Nipper said, on August 9, 2012 at 10:25 am

Splits are forbidden, I’m sure!

20. sandog said, on August 9, 2012 at 10:12 am

One more golf story, and then it’s back to your regularly scheduled programming….
    I also went out on my own Tuesday morning to a short course at a place called Singing Hills Resort. (Hey, I go back to work on Monday so I’m trying to squeeze in a few last rounds before another school year heats up) As I’m pulling into the parking lot I see this GODDESS of a woman walking toward the clubhouse. She’s tall. She’s tan. She’s got a great figure—lean with a real nice rack. Her posture and gait are perfect and she is dressed country-club hot: TIGHT polo shirt, black Capri pants, visor, and a sweet black pair of Adidas golf shoes with mini socks. This is not a girl, this is a woman—but what a creature—Cougar, MILF, whatever term you prefer fits.

This resort is pretty big—3 courses, 2 clubhouses, big teaching area etc with lots of people around, so by the time I park and walk onto the grounds in hopes of catching another glimpse of her, she is nowhere to be found. (Not that I would have done anything had I actually seen her, but I just wanted to take a second look.) The short course gets the least amount of play of the 3 courses at Singing Hills and they ask me if I’m ok with going out alone. That is totally fine with me as I really want to use the round to work on my irons and now I’ll be able to take my time, hit some extra shots, tinker with my swing etc without worrying about holding anyone up. I hit my tee shot and am about to walk down the 1st fairway when they make an announcement on the PA telling me to hold up as they are sending out someone to join me. At this point, I’ve forgotten about the woman and am in full golf mode. In fact, I was a little pissed that I wasn’t going to be able to play alone after all. Well….I’ll give you one guess who comes around the corner pushing her bag asking if it is ok if she joins me. I couldn’t fucking believe it.
    So off we go. The course is practically empty, so its just the two of us chatting it up and swinging away. At first, I had to calm myself down. I’m gonna be 48 in a couple of months, but I felt like a 7th grader at the Sadie Hawkins dance. Despite my nerves, I started playing out of my ass—putting dents in greens and kicking in par putts. On number 3 I rolled in a 25 footer with a good 2 feet of break in it. I felt like the priest in Caddyshack. On top of that, she was cool as hell and we were hitting it off. She’s been divorced twice—-so have I. She has 2 kids, both out of the house—one at Cal Poly, I’ve got 3 kids—one at SFSU. She just started playing in January, but she has taken lessons and gets the ball around the course pretty well. When she started spouting lines like “I love Hodad’s” (legendary local burger place) and “you can always find cheap places to play golf,” I was ready to propose on the 7th tee box and consummate the engagement in the Drop Area next to the maintenance shed!!
    Alas, much like the 1993 Giants, this thrilling ride filled with so much promise does not have a happy ending. I did end up asking her out, but she said she’s involved with someone (not surprising) and doesn’t date guys with young kids (if you saw her you’d see why she can get away with being picky). At any rate, it was yet another entertaining morning on the golf course.

• blade3colorado said, on August 9, 2012 at 10:35 am

Both of your golf stories are POTD ‘Dog!

• eddacker said, on August 9, 2012 at 10:45 am

AGREED!

• Flavor said, on August 9, 2012 at 11:10 am

totally agree. They were both fantastic.

• Wilcojoe said, on August 9, 2012 at 8:44 pm

Greatest post ever!

21. snarkk said, on August 9, 2012 at 10:12 am

Panda at 1B is dumb. Belt is starting to hit the last 10 days, and hit gappers. He stays at 1B, with the Posey two step there when Hector is in. If Panda plays 1b too, Belt is a spectator except for his glove in late innings. With Pence here now to extend the LU, Scutaro is the guy that can play anywhere when Panda is back, but he should shuttle between SS and 2b, depending on matchups and rest…

• Nipper said, on August 9, 2012 at 10:26 am

Dumb or Dumber?

22. eddacker said, on August 9, 2012 at 10:19 am

that is a tough one, good question. We have Brandon fielding well, Ryan and Marcos both wily veterans and Joaquin strong contender for the util bench job. both veterans have played short, more so Scutaro. So going with your choices it is Theriot and Joaquin bottom of pecking order. This doesn’t include my limited knowledge of protocol after Ryan has given us so much from the 2bag.

23. Nipper said, on August 9, 2012 at 10:28 am

Cards will be tough today! Giants will have problems on this day game.

• blade3colorado said, on August 9, 2012 at 10:43 am

Wainwright has been hot and cold this season, which is to be expected after his surgery . . . However, in his last two starts, he has been the Wainwright of old, throwing a complete game against the Brewers on Saturday, and he earned the win after holding them to one run on five hits over nine innings. He didn’t even need 100 pitches to go the distance in that one, requiring only 98 (73 strikes) to record the requisite 27 outs. Nor did he walk a batter in this one, and he has walked all of 10 batters over his last nine starts.

In his start before the Brew Crew, he out pitched Bums ace Kershaw, yielding two runs on seven hits, 7 SOs, and a walk in 7.1 innings, during the Cardinals 8-2 victory.

Yeah Nip, it will probably be a tough game.

• eddacker said, on August 9, 2012 at 10:49 am

ya got that right, but we got Bumgarner and could be a fine matchup no matter which Adam shows up. I hope Madison is as excited about this game as we are.

24. Nipper said, on August 9, 2012 at 10:29 am

I like the travel channel to see all the places I will miss.

• eddacker said, on August 9, 2012 at 10:47 am

The Travel Channel is just like Playboy: pretty pictures of places you will never visit.

25. blade3colorado said, on August 9, 2012 at 11:00 am

Nice play by Scooter

26. blade3colorado said, on August 9, 2012 at 11:14 am

Cord fed no doubt.

• blade3colorado said, on August 9, 2012 at 11:22 am

*Corn

• blade3colorado said, on August 9, 2012 at 11:22 am

But who knows, they could be eating cords. Ha.

27. Macdog said, on August 9, 2012 at 11:14 am

A Beltran HR in August, wish we could’ve seen more of those last year.

28. eddacker said, on August 9, 2012 at 11:25 am

home run by beltran, otherwise they both have 35 pitches, 3Ks Adam has a walk, but is starting to miss, Bum tightened up on the weak batters.

29. Alleykat said, on August 9, 2012 at 11:29 am

Great stuff Chuck,anytime you can get out in the great outdoors is special.Yeah I made that run down the American River once about 5yrs ago out of Coloma,it is worth every penny from calm to delieverance at times.
    Might have mentoned this to you already,But I use to stay in cool cabins at Packer Lake,..near Sierraville.Every Cabin , names like Maple Syrup,Duck Inn Aspen are assigned a Alum boat no motor,and you just row around the lake or anchor near the big rock by the lodge and Fish On! A good spot.The lodge at Packer has a full bar and the Steaks or Mountain Cuts!, They will even clean your trout ketch for dinner or you can freeze them for take home.Nice menu of varity dishes by a Chef that the owner brings up from SF getting his extra experience from a Cullinary school .during the season.
    I would also go over to Grayeagle for my fix on golf.Great courses like White Hawk Ranch,my favorite,fairways are like the greens just awesome.Plumas Pines,another nice course,Grayeagle and the Dragon,tough layout with their motto “Bring us your Heros” all these courses about 30-45 min from Packer Lake Lodge…Really you can’t go wrong in the Gold Basin lakes,all great like Salmon Lake,Gold Lake,Haven Lake,Sardine Lake.Enjoy your time up there,i always do!!

I

30. Flavor said, on August 9, 2012 at 11:53 am

watching Holliday throw his bat down after that SO reminded me of another grandpa story. I was probably 11 years old—he and I were playing with 2 of his friends. We were teeing off on the 7th at Big Meadow (up in Black Butte, Oregon). He and his friends all tee’d off, perfect drives. I got up there and hooked the shit out of my drive. As it sailed into the woods, certainly lost, I decided to express my frustration by *helicoptering* my driver down the fairway. For an 11 year old, I got all of that one! :) It sailed over the ladies tee, bounced a couple of times, finally coming to rest about 30 yards away. I started walking towards my club, probably to give it another toss I can’t really remember, but I didn’t get very far. My papa, a big dude, grabbed me by the arm (that man had *old man strength*) and dragged me into the golf cart. He u-turned us back down the 6th, the 5th, the 4th….he didn’t say a word. Finally, we got to their house (which was on the 2nd tee. He said “Go inside. And if I ever see you throw another club that’s the last time we play golf together and it’ll be the last time you ever play our course again.” Then he drove off to get back to the game with his friends.
    Golf was a big deal in my family growing up. Everyone played. I stood there in a partial state of shock not sure what to do. My mom came out of the house and asked me what happened and i just told her I didn’t want to talk about it and went inside.
    My papa came home after the game. He didn’t say anything to me and didn’t tell my mom or my nana why he had dropped me off (at least I never heard him tell them and my mom never brought it up). He never discussed the incident with me again.
    But for the rest of my life I never once threw a golf club or a baseball bat. And whenever I see someone do that I think about my papa and what he would think of that type of behavior. He was a good man…..

• blade3colorado said, on August 9, 2012 at 11:59 am

Flav, what do you think of Anibal Sanchez? I know you have him in the Flap (I think). I am so glad I sat him against the Yankees yesterday in another league I have him in. I suspected that he would struggle in the AL – the league has way better hitters and since joining the Tigers last month, he’s posting a 7.80 ERA and 10:7 K:BB ratio in his three starts. I am about to drop him and grab Lorenzo Cain over the waiver wire. Good move?

• Flavor said, on August 9, 2012 at 12:33 pm

yes. And how is Cain still available in that league?

• blade3colorado said, on August 9, 2012 at 12:41 pm

Yahoo league that doesn’t allow as many reserves, etc., like ESPN does. Has nothing to do with the teams intelligence (mostly good managers in this league). Quite a few players still available, where they would be gobbled up in a 12 team rotisserie league like the Flap. I just checked and there are approx. a dozen position players that would be swallowed in the Flap league, including the aforementioned Cain, Hosmer, Ludwick, Moustakas, Ross, Fowler, and our Pagan. Instead, they are all waiver wire fodder.

31. Macdog said, on August 9, 2012 at 11:55 am

Edd, you watching the women’s soccer — sorry, football — game? U.S. just took 1-0 lead.

• eddacker said, on August 9, 2012 at 12:13 pm

no, I am no football fan. I believe in the Olympics they are calling it soccer

32. unca_chuck said, on August 9, 2012 at 12:03 pm

Cool. Just got a boat reserved at Packer Lake. We’re going to camp at either Haven or Goose Lake. Free spots . . .

33. unca_chuck said, on August 9, 2012 at 12:08 pm

Yeah, last time I was there with my son, we hiked to the ranger station at the tippy top of the mountain in the picture. The stairway to the station is nuts . . .

• Nipper said, on August 9, 2012 at 12:29 pm

Next you’ll be bungie jumping somewhere. Yell a bleep on the way down.

34. unca_chuck said, on August 9, 2012 at 12:09 pm

Damn. Almost got it down.

35. blade3colorado said, on August 9, 2012 at 12:10 pm

Coulda, woulda, shoulda . . . Big inning left on the table.

• Macdog said, on August 9, 2012 at 12:16 pm

Could’ve used the Scutaro slam today instead of last night.

36. unca_chuck said, on August 9, 2012 at 12:22 pm

yeah, got to keep ounding Wainwright. We’re getting to him little by little.

Changed the pic to show the stairway to the ranger station.

Fuck, Pence . . .

37. unca_chuck said, on August 9, 2012 at 12:23 pm

Fuck, That’s about the 5th spank-me pitch they’ve popped up. . . .

38. Nipper said, on August 9, 2012 at 12:24 pm

Can’t win them all……St. Louis is good.

39. eddacker said, on August 9, 2012 at 12:40 pm

In real time I am watching that play and I yell, “get in position, ump” he barely moved as Jay was running. It almost looked like it caught him off guard. In real time I could see the tag was good.
    tough day. the home ump is good.

40. twinfan1 said, on August 9, 2012 at 12:58 pm

Posey kept bitching at the home plate ump- who obviousy had the better angle.The absolute worst thing is when these guys don’t get help when needed- it should not be optional. In this case Posey should have been able to request it- with automatic approval.

• eddacker said, on August 9, 2012 at 1:09 pm

agreed, the 3b ump was out of position and I was looking for help from the home ump.

41. Macdog said, on August 9, 2012 at 12:59 pm

Hunter S. Thompson could’ve probably swung better.

42. eddacker said, on August 9, 2012 at 1:12 pm

Lots of infield popups tonight. Andy was just good enough.

43. salty said, on August 9, 2012 at 1:26 pm

To echo Nipper. Bleep!

44. unca_chuck said, on August 9, 2012 at 1:54 pm

I changed the pic to the stairway from the ranger lookout on top of the Sierra Buttes. They used to station someone up there 3 months at at time. Crazy.

• blade3colorado said, on August 9, 2012 at 2:06 pm

No elevator? Escalator? Zip line? Fire department pole? Umm, stripper’s pole?

45. Macdog said, on August 9, 2012 at 1:57 pm

Hey, the U.S. women’s soccer team won the gold! A bunch of Jersey girls on the team, so it’s a big deal in my neck of the woods.

• eddacker said, on August 9, 2012 at 2:25 pm

congrats, not easy to win gold in the world’s most popular game there is mucho competition.

46. blade3colorado said, on August 9, 2012 at 2:42 pm

Andres Torres homered, tripled and doubled, and drove in the go-ahead run in the Mets 6-1 win over Miami today.

• twinfan1 said, on August 9, 2012 at 3:40 pm

He looked done more than once this year. He’s still at just .242 but he has his OBP up to .356, and his OPS has snuck over .700. I’m happy to see him doing better.

• blade3colorado said, on August 9, 2012 at 3:51 pm

The three RBI nearly matches Torres output for the past two months and his batting average went up 10 points with just this game. However, we’ve all seen what Andres can do when he is not injured . . . and I agree with his manager Collins, who said, “If that swing’s back, we’re going to score a lot more runs.”

• twinfan1 said, on August 9, 2012 at 9:16 pm

I’ve watched his year closely, because I like him and wish him him well wherever he goes. I know what last night did to his numbers and I also shuddered at his 0-4 3 K 11 left on a few evenings ago. Too bad they didn’t DFA him then.

47. zumiee said, on August 9, 2012 at 2:45 pm

Music is one of my big non-sport interests. On Tuesday night, I was at a Kasey Chambers concert at Slim’s in SF. I hadn’t been to Slim’s in several years. Slim’s seemed like it was kind of turning into a hard rock/heavy metal club the last several years. I tend more to the Americana/roots type of music, which is more commonly at the Great American Music Hall in SF, or at the Freight and Salvage in Berkeley.
    Before the concert on Tuesday I was following the Giants game on my phone, after hearing some of the game on my drive to the show. I went to the concert with my wife, a Braves fan, and with a friend of ours, who is a Dodgers fan, and we had some great talk about baseball on the way. All three of our teams are kind of in the same boat, trying to hit on all cylinders and make a strong playoff run. Everybody wants a division title these days, of course, with the Wild Card having lost a lot of its appeal.
    Here’s Kasey Chambers, from a different tour:

48. Flavor said, on August 9, 2012 at 2:49 pm

So Abreu cleared waivers and now has accepted a AAA assignment. Why is he doing this? The Angels have to pay him the rest of the contract no matter what (they’re paying 8.6 mil of his 9 million dollar salary to play for the Dodgers (now the Dodgers AAA team).
    Does he just love playing ball THAT much? He’s made 115 million in his career, it can’t be for the money (which I’m assuming he gets paid whether he accepts the assignment or elects free agency……..)

49. unca_chuck said, on August 9, 2012 at 3:15 pm

Gary Brown has recovered and is starting tionight for the Flying Squirrels,

ANd Panda starts his rehab assignment in San Hozay . . .

• unca_chuck said, on August 9, 2012 at 3:20 pm

If you didn’t know, he got hit in the head with a bat. One of his teammates nailed him in the eye with his backswing during practice a couple days ago. Cat scans and MRIs showed no issues.

• blade3colorado said, on August 9, 2012 at 3:22 pm

So, the brain Cat and MRI scans showed nothing there? lqtm.

• snarkk said, on August 9, 2012 at 4:09 pm

Isn’t one of the first rules of organized baseball, let alone pro ball, don’t swing the bat unless you know nobody is around you?…

50. twinfan1 said, on August 9, 2012 at 4:11 pm

Well, I did attempt to emulate the famous “chickie run” scene in “Rebel Without a Cause”, retitled “Morons on Purpose”. Our street went uphill in both directions in front of our house. Brother Bill was poised on top of one hill, I the other. The idea was as simple as it was idiotic- we would race down the hill towards each other- whoever swerved to avoid the collision, lost. Neither of us swerved. We both went to the hospital with concussions. I was in the hospital longer. so I guess I won.
    chickie

• unca_chuck said, on August 9, 2012 at 4:17 pm

Good times . . .good times . . .

• DJLoo said, on August 9, 2012 at 5:18 pm

Dunderheads…

• twinfan1 said, on August 9, 2012 at 5:35 pm

I’m in no position to argue that, alas.

51. Flavor said, on August 9, 2012 at 6:50 pm

All of you know the stuff I do in my free time: I like to play poker and the horses. I like to work out. For the last year I’ve been running the hills where I live, mostly at the request of the chick I’m dating, but it’s growing on me. I stopped playing golf (well, I still play 3 or 4 times a year) after I had a kid—5 straight hours is tough to find, especially as, basically, a single dad.
    Socially, I spend a lot of time with Katie and her friend’s parents and their kids. We’re cool, we hang out, but it’s not like we’re tight or anything. They’re nice people. I’m hitting the giants game on Sat with K8 and one of my best friend’s and his daughter. BBQ at his place on Sun. Those are the best times for me……..

52. PawlieKokonuts said, on August 9, 2012 at 8:18 pm

My for-public-consumption answer: reading, writing, walking, very little TV except for stuff like “MadMen” and “The Sopranos” when it was on, some minor league games, coffee shops, conversation. I sound so dull.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on August 9, 2012 at 8:19 pm

…and my daughter’s ballet performances, other daughter’s lacrosse games, laughing with my one grandson.

• Wilcojoe said, on August 9, 2012 at 9:01 pm

Mad Men is the best series since The Sopranos…I have a self confessed man crush on both Don Draper and Roger Sterling.

53. Wilcojoe said, on August 9, 2012 at 8:49 pm

Sandawg’s post about the chick he got paired up with…”pure gold baby.”

54. ewisco said, on August 9, 2012 at 9:20 pm

i was in a corporate class when i got back to the corporate world (housewife for ten years, a whole different story). to “warm” us up, they asked each of us, “what hobbies do you have?”. one of the first guys thought for a moment and said, “i have kids, i don’t have hobbies anymore”. and all of a sudden, the rest of us were saying “that’s right! I USED to have hobbies but i don’t now”. I backpacked and camped as a kid. my buddy went to san diego state and they have a fabulous outdoor program and a bunch of them became river guides. i’ve been down the best whitewater in the west. i used to have a couple of milk crates stowed with equipment and i could go camping/rafting in 30 minutes! rowed my own boat down the grand canyon (21 days). shot a 103 (99 adjusted!) at pebble. was ranked 11th in the world on a 4×100 medley relay. but now just try to get by day to day. flav, if you think single parenting is tuff, try having a wife.

I do love watching the boys play ball though. i’m going to be coaching them for the last time this fall in flag football. hopefully we go out in a blaze of glory.

55. TedSpe said, on August 9, 2012 at 9:23 pm

test. revret

56. unca_chuck said, on August 9, 2012 at 9:28 pm

Yeah, the girls are off to college (shit, my oldest will be a senior), just the 3 of us now. Things are definitely quieter. Plus I can do shit like camp with my son for little getaways. The 22 years of kid-dom ruling the days and hours and minutes is winding down.

Weird. Pretty soon they’ll all be gone.

• TedSpe said, on August 9, 2012 at 9:32 pm

57. TedSpe said, on August 9, 2012 at 9:29 pm

Nice topic, chuck. As far as sports go, I’m a medalist in full contact chess. And I almost lettered in masterbation in college but I dropped out. More out of frustration then anything else. I was always late for class and they kept starting without me.

And as far as extracurricular activity, I act and write music.
    Badly

• unca_chuck said, on August 9, 2012 at 10:27 pm

If that;s what you posted, what did you delete? :)

• TedSpe said, on August 9, 2012 at 10:32 pm

To be honest? I deleted an asshole remark about how I went in to edit your poor spelling. You really fucked up on grammar and punctuation on that last one. Well, frankly, just bad clumsy typos
        Love ya chief

58. SanDawg said, on August 10, 2012 at 7:27 am

Just to wrap up a few items from yesterday’s thread:
    Thanks for the kudos on the golf bits. It felt good to put that stuff out there and I’m glad some you enjoyed reading them.
    Chuck—again, great thread. It was very cool to read what others do with their free time. I’m putting those Sierraville-area lakes on my bucket list if I ever write one.
    Flav—love that your grandad did not continue the lecture about club-throwing back at his house. I see admins at my school make the mistake of lecturing the hell out of a kid when he/she has a disciplinary incident. Much better to briefly tell them how they fucked up, let them know their consequence, and then be done with it.
    Zum—liked your bit about interacting with Braves fan wife and Dodger fan friend. Right now my friend Doug is in town and he is a diehard Dodger fan. I hate the Dodgers more than any franchise in sports, but I respect that he knows their team so well and yesterday we were having the same conversation you alluded to about how both of our teams are kind of in the same boat.
    Ewisco—11th ranked in the 4 x 100? Nice! That is picking ‘em up and puttin’ em back down my friend.

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 451 other followers