Voggy’s Problems and Flapalooza 2.0

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on September 17, 2012

I’m going throw a post up because I think yesterday screwed everyone up on knowing where we are in the order. Ted, if you want to go ahead and post something on top of this. But if you don’t have anything, don’t sweat it…..

Voggy’s problems are complex. His velocity and *stuff* look good. Now, the predictable excuse of “he’s tipping his pitches” has surfaced. I don’t think that’s it. Think about it, he’s been bad for several starts in a row. Is the *tip* something that’s just getting passed from 3rd base coach to 3rd base coach with Raggs and Gardner clueless to it? There’s no way he’s tipping his pitches and each opposing team is on to it except our own coaches.

Right now, I’d like to see him be one of the long guys in the bullpen from now and extending through the playoffs. Maybe not thinking so much about the game will make it easier for him to succeed. Remember, he’s the guy who spends 24 hours getting his game-face on. Sometimes a chick can spend too much time putting on her make up. Dig?

Regarding Flapalooza 2.0. It is tentatively set for September 29th. There’s a 5:30pm game v the Padres. We will be meeting at an as yet undisclosed restaurant location on the Peninsula. Right now it’s me and Blade and anyone else who RSVP’s me with an email. bigflavor77@gmail.com

Flapalooza 1.0 was a lot of fun, hope 2.0 is even better…….

About these ads

1. eddacker said, on September 17, 2012 at 8:47 am

I just got back from the dentist. I cannot smile right now, but it was the only cavity so I had a check-up, cleaning and filling all in one go and I am done for this year. hehe
    I have checked and the warnings that were worrisome have gone.
    Today is not a major football day. Do they even have Monday Night Football any more? Last I heard they were letting bocephus sing somewhere else.
    I like the way voggy started out he was throwing well. and then in the 3rd I noticed he had thrown a lot of pitches. On telly I usually watch with the CF cam and that ump (JJ) really had a strike zone. In some cases it looked like the same pitch being called once a strike then a ball, but I will give the ump the benefit, and say those pitches were within an inch of being good. And it looked like voggy refused to play the game and kept painting both sides of the plate. Then the wheels fell off, at around 75 pitches.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on September 17, 2012 at 7:42 pm

To dentist for me tomorrow. Not looking forward to it. Who ever would?

2. eddacker said, on September 17, 2012 at 8:52 am

I was hoping for an early October run to SF, but my 23yo niece ran into some trouble from the ex and all the family members were pitching in so I had to as well. And that came out of my “October Trip Home” money.
    So cheers to one and all; we need to skype or dial-a-shot or at least tweet some pics. I will have to stay up for that game.

3. twinfan1 said, on September 17, 2012 at 9:02 am

I can see a scenario where Vogelsong is the long man for the NLDS- but even to grab that assiignment he’s going to have a pitch a lot better than he has.Anyway, pending the next couple starts, I can definitely see Bochy going with Cain and and Lincecum in the the two home games to open the NLDS. Tim has been waaaaaay better at home and whatever his problems this year, he’s been a proven big game pitcher. MadBum gets the first road game. I won’t even think even think about a possible game 4, just hope we’ve either swept or are up 2-1…

• Macdog said, on September 17, 2012 at 9:44 am

I wouldn’t rule out Timmy pitching on the road. Since the All-Star break, he has a 2.32 ERA in five road starts. His three worst starts over that time have been at home: 5 ER in 4 2/3 IP vs. Padres; 4 ER in 4 IP vs. Nats; 3 ER in 5 IP vs. Braves.

• twinfan1 said, on September 17, 2012 at 9:58 am

Well, he’s also been better than Bumgarner as a whole over the last month or so. Unless he regresses, I think Bochy would go with him second anyway…

4. twinfan1 said, on September 17, 2012 at 10:14 am

What would the playoff rotation be for the rest of you?

5. Flavor said, on September 17, 2012 at 10:15 am

I’d probably go Timmy/Bum/Cain/Zito with Voggy ready to take over for any and all of them……..

6. ewisco said, on September 17, 2012 at 10:21 am

the difference between voggy and zito is you can’t use zito in the pen.

7. chipower9 said, on September 17, 2012 at 10:22 am

Timmy’s numbers have been the best of the staff since the All Star break. I definitely see Vogey being the short man out when they set the rotation for the NLDS.

And Craig I agree…I just don’t see the Vogey tipping his pitches as being the issue. I think it is mechanics. He is the type of pitcher where there is little room for error (paints the corners, etc.)…think Woody. If he is just even slightly off an not getting his pitches called on the black, etc., then there goes that pitch count.

Tim has been better, no doubt, but his BBs/9 are still way too high.

Will check re: the 29th for Flapalooza. I think we may be out of town competing with the dogs that weekend, but if not, I am definitely in.

And sorry for the mix-up on the thread yesterday. When I saw the emails on potential viruses/malware, I just steered-clear of the site, and by the time it was deemed safe, Eric (I believe) had thrown a thread up (thanks, Eric!). So, if my reasoning is correct, today would be Ted’s day. That puts me up again a week from Friday. I get back from Utah on the 26th, so that will not be a problem.

Hard to believe a 10 game home stand, then six on the road and the season will be over.

Kershaw getting a doc’s opinion on his troublesome hip…may require surgery. And if Barb’s elbow continues to be troublesome, she may be facing TJ surgery and miss 2013.

8. demp28 said, on September 17, 2012 at 10:25 am

Playoff rotation IMHO: Game 1, MadBum. He excels at home vs. road. Game 2, Cain. Game 3, Timmy.
    In regards to Vogey, I had said yesterday that Penny should pitch Vogey’s next start (Friday) but Bochy isn’t adjusting the rotation. Hopefully he does come out of his funk much like Timmy has to an extent.
    I can see adding Zito to the postseason roster and putting Vogey in the ‘pen as long relief. Having more lefties in the playoffs is a plus, thus add Zito to go along with Lopez, Afflac and Mijares.

9. Salty said, on September 17, 2012 at 10:34 am

Giants like to split up the r-l thing so I’d probably go Cain Bum Tim Zits (who has also pitched very well against Cinn in 2 starts).
    Madbum’s only start in Wash was a nightmare, but here, he pitched a CG allowing just 1 run against the Nats. He also has a shutout of the Reds at home.

10. Flavor said, on September 17, 2012 at 10:38 am

Timmy leading off Game 1 would be a statement thing–have Voggs ready to go if he implodes. Plus, he’s better at home. And I’d want Bum going at home, too. And Cain is basically unflappable where ever he pitches.

• Salty said, on September 17, 2012 at 10:57 am

I’ve no problem with that. They may want to change up the rotation schedule to give TL an extra day or two rest. As it is now, Bum is scheduled to make his last start the 28th, Cain the 29th, Tim the 1st.

11. chipower9 said, on September 17, 2012 at 10:44 am

I agree on Bum at home vs. on the road.

12. blade3colorado said, on September 17, 2012 at 2:35 pm

Salty, ewisco, Ted, Macdog, Pawlie, Ed, Chi, Twin, demp, Dennis, snarkk, Alleykat, williedav, sportdude, Mr. BillX2, James, Zumie, Chuck, Paulinasia, San Dawg, Loo, and all the rest of you knuckleheads (as ewisco would say) – better be at Flapalooza II . . . Living in foreign countries, Texas, Mars, and other solar systems are poor excuses for not attending.

Signed, Flapalooza II Reunion Committee :-)

• ewisco said, on September 17, 2012 at 3:41 pm

Steve, I should be there. should be fun to catch up.

• blade3colorado said, on September 17, 2012 at 4:32 pm

Fantastic Eric! Looking forward to seeing you again.

13. demp28 said, on September 17, 2012 at 3:16 pm

Well blade, my wife is recuperating from rotator cuff surgery and she is not up for long commutes yet. If it’s anything Giants related, such as the aforementioned Flapapalooza, we go together. So that’s my excuse.
    According to ESPN, Donny two trips will be back as manager in 2013 and their closer, Jansen will be activated tonight in time to get lit up by the Nats.

• Flavor said, on September 17, 2012 at 4:34 pm

shit, I hope Jansen just makes an *appearance* tomorrow and the days that follow—sounds like he’s dealing with a major threat to his life, I hope he’s got it under control……

14. Flavor said, on September 17, 2012 at 4:38 pm

I’ve gotten used to getting showered with praises for my creative magic number pics and don’t understand what’s wrong with today’s that it didn’t garner the usual response :) :) :) .
    Am I the only one who thinks that expression on Gordon’s face is beyond hilarious?

• Salty said, on September 17, 2012 at 5:57 pm

Maybe it’s the shock of seeing a $#$#$%# dodger… ;)

15. blade3colorado said, on September 17, 2012 at 5:45 pm

So far so good . . . Manning intercepted during first possession. Ha.

16. eddacker said, on September 17, 2012 at 7:40 pm

So there is still Monday Night football?

17. eddacker said, on September 17, 2012 at 7:42 pm

I am sorry, BF, but in my monitor it looks like the lone doger is crying. Maybe my eyes are still recovering from that run of unique BBOTDs?

18. PawlieKokonuts said, on September 17, 2012 at 7:44 pm

I’d love to be there on 9/29 but will be humping my book in Tampa, a city celebrated for its…….Oh, never mind. Go, Giants! But I would hop on a plane for WS redux.

19. eddacker said, on September 17, 2012 at 7:50 pm

I do know they have professional pole dancers in Tampa, but humping a book has to be a new one on me.
    Whatever do you wear?
    tadum

20. PawlieKokonuts said, on September 17, 2012 at 7:55 pm

Shocked to see my book #76 on Amazon’s hourly list of 100 top sellers in baseball. It’s been off the list for ages, far as I can tell. Of course, this may mean that three books just sold. I keep reminding myself, it’s not just the money. It’s the press, the accolades, and the groupies.

• Flavor said, on September 17, 2012 at 8:38 pm

fuck it, keep hawking the shit out of it. You’ve been selling it since it came out, that’s what anyone selling something HAS to do. I’m sure this part is easy for you since I’ve never met a person who didn’t enjoy saying “I’m an author” but you are doing what you have to do. Keep it up, I’ll tweet a bunch of Flapalozza pics and we’ll see you for the World Series when I can once again drape you in a black Giants necklace the moment I see you. :)

• PawlieKokonuts said, on September 17, 2012 at 9:29 pm

I would like to be draped as described. Consider me drape-ready.

21. eddacker said, on September 17, 2012 at 8:35 pm

Wow, as quiet as a church mouse tonight. I will have to share my dream story. Can one be banned for being boring on the flap?

• Flavor said, on September 17, 2012 at 8:38 pm

No go for it. I’ll check it out later, we’re doing HW right now. The players seem as interested in this game as the Flappers do in blogging about it.

• blade3colorado said, on September 17, 2012 at 8:48 pm

lqtm . . . The Flap is on pause.

22. eddacker said, on September 17, 2012 at 8:47 pm

I really wanted to stay up and watch the RA Dickey game. Lee has found his groove, but the knuckleballer with chatter about a cy young is struggling to get run support. He took the loss tonight, but has pitched well. In his last 6 games he has given up more than 2 runs only once. He has pitched 7 innings or more in 5 of those games. He has taken the famous “junk ball” pitch to a new level.

23. eddacker said, on September 17, 2012 at 9:01 pm

OK, MAGNUS thanks, HW is the most important meal of the day. 8-)
    I have always been a livid dreamer. And I could not stay awake for the Mets game, the one *before* the giants game. So I am dreaming and into my dream comes a second guy, off in the distance. he keeps telling me something as he is coming closer. It is annoying and by the 6th or 7th repetition he is close enough for me to recognise that he is me. I had been trying to ignore him but now I hear it clear: “get up the game is on”. So, my body groans, don’t, I wake roll over and the clock reads 3:20 (7:20PDT) and here I am.

This had better be some kinda special game or I will never listen to that guy again.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on September 17, 2012 at 9:33 pm

You just reminded me. I had the nastiest, lurid, vivid dreams last night. I am not culpable for my dreams, am I, Sigmund? (Reminds me of the old Robert Klein bit: “I don’t know, doctor. I dreamt I was a hot dog chasing a donut in the Holland Tunnel. What do you think that means, doc?”

• PawlieKokonuts said, on September 17, 2012 at 9:35 pm

That is a great story, Edddddddd! H.P. Lovecraft as president of the Giants’ Fan Viewers International.

24. SanDawg said, on September 17, 2012 at 9:13 pm

The night of Flapalooza I will be attending my 30th high school reunion in Woodland, less than a 100 miles away from the peninsula. So, if you sense my presence being closer than the usual 500 miles, don’t be alarmed. I wish I could be there, but I look forward to the pics and the stories—-have a great time!
    Speaking of stories….my friend Doug the obsessive Dogger fan (I’ve mentioned him before—Flav he is the guy you met who dropped me off at Green Hills) says that during Zito’s last start, you could clearly see him yell “suck my fucking dick!” while heading to the dugout after striking out Upton.
    Did this get any run on The Flap? Did any of you see this?
    Also Flav—I had another near-fainting spell on the golf course this past weekend. Details later, but it involves a hard night out on the town with some 20something football coaches from my school followed by an absolute scorcher at Balboa Park the next day.

• willedav said, on September 17, 2012 at 9:39 pm

Dawg, if the Giants win this and the number goes to 8, i’d like to see Flav put up a pic of Lonnie Shelton.

• sandog said, on September 17, 2012 at 9:46 pm

That would be sweet. Was he #8 on the Sonics? I loved that team. I had a great Nike “DJ and Gus” poster on my wall for many years.

25. snarkk said, on September 17, 2012 at 9:44 pm

Sheezus, Christian is OhFer his entire stint up here since whenever he came up. 30+ ABs or something like that. THAT is hard to do if you even TRIED to do it…

• zumiee said, on September 17, 2012 at 9:58 pm

The black-hole-ness of leftfield has returned with a vengeance.

26. eddacker said, on September 17, 2012 at 9:52 pm

Vivid dreams are dreams that you remember as if it just happened.
    A lucid dream is any dream in which one is aware that one is dreaming.
    A livid dream is eddacker’s accidental way of saying both as he did not mean discoloured by coagulation of blood beneath the skin.
    That would be from the 5am vodka, with OJ . . . cause it is breakfast.

• snarkk said, on September 17, 2012 at 9:54 pm

What about a Vivid Video?…

• eddacker said, on September 17, 2012 at 9:58 pm

aren’t those for girls?
        I don’t have lurid dreams, only successful hook-up dreams.
        there is a difference . . .
        really!

27. SanDawg said, on September 17, 2012 at 10:01 pm

Yes, LF is still a mess. Does anyone have Jermaine Dye’s cell?

• eddacker said, on September 17, 2012 at 10:04 pm

I can hear Huff now: “put me in, coach, I can do it”

• snarkk said, on September 17, 2012 at 10:11 pm

Do What?…

28. willedav said, on September 17, 2012 at 10:02 pm

SD, any poster with gus williams in it trumps my purvis short. what a smooth player he was, even back in his SC days. Sonics always had cool players. I remember one year when end of the season Rick Barry and Fred Brown had a duel where they put up about 60 in back to back games. I hear Seattle is pushing for a stadium deal to bring NBA back—wonder if the Kings are their target or maybe the Hornets? NBA really should contract a few teams and cut the schedule. Not sure that wouldn’t be a bad idea for MLB either.

29. eddacker said, on September 17, 2012 at 10:03 pm

Speaking of baseball, Bochy seems to be riding that CBC horse, can he bring it home a winner.
    [for DMD] that would be Can’t Be Caught out of Brian’s Elbow sired by Great Manager

• zumiee said, on September 17, 2012 at 10:06 pm

Ed, you blew our minds today that there are dentists in Britain.
      Oh, just a lousy joke from me. (grin)

• eddacker said, on September 17, 2012 at 10:14 pm

Only Polish ones.
        And it is covered by insurance for most work. I had my dentist, Tomasz, do a complete professional whitening job 2 years ago and had to pay $100. But most work is free.

• snarkk said, on September 17, 2012 at 10:24 pm

Wasn’t Tomasz the young doctor in “Unbearable Lightness of Being”, or a dentist? So, edd, you’ve got Daniel Day Lewis as your dentist? Ted, where are you for confirmation? More to the point, Lena Olin, where are YOU?…

30. eddacker said, on September 17, 2012 at 10:08 pm

Maybe tonight’s game is a chance for me to re-evaluate my love for Belt. he is seeing the ball brilliantly and making contact. Just not getting any results.

31. willedav said, on September 17, 2012 at 10:08 pm

That’s about as dull a moment you’re going to get with Casilla at the plate. Giants should put together a DVD of his ABs…at least he didn’t “runzler” himself.

32. snarkk said, on September 17, 2012 at 10:13 pm

How many warm up pitches do these Pen guys throw before they’re ready to come in? 20? 30?…

33. demp28 said, on September 17, 2012 at 10:19 pm

8 is great!!!! Joe Morgan ot Pence picture?

34. Macdog said, on September 17, 2012 at 10:19 pm

Snowman!

35. zumiee said, on September 17, 2012 at 10:20 pm

Magic number 8. and 8 games ahead of the Dodgers!

• zumiee said, on September 17, 2012 at 10:22 pm

Yeah, Pence #8. too, I forgot. Pence with the game-winning RBI. Very cool.

36. willedav said, on September 17, 2012 at 10:20 pm

whoosh. I know it worked and you can’t really argue with it, but I’d have let Casilla face Cargo and try and close it out, and then maybe you don’t even need to warm up anyone else.

• snarkk said, on September 17, 2012 at 10:22 pm

My point, exactly. I’d like Bochy to stand down a bit from this constant lefty/righty two step. The guys are up every game and throwing, even if they don’t get in…

37. snarkk said, on September 17, 2012 at 10:21 pm

Amazing how the Giants cannot score at ATT, after a roadie of scoring almost at will.
    Nice Pen effort. Bum is still off his feed, I suspect he’s arm weary, his control is off every start…

38. eddacker said, on September 17, 2012 at 10:24 pm

they said Bum was “slinging” his pitches, whatever that means.

39. eddacker said, on September 17, 2012 at 10:28 pm

A good game, while moments of lack-luster-ness crept in the pen was perfect. And we scored the run that got Madison the W

40. demp28 said, on September 17, 2012 at 10:49 pm

Here are some other notable #8’s from the Bay Area:
    Ray Guy, Joe Pavelski, Monta Ellis, Steve Young
    Lonnie Shelton? Keep it in the Bay Area!

41. TedSpe said, on September 18, 2012 at 12:09 am

New thread

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 487 other followers