Filling The Big Fake Hole in Left Field

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on August 21, 2012

Your attention please, batting for Snarkk….number 77….Biiiig Flaaavvvooorrrrrr!!!!!!

cue the music, “Paradise City”, byG&R. And I’m not talking about a goddamn snippet of the song. When I get called up to the plate I’m not stepping into the batters box until the entire s0ng has played from start to finish. Screw it, flip on “November Rain”….

What was I talking about?

His final game for us was August 14th and as we complete our first full week without that cheating, selfish fuck, I am still staring at the Giants outfield and not seeing even a borderline replacement. Right now, having Pagan and Pence “wheelin’ it big in the outer and inner outfield” is looking pretty good to me. And I’m not talking about replacing a guy who led the league in hits and runs and who had a .346 batting average. I’m just talking about a guy who isn’t named *Justin Christian*.  Speaking of a guy like that, what the hell happened to Gregor Blanco? Back on May 30th, The White Shark was  still sporting an OBP over .400 and an .823 OPS. Fast forward a couple of months and he’s hitting .234 with an OBP of .329. WIthout being able to pinpoint the exact difference, Gregor Blanco shows us the difference between being the MVP of the Venezuelan Winter League and what it takes to succeed at the mlb level. Anyway, Blanco is an option I guess…..

There’s been talk of calling up Gary Brown. He’s been playing in LF for Richmond lately and I’m wondering if that isn’t a sign of desperate measures to come. I am against that idea since I don’t think he’s ready to hit mlb pitching and as a young player he’s probably a little burnt as his season is just about over. He’s not walking enough (6.3%) and one of the Flap’s favorite saber stats, wRC+, is at a very pedestrian 108. Those are not numbers that scream *fast track this kid to the big leagues right now.”

Marco Scutaro has played 95 innings in the outfield (out of the 9766 innings he’s played in his career), has been hitting situationally well for us, and is also an option for the LF job….

So it’s time for a Flapper Vote. A waiver wire pick up (like Cody Ross in 2010) is also a possibility. For the purposes of the vote, I am using Andres Torres as the waiver wire player we would pick up…..

About these ads

1. Bozo said, on August 21, 2012 at 7:00 am

Scutaro in Left wouldn’t bother me if Torres was our CFer. With Pagan out there I would prefer someone a bit more comfortable with the position. If we were going for a waiver wire pick up I’d try for Cody Ross II. He’d be a rental so might not cost so much, brings RH pop and can cover ground in the OF.

Great game last night.

• Bozo said, on August 21, 2012 at 7:07 am

IMO, the only question that Christian is an answers to is – What warm body did the Giants put in the OF because the rules say they needed nine on the field?

• zumiee said, on August 21, 2012 at 7:38 am

Last night the starter was Blanco, but your point is still the same. (grin)

2. eddacker said, on August 21, 2012 at 7:05 am

Last night near the end of the eighth I was thinking defensive replacement. candidates were pablo, posey and pence. So I immediately thought crawford, sanchez, and no-one. Looks like they plan to play Buster at first today. Wonder if we will see Brandon?

3. blade3colorado said, on August 21, 2012 at 7:09 am

“I lived in Denver for four years (also moved there in 1997, coincidentally, right at the peak of Elway Fever). I never once saw kids playing hockey on a frozen lake. Basically they stole Quebec’s NHL team, got lucky and won a Stanley Cup their first year in town, and suddenly everybody in Denver acted like they had always loved hockey.”

Ben Harren posted the aforementioned yesterday and I didn’t see it until today. I lived in Evergreen and at Evergreen Lake, during the winter, you would see not one, two, three, but usually 4 hockey games going on simultaneously on the lake. There is also a large private pond near Blue Creek Road and they play during the winter. In fact, they lost their small zamboni, when they thought the ice had hardened sufficiently. Wrong.

4. zumiee said, on August 21, 2012 at 7:44 am

Leftfield looks really bleak when the choices are actually listed. I didn’t really get Blanco starting last night against Kershaw. That seemed like it had very little chance for success. It did provide for a great Dodger highlight- Kershaw diving to catch that pop-up on the bunt.
    Scutaro should get a chance out there at some point, just for the heck of it. Or Belt. Blanco, unfortunately, seems kind of done. He gave the Giants a big couple of months early in the season. It was a big contribution; but now he’s running on fumes.

5. chipower9 said, on August 21, 2012 at 7:54 am

Yeah, out of the options…I have to go waiver wire. There was scuttlebutt about the Giants possibly getting Ross back, but I wonder…

He is making only 3 mil on a one year deal, so he has about 700K remaining. He has been playing lately (4 games in last 7 days, 10 in the last 14, and 22 in the last 28 – he started in all but one of those games).

Given this, why would the Red Sox even look to move him? It is not like they will shave a ton of salary, or get much in return. Anyway…of all the options…I am hoping for a waiver-wire deal ala 2010 (or course, you have a number of teams who could block us).

GREAT game last night. Clayton WHO? (Actually, he pitched light-out…but our young gunslinger was just a bit better). BOO YAH!

• Bozo said, on August 21, 2012 at 9:13 am

chi – I think the Sox might be interested because they would get something for him and still have a shot at signing him next year. And as a rental, I was thinking less teams might try and block the trade. I haven’t looked at all the AL teams, so not sure of a team in that league in need of a rental OFer. I doubt the Dodgers would block that trade, maybe the Snakes

Bring back the Clown..

6. chipower9 said, on August 21, 2012 at 7:57 am

Time for Tim to pull a gem out of his ass. Would be sweet to lock up the series win today!

7. willedav said, on August 21, 2012 at 7:57 am

well, think of LF the same way you might have thought about SS–if crawford hit .240 and played good D, that was gonna be acceptable. Btw he and Arias they have that position well covered, and with scutaro sandoval theriot belt that’s a solid IF. I still say it’s better than Dodgers except for Hanley, and if you add in Posey at C that’s 4 out of 5. And last night so was our SP.
    I guess I can live with blanco as long as Pence and Pagan continue to do so well. Whether Brown would be any better than a waiver guy, I dunno. I would think any waiver guy not named Soriano getting a chance to be a starter here to play in front of our crowd in the middle of a pennant race, esp a RH, would be pretty excited. Any of above would give you more than cristian, even Pill.
    Twin, to answer your mijares comments from last night, imo I highly doubt he would make post season roster in place of zito or lincecum barring continued serious implosions; I just can’t envision bochy doing that to someone who has been here as long as they have and pitched all season. I honestly don’t care what M has done for the royals twins or anyone else over his career–only what he does for us. sunday he was awful and took a 3-1 game to 6-1 in an inning and two thirds. By contrast I’ve seen affeldt and lopez perform late game heroics But what M does in the next month will decide his future and not what I think, so I’ll let this go.

• twinfan1 said, on August 21, 2012 at 9:38 am

What he has he done for us is have 6 flawless outings and one poor one. Very good idea to drop it. What Bochy will do is what is best to win- I think he’s proved that when he left Zito off. They *might* keep 5 starters on the roster but that would be stupid, neither Tim or Zits would be as reliable out of the pen than ANY of the regular relief pitchers- I said that Jose could be a roster casualty but your trashing him based on one outing is absurd. He is a proven reliable situational lefty.

8. Salty said, on August 21, 2012 at 7:59 am

Bumgarner has now inserted himself into the Cy Young conversation. Remember many thought he would become the ACE going into the season. One game to win, he’s looking like the guy now.

• chipower9 said, on August 21, 2012 at 8:26 am

No shit. And how can you question the fortitude of a guy who at the end of 2010 (not even 21 years old) who had just played a key role in the World Series win saying “I just can’t wait to get to my barn and get in it” (wanting to get to his barn and muck some horseshit outta the stalls). I loved that…and when he made that quote (article in one of the Giants magazines)…he endeared himself to my girlfriend’s heart for eternity. Young Madison is THE MAN!

9. ewisco said, on August 21, 2012 at 8:45 am

here in Denver. Hoping to catch a beer or so with Blade. Denver Post – No results or box score. pathetic. I’d put scooter in left because having him and theriot in the lineup sounds more optimal than either one of them and almost anyone else.

• willedav said, on August 21, 2012 at 8:57 am

wow the dreaded “n”. rox are toast this year, but last night was a lot of high stakes games–LA/SF, Atl/Nats, AL division leaders whitesox/yanks, and texas/O’s. Lot of battles out there for spots in post season–pirates lost to the Pads, and A’s were hammered by twins as McCarthy got lit up, while tampa continues to shine 5-1 over KC.
      This is gonna be an exciting 5 weeks for baseball–hard to believe you can’t find a box score.

10. Macdog said, on August 21, 2012 at 8:55 am

Funny, I was thinking about the LF situation after the game. To the point where I checked to see if Arias, who’s hitting well this month, had any experience out there. He’s played LF once, two years ago with the Mets as a late-inning replacement. So much for that idea.

I went with WWPU, but my guess is they’ll probably have to get by with what they have. Either that or give Nady a shot. I’d prefer to keep Scutaro in the infield, but that’s always another option. Hey, no one said this was gonna be easy.

Great start to the series last night. MadBum out-dueling Kershaw while Pagan, Scutaro and Sandoval provide just enough offense. Halfway through I wasn’t sure MadBum would even get to the 8th, but there he was striking out Uribe and Victorino to cap off an outstanding start.

11. chipower9 said, on August 21, 2012 at 9:32 am

Here ya go, Eric:

Box:

• ewisco said, on August 21, 2012 at 10:18 am

Thanks. I knew i could find one on-line. I was just lamenting that a paper with a one hour time difference can’t get it done. I understand the difficulties of the east coast, but one hour?

• blade3colorado said, on August 21, 2012 at 10:23 am

That’s why they call Denver a “Cow Town” Eric. Pony Express is still fairly recent in their memory here. :-)

I’ll give you a call in a few minutes.

12. DJLoo said, on August 21, 2012 at 9:53 am

More Melky-ness:

It’ll be fascinating to see where he lands next season and for how much…

• unca_chuck said, on August 21, 2012 at 10:06 am

Stupid article. Brown bemoans the fact the game wasn’t ‘pretty’ because it was a low scoring affair, or some shit, while intimating that there are a lot more cheaters out there.

Oh, Melky will get a one year/$6 mill deal somewhere. Maybe KC tries again.

• unca_chuck said, on August 21, 2012 at 10:07 am

In other words, Brown, do you think the ‘crackdown’ on steroids has led to lower scoring games? Duh.

• chipower9 said, on August 21, 2012 at 10:34 am

I liked the article…well, at least the part about the Giants never making it easy, and beating the Bums. And I like how he highlighted Victorino’s weak-ass arm…couldn’t cut down our runners…and those two runs are all we needed with Paw Rugg on the bump!

• unca_chuck said, on August 21, 2012 at 11:42 am

What I didn’t like was his calling our style of baseball, and specifically the game last night ‘ugly’ because we don’t score much. Then he bemoans the fact that players are cheating?

13. paulinasia said, on August 21, 2012 at 10:00 am

Sorry, non-baseball for a moment, but Blade, I’m with you on that comment yesterday about hockey in Colorado. I also saw a lot of pond hockey, even in Denver, when i lived there ’77 to ’81 or thereabouts. And people forget that Denver did have a hockey team, called the Rockies (Rocky Hockey), I don’t know what level affiliation it was, but I went to some games at McNichol Arena to see them in those years, and it was popular. He also commented on the football fans; Mile High was sold out every game long before even the first Super Bowl season in ’78 (the Craig Morton era). Anyway, not a fair evaluation of the sports scene there, IMO.

• Macdog said, on August 21, 2012 at 10:07 am

The Devils were the Colorado Rockies before moving to New Jersey in 1982. And before Colorado they were originally the Kansas City Scouts.

• paulinasia said, on August 21, 2012 at 10:08 am

You beat me to it, Mac…

• paulinasia said, on August 21, 2012 at 10:08 am

Oops, I just remembered that the Rockies were NHL, weren’t there for long, moved to NJ as the Devils. Ah, the mind is the first thing to go…

• Macdog said, on August 21, 2012 at 10:16 am

I saw the Rockies play the Rangers at MSG on New Year’s Eve in 1980. Little did my buddy and I know that we’d soon be rooting for this same team when it moved to Jersey.

• paulinasia said, on August 21, 2012 at 10:22 am

Yeah, same with me, after seeing them in Denver and then some years later at the Meadowlands. My brother and his kids are big Devils fans, I’ve seen just a couple of games there while I was visiting… Oh, also saw the Denver Bears play at Mile High and also a smaller field near DU, they were Montreal’s minor league team back in the day. Actually got to see Tim Raines as a minor leaguer, couple of others who eventually made it up to those good Montreal teams at that time.

• blade3colorado said, on August 21, 2012 at 10:25 am

Thanks Paul . . . I knew I didn’t imagine it. :-)

14. unca_chuck said, on August 21, 2012 at 10:08 am

Didn’t the Seals somehow end up in Denver? After moving to Cleveland and becoming the Barons?

15. twinfan1 said, on August 21, 2012 at 10:21 am

Trying Gregor first was the no brainer way to go- mistake trying the platoon. He neeeds a couple more before quitting on him- I put forth Scutaro as option 2, that’s still my choice. I’ll remind again that as of now the DBacks and Bums can both block us on a waiver wire deal. Vungo? Interesting that as poor as he’s been in general, his OBP is better than Blanco or Pagan- but he no longer drives the ball at all- those extra base hits that elevated him to a

premier #1 in 2010 have been replaced with walks. His many leg problems have taken their toll. I’d love to have him back- but he’s a 4 or 5 OFer now. Brown? I’ve been back and forth- I would have given him up for Pence, and I suspect Sabean would have , too. There are some numbers that Craig has cited, and others, that make me dubious- and some that make me encouraged- I’m conflicted. Nady? Coming on somewhat after a dreadful start in Fresno, could now be the front runner if they go to the farm.

16. twinfan1 said, on August 21, 2012 at 10:44 am

On the Melky article, of course there are more users out there- the Milker’s drug of choice is easy to use without detection, and there are more “scientists” cooking up bettter and more undetectable stuff as we speak. There may be a brief hiatus but PEDs are a permanent fixture…
    As far as missing the Milker, once again I will remind us that we have had exactly ONE game with a better LU than

we can put out now. We can, have, and will win without him. He died on August 14, stick a carton of Clover on his grave and forget about him…

• eddacker said, on August 21, 2012 at 10:53 am

Done

• chipower9 said, on August 21, 2012 at 10:56 am

DONE x 2

• Nipper said, on August 21, 2012 at 11:04 am

Done and BLEEP Loudly to everyone in particular.

• DJLoo said, on August 21, 2012 at 11:07 am

Forget Melky……Remember The Alamo!

17. chipower9 said, on August 21, 2012 at 11:18 am

I wonder if any of the MelkMaids need some consoling…you know…a shoulder on which to cry. I could make a sacrafice and help if needed…

18. Salty said, on August 21, 2012 at 12:21 pm

Baggs suggests a dark horse candidate for LF He’s been hot of late. Interesting.

19. unca_chuck said, on August 21, 2012 at 12:29 pm

Wasn’t Juan Perez the guy with the mule carrying Folgers mountain grown Columbian coffee?

• chipower9 said, on August 21, 2012 at 1:20 pm

You’ve got your Juan’s all crossed-up, Chuck…that was Juan Valdez…

And on a coffee note…this is pretty damned funny…

• zumiee said, on August 21, 2012 at 2:18 pm

That’s pretty darned funny.

• twinfan1 said, on August 21, 2012 at 1:38 pm

He’s the head merrymaker at Soph’s idylic ranch in the fictional Coronado Range in southern Arizona..

20. Rooster said, on August 21, 2012 at 12:31 pm

“The game marked the first in the live-ball era that saw a pair of left-handers each reach double digits in strikeouts and issue no walks. Only two other games since 1920, regardless of the pitchers’ handedness, have seen both starters fan at least 10 and issue no walks. On July 12, 1997, Toronto’s Roger Clemens fanned 16 and Boston’s Aaron Sele had 11 K’s. On April 9, 2003, Montreal’s Javier Vazquez struck out 14 and Chicago’s Mark Prior collected 12 K’s.”

more @ http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120821&content_id=37071790&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

21. pawliekokonuts said, on August 21, 2012 at 12:42 pm

I miss Ryan Theriot. Put him in LF.

And….um, um, did we used to have a player named Audrey Hulf, Ambreth Hust? Aulton Hulst? Aubrey Huff? Something like that. No disrespect to him or the Argentines (Argentinians?), but is he one of The Disappeared?

• chipower9 said, on August 21, 2012 at 1:21 pm

Scutaro in LF and Theriot at 2nd…neither have tons of experience in the OF, but Scutaro definitely has move…

• eddacker said, on August 21, 2012 at 1:44 pm

He is back on the DL, the last time we saw him he was limping, not sure if it was an ankle or re-occurrence of the knee.

Last night’s game was excellent, exquisite, elegant and with a touch of torture.

• Rooster said, on August 21, 2012 at 2:08 pm

Huff? He must be getting up there in years – injured himself jumping over the railing of the dugout to celebrate a walk-off.

22. pawliekokonuts said, on August 21, 2012 at 12:43 pm

Last night’s game was exquisite, enriching, engrossing. And we won.

23. gianthead said, on August 21, 2012 at 1:51 pm

Great topic that I have been wondering for the past couple of days what we are going to do with the Black Hole in left field.

First, no to Gary Brown. I am taking the oldest kid down to Richmond next week to see him play!!! But I dont think he is ready for a playoff drive and we have seen what getting into the head of young hitters can do.

Second, with the point taken on the Douchebags or the Bums able to block us from getting an outfielder (if they put a claim on a player, they have to at least try and make a trade for him right?), I did not see any comments from you Flappers about Francouer? Would either of them block us from getitng him and then having to cough up almost $7 mill next year? How long does a team have to negotiate a trade after claiming someone off waivers? So how long could they try and actively block a move?

Francouer not great, but does have the right-handed power and experience that is better than what we have now on the roster. I would swallow the $7 mill for next year to beef up our OF. And can KC really expect much for him? We have plenty of bench guys to bring in as a defensive replacement for Francouer late in games.

Third, I had heard Denard Span had cleared waivers. True? Any comments about him as a possibility?

Lastly, I am nervous about lacking a set closer heading into a playoff run. Marmol cleared waivers and is due $9.8 million. Worth the gamble? He has pitched much better in the last month and I dont see the Cubs getting much for him either. We wont be paying big dollars for Brian Wilson next year after his injury and Affeldt comes off the books (however I am not opposed to bringing him back for a more reasonable deal), no need to spend cash on Melky. Adding Pence, Francouer and Marmol next year gets payroll likely to around $113 million without Pagan. I dont see us signing any other free agent next year. So Pagan around $7 mill tops gets you $120 mill and filling out the rest of the roster will keep payroll roughly to the $130mill level we had this year.

So thoughts on all these ideas? Check your comments out later…

• twinfan1 said, on August 21, 2012 at 2:17 pm

Marmol: No no no no.
      We have no way of knowing who might be blocked- the thing is- there’s only one bite allowed. Say Ross is claimed by AZ and they can’t work out a deal- it’s over for everybody. (That is my understanding ).
      Francouer: for free, yes.
      Span: has a great contract situation. Yes- depending on what the Twins would want- he won’t be cheap.
      Pagan: he’ll be looking for and getting at least 3 years at 8 mininum IMO. Possible, but I don’t see it happening.
      Closer: Before the year is out I think it will be Casilla again.

• blade3colorado said, on August 21, 2012 at 3:24 pm

Ditto on Marmol sucks . . . GH, where in the hell did that suggestion come from? He is the bane of all fantasy league teams. Remember, there are valid reasons why some players play for the Cubs, such as the usual one of being lousy.

24. eddacker said, on August 21, 2012 at 1:56 pm

I have 2 more thoughts after reading the rest of last night’s posts. to me Pablo’s lower half looks slimmer. I don’t think he has the full message about his weight. 2 hamate bone hooks were not weight related and he has a small excuse for the hammy. Maybe just maybe the lingering reminder of the hammy will get him to hear the message.
    I do not think I have seen this before, could Timmeh’s injury/downturn be related to the fact that he hasn’t iced his arm for several years now and it is catching up with his arm health/strength?

25. twinfan1 said, on August 21, 2012 at 1:56 pm

I guess Buster is playing first tonight. Belt can use a night off but it’s bizarre how they choose them. Blanton is the kind of guy he should have good success against…
    With all the LF talk- if they can get Hector down to winter ball to work on his hitting appproach, LF is probably a far better destination for Buster than any infield spot if they think of moving him, IMO. And Brown becomes a kid they can let learn up here…

Brown
    Scutaro or Noonan or Arias or Theriot- pick ‘em
    Panda
    Posey
    Pence
    Belt
    Sanchez
    Crawford

26. gianthead said, on August 21, 2012 at 1:57 pm

and even with all these potential moves, payroll for 2014 would still be all the way down to $40 mill….

• chipower9 said, on August 21, 2012 at 2:02 pm

And Cain, at 20.833 is half of that! There are a number of players who will be AE, etc.

27. chipower9 said, on August 21, 2012 at 1:59 pm

Interesting tidbit, found on ESPN nontheless:

“Clatyon Kershaw has the lowest career ERA against the Giants that any pitcher has against any single team in MLB history since 1920 — 1.32 going into tonight’s game, 1.39 now — but after going 5-0 with a 1.07 ERA against San Francisco last year, he is 1-3 despite a 1.74 ERA against the Giants this year.”

Fuck Kershaw and Fuck the Dodgers! Paw Rugg (Bumgarner) done opened up an industrial sized can of WHOOP-ASS on dem Bums!

28. unca_chuck said, on August 21, 2012 at 2:03 pm

They might as well put Belt in LF rather than Scooter. Buster in LF? Uh, no. Shit, break out those inner outfield, and outer outfield schemes. Buster is a quick as a lamppost. Balls will be whizzing by him all day.

• eddacker said, on August 21, 2012 at 2:23 pm

I thought they might when I heard Posey is at first tonight. Which Bochy talked about before yesterday’s game.

• twinfan1 said, on August 21, 2012 at 2:28 pm

If he’s not catching LF would be his best position. You are confusing speed and quickness. Anybody who could play college SS (he was an All-American there) can play MLB LF…Belt in LF- sure, when Buster is at first as tonight. Otherwise- no.

• unca_chuck said, on August 21, 2012 at 3:28 pm

Buster has neither . . . Obviously that’s what I meant, Twin. Belt should be at 1st and the times they put Buster at 1st, Belt goes to LF.

29. chipower9 said, on August 21, 2012 at 2:08 pm

A lot of folks lament about ESPN not giving the West (and especially our Giants) their due, but here is a piece I really enjoyed.

30. eddacker said, on August 21, 2012 at 2:21 pm

blade, thanx for the kind words last night, it didn’t last for long. My batters have been on cruise control all season, and we all have had the DL disease.

• blade3colorado said, on August 21, 2012 at 3:27 pm

Yeah, well they were well-deserved words. Flav thought the same thing too . . . You’ve really stepped up your game this year and everyone knows that. Good job! Umm . . . Just don’t get too good this year. I’m in 1st place bloke and I am not ready for the loo (toilet type, not DJ) just yet. :-)

31. blade3colorado said, on August 21, 2012 at 3:50 pm

This evening I am meeting another Flapper, ewisco (Eric) for dinner (Sushi) and drinks. Along with Chi and snarkk, that’s 3 Flappers I will have met via this blog. Both Chi and snarkk were excellent people and fervent Giants fans.

I am going to be in the SF bay area in late September through mid October. I expect two things: 1. To meet the “Numero Uno Flapper” AKA Big Flavor; and, 2. Continue watching the Giants play baseball, not golf – preferably actual attendance at a playoff game. :-)

• blade3colorado said, on August 21, 2012 at 4:04 pm

Unless of course, “I SELL CARS TOO” Selig has scheduled the playoffs for November time frame.

32. DJLoo said, on August 21, 2012 at 4:06 pm

Tim’s fallen so far that if he went 7 scoreless tonight with 12 K’s, I would still have doubts next time out…
    Right now it’s Bum & Cain and 3 days of rain…

• pawliekokonuts said, on August 21, 2012 at 4:48 pm

POTD, you friend of Johnny Sain.

33. unca_chuck said, on August 21, 2012 at 5:50 pm

Haven’t seen this yet:

Pagan, A, CF
    Scutaro, M, 2B
    Sandoval, P, 3B
    Posey, B, 1B
    Pence, H, RF
    Sanchez, H, C
    Blanco, G, LF
    Crawford, B, SS
    Lincecum, T, P

34. DJLoo said, on August 21, 2012 at 7:18 pm

BP-MVP

35. unca_chuck said, on August 21, 2012 at 7:31 pm

Ahhhh, finally looked it up. The Seals were going to be moved to Denver, but the deal fell through then they went to Cleveland Merged with the Minnesota North stars and became the Dallas Stars.

• DJLoo said, on August 21, 2012 at 7:40 pm

If someone had a little imagination they would’ve named ‘em the “Lone Stars”…

36. paulinasia said, on August 21, 2012 at 7:40 pm

Kinda quiet here considering there’s a Dogs-Giants game going on…. Don’t tell me everyone actually has a life away from the Flap? :-)

37. DJLoo said, on August 21, 2012 at 7:45 pm

Crazy Horse slides again!

38. Bozo said, on August 21, 2012 at 7:48 pm

Well the only Flap member (I think) of the North East coast of North Carolina is here Paul. Although, this clown is one tired chiwawa dressed in a tutu, so not sure how long I’ll last.

• paulinasia said, on August 21, 2012 at 8:01 pm

Helluva image there, Bozo, one I’ll choose not to picture for very long, thank you….. :-)

• Bozo said, on August 21, 2012 at 8:03 pm

Good call Paul.

39. Bozo said, on August 21, 2012 at 7:51 pm

Make em pay Pence, make em pay.

40. DJLoo said, on August 21, 2012 at 8:01 pm

Looks like Tim’s got his release point tonight…

• paulinasia said, on August 21, 2012 at 8:05 pm

Masters and Johnson wrote a book about release points, I think…..

41. DJLoo said, on August 21, 2012 at 8:09 pm

Hanley has reflexes like a corpse…

42. Bozo said, on August 21, 2012 at 8:10 pm

That’s why I like Blanco more than Christian.

43. DJLoo said, on August 21, 2012 at 8:11 pm

Very Matty Alou-ish hit by Crawford…

44. Bozo said, on August 21, 2012 at 8:17 pm

So I see we only have paulinasia, DJLooinny, and a fuckingclowninnc. I guess everyone else is enjoying the game but just drunk in the back of the nipper van.

• Nipper said, on August 21, 2012 at 8:28 pm

…burp…

45. paulinasia said, on August 21, 2012 at 8:22 pm

Yeah, interesting, huh. It’s kinda like going into your favorite pub, which is usually raucous and animated, loud music, the game on the TV in the corner…. but just a couple other bar flies like yourself leaning over their drinks peacefully pondering life in a glass….

• Nipper said, on August 21, 2012 at 8:29 pm

belch!

46. Bozo said, on August 21, 2012 at 8:29 pm

“but just a couple other bar flies like yourself leaning over their drinks peacefully pondering life in a glass….”

Paul, you don’t know me and yet, you do.

• paulinasia said, on August 21, 2012 at 8:32 pm

I guess I was projecting….

• DJLoo said, on August 21, 2012 at 8:33 pm

Way back when in Brooklyn bartenders would serve 14 year olds as long as they behaved. The old guys liked having me around because I didn’t mind climbing up on a stool to change the channel of the one B & W TV…

• pawliekokonuts said, on August 21, 2012 at 8:58 pm

Loo, that reminds me of Pete Hamill’s excellent A Drinking Life.

• paulinasia said, on August 21, 2012 at 8:33 pm

Well, at least we got an update or two from the van….

• Nipper said, on August 21, 2012 at 8:38 pm

yuk …yuk…yuk….yuk…

• DJLoo said, on August 21, 2012 at 8:42 pm

Stifle yourself, Nipper…

47. blade3colorado said, on August 21, 2012 at 8:36 pm

I just got back from dinner with Eric (ewisco) . . . I had a wonderful time and “wisco” is great raconteur. No idea he was a world class swimmer back in the 70s either. All in all, a true (substitute blue) orange and black Flapper.

More good news I see – Giants up 4-0. My world is perfect. :-)

• DJLoo said, on August 21, 2012 at 8:37 pm

ewisco owns racoons?

• blade3colorado said, on August 21, 2012 at 8:40 pm

lqtm. He brought 2 with him Loo.

• ewisco said, on August 21, 2012 at 9:24 pm

well, they pissed me off and they’re a coat now. very 1930′s.

48. willedav said, on August 21, 2012 at 8:40 pm

Looks like Hacker can relax and not worry about starting for at least another week.

49. Bozo said, on August 21, 2012 at 8:53 pm

Wow.

• Bozo said, on August 21, 2012 at 8:54 pm

And a huge belch from Nipper.

50. DJLoo said, on August 21, 2012 at 8:54 pm

Angel in the outfield!

• pawliekokonuts said, on August 21, 2012 at 8:56 pm

ba-doom

51. pawliekokonuts said, on August 21, 2012 at 8:54 pm

Fuckyeah, Hector. Nice block of the plate. #keeptheshutout

52. manny said, on August 21, 2012 at 8:54 pm

What a fucking play by Sanchez. Now Timmy needs to get his shit in gear.

53. pawliekokonuts said, on August 21, 2012 at 8:55 pm

Timmy torture.

54. paulinasia said, on August 21, 2012 at 8:56 pm

Focus, Timmy, focus. I was a little worried about him going out there this inning after not being able to sit in the dugout after his hit and standing over at first base…..

55. pawliekokonuts said, on August 21, 2012 at 8:56 pm

Big AB here w/ Matt Hemp.

56. Bozo said, on August 21, 2012 at 9:01 pm

Got em.

57. paulinasia said, on August 21, 2012 at 9:06 pm

Only 1 run out of all that, nice job. Mijares comes through.

• DJLoo said, on August 21, 2012 at 9:08 pm

Scrap-heap Sabean strikes again?

• pawliekokonuts said, on August 21, 2012 at 9:08 pm

He did. Scully said he is 28, signed at 18 by the Twins. He is not a young-looking 28.

58. pawliekokonuts said, on August 21, 2012 at 9:07 pm

Vin Scully on Pablo: “They tell me he can throw right-handed.” Doh. He keeps repeating it. Yes, Sandoval is ambidextrous, but the right-handed part is not exceptional. This — and because he labors — is why he is not the Vin Scully of old.

• DJLoo said, on August 21, 2012 at 9:11 pm

Once heard Bob Gamere re-cap a play by saying: “Brooks Robinson making another one of his patented one hand throws.”

• DJLoo said, on August 21, 2012 at 9:29 pm

Maybe it’s time for egotistical stubborn fuck to step aside and give someone else a chance…

59. DJLoo said, on August 21, 2012 at 9:13 pm

And 50 years later Giants/Dodgers on 10/03/12…

• Macdog said, on August 21, 2012 at 9:56 pm

51, actually.

60. paulinasia said, on August 21, 2012 at 9:20 pm

I really have only two gripes about some broadcasters. One is extreme homer-ism, no objectivity in their commentary. When I was visiting my parents in PA in June/July, I saw all 3 of those horrible games in Washington, listening to the Nats announcers. Painfully arrogant and condescending, and it made me really hope to see the Nats not translate their regular season prowess into playoff success. The other thing is when announcers make the call on a play before the result is known: “And that’s going to be a base hit to left”… going to be? Don’t call it before it happens; they’re often wrong. It was one thing I hated about listening to Jack Buck in his later years, nevermind his storied career: almost every call was “that’s gonna be” and he was wrong more than he was right… “play at the plate, and he’s gonna be out…. no, he’s safe!” Rrrrr…. very irritating. Unfortunately, listening to even some of the younger announcers these days, a lot of them do that. One thing I appreciate about Kuip, he rarely if ever does that.

61. ewisco said, on August 21, 2012 at 9:27 pm

rumor has it we’re in the 8th still up 4-1. Great meal with Blade. a credit to the flap. we’ll have to do it up brown when he hits town.

62. DJLoo said, on August 21, 2012 at 9:31 pm

The Flap is sure a great place to meet men…

• pawliekokonuts said, on August 21, 2012 at 9:47 pm

The Castro Post of the Day (TCPOTD).

63. unca_chuck said, on August 21, 2012 at 9:31 pm

Nice to see Casilla with 2 stress-free innings.

• DJLoo said, on August 21, 2012 at 9:35 pm

Ironically, he may have just pitched himself out of the closer role for good…

• paulinasia said, on August 21, 2012 at 9:36 pm

I’d still rather he close, but you could be right….

• paulinasia said, on August 21, 2012 at 9:35 pm

Yes, he’s performing well. Maybe ready to be closer again.

• twinfan1 said, on August 21, 2012 at 9:41 pm

He’s most likely pitching his way back in, you are right, Paul. Hope he does it tonight, but Sergio appears to be best setting up…

64. DJLoo said, on August 21, 2012 at 9:44 pm

Well it looks like Sergio’s auditioning for now…

• twinfan1 said, on August 21, 2012 at 9:47 pm

No, he’s being put out there because Casilla went 2. I think we’ll see Santiago back closing very soon. IMO.

65. paulinasia said, on August 21, 2012 at 9:46 pm

Agree that Romo is better for set up. Casilla looks ready to be mostly lights out again, which IMO is vital for the team heading into the last month.

66. tedspe said, on August 21, 2012 at 9:48 pm

DJLoo said, on August 21, 2012 at 9:31 pm
    The Flap is sure a great place to meet men…
    —————————————————————————-
    Knock your self out, sweetums

67. unca_chuck said, on August 21, 2012 at 9:49 pm

I think they REALLY want Casilla back inthe closer spot.

68. zumiee said, on August 21, 2012 at 9:50 pm

The Dodger fans aren’t booing. They’re saying “Boo-ree-bay.”

69. unca_chuck said, on August 21, 2012 at 9:51 pm

Yeah, the ‘doing it up brown’ comment was a little, er, uh, ooogy?

• tedspe said, on August 21, 2012 at 9:54 pm

ooogy, chuck?

• unca_chuck said, on August 21, 2012 at 9:57 pm

Sorry. Kind of an inside joke with the family . . .

• tedspe said, on August 21, 2012 at 10:02 pm

No need for a sorry, chuck. I was just being a..a..ted

70. Flavor said, on August 21, 2012 at 9:56 pm

Is Affeldt still on the team?

• tedspe said, on August 21, 2012 at 9:58 pm

And…no

71. tedspe said, on August 21, 2012 at 9:56 pm

Why am I thinking double play?

• DJLoo said, on August 21, 2012 at 9:58 pm

Cause you’re a genius!

• tedspe said, on August 21, 2012 at 9:59 pm

Oh yes. I always forget

72. tedspe said, on August 21, 2012 at 9:58 pm

Why am I right??!!

• zumiee said, on August 21, 2012 at 10:00 pm

Because you’re a mammal!

• tedspe said, on August 21, 2012 at 10:00 pm

Some mammals are lefties, zum

73. unca_chuck said, on August 21, 2012 at 9:58 pm

BINGO! BALLGAME!!!

What was that meaningless stat. GET THE FUCKING SWEEP!!!!!

74. Bozo said, on August 21, 2012 at 9:59 pm

Cheers to all on that one.

75. twinfan1 said, on August 21, 2012 at 10:00 pm

Three pretty big outs by a couple loogies- and some awesome “D”…

• paulinasia said, on August 21, 2012 at 10:02 pm

Right on to that. Shades of the brilliant use of the lefties in 2010 in Philly. And Affeldt didn’t even pitch tonight. So key to have those guys in the pen.

• twinfan1 said, on August 21, 2012 at 10:02 pm

Affeldt is used more to pitch to a few hitters – he’s hardly forgotten.

76. paulinasia said, on August 21, 2012 at 10:00 pm

Needed that double play because no way did we want HanRam to have another chance to beat us. Great win.

• twinfan1 said, on August 21, 2012 at 10:04 pm

Well, the DP was great- but even one out would have prevented him from beating us.

77. Salty said, on August 21, 2012 at 10:02 pm

closer by committee thing looking good ..Cain tomorrow. Should get the sweep!

• twinfan1 said, on August 21, 2012 at 10:07 pm

I’d be surprised if the comittee isn’t broken up soon.

• chipower9 said, on August 21, 2012 at 10:11 pm

Why do you say this Michael? Who will be the full-time closer? I just don’t see them having one person to do it. What am I missing?

• twinfan1 said, on August 21, 2012 at 10:15 pm

It will be Casilla again. Committee is only working because they’re deep. But they can’t keep using that many relievers late.

• chipower9 said, on August 21, 2012 at 10:26 pm

Don’t get me wrong…I agree that I would love to have a dedicated closer, but until the last couple of games…Casilla just has not given me much confidence.

• twinfan1 said, on August 21, 2012 at 10:37 pm

Unless you buy that they’ve been lying about the blister problem, he had been nails until then.

• paulinasia said, on August 21, 2012 at 10:15 pm

Casilla should be closer. Cement that vital role for good again, it just feels better that way.

78. Alleykat said, on August 21, 2012 at 10:02 pm

How about them Giants!! Kicking Ass Twice on those total losers from LA!! SWEET DP TO END IT!!
    Giants showing there the only real team thats gonna win the west.
    Matt Cain is gonna smoke.their asses for the SWEEP tomorrow.Orange&Black Rockin!

79. tedspe said, on August 21, 2012 at 10:05 pm

FUCK…YeeeeEEEEEiiiiAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

80. unca_chuck said, on August 21, 2012 at 10:07 pm

Crazy shit. The Dogs come in from an epic roadie, and we shut them the fuck down. Timmy wasn’t spectacular, but he kept Kemp in the yard when he needed to. Bochy was smart to pull him when he did.

Props to the D. Timmy has been a bit snakebit by weird plays behind him. Kudos.

81. chipower9 said, on August 21, 2012 at 10:08 pm

Okay…Pagan has been streaky this year, but with what went down with Melky, have any of you Flappers changed your tune re: signing Pagan for next year?

• twinfan1 said, on August 21, 2012 at 10:19 pm

Sure, if they could get him for just 2013, but they won’t. He’ll get 25-30 million and 3 years from somebody, IMO…

82. chipower9 said, on August 21, 2012 at 10:09 pm

Awesome fucking win. We owe their sorry asses for when they came into our yard last month and swept us. Time to pay ‘em back. Bust out those fucking brooms tomorrow

83. paulinasia said, on August 21, 2012 at 10:14 pm

Pagan has really stepped up lately when he had to take over the lead off spot, which I thought was critical, getting that spot going again after Blanco dropped out. If Angel continues like that through September, that’s golden and yes, perhaps puts him in the team’s focus for a contract. Whether he’ll ask for too much remains to be seen.

• twinfan1 said, on August 21, 2012 at 10:35 pm

September is yet to come, one of the cool things is never knowing which guys will step up. Or down. IMO, Panda and Pence are the keys offensively. But you never know.

84. twinfan1 said, on August 21, 2012 at 10:24 pm

He’s getting about 5 million now, and has salvaged his rep-as I said above, I see no way he doesn’t get at least 3 years at 8 or 9 million per. Melky’s fuck up could tempt them, though.

85. twinfan1 said, on August 21, 2012 at 10:25 pm

GNight.

86. DJLoo said, on August 21, 2012 at 10:34 pm

Is the schedule especially fucked up this season? Nine games with AZ in September…

• Macdog said, on August 21, 2012 at 10:40 pm

Wait ’til next year with the interleague games all season.

• chipower9 said, on August 21, 2012 at 10:50 pm

Beats the fuck outta doing an east coast 12 game roadie…farthest the Giants travel rest of the year is Chicago.

87. DJLoo said, on August 21, 2012 at 10:38 pm

I would love to see Romo step up and take over the closer role for the next 5 years. When he’s on he’s got that one unhittable pitch like Mariano who was an 8th inning guy behind Wetteland for a year. Needs to develop the mental part…

• Nipper said, on August 21, 2012 at 10:44 pm

I bet Loo doesn’t eat sushi.

• DJLoo said, on August 21, 2012 at 10:50 pm

You are correct, Nip…

• chipower9 said, on August 21, 2012 at 10:51 pm

I could see that. That frisbee slider, when on…is un-fucking-hittable.

• xoot said, on August 21, 2012 at 11:02 pm

Romo doesn’t have the stamina. He’s a righty specialist, and three RHs in a row can wear him out (e.g., HanRam last night). Don’t get me wrong. I greatly admire El Commandante. But he’s not built to be a closer. I think he has the mental make-up to do just about anything; he’s just not a brawny guy.

• twinfan1 said, on August 21, 2012 at 11:53 pm

Not going to happen.

• twinfan1 said, on August 21, 2012 at 11:54 pm

That was adressing that Romo might be a future closer.

88. zumiee said, on August 21, 2012 at 10:54 pm

Tomorrow the teams go “old school,” with the 3:00 start time. Back in the days of mostly day games, 3:00 was the typical start time. So, extra-inning games would sometimes get suspended because of darkness. And if it turned out that the games weren’t going to affect the Pennant race, then they were left as ties, which is how the Giants/Dodgers franchise record against each other had those ties that Chuck mentioned.

89. paulinasia said, on August 21, 2012 at 10:57 pm

And not long after my 9:20pm post ragging on announcers for calling a play before it has happened or concluded (“and he’s gonna be out…. no, he’s safe!”) and praising Kuip for not doing it very often, he went and did it on that 6th inning play: “And that’s going to score Ellis….”… Um, no it’s not. Stop doing that….

• paulinasia said, on August 21, 2012 at 10:58 pm

Actually, I don’t know if that play happened before or after my post, I’m commenting on seeing and hearing the reply now after the game is over…. But still.

• paulinasia said, on August 21, 2012 at 11:06 pm

that word would be “replay”….

90. zumiee said, on August 21, 2012 at 10:58 pm

Well, the Phillies gave out those Hunter Pence bobbleheads today. They included a note thanking the fans for not throwing them on the field, or something like that.

91. Salty said, on August 21, 2012 at 11:07 pm

Game is at 3 tomorrow???

• twinfan1 said, on August 21, 2012 at 11:39 pm

No. Same as tonight, 7:10, as per MLB.COM and the team website.

92. TedSpe said, on August 21, 2012 at 11:09 pm

I’m shocked. xoot’s back!!!
    Welcome back, counselor

93. Sportdude said, on August 21, 2012 at 11:10 pm

Paulasia..
    Yankee announcer last weekend..
    “It is high! It is far! it’s caught on the track”.. GRR

Great to get a sweep, but you know how we do in these situations. Lets hope we buck the trend..

94. twinfan1 said, on August 21, 2012 at 11:23 pm

Kuip called Belt’s drive a HR the other night…
    Dude: an interloper made a BFD about our conversation about the sweep thing. No one disagrees that a sweep would be good- but whatever happens tomorrow night, we’re leaving LA with a lead and all of us agree that as long as we end the season that way, we could give a flying fuck how it was achieved…

• zumiee said, on August 22, 2012 at 6:56 am

Someone raised the point that the Giants have a hard time finishing out sweeps, and whether is means anything in particular. I think the main thing is that it means, as of now, the Giants are not a great team. There is still a chance for greatness to be achieved, though.

95. eddacker said, on August 22, 2012 at 1:50 am

Affeldt’s Mrs. is expecting soon, so he may be gone from the team for a couple of days. Hence his ‘mostly on the sideline’ status.

96. zumiee said, on August 22, 2012 at 6:58 am

Oops- I was wrong about a 3:00 start. That must be just a replay of last night’s game. Sorry about that!

97. Salty said, on August 22, 2012 at 7:16 am

Thanks for the clarification. I was all set to call in sick.

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 452 other followers