How Fucked Up WAS This Weekend?…

Posted in Uncategorized by snarkk on October 7, 2012

Answer.  It was really fucked.  Beyond fucking fucked, in fact.  If that’s possible, and I think it was.  Who the hell wanted the Reds first?  Friggin idiots.  ;)  I’m going to beat Baggs to the damn filing deadline here.  It’s fresh, so what the hell?

Overriding all of the excuses or the explanations, the fact is the Reds just dominated.  They’re damn good.  They’re no fluke.  They’ve hit all year, and their pitching is the real deal and better than the Giants, ranking NL #3 in WHIP and ERA over the Giants #5.  Put that combo together for the oppo, and you’ve got a shot at getting boat raced in your house if you’re not razor sharp.  And, the Giants were as sharp as a straight razor left out in the rain.

What can be gleaned from these first two games?  First, the inexplicable, season-long home park funk continued.  In spades.  The oppo seems able to hit home runs with relative abandon at ATT compared to the Giants.

Next, what happened to the Giants offense that was raking in September?  Outscored 14-2 in these weekend games.  The key duo up top of Pagan and Scutaro went AWOL.  That’s what happened.  They keyed the September run, and set the table, and an attitude.  Thus far in the series, nearly zilch.  A combined 1 for 17 over both games.  Ouch.  That was killer.  The Cueto injury may have proven to be an omen.  A bad one.  Latos coming in there on the fly may have discombobulated the squad.  Not that it should have, but it may have.  Nobody else stepped up either to hit, so the fault spreads beyond the top two guys to everybody.  Tonight they seemed anxious as hell and trying to hit the damn 5 run homer, helping out fucking Bronson Pinchot who looked like an All Star out there instead of the OK, at best, pitcher that he is.  Pablo and Pence were putrid at 2 for 9 (including the meaningless double in the 9th tonight) and 0 for 8, respectively.  Posey got some production and an HR.  But, the guys at the top flopped, and that set the tone.

Was the winning of the division early a curse?  Hard to say, I think NO.  Post-clinch, Bochy tried to keep everybody sharp, and played the regulars regularly.  If the early clinch had an impact, it wasn’t because of mis-managing personnel in the post-clinch period.  And, the Reds had their division sewed up, effectively, weeks and weeks ago.  Didn’t seem to impact them much, did it?

Dusty factor?  Were the Reds really jacked up about playing hard for Dusty, coming off his health issues?  I tend to not believe much in that fluff stuff.  If they weren’t jacked up just by playing in the playoffs, I don’t think having your manager coming back from a stroke is going to make a difference.  I give that a tiny role.

Pitching.   Eh, just showed how the 2010 playoff run was remarkable.  Timmeh pitched that first game at ATT v. the Braves and struck out 14 to win 1-0.  That set an amazing tone for the rest of the playoffs.  Here, Cain wasn’t really on in Game #1.  But, he only gave up 3.  He wasn’t totally hammered.  Bumgarner continued his not so good late season form.  He just didn’t have that killer slider, as has seemed to be the case the last month or so.  Bochy needs to answer for some questionable relief moves.  He didn’t manage the Pen with a real sense of urgency, IMO, as much as he did down the stretch trying to clinch early.  In game #1, bringing in Casilla while still just 2 runs down?  Why not Romo is the obvious question.  Those extra 2 runs given up there were devastating.  In game #2, the second stringers came in after Timmy had held serve down 4-0.   Faced with going down 2-0 in games, IMO you gotta put in your top 4 Pen guys right then and there to make sure you stay within a grand slam of tying it.  If you tie it up, worry then about who’s left in the Pen.  But, Mijares and Mota after Tim.  Seriously?  Then?  If you’re up, OK, go with what got you there — I get sticking with roles, but not when the ship is sinking towards 2-0.  You get the pumps working to keep from foundering, not the bucket brigade.  When you’ve got 4 top Pen guys, it’s all hands on deck time NOW to avoid going down more than 4 runs mid-game at home.

What now?  I expect the Giants will NOT roll over.  Vogy is going in game #3, he’s going to have that jaw jutting out as far as possible to keep the team close.  Hopefully, he won’t be wired so tight that he loses feel and spotting his fastball and cutter that he seemed to get back the last two starts.  And, the Giants have been nails on the road.  I would not be surprised if they came back to take #3.  They really need to score first to get some mojo going, get some leverage.  If they can bring it in game #3, then just move to game #4 –  the Zitman will have the greatest opportunity in his career to make a statement beyond anything he’s ever done.  I would NOT start Cain on short rest, gawd, it’s hard to say this, but I’d let Zito start it and have the shortest fucking hook in the history of the playoffs.  If he presents even the slightest whiff of faltering, the Bochy hook happens and it’s bring on the Marines.  If there is a game #5, well, we can worry about that then.

BTW, Timmeh coming in to pitch two excellent innings (pitching to the forbidden Posey) with a short warm-up and totally in the stretch will surely set off discussions about his future as a late reliever or even closer.  Did Rags just say “Hey Tim — warm up!, and five minutes later he’s in”?  I think pretty much, yeah.  Hey, a mid-career, even latter-career move from starter to closer worked for Eck…

About these ads

1. tedspe said, on October 7, 2012 at 10:33 pm

2. tedspe said, on October 7, 2012 at 10:36 pm

Posey got some production and an HR. But, the guys at the top flopped, and that set the tone.

————————————————————————————————————
    I tend to agree with that.

• eddacker said, on October 8, 2012 at 7:03 am

Ted, please be judicious in placing all these videos on the blog. Choose wisely, grasshopper.

I STILL HAVE that Olivia Newton-John song banging around in my head from a week ago!!
      (I think I have all her dance steps down)

3. zumiee said, on October 7, 2012 at 11:02 pm

Halfway through the game, I got my Kindle out, turned the sound down on the TV, and started reading. Every once in a while I would look up to see the Reds lead getting bigger. A bunch of the Giants have turned into the Invisible Giants in this series. I admire the fortitude of any of you that were able to watch every pitch of this game.

4. eddacker said, on October 8, 2012 at 1:36 am

by the eighth inning I started to notice some empty seats and people walking out of the stadium, I was almost one of them but I love my team. And then I don’t own a Kindle.
    This was no way to enjoy my morning coffee. I had taped the game because it is easy for me to avoid seeing scores. And lo and behold the Yankees had a rain-out and the game was being broadcast instead of the Giants. So I watched the last few innings of our game on TBS and then didn’t have to catch up with the rest. Props to the Reds beating Cain and Bumgarner but I may never get over Arroyo a one-hitter?

5. paulinasia said, on October 8, 2012 at 3:57 am

I was so happily able to see game 1 live on Sunday morning here (Sat. night for you all), but had to go to work Monday morning (Sunday night for you all) and couldn’t see game 2. So, when I finally was able to log in and check out what happened, the question I was going to ask you all, was, WTF happened??? But Snarrk answered most of that in this thread, thank you. Clinching “early” wasn’t a problem.. they still looked sharp and hungry the rest of the way. And they also did not look bad in defeat in game 1, just didn’t catch some breaks on some well-hit balls.

I really fully and completely expected Bum to shut the Reds down and the offense to find a way to get their hits to fall. That’s been Giants baseball this year, especially the last couple of months. Game 2? Who were those guys out there? Imposters, alien body-snatchers (cue Ted and a good clip or two)… wow. I said a couple of weeks ago, when here we were discussing whether clinching early would hurt, that no, it wouldn’t, and if the Giants got beat in the 1st round, it would just be because the opponent was better. Right now, that’s the only explanation I can fathom. I can easily see Voggie pitching lights out and the team taking game 3, and of course after that, anything can happen. But after being so wrong about how sure I was about game 2… yikes. And yet… I’m still lovin’ the season this team had. Really just don’t want to see complete annihilation at this point….

6. Bozo said, on October 8, 2012 at 7:08 am

I woke up today with a bad taste in my mouth. I had hoped that I would wake up in a better frame of mind but I didn’t. To me, game 3 has become something to do on Tuesday. That’s it, I don’t care who the starter is or the line up. I’ve already started to think of next year.
    I never really warmed up to Pagan, more attitude than substance in my book. I’m fine if we come to terms with him but only if he is willing to play LF or RF.
    Pence? I’m good with Arb. or a two year deal, but not sure I’d want to commit to more than that right now.
    Panda? We need pitching and Atlanta needs a Third baseman, sounds like a match to me.
    Posey? Welcome to your new position, third base.
    Scutaro? Not sure what his contract situation is but I’d bring him back.
    Belt and Crawford are our Starters, no more fucking with their heads.
    Hector is given a chance to win the starting catcher position and Brown the CF slot.
    Timmy to the bullpen? Yes it worked for that guy in Oakland as well as Rags and Smoltz. I guess I’m OK with it, don’t know if Tim would be. Also, I’m not sure how eager I am to see him work through one of his funks while closing games. Maybe best to just leave him in the starting rotation for now.

Like I said, I woke up with a bad taste in my mouth and it doesn’t appear to be going away any time soon.

7. denniszu said, on October 8, 2012 at 7:31 am

That was painful…. By the 7th inning I had to try to sleep it off… I hope the players are refreshed this morning and ready to take the real fight to the Reds on Tuesday as Obama needs to do to Mitt in the next debate.
    I fear that if they don’t score first, it will get in Vogy’s head and the pendulum will swing hard in the Reds direction……

8. twinfan1 said, on October 8, 2012 at 8:28 am

Typically, whenever a relief pitcher doesn’t perform, Bochy is at fault for using him. And typically, the criticism doesn’t wash. The “B” relievers we have to presume that Snarkk was referring to last night were Mijares ( 0 runs allowed in 5 weeks) and Mota ( 2 runs in the last month). Both have regularly pitched in close games ahead and behind, Questioning the use of Casilla is absolute nonsense and doesn’t even merit response.
    Many commenters need to get over the norion that everything that goes wrong is Daddy’s fault. Bochy used relievers in situations where they could be expected to succeed- that they didn’t is on them, not the boss.

• blade3colorado said, on October 8, 2012 at 8:57 am

Again, the peanut gallery blaming tactical moves of a World Series Champion manager. I agree that this after the fact “arm chair” analysis is ludicrous. Bochy knows exactly what he is doing . . . Fans significantly less so.

• Irish Kevin said, on October 8, 2012 at 10:20 am

I agree that Bochy should not be blamed for the way he has used the relievers. Thats like blaming him for the hitters not hitting. With that said I will be very disappointed if he uses Casilla again, IMO and that is all it is Mike, Casilla has not proven he is as good as some claim.

• twinfan1 said, on October 8, 2012 at 10:57 am

Well, Santiago hasn’t been perfect, how true. His ERA in August was 0.84 and “blew up” to 2.57 into September. Because he had a couple poor outings shouldn’t disqualify him friom being used.And guess who would be next in line for the situations he’s used in- Mota.
      Next…

• snarkk said, on October 8, 2012 at 12:18 pm

Of course Bochy can be questioned on the use of the B team in that situation. He’s being questioned all over the chat shows on it. That’s what post-mortems are all about. This is the playoffs late in a game heavily in danger of getting you down 0-2 at home, not a throw away game in July against the Cubs. He was down 4-0 in the 8th after Tim came out, and he made a choice to use the B team, not the A team to stop the bleeding then and there and hope the offense could come back down just the 4…

9. willedav said, on October 8, 2012 at 8:31 am

Post season tends to magnify things, but really imo it’s just one team playing better than the other. The Reds have Stubbs in CF who hit .213 and went from leadoff to batting 8th, a young SS who hits .249 just like ours, aging Rolen at 3b (just the kind of old overpaid vet sabes and bochy are reviled for in blogosphere) and ryan ludwick who has two lucky plays in LF and sucked through his last seasons in STL and SD. It was because Ludwick couldn’t protect Pujols that cards went out and got Holliday from A’s and Ludwick was exiled to Petco with predictable results. I’m saying position wise SF is about dead even with reds, with an added plus for a healthy MVP.
    Right now they are on and SF is off. SF has done pretty well on the road and fought through adverstiy all season, so we’ll see what happens. Losing to the Reds (or anyone else for that matter) will hurt but not detract from reg season division crown. Lot of potential for this group, better balanced than 2010 imo. i’m not into fire sale/tear it down mode
    I had the same thought as snarkk about Lincecum, tho I’m not sure he and pops are ready for him to close yet. I’m sure couple teams that gave up on the young eck were sorry to see the eventual finished product he matured into as a closer. And I think that word, maturity, is a big part of Lincecum equation going forward.

10. twinfan1 said, on October 8, 2012 at 8:45 am

The thought of Lincecum closing was actually a huge one when he was drafted-thank God wiser heads prevailed.Funny that those two “excellent” innings last night came wiithin about 2 feet of “Here we go again”…Cain on short rest if we win tomorrow? He only threw 75 pitches- absolutely go with him..

• snarkk said, on October 8, 2012 at 12:24 pm

Bulldust. Lincecum was a starter all the way in the Giants minds. He’s in mid career, and having problems. If starter problems continue, he’ll certainly be considered for a Pen role down the line with whomever he plays for, which will likely not be the Giants after next year. Tim was the best pitcher last night for the time he was in there. 6 outs of 7 faced, no runs. To say he wasn’t effective or excellent based on a “what if” is the usual Tim bashing, this time undeserved…

11. blade3colorado said, on October 8, 2012 at 8:52 am

Apples and oranges comparing Tim to Dennis Eckersley. The latter was practically “methuselah” when he began closing (32) and already had 14 frickin’ years of starting under his belt. More important, the downward trajectory curve of his starting career was in full throttle when he became a closer. Please remember that he was 6-11, 4.57 ERA, with the hapless Chicago Cubs before joining the A’s and beginning Tony La Russa’s “closer experiment.”

Most important of all – as some of you have pointed out – Tim will have absolutely NO interest in being a closer for one obvious reason . . . Taking a significant pay cut. Personally, I believe he has little or no chance of scoring the delusional 8 year multi-million dollar contract his agent and him tried to extract from the Giants brass. However, he still has next year to prove himself for a still excellent multi-year deal at 15-20 million dollars a year. Being a fucking closer is the last thing on his mind.

Regarding the Giants, I will repeat what I said last night – The Gmen need to “wash” these two losses from their collective brain hard drives and play the heads up Giants baseball they played during the season. Forget the damn pressure, play their game and let the chips fall where they may.

• snarkk said, on October 8, 2012 at 12:36 pm

Practicality and performance dictate where you go and what you do in the Bigs. If Tim can’t perform as a starter for whatever reason, the Pen is the only alternative. Premier closers make big dollars. Not $20M, but $10M or more. Remember a coupla seasons back he had issues in the windup, so he pitched several games all in the stretch until he got his rhythm back. Last night was just an inkling that he could do it as a late game Pen guy. Short warm up, he performed. Eck is the paradigm career changer to the closer. I predict by sometime in 2015 Tim will be a closer. And, to be a Pen guy, he obviously has to get way better at holding runners on…

12. Macdog said, on October 8, 2012 at 10:15 am

The starters have been subpar for a good long while, and now it’s carried over into the playoffs. I was hoping the staff would get resurrected by that unique playoff atmosphere — the best quote I’ve seen, it might’ve been Reggie Jackson, was something like “Where the bats gets shorter and the bases get longer” — but it hasn’t happened. And without razor-sharp starting pitching, this team won’t win in the playoffs, because . . .

While the offense was a revelation over the final 30-14 stretch, half of those games came against lousy teams, another 9 vs. the .500 D-Backs, and another 9 vs. the Dodgers, who have the heart the size of a tick. That’s just 4 games played against real competition, the Braves, which was a split at home. The Giants still have a good lineup and should be better than these last two games, but they’re not a team that’s gonna bash its way to a WS title like last year’s Cards.

I’d make one change: Nady for Blanco. This is not to single out Blanco; they’ve all stunk, and Blanco actually had a pretty good Game 1 until the final AB. But I prefer Nady’s pop in the lineup and Blanco’s speed off the bench in case it’s a 1-run game late and someone like Nady gets a walk or a single. And last night, in the lone chance to get back in the game with one swing of the bat after Belt’s hit, up came Blanco. Sorry, but getting from 4-0 to 4-2 just wasn’t happening there.

I also considered Arias for Crawford; again, not to single out Crawdaddy, but just to get more pop in the lineup after Arias’ impressive AB vs. Chapman in Game 1. But this would reek too much of panic and desperation.

13. blade3colorado said, on October 8, 2012 at 11:33 am

Not to worry Craig. Hope you are feeling better . . . Ironically, I just got back from your gym (I bought a t-shirt from Gold’s Saturday and it was too large. Consequently, I went back and exchanged it a few minutes ago.

14. eddacker said, on October 8, 2012 at 11:36 am

NINE fucking ZERO??
    you are fucking kidding me!!
    :?: :evil: :!:

15. unca_chuck said, on October 8, 2012 at 11:37 am

Gawd, what a pile of shit baseball game. The Giants continued their streak of hitting shit hard and getting nothing to start the game, but just settled into beating balls into the ground the rest of the night.

Yeah, I think they should give Arias a shot. Crawfish looked flat lost these past 2 games. But who didn’t? Blanco sitting on the 302 count was galling. The fucking Latos thing just pisses me off to no end, though. Never was I more bummed to see a front-line starter leave a game when Cueto went down. Mainly because Latos came in and did his usual shit vs us. The ninth inning fuckups both nights? Just salt in the wound. Friday’s really did hurt as the Giants came back on loaded up the bases. Who knows how shit changes if the G’s are only down 3-1 instead of 5-1?

Baaaaaah. On the other hand, if we’ve learned anything about Bochy and this team it is that they bounce back well from adversity, they are road warriors, and they always clich series wins away from home . . .

Take one game and the rest will follow.

(Sung to the tune of free your mind and your ass will follow)

16. unca_chuck said, on October 8, 2012 at 11:47 am

The only saving grace thie weekend was the epic offensive performance turned in by Alex Smith and the 49ers . . .

17. PawlieKokonuts said, on October 8, 2012 at 12:07 pm

I bailed at 6-0, going quietly and gently, not raging against the dying of the light. A flat, dead, dull, bland, empty feeling. I think it’s premature to conclude Timmy is headed to the pen. I loved how he picked us up and energized the crowd. But nothing came of it. Use of the ‘pen? Does it matter that much? We would have lost both games anyway owing to zero none zilch kaput zed offense in absentia.

Guess I’ll take this one day at a time. One win would preserve a sense of dignity. I hate losses like these. They irrationally make me feel it’d be better not to be in the postseason. That does not make sense and I don’t mean it, but the pain is hard to take. It is only baseball, though, I remind myself.

After all, it’s a gorgeous autumn day. Good day to be above the dirt. (Say it like you mean it, Pawlie.)

18. unca_chuck said, on October 8, 2012 at 12:09 pm

I use music to get me thorugh these tough times. This is one of the great guitar songs of all time,

• eddacker said, on October 8, 2012 at 12:27 pm

OK, that helped

19. blade3colorado said, on October 8, 2012 at 12:11 pm

Unbelievable good news that Dusty Baker will not start (read risk) his numero uno starter, Cueto in the 3rd game tomorrow. Instead, he will start Homer “Gomer” Bailey. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know Bailey finished the season with a remarkable month of September. He allowed just 10 runs in 48 2/3 innings in the month, while tossing the first no-hitter of his career. Bailey allowed just two earned runs in 6 1/3 innings no decision against the Giants earlier in the season.

Unless the Gods have truly forsaken us, this is unbelievable luck going against this “Gomer” versus the All Star Cueto. I’m betting that we get the Bailey that allowed 5 runs in 6.2 innings against the clueless Bums . . . and not the Bailey that no hit the Pirates the following week.

• blade3colorado said, on October 8, 2012 at 12:21 pm

Addendum – Homer has a 5.59 ERA in five career appearances against the Giants.
      In his only start against them this year, he gave up five runs in 6 1/3 innings in a 6-5 loss on April 26.

• snarkk said, on October 8, 2012 at 12:29 pm

I think its good odds that the Giants come back to take #3. They just seem to play well away this season, and the offense opens up for whatever reason. They should be loose, IMO, and just focus on the one game, the task at hand. If Vogy can keep the ball in the park, they have a shot. To sweep 3 there though, is pretty long odds, I think everybody will admit. Theoretically possible, but if accomplished, legendary. As Lon used to say, “What a story it would be…”

• Macdog said, on October 8, 2012 at 12:51 pm

Let’s hope he’s like the other “Homer” Bailey who tried to close out a game vs. the Yanks last week, without much success.

20. unca_chuck said, on October 8, 2012 at 12:25 pm

Nothing means anything at this point seeing what Arroyo did.

• eddacker said, on October 8, 2012 at 12:30 pm

that’s it, the song helped, now you mentioned Arroyo.
      dag nab it

21. Nipper said, on October 8, 2012 at 1:02 pm

BLEEP! The season is lost……sniff…

• snarkk said, on October 8, 2012 at 1:07 pm

Not yet.
      Stuff your sniff until the fat lady sings.
      Bleep…

22. snarkk said, on October 8, 2012 at 1:06 pm

Anybody have some incisive ideas on why the Reds should dominate the Giants? 97Ws to 94Ws, that’s no big deal. Some are saying the Giants W total is inflated because they play in the bad NL West, particularly September that was NLWest loaded, but I’m not buying that too much. The Reds play in the Central, where you have the Cubs and Houston powerhouses that were objectively worse than SD and the Rockies. Pittsburgh cratered the last two months of the year, ending up with a worse record than the D-backs. Plus a just-over .500 Brewer squad. That’s not exactly top-flight division competition, outside of the Cards, which were only two games better than LA. You could argue the Reds record was padded by playing their division, and their power numbers are obviously padded by their ballpark. I think it’s more the pitching than anything else, where the Reds don’t seem to get as much credit as they should get…

• blade3colorado said, on October 8, 2012 at 1:21 pm

Snarkk, they’ve got a good team, good pitching and good hitting. Their ballpark is friendly to hitters. Maybe that combined with San Francisco’s affinity for life on the road will revive Bochy’s club. The Giants had the best road record in the majors in the second half of this season. So, that’s a positive.

In answer to your question, I have no “incisive ideas,” except if the Giants don’t figure out a way to get on base, forget it. The top two hitters in the Giants’ lineup, Pagan and Scutaro, are a combined 1 for 17 so far. Add three-hole hitter Pablo Sandoval’s 2 for 9 to the mix, and the top three hitters are 3 for 26.

This isn’t to say that the Giants are not hitting the ball. Just the opposite in fact. Scutaro said, “Seems like every ball they hit hard or soft finds a hole. They’re getting big hits with runners in scoring position. Their momentum is very good right now. Seems like we can’t get no breaks. We hit the ball hard, and they make nice plays, or it’s hit right at somebody.”

• snarkk said, on October 8, 2012 at 1:27 pm

I guess some of that’s true, the bad hitting karma, I mean. But, the losers always say they hit hard shots right at people and the other team’s stuff fell in. Several of the Reds hits fell into the outfield stands. The Reds just seemed to play crisper, more focused. Giants again seemed this past weekend to revert to anxious type ABs at home, whereas on the road they seem to more patient. Don’t know if Fangraphs AB stats back that up, but that’s my observation. I don’t understand how after over a decade of ATT being a great home venue, even for the crap teams of the 2004-2008 time, the home field advantage somehow degraded for 2012. Truly a strange development…

23. ChiPower said, on October 8, 2012 at 1:11 pm

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? FUCK NO!

I’m not reading a lot into these two games. Over the course of a season as long as the baseball season, teams will hit bumps (like the Giants did the last two nights). It is not the ideal position in which to be, but fuck it…the fat lady has not sang, so tell that bitch to take a seat and be patient. WE will let her know if and when she is needed.

Giants scored more runs and hit for a better average than Cincy…so what the fuck is the deal with them in their own yard? (Rhetorical question…no answer required.)

Like snarkk I think they come back and win game 3. And going on the road I believe is a good thing. This team was a fucking road warrior in the second half. Get outta Dodge and go pillage in their little bandbox that they call a ball park.

No excuses. I tip my cap to the Reds. They are a good ball club. Arguably, a better team than the Giants. But the better team does not always win…it’s the team that gets hot and catches lightning in a bottle. That happened for our lads in Orange and Black in 2010. Can it happen again? I sure as hell am not saying it cannot.

As much as I dislike the Red Sox, I go back to 2004, Dave Roberts with “The Steal” and from the brink of elimination, the Red Sox stormed back and won it all. It happened once…something similar can happen again.

Let’s Go Giants!

By the way, was out at the Hardly Strictly festival this weekend. What a killer weekend of music. Bad Ass.

• snarkk said, on October 8, 2012 at 1:21 pm

Chi, your optimism is cool.
      Near baseless, but cool. ;)
      Yeah, I do think the Giants will take #3. That’s based on just about nothing, too.
      I gotta believe Dusty is loving this, he would love even more to sweep, with payback to the Giants for how he got kicked out the door and the IRS nonsense. It was bush league the way the Giants treated him. If the Reds win, I’d like to see them go all the way. If the Giants can’t do it, a small market team with a good front office and field management earning the trophy, and a ring for Dusty would be fine with me…

• Flavor said, on October 8, 2012 at 2:06 pm

Agreed, I’ll definitely root for the Reds if they advance. I was surprised to see that they hadn’t won a playoff game since ’95. Didnt realize how long that drought was…

• snarkk said, on October 8, 2012 at 2:29 pm

I’ve always semi-liked the Reds, as far back as I can remember. I especially liked the Big Red Machine, their hitting was just downright amazing. And, in their mid 70s hay day times, they used to give the Dodgers (who were pretty good then and their big rival) a good beat down, which was always nice…

• Macdog said, on October 8, 2012 at 2:32 pm

Speaking of optimism, I just got Tuesday and Wednesday off, still working on Thursday.

• ewisco said, on October 8, 2012 at 3:06 pm

i hate the fucking reds. it seemed like every game i went to as a kid, and granted it wasn’t many, it was against the reds and we lost. in fact, other than stanford and the lady in red and maybe some simply red, i have no use for any team in red. i might wade in the red river, but i won’t drink from it. so there.

• snarkk said, on October 8, 2012 at 3:56 pm

The Red Sea is supposed to have some great diving…

• blade3colorado said, on October 8, 2012 at 4:04 pm

The Red sea has the BEST diving in the world. Aquatic life is quite diverse; and visibility is twice as clear as the Caribbean, with water clarity at 200 feet vs. 100 feet anywhere in the Caribbean (with 75 feet in the Bahamas).

• snarkk said, on October 8, 2012 at 4:07 pm

Blade, I used to have my open water C card and used it. PADI.
        Then the Snarkettes arrived…

• ChiPower said, on October 8, 2012 at 8:06 pm

I too agree whole-heartedly.

• Irish Kevin said, on October 8, 2012 at 3:25 pm

Chi Said “the fat lady has not sang, so tell that bitch to take a seat and be patient.
      Actually you should have said The fat Lady has not sang, tell the bitch to Grab some pine meat!!

24. Alleykat said, on October 8, 2012 at 1:47 pm

Vogs will get it done as we bury Homer Bailey,like Bump Bailey in “The Natural”!!!!!

25. Flavor said, on October 8, 2012 at 2:04 pm

Well, as I said the other day, if they’re faced with having to sweep, we have a better chance of pulling that feat off on the road as opposed to trying to get it done at home.
    Sorry, that’s the most positive thing I can muster today.

26. eddacker said, on October 8, 2012 at 3:53 pm

OK, flappers, confession time. You can blame these losses on me. I looked at the PO schedule followed by the WS and I thought, ‘there goes any sleep for a month!’. I _may_have thought, ‘I can’t do it.’ and that was all it took for the baseball Gods to have their way with my team.

• snarkk said, on October 8, 2012 at 3:58 pm

Well, OK. Pagan and Scutaro going 1-17 are off the hook, Edd…

• eddacker said, on October 8, 2012 at 4:09 pm

yep, my fault, too.

27. eddacker said, on October 8, 2012 at 3:55 pm

Ah, shit! TBS is showing Arroyo’s line from last night and singing his praises. Arroyo, freakin’ Arroyo! He is going to keep me up nights as well.

28. eddacker said, on October 8, 2012 at 3:56 pm

StL beating up on Wash after their loss last night.

29. eddacker said, on October 8, 2012 at 4:02 pm

Hey, Blade, did you see Josh Reddick had a homer yesterday. I was so weird to see a small guy like him hit a homer. What is he 6f and 170lbs? It just did not look right.

• blade3colorado said, on October 8, 2012 at 4:11 pm

Ed, it’s almost as if you think he’s a singles hitter . . . He’s not. Dude had 31 homers this year. My earlier point about him being “Mr. Feast or Famine” is totally in regard to his streakiness as a hitter and .242 batting average this year (.244 career).

• snarkk said, on October 8, 2012 at 4:13 pm

Joe Morgan had 268 lifetime HRs. 5’7″, supposedly, though he looked shorter than that.
      Edd, power is all in the hands, wrist and forearms, and coordinate those with hip rotation through the zone. Boom!
      Another reason why I love baseball. Little dudes like Joe can play and hit it out, just as well as monsters like Boog Powell, Stretch and Frank Howard…

• eddacker said, on October 8, 2012 at 4:19 pm

yep, bat speed just as important as biceps
        but the bat is the biggest part of that guy’s body!
        31 dingers? what is up with Pablo, geez

• blade3colorado said, on October 8, 2012 at 4:29 pm

Yeah, Willie Mays – my hero growing up – was 5’11″ and 170lb. I could relate to him being about the same height and weight . . . Nate Thurmond less so.

30. eddacker said, on October 8, 2012 at 4:10 pm

Speaking of homers, rumours about Josh Hamilton being a fit for the gmen next year. 40+ this year and a left fielder.

• snarkk said, on October 8, 2012 at 4:15 pm

No, no and hell no.
      Read the Texas blogs. Overwhelmingly they want him gone. There must be a reason(s) beyond just the dropped pop in Oakland and some weird ABs down the stretch. Plus, we need RH pop for ATT…

• eddacker said, on October 8, 2012 at 4:24 pm

yeah, he is left handed, but Bam Bam can turn him around.
        and there is the defense
        and the intangibles (can intangibles be negative?)

hey, I just figured out you can tab > enter to post. All this time I been leaving the KB, looking for the mouse and clicking
        what a rube

• zumiee said, on October 8, 2012 at 4:21 pm

Hamilton would be a massive gigantic upgrade to what we have now in leftfield. I’m just sayin’…..

• Flavor said, on October 8, 2012 at 4:31 pm

agreed, but the cost and ultimate decline of his skills over the course of his 10 year deal would cause us to view Zito’s deal as favorable, in comparison……

31. snarkk said, on October 8, 2012 at 4:29 pm

I’d rather take Melky back on a one year incentive laden deal + an option year over Hamilton. Wouldn’t cost near as much as Hamilton, and would be productive, I believe, even without the chemical help. No way this ownership is giving Hamilton a LT deal at $20+ million/year with his baggage. They’re going to scream when they have to give Pence $13M for one year, which they will have to do because there’s no other option for RF…

• eddacker said, on October 8, 2012 at 4:33 pm

bring back Beltran

• blade3colorado said, on October 8, 2012 at 4:46 pm

FUCK BELTRAN AND THE LAME HORSE HE RODE IN ON . . . Ed, you more than anyone else here – umm, perhaps Dennis and Flav too – know my feelings about Beltran. I really dislike Mr. Beltran.

• Flavor said, on October 8, 2012 at 4:33 pm

I’m curious as to why you think Melky would be productive without the juice. He was headed into *journeyman outfielder* territory before he started taking steroids in 2011 and his career took off.
      Now, I don’t KNOW that he started taking them with the Royals but his shotgun success and ultimate bust in SF suggests that he started taking them in KC…….

• eddacker said, on October 8, 2012 at 4:41 pm

Agreed, I can’t see him doing anything like this year w/o the juice. and it is a long way off before management can make any moves. I just had heard the speculations twice, about hamilton. but when hot stove comes later on I will be doing some serious looking at real opportunities. I still say phone park’s rep as a hitter-killing park is a bit overstated. I know there are some issues to work out but Panda should be a 30 homer guy. belt and posey both around 20, pagan with doubles and triples. would be nice.

• snarkk said, on October 8, 2012 at 4:46 pm

No, I don’t know when he started taking the juice. He could have been taking stuff before or during the Royals year, though he passed the test(s). I just think from observing his play that even off juice, he’s got the skills to play the outfield, good speed, and he’d want to prove himself without the chemicals to score a bigger deal down the road. Maybe not a .300 hitter again, but he looks to me like he could be a .275 hitter pretty easily under those conditions and incentives. And, the Giants financial risk is low with an incentivized deal. Blanco and Nady are nothing but utility guys. There’s nobody to depend on from the minors. I don’t have the FA list of OFers, but I’d venture to say the risk/reward matrix on Melky would be favorable. The clubhouse factor is the wild card. Don’t know if he’d be accepted back. I won’t rehash my thoughts on that, and I know you disagree; I just think that with Mota welcomed back, there’s no good reason to cut Melky loose, and very good reasons to risk signing him…

• blade3colorado said, on October 8, 2012 at 5:02 pm

Me? I wouldn’t write off Melky arbitrarily at this point. No idea if the Steroid use began in KC or began here. I have to believe that Sabean has more information than we do. Consequently, I trust him to make the right decision and I will support that, despite what the blogosphere says.

• blade3colorado said, on October 8, 2012 at 4:40 pm

I’m not certain how I feel about Pence. I am hoping his .253 batting average was an anomaly this year. CBS Sports says, “Overall, this season has been disappointment for a player who looked like he had emerged as a batting title contender last year. His free-swinging approach makes him relatively inconsistent from week to week, much less year to year, but obviously, he has the potential for more than he has showed this year.”

I definitely don’t like the 145 strike outs. That is just piss poor and speaks to his impatience at the plate.

• blade3colorado said, on October 8, 2012 at 4:43 pm

Conversely, Pablo is a free swinger too, but there is no hole in his swing (59 SO) and he at least will hit the ball, despite swinging at bad and first pitches.

• eddacker said, on October 8, 2012 at 4:43 pm

especially as he chokes-up on the bat and looks like he should hit for average no problem. It seemed last night he had a little xtra choke going on when he hit into the game ender to short?? makes no sense

• snarkk said, on October 8, 2012 at 4:51 pm

Blade, I don’t know if you heard Pence being interviewed by Marty Lurie a few weekends ago. It may be archived on the KNBR or Marty Lurie website. Dunno. Anyway, Marty asked Hunter what his batting philosophy and approach was. His answer was rambling, but basically “see ball, hit ball, hard”. Not at all what I wanted to hear. I don’t think you’d be impressed, either. I was left with a feeling of no wonder he swings at everything, he’s got no clue, no plan…

• blade3colorado said, on October 8, 2012 at 4:58 pm

No, I didn’t hear that interview. I like the fact that he is durable and played 160 games this year. That’s been his MO his entire career. He needs to get his OBP back to at least his career average of .339 because .319 isn’t cutting it. I would be ecstatic if he got back near his career year of .370 OBP, .525 SLG, and .314 BA. He’s still young enough to have not peaked yet. Next year is definitely a “tell” year for him.

• snarkk said, on October 8, 2012 at 5:16 pm

Pence is the anti-Scutaro, Blade. I don’t know why the Giants organization seemingly doesn’t care much about guys taking good ABs, rather, it’s the “be aggressive” thing. Even Bochy has emphasized in his post-game talks being “aggressive”. I’m cool with aggressive, I’m also down with don’t be stoopid and let the pitcher play you. Posey takes great ABs, but he was barely in the minors long enough to have learned that or unlearned that there, so I think that’s just natural for him. Belt also takes good ABs for a young player, he didn’t get much of that in the minors either, he wasn’t there long enough. And, he’s been criticized by the Giants this year publicly for not being aggressive enough, even though he had the top or one of the top OBPs on the squad. I wish Pablo would spend a few days with Scutaro in the offseason and just think, talk and practice batting approach. Have a Venezuelan group hug, or something. If Pablo just cut down 10% of the volume of his swing zone, his productivity would be so much better IMO. That would not cut down his aggressiveness, it would help him. It’s simple physics that you can hit the ball better and more often when the ball is in the zone, not at your shoe top…

32. snarkk said, on October 8, 2012 at 4:38 pm

Speaking of Pablo, when I listen to the KNBR post game weekend stuff recently, there’s a decided movement in overall feelings towards him. Used to be everybody loved him, and would blow off the overweight stuff and associated problems. A Pablo love fest. Now, lots of folks are turning into the Pablo Ultimatum. Get in shape this offseason and stay in shape next season, or he’s on the block. I’m of the same opinion. No more excuses. Get in shape, stay in shape, produce. Like anybody else. Or lose playing time, or we’ll get somebody else in here entirely, like Posey at third, and Hector takes over at catcher…

• eddacker said, on October 8, 2012 at 4:45 pm

pablo was injured, twice this year.
      I’m just saying . . .

• snarkk said, on October 8, 2012 at 4:53 pm

Yep, I know. He gets a semi-pass for that, obviously. Maybe that’s still an issue for his swing. Next season, with his talent, no excuses…

33. Flavor said, on October 8, 2012 at 4:42 pm

With Voggy going 3 and Zito now confirmed to be starting game 4 (if there is one) I find it interesting that Bochy is now saying that this “was the plan all along.” Correct me if I’m wrong, but I remember a beat writer asking Timmy directly if he was going to start a game in the playoffs and he said point blank “I have been told that I am starting a game.”
    Maybe I’m remembering that incorrectly and I’m not looking it up, but if my memory is correct then there are some things not adding up here…….

• snarkk said, on October 8, 2012 at 4:57 pm

Your memory is spot on. And, even though he was supposedly informed of being in the pen for this series, last night when they got him up to warm up to come in, am I the only one that saw the TV shots that sure looked like he was surprised as hell to be called then to warmup? And, he had barely 5 minutes, if that, to warmup, I think. The Timmy/management saga continues. No way he’s here beyond next July 31…

• unca_chuck said, on October 8, 2012 at 5:08 pm

Yeah, they mentioined it at the time that they thought Timmy might have been warming up downstairs, or that he was given 3 minutes and 10 soft tosses in the pen (and none from the rubber).

The whole thing was weird. But I really thought it might ignite something. But I thought the DP that the suddenly awesome Kontos got (with the appropriate fist-pump reaction) would light a fire.

The whole Timmy/Buster/management thing is getting strange. Thing is, I don’t think he’ll find a situation more to his liking than the one he has here. Except for maybe Seattle.

• snarkk said, on October 8, 2012 at 5:23 pm

Chuck, I think he’s headed for Seattle. No way he wants a piece of NY or Boston or an eastern big city scenario, along with the heat and humidity. Maybe the Angels or some laid back place like that could work for him. The Posey thing (the world didn’t spin off its axis last night with Posey catching him, did it?), this playoff weirdness, the LT deal disagreement, Cain getting the big deal, it all points to him being outta here. I’m going to miss the little shit. For a coupla years there, and in the 2010 playoffs, he was electric. Wherever he goes, and whatever shit they reveal about him when he leaves like they did when they rolled Dusty under the bus, he’ll still be one of my all-time fav Giants…

34. eddacker said, on October 8, 2012 at 4:48 pm

Off topic and for what it is worth, but I figured out a way to conference for any of us that have webcams. easy peasy with a site I used to use when I was working. up to 6? people at once, maybe more. If anyone wants to try sometime I will email details.

35. eddacker said, on October 8, 2012 at 4:49 pm

Beltran just hit his second of the night, 11-4 StL

• Flavor said, on October 8, 2012 at 5:12 pm

that news probably just pisses Blade off. He must be positively soupy over 2 bombs from Beltran!

• blade3colorado said, on October 8, 2012 at 5:30 pm

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr . . .

36. Alleykat said, on October 8, 2012 at 5:41 pm

I’ll take Hunter Pence anyday of the weekYeah he’s geeky looking,especially in the box,but he produces(104RBI’s) has power and speed,always.hustling and will get even better with a full year under his belt. Once he gets comfortable playing RF at ATT,not an easy task,he will be even more of a force,with his strong arm.
    Polar opposite of what we got out of “Constipated Rowand.Dude can play the game,and his “All out hustle I really appericiate and im sure his teammates feel the same way.

• SmokeyG said, on October 8, 2012 at 5:54 pm

Let’s be clear though: Hustle was never a problem with Rowand.

• snarkk said, on October 8, 2012 at 5:56 pm

That and 500 swings a day. Guaranteed…

37. unca_chuck said, on October 8, 2012 at 5:45 pm

Snarkk, you have to wonder how easily the Giants will fight to keep Timmy. If they get a huge offer from say, the Yanks, do you think management balks and succumbs to Timmy’s wishes to go to Seattle and whatever they offer? I don’t think so. I also don’t think he stays the year if he goes south again.

I guess we just have to wait and see how next year plays out.

• snarkk said, on October 8, 2012 at 5:53 pm

No, I think the Giants will get whatever they can from whoever they can for Tim. Largely depends on how he shakes out the first few months next year. But, as a pending FA, he doesn’t have to agree to sign a LT extension with the Yanks or anybody else before a trade goes down. He can tell the Giants to F off, either get a little better deal from Seattle because I WILL extend with them, or send me to the Yanks for a bag of balls because I WON’T extend with them, at least not now, because maybe I’ll get hot in the second half in the AL that hasn’t seen me before, and drive my price up. Unfortunately, for whatever reason, that process isn’t going to be pretty…

38. Alleykat said, on October 8, 2012 at 6:18 pm

Yeah your right Smokey….Rowand’s best hustle was convincing the Giants to give him 5yrs at 60 million…

39. Nipper said, on October 8, 2012 at 7:26 pm

Oh damn! I’m thinking of next season. Cincy has the Giants number for this season. BOO HOO!

• Bozo said, on October 8, 2012 at 7:44 pm

Nipper, Hoo Boo?

• snarkk said, on October 8, 2012 at 7:46 pm

Nippy, you seem to be off your feed. You OK?…

• blade3colorado said, on October 8, 2012 at 7:59 pm

No shit. Nippy is usually Mr. Poly. These 2 losses have obviously taken their toll on Nipper and discombobulated his brain pan.

40. snarkk said, on October 8, 2012 at 8:03 pm

I’m hoping for an O’s win tonite over the Yanks. If the Giants falter, I’d like to see a Reds v. O’s World Series. That would harken back to a retro type matchup that would be cool. Reds v. A’s, meh, even though it would be a good thing for the Oakland economy, and they need all they can get. Reds or Nats v. Detroit; gag me…

• blade3colorado said, on October 8, 2012 at 8:18 pm

I want Reds (only because I like Dusty) and O’s; or, Nats and O’s. Yankees and Detroit doesn’t interest me, and just for general bay area principles, I DO NOT WANT THE A’S IN THE WORLD SERIES. Giant fans wont hear the end of it if that happens, especially on the Splash, where those A’s fans would troll again.

• zumiee said, on October 8, 2012 at 8:18 pm

I don’t mind Detroit. Verlander is something special and I like to watch him pitch.

• ewisco said, on October 8, 2012 at 8:55 pm

i hate the reds. i hate the cards. i can barely stand the yankees and have to remember to play nice because my sons are fans. i remember the o’s, not to say i like them but i remember them in a positive way. detroit, and especially prince can suck my dick. i like the a’s. that doesn’t leave me with much.

41. chipower9 said, on October 8, 2012 at 8:19 pm

O’s up 3-2 over the Yank-Mees…Go O’s! FUCK the YANKEES!!!

Going to the bottom of the 7th.

• Bozo said, on October 8, 2012 at 8:22 pm

Cheers to that chi.

42. SanDawg said, on October 8, 2012 at 8:27 pm

Snarkk–I like your point about Zito in today’s thread. Zits taking the mound in Game 4 with a chance to send the darn thing to Sudden Death would be such a good story, that I can’t imagine it not coming to pass. If he delivered on that stage, I would be finally ready to grant him total absolution for past sins. An “Etch-a-Sketch” moment if there ever was one!

• snarkk said, on October 8, 2012 at 8:31 pm

Thanks, Dawg. Bochy confirmed Zito’s going to get game 4. If there is one.
      It would be a story for the ages if Zito brought that one home…

43. zumiee said, on October 8, 2012 at 8:29 pm

Hey, when’s the last time you all looked at the New York Times non-fiction bestseller list? And there’s a Giants connection, sort of. The book I finished reading during the last part of the Giants game yesterday was Neil Young’s memoir, which is #2 on the bestseller list this week! #2!! Congrats, Neil!

1 NO EASY DAY, by Mark Owen with Kevin Maurer. (Penguin Group.) An account of the mission that killed Osama bin Laden, by a former member of the Navy SEALs. 4
    WAGING HEAVY PEACE, by Neil Young. (Penguin Group.) The rocker’s memoir ranges over his personal life and his music, including his days with Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young. 1
    MUGGED, by Ann Coulter. (Penguin Group.) The political commentator traces racial demagoguery from the 1970s to the present. 1
    INTO THE FIRE, by Dakota Meyer and Bing West. (Random House Publishing.) A Medal of Honor winner’s firsthand account of a crucial battle in the Afghan war. 1
    2 THE PRICE OF POLITICS, by Bob Woodward. (Simon & Schuster.) Inside the debt-ceiling negotiations of 2011 with the Washington Post journalist. 3
    3 JOSEPH ANTON, by Salman Rushdie. (Random House Publishing.) The novelist’s life for nearly 10 years under the Ayatollah Khomeini’s death sentence for writing “The Satanic Verses.” 2
    10 HOW CHILDREN SUCCEED, by Paul Tough. (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing.) An argument that the qualities that matter most have to do with character, not intelligence. 4
    4 KILLING LINCOLN, by Bill O’Reilly and Martin Dugard. (Henry Holt & Company.) The anchor of “The O’Reilly Factor” recounts the assassination of Abraham Lincoln. 52
    THE SIGNAL AND THE NOISE, by Nate Silver. (Penguin Group.) An examination of predictions, the ones that come true and the ones that don’t. 1
    7 UNBROKEN, by Laura Hillenbrand. (Random House Publishing.) An Olympic runner’s story of survival as a prisoner of the Japanese in World War II. 88
    Sunday Book Review | Books of The Times Review
    8 WILD, by Cheryl Strayed. (Knopf Doubleday Publishing.) A woman’s account of a life-changing 1,100-mile hike along the Pacific Crest Trail. 24
    ONE LAST STRIKE, by Tony La Russa with Rick Hummel. (HarperCollins Publishers.) The former manager of the St. Louis Cardinals describes the team’s remarkable 2011 World Series title. 1
    6 THE OATH, by Jeffrey Toobin. (Knopf Doubleday Publishing.) The ideological battles between President Obama and the Supreme Court. 2
    5 LIFE AFTER DEATH, by Damien Echols. (Penguin Group.) The boyhood and prison life of a man who was released last year after serving 17 years on a wrongful conviction for the murder of three boys in Arkansas. 2
    12 MORTALITY, by Christopher Hitchens. (Grand Central Publishing.) Reports and reflections on his illness and impending death by the writer, who died in December 2011. 4
    Also Selling

THE AMATEUR, by Edward Klein (Regnery Publishing)
    BULL BY THE HORNS, by Sheila Bair (Free Press)
    LISTENING IN, by Ted Widmer (Hyperion Press)
    HEAVEN IS FOR REAL, by Todd Burpo with Lynn Vincent (Thomas Nelson)
    STEVE JOBS, by Walter Isaacson (Simon & Schuster)
    IN THE GARDEN OF BEASTS, by Erik Larson (Crown Publishing)
    THE IMMORTAL LIFE OF HENRIETTA LACKS, by Rebecca Skloot (Crown Publishing)
    OBAMA’S AMERICA, by Dinesh D’Souza (Regnery Publishing)
    THE WORST HARD TIME, by Timothy Egan (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt)
    THE POWER OF HABIT, by Charles Duhigg (Random House Publishing)
    AMERICAN SNIPER, by Chris Kyle with Scott McEwen and Jim DeFelice (HarperCollins Publishers)
    THE FINANCIAL CRISIS AND THE FREE MARKET CURE, by John A. Allison (McGraw-Hill)
    THE SECRET RACE, by Tyler Hamilton and Daniel Coyle (Random House Publishing)
    IKE’S BLUFF, by Evan Thomas (Little, Brown & Company)
    THE GLASS CASTLE, by Jeannette Walls (Simon & Schuster)
    OUTLIERS, by Malcolm Gladwell (Little, Brown & Company)
    BOSSYPANTS, by Tina Fey (Little, Brown & Company)
    QUIET, by Susan Cain (Crown Publishing)
    LET’S PRETEND THIS NEVER HAPPENED, by Jenny Lawson (Penguin Group)
    CATHERINE THE GREAT, by Robert K. Massie (Random House Publishing)

• zumiee said, on October 8, 2012 at 8:32 pm

And, yeah, Tony LaRussa is at #12 with a book about last season.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on October 8, 2012 at 8:42 pm

Is that the Giants’ quasi-connection? I’m reading CANADA by Richard Ford, a novel about a kid whose parents became bank robbers in North Dakota. Ford is an exquisite stylist. By the way, I read a hefty portion of Joseph Anton by Salman Rushdie. Excellent.

• ewisco said, on October 8, 2012 at 8:57 pm

ann coulter can suck my dick. catherine the great is too busy with the pony’s.

• blade3colorado said, on October 8, 2012 at 9:43 pm

Ditto for the racist bitch Ann.

44. PawlieKokonuts said, on October 8, 2012 at 8:34 pm

That public drama with Timmy in the dugout was one of the more surreal things I’ve seen in a while. He was like, “Me? Now? You kidding?” But he was also shown laughing with Pablo afterward. But there is definitely something going on. Read Timmy’s quotes, stuff like, “I will do whatever they telll me. Whatever he (Bochy) says, that’s his job.” That’s diplomatic but hardly cheerleading. (Again, I could be misreading tone.) Then I had this brainstorm, which I may’ve said earlier: what if it was Bochy’s plan? Throw him out there as quick as possible without allowing time for him to think about anything, including who is catching. It’s just strange. If this were New York, it’d be on the front page of the Post.

• snarkk said, on October 8, 2012 at 8:44 pm

I’m glad you saw that, too Pawlie. I mentioned it earlier today. Weird. I think somebody said, maybe Chuck, that he thought Tim may have been already warming up in the throwing areas just off the clubhouse. But, if he had, why would he have had that look of bafflement? It’s baffling to ME. Yep, in NYC there would be a kerfuffle about it. Here, nada…

• PawlieKokonuts said, on October 8, 2012 at 8:52 pm

Well, the TBS announcers said he was throwing below (how would they know that?), but they were totally caught off guard. I was even worried he might get injured. Ron Darling or someone questioned whether he could get “hot” quickly enough. But that look — and I wish I could read lips — was a mix of you kidding?? and really?? from Timmy. When I explained this to my 15yo Kokonutsette, who has a #55 jersey and other stuff, she said, Timmy might be a bit of a primadonna. Don’t get me wrong. I’m only guessing. I love the guy and would love him to be a Cy Young-winning Giant for life. But we all know what Magnus has said about racehorses.

• Salty said, on October 8, 2012 at 9:27 pm

Baggardly had this to say:

“Tim Lincecum did not do any pre-throwing or get his arm loose out of sight Sunday. He really did throw just two warmup pitches off a bullpen mound — in front of the rubber, actually — before he was summoned amid confusion to take the mound in the sixth inning.

Asked again about the odd start to Lincecum’s rare relief appearance, in which he threw two scoreless innings, Bochy said Lincecum assured them he was OK to take the mound.

“We placed him on toss (in the bullpen) and he assured Righetti, `I’m good to go. I’m ready to go,’” Bochy said. “And he got confused there because he thought we were waiting for the pitcher to get up.”

• snarkk said, on October 9, 2012 at 12:02 am

Well that certainly gives me confidence on how the Giants are carefully treating a $20Million arm….

45. PawlieKokonuts said, on October 8, 2012 at 8:37 pm

Nice relief here for the Orioles so far. Rooting for them against Magnus’s Yanks [insert gay smiley face]. Man, these TBS announcers are 97 times better than those with Fox.

46. snarkk said, on October 8, 2012 at 9:00 pm

O’s win.
    Nice…

47. ewisco said, on October 8, 2012 at 9:26 pm

is there some part of “out of the baseline” that doesn’t apply at home plate? can ichiro just run around the backstop until he decides it’s time to actually, you know, try to touch the plate? maybe i’m not familiar with the rules governing where you can run as you approach home. we all know that you can flat launch yourself at the catcher, even when he’s not in the baseline.

• blade3colorado said, on October 8, 2012 at 9:45 pm

When you go home, you can stop at the 7-11 for milk. :-)

48. TedSpe said, on October 8, 2012 at 10:25 pm

Okay.
    Flat out.
    I’m a little annoyed
    Yes. Lincecum had a shitty 2012. In fact a really shitty 2012. Worse ERA of ANYONE!!!. Fuckup fucking lousy year that makes everyone else’s fuckup year look worse than anyone else’s fuckup year.

And all ya’ll can talk about is getting rid of the guy?

Loser? Fuckup?
    It’s been said before. “I don’t care about the back of the baseball card” Really??!! Look at the back of the baseball card. The Cy Youngs (notice…plural), look at the 200 strikeout seasons, look at the 2010 post season World Series winning run, which was only TWO years ago.
    Shitty fucking 2012 and now suddenly he’s fucking Charlie Brown??!!

The man, AT THE VERY LEAST is owed an off-season mental check and mechanics check.
    At the very least he deserves that.
    You all disgust me what have talked all this shit. You really do.
    Fuck off

• tedspe said, on October 8, 2012 at 10:29 pm

And I mean that–with all due respect

49. tedspe said, on October 8, 2012 at 11:01 pm

Sorry for the rant–Goodnight, gentlemen (question mark)

• snarkk said, on October 9, 2012 at 12:06 am

I liked it, Ted. Tim does deserve some deference. Zito gave us 5 years of crap, with no greatness, before this season of pretty good. The least we can do is give Lincecum an open mind when he hits ST next year…

50. eddacker said, on October 9, 2012 at 12:58 am

Arroyo, who, prior to tonight’s game, hadn’t won a game against the Giants since August 31, 2008

shitshitshitshitshit

• Nipper said, on October 9, 2012 at 5:31 am

BLEEP!

51. Ih1872 said, on October 9, 2012 at 3:02 pm

Vogelturd looks terrible, again. How long before he gets pulled.

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 498 other followers