Sit Back, Put Your Feet Up, And…

Posted in Uncategorized by chipower9 on August 24, 2012

Okay, the common thread that we all share is our huge love of the best damned game on the planet, and discussing not only that game, but specifically our beloved San Francisco Giants. And in our daily banter about a multitude of topics (life and baseball – is there more?) one of the things that we regularly hash-out is what types of moves Sabes and the Giant’s brain trust (Bobby Evans, Dick Tidrow, etc.) should make to strengthen the team.

So, with that, I ask you to sit your ass in that big leather executive chair, kick back with your feet on the desk, light a big stogie (if you are so inclined), put your GM hat on, and give us your spin. Today, you are the GM of the Giants.

I was originally going to base my thread on “should the Giants seriously consider signing Pagan to a multi-year deal?” (I posed this question very late a few nights back and it got almost no traffic and I then posted it again the following day.) But then Baggarly and just about every other swinging dick who writes for any of the local rags stole my thunder (bastards!). But I still see value in discussing this topic, and broaden it to be:

“If you were the GM, what types of changes do you make for the remainder of this season, and then, looking ahead, what might you do with 2013 in mind?”

But first there is the topic of Pagan. Michael was one of the few who offered feedback on my question as to whether or not the team should consider signing Pagan to a multi-year deal. Basically (and I paraphrase) he said that this decision should wait until year’s-end. I agree, but still I think we can discuss how seriously, based on the “here and now – today” this should be considered. With that question in mind, I post Pagan’s career and 2012 numbers:

So, while Angel has been extremely hot of late, I get it…most teams would not entertain a long-term deal at this juncture of the season, and really, neither would the player. But still, given what you have seen…what is your gut “right now?” Do you think the team should seriously consider a multi-year deal for Pagan? If so, what are the parameters? Three years? Less? More? How about average salary?

Another area that I feel has become suspect lately is the bullpen (this has been kicked-around off-and-on here over the past number of weeks). So the pen is certainly an area that I would look to make upgrades to for the remainder of this year (Hensley, for example, just makes me nervous as hell), and also for next year. If you agree…who do you feel needs to be swapped-out…what changes need to be made to bolster the bullpen?

So, what says YOU? You are THE MAN for the day…what other things would you do to strengthen the team for the stretch-run, and also for next year?

______________________________________________

Flavor, watching the Giants game:

About these ads

1. Bozo said, on August 24, 2012 at 9:02 pm

Good play Scutaro.

2. WilcoJoe said, on August 24, 2012 at 9:06 pm

I am tempted to go to bed…Since I started going to bed during West Coast games when the Giants have the lead, they have yet to lose a single game…Their literally like 10-0 during my streak.

• Flavor said, on August 24, 2012 at 9:16 pm

or you could just remember that jinxes and other similar fake stuff isn’t real. Go to sleep if you’re tired or you have to do something earlier tomorrow but don’t bail on the game because of a jinx thing!

3. Bozo said, on August 24, 2012 at 9:06 pm

Angel’s got a tri-cycle going.

4. twinfan1 said, on August 24, 2012 at 9:23 pm

Never did get my nap. Good time to watch from bed.

5. Nipper said, on August 24, 2012 at 9:25 pm

Vogie did his job.

6. Flavor said, on August 24, 2012 at 9:27 pm

Voggy re-gathered himself and got into the 7th with a WHIP under 1.00 for the game. Not bad.
    I’ll say this negative thing about him though: I’m a big *eye contact guy*. There are few better ways to disrespect a man than to not give him eye contact during an interaction. I know it happens a lot with pitchers coming off the mound but Voggy is basically telling Bochy to *go fuck himself* when he doesn’t make eye contact with him even once as he’s getting pulled.
    I just think it’s a little lame, that’s all.
    Maybe that’s just me…
    I should have said “in my opinion.”………..

7. willedav said, on August 24, 2012 at 9:33 pm

i love casilla’s breaking ball, it’s unhittable down there and a thing of beauty.

8. WilcoJoe said, on August 24, 2012 at 9:37 pm

One of these days Kruk’s gonna slip and finally say “wild hair up his ass.”

• Nipper said, on August 24, 2012 at 9:46 pm

And you’ll enjoy it immensely.

9. paulinasia said, on August 24, 2012 at 9:40 pm

Just weighing in with quick thoughts on the plethora of topics here today….
    * I believe in having a solid lead-off hitter who makes things happen, ala Torres in ’10, Blanco earlier this year, and now Pagan, thankfully stepping up huge as has been mentioned. Yes, I bring Pagan back. Maybe you’re tempting the no-motivation factor after receiving a good contract, but I don’t think so; the man might actually have some pride and want to build a good career at last.
    * I also believe in having a set closer (if you’ve actually got someone who can do it). I think it sets the whole bullpen, everyone knows their roles, and if there’s any role in baseball for which that is helpful, it’s in the pen. Lately they all look scattershot and unfocused, without defined roles (IMO). Casilla should be the closer, I think the blister was the problem, and I think Bochy (who said yesterday that Casilla has joined the closer committee) should cut that crap and name him the closer, thus allowing the rest of the pen to settle in.
    * I would also like to see Bochy “go with the hot hand” more often. I am not criticizing him, I love Bochy, but this is what I would like to see. After Arias’ monster night, he sits for 2 games for Crawford (matchups, I know, but weren’t some of Arias’ hits off righties?).
    * Dodgers don’t care about clubhouse chemistry. If that trade is made, it likely will help them.
    * And therefore, Sabean will have to counter it, which I think we all have been thinking he was going to try to do anyway. Pence was never thought to be the savior for this offense. He was brought in as a good complementary piece, which fell apart as a concept with the Melky fuckup. Need another piece.
    * Yes, that trade will likely help the Dogs, but SF’s pitching, top to bottom, will still rule the day. Offense just needs to do enough.

• Nipper said, on August 24, 2012 at 9:45 pm

BLEEP the Dogs.

10. Bozo said, on August 24, 2012 at 9:55 pm

LOOGY

• paulinasia said, on August 24, 2012 at 9:59 pm

Yeah, Lopez is unreal. Never a concern when he comes in.

11. paulinasia said, on August 24, 2012 at 10:00 pm

So who closes out the 9th? I’d rather see Casilla than anyone else. Oops. Let Lopez try to finish?

12. Bozo said, on August 24, 2012 at 10:10 pm

Hell Yeah.

13. Macdog said, on August 24, 2012 at 10:11 pm

Sweet! 5 in a row, matches longest win streak of the season.

14. TedSpe said, on August 24, 2012 at 10:12 pm

That’s MY!!!! GIANTS!!!!

15. Salty said, on August 24, 2012 at 10:12 pm

Pen did their job. Bochy managed it beautifully.

16. TedSpe said, on August 24, 2012 at 10:14 pm

YEAH, BABY, YEAH!!!!
    5 in a row starting pitchers with…wait for it…WINS!!!!

17. zumiee said, on August 24, 2012 at 10:16 pm

That’s a real nice win to answer back any kind of momentum the Dodgers were trying to get tonight, with their trade and their win.

18. TedSpe said, on August 24, 2012 at 10:17 pm

“When I come hoooome to San Francisco; Your Golden Sun will shine on meeeeeeee!!!!”

19. ewisco said, on August 24, 2012 at 10:25 pm

the “committee” thing ( or is it *committee*, someone asked that once i don’t remember what the answer was) is not the best thing. part of the bullpen’s struggle is the lack of defined roles. I would love to see casilla be the guy. blister? who knows.

20. Nipper said, on August 24, 2012 at 10:28 pm

BLEEP YES!

21. Salty said, on August 24, 2012 at 10:31 pm

Well, it seems to be working. Match ups tonight favored going with Lopez. If McCann had got aboard, I don’t know what Bochy was going to do with Uggla. Hensley?

22. TedSpe said, on August 24, 2012 at 10:58 pm

Well, I just have to say this.
    Nice win.
    But one thing’s been getting on my nerves.
    For years now. And I apologize for ranting but…

Nipper. Your BLEEP.
    Your fucking BLEEP. It’s really working my nerves. Has been for a while but I felt now was the time to say something.

Your whole motherfucking, fuckwad,fuck troll, fuckface, fuckitall, bat fuck, ass fuck, pity fuck, fuckhead, fuckswine, titty fuck, mouth fuck, sorry fuck, fucking excuse for a man,fuck. Fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fucking……….BLEEP.
    It’s almost as annoying as my fucking signoff. Fucking almost.

Goodnight, gentlemen (question mark)

(gay-ass-smiley-face)

fuck

• unca_chuck said, on August 24, 2012 at 11:28 pm

You forgot skull=fuck, so fuck you, you fucking fuck.

Ted, Nip dropped a couple f-bombs on my blog. I about had a bleeping heart attack.

Just watching the game. Nice hit by Pablo, but holy fuck. He’s 280 if he’s a pound.

• TedSpe said, on August 24, 2012 at 11:30 pm

You’re right, chuck. I forgot skull fuck.
        How could I have been so remiss? Well, it’s late…that’s my only excuse

• Flavor said, on August 25, 2012 at 4:38 am

I was going to moderate this with a *delete* but I couldn’t figure out specifically why I was going to do so. So I didn’t. :)

23. eddacker said, on August 24, 2012 at 11:28 pm

HIEY! wake up, but don’t spoil it I just saw the first pitch and I learned a new word:
    FUNDO as in (do the) fundamentals

24. eddacker said, on August 24, 2012 at 11:29 pm

and the trade rumours? 230 million, a top prospect, wow. This must be how the TB Rays feel

25. TedSpe said, on August 24, 2012 at 11:35 pm

And if it we’re gonna go there….

• TedSpe said, on August 24, 2012 at 11:46 pm

This scene crosses the borderline but redeems itself when he tells the stupid white guy “Shut up, pussy!!” (which he am) and relents…
      Great scene
      As my girlfriend signs off in text messages (and it took me forever to figure out what she meant)

26. unca_chuck said, on August 24, 2012 at 11:56 pm

“Get yer ofay patty ass off the road”

Is that an eye-roll, Ted?

• TedSpe said, on August 25, 2012 at 12:27 am

yup

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 452 other followers