Watching the other Races

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on September 28, 2012

(Let me preface this by saying that I THINK Chi isn’t posting today but if I’m wrong Chi then just post over me)

There are about 6 games to go for everyone and the wild card races are still not determined. The NL looks pretty locked up with Atlanta and St Louis but anything could still go down in the AL, including either Oakland or Baltimore (or both) winning their divisions.

Personally, I am loving the fact that both Oakland and the Orioles are likely to make the playoffs. I’d love to see Texas get knocked out just because I’m tired of seeing them in the World Series the last 2 years in a row. And I am double loving the Angels not getting in after their ridiculous spending spree over the Winter. Pujols watching the playoffs on tv is an image that makes me smile. As long as only one of them (Texas or the Angels) gets in, I’ll be happy.

Do you guys have any preferences to who you’d like to see make or miss the playoffs this year?

______________________________________________________________

Flapalooza 2.0 Update: It is going down tomorrow evening around 5. We will watch the game, enjoy good convo and spirits and skype in some of our east coast buddies along the way. If you are interested in coming, email me and I’ll send you the particulars.

bigflavor77@gmail.com

About these ads

1. tedspe said, on September 28, 2012 at 8:16 am

I have no real preference in who does or does not make the playoffs. Not because I’m too cool to care. It’s more that I don’t know enough about other teams to make an intelligent gander. But, for reasons that have nothing to do with competition, I hope the Dodgers don’t and the A’s do just to tell their owners to go fuck themselves

2. Alleykat said, on September 28, 2012 at 8:27 am

Im all for both thr A’s and Orioles getting in.Both teams showed alot all season staying in the race.Really wished even the Pirates could of kept it together instead of tanking.Looks like now 19 straight losing.seasons,unreal fulitiliy.

3. willedav said, on September 28, 2012 at 8:29 am

I seriously did not think Cards were the best team going in last year, but they won it.
    The AL races are really exciting, in all 3 divisions plus the WCs….and as long as Boston is out I don’t really care who gets in. Yanks would be the team I’d most like to see either not get in, or even better get bounced out. They owe Wash and Texas a couple if I remember right.
    I still don’t understand the A’s, who continue to take down all comers/big money teams with the likes of Donaldson Pennington and a collection of no name pitchers. Melvin is a freaking genius, for absolutely getting the utmost of that group of guys.

4. blade3colorado said, on September 28, 2012 at 8:40 am

I think Chi is in “Stix country” (Yellowstone Park) galivanting with lions, tigers and bears . . .

5. unca_chuck said, on September 28, 2012 at 8:46 am

Shit, Zumie, I woulda met up with ya if I knew you were at the game. It was a last-minute surprise that my wife’s company did for her. Hell of a 2nd inning. The fans are a fickle bunch, and they were getting restless as Barry proceeded to load the bases with one out in the 4th, and give up the 2 run single.

How bad did Belt misplay the fly ball in the 2nd? We were sitting on the 1st base side, and it looked like he got turned around and flat missed it.

I ain’t gonna be able to get down to (actual city deleted for safety concerns. Sorry chuck) tomorrow. Wish I could. Skype?

6. willedav said, on September 28, 2012 at 9:03 am

I think dirt mentioned this yesterday, but I definitely remember how AZ hammered our pitching last year at the end. They beat us here and down there, and it just seemed like SF pitchers could not keep the ball in the yard against them and their pen was very effective.
    What a difference a year makes—except for the lincecum game (and the golds match up), we thrashed them even after clinching division. A couple of their hitters had down years (tho Hill certainly isn’t one of them), the SPs they are using now are much younger and still learning, and their D is suspect. I was surprised they let Drew go so easily, but he does have a big contract at $10 mil I imagine they weren’t feeling good about.
    To go from winning the division to a .500 team that is currently 13 games out and not far ahead of the Padres is quite a dramatic slide in one year. Could be interesting off season for AZ and front office.

7. demp28 said, on September 28, 2012 at 9:06 am

Fellas, fellas, fellas! For starters, Chi returned home to the stix from the stix this past Wednesday. All is well with him as I texted with him yesterday.
    Now the playoffs. Really quite intetesting to see with 6 games left in the regular season and no team in the AL has clinched a playoff spot. That should change this weekend. I’m in with the Oreo’s winning the AL East or a wild card spot. A’s? Fuck, why not. The Halos are doing everything they can not to get in. I hate Anaheim and yeah, Pujols will be watching at home. Cards up 3 with 6 to play but the Brew Crew have their last six at home. I’ll take the Redbirds for the second WC.

8. Bozo said, on September 28, 2012 at 9:31 am

I’m not an American League guy and rarely if ever watch an AL game during the regular season (except if an AL team is playing an NL team that I want to see). I will agree that if I don’t have to see Nolan Ryan looking as if he’s taking the most painful crap ever, that would be OK by me. Baltimore is close enough if they were in the WS with the Giants, I would at least have the option to go to a game. I can’t stand the A’s but it seems the team owners wanted them to lose so I don’t know. If they go and draw a crowd maybe San Jose would not be an option for them but if they go and don’t draw…
    The Cards have never been a favorite of mine but letting Pujols go and competing is pretty cool, plus I like Matheny. Atlanta is OK by me, because if I went there my buddy could probably get a ticket for me. So the teams I’m all in on are the games where I would have a chance to go (DC, and Baltimore because of proximity, SF and Atlanta ticket wise). The problem for me this year would be cash, fucking hurricane Irene, the gift that keeps on giving or in my case, taking away .
    All I care about is what Matt said yesterday.
    “Bring home a ring and let’s have a parade” – Matt Cain

9. twinfan1 said, on September 28, 2012 at 9:35 am

I think it would be nice for the A’s players but Beane has absolutely nothing to to with this- he tried to field a 62-100 team and Melvin and the players foiled him. A playoff team before he escapes Oakland is the last thing Billy wants.

10. Flavor said, on September 28, 2012 at 10:01 am

interesting note from the Chronicle:
    The Giants won their 10th consecutive Barry Zito start. The last time they had a streak like that behind one starter was 20 years ago. The pitcher was Bill Swift.

• twinfan1 said, on September 28, 2012 at 10:15 am

Definitely astounding. Besides the games he’s won-6, they’ve won 4 where he didn’t get the decision. 9-6, 8-7, 6-4, and 9-8. When he’s not pitching well. he obviously living right… and I’ve got no problem with that, we’ll need some luck against Cincy or the Nats…

11. unca_chuck said, on September 28, 2012 at 10:02 am

Yeah,. they had a quick ceremony after the game yesterday. Bochy came out and said a few words. And then Cain came out and said a few of his own. I thought more players would talk but that was it . . .

12. Macdog said, on September 28, 2012 at 10:20 am

Any scenario that doesn’t involve the Yanks is my only concern, but since the O’s and Rays play each other the last three games that’s not likely to happen. So I’m rooting for the O’s to win the AL East and force the Yanks into the one-game crap shoot playoff game. And if they were to lose to a low-budget team like the A’s, all the more sweeter.

I’m with Clown, the O’s in the WS would at least give me the long-shot possibility of going to a game should the Giants make it. The Yanks would as well, I suppose.

• Macdog said, on September 28, 2012 at 11:25 am

Ooops, and the Dodgers not making the playoffs, of course. Hey, the Giants may have a chance next week to deliver the final stake through what little heart the Bums have.

13. chipower9 said, on September 28, 2012 at 12:53 pm

It is true…I am back from the vast wildness of Southern Utah. Ahhh…what a spectacular trip. But I am obviously still in re-entry mode, and today is my first day back to work (things are still a bit hectic), and hence, I did not get a thread up. Thank you Craig for covering for me, and I should be firmly back in saddle and ready for my next turn.

There was a stretch of four days where I did not have access to TV, radio, wi-fi, or cell service, and it was grand. But it was also excellent to get back to watching and listening to some Giant baseball.

Blade – thank you for the voicemail back on the 17th re: the Flapalooza. Believe me, I would love to meet up with whoever will be there, but as I had mentioned, I’m committed to another agility trail this weekend. You sign-up for these things 4-6 weeks prior, as most of them fill-up and close. With the money committed, I just cannot bail on it and meet up with you guys. Next year, I promise I will be there…and hopefully the notice of a date and location can be determined in advance.

Demp sent me a text with a picture of the 2012 NL West Division CHAMPIONS shirt…that is how I found out our boys in Orange and Black had clinched. Awesome! I am ready for some playoffs! Bring on the Reds (or whoever it is going to be). Let’s GET IT ON!

14. chipower9 said, on September 28, 2012 at 1:07 pm

Playoffs – I like the O’s…mainly because it has been so long since they have been there and they have had to battle in a tough division. I’m down with the A’s, mainly for reasons already mentioned (owners and GM trying to tank it and Melvin and the players working their own magic). WTF…I would be down with a Bay Bridge Series #2. And I hate the YankMees. They could cease-and-desist and I would be happy….FUCK THEM.

NL – I don’t really care, as long as the Dodgers don’t make it. FUCK the FUCKING Dodgers…the sorry-assed FUCKING FUCKS!

Looking like us and Cincy in the first round with the first two in our yard. With that said, I have been thinking about the 25 man roster (who is in…who is out), and how do you stack the rotation for the first round.

• Alleykat said, on September 28, 2012 at 1:25 pm

That’s Damm Right CHI,….FUCK The Lowlife Scums of LA!!!!!!!!!! May they Fuckin Rot in Hell!!!
      Just knowing their not in,is always a early Christmas present! FUCK LA…FUCK LA..FUCK..LA..FUCK LA..FUCK LA..FUCK LA..FUCK LA..FUCK LA..FUCK LA..

• chipower9 said, on September 28, 2012 at 1:44 pm

Don’t sugar coat it Kat…tell us how you REALLY feel…

15. ewisco said, on September 28, 2012 at 1:59 pm

As long as the never sufficiently damned cardinals rot in hell, i’m happy.

16. ewisco said, on September 28, 2012 at 2:31 pm

Not sure how many of you read the chronicle but i grew up reading it and the Palo Alto Times (not to mention the Los Altos Town Crier in which i was mentioned occasionally in the sporting section). One of my favorite columnists is Jon Carroll. Today’s column is an interesting take on blogs and the importance of not being anonymous and being responsible for your words:

“I spent some time contemplating what the loss of the Well would mean to me. It’s a place I can go on my computer for conversation. A lot of the topics are things I was not aware interested me. New stuff all the time, and very informed opinions.”

“Anyway, you can’t have any sock puppets on the Well. Each posting is automatically affixed with your user ID, which is unchangeable and unique to you. There can still be drive-by postings and trolls and baseless ad hominem attacks, but they can’t be anonymous.
    You build up a kind of online karma with your postings. People might still read your postings, but they may not take them that seriously. Worst case, they will refrain from engaging you, meaning the theories you came to espouse will remain untested.
    One of the points of the Well is to test your hypothesis against the worldviews and life experience of others. People sometimes spend considerable effort researching their responses; that’s part of the social capital. Be a jerk online, and your social capital is reduced.”

The full column is here: http://www.sfgate.com/entertainment/carroll/article/The-Well-does-not-own-your-words-3900305.php

It strikes me that this is one of the things i like about the flap: It’s a place I can go for converstation, new stuff and very informed opinions. And Flavor keeps it free of the anonymous, a key point.

anyway, glad to be part. looking forward to flapooloza 2.0. making plans to sleep at work if i can’t make the drive home. I don’t think the Los Altos police are still looking for me and anyway i have a different car. dial a shot is often my downfall!

• Bozo said, on September 28, 2012 at 4:14 pm

“dial a shot is often my downfall!”
      No truer words have ever been spoken ew.

17. SanDawg said, on September 28, 2012 at 2:48 pm

I don’t want to see the Dodgers in and I don’t want to see the Angels in. They are 1 and 3 on my most-hated teams list. The A’s are #2, but I want to see them in cuz what they are doing is impressive as hell and I’d love to take them out personally.
    I’ll be at the game tonight about 30 rows behind the plate.
    Best Wishes to all for Flapalooza 2.0!!

18. sandog said, on September 28, 2012 at 2:52 pm

…..and if the Giants don’t win, I’d like to see the Rangers get it done. They’ve never won it before, took a hellish loss last year, and I like the Ron Washington style of managing—-not making a ton of moves anxious to put his fingerprints all over the game like LaRussa and Roger Craig. I know he gets knocked for being a cheerleader and getting out-maneuvered, but I don’t buy much of that crap. I think players like playing for a guy like Wash and players win games, not managers.

• zumiee said, on September 28, 2012 at 4:02 pm

I agree; if it’s not the Giants getting the rings this year, the Rangers have paid their share of dues.
      A big negative of the Rangers winning it all, IMO, would be Bush, Sr. and Jr. celebrating with them, but so be it.

• Bozo said, on September 28, 2012 at 4:18 pm

Yeah Z, but on the positive side, maybe Ryan would look happy for once. Gotta admit I’d be looking pretty sour if I had W1 and or W2 sitting next to me.

19. Alleykat said, on September 28, 2012 at 4:12 pm

Ahh screw the Rangers.They were embrassed by us,then had the Cardinals beat on Hamilton’s HR to win the Series,only to have their freakin BP “CHOKE” and lose it.They can’t close out a championship.

20. twinfan1 said, on September 28, 2012 at 4:42 pm

I don’t care who gets in or who they play.They’re not getting out managed no matter who they play along the way and I don’t see a better all around team than they are right now. Obviously they’re lacking the shut down starting pittching they had in 2010. It looks to be the 2012 Zito for the 2010 Dirrrrty and Timmy against himself. When assessing the pen- torture or not, Wilson had one of the great closer postseasons ever and if there was a best loogy award, that’s Lopez in 2010… on the other hand, we didn’t hit in 2010 and our defense is better if they keep everyone where they belong.
    As to Ron Washington, I think he definitely made mistakes in 2010.Of course, he was up against Bochy. Bruce put the pedal to the metal when there was an opening, Wash played it like it was an 11 game series. But he’s a bright guy, I have no doubt he’s learned. .

21. twinfan1 said, on September 28, 2012 at 4:59 pm

Angel Pagan CF, Marco Scutaro 2B, Pablo Sandoval 3B, Buster Posey C, Hunter Pence RF, Xavier Nady LF, Brandon Belt 1B, Brandon Crawford SS, (Ryan Vogelsong

22. Flavor said, on September 28, 2012 at 6:11 pm

I’m not a big Washington fan. I agree with SanDiggity about the importance of players *wanting* to play for their manager and I think that serves all of the common goals through the course of an entire baseball season. But as Twin pointed out, Wash doesn’t mange with much urgency. In the playoffs, time is of the essence. And Bochy completely undressed Washington in 2010. I don’t remember the details, but I recall LaRussa doing something similar to him (though he might have left his boxers on).
    I think Washington has his strengths as a manager but major limitations, too. If Bochy had the teams he’s had the last 3 years he’d probably be winning 3 World Series in a row right now……

• ewisco said, on September 28, 2012 at 6:24 pm

and this is Dusty’s big failure. Great 162 game manager but doesn’t get that in the PS you have to win THIS game. NOW! Joe Torre with the Yankees is a great example of a manager who can do both. Bochy does a very good job in this regard as well. Not many seem to get that these are two completely different approaches.

23. willedav said, on September 28, 2012 at 6:23 pm

If I’m not mistaken Wash and the Rangers have taken the Yanks out twice in a row, no small feat.
    I know he gets his share of heat, but at least he didn’t make a f/u like genius LaRussa did with his own bullpen, something unheard of in a late inning WS game.

24. willedav said, on September 28, 2012 at 6:28 pm

In Pawlie’s book he tells the stories of a couple Boston fans that were in Balt for the last game. Not long after Sox lost the scoreboard flashed the rays comeback vs. the Yanks that eliminated them, and those fans had to endure celebrations by last place O’s fans over Sox demise, and weren’t too happy about it.
    Fast forward to tonite, and with a chance to turn tables, Sox (who are the last place team this year) give up 6 in the first and are getting hammered 9-3 by O’s.

25. twinfan1 said, on September 28, 2012 at 6:45 pm

Check out Room B for a very “A” story…

26. willedav said, on September 28, 2012 at 6:54 pm

Got the score wrong, 9-1 final Balt over Boston. Couldn’t happen to a nicer group of fans (boston ones that is), imo. Was truly disgusted to see them all come out wearing their Bosox gear walking around town where I work when they won it all.

27. Bozo said, on September 28, 2012 at 8:32 pm

Tough error for Crawford. You get the guy, the ump calls him safe and you get the error. Hell of a play on the back end by Belt, what should have saved the error. How many possible errors has Belt turned into outs this year?

28. twinfan1 said, on September 28, 2012 at 8:45 pm

Speak of the Devil, great play..

29. chipower9 said, on September 28, 2012 at 9:20 pm

I know it was the right thing to do from a baseball standpoint, but fuck those pussies for pitching around “Ballgame.” Let’s go bullpen…lock this mother up!

• tedspe said, on September 28, 2012 at 9:30 pm

Settle

30. chipower9 said, on September 28, 2012 at 9:33 pm

I obviously got distracted with something…what happened to Scutaro? They just said he had to leave the game…

• Bozo said, on September 28, 2012 at 9:40 pm

The Pad’s guys said he had a cold or something. He got his hit to extend his streak and Boch decided to bring in Theriot who is/was hitting .500 against Padre’s pitching.

31. Bozo said, on September 28, 2012 at 9:41 pm

I love hearing the Go Giants chant at opposing teams houses. Go Giant’s Fans.

• chipower9 said, on September 28, 2012 at 9:44 pm

I agree, John. Next year I am definitely going down to Dago for a Giants game.

32. chipower9 said, on September 28, 2012 at 9:46 pm

Past few games the errors have been a bit unsettling. Need to tighten that shit up before the playoffs start.

33. zumiee said, on September 28, 2012 at 9:47 pm

Krukow thinks it’s a lock that Huff makes the post-season roster. It’s hardly a lock. If he gets on base, you basically have to pinch-run for him. Would they use a starting pitcher to pinch-run for him, to save a bench-player? That’s a possibility, i guess. That would be kind of dangerous, though.

• chipower9 said, on September 28, 2012 at 9:57 pm

I am not saying I think Huff will (or should) make the 25, but he did dig out a double the other day. Boche said something to the effect…Aubrey did a great job of turning that double into a double. Been thinking a lot about the 25…will be interesting to see how it shakes out.

• Nipper said, on September 28, 2012 at 10:09 pm

Huff hasn’t done enough this year.

• Bozo said, on September 28, 2012 at 10:12 pm

Well since starting to be in a pinch hitting role, Huff is 5 for 11 (.455) last 30 games.
        Zum is right though. if Huff makes the roster someone else is needed to run and man, I don’t know if I could make it through another Estes type of pinch running deal in the the POs..

34. zumiee said, on September 28, 2012 at 10:05 pm

Buster could pull a Bill Madlock and take the last 7 games off to win the batting title.

35. Bozo said, on September 28, 2012 at 10:05 pm

Here we go Giants, here we go.

36. Nipper said, on September 28, 2012 at 10:14 pm

Glad for Vogelsong. Good effort.

37. tedspe said, on September 28, 2012 at 10:18 pm

BALLGAME

38. chipower9 said, on September 28, 2012 at 10:18 pm

That’s what I’m talkin’ about – ANOTHER Giant win!

39. ferrethead said, on September 28, 2012 at 10:19 pm

Woo-Hoo!!!

• tedspe said, on September 28, 2012 at 10:20 pm

You’re still awake?

40. Bozo said, on September 28, 2012 at 10:20 pm

Hell yeah.Is that 91 or 92?

• Macdog said, on September 28, 2012 at 10:32 pm

92, matching the win total for the 2010 champs. Remarkable, given all the craziness that’s gone on this season.

41. tedspe said, on September 28, 2012 at 10:20 pm

Sweet. Momentum’s looking good. Can’t wait for the post games.
    This is Nipper, signing off

42. chipower9 said, on September 28, 2012 at 10:30 pm

92. Nats and Reds tied with best record…95 wins.

43. tedspe said, on September 28, 2012 at 10:44 pm

And on that note–Goodnight, gentlemen (?)

44. ewisco said, on September 28, 2012 at 10:47 pm

and my 94 looking better and better.

45. TedSpe said, on September 29, 2012 at 6:14 am

Let’s roll

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 457 other followers