So Much Depends (posted for Pawlie)

Posted in Uncategorized by twinfan1 on August 31, 2012

So Much Depends

A William Carlos Williams poem has the line “so much depends.” His famous poem “The Red Wheelbarrow” is just a few lines, but it has been seriously analyzed by scholars and students. someone once told me it referred to the line between life and death. Williams was a doctor. My “someone” said the poem was about rain on the verge of freezing rain, which stood for life and death.

So much depends last night on that AB from Hunter Pence in the seventh inning. So much depends on getting good takes, balls instead of strikes. So much depends on the hit he “muscled” up the middle, just beyond Astros leather.

That was my “so much depends” moment.

What was yours?

So much depends on these September games. And each game is likely to have a “so much depends” moment.

About these ads

1. chipower9 said, on August 31, 2012 at 8:37 am

Well, I think Paul In Asia summed it up pretty good last night…each player just needs to go out and do their job. So many Giants have contributed to getting the team to where they are now (4.5 up/5 in the loss column) with 31 to play.

That being said, I have shared over the past couple of weeks what I think is one of the keys to winning the West, and that is that Tim and Zito go .500 rest of the way.

I also think it important for Pablo to get on track. Case in point:

Last 7 days: .111, .190, .111, .302 (BA, OBP, SLG, OPS)
    Last 14 days: .209, .260, .279, .539
    Last 28 days: .222, .281, .278, .559.

Sure, the Giants are 8-2 in their last 10, but I just think the above are critical down the stretch.

• twinfan1 said, on August 31, 2012 at 9:00 am

I think he’s already started.

2. DJLoo said, on August 31, 2012 at 8:42 am

Guess the stat:

Pablo last 2 years: 285, 245, 255, 275

• TedSpe said, on August 31, 2012 at 7:14 pm

Weight

3. Flavor said, on August 31, 2012 at 8:53 am

The A’s are now closer to Texas than the Dodgers are to the Giants. I fucking love that. I am quietly rooting for the Pirates in the NL and the A’s and Baltimore in the AL to each snag a WC spot. The Dodgers are going to be a longshot to just make the playoffs (and as I’ve been saying since the day this stupid trade went down, that’s ain’t happening)…..

4. Flavor said, on August 31, 2012 at 8:56 am

James (and I think someone else) scoffed at my post about the Dodgers needing to pick up pitching and not hitting in a trade. He spouted off about their ERA for the year, which while good, was mostly smoke and mirrors for where they are TODAY and where they are headed in September. Now we find out that Lady B (who I said definitely would be out for the year) is now getting a last-chance injection.
    Jeez, I hope Kershaw can pitch every day. If he can’t, maybe A-Gone can give the mound a whirl……. :) :) :)

• twinfan1 said, on August 31, 2012 at 9:31 am

Obviously they have the money to do both (pick up hitting and pitching). But we’re dealing with childen who found money in the street. They began by massively overpaying for the team while not even getting title to all the land. Now with hundreds of millions to spend on upgrades for the deadline, the lone pitcher they choose is a guy the Sox would have been happy to give away if they hadn’t stumbled onto the Dooberville Bums.
      But, moving on- the task at hand now is to make certain those last three games in LA mean nothing, having clinched already.

5. Wilcojoe said, on August 31, 2012 at 8:58 am

Check out Pavlovic’s post game blog…I am the guy in the white dress shirt and black pants catching Kuip’s bag of pretzels (on my phone so i can’t link.). Didn’t even spill my scotch and water! Milo’s reaction was priceless…Ol bastard can’t retire soon enough.

• chipower9 said, on August 31, 2012 at 9:12 am

Joe – I checked it out and did not see the picture you are talking about???

• Wilcojoe said, on August 31, 2012 at 9:18 am

It’s at the end of his story from last night…He’ talking about the bags of chips that K&K are tossing in the crowd…He has a link to the GIF (?) moving picture.

• eddacker said, on August 31, 2012 at 9:54 am

try this link:

Are you sporting a baseball cap? Could you hear K&K talking from there?

6. DJLoo said, on August 31, 2012 at 9:06 am

Rise and shine you morons! Get that line up posted!

7. chipower9 said, on August 31, 2012 at 9:06 am

So, I’ve read in a couple of places that Bochy is considering Arias in LF. I think that is a great idea…cannot be any worse than Blanco or Christian.

About bring Nady onto the team (to be eligible for any possible post-season play), I think that would be a good move. If so, who’s spot does he take?

• twinfan1 said, on August 31, 2012 at 9:11 am

As to his spot on the postseson roster, Peguero would be the obvious choice, There are several possibiites to bump off the 40 man or move to the 60-Day DL. I think they have to do that today.

• chipower9 said, on August 31, 2012 at 9:13 am

And whoever’s spot he takes, doesn’t that player then have to be put on waivers?

• twinfan1 said, on August 31, 2012 at 9:33 am

Are you talking about the 40-man? They can just move one of several guys to the 60-day DL, no waivers required.

• Wilcojoe said, on August 31, 2012 at 9:14 am

When you see Arias in person he looks like an OF (or a pitcher), tall and wiry. You certianly don’t think middle IF.

8. chipower9 said, on August 31, 2012 at 9:08 am

Pagan CF
    Theriot 2B
    Sandoval 3B
    Posey C
    Pence RF
    Belt 1B
    Arias SS
    Blanco LF
    Bumgarner LHP

• DJLoo said, on August 31, 2012 at 9:12 am

Bum demands Buster!
      BLEEP!

9. Flavor said, on August 31, 2012 at 9:17 am

Here’s the link Wilco is talking about:

THAT is fucking AWESOME!!!!!!!!!

• chipower9 said, on August 31, 2012 at 9:19 am

You beat me to it, Flavor…just found it and was going to post…

Good stuff!

• Flavor said, on August 31, 2012 at 9:19 am

Joe, what exactly were they throwing to you guys?

• unca_chuck said, on August 31, 2012 at 9:21 am

Pretzels?

• Wilcojoe said, on August 31, 2012 at 9:25 am

During every Astros game, Milo Hamilton tosses small bags of peanuts into the stands from his radio booth…So as a going away gag, K&K tossed family sized bags of pretzels, chips, popcorn, cracker jacks, I am talking megasize Costco type goods…As you can see from Milo’s reaction, he was none too pleased…It was fucking classic.

• unca_chuck said, on August 31, 2012 at 9:29 am

Funny thing is, the bag just appears in your hand. Kuip threw it?

• Wilcojoe said, on August 31, 2012 at 9:30 am

The guy next to me (in the Mays jersey) was a really cool dude…Grew up in the Bronx as a Giants fan going to the Polo Grounds as a kid, moved to Santa Cruz in ’78… told stories as good as Loo…I introduced him to the blog…if your reading this Rich, thanks for the drinks!

• Wilcojoe said, on August 31, 2012 at 9:33 am

Yeah Chuck, I think the shot starts right as i caught it…I look like iam trying to spoon with the redhead behind me :)

• Flavor said, on August 31, 2012 at 9:42 am

that’s funny as hell, I thought you were banging the chick in front of you when i first saw it. hahA

• Macdog said, on August 31, 2012 at 9:44 am

That is awesome. Is Milo the old guy in the left booth? Yeah, that guy doesn’t look too happy.

• Wilcojoe said, on August 31, 2012 at 10:02 am

Yeah…He’s best known for his call of Aaron’s 715 blast in Atlanta… The best part was right before it happened, as Milo was reaching into his cheap ass box of peanuts, Kuiper knocked on the plexiglass that seperate the two booths, and motioned ( with a big shit eating grin) to HiS giant box of treats as if to say “check THIS out.”

10. unca_chuck said, on August 31, 2012 at 9:19 am

Shit, i had no idea todaay was a day game.

I guess the Asstros wanted to stick it to the Giants in their last visit to Hou as National Leaguers . . . ha ha. Fuck ‘em.

• eddacker said, on August 31, 2012 at 10:16 am

Yeah, a question about why that wasn’t a day game; musta held it up so WJ could attend?
      The Fresno grizzlies bus broke down on their trip home from Cucamonga and they watched the sun rise over I5.

11. unca_chuck said, on August 31, 2012 at 9:20 am

If not for the color, it looks like that was shot in 1923.

12. Salty said, on August 31, 2012 at 9:25 am

Strange. Bochy said Posey was “sore” and wasn’t going to play today?

• twinfan1 said, on August 31, 2012 at 9:36 am

From the way the talk has been, maybe Buster thinks he’s running out of guys who will pitch to him ;-)

13. eddacker said, on August 31, 2012 at 9:58 am

That seems spookie about Buster especially after Cain said: “I just threw what Buster called for.” in explaining his perfect game.

14. eddacker said, on August 31, 2012 at 9:59 am

great seats WJ, Are you sporting a baseball cap? Could you hear K&K talking from there?

• Wilcojoe said, on August 31, 2012 at 10:08 am

Yeah that’s my Giants hat…Went staight to the yard after work, so I didn’t change…face value was $58, paid $20 from a scalper….No you can’t hear the announcers, though with such a small crowd, you think ya could…i would guess the actual attendance was about 6000, about a third were Giants fans.

15. eddacker said, on August 31, 2012 at 10:01 am

Timing, so much depends on timing. September is when I always get antsy. the players that are due will probably not get the evener this late and the guys that are hot will go cold at just the wrong time – during the playoffs.
    so much depends on timing

16. Macdog said, on August 31, 2012 at 10:05 am

Just found a video at normal speed of Wilco’s snack grab: http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=24356999

• Wilcojoe said, on August 31, 2012 at 10:17 am

I’ve gone viral!!
      That’s fucking awesome…I didn’t realize it made the telecast.

• eddacker said, on August 31, 2012 at 10:29 am

baggs tweeted it and I first saw it this morning. It’s a lot more fun to watch knowing what I know now.

• Macdog said, on August 31, 2012 at 10:20 am

Ooops, Edd posted the same vid about 10 minutes before me. We can’t get enough of this!

17. blade3colorado said, on August 31, 2012 at 10:14 am

I, along with a few others (e.g., Twin) have wondered if Posey is gun shy when runners come across the plate, i.e., using the swipe tag vs. blocking the plate.

Per Baggs, apparently he has been instructed by his coaches to execute the swipe tag . . . Specifically, he noted in his August 29th post, “Snyder was safe at the plate when Posey couldn’t reach back far enough to apply the swipe tag that coaches have instructed him to execute. (Although Angel Pagan’s throw was off line, so Posey had no choice but to drift away from the plate to receive it.)”

• snarkk said, on August 31, 2012 at 10:30 am

He’s clearly steering clear of contact. The other night, can’t remember which game, he came WAY out from the plate towards RF to accept the throw instead of being off but close to the plate to take it. Result was he was so far from the plate his swipe tag missed the runner as he lunged for him. Had he been nearer the plate, the ball would clearly have arrived sooner and he would have easily had the guy, without having to block the plate at all. Hector obviously doesn’t do that, he’s taken a shot or two and gotten the out. I’m not saying Posey shouldn’t be careful, but he’s SO far off the plate to take the throw it’s kind of ridiculous…

• twinfan1 said, on August 31, 2012 at 10:38 am

Well, I wasn’t disagreeing with the instructions not to block the plate and to use the swipe tag- it was that more than once, on throws that seemed to be on line ( unlike the Pagan throw that Baggs cites ) , he took the throw too far in front of the plate to reach the runner with the swipe tag. I did also note that I wasn’t condemning the guy for not being eager to get blown up again. He’ll be fine..

18. unca_chuck said, on August 31, 2012 at 10:26 am

Heh heh, Wilco. You got a nice little air fuck going on there. Much like Peguero’s air catch the other day . . . !

19. eddacker said, on August 31, 2012 at 10:26 am

the Paralympics are in full swing with the heroic stories of competitors. Martine Wright was celebrating the news that London had won the 2012 Olympics. That celebration put her on one of the trains involved in the 7/7 terrorist attack and had both her legs amputated above the knee. today she competed as a member of the GB sitting volleyball team. she calls it fate. Whole story here: http://goo.gl/lnE91

20. snarkk said, on August 31, 2012 at 10:33 am

Bochy often excuses Buster not catching Timmeh because of a day game after a night game. Today, you have the ultimate day after night, with barely 12 hours between games, plus air travel across 1500 miles. Yet, Buster is catching Bum. Hmmm…

• twinfan1 said, on August 31, 2012 at 10:44 am

Last night Bochy said that Buster would probably get the day off. The logical reason he’s catching, IMO, is that Buster insisted he wanted to playand felt fine.

• snarkk said, on August 31, 2012 at 10:57 am

Well, then the question is why doesn’t Buster insist on catching when Tim is pitching a day-after-night game and Bochy acquiesces?…

• twinfan1 said, on August 31, 2012 at 11:08 am

Well, that’s your question, not *the* question. This is not your usiual day after night. What I heard was that Buster volunteered to play to set an example for the guys to ignore being tired.after a late game, long flight, and day game.

• snarkk said, on August 31, 2012 at 11:53 am

I’m not buyin’ it. There’s too many games where Buster could have caught Lincecum, should have caught Lincecum as the #1 catcher, but didn’t. No doubt in my mind if Tim were pitching today, Posey would NOT be catching, with the day after night excuse. Zito badmouths Posey the other day. Something’s going on. We’ll see tomorrow if Posey catches Tim. If not, it’ll be the he caught two days in a row with short rest, so we’re giving him a blow excuse…

21. unca_chuck said, on August 31, 2012 at 10:33 am

That video is classic!

22. PawlieKokonuts said, on August 31, 2012 at 10:37 am

Thanks, Michael, for throwing this up there for me. And way to go viral, Wilco.

23. Salty said, on August 31, 2012 at 10:42 am

So much depends on….team chemistry? It’s more than just liking one another.

24. snarkk said, on August 31, 2012 at 10:43 am

When you’re 84, sometimes I guess you don’t like to be mocked?
    Kruk & Kuip, you can’t take the ballplayer out of dudes regardless of how long they’ve been out of the uni.
    Very clean and cool prank. 2 thumbs up on that one…

25. DJLoo said, on August 31, 2012 at 10:48 am

K & K better hope Milo lived through the night – they’ll be in deep shit if he died a broken man…

26. unca_chuck said, on August 31, 2012 at 10:49 am

Edd, to answer your question about why the Hou game wasn’t a day game, the Giants have the right (and I’m sure they did ask) to ask Houston if they can move the game up a few hours since they are travelling to Chicago after last night’s game. Houston apparently turned them down.

27. PawlieKokonuts said, on August 31, 2012 at 10:52 am

Wilco, man, that is cool. I would love to talk to the guy who went to games at the Polo Grounds. I hope he shows up here. I want to interview him. My next book is about my life as a Giants fan; he’d be great to include. I actually did know a guy who went to every Giants home game from the 1930s, then to visitors’ games at Shea.

• Wilcojoe said, on August 31, 2012 at 11:47 am

Pawlie, I told him about your book…I have his card at home…I will give you his email when I get home.

28. Flavor said, on August 31, 2012 at 10:55 am

Kruk said this am that Bochy spent a long convo with Buster last night on the plane. Obviously, Buster made his case and Bochy felt good enough about it to start him today.

• snarkk said, on August 31, 2012 at 11:58 am

Let’s see if tomorrow with Lincecum going how “good” everybody feels about Buster catching. He should not have caught today under the usual scenarios with Bochy, but because he is, that sets up perfectly for an excuse for him not to catch tomorrow. I’ll be well surprised if he does catch tomorrow…

29. Macdog said, on August 31, 2012 at 10:55 am

so much depends
    upon

a red-hot
    Pablo

Pence and Cain
    Buster

between the white
    chalk lines.

30. Flavor said, on August 31, 2012 at 10:57 am

By the way you guys, keep those photo’s coming. Today I posted one of me and Pawlie from WS game—flap photo bucket to the right
    Email me at bigflavor77@gmail.com

• unca_chuck said, on August 31, 2012 at 10:59 am

Just sent ya some more, Flav . . . “relatively’ oldies but goodies. . . .

31. dirtnrockcsnomo said, on August 31, 2012 at 10:59 am

Fortunately I have not had my depends moment yet. I’ll leave that to you older guys. :)

32. snarkk said, on August 31, 2012 at 11:06 am

Maybe the Giants should call up “Big Titty” out of retirement to catch Timmy for September. Lincecum has always given him a lotta love and respect for helping him early on…

• twinfan1 said, on August 31, 2012 at 11:16 am

Yeah, Buster has shown that he can’t handle Timmy when it really matters..

33. eddacker said, on August 31, 2012 at 11:14 am

watching the game on ESPN with Brenly interviewing Duane. and the sun is still up, how cool is that??

34. unca_chuck said, on August 31, 2012 at 11:17 am

Home of the breeeeva?

35. unca_chuck said, on August 31, 2012 at 11:21 am

Well, in the span of 2 minutes, Kruk has mentioned cutting off balls and not producing with wood.

Long road trip, Mike?

36. eddacker said, on August 31, 2012 at 11:39 am

I heard Bum left the Houston game early and was in Chicago before the game ended.

37. Bozo said, on August 31, 2012 at 11:52 am

Another missed play at the plate. The throw was on line and in time.

• unca_chuck said, on August 31, 2012 at 11:59 am

I wouldn’t call that on line . . .

• Bozo said, on August 31, 2012 at 12:04 pm

The throw looked to me to be right where Posey was standing, which was off the plate. I’ll go back and look at it again later just to make sure.

• Bozo said, on August 31, 2012 at 12:08 pm

I guess your right unca, Posey had to make a step to his left.

• unca_chuck said, on August 31, 2012 at 12:09 pm

If Posey would have been blocking the plate, there would have been no way to catch the ball. It was about 5′ to the foul side of the bag when it got there.

• Bozo said, on August 31, 2012 at 12:17 pm

Maybe unca, but usually a throw from the OF is at the Catcher (with the cutoff in between), HP is a little tougher to pick up from out there.

38. unca_chuck said, on August 31, 2012 at 12:06 pm

Criminy. This guy’s strike zone is the size of a postage stamp, and we are swinging first pitch.

Brilliant.

39. DJLoo said, on August 31, 2012 at 12:07 pm

I don’t think our team is awake yet…

40. DJLoo said, on August 31, 2012 at 12:11 pm

A few hours of sleep last night, a major whore night in Chicago tonight, and an early game tomorrow could spell trouble…

41. eddacker said, on August 31, 2012 at 12:19 pm

oh,dear

42. Bozo said, on August 31, 2012 at 12:20 pm

I’m liking the idea of Posey playing LF more and more.

43. eddacker said, on August 31, 2012 at 12:20 pm

Brenly called that a Little League home run: keep running until they tag you.

44. ewisco said, on August 31, 2012 at 12:21 pm

What the fuck kind of game is posey calling? 0-2 and throw soriano an inside fastball? Now the comedy of errors. All with 2 outs no one on! Trade him :). It’s looking like another tough day for the tv.

45. twinfan1 said, on August 31, 2012 at 12:26 pm

Two things: I was wrong to crfiticize Snarkk’s take on Buster catching today. The omly sensible thing was to give Buster the rest and then have him catch Tim tomorrow- if there was nothing to the rift..Second- Buster has given away two runs at the plate today…

• snarkk said, on August 31, 2012 at 12:35 pm

OK.
      And, Kuiper just said on radio that Buster is NOT catching tomorrow.
      Case closed on the Buster vs. Tim separation. It’s real…

• Robbie Lou said, on August 31, 2012 at 1:29 pm

How did Buster give away two runs? I just got back home and missed the beginning of the game.

46. eddacker said, on August 31, 2012 at 12:26 pm

1-800-TVsHurtToo

47. eddacker said, on August 31, 2012 at 12:29 pm

theriot is not letting this chance go by with 2 hits.

• Bozo said, on August 31, 2012 at 12:33 pm

ed, I think Theriot has a hit and a walk.

• eddacker said, on August 31, 2012 at 12:45 pm

it is a fact, making dinner messes up following the game.
        shucks

48. eddacker said, on August 31, 2012 at 12:32 pm

PENCE with as chance to tie it
    not

• snarkk said, on August 31, 2012 at 12:36 pm

Edd, he could only have made it 5-3 with a two run jack…

• eddacker said, on August 31, 2012 at 12:44 pm

yep, I been fixin dinner and forgot about the LL home run double that scored two

49. unca_chuck said, on August 31, 2012 at 12:48 pm

Blanco is worse than useless at this point.

• Robbie Lou said, on August 31, 2012 at 1:22 pm

I think he’s better off the bench. He doesn’t understand hitting and often you see him taking pitches when he should be aggressive, and swinging when he should be patient. He’s another one with the goofy looks after striking out like he’s surprised. Bugs the hell out of me.

50. eddacker said, on August 31, 2012 at 12:48 pm

I wonder how hard it is to get planning permission to put bleachers on top of your building? I love Wrigley

• Bozo said, on August 31, 2012 at 12:55 pm

Not sure ed but they finally had to start paying the cubs from bucks they were making (they charge for those roof top seats). If I remember right the Cubs had threatened to put up a big screen to block the view.

• eddacker said, on August 31, 2012 at 1:01 pm

Thanks, mate, good info. first lights and next a big screen; I miss the old Wrigley. Damn the modern era

• blade3colorado said, on August 31, 2012 at 1:11 pm

Building owner’s attorney should have countered with additional building floors or a high rise. :-)

• snarkk said, on August 31, 2012 at 1:05 pm

The Cubs sued the landowners when those things first went up…

• eddacker said, on August 31, 2012 at 1:10 pm

Back in the day it was if you lived there or had a friend that did. Now the RNC can use that building as a vision of entrepreneurship run afoul of liberal Govt. regulations.

• Bozo said, on August 31, 2012 at 1:15 pm

I think they sued the land owners when they started charging but wasn’t it the threat of blocking the view that got the deal done? Either way, the Cubs now get proceeds from the apartment owners take.

• snarkk said, on August 31, 2012 at 1:36 pm

Bozo, the Cubs clearly sued to get some control and some money out of the situation. Which seems only right to me. If you live across the street and watch the game with your buds through the window or on the roof in patio chairs whilst chugging some Old Style, that’s the charm of Wrigley. When you turn the building into a 3 story lounge and bar and sell tix, then the lawyers get involved. These places are upscale, the top ticket for tommorrow’s game goes for $149 + tax, including unlimited food and drinks, and rooftop seat…

• Bozo said, on August 31, 2012 at 1:50 pm

Snarkk, I agree the Cubs deserved a take. But I remember the screen being the thing. I don’t believe everything on Wikipedia but what they say seems a bit closer to how I remember the whole thing but also includes a bit on how the Cubs weren’t allowed to expand Wrigley.

“The Cubs tolerated it quietly until the 1990s, when some owners of those apartments began building little bleacher sections, and charging people to watch the games. That was a whole different ball game, and the Cubs management became very vocal in expressing their displeasure, threatening legal action. In 2003 they went so far as to line the screens that top the outer walls with opaque strips, to block the best exterior sight lines. That was the closest thing to a spite fence that Wrigley had seen. Therefore the bleachers are sometimes called “The Spiteless Fence” as well as “The Ivy Wall”.

This led to meetings and to a peaceful settlement among the various parties. The building owners agreed to share a portion of their proceeds with the Cubs,[13] and the Cubs obtained permission from the city to expand the ballpark’s own bleachers out over the sidewalks and do some additional construction on the open area of the property to the west, bordered by Clark and Waveland, and to close the remnant of Seminary Avenue that also existed on the property. The rooftop seats are now effectively part of the ballpark’s seating area, although they are not included in the seating capacity figure.”

I used to spend a lot of time in Chicago (work and band) and maybe you have as well, so I guess we just remember things differently. Either way it’s really not something I want to go back and forth on, cheers.

51. Robbie Lou said, on August 31, 2012 at 1:20 pm

Posey’s power numbers off with Pence behind him, at least it seems. I prefer Belt, then Pence. Less pressure on Pence and Belt seems to me to be ready to step up.

52. eddacker said, on August 31, 2012 at 1:22 pm

Interesting about Hunter’s diet. I have been on it (or something very similar) for six weeks now. I only eat meat that I killed with my bare hands. Keeps me busy on the farms around here.

53. eddacker said, on August 31, 2012 at 1:27 pm

WOW! there are 17 buildings around the outfield that sell tickets. Known as “the official Cubs rooftop partners.
    What’s wrong with the other 5 owners with no tickets??

• PawlieKokonuts said, on August 31, 2012 at 1:30 pm

Maybe the Mets should concoct a some sort of deal with all those chop shops a block away.

54. Robbie Lou said, on August 31, 2012 at 1:33 pm

I see the chatter about Buster calling the wrong pitchers but why are our elite pitchers not shaking him off? Does he have some sort of mysterious powers or are they afraid of him? Sounds bizarro.

• eddacker said, on August 31, 2012 at 1:36 pm

these are the giants, remember? NL West leaders, how bizarre is that?

55. Alleykat said, on August 31, 2012 at 1:40 pm

You can blame the Astros if the Giants lose today.The Giants asked as a courtsey to start yesterdays game in the morning,they refused which is their rights.
    So instead of getting in Chicago earlier for this day game,they didnt get in until 3 am.Giants will file this in their memory banks in the future playing these pricks.

• snarkk said, on August 31, 2012 at 1:51 pm

They won’t be playing the ‘Stros anymore, except in interleague, or a WS. The sweep was the Gyros sendoff present for Houston as it moves to the AL…

• Wilcojoe said, on August 31, 2012 at 1:53 pm

Kat, not sure I could do an afternoon start after back to back night games. :)

56. twinfan1 said, on August 31, 2012 at 1:58 pm

Knowing they’ll need to counter Eastwood’s powerful perfprmance at the RNC, the Democarats will have Bryce Harper throwing tantrums and breaking a water cooler while bitching incoherently about the Ryan medicare plan\…

57. unca_chuck said, on August 31, 2012 at 2:05 pm

Wow. Now the strike zone tripled in size.

• Robbie Lou said, on August 31, 2012 at 2:12 pm

Sometimes you wonder if the umps think they are doing some cool when they hear cheering from the home team after they call a ball a strike. There were at least three bad calls in that half inning. All favored the home team.

58. unca_chuck said, on August 31, 2012 at 2:10 pm

One more hit and this gets real interesting . . .

59. DJLoo said, on August 31, 2012 at 2:11 pm

Shit, Belt had a nice 0-2 mistake to hit…

60. unca_chuck said, on August 31, 2012 at 2:17 pm

Jesus. i’ve never seen a strike zone go from tiny to bus-sized in between innings before.

61. eddacker said, on August 31, 2012 at 2:37 pm

tough loss, who voted for the giants lose in Wrigley with travel hangover?

62. eddacker said, on August 31, 2012 at 2:53 pm

Huff, Loux, Penny activated. Machi, Nady contracts purchased. Pill recalled. Freddy to 60 day DL Bruce says Nady may start tomorrow.

63. Flavor said, on August 31, 2012 at 3:30 pm

Nady starting tomorrow? Shit, if they’re going down that dark road I’d rather just have them start running Pill out there, too. No more Peguero, though. Or Blanco. Actually, whatever, throw ‘em all out there. Left FIeld is the blackest of black holes. How much blacker could it be you ask? Nigel Tufnel has the answer: *none more black*.

• unca_chuck said, on August 31, 2012 at 3:33 pm

Obscure Spinal Tap reference? Most excellent . . .

• DJLoo said, on August 31, 2012 at 3:54 pm

64. zumiee said, on August 31, 2012 at 3:33 pm

There was an early season “so much depends” moment that seemed to set a nice tone…..when Pill hit the 2-run homer off Kershaw to beat Kershaw and the Dodgers. After what Kershaw did to the Giants last season, it was nice to establish early that this season was going to be different.
    In addition, it made a 2 -games difference in the standings.

65. Flavor said, on August 31, 2012 at 3:34 pm

They’re adding Huff too? Jesus, what for? To memorize where the bases are? Shit, I’d rather have Linden up here. This *September call up* has got to be the worst, most uninspiring, under-whelming call up in the team’s history………

• Robbie Lou said, on August 31, 2012 at 3:40 pm

I can’t for the life of me recall anyone who fell from grace so unanimously as Huff. Last I saw him he looked woefully out of shape and had a big beer pot. What a shame.

• DJLoo said, on August 31, 2012 at 3:55 pm

I am 100% positive that the big contract ruined his marriage and his life…

66. Alleykat said, on August 31, 2012 at 4:26 pm

Bochy must of watched “The Natural” recently,with some obscure thought thinking Huff will pull a Roy Hobbs down the stretch.Yeah good luck with that one.
    Should have watched “Nightmare on Huff Street” instead.

• twinfan1 said, on August 31, 2012 at 5:06 pm

Did anyone really think they wouldn’t activate Huff ? He does have some power- and in September baseball even one dinger off the bench can be huge…And once Nady showed he had anything at all left., his call up was a given Not to say*exciting”..More interesting was loading up on long guys. At the least, Bochy is counting on even quicker hooks.

• snarkk said, on August 31, 2012 at 5:59 pm

I’ve gotta hand it to Huff. Although he didn’t make near the coin the Gamer did, at least the Gamer played most of his 4 seasons here. He basically only got paid for sitting on his ass just this one season and change from last year. Compare Huff — he got $22 million for basically falling off a career cliff and not contributing these past two seasons except for some “way to go” talk and claps when he rarely was in the dugout. You could say he got $25M for his contributions in 2010, including that key 2-run dinger in WS game 4. At the 10-year WS reunion day, he gets the polite applause, but really, that’s about all, we won’t want to talk about the other two years here…

• Flavor said, on August 31, 2012 at 6:20 pm

Why do you think he has power? Where has he shown it this year? He hit a bomb earlier this year somewhere and he banged one out for the San Jose Giants. Um…and…..nevermind.
        Did anyone ever see a video of him jumping over the railing to join the Cain P-game celebration? You’d think that would be on Comcast video somewhere. I really want to see it. Or if it even happened……..

• twinfan1 said, on August 31, 2012 at 6:35 pm

Whatever, he was going to be activated, liking it is optional.

• snarkk said, on August 31, 2012 at 7:01 pm

Ha, true dat…

67. willedav said, on August 31, 2012 at 6:19 pm

i wish Huff had ridden off into the sunset, but you can’t deny 2010. He hit 12 HRs out of ATT as a lefty and 26 over all. Anyone currently coming close to that? He played that year for $3 mill, which was quite a bargain. His health and his personal life have been a mess; hopefully once he’s away from baseball they both improve.

• Flavor said, on August 31, 2012 at 6:27 pm

I would guess that there were possibly 7 giants from 2010 (and maybe more) taking massive amounts of testosterone that year–Huff being one of them. Nothing else can explain the spectacular collapses of Huff, Torres, Uribe, Burrell, Sanchez and Cody Ross. I’d throw The Beard on that list too.
      Do I care? No, there are obviously lots of guys taking that shit. And if you don’t get caught I am cool with you. They won us a ring using it. I’m just surprised that SO MANY of them got away with it without getting busted (another example of what a stupid fucking idiot Melky is)
      I wouldn’t want to be a GM these days. How can you offer a big deal to someone if you can’t figure out if their performance is real or drug aided?

• twinfan1 said, on August 31, 2012 at 6:43 pm

So why did they collapse? They weren’t caught and detection is easy to avoid, shouldn’t they all have had excellent 2011’s as well ?

• snarkk said, on August 31, 2012 at 6:46 pm

So, Rohand was the only dude not on the juice? I hope he wasn’t, because if he was and still performed that badly, sheezus…

• Flavor said, on August 31, 2012 at 7:28 pm

they got paid and stopped taking it. Everyone should be able to see that now…….

68. willedav said, on August 31, 2012 at 6:27 pm

It’s painfully obvious some athletes cannot handle success—and then are woefully unprepared to handle anything worse, like failure. I remember watching Freeman williams as a college guy from Portland state play Santa Clara. He led the NCAA in scoring (with a high game of 82 points) and once averaged 20 a game for the Clippers, and I saw him play at the Sports Arena. He was part of a great backcourt of scorers alongside Brien Taylor and World B Free.
    guy wound up homeless in south central.

69. Flavor said, on August 31, 2012 at 6:29 pm

Look, maybe Huff has been cycling for the last month and he’s gonna come back with testosterone bursting out of his veins. But then, and only then, would I want to ever see another Huff at bat in a Giants uniform…….

• Bozo said, on August 31, 2012 at 7:25 pm

Dude, if he just lays down another bunt like game five, we’re gold.

70. snarkk said, on August 31, 2012 at 6:48 pm

Being over 50, if an extra bit of testosterone stiffens the wood, uh, bat that much, I’ve definitely got to gets me some of that …

71. Bozo said, on August 31, 2012 at 6:50 pm

Pawlie if you don’t mind (sorry, I’m not giving you a chance to respond) I’d like to go back to twin’s September Baseball post for a second. This team is reminding me more and more of 2010. Why you may ask? (Loo, no one really asked), In 2010 we had a bunch of guys who many of us had written off. Today’s game,we got down on Blanco, Pence and I even found myself ragging on Posey. Although the threads on the blog have been positive the reaction to some players has not. Now we’ve got kind of a Huff bash going (I”m not saying he doesn’t deserve it). Buuut, just like Rent, Panda, Freddie, Torres and Ross (or whoever in 2010) was bad mouthed by us, well, they proved us wrong. So twin, I hope you don’t mind my changing horses from your thread. My new guy, the guy that’s going to have everyone going “I love that guy” is Huff. Yup, this clown picks the Huffster to be the September surprise or perhaps, the November Renteria.

• TedSpe said, on August 31, 2012 at 7:16 pm

What’reya, a fucking clown?? Huff??

• Bozo said, on August 31, 2012 at 7:28 pm

Yup,Huff is my pick and I’m sticking with him. Just in case y’all have forgotten, he’s a sac bunting machine.

• TedSpe said, on August 31, 2012 at 7:32 pm

Oh yeah. Uno buntoro este…este… el bano (sorry. El bano was as far as I got in Spanish. Although it came in pretty fucking handy when I went to Mexico)

• zumiee said, on August 31, 2012 at 7:18 pm

• twinfan1 said, on August 31, 2012 at 7:43 pm

Well, I agree with Craig that this is hardly a thrilling group joining the guys tomorrow. – and I agree with Bozo that Huff could help the most. How many bigger plays than Ford’s against the Rockies were there down the stretch in 2010? As I’ve said, when the schedule shrinks it doesn’t take a lot to make the difference… with that said, sure it could be Pill or a surprising contribution from Nady-or it can go the other way.. After a couple of months of relative disinterest, I’m excited about baseball again…

72. snarkk said, on August 31, 2012 at 7:04 pm

The drug stuff would end immediately if the parties agreed in a CBA amendment that any player caught the first time doing PEDs would have the suspension, PLUS if there were a second violation, his team would have the option to VOID the remaining term of his contract…

73. Nipper said, on August 31, 2012 at 7:27 pm

Huff? Did someone mention Huff? Really?

• Bozo said, on August 31, 2012 at 7:29 pm

Yeah Nipper, break out the cheap cold ones. The Huffster is back in town

74. DJLoo said, on August 31, 2012 at 7:32 pm

Hilarious play by Ethier in RF….1-0 AZ

75. paulinasia said, on August 31, 2012 at 8:05 pm

I remember past seasons looking forward to the Sept. 1 call-ups, especially often getting a peak at a youngster who perhaps would break the lineup the following year and maybe even do something surprising now. Agree that this one is a combination of “huh?” and “bleh”…. but maybe they don’t really need it. Ok, here’s my anti-Dodger fantasy: Nady, long forgotten and over the hill, absolutely kicks ass and helps win a bunch of games while those Dodger additions flop and flounder as the Dogs sink like a stone…

76. Alleykat said, on August 31, 2012 at 8:14 pm

Do any of you think the day will ever come when we don’t see Eli Whiteside or Aubrey Huff in a Giants uni?

• Flavor said, on August 31, 2012 at 8:24 pm

Eli and Huff will be alive and lurking in the shadows at ATT long after any nuclear/natural/Mayan Calendar disaster destroys the rest of humanity……..

• Alleykat said, on August 31, 2012 at 8:32 pm

So True…Lqtm….And Freddy will be their guide in his power wheelchair.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on August 31, 2012 at 8:39 pm

How quick they forget.

• Flavor said, on August 31, 2012 at 8:44 pm

Hey, look no further than the pic of you and me in the Flap Photo Bucket to see how quickly we forget….
        Making jokes about players has never and should never be off limits to anyone. I mean, if that’s all ya got then you’re just going to be seen as an idiot.
        But joking about a player, especially if it’s funny, should be encouraged and celebrated—and that’s FOR EVERYTHING IN LIFE>>>>>>>>>>>>>
        But that’s just my opinion and I’m fine with those who see it differently………

• PawlieKokonuts said, on August 31, 2012 at 8:48 pm

I don’t mind the jabs at players; I just ain’t got anything funny to say. What — you think I’m Loo?

• Flavor said, on August 31, 2012 at 8:56 pm

Pawlie, you are, without question, THE MAN. Don’t ferggggit it! I don’t expect everyone to laugh at a player joke I just don’t want those who don’t find them funny to judge those who do. And there are judges among us. Judging…..

• eddacker said, on September 1, 2012 at 1:46 am

That’s a judgement call

77. paulinasia said, on August 31, 2012 at 8:28 pm

Could always just make Eli and Huff honorary ball dudes….. of course, Eli wouldn’t stop any foul smashes down the line….

78. TedSpe said, on August 31, 2012 at 8:41 pm

——————————————————————————————————
    Granted.
    But please, go ahead and use the word “cockroaches”

79. paulinasia said, on August 31, 2012 at 8:44 pm

Huff will always fondly be remembered for 2010, rightfully so. Unfortunately, he really was done after that, and should’ve probably just retired earlier this year when he had his “problems”. Maybe he’ll contribute with the occasional pinch hit in September, but I doubt it, and I’m thinking this is just a courtesy call for him to take one final bow to the fans. Not exactly fair to lump Freddy with Huff, except when in context of 2010, when he clearly was one of the key contributors to that team. It was only injuries that made 2010 his last hurrah; we’ll never know if he also would’ve been “done” without those injuries, but of course the injuries made it so, too soon, IMO.

• Flavor said, on August 31, 2012 at 8:51 pm

great post.
      Look, I fucking LOVE Aubrey Huff. If I could fuck him to thank him for 2010, I would do so–at least if I didn’t have to, you know, ACTUALLY fuck him. Ok, maybe I’d let HIM fuck me as long as I didn’t actually get….um….wait a minute….kinda feeling a TedSpe moment coming on…am I actually typing this????
      Point me to the delete button….STAT!
      The point is….I love Huff. I just don’t want to see him ever take another at bat for us before the end of time clicks it’s last second.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on August 31, 2012 at 8:55 pm

now that is funny

• TedSpe said, on August 31, 2012 at 9:09 pm

A TedSpe moment??!!!
        JESUS FUCKING CHRIST!!!
        I know. It’s not easy being me. Although that was fucking…well, whatever
        The point is you love Huff. (A little much) Not to be…alternative…but I also love what he did for the Giants in 2010. All the bullshit I read about his possible PHD’s…look at his stats. He’s always been a good year/bad year guy. My guess is after every good year he party’s on too much.
        That being said…
        he’s not a part of the Giants in 2012. He *might*, repeat, *might* have an impact off the bench. But I would rely on him as much as I rely on Gilligan getting me off the island.
        Again…a TedSpe moment? Is that a new lexicon?

• paulinasia said, on August 31, 2012 at 9:12 pm

Loved the Gilligan’s Island episode when the crates of genetically engineering vegetables washed up on the beach. I think it was Mary Ann who ate the carrots, and she could see ships way out on the horizon… way ahead of their time on the genetic engineering thing. Or maybe the veggies had been exposed to radiation, I don’t remember. Hell, I don’t even remember what vegetables I ate for lunch yesterday….

• Flavor said, on August 31, 2012 at 9:19 pm

Ted, I enjoy your *bedtime* posts more than you will ever know. Keep ‘em coming. It’s a chore to man Flavor Nation 24/7 especially in the wee-est of the hours. But between you, Edd, me and the rest of the crew we cover the darkest minutes wisely (with you guys taking the late night hours and me taking the sunrise)
        It’s too bad The Hangman was insane, he could have played a role here–at the very least a graveyard watchman……

• TedSpe said, on August 31, 2012 at 9:27 pm

Big Flavor. As long as there is a Flap and I am semi-conscience, there will be thorough overwhelming on this, the perfect, Giants Blog.
        Excuse me now. My Vietnamese neighbor, Kimi, has begun her exercises.
        I have to go get my binoculars

• Flavor said, on August 31, 2012 at 9:33 pm

thanks Teddy, you just sent me to bed with an actual out-loud laugh. And I really appreciate that, it has been a shitty fucking week……..

• paulinasia said, on August 31, 2012 at 9:13 pm

Obviously should’ve read “genetically engineered” veggies…

• eddacker said, on September 1, 2012 at 1:50 am

pedantically it would be genetically modified, in a true scientific rendering of the process.

80. PawlieKokonuts said, on August 31, 2012 at 8:53 pm

Just browsed through some of the great photo bucket selections. Man, I forgot about the Jesus sign. Will have to add to my account. Got some pix to send at some point. Also, the pix of Blade at the Marichal statue is, well, cuh-razy. So Cali!

81. PawlieKokonuts said, on August 31, 2012 at 8:57 pm

Our dog just threw up three times. Now that is not funny. Except it wasn’t in my room. hahahaha. Why say that here? It has no relevance to anything. Delete it.

• TedSpe said, on August 31, 2012 at 9:17 pm

I have the power to delete it…I have the permission…I have the hyperbole….
      But I won’t

82. paulinasia said, on August 31, 2012 at 8:58 pm

Yeah, Pawlie, I also just went to the photo bucket, great to see those pics. Wish I had some Giants-related pics to share. Someone send me a Giants t-shirt and I’ll get one of my local lovelies to model it for the Flap…..

• PawlieKokonuts said, on August 31, 2012 at 9:02 pm

“Local lovelies.” Me like. Have ‘em just wear the shirt. Nothing else. After a monsoon.

• Flavor said, on August 31, 2012 at 9:05 pm

See, now THAT is fucking GOLD…….

• paulinasia said, on August 31, 2012 at 9:16 pm

But of course, Pawlie, that is exactly what I had in mind. Honestly, I’ve seen a lot of beauty in my life, but nothing is finer than a lovely Asian girl just coming out of the shower, freshly scrubbed and scented, hair hanging long and black and wet and sweet smelling, wearing nothing but one of my t-shirts. My life is fulfilled.

• unca_chuck said, on August 31, 2012 at 10:06 pm

Speaking of wood, keep talking . . .

83. PawlieKokonuts said, on August 31, 2012 at 9:01 pm

Anyone see the end of the Rays-Jays game? Guy tries to score on sac fly. Boom. Out at plate. Game over. Ouch.

• TedSpe said, on August 31, 2012 at 9:39 pm

Strangely, I didn’t. And I say strangely because I wouldn’t have even given a fuck if I hadn’t read your book. Which will be the topic of my next thread

84. paulinasia said, on August 31, 2012 at 9:19 pm

Well, me thinks it’s Labor Day weekend in the US… the unofficial end of summer that as a child always came way too quickly, but also the beginning of the home stretch for baseball. Also a long weekend holiday here, their Independence Day (Ho Chi Minh declaring independence from France on Sept. 2nd, ’45). Hope Flapper Nation has a great weekend.

85. TedSpe said, on August 31, 2012 at 9:21 pm

———————————————————————————————————————–
    You talk the talk, my friend. Now…walk the walk

• paulinasia said, on August 31, 2012 at 9:24 pm

I used to have a Giants t-shirt, but no longer. I promise, Ted, I will make it happen….. I have the local lovelies, just don’t have the shirt…… :-)

• TedSpe said, on August 31, 2012 at 9:35 pm

When you get right down to it…shirts aren’t necessary.
        Okay, Okay, that was just wrong.
        Seriously, where do we send the shirts, what sizes are required and do they have sisters here in the Bay Area where we can try fittings? Purely for esthetic reasons of course.

• paulinasia said, on August 31, 2012 at 9:55 pm

Of course the shirts aren’t necessary. Why do you think I say that I have the lovelies, but not the shirt?….. :-) But for Flap purposes, well…. One size fits all. The girls as you would likely guess are not large, but the bigger the shirt, the sexier, as it hangs down low enough that they could wear the thing as a dress. And yes, they likely do have sisters or more likely “cousins”, obscurely family related in some way, in the Bay area. Hey, just take a walk down in Little Saigon in San Jose, or out in the Richmond or Sunset, you might even spot ‘em wearing a Giants shirt already. That’s your mission should you choose to accept it. Good luck, and good day.

• TedSpe said, on August 31, 2012 at 10:17 pm

Oh Paul, Paul, Paul. You’ve been away from San Francisco far too long, my friend. We have a “Little Saigon” now in the San Francisco Tenderloin. The Vietnamese community is not just stuck in San Jose although it is still prevelent there. They have been working real hard for the past few years to make the Tenderloin in San Francisco family friendly and allowing the Vietnamese communitty to embrace their love of America along with their remembrence and love of their culture right here. Granted, they haven’t won the battle yet especially at night time but God love them they never give up. As for me? I’m taking my little Vietnamese honey to Yoshi’s in Japantown on the 8th to see Chic Corea and Stanley Jordan. She’s bringing along her super fine friend Rose who I allowed to completely fuck up my 2011 taxes. Yeah, she messed up. But hopefully, I can get a guilt threesome out of it (Oh GOD!. I’m starting to sound like TedSpe)

86. TedSpe said, on August 31, 2012 at 10:04 pm

REVRET!!!!
    Goodnight, gentlemen (?)

87. unca_chuck said, on August 31, 2012 at 10:34 pm

I’m out early tomorrow, so I posted my shit now.

Sorry to break up the Asian appreciation hour. . . .

• TedSpe said, on August 31, 2012 at 10:39 pm

Cool. That grants me time to beat Nipper at the first post. But first, an homage to the Asian Appreciation hour…

88. TedSpe said, on August 31, 2012 at 10:42 pm

• TedSpe said, on August 31, 2012 at 10:55 pm

That fucking mean bitch reminds me of my favorite…lady
      I’ll never forget her. And I’ll always love her.

89. Macdog said, on August 31, 2012 at 11:01 pm

Dodgers lose in 11!

90. eddacker said, on September 1, 2012 at 1:20 am

Nady played for Bochy in SD so Twin is very right: his callup was a given.

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 493 other followers