He who laughs first . . .

Posted in Uncategorized by ewisco on August 25, 2012

It’s been my impression that there is a significant difference when the giants score first. So, I looked into it. When the giants score first, they are 49-16. When the opponent scores first, they (the opponent) are 39-21. The giants have scored 84 runs in the first inning to the opponents 72. When the giants are ahead after 1, they are 33-5 and when they are behind 7-22. The giants are 4-49 when losing after 7. I think it’s pretty obvious that when the white shark (early in the year) and now pagan are hot in the 1 hole, the whole offense works better. maybe that’s the definition of obvious. so, score early, score often.

Not a bad way to go through life. Unless it’s one of the undead . . .

About these ads

1. eddacker said, on August 25, 2012 at 7:17 am

Great game last night. It seems obvious to me that the Giants are at an advantage when they score via moving on the base paths. I thought how earlier in the season we would have been screaming about men left on base, especially with the bases loaded. With runs scored during other at bats and with men on base being a common occurrence we do not worry so much. Instead of the doomer comments of RISP problems we are blessed to be getting runners on base and *confident* they will be scoring. so it is forgiven, knowing if we score early OR later we have a great chance of winning with our pitching. As I watched the two HRs by the Braves in the first two innings my first thoughts were UH OH, we didn’t score first, but that did not matter and we scored later. So even if we are not laughing first we can be cheering when this team starts running the bases.

2. Bozo said, on August 25, 2012 at 7:20 am

Speaking of scoring early, a tip of the cap to ewisco for a post early enough for the coffee club.

From last night thread, I have to say ted’s rant towards the nipper bleep was funny. But this reply from flav
    “Flavor said, on August 25, 2012 at 4:38 am (Edit)

I was going to moderate this with a *delete* but I couldn’t figure out specifically why I was going to do so. So I didn’t. :)

Really cracked me up.

Score early and score often!

• TedSpe said, on August 25, 2012 at 1:29 pm

Yeah, that cracked me up as well. It was all in good humor

3. blade3colorado said, on August 25, 2012 at 7:41 am

“When the Giants score first, they are 49-16.”

In life, when I have “scored first,” it has resulted in a marriage or relationship doomed to divorce/breakup. Since I am single right now, I guess you could say I am looking for my first win in this category. :-)

4. willedav said, on August 25, 2012 at 7:42 am

Too bad scoring first didn’t help the marlins last night. Reyes homered off Barbs for a 2-0 lead and then they gave 6 runs back in 3 innings and LA spanked them 11-4.
    As to the committee, like it or not, bochy’s rolling with it. when he yanked vogs in the 7th, in came mijares but after he gave up the hit to McCann, he was gone. Casilla was in to finish the inning, and unfortunately his turn at bat came up. As hot as Pagan has been, two outs craw on first bochy hits for casilla with theriot in a 5-3 game. We’ve all seen casilla ABs, and it’s hard to fault bochy for trying to get more insurance, even tho that meant no more casilla.
    So it’s romo in the 8th and lopez vs. the LH heyward (brutal K) for the 4 out save. Today/tmw it might be different, but with all those LHs in the middle that can whack–heyward freeman mccann (plus chipper as switch hitter, whom lopez got out batting RH)–bochy used casilla early and then romo vs. lower part of the order and bourn/prado.

5. Flavor said, on August 25, 2012 at 7:46 am

I think the *score first* thing is a bigger mental challenge for our opponent than anything it does for our team. Knowing you are already down in the first inning against this rock sold pitching staff has got to be a mental burden. And I suspect that our *5* are so used to pitching in tight games that they take the same mindset out there whether they are up/down/tied and just go out and dominate….
    It’s going to be interesting to see who gets left off the post season roster (assuming we win the West). Here is our W/L record for the team when each starter pitches….

Stoney– 9-17
    Barry– 14-11
    Horse–16-9
    Voggy– 15-7
    Bum– 16-9

6. Flavor said, on August 25, 2012 at 7:50 am

I”ll say this about Casilla: He looks far more relaxed out there in the 7th inning than he ever did closing a game. He’s not twitching and rushing his delivery (like he appeared to do when he closed). And Bochy has made many negative public comments on KNBR about things that displeased him about Casilla’s approach to pitching. I wonder if Bochy thinks he’s more suited for a set up role?

7. WilcoJoe said, on August 25, 2012 at 8:07 am

I was taking a look at MLB closers that could be had on the waiver wire…Would anyone take on Jonathan Papelbon and his contract? Better yet, would the Dodgers block the move? Other than Papelbon, I don’t see any other potential relievers the Giants could snag, that the Bums would block first.

• Flavor said, on August 25, 2012 at 8:20 am

at this point, I don’t see the team making a move for a closer for one main reason: they wouldn’t want to upset the current group of BP guys. They are a close knit group that takes a lot of pride in how they stuck together and got through the Wilson-loss by not just surviving but succeeding.
      You bring in a *Papelbon* and Romo/Affeldt/etc would probably be like “fuck that.”

• blade3colorado said, on August 25, 2012 at 8:22 am

Joe, closers are always a crapshoot and in my opinion, I would rely in-house on closers and closers in waiting. We have an excellent relief staff that during the year has had some ups and downs, but I look at other teams closers that were lights out as recently as last year and it gives me pause, e.g., Bell, Bailey, Waldon, Axford, Farnsworth, etc. (I probably could have listed 4-5 others, but their names escape me).

• Wilcojoe said, on August 25, 2012 at 8:39 am

Good point guys and I tend to agree… Really I think we should be more concerned about the rotation…on paper our 3-5 looks better than the Bums, but I have zero faith in Zito and Timmy…I think Blanton and Beckett win that matchup.

8. Flavor said, on August 25, 2012 at 8:26 am

this is from mlbtraderumors.com (ps I am LQTMing to myself while I type this):
    8:19am: If there was any doubt remaining that the Dodgers’ new ownership group would drastically alter the franchise, it has now been officially eliminated. The Dodgers and Red Sox have completed a massive nine-player blockbuster trade that will send Josh Beckett, Adrian Gonzalez, Carl Crawford, and Nick Punto to Los Angeles for James Loney and four prospects, reports Michael Silverman of The Boston Herald. Dan Roche of WBZ appears to have first reported completion of the trade (on Twitter).

The four prospects are expected to be Allen Webster, Ivan De Jesus, Jerry Sands, and Rubby De La Rosa. The Red Sox will pay just $12MM of the over $270MM owed to Beckett, Crawford, Gonzalez, and Punto according to Silverman. Adding the four new players represents a substantial financial commitment by the Dodgers:

9. Flavor said, on August 25, 2012 at 8:31 am

Comments from David Ortiz about the trade:
    “I think they’re looking to put the ballclub in a better situation next year. I’m not saying that we’re going to be in a better situation without those players. We’re about to find out.”
    Ortiz knows it, he’s half way saying it with this quote: The Red Sox have gotten rid of 3 shitty attitude/me-first/money driven players, they have ditched 260 million in payroll and they even got a few prospects out of the deal. It’s unreal that The Dodgers could be so fucking stupid to WANT to do this thing.

• blade3colorado said, on August 25, 2012 at 8:39 am

I’m down with that analysis too. Bums just bought another team’s problems. Bring it fuckwads.

• blade3colorado said, on August 25, 2012 at 8:59 am

One other point – Crawford has missed most of this season with the arm problem. Does anyone truly believe he will be available next year in lieu of Tommy John surgery? Almost laughable that this guy is salvageable. Besides that, he wasn’t that good anyway. Fucker will be 33-34 when he is in uniform again.

10. Macdog said, on August 25, 2012 at 9:17 am

Game on, BumFucks. The only one I’m worried about is Gonzalez, a major upgrade over Loney. But that’ll make it all the more satisfying when he strikes out against Lopez late in a big game.

11. twinfan1 said, on August 25, 2012 at 9:30 am

A rather massive misunderstanding about “closer by committee”- the idea really isn’t to have to use all of them almost every night. As much as I’ve defended Hensley as a 5th or 6th reliever- if he’s warming up to close ( he was coming in if it went to Uggla), it is not a good thing ( he already he had to get the final out once after others failed. We’re getting a little too close to Kevin Bacon closing. ). Too often, our committee is just taking turns bailing each other out.Bochy is a master- but at a certain point, some simple math will come into play- the more pitchers used, the more likely one of them with fuck it all up. Whatever he says now, he will not stay with the current set up long. IMO, of course.

• DJLoo said, on August 25, 2012 at 9:54 am

Anybody have the energy to look up how the Reds rationed out the “Nasty Boys” in 1990? I don’t….

12. twinfan1 said, on August 25, 2012 at 9:53 am

On the trade: I’m not as dismissive as some about it. Even if Gonzales really turned out to be the only upgrade for them, that’s a big one. With that said, this will make beating them even sweeter…

• DJLoo said, on August 25, 2012 at 10:02 am

It can’t be dismissed. That is a pretty awesome foursome in the middle of that lineup…

13. DJLoo said, on August 25, 2012 at 10:00 am

Where’s DMD on Travers Day? As you all should know I am hideous in Triple Crown races but I am the undisputed king of the Travers. So this year I will give my highly respected lukewarm endorsement to Liason (#9) to pull off the minor upset at about 7-1 in this year’s dreadful but wide open renewal …

14. DJLoo said, on August 25, 2012 at 10:19 am

The July 31st MLB trade deadline now has the credibility of a Brett Favre retirement announcement…

• Flavor said, on August 25, 2012 at 10:30 am

that’s a great point– it’s not just for the buyers to add a piece or two to the puzzle but it’s a chance for former buyers (who has buyer’s remorse) to ditch payroll.

15. Flavor said, on August 25, 2012 at 10:25 am

On pure numbers, of course A-Gon is an upgrade. And maybe getting out of Boston will revive and focus him. But he WAS one of the guys fingered last year in Chicken/beer-gate and he was totally involved (if not the driving force since many reports say the dastardly text came from his phone) with the attempted coup of B-Val’s job earlier this month.
    I also would argue that throwing 6 brand new players into a starting LU (HanRam and Victorino plus the 4 from Boston) as September is about to start is the WRONG way to go about building team chemistry. There are a lot of holes in this *plan* the Dodgers are taking to trying to buy the West crown…….

16. Flavor said, on August 25, 2012 at 10:28 am

I’ve been trying to think of something that would compare to this idiotic, brainless spending spree that the Dodgers are going on and I came up with this. Fast forward to about the 48 second point and watch a couple of minutes of it……

17. twinfan1 said, on August 25, 2012 at 10:42 am

Can’t speak for others, I’ve never said or thought this was a good trade in the long term for them . And whether it works even short term is not known- by any of us. I do agree that the deal is a corruption of the spirit of the waiver wire process- and it would be regardless of the teams involved- SF included.

18. Flavor said, on August 25, 2012 at 10:46 am

And what do the current Dodgers think about this total team overhaul? Are Kemp and Ethier cool with it? There are a lot of team chemistry variables to consider and that won’t be known until they throw all these strangers into the same LU. It’s not like they get to figure it all out in spring training games…….
    And, I’m sorry, but Beckett has sucked this year. He’s gonna show up in LA totally stoked and ready to go—to the strip joints. LA’s starting pitching, besides Kershaw, sucks.

19. Flavor said, on August 25, 2012 at 10:49 am

Lately, there has been more inappropriate back and forth again- what I wanted to avoid with the new format. I want to be clear about a few things- Michael is nearly always cited as the instigator of any unpleasantness and it’s obvious that he has a fair share of blame he must bear- but it’s wrong that he’s been singled out to the near total exclusion of others who contribute to this. If any of you feel a commenter is out of line- report it to me, this is not a soap box for any of you to take off on another user. I will take care of it if the situation warrants my action. Finally, I’ve seen many, including myself, attempt to make Twin the scapegoat for me turning the blog over. That was not fair- too often what should have been a short disagreement turned into an endless and off putting bitch fest. I’ve been as guilty of that as anybody. So let’s all examine how we conduct ourselves. Ed noted how the blog numbers are up with the Dodger rivalry and what has usually been some excellent commentary. Let’s keep it way. Thank you.

20. Flavor said, on August 25, 2012 at 10:53 am

also, Twin’s been added back to The Stable, at his request. He goes after Edd (author schedule is listed to the right)

• eddacker said, on August 25, 2012 at 11:09 am

welcome back twin, great to know you are gonna be posting behind me.

• twinfan1 said, on August 25, 2012 at 11:39 am

It looks like I have a few days to come up with something.I might look into waiver wire abuse more closely. Whether the Dodgers spent wisely is irrelevant- the fact that they are reportedly taking on 95 percent of the salaries from the Red Sox just reconfirms that the playing field is crooked- even with a process that claims to prevent exactly what this trade achieved.

• TedSpe said, on August 25, 2012 at 1:30 pm

Glad to have you back, twin. But I knew it was temporary anyway

21. SanDawg said, on August 25, 2012 at 11:05 am

I’m sick about this trade and am having Fred McGriff flashbacks. I don’t care about the Dodgers adding salary and I don’t think they do either. Bottom line, they are adding yet another superstar to their team. The commissioner ought to block this deal—all it is is Boston giving the Dodgers Gonzalez to take the other 2 salaries off their hands. That’s messed up and only an extreme deep pockets team like LA can do a deal like that. I didn’t read yesterday’s thread real closely, but I think Pawlie compared it to Charlie O selling off players in the 70’s—-which I think is a valid comparison. I also don’t buy A Gone as one of the chicken wing and beer guys—I caught his act down here in SD for several years and everything he did here showed him to be a class guy and great teammate.
    I ABSOLUTELY FUCKING HATE that SOMEHOW LA always ends up with the superstar whether its Dwight Howard, Wayne Gretzky, Wilt, Jabbar, Magic Johnson, Manny, Kobe, Hanley, AGone, and they rarely seem to have to pay much of a price or take much risk in the process. And YES, as a matter of fact, I am a conspiracy guy on this topic and totally believe that in some of these deals some shady league office crap went down that funneled the superstar to the huge west coast media market.
    I’ts total bullshit and I think we’re fucked.

• DJLoo said, on August 25, 2012 at 11:09 am

You left out Dieter Brock…

• sandog said, on August 25, 2012 at 12:18 pm

…and I wanted to include a Ram or 2 on the list. Namath crossed my mind, but he was done at that point. Eric Dickerson maybe? Norm Van Brocklin? John Hadl? Ollie Matson?

• eddacker said, on August 25, 2012 at 11:11 am

I can agree on the shady office crap: like a well hidden clause where the Red Sox agree: we will not trade Ross back to SF.

• Nipper said, on August 25, 2012 at 11:12 am

Giants should just keep winning. Problem solved.Dodgers are willing to take on salary and Boston is more than willing to give it to them. This was a trade that was bound to happen.

• Flavor said, on August 25, 2012 at 11:12 am

we aren’t fucked Diggity. And I recognize I could turn out to be wrong about this. We were supposedly fucked after they got HanRam and Victorino and I think (though don’t have the time to look it up) that we’ve put 2 or 3 games on them since those deals went down.
      Now, I’m out for a bit. Later.

• twinfan1 said, on August 25, 2012 at 11:15 am

I referenced the Laker thing a few days ago, I agree. Much of this just seems like a way to get the Dodgers returned to a competitive status to boost the media market you just spoke to. I’ve always said that a healthy SF-LA rivalry was good for the game- rigging one is NOT good.

• twinfan1 said, on August 25, 2012 at 11:16 am

But I still think we’ll beat ‘em…

22. eddacker said, on August 25, 2012 at 11:07 am

Amazing the amount of money LA is spending, with most of it debt. They look like they are following the Amazon plan: as long as we continue to put a team on the field eventually we will make some money and start to pay off the debt. I can’t be looking up last year’s salary commitments, but next year it will be $194M. One dies (as Boston leaves the big spender club) another is born. (and boston may be back soon)
    Gonzales was not happy in Boston, he should be a great add for the dogers over Loney; who is a rental for the Sox. Allen is reported to be a top pitching prospect; a 2 or a 3. Crawford has had surgery and may be back next season and will be earning millions until he is retirement age.
    Beckett and HanRam both are known clubhouse question marks.

this “blockbuster” may turn out to have less impact for the Gmen then losing that player they got for Dirrrty.

23. eddacker said, on August 25, 2012 at 11:25 am

OK, if anybody is smart and has the time, the place to be is Williamsport ’cause, today are the League Championship games. Winner of Japan v Panama represents the Int’l League in the LLWS Championship game tomorrow. They are playing now.
    Next up is the USA League game with Tennessee v California (ie Petaluma) and it starts around noon thirty pdt
    Tennessee made it to the league championship game with a 3-0 record. California comes in with a 4-1 record the only lost was to Goodlettsville, Tenn.
    On paper Petaluma is the better team. Looking at intangibles Goodlettsville probably is. Plus they already have the one win head to head.
    Should be a good game ESPN is showing it in 3D (I knew you would ask, Flav)

*May interfere with the home team broadcast.

24. eddacker said, on August 25, 2012 at 11:47 am

Angel Pagan CF
    Marco Scutaro 2B
    Pablo Sandoval 3B
    Buster Posey C
    Hunter Pence RF
    Joaquin Arias SS
    Brandon Belt 1B
    Francisco Peguero LF
    Madison Bumgarner P

all apologies if someone already posted this.

Astros outfielder Steve Pearce is drawing interest from the Giants, who are looking for someone who hits left-handed pitching.

• SanDawg said, on August 25, 2012 at 12:13 pm

Who the F is Steve Pearce? At this point, they may as well as bring in Stephen Pearcy to play LF for all the difference it’s going to make it.
      Alright, that’s it—no more Doomer comments from me—I said my piece and I’ll leave it at that. I’ll still be tuned in with my IPad in one hand and a Miller High Life in the other rooting for the Orange and Black.

..and If any of you knows who Stephen Pearcy is without googling it, you get a gold star for the day.

• twinfan1 said, on August 25, 2012 at 12:26 pm

Weren’t we warned about Burning Ratt posts ;-)
        OK, I googled. Can I have a cardboard star ?

• twinfan1 said, on August 25, 2012 at 12:38 pm

I remember Pearce from when he was with Pittsburgh when he played 1B, I thought about how Ishikawa would be such an upgrade. So we’re interested in a guy with no pop, doesn’t steal bases, been with 4 teams just this year. Can we look a little lower in the trash heap ?

• eddacker said, on August 25, 2012 at 12:42 pm

But he hits left handed pitching, and he does it good. and he is 29, I wonder if he wears his socks high?

• twinfan1 said, on August 25, 2012 at 1:21 pm

Yeah, I know. Look, if he’s free it sounds fine. Just seems there’s a LITTLE more to aspire to.

• Robbie Lou said, on August 25, 2012 at 1:28 pm

Shocked to see Pence behind Posey. Don’t get that one?

25. eddacker said, on August 25, 2012 at 12:02 pm

Japan will be in tomorrow’s WS game and look uber tough – great pitching and 5 homers in today’s game against Panama.

26. eddacker said, on August 25, 2012 at 12:38 pm

from the MLB pre-game story: The Giants’ five-game winning streak matches their longest of the season. They last won five straight from July 13-18. The Braves snapped the streak with a 3-2 win, beating the Giants and Bumgarner in Atlanta.

27. eddacker said, on August 25, 2012 at 12:39 pm

Well, the game starts in a few, but on TMC is the Magnificent Seven. I am spoilt for choice tonight.

• TedSpe said, on August 25, 2012 at 1:23 pm

Tough choice

28. eddacker said, on August 25, 2012 at 12:45 pm

Aw, snap!
    Neil Armstrong, commander of Apollo 11 and the first man to ever set foot on the moon, died to today at age 82 due to complications from his heart surgery three weeks prior.

bummer, he was only an astronaut, but one more is gone. A hero for the history books.

• TedSpe said, on August 25, 2012 at 1:26 pm

Bummer indeed

29. Bozo said, on August 25, 2012 at 1:15 pm

No harm no foul. Come on Giants, score early, score often.

30. Robbie Lou said, on August 25, 2012 at 1:22 pm

Not sure if I’ve been ostracized here for my disagreement with others on Bochy, but, if not, I wondered if anyone knew if Gonzalez was traded because he stated his contempt of Valentine? Just trying to settle a discussion and thought you guys might have some insight. Gonzalez always seemed real quiet and when I read what he said about Valentine, I wondered what ol’ Bobby V. would do about it. How much sway he has with Boston and all. Appreciate any insight and thanks.

• TedSpe said, on August 25, 2012 at 1:28 pm

Don’t worry. You have not been ostracized. That being said…I have no insight. As many here will attest

• eddacker said, on August 25, 2012 at 1:31 pm

Adrian, most of all, was not a _fit_at Fenway. He is a californiano, hard to get with the east coast vibe. Having said that Bobby is the kinda guy who would think riding a player might make him work harder.

• twinfan1 said, on August 25, 2012 at 1:43 pm

I don’t remember your postion on Bochy- but lots of posters here aren’t fans of his managing. I’ve been called an apologist for him but I have my disagreements too. I can’t imagine that you would be ostracized.
      This thing about Gonzales and Valentine I don’t know much about but why the Sox hired an unstable pesrson after last year’s mess was not the wisest move on their,part IMO.

• Robbie Lou said, on August 25, 2012 at 1:55 pm

Here is the lowdown from a week or so ago: “Adrian Gonzalez, texting on behalf of himself and some teammates, aired their dissatisfaction with Valentine for embarrassing starting pitcher Jon Lester by leaving him in to allow 11 runs during a July 22 start. It was the latest incident in a season’s worth of bad relations bubbling between Red Sox players and Valentine.

Gonzalez and Dustin Pedroia were among the most vocal in the meeting, in which some players stated flatly they no longer wanted to play for Valentine, the sources said.”

Not sure that had much to do with it,but as eddacker said, I bet Gonzalez was not used to East Coast ball. I just wonder if Boston will stick with Valentine who seems a relic in today’s game. My NewEngland friends are spitting glass because of BV. Meanwhile, I’m staggered by the 3 run bomb. Not that I thought we’d never get scored upon again.

• eddacker said, on August 25, 2012 at 2:06 pm

I do not follow the BoSox, but I thought Terry was a good manager. BTW he is sharing colour commentary at the LLWS games (with Garciaparra).
        I think a lot of fans were surprised with Bobby V getting the call. Most of them knew it wouldn’t last.

• Robbie Lou said, on August 25, 2012 at 2:07 pm

Personally, I think MLB could learn an awful lot from the folks who run the LLWS. I love LL baseball.

31. TedSpe said, on August 25, 2012 at 1:35 pm

I see MadBum’s in full snot-rocket mode this afternoon
    Sweet

32. eddacker said, on August 25, 2012 at 1:37 pm

And Adrian is the one thing the dogers get so far, this year, it will be seen. LA officials already saying: sometimes you have to overpay to get good player(s).

33. eddacker said, on August 25, 2012 at 1:45 pm

Tennessee 8-1 no outs in the 3rd

34. TedSpe said, on August 25, 2012 at 1:50 pm

Bad omen for ewisco’s thread theme here

35. Bozo said, on August 25, 2012 at 1:50 pm

Well that sucked.

36. Robbie Lou said, on August 25, 2012 at 2:31 pm

Either you’re thinking, “god I hope Arias is clean.” or you’re thinking, “this guy is going to put somebody out of a starting job soon.” I’m thinking both those with my alter egos. Can’t decide who is winning.

• Bozo said, on August 25, 2012 at 3:05 pm

Robbie, I’m probably the only one here that isn’t an Arias fan. Filling in at third or second OK, playing SS, nope, I just think the dude has slow reaction time to play that position. But to answer your questions, 1) yes, 2) No.

• Robbie Lou said, on August 25, 2012 at 3:14 pm

That is what I’m hearing, either A or B. I think it’s an amazing feat to be able to play all three of those positions really well and he’s made some plays that were the best I’ve seen. His bat lately makes me think “A” but that is because I’m shell shocked by the stories of others.

God this is why I don’t agree with Bochy. This Kontos kid looks as nervous as a nelly and I wonder why is he out there even? Bring back Mota already, these games are too precious for nervous nellies.

37. Flavor said, on August 25, 2012 at 2:43 pm

How has Peguero looked at the plate? I just got home.
    I fully expect Boston to win a WS before the Dodgers do. Maybe if the get rid of Coletti I’ll change my mind. Really though, if all they’re going to do is throw hundreds of millions of dollars at payroll every year, the owners should just GM the team themselves.

• twinfan1 said, on August 25, 2012 at 2:47 pm

Weakish grounder, then struck out with runner on third and one out. Nice play in the field.

38. Salty said, on August 25, 2012 at 2:43 pm

Loo, I like a Liason and Neck and Neck exacta in the Travers.

• TedSpe said, on August 25, 2012 at 2:44 pm

Pat Travers?

• Salty said, on August 25, 2012 at 2:53 pm

So much for Thorograph

39. TedSpe said, on August 25, 2012 at 2:44 pm

I’ve got nothing to add. Just want to make the 70th comment today

• TedSpe said, on August 25, 2012 at 2:46 pm

Missed it by that much

• Flavor said, on August 25, 2012 at 2:56 pm

that’s better than those imbecile’s over at the Merc blog with all of them falling over themselves to be able to be the blogger who gets to post “first” for each thread. Those are some dudes who need a hobby or something……

40. twinfan1 said, on August 25, 2012 at 2:56 pm

Braves are 45-0 when leading after 6. We hear a lot about those kind of numbers after 8, but after 6 is amazing; even with Kimbrel, Venters, etc. We can change that, though

• Flavor said, on August 25, 2012 at 2:58 pm

that’s an insane stat, especially with Venters being ineffective to begin the year and then hit the DL. He’s been good since he got back but that’s a pretty big 7/8th inning hole to have in your BP for most of the season and yet they still are 45-0 after 6? Wild……..

41. Nipper said, on August 25, 2012 at 2:59 pm

BLEEP this game!

42. blade3colorado said, on August 25, 2012 at 3:00 pm

Bum definitely was off today . . . sigh.

43. Flavor said, on August 25, 2012 at 3:02 pm

Not Bum’s day……..
    Marty Lurie interviewed McCarver recently and they played it on KNBR this morning. Interesting take he had about today’s players v previous generations. He acknowledged that today’s ball player is faster and stronger but said that most of them don’t understand how to play the game and he reeled off a bunch of examples that seemed reasonable to me.
    I’m not connecting to how ballplayers have gotten dumber since the last generation. Maybe they just don’t care enough to learn the game. As long as they get paid they’re cool?

• Nipper said, on August 25, 2012 at 3:07 pm

BLEEP boring day games.

44. eddacker said, on August 25, 2012 at 3:05 pm

Lorenzo Butler has just hit his third 3-run HR for the Tennessee team who lead 15 – 5

Looks like Petaluma will not be playing Japan tomorrow for the honour and pride of the USA

• Nipper said, on August 25, 2012 at 3:08 pm

I’m tired of Little League stuff. They’re cute kids but on ESPN? I don’t like it.

• eddacker said, on August 25, 2012 at 3:12 pm

go to Flav’s house, check it out in 3D. There are over 20,000 fans at the game today.

45. twinfan1 said, on August 25, 2012 at 3:07 pm

I don’t know how many of these are pinch hitters, but the oppopsing team’s 9th place hitters have hit .216 against us, highest in the league.

46. zumiee said, on August 25, 2012 at 3:09 pm

I didn’t dig that Twitter photo of three of the guys in the trade laughing on the airplane. Why send that Tweet? It shows no class and no appreciation for how much they disappointed the fans in Boston the last couple of seasons. The whole photo says “Why should we care? We’re getting paid millions of dollars.”

• Nipper said, on August 25, 2012 at 3:31 pm

At least it was honest. Boston sure didn’t want them.

47. eddacker said, on August 25, 2012 at 3:11 pm

I was pleasantly surprised when I saw Mijares has 12 holds this year.

48. eddacker said, on August 25, 2012 at 3:19 pm

this is interesting
    Bob Brenly may leave Chicago for Phoenix

Arizona’s current game-calling duo of Mark Grace and Daron Sutton have had rough seasons away from the booth. In June, Sutton was suspended with pay by the Diamondbacks for “insubordination,” according to a report by ESPN’s Jerry Crasnick. He has not returned to the booth. Grace is taking an indefinite leave of absence from his job after his second drunken driving arrest in 15 months this week.

Brenly is closing out the final year of a four-year contract he signed before the 2009 season. Industry sources insist that he is the highest paid color commentator on local baseball broadcasts, making in excess of $900,000 a year.

“Bob loves his job and broadcasting for the great Chicago Cub fans,” said Brenly’s Northbrook-based baseball agent Barry Meister. “ Bob has had a wonderful relationship with WGN and it is his hope to continue this partnership for many years to come.

(Though Brenly calls games on both WGN and Comcast SportsNet Chicago, his contract is negoitated with WGN.)

The Los Angeles Dodgers may also have interest in Brenly once they decide how to reconfigure their broadcasts. Hall of Fame announcer Vin Scully continues to reduce from his full-time duties after more than 60 years in the Dodger booth.

Brenly started his broadcasting career on WGN radio in 1990 for two years before taking a coaching position with the San Francisco Giants in 1992.

49. Salty said, on August 25, 2012 at 3:24 pm

That 45-0 streak is due to be broken.

50. ewisco said, on August 25, 2012 at 3:25 pm

45-1?

51. eddacker said, on August 25, 2012 at 3:30 pm

your favorite reliever

52. blade3colorado said, on August 25, 2012 at 3:30 pm

Petaluma came back!

53. Robbie Lou said, on August 25, 2012 at 3:31 pm

Hensley, I don’t know, he seems to get this look on his face when he gets hit that says, “huh?” Not sure what his story is yet.

• zumiee said, on August 25, 2012 at 3:34 pm

He’s not awesome.

54. Robbie Lou said, on August 25, 2012 at 3:34 pm

I sure would like to see Casilla on the mound right now.

• twinfan1 said, on August 25, 2012 at 3:57 pm

Well, it’s part of the problem with the commitee- ideally, Hensley should be pitching in blow out games only. And Affeldt has to challenge guys with the bases loaded. That’s when a guy has to “give in”.

• Robbie Lou said, on August 25, 2012 at 4:02 pm

Could not agree more about both those ideas. Hensley seems lost and Affeldt sometimes seems to need an attitude adjustment. You know he can do it but he looks so full of doubt.

55. blade3colorado said, on August 25, 2012 at 3:46 pm

Frickin’ strike if you ask me. Blind ump.

56. Robbie Lou said, on August 25, 2012 at 3:52 pm

Now we get to see how good the Atlanta bullpen really is.

57. zumiee said, on August 25, 2012 at 3:54 pm

That inning did not go according to Hoyle.

58. blade3colorado said, on August 25, 2012 at 3:59 pm

Damn. You have to tip your hat to Johnson on that play . . . then cuss him out.

59. Robbie Lou said, on August 25, 2012 at 3:59 pm

Giants responded, offense came back, but were they let down by bullpen or management decision?

• zumiee said, on August 25, 2012 at 4:05 pm

Hensley, I have no faith in, but Affeldt was a disappointment, two games in a row. Can’t blame Bochy or Raggs for Affeldt walking those guys.

• twinfan1 said, on August 25, 2012 at 4:17 pm

It’s just one of the reasons bullpen by committee doesn’t work long..

60. blade3colorado said, on August 25, 2012 at 4:11 pm

Pffffft!

61. Robbie Lou said, on August 25, 2012 at 4:12 pm

This is my biggest problem with Bochy, he has no guts for sweeps. He wins a couple and seems to run out of gusto or something. Very poor bullpen use for a red hot Giants offense. I sure hope this doesn’t cool them off. I think we should have won, or at least ties, this game.

• twinfan1 said, on August 25, 2012 at 4:21 pm

Yeah, he walked and gave up a hit to a pathetic hitting pitcher. Bochy is the best pen manager in the game. If he has any blame at all, it’s not going to back to Caailla as the closer yet.

• Robbie Lou said, on August 25, 2012 at 4:26 pm

I have no doubt that if I were in his place I’d have burned out the top guys before the break.:)

62. demp28 said, on August 25, 2012 at 4:20 pm

A few days ago I gave a homework assignment to all the Flappers about what the Giants record was in day games after a night game. Well, after looking at the schedule, the Giants, even after today’s loss, are 17-15. Not bad, but they are 7-11 in their last 18 of such games. More night games please MLB.
    Also, the boys played like they didn’t give a fuck today. Wake the fuck up and don’t be satisfied with a split. Go for the jugular tomorrow night.

• twinfan1 said, on August 25, 2012 at 4:23 pm

They played hard and were managed just fine.

• twinfan1 said, on August 25, 2012 at 4:27 pm

They’re wern’t satisfied to lose today and and they would not be satisied to lose tommorow.

• blade3colorado said, on August 25, 2012 at 4:39 pm

ditto

• blade3colorado said, on August 25, 2012 at 4:28 pm

Sorry, I don’t buy it demp . . . Did you see Blanco’s facial expression and body language after hitting the double in the 7th? How about Belt and Posey after they crossed the plate? I can’t and wont buy that the Giants EVER DON’T “. . . GIVE A FUCK” OR ROLL OVER FOR ANY TEAM.

• demp28 said, on August 25, 2012 at 7:06 pm

Sorry blade, I missed the Blanco facial after he doubled. I was watching Petaluma make a ten run comeback in LLWS.

• blade3colorado said, on August 25, 2012 at 7:14 pm

No biggie demp . . . Yeah, Blanco was quite excited about the double, as were the runners crossing the plate. Quite frankly, I think the silver lining of this Dodger trade is that they just woke up a “sleeping Giant” (team).

• Flavor said, on August 25, 2012 at 4:29 pm

Haha, I was wondering when you were going to give us the answer to that.

63. Robbie Lou said, on August 25, 2012 at 4:27 pm

Listening to the ESPN dicks, against every ounce of judgement, and I just want to blow up my TV. Talking about the Giants as if they are a fluke.

• blade3colorado said, on August 25, 2012 at 4:30 pm

Fuck them and the entire east coast.

• Robbie Lou said, on August 25, 2012 at 4:39 pm

Wait till you read the article that just came out about the nine people injured in the shooting outside the Empire State building yesterday – all were injured by NYPD bullets. NY NY, it’s a helluva town.

• blade3colorado said, on August 25, 2012 at 4:48 pm

Seriously? I hadn’t heard that. Robbie, it seems like one of these mass shootings occur every other day and I guess I am numbed by the frequency of them, especially here in Colorado (where we have more than our share of gun nuts loose on the streets carrying concealed weapons).

• Flavor said, on August 25, 2012 at 4:34 pm

I turn it in to comedy. I think it’s hilarious how little the espn announcers and all of the other team’s announcers know about the players and the team’s around the league. Well, espn has Yanks and Red Sox covered. But that’s it.
      I manage 5 different fantasy teams and to do so I have to do research on pretty much every player in the league as well as any minor leaguer who might get called up. I’m a single dad, got a full time job (and a half) and I still manage to get the baseball research done. That is their actual job and they can’t get it done. It’s hilarious.

• blade3colorado said, on August 25, 2012 at 4:38 pm

What’s more pathetic is that these losers have access to professional baseball people, e.g., scouts, managers, players, GMs, etc., via interviews and interpersonal relationships/friendships. We do it via the internet. :-)

64. twinfan1 said, on August 25, 2012 at 4:41 pm

Well, I’m sure as fuck not in another “sweep stakes” tonight. Yeah, they’ve fought and clawed their way to a 3 game lead and that’s good enough? Brewski and Hot Wings time, their job is done…I’m gonna make some pan fried chicken myself, haven’t had that in awhile, then I’ll watch the Dodger game– talk about a team that lays down- never even attained a TIE in our sweeperino…

65. Flavor said, on August 25, 2012 at 5:03 pm

And just as I finish saying I “research every player in the league, I think I can safely echo San Diggity with a pm comment to compliment his am comment: Who the fuck is Steve Pearce?

66. willedav said, on August 25, 2012 at 5:04 pm

I feel kinda the same way about the big deal as Flav–boston got rid of 3 guys they were disappointed in with huge contracts. Loney is someone who might help them if they decide to keep him around and they pick up two guys very cheap to help out underachieving pitching staff. flems said Giants guy he talked to was high on both de la Rosa and the prospect webster (?), who was supposedly second top rated pitcher in the system.
    the way I first read it, LA really wanted gonzalez and the sox told them fine, but you gotta take the other two. Sox fans are not going to stand for such a crummy record, so I’m sure they will go after other FAs to hit there. Since $$ aren’t an issue and it’s a great hitters park in a division with a bunch of others, shouldn’t be a problem attracting high priced talent…valentine notwithstanding.

• Flavor said, on August 25, 2012 at 5:10 pm

This is just the dodgers throwing as many million dollar bills against the wall and seeing what sticks. It’s brain dead gm-ing, anyone can do this. But it’s not going to work. Especially the Beckett part. Beckett doesn’t give a single shit about anyone but himself. And he IS a big part of this deal. A-Gone might bump them up a little offensively, but really, they’re already fine offensively.
      Their starting pitching still isn’t very good…

67. TedSpe said, on August 25, 2012 at 5:21 pm

Baseball Cliche Alert!!:

Well, hell they were on a 5 game winning streak. Couldn’t last forever. Bum was a little off today so there you go. Can still take 3 of 4

68. Flavor said, on August 25, 2012 at 5:24 pm

Boston tried to fix their major problems last year by ditching their gm and their manager. That clearly didn’t work. Now they’re chopping off the heads of the players with the biggest deals who had a role in the last 2 years.
    The word on Crawford and A-Gone is typically that they’re good teammates but BOTH have been implicated on and off in the last 2 seasons of drama in Beantown. So either they’re percieved as good teammates or they are me-first fucks. And don’t presume to know a player if you didn’t know them before they got their “take care of me” deal. People change………

69. twinfan1 said, on August 25, 2012 at 5:53 pm

Absolutely ON- and absoluetly on the bone as well.Talking chicken..why don’t you all go over my chicken page when you see the link on the right? Listen- all opinions on how to fry chicken are totally welcome- although county wars have been fought over whether Chicken Betty did it better than Chicken I Forgot the Other Woman’s name. Betty fried chicken for something like 60 years in and around KC so I’m going with her- although I’m approachng the 60 yerar frying mark myself so it might not be long before I declare myself the world champ. Chicken frying is rather like pro wresting, there are two thousand some odd world champs. Even so, there does have to be one REAL champ and I’m fixing to make that me…

• Flavor said, on August 25, 2012 at 6:05 pm

I will check it out in detail after we eat. And my experience with your cooking recommendations has been
      100% + so I will definitely try it and I can say that before reading it.

• Bozo said, on August 25, 2012 at 6:22 pm

Jazz fest in NOLA has many great food booths (30?) with tons of different stuff. Back in the mid 80s there was a fried chicken booth from some Baptist church that was some of the best I’ve ever had. The guy that fried it told me he knew they were done by the sound of the frying. In my world, it was akin to Ted Williams saying he could smell the burn of the wood on his bat when he got a hit.

Frying chicken is such a hit and miss deal with me, but damn I love it.

70. DJLoo said, on August 25, 2012 at 6:28 pm

I worked part-time in KFC back in 1971 and to this day have never revealed their secret recipe…

• Bozo said, on August 25, 2012 at 6:36 pm

I worked some games on a carnival for two seasons back in the late 70s and I haven’t revealed any of those secrets (although, I have played the games to my advantage on a couple of occasions).

71. PawlieKokonuts said, on August 25, 2012 at 6:54 pm

With SanDawg, I’m having a few McGriff flashbacks, but over all at least for this season I don’t think it buys the Dodgers the NL West. It’s desperate and superficial. For all the pluses it brings LA, it also brings chaos, tension, and shitty attitudes and performers. It will be an interesting soap opera. HOWEVER, a) I thought you could not trade someone on the DL and b) why WOULDN’T the commissioner invalidate it “in the best interests of baseball”? No one has mentioned it. since Selig and his office are now pawns of the owners, is that option even available anymore? On another note, driving down Route 17 in NY I heard the Mets announcers speculate the trade would oddly CEMENT Valentine’s position as manager. apparently, early on in his Mets stint he cleaned house (Bernard Gilkey and two others were named) to get the team he wanted.

72. twinfan1 said, on August 25, 2012 at 7:18 pm

Gonzales hit a 3-run HR in his first frigging AB. No chicken for you, dude..

73. PawlieKokonuts said, on August 25, 2012 at 7:20 pm

I vote for Flavor’s 5:04pm as POTD. Out of context, it’s nasty on about 5 different levels.

74. zumiee said, on August 25, 2012 at 7:33 pm

I don’t think it’s like ’93 because the Giants pitching is better than ’93, and the Dodgers’ is not as good as the Braves that year. In ’93, the Giants were winning their games 8-6, and the Braves were winning their games 3-1. The Giants of 2012 are actually more like the Braves of that year, and the Dodgers more like the Giants that year. Still, it was close at the end. So, this is probably going to be a close one. Those last 3 games at Dodger Stadium loom large. But we just swept 3 at Dodger Stadium, so there’s not a lack of confidence there. And if the Dodgers want to get over-confident right now, that’s fine. I always consider it an advantage for a team when the other team is already planning out their championship parade.

75. twinfan1 said, on August 25, 2012 at 7:45 pm

I’m on record with my support of Pence and the trade that got him here.And I’ve seen enough before to know he’s a wild swinger- but man, he couldn’t hit a beach ball with some of the hacks he’s taking right now. I’ll wait- like I have a choice- but let’s go, Hunter- it’s game on..

76. paulinasia said, on August 25, 2012 at 8:15 pm

The trade doesn’t really affect “the Giants”, and that’s what all the players et al are saying; just need to take care of your own business, your own game, and keep winning. But it does make LA better, don’t kid yourself. A lot of talk here that this trade will hurt the Dogs’ team chemistry; I don’t think they’ve had much to begin with, and I don’t think they care about that. A-Gon will help immensely, and don’t be surprised if Beckett resurges as a starter. My friends in Boston are not moaning about this trade, but they did like A-Gon, who seemed straight up until the Valentine thing happened.

That said, I see the Dogs winning more at first but then as soon as they hit a rough patch, that lack of team chemistry that they’ve never had will surface again. It’s still the Giants’ division to win. The trade itself disgusts me. We now have the Yankees West in our division. It ain’t right, but what can you do… except win anyway and put the bastards in their place.

77. Flavor said, on August 25, 2012 at 8:30 pm

Hunter Pence is a fucking wild ass enigma. HE should be nicknamed *Crazy Horse*. I did NOT like the trade when I first heard about it but that was when I thought Gary Brown was involved. Maybe in 5 years I’ll rue it. But Joseph just didn’t make me trip for a second.
    Once it was official I decided to go “both feet in” and I still feel fine with that. There are too many things about this guy that I like to bail on him.
    If we are *lucky* this is a 25hr/90RBI//80run/5sb guy. He’s 29 now and as I’ve ALWAYS felt about him, he’s just a *kloogy* looking guy. I’ve got no idea how that *look* ages. I know he was having a pretty average year when we acquired him and that he had a much better year in 2010. Who know, sometimes guys just have shitty years, re-gather in the off season, and bounce back.
    Luckily, we have been able to tolerate his poor production with other players who have stepped up (Pagan, Buster, Arias, Scutaro to name a few).
    We did the same thing when Melky went down………
    It’s just harder to notice because we are winning and Pence is still out there………

78. paulinasia said, on August 25, 2012 at 8:42 pm

As I’ve said here before, Pence was a good pickup as a piece to an overall puzzle, a puzzle that was in place for exactly one game before Melk disappeared forever. That was kind of the thing with Rowand; he was supposed to just be a piece for the puzzle Sabes was jigsawing together, but instead, the lineup often wasn’t good enough and Rowand became someone we really needed to constantly perform… which of course he didn’t. Not the same, Pence *is* and I think will be better than Rowand, but he wasn’t acquired to do what LA just did by getting A-Gon. The Giants may well still need another piece, a stable producer in LF, mostly likely, or certainly at least a power player or two for the bench. If a lot of pressure and expectations are on Pence himself, we might be disappointed; if we just need him to produce now and then while others are also producing now and then, he’ll likely be fine. At least personally, he seems a better fit than Melky was.

79. Flavor said, on August 25, 2012 at 8:46 pm

A-Gone hit a bomb in his first at bat? Who cares? You guys can’t get swayed and overwhelmed by big names and obvious stats like home runs and specific at bats. He’s not going to do that every night. He went 1-4 with 2 K’s last time I checked.
    I’ve discussed all of this already so I’m not getting into it again, but there many reasons to worry about the Dodgers adding HanRam (overrated), Victorino (non-issue), A-Gone (wild card), C-Craw (hurt) and Beckett (sucks). The back of their baseball cards look pretty. But there are MORE reasons to LQT(yourself) at this entire summer of acquisitions.
    Though I have been righted countless times more, I’ve been wrong many times and I will proudly accept either fate at the outcome of this season.
    We are winning the West………

• Flavor said, on August 25, 2012 at 8:51 pm

and I love it when Loo and others find and re-post my posts that so clearly support what happens in the future. Don’t forget to find this one………

• twinfan1 said, on August 25, 2012 at 8:54 pm

I said we’d win the West-a few times in the last couple days and all year. Before and after the trade. It just happens to be news that Gonzales hit a HR in his first AB there.

• Flavor said, on August 25, 2012 at 9:03 pm

well, you’re *saying it* but you say that every year. Everyone (including you) seems to have their panties bunched up about all these pick ups. I have steadfastly stayed strong in not sweating them for a fucking second……
        You can’t have it both ways, either renounce your publicly stated fears of the pick ups and pick the Giants to win the West or sit there with your panties bunched up worrying about this non-issue……..

• twinfan1 said, on August 25, 2012 at 9:19 pm

Settle down. I said Ramirez would be be a signifant acquistion. He has been. I think Gonzales will be also be that. I also said that we’re better now than we were when the Milker went out- we are. I don’t have to renounce anything- the Dodgers are clearly better than they were but not better than we are. Now really, try to be civil.

80. twinfan1 said, on August 25, 2012 at 8:48 pm

Surely there’s some fried chicken talk. Paul, I hear KFC is wildly popular in Saigon. I’ve made a dish of fried wings that’s Vietnamese at least in spirit, it’s finished with fish sauce and brown sugar simmereed until the wings are sticky and sooooo good. I sprinkle them with scallions and cilantro. Folks can eat a dozen or more…

81. willedav said, on August 25, 2012 at 9:10 pm

If SF SPs etc are on, who the dodgers pick up isn’t going to matter…remember 2010 playoffs when every team supposedly outmatched us on offense? Pagan outplayed Kemp hands down in LA, Posey scut sandoval hammered their ass, and freaking Joaquin Arias drove in more runs than Hanley. Was it because we were facing inferior pitching? Like say Kershaw, who’ve we now beaten what 3 times already this year?
    Like John wooden used to say, I’m not preparing for the other team, I’m preparing us, for how we are going to win.

• Flavor said, on August 25, 2012 at 9:21 pm

I don’t care what the sport was, whether you had knowledge of it or not, I would pick you to lead us into battle. The pattern of your posts over the years tells me you are a fantastic coach……..

82. paulinasia said, on August 25, 2012 at 9:12 pm

Craig, agree the Giants will still win the west. Hate that LA is now NY-West. Agree that the Dogs STILL don’t have team chemistry. But their production will be better because of this trade. So, SF just needs to be better too (as we’ve been doing of late). I’m already looking forward to that last weekend series of the season when we go into LA within a game or two of the Dogs either way and take the division.

Michael, you’re right, KFC is one of the bigger franchises here in VN (although Subway has entered the franchise market and will grow in popularity), and yes, their condiment offerings include the ubiquitous fish sauce (nuoc mam)… hell, I’ve seen locals eat a dinner at a street stall that consists only of rice and nuoc mam…. Unfortunately, you’re also starting to see some awfully and unnaturally overweight young children because of the increase of fried foods….

• Flavor said, on August 25, 2012 at 9:25 pm

My point, which hasn’t been filtered in, is that it doesn’t matter one whit who anyone gets. It matter how they play as a team. In fantasy baseball none of that matters. You just slap the best producers together and hope for the best from a pure numbers standpoint…..
      But *real* baseball isn’t just *poetry* because it’s a poetic sport to write about. It’s also a poetic sport to play. Together.
      What you’ve done on the back of your baseball card means nothing to me when I’m looking at what you’re going to do tomorrow and how your team is going to perform…….

• Flavor said, on August 25, 2012 at 9:35 pm

and so I WILL stand alone as the only blogger here who not only isn’t sweating these Dodger moves but is quietly laughing at them (others are free to join in).
        Listen up all you worried fans: When HanRam blasted Romo’s shitty, spinning shit pitch into the night on July 27th we lost and we were still up 2 games on the Dodgers. They added Victorino and a bunch of other games happened.
        We swept them and then they panicked and pulled off what will one day be seen as THE WORST TRADE IN THE HISTORY OF BASEBALL. Then they won today and we lost….
        We are still up on those bitches by 2 games…..
        And the gap shall widen by the time the season ends…….
        And I’m not talking from a dumbass fan perspective just hoping and praying for the best. I have listed all the reasons over the last 24 hours that support my opinion of how I think the rest of the season will unfold……….

• DJLoo said, on August 25, 2012 at 9:39 pm

*Unbunches panties*

83. twinfan1 said, on August 25, 2012 at 9:45 pm

In the second half of 2010 we were finally able to slug with the sluggers in their homes- as I said then. That was huge in the postseason, of course.Nothing was more important than our pitching and, as Willie says, nothing will be more important down the stretch this year. We do of course have more question marks on the pitching staff this year…
    I completely understand your point, Flavor. I have no idea why an honest *opinion* on how the Dodgrers might have improved is so maddening for you. I’ve explained why I think we’re better since Melky left and you agreed. I’ve aldso acknowledhged what is clear- the Dodgers are better than they were- but not good enough to take the West.

84. twinfan1 said, on August 25, 2012 at 9:50 pm

I told you to kill the chicken before eating, Craig ;-)

85. SanDawg said, on August 25, 2012 at 9:55 pm

I’ve been out all day…bummed about the loss, but lots of great posts:
    Twin: Made my weekend that you made a RATT reference—google assistance notwithstanding! Full-on aluminum gold star for you.
    Flav: please explain this term “kloogy” you have used a couple of times recently.
    As for A Gone…he’s gonna absolutely mash in LA. Getting him away from Bobby V and the Boston media and back into SoCal playing for a low key guy like Donny TwoTrips is gonna supercharge him. McGriff redux.

Just got back from a beach party thrown by a good friend of my 14 year old son’s. There were 30+ kids there, half of them nice looking girls. (This is a good friend for my son to have) I drove home 4 14 yr old boys in my Bitchin’ Windstar. They were carrying on having a good time on the way home when I announced they all had to tell me who they each thought the hottest girl at the party was before anyone could leave the van. Nervous laughter ensued and it got very quiet for the rest of the ride. As we pulled into the first kid’s driveway, I amended the rules to requiring them to simply name one girl who “looked good,” but once one of them named a girl, she was off the board and the others had to name someone else. They found these parameters more acceptable, but we still sat in the driveway a good 3 minutes before they all came clean. It was a pretty funny moment and we all agreed that the Windstar provided a “cone of silence” and none of the opinions were to be shared on Fbook or Twitter.

ps I think Sutton and Grace do a nice job behind the mic and I’m sorry to hear about my SDSU homeboy Grace having personal troubles and Sutton being on the outs.

• twinfan1 said, on August 25, 2012 at 10:15 pm

Dawg: A few years ago I was having trouble with something or another to do with my internnet connection. Really frustrated, I banged out “shut down, asshole’ on the keyboard… first hit: “Anal Pleasures”.. the internet can be a trip. Anyway, it is totally cool to find out about people one knew nothing about.Gnight..

• ewisco said, on August 25, 2012 at 10:52 pm

kludge or cludge or kloodge. a miltiary/aerospace term. for something that works but doesn’t exactly look good. expedient. quick and dirty.

a great bit of terminology.

86. ewisco said, on August 25, 2012 at 10:54 pm

i don’t seem to be too worked up about the big trade. it’s still in my mind that the teams that do well in the PS are the ones that have to scratch and claw to get there. so, release the kraken.

• twinfan1 said, on August 26, 2012 at 12:00 am

Nobody has been worked up much- a much larger issue than the trade itself is that it goes against the spirit and intent of the waiver wire process. MLB should do away with the waiver wire altogether and simply extend the non-waiver wire trade dealine to August 31 if this is just to be a process only wealthy teams dare particapate in. Just as the Yankees are not at fault for taking advantage of faulty revenue sharing rules, the Dodgers are not to blame for seizing their opporuntity. There’s an important and ominous caveat however-in a tight race a team could consider it in their best interest to lose a game or two if it secured them the opportunity to either block their rival or make a transaction they would have been unable to make if they led in the standings….
      Nearly everyone here has felt the Giants would win the division since day one, and most still think so after this trade. In my mind only Gonzales is a player certain to improve the Dodgers- not enough. And at over 70 million in payroll obligations just next year for the newbies who will fail to bring them to the promised land, I don’t think many SF fans are having bunched panty issues right now. Me? I’m having two more pieces of chicken- great at room temp, coconut cake, and some 2 percent. I’ll suffer tomorrow. Big time…

87. TedSpe said, on August 26, 2012 at 12:00 am

88. TedSpe said, on August 26, 2012 at 12:01 am

Yup
    Ya’lls a fool

89. TedSpe said, on August 26, 2012 at 12:05 am

Goodnight, gentlemen
    And…bleep?

• twinfan1 said, on August 26, 2012 at 12:14 am

Night, Ted. Care for the pope’s nose? I saved it. Often referred to as the last part over the fence, it’s so delicious and you know what they say about “what doesn’t kill you…” bon appetit, my friend.
      Sometimes called the “Parson’s Beak” or the “Gateway to Heaven”..
      beak

90. Rooster said, on August 26, 2012 at 12:13 am

Team chemistry? Who gives a fuck about team chemistry? The history of Sports is full of Championship teams that didn’t all hang out together away from the ballpark or the arena – and more than a few who plain didn’t like each other. So you think the Dodgers don’t have any team chemistry because some of these players had bad reps with some other team? Think again. Hanley’s never been happier – he credits Manny Mota for being a father figure from day one, and the team has welcomed him into the fold. It’s a clean slate when these guys start over on a new team – I’m not saying down the road (next season, the season after…) something might change, but there’s only a little over a month to go – not enough time for cancers to take hold – if they ever will.

As far as the Gonzalez trade – I can’t say I like the idea of including the two arms in the deal – De La Rosa was hitting 100 mph before TJ surgery and is already back to hitting high 90’s, Webster projects to a ceiling of a #2 or #3 starter – not sad to see Loney go – he’s been a black hole at 1st for years. The money? It’s not as much as it looks at 1st glance. The Angels are paying Pujols more than the Dodgers are paying all 3 of Gonzo, Beckett, and Crawford – and Gonzo was the only one Dodgers really wanted – Beckett and Crawford were just throw-ins because the Sox didn’t want the contracts and those contracts are just a drop in the bucket for the Guggenheimers.

Team chemistry? – you mean like all the high-fives and the back-slapping Gonzo was getting for hitting a 3-run bomb in his 1st at-bat for the Dodgers? Oooooh, THAT team chemistry.

• twinfan1 said, on August 26, 2012 at 12:33 am

You kinda lost your Pope’s Nose in the operation, yes? Hi, Capon. Truly- nice to see you. Been a long supper for you.Got a kick out of Magic declaring “it was a smart trade”… and as he tucked in for the night… “it was a smart trade”… “it was a smart trade”… “it was a smart trade”…”it was a smart trade”… zzzzzzzzz… Here, Ted got the best part but here’s a tasty wing. Mmmmm… go on over to my fried chicken page (link to right) and tell us about your favorite… don’t be a stranger.

• Rooster said, on August 26, 2012 at 12:37 am

Hey, twin – glad to see you’re still here going strong.

91. Rooster said, on August 26, 2012 at 12:34 am

Here’s how the new contracts fit in with the Dodgers’ existing commitments beyond this season (all dollar figures in millions, and all annual salaries taken from Cot’s Baseball Contracts):

Player 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018
    Gonzalez $21.00 $21.00 $21.00 $21.00 $21.50 $21.50
    Crawford $20.00 $20.25 $20.50 $20.75 $21.00 Free Agent
    Beckett $15.75 $15.75 Free Agent
    Subtotal $56.75 $57.00 $41.50 $41.75 $42.50 $21.50
    Dodgers existing $135.51 $76.66 $48.46 $46.96 $47.46 $29.00
    Total $192.26 $133.66 $89.96 $88.71 $89.96 $50.50

Sure 2013 is a little high but after that, flexibility returns.

• Rooster said, on August 26, 2012 at 12:39 am

well that didn’t work out the way I had it in the window – it didn’t accept all my space bar additions.

• Nipper said, on August 26, 2012 at 4:44 am

Rooster no one cares. Dodgers suck anyway. Just a collection of bums from other teams. BOO HISS!

92. WilcoJoe said, on August 26, 2012 at 1:19 pm

I predicted in April (I wish there was a search function) that this race would come down to the Giants and Dodgers and would be “one for the ages.” While it’s not a “Flav like prediction”, I will still pat myself on the back :)

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 499 other followers