The Media: Old and New

Posted in Uncategorized by tedspe on September 5, 2012

Disappointing and long game last night. Oh well. Nothing changed in the standings and the boys of San Francisco never gave up. CSNBA’s after game analysis however? In a word. Flatulent. And someone needs to slap the “smug” right off Greg Papa’s face.

Also, I caught the post game wrap show and it dawned on me that it’s actually kind of annoying to watch as well.You know, when Krup and Kuip and Miller and Fleming do their little run-downs and players of the game on TV. Especically annoying is Duane Kuiper who seems to be wishing he were anywhere else, waving at someone off camera– looking off with a distant glance signaling some dingo with his mic like he’s guiding some child’s remote control plane for a landing.

That being said, for whatever reason I *do* enjoy listening to this shtick on the radio. Go figure.And so we shall.

Don’t get me wrong, modern television is an amazing thing. Matt Cain’s perfect game was the first one I’d ever seen and I would have missed it if it weren’t for television. But still modern TV sports coverage, especially when it’s on FOX…SUX. And a lot of modern sports radio can be downright wrenching.

But there’s still something about baseball on the radio.

I know a number of us have mentioned before that as kids we would watch TV with the sound down and listen to the game on the radio. But now 21st Century broadcasting’s so convoluted you can’t do that anymore as the timing’s off by a few seconds (unless you want to get all clever with TIVO or something). And even today, when a game is especially tense like last night and I’m legally sober, sometimes I’ll turn off the TV, jump in the car and drive around listening to the game. It has a certain calming effect on me.

Maybe I’m just nostalgic but there was something that seemed a little more pure in my youth with the whole radio/baseball connection. And it wasn’t just for listening to games. There seemed to be a lot of shows just talking about baseball and sports in general on the radio before they became forums for the listening audience to call in doing what often enough comes off as an unintentionally bad Dennis Hopper imitation:

————————————————————————————————————————————————————————–

Marty Lurie: Okay, we’ve got Pinhead on the line. Go ahead, Pinhead. What’s on your mind?

Pinhead: Yeah, man, like Bochy, man? What are they gonna say about him? What are they gonna say? That he was a kind man? That he was a wise man? That he had plans, man? That he had wisdom? Bullshit, man!

Marty Lurie: Interesting thoughts, Pinhead. Are you referring to any strategies or moves in particular? Can you be more…

Pinhead: All nine innings, man, all nine innings! One through nine, no maybes, no supposes, no fractions. You can’t travel in space, you can’t go out into space, you know, without, like, you know, uh, with fractions – what are you going to land on – one-quarter, three-eighths? What are you going to do when you go from here to Venus or something? That’s dialectic physics.

Marty Lurie: Okay, okay. Good thoughts. Good thoughts. I think I see where you’re going with this. So tell me do you….

Pinhead: And he’ll just walk right by Brandon Belt, man. He won’t even notice him. And suddenly he’ll grab him, and he’ll throw him in a corner, and he’ll say, “Do you know that ‘if’ is the middle word in life? If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs and blaming it on you, if you can trust yourself when all men doubt you”… I mean Belt and Crawdaddy, Crawfish, Crawford and Whitey and Panda and fucking giraffes and fucking Melk-Maids and Maidens and fucking Timmy and perfect games and.. and me, man… no, I can’t… I’m a little man, I’m a little man, he’s… he’s a great man! I should have been a pair of ragged claws, crawdaddy claws, scuttling across floors of silent seas…

Marty Lurie: All right, then, uhm, yeah I get it… good call Pinhead, good call. A lot of good points. A lot of things to think about but we have to move on with some other callers…

Pinhead: I’m fucking splitting, Jack.

———————————————————————————————-

Yes. Love today’s TV. Love today’s radio. Mainly due to immediate access to facts and stats. Still. Radio was much better in the good old days. Even *before* our days. In that vein, I now leave you with an excerpt from the underappreciated Woody Allen film RADIO DAYS:

“Hello, sports fans and welcome to today’s edition of Bill Kern’s ‘Favorite Sports Legends.’ Today’s story is about a baseball player. His name was Kirby Kyle, a lean southpaw from Tennessee. He played for the old St. Louis Cardinals. He threw fast, and he had a good curve ball and all the hitters knew it. He was a kid with a great future.

But one day, he went hunting. He loved to hunt, just like his father and his father’s father. Chasing a rabbit, he stumbled, and his rifle went off. The bullet entered his leg. Two days later, it was amputated. They said he would never pitch again. But the next season, he was back. He had one leg but he had something more important. He had heart.

The following winter, another accident cost Kirby Kyle an arm. Fortunately, not his pitching arm. He had one leg and one arm, but more than that, he had heart. The next winter, going after duck, his gun misfired. He was blind but he had instinct as to where to throw the baseball. Instinct…and heart.

The following year, Kirby Kyle was run over by a truck and killed. The following season, he won 18 games in the Big League in the sky. This has been Bill Kern with another ‘Favorite Sports Legend.’”

About these ads

1. chipower9 said, on September 5, 2012 at 8:20 am

Great thread, Ted. Damn…I’m a poet and didn’t know it.

Yeah, I still love baseball on the radio. The lady and I went out for a bite last night, so I caught the beginning on the radio. Just listening the the descriptions by Miller…awesome stuff.

I grew up listening to baseball more on the radio than watching it on TV. And yes, it sucks that you no longer can turn down the boob tube and fire up the radio and have it all in synch. Technology? WTF.

Anyway, tough loss last night, but as many mentioned, the Bums lost, too. And I think it was Pawlie mentioned that regardless, our magic number shrunk by one.

I am beginning to worry about Vogey. I think five starts now where he has been really off. Has he hit the proverbial wall?

New day today…go get ‘em Giants. Win today equals a series win, and shrinks “that number” by one more.

• Bozo said, on September 5, 2012 at 8:50 am

The last six games (counting last night) Vogs is 3-2 with a 7.62 ERA and 1.76 WHIP. For those six games he has pitched 28.1 innings with three of those games being 3 innings or less. (3.1, 3.0 and 2.2). Also included in those stats is his last 7 inning outing (8/8 at STL) where he didn’t allow a run, so yeah the last five starts have been worrisome.

2. ewisco said, on September 5, 2012 at 8:36 am

How the hell am i supposed to follow that?

It’s looking to me like the entire starting staff good use a day off, vogie in particular. they get tomorrow but that’s not the same thing as skipping a turn in the rotation. Someone was telling me that these five have started every game and not missed a start. thought it was some sort of record. i still think i’d give vogie a day and start maybe runzler. the problem with that is the bullpen is pretty beat up. i guess that’s why bochy makes the big bucks.

3. Nipper said, on September 5, 2012 at 8:41 am

Radio is still a worthy alternative in a video world.

• chipower9 said, on September 5, 2012 at 9:24 am

Video is still a worthy alternative in the baseball world.

4. willedav said, on September 5, 2012 at 8:51 am

Dodgers lost a game last night where they had a 2 run lead and Kershaw on the mound. They don’t have anyone better and Jansen is still out. Now they’re gonna skip a Blanton start to get Kershaw back in there sunday at ATT. Risky move by Mattingly with so many games still to go. I just think bochy has more bullets in his arsenal and has a better feel for pen mgmt.
    Giants have days off each of next two thursdays, so hopefully SPs can regroup and gather their strength. Only guy to go two innings out of the pen was romo, who was lights out. Like to see Bum make them unneeded tonite.
    Btw, K and K got mentioned in cbs site game recap for doing the game from CF. They reported weather as being 57 degrees at gametime–summer in SF as we all know.

5. Macdog said, on September 5, 2012 at 8:51 am

Tough loss, but no harm, no foul. As Steward said on the Merc blog, the Dodgers “lost on a night Clayton Kershaw was pitching, which must feel like losing a double-header to them. They had a 3-1 lead, too, and coughed it away.”

I’m with E, tomorrow’s day off couldn’t come at a better time for the starters.

6. Bozo said, on September 5, 2012 at 9:04 am

I have never been a fan of Greg Papa. The guy I really miss is Hank Greenwald (hey Larry Baer, grow some stones dude. Hank was great for the fans, you’re just a front for the owners). I think Hank’s son Doug is good and should be calling games now at the ML level.

• chipower9 said, on September 5, 2012 at 9:27 am

I think he is still the play-by-play guy for Fresno…

7. Flavor said, on September 5, 2012 at 9:39 am

I miss Grennwald, too. Besides liking his voice I thought he was the best Giant’s radio guy when it came to feeling the excitement of the moment in his voice.
    I still like radio but I don’t really get *into* it for a few innings and then I’m all good.
    I know San Dawg prefers radio these days.

• snarkk said, on September 5, 2012 at 10:01 am

I never thought Hank was that great. He was OK, good I suppose in comparison to alternatives, but not great. His voice tone and timbre rubbed me the wrong way. And, he seemed too clinical in his game descriptions. He was professional, always prepared, and told good stories, blah blah blah, but, just didn’t push my buttons much. Hank’s kid has been in Fresno quite a while and hasn’t got an MLB gig, so that has to tell you something about how he’s perceived in the marketplace. I hope he does get an MLB gig in the future, but with another club. If you’re really good, like Flemming, you get an MLB gig fairly quickly…

• eddacker said, on September 5, 2012 at 10:24 am

Sacrilege!!
        Hank is a God, nary a miss in my listening days.

• snarkk said, on September 5, 2012 at 10:36 am

To each his own, Edd.
        Hank was fine, I just didn’t come within an area code of shedding a tear when they canned his ass the first time, or when he retired/Baer let him go the second time. IMO, Miller was a huge upgrade…
        As Nippy would say, “Sniff”…

• Bozo said, on September 5, 2012 at 1:23 pm

” If you’re really good, like Flemming”
        Yes, to each his own.

• snarkk said, on September 5, 2012 at 1:27 pm

I’m not necessarily calling Flemming “really good” for myself. I find him average, and his situational explanations tend to be tedious, and he’s getting better at actually criticizing play when it’s warranted. But, obviously others consider him really good, and up and coming, since he’s in demand for ESPN assignments and Stanford athletics, and he was brought on board by the Giants at a very young age. If I had to choose between him and Hank, I’d choose Flemming now…

• Bozo said, on September 5, 2012 at 2:14 pm

That’s cool, I’d go with Hank. Just wondering though, do you think that Miller being Flemming’s idol might have helped a bit in the job interview?
        Getting a national gig like ESPN, NBC or FOX is great and good for him, personally that’s where I thought Miller really shined. But some of the networks have taken on some dogs. From the Giants I’d use Ted Robinson for an example, I can’t stand that dude.

• snarkk said, on September 5, 2012 at 5:46 pm

Clown, I have no clue what interview goodies Flemm came up with that got him the Giants gig. Lotsa folks probably have/had Miller as their bcast idol. May have had a lot to do with fans voicing their disdain for Joe Angel. Good timing for Flemm, as it were. As for Ted Robinson, IMO he’s OK. Cerebral type, maybe a little over analytical. Certainly I’ll take him over Starkey for the Niners. Starkey has just turned terrible, they can’t kick him off the Cal broadcasts soon enough for me…

8. unca_chuck said, on September 5, 2012 at 9:42 am

Flav, this ain’t a knock on you, but these threads are incredible. Ted, this is epic. You do a real good Hopper . . .

Yeah. I don’t seem to be listening to the games on the radio as much as I used to, but the weirdest/greatest game I listened to in recent memory was game 3 of the NLDS vs Atl. I had to take my daughters back to school, so we tried to watch as much of the game as possible before leaving. We had to go, though, so I turned off the TV and we were all piling into the car when Eric Hinskie walked up to the plate in the bottom of the 8th. We all get in, and I turn on the radio, ads are going, safe in the knowledge that we had a 1-0 run lead going into the top of the 9th.

John Miller starts talking about Hinskie’s shocking home run in the bottom of the 8th, and I almost drove into a tree. All five of us in the car are yelling. Oh no! Shit! What happened?!?!? We’re going to be down a game with one more in Atl! Ahhrrgh!!! Shit, it’s over!

So, the top of the 9th starts and we are hanging on every pitch. Ross pops out. Ishi gets the biggest walk of his life by taking some tough pitches.Torres takes a called third for the 2nd out, and Freddie immediately goes to 0-2 on some wicked fastballs. I’m saying, shit. Freddie’s not seeing Kimbrel at all, he’ll blow him away. Game over. For reasons I’ll never understand, Kimbrel goes offspeed, and Freddie grounds it up the middle for a base hit. Ishi goes to 2nd. Pandemonium in the car.

To make the drama even more palpable, Cox takes Kimbrel out. Pitching change. We are all freaking out driving down the freeway. Huff comes up to the plate and in John Miller’s words “hits a line drive to right field!!” We are all agonizing over whether it’s in the air, will be caught, or if it will hit the ground. It is the longest 0.5 seconds of my life waiting for the call. Miller then shouts out “Base hit! ISHIKAWA ROUNDS 3RD AND HE WILL SCORE!!” We are all yelling and screaming in the car. I’m honking the horn, one or 2 of the cars around us are doing the same thing.

Posey steps to the plate, and we’re all just thinking, cool. we can do extras. At least we have the opportunity to extend the game, and the feeling is confirmed when Buster hits a routine grounder to Brooks Conrad. Miller again shouts “It’s under his glove! Sanchez rounds 3rd and HE will score!!” Again, pandemonium on I-80. Honking, screaming, windows down, I’m now yelling out the window. Craziness!

Weezy comes in for the save, and it is farily uneventful, if uneventful is howling and screaming at every strike thrown, every out recorded, and groaning at every ball off the plate. Someone singled with 2 outs, and a little more drama was ratcheted up as Weezy went deep in seemingly every AB, but BW got the last out on a grounder to 2nd. McClouth I think. Unreal game, and I was glad I taped it before I left.

So, for only listening to really one inning of the game on the radio, that is how I remember that game. Yeah, it was the Brooks Conrad bobble-fest, but if the Giants lose that game, they are in serious trouble going down 2-1 with one for game in Atl. As it was, they shut them down in game 4, and the rest is history.

• chipower9 said, on September 5, 2012 at 10:08 am

Great re-cap, Chuck. Awesome memories…let’s hope they write another memorable October chapter this year.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on September 5, 2012 at 8:39 pm

Gee, Chuck, that is such a lyrically perfect rendition (by heart???!!) that I am speechless and jealous. It is fabulous. Great. Thanks. Wish I could steal it as my own experience and throw it in my book.

9. snarkk said, on September 5, 2012 at 9:54 am

Epic, Ted. The Hamlet soliloquy of threads.
    I listen to the Giants more than I watch, even if I can watch. The game seems to have more of a rhythm that way. This year I’ve noticed Miller and Kuiper seem to be making more mistakes, more abortive calls, missed player names, etc. They’re getting older. And, yeah, as I’ve said before, watching that post-game “wrap” is just bad news. Kuiper and/or Kruk seem to be pretty much always eating or drinking something in between comments, and not always just off camera. The lip smacking doesn’t make great TV, or radio. And, Kuiper does seem like he’s antsy and bored and ready to hit the parking lot and head back to Blackhawk ASAP…

10. Bozo said, on September 5, 2012 at 10:06 am

The car is my favorite for the radio. I don’t know if it’s still the case but the final weeks, Play offs and WS games in 89 and even 2002, downtown was like the 50s or 60s all over again. All the shoeshine guys, flower stands, news guys, homeless and just folks walking around had the few day/early evening games going on the radio. I don’t recall many having headphones on. All the suits, bike messengers and folks like me headed to a bar to watch the games, would slow down and catch a bit from the radios. It really helped get you fired up.

11. eddacker said, on September 5, 2012 at 10:16 am

I am a little jealous. You have over the air radio. You have the comcast or whatever pregame and postgame shows. You have AmyG. If I don’t search the internet I would have no baseball information at all. Last year the world series was covered on the newscasts. It was one sentence. Ahh, well.

I do have MLB TV on the computer. And they have improved it this year where i can choose the audio. SF tv, opposing teams tv, KNBR (where I do get the pregame) and opposing team radio. Which is especially good when the broadcast is ESPN or FOX I can choose knbr to listen to.

Excellent essay, Sir Ted. Keep ‘em coming.

12. ewisco said, on September 5, 2012 at 10:36 am

I confess that i listened to the WS on the radio. I couldn’t stand the fox guys. it was at least 5 – 7 seconds behind the radio. but it turned out to be pretty cool. i could process the play before seeing it. Kept my nerves much more under control.

Ted, the pinhead segment is just frigging classic. great capture of ML. I don’t know how he does it. I can’t stand listening to the knuckleheads.

• unca_chuck said, on September 5, 2012 at 12:20 pm

I’ve tried that, and I can’t take the disparity. It’s like when I’ll all a buddy on the phone, and he’s like 6 seconds in front of me. It is a bitch.

13. unca_chuck said, on September 5, 2012 at 12:07 pm

The thing I really enjoyed about Greenwald was his ability to make a crap-ass loss at least entertaining to listen to. He certainly called more than his share of shitty games.

14. chipower9 said, on September 5, 2012 at 1:10 pm

Greenwald was great, but I like Miller, better. Love him doing Scully. Here is a clip of him doing Scully not only in English, but also Japanese and Spanish.

15. unca_chuck said, on September 5, 2012 at 1:51 pm

Miller is pretty awesome. I do like his style. His impression of Scully is spot-on.

Yeah, the post-game is usually Kuiper shovelling food into his mouth as fast as he can, and the others giving Flemming veiled shit the whole time.

• chipower9 said, on September 5, 2012 at 2:31 pm

I think Flemming is turning into quite a good broadcaster, too.

16. Alleykat said, on September 5, 2012 at 1:52 pm

Wow, looking at the boxscore this morning,the Giants used more pitchers 11 then AL team uses players in their LU’s.

17. unca_chuck said, on September 5, 2012 at 1:54 pm

And yeah, back to the thread, Papa is a dick. Never liked him, never will. Guy I like is someone whose name I can’t remember. From Sacto. Ahhh, Greg Kozimor. I was flying to Houston on business and it happened to be when the womes’s b-ball team was playing Houston in the WNBA playoffs a while back. Had a chance to talk with him briefly, he’s a very nice guy.

• snarkk said, on September 5, 2012 at 5:48 pm

Jim Kozimor.
      Beg to differ, but IMO, he sucks. He does KNBR sometimes on weekends. Terrible…

18. eddacker said, on September 5, 2012 at 1:58 pm

Brandon McCarthy hit in head by line drive, walks to dugout on own feet.

19. eddacker said, on September 5, 2012 at 2:09 pm

Ugly, off his head just behind the ear, goes on one bounce to third baseman who throws runner out.
    Hopefully it looked a lot worse than it is, sounded awful, knocked him down, but not unconscious.

20. zumiee said, on September 5, 2012 at 2:40 pm

Kuiper’s thing in the wrap is that it’s his way of showing the TV audience that this stuff is “extra,” and he’s obviously not thrilled about doing it. Krukow is always ready to keep talking ball. You get the feeling Krukow would live at the ballpark if they’d let him. They probably WOULD let him, actually.
    Great job on the post, Ted. I could totally hear Hopper and Lurie’s voices on that dialog. You nailed it.

21. demp28 said, on September 5, 2012 at 3:30 pm

Ah, yes. Baseball on the radio. Right up there with John “The Voice of God” Facenda reciting poetry. Nothing beats it. It demands your attention. It makes the day refreshing. It captivates you as you listen to every detail, every pitch as you bite your nails hoping the home team comes through with that game winning hit. And all is right with the world
    From Lon Simmons to Hank Greenwald to Jon Miller, they all painted a picture in their own way describing the play on the field. Keeping score listening on the radio was a hobby of mine growing up. Baseball…on the radio. You have to love it.

22. DJLoo said, on September 5, 2012 at 4:14 pm

I’ve never flown anywhere on “business”.

• Nipper said, on September 5, 2012 at 4:39 pm

To hell with business.

• snarkk said, on September 5, 2012 at 5:49 pm

That’s a long flight…

23. blade3colorado said, on September 5, 2012 at 4:48 pm

Wow! Unrelated to baseball, ABC World News summarized a new medical research study that indicates that the average NFL football player takes the equivalent of 1200 to 1500 head shots each season . . . and each hit is equivalent to being hit in the head by a sledge hammer.

• Bozo said, on September 5, 2012 at 5:04 pm

Wait, are they saying I shouldn’t be hitting my head with a sledge hammer? Damn that ABC World News, taking my last bit of fun from me.

• unca_chuck said, on September 5, 2012 at 5:17 pm

1500 shots with a sledgehammer wpould do a little more damage than some concussions. 1500 shots with a sledgehammer would reduce your skull to a flat bloody pancake.

• blade3colorado said, on September 5, 2012 at 5:27 pm

Yeah, it was ridiculous what they were saying Chuck. They actually showed a sledge hammer breaking bricks as a visual. Umm, right. Anywho, if a wide receiver sees this ABC report, then has to go across the middle on Sunday, I can imagine that their only thought is “alligator arms” and sledgehammers pulverizing bricks.

• DJLoo said, on September 5, 2012 at 5:26 pm

There’s between 1200 and 1500 reasons why that can’t possibly be accurate…

24. blade3colorado said, on September 5, 2012 at 5:33 pm

Take it up with Diane Sawyer. lqtm . . .

25. unca_chuck said, on September 5, 2012 at 5:33 pm

Jesus H Christ. ESPN might as well change it’s name to the Tim Tebow network. All Tim all the time. I think Sanchez doesn’t stand a chance against the onslaught of media, fans, and unreal expectations.

• snarkk said, on September 5, 2012 at 5:53 pm

ESPN has faded to irrelevance for any sports fan of West Coast teams in any sport, other than the Lakers, maybe, maybe the Dodgers and Angels. Otherwise, for West Coasters there’s no reason to view it or listen to their radio network. Nada but Yankees, Rsox (even though they’re terrible and irrelevant now, the news flogged now is the Valentine death watch), NYGiants, Jets, Pats, Eagles. They hardly mention the Rskins…

• Flavor said, on September 5, 2012 at 5:57 pm

I haven’t watch ESPN for more than a few seconds in…I don’t know how long. I visit their site where I can discriminate the topics offered but I don’t watch the tv feed.
        Anyone got a prediction on Timmy tonight? The starters have been pretty so-so lately. I still can’t get over Bochy using 11 pitchers in 11 innings. That has to be a record.
        I’m gonna say Timmy goes 5 innings, 3ER, 3 walks, 7 hits, 3 K’s…
        I haven’t tossed out a prediction since my “Melky will win the all star game MVP” call.
        Today, that seems like a fairly hollow score………

26. Flavor said, on September 5, 2012 at 6:02 pm

I’ve been pretty out of pocket the last 24 hours or so and haven’t read a thing about the game last night. But I am trying to wrap my brain around 11 pitchers in 11 innings. I could see 11 pitchers in 18 innings (in September) but 11 in 11? That’s just not thinking past the 9th inning, IMO. And that was WITH Romo going 2 innings!!!!!!
    We all know what a genius Bochy is at BP mix and match shit but 11 pitchers in 11 innings is a huge fail,
    And I say this without having watched the game last night and will respect differing opinions……

• zumiee said, on September 5, 2012 at 6:11 pm

It’s kind of weird not to know, as a fan, who’s coming in at any given situation. It’s not an ideal situation for the team, obviously. In basketball, teams get a substitute rotation going as the season goes on, players have a good idea when they’re going in. Last night, when the score was tied in the 8th inning, I had walked out of the room a moment, and when I came back in, it took me a while to figure out who was pitching for the Giants. Tie score, 8th inning, you’d really like the pitcher to be someone you immediately recognize.

• snarkk said, on September 5, 2012 at 6:11 pm

I questioned it last night, whether at some point the fact that you CAN go left, right, left, right ad nauseum with all the pitchers now up will, at some point, become self defeating. How can the catcher process all those guys strengths and weaknesses and put that into a smart pitch call? I hope he doesn’t do it again…

• Flavor said, on September 5, 2012 at 6:22 pm

How embarrassing would it have been to run out of pitchers in like the 12th and have to start warming up a position player from the bench?
        Agree with you, hope he has a little more foresight and doesn’t ever do this again….
        11 pitchers in 11 innings, that was hilarious……..

• DJLoo said, on September 5, 2012 at 6:45 pm

Seems like they only have 2 starters (Bum-Cain) and 2 relievers (Lopez-Romo) that can be counted on most of the time right now…

• PawlieKokonuts said, on September 5, 2012 at 6:45 pm

Yeah, although you want all these games are must-win affairs, it smacked too much of desperation.

• Bozo said, on September 5, 2012 at 7:02 pm

I’m not sure but I kept thinking Boch didn’t believe his long guys could go long, so he used everyone but Murph. If we would have scored that runner on third in the 8th nobody would have cared, except maybe whoever had to ice down the whole pitching staff.

27. PawlieKokonuts said, on September 5, 2012 at 6:44 pm

Ted, your thread is so brilliant, on about eight levels. It is pure genius. Another illustration of how and why this blog is nonpareil (is that a word?) and with no commercials or ads, thank you, Magnus. Is that based on a real call to Marty Lurie (with whom I am not the least familiar)? Yoikes. And this sentence, this sentence just about brought me to tears, it’s so fecking honest and real”

*And even today, when a game is especially tense like last night and I’m legally sober, sometimes I’ll turn off the TV, jump in the car and drive around listening to the game. It has a certain calming effect on me.*

Deep thanks.

28. paulinasia said, on September 5, 2012 at 6:51 pm

Yeah, gotta agree with the above posts about the bullpen; Zum, if you’re confused about who’s pitching now and/or who is sequentially up next in certain situations, I’m guessing the relievers themselves are too. I’ve said this before, so I apologize, and I’ll try not to say it again after this (following Flap rules, of course), but relief pitching does seem to be the one role that works best with a process of known and accepted roles, and when that’s out the window, the whole scheme is off. They actually pitched well yesterday, a bunch of zeros put up until the end, and they have been winning, so it’s difficult to say Bochy should stop doing it, but IMO, Bochy should STOP doing it. It’s bound to catch up to the team at some point. He seems to be pulling a Belt on Casilla, for reasons unknown.

September games, Bochy says, mean more. Some comments I’ve seen criticize that, saying every game all season long is important. Statistically, yes. But I view this game that’s about to start as being very key, because winning would prevent a “losing streak”, even of just 2 games. You can go on a skid of losing 5 games in a row in May or even August, and that’s ok, but not in September; just not enough time to get those wins back again. Pennant races are lost because of September skids. Wind it up, boys…..

29. Flavor said, on September 5, 2012 at 7:19 pm

Just flipped on the game and….Timmy isn’t even pitching. Brain fart. Prediction for him still stands–whenever he takes the hill next. Hope it’s soon–or the prediction starts looking a little lame….

30. SanDawg said, on September 5, 2012 at 7:23 pm

I got the kids tonight and we’re knee deep in homework. (In 2 days I’ll have 2 teen-agers and a 21 yr old—yikes) Just browsed today’s thread and it is right up my alley so I must chime in. I’ve said many times here that I think Flemming is terrific. I literally lay awake at night (another one of Flav and I’s similarities is that neither of us sleeps real well and we’re early risers) worrying that he’ll take a top dog gig somewhere else. I’ve also voiced many times my lack of love for Kruik and Kuip. Too many tired phrases that to me are aimed toward keeping non-fans entertained. “House-wife Humor” I like to call it. I could do a list, but my youngest needs help with her math. I love Miller as well and I thought Greenwald was pretty good, but not in a league with Miller and Flem.
    If the Pads new ownership was smart, they’d make Flem an offer he couldn’t resist. Their current broadcasters are pretty bad and I think having solid broadcasters is one of the pillars of having a glamorous franchise. Go Giants.

31. sandog said, on September 5, 2012 at 7:25 pm

I was gonna say….Friday is Timmy v Beckett isn’t it? Would have been epic a couple of years back, but I still consider it must-see TV even if it is my daughter’s b-day and I have to listen to Kook and Kwipe.

32. ODB said, on September 5, 2012 at 7:47 pm

Amy G looks like she was ridden hard and put away wet

33. PawlieKokonuts said, on September 5, 2012 at 7:53 pm

I like K&K but it is based on a tiny sample, compared to y’all. also, I can’t disengage them from the events I associate with them, namely 2010 and Das Ring. Plus, I can’t separate the fact of meeting them in July in Pittsburgh and how cordial they were. I’ve listened to others, and I think K&K’s key charm is how natural they seem to be together. BTW, Steve Blass tells a great story in his book (I’m 3/4 done) about Bob Prince (“Gunner”). It was game 7 of the 1971 WS. Blass was pacing in the dugout, before the 9th. He just wanted to go back out and pitch. He takes a walk into the clubhouse and sees Gunner getting ready for possible victory interview. Baseball players are highly superstitious. Blass was worried Gunner’s presence down there would jinx everything in a tight pitchers’ battle. Blass: “What the hell are you doing down here?” Gunner: “Me? What the hell are you doing in here? Get your ass out of here and get me some outs so I can go to work. Okay?” BTW, happy birthday, Bill Mazeroski, 76.

• SanDawg said, on September 5, 2012 at 8:12 pm

That is a great story. The more I hear about Gunner, the more I like him and wish I could have heard the guy. Maz is 76? My winning percentage in sports trivia bets over the years rivals Tim Hudson’s W-L%, but I lost $20 bucks in the dorms (and that was a pretty good chunk of change at that stage of life in 1982) to a guy who claimed Maz was on the ’71 WS champs team. That sounded ridiculous to me, but he was right and I was out $20. The internet kinda phucked up those types of arguments that could drag on for hours. Some of us still recall an epic argument that broke out in 1987 in a Tijuana bar named “The Dragon Rojo” that centered on whether or not Nolan Ryan had ever won 20 games. I made a few bucks on that one.

34. paulinasia said, on September 5, 2012 at 8:07 pm

The reason I mentioned above that I thought this game was key to win to prevent any kind of losing streak at this critical time was based at least in part on Henry’s game report last night. I remember when the Giants lost the game at home before departing for their little road trip to San Diego and LA in mid-August, and he reported the clubhouse as being very loose, you wouldn’t have known they had just lost a game, and they seemed really up for that road trip… which of course turned out to be a 5-1 trip including the sweep in LA. Last night, Henry didn’t say too much about it but did mention that the clubhouse was as quiet as he had seen it in quite some time. Somehow, that turned into a tiny little nagging though in my pea brain. Maybe they were just tired… it sounded like an exhausting game. But this is exactly where they need to ratchet it up a bit, and hopefully their heads are not already thinking about the Dogs coming to town….

35. unca_chuck said, on September 5, 2012 at 8:09 pm

Well, they get this out it’ll help. If they can’t get this out, well,

36. unca_chuck said, on September 5, 2012 at 8:10 pm

Fuck.

37. unca_chuck said, on September 5, 2012 at 8:14 pm

They’ve been coming from behind so much it’s got to wear on them. I don’t know. They look like the game aftet they travelled from Houston to Chi-town.

38. unca_chuck said, on September 5, 2012 at 8:17 pm

Ryan Musta won 20 in a season. I don;t know how many times, but he must have done it at least once.

• sandog said, on September 5, 2012 at 8:20 pm

I think he did it twice. At the time I was pretty sure, but not positive. I was the one guy saying he had and made several bets with others at the bar.

39. unca_chuck said, on September 5, 2012 at 8:17 pm

Arwe we being no-hit?

• Bozo said, on September 5, 2012 at 8:21 pm

Yup.

• TedSpe said, on September 5, 2012 at 8:36 pm

That’s pirate talk. “Arwe”

40. WilcoJoe said, on September 5, 2012 at 8:26 pm

Great thread Ted!

As far as I am concerned, Hank was the greatest…Maybe it’s because he was my first and you always remember your first…Too me his call of that Robby Thompson home run against Florida in ’93, where his voice cracks, is right up there with Lon Simmons call of the Steve Young run against Minnesota, as my all time favorite calls in Bay Area sports history…I still get chills everytime I hear those two calls.

41. Bozo said, on September 5, 2012 at 8:31 pm

Hey Chuck, can you believe this guy Cahill has a perfect game going?

• unca_chuck said, on September 5, 2012 at 8:34 pm

Criminy. Almost as bad as watching Theisman talk about his fucking prostate.

• Flavor said, on September 5, 2012 at 8:36 pm

huh? A perfect game? Cahill? Cahill has a PERFECT GAME GOING? No fucking way…..
      that should make Dennis smile for the first time in at least a month……..

42. WilcoJoe said, on September 5, 2012 at 8:34 pm

Everytime they show that guy, The Dog, I immediately think of Nick Nolte in Down and and Out in Beverly Hills.

• Flavor said, on September 5, 2012 at 8:38 pm

Yeah, I see it…
      I always wonder about fans like him that hit every game. If you are retired and have some dough, I could see it. But that dude looks borderline homeless. Same with the Melkmen. And the Maids. Who has the time to hit EVERY GAME. Maybe it’s just me……..

• unca_chuck said, on September 5, 2012 at 8:45 pm

I’ve been to BP about 5 times over the past 4 years and he’s there every time. There’s a group of about 15 regulars who hang out to catch BP homers. One guy had a duffel bag filled with about 150 BP balls. What he did was trade balls for whatever bobbleheads or swag was being given away. I said, you come to every game? He said “yup.” I asked how do you pull that off? All he said was “lucky.”

• PawlieKokonuts said, on September 5, 2012 at 8:48 pm

I knew a guy, now deceased, who said he went to every Giants home game since the late 1930s and then all their visitors games at the Mets — and worked!!!!; more in my new book on that [in progress]

43. unca_chuck said, on September 5, 2012 at 8:37 pm

Bummie looks like he’s getting his usual dose of little support.

44. unca_chuck said, on September 5, 2012 at 8:40 pm

A goddamn no-hitter? Really? Can it be?

45. Bozo said, on September 5, 2012 at 8:42 pm

Flav, I just want to make sure what you are saying , is it that Cahill hasn’t allowed a hit a runner or allowed any runs?

• Flavor said, on September 5, 2012 at 8:47 pm

yeah. Except now it’s just the no hit thing. He hasn’t allowed a hit ALL GAME! It’s amazing.

46. Bozo said, on September 5, 2012 at 8:43 pm

I hope Cain comes in as a pinch hitter.

47. Bozo said, on September 5, 2012 at 8:44 pm

OOPS.

48. Flavor said, on September 5, 2012 at 8:46 pm

so his perfect game is gone? BUzzkill. What’s left? A no hitter? no way. Cahill is pitching a no hitter? COme on…….

49. unca_chuck said, on September 5, 2012 at 8:46 pm

DId you say no hits yet?

50. unca_chuck said, on September 5, 2012 at 8:46 pm

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK this.

51. Flavor said, on September 5, 2012 at 8:47 pm

Gibby should yank this dude. Either that or we win. He’s done.

52. TedSpe said, on September 5, 2012 at 8:49 pm

PawlieKokonuts said, on September 5, 2012 at 6:44 pm (Edit)
    ———————————————————————————————————
    Sorry to interupt the flow but just wanted to answer Pawlie’s question. Not really Pawlie, but that’s exactly the way Marty Lurie deals with obnoxious drunks. Every game. His patience and tolerance are truly amazing

53. PawlieKokonuts said, on September 5, 2012 at 8:55 pm

I am not gonna watch this game. Really. G’night. Maybe. I hope. (And Bobby V. should not have said he was joking about wanting to hit that guy on the radio.) Nipper this is not political: why can’t people in America ever say, Yeah, that’s what I meant, you don’t like it tough shit, if you’re offended, that’s your problem, not mine? Sort of like an obscene Lasorda rant. Don’t fuckn later fuckn say you were fuckn taking out of fuckn context. Instead, they issue a palliative statement that is a LIE. So, maybe I’m going to try sleep. I should. I don’t want to watch a NO-HITTER and need to be up at 4am or so your time.

• TedSpe said, on September 5, 2012 at 8:58 pm

Very well put

54. TedSpe said, on September 5, 2012 at 9:04 pm

Uhm…fuck?

55. PawlieKokonuts said, on September 5, 2012 at 9:05 pm

I was at a game in the Eighties at Yankee Stadium. Righetti was pitching a no-hitter, not the July 4 game that WAS a no-hitter. Against the Indians, I think. Once they got through to Rags with a hit, in the 8th or 9th (and I was rooting for the guy, a Yankee, as I recall), it fell apart, and he lost, 2-1, maybe 3-1. He was so disconsolate he would not talk to reporters. Listening, Mr. Cahill?

56. Bozo said, on September 5, 2012 at 9:05 pm

Boch might use 11 pitchers this inning.

Pawlie I’m right behind you. The 4 hours sleep I got in last night didn’t go very far.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on September 5, 2012 at 9:06 pm

Just checked the score. That’s it for me. Dis-fuckin-heartening, as Tommy Lasorda might say.

57. unca_chuck said, on September 5, 2012 at 9:06 pm

I’ll just point back to my 8:46 post from now on.

58. Bozo said, on September 5, 2012 at 9:07 pm

So Mr. Ted, is my box score wrong? It says this guy for the Snakes, Benny Hill, Cahill or whoever hasn’t allowed a hit. I think I’m reading this wrong it says no hits, no runs. Is that right?
    Not that it matters much right now but I still want to know.

• TedSpe said, on September 5, 2012 at 9:21 pm

Yeah.
      It’s wrong.
      You fucking clown

• TedSpe said, on September 5, 2012 at 9:23 pm

But why are you asking me?
      (gay-ass-smiley face)

59. Bozo said, on September 5, 2012 at 9:08 pm

Ta dah.

60. unca_chuck said, on September 5, 2012 at 9:09 pm

Got ‘em right where we want ‘em now.

61. Bozo said, on September 5, 2012 at 9:18 pm

OK, maybe I’ll wait a bit more before hitting the pillows.

62. manny said, on September 5, 2012 at 9:20 pm

I am sure they showed that DOG guy on the Cubs broadcast when the GIants were in CHicago. He and some more Giants fans out in the bleachers. I also wonder how he makes the money to do all that, it can’t be cheap.
    Shit way to go Belt.

63. unca_chuck said, on September 5, 2012 at 9:22 pm

The Riot’s getting his Boogie Nights ‘stash going there.

8:46!!!!!!

• TedSpe said, on September 5, 2012 at 9:24 pm

What scares me is….I get that

64. Bozo said, on September 5, 2012 at 9:23 pm

I guess I’m going to have to watch the greatest comeback of this week, tomorrow. Night Flaps.

• TedSpe said, on September 5, 2012 at 9:25 pm

hahaha.
      Goodnight, you fucking clown. You’re gonna miss Bochy bringing Zito out as a reliever

65. unca_chuck said, on September 5, 2012 at 9:25 pm

In more 8:46 news, the Dogs tied the score in the bottom of the 6th.

66. unca_chuck said, on September 5, 2012 at 9:29 pm

Ess Dee back on top 4-3

67. unca_chuck said, on September 5, 2012 at 9:31 pm

It WAS a force play.

• TedSpe said, on September 5, 2012 at 9:33 pm

Huh. You’re right chuck

• TedSpe said, on September 5, 2012 at 9:35 pm

BTW. I didn’t mean that to sound like “WOW! Amazing you’re right chuck”
      I just meant, yeah, you’re right, chuck

• unca_chuck said, on September 5, 2012 at 9:42 pm

Heh heh. Ain’t no thang. Just wondered a little why Panda kinda went high on McDonald instead of just going to the bag.. 6-2 seems to be the magic rally number.

68. unca_chuck said, on September 5, 2012 at 9:46 pm

Yeah, I’m outie. Back probls messing with my sleep.

Hope I wake up pleasently surprised . . .

69. DJLoo said, on September 5, 2012 at 9:49 pm

Hope I wake up.

• TedSpe said, on September 5, 2012 at 10:04 pm

Don’t count on it

70. snarkk said, on September 5, 2012 at 9:51 pm

Have the Giants gotten this Goldschmidt prick out yet this series?
    Every time I come back to the game he’s on base or just running the bases after getting a hit. Doesn’t matter who’s pitching to him, he gets on. How about pitching inside to him or something?…

71. TedSpe said, on September 5, 2012 at 10:06 pm

Can’t believe Pence “The Butcher” took that first pitch. Total hack number

72. TedSpe said, on September 5, 2012 at 10:12 pm

As may be referred to in my thread topic of this day…I am *NOT* watching any more of this shit with CSNBA and Papa and ……
    Still in first. Ugly loss. I mean UGLY
    But–Giants still winning the West. My only question is..where’s twinfan? Did I miss something?
    Off day tomorrow. Cool. Yet sucks.
    Goodnight, gentlemen (question mark)

73. zumiee said, on September 5, 2012 at 10:32 pm

And….the Dodgers lost. SD played them tough in that series.

74. manny said, on September 5, 2012 at 10:33 pm

Padres win, so at least the Dodgers gain no ground tonight.

75. ewisco said, on September 6, 2012 at 7:15 am

test

76. eddacker said, on September 6, 2012 at 7:17 am

having troubles, mate?

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 499 other followers