One Day, One Game at a Time…

Posted in Uncategorized by chipower9 on October 10, 2012

No big thread today, just a quick reflection on yesterday’s game, that hopefully will spark some conversation.

Here are some of my memories from yesterday that I saw as key to the game.

How about scoring a run without getting a hit. At the time, it knotted the game at 1, all while our boys had cranked-out NO hits. But, it tied the game.

And how about Vogel-TRON. After a horrid first inning (30 pitches, I believe), it was amazing that the Giants trailed only by a run. But, he picked it up and put in five strong innings. Most importantly, he kept the Reds at one run. Huge game for Vogey in his first post-season start.

And let us not forget the bullpen. Affeldt was money for two innings. Casilla was downright SCARY (there were a couple of really loud outs). Lopez got his one batter and Romo with two kick-ass innings to nail it down. Great job by the pen to allow us to get to Extras.

And then there is Gerald Demp III. Buster Ballgame. The guy all believe will be league MVP. He gets it all started in the 10th with a single. Pence follows with more of the same. And I ask, what was with the decision to leave Pence in? Was it the fact that only Hector remained on the bench? Was it bravado? I have read no post-game stories, so I have no idea, but welcome your theories.

And then to score the winning run the way they did…Torture 2012, Baby! It never hurt so good! AND to do it off former Bum Broxton made it extra sweet.

I started night- before-last saying I had a good feeling about game 3. And that feeling carried over into yesterday. Blade had the same groove going, and posted Ashkon’s “Don’t Stop Believin’” video…the anthem for our Giants.

Zito gets the ball today in his biggest start in years. Has he redeemed himself? Will he with a win today? That is a story of and to itself.

Anyway, I have a good feeling about today’s game too. I am READY for some baseball! And with that…

Let’s GET IT ON!

Orange October – GO GIANTS!!!

About these ads

1. Flavor said, on October 10, 2012 at 8:15 pm

Zito will be on the NLCS roster, if we get there. Bochy isn’t going to carry 4 SP’s, her’s going to go with all 5 for the main reason that pretty much none of them are rock solid reliable right now. And don’t sell another Zito start short. It could totally happen. I think Bochy sees Timmy as some sort of secret-weapon at this point.
    Remember, Bumgarner is on fumes right now. There will be ample need for *The Secret Weapon* to come into games.
    Zito had a bad start today but he’s had several good/great ones this year. Certainly more than Timmy. And while I am all about *what have you done for me lately?* I still don’t think you bail on ZIto for one bad start. It wasn’t even that bad, he got out of the first with a K (which was huge), he had a good 2nd and then Bochy lifted him when things got dicey in the third. ANY starter who was shaky was going to get yanked today, Timmy included…….

• twinfan1 said, on October 10, 2012 at 8:44 pm

He might carry all 5 but it would not be smart, nor would giving Zits another chance. It’s not just about one bad start, it’s about years of bad ones. And 8 base runners in less than three innings is BAD.What was huge was Bochy getting him out of there while we still had the lead. And again, you can’t count on the “Secret Weapon” having a lead. We hardly need Tim pitching down 4 runs and we don’t want him pitching instead of our top relievers either. He should start Game 2 of the NLCS, IMO.

• Flavor said, on October 10, 2012 at 8:47 pm

whatever, our opinions don’t matter. He’ll either do it or he won’t. Let’s get there first and worry about it then. As it is, it’s not even an issue. They have to win tomorrow.

• twinfan1 said, on October 10, 2012 at 8:53 pm

Yeah, I figgered that out awhile ago, I’m being optiimistic about tomorrow’s game.

2. Bozo said, on October 10, 2012 at 8:27 pm

You know, the Giants might be facing another elimination game tomorrow, but now, so are the Reds.
    Nite all.

3. paulinasia said, on October 10, 2012 at 8:30 pm

History and statistics certainly favor Cincy in game 5, as a) the Reds didn’t lose 3 in a row at home all year, b) no team has ever lost the first 2 games and then swept the next 3 on the road, c) Cain hasn’t beaten the Reds in awhile, and d) Latos has beaten the Giants. Which of course means SF will prevail with flying colors. Craig, you more into it now? You were feeling decidedly lack-luster over the weekend…..

• twinfan1 said, on October 10, 2012 at 8:51 pm

Just a guess, but with the plethora of stats and records now, there are probably a couple dozen or more broken in every series. They don’t mean a lot…( Fill in the name) is the first with 2 stolen bases, 3 doubles, a sac fly, opposite field HR and food poisoning in an NLDS…

• paulinasia said, on October 10, 2012 at 8:56 pm

Yes, you’re right, which is exactly why I’m not a huge stats guy….. stats for everything. The only stat I would love to see broken tomorrow is Cain finally beating the Reds…..

• twinfan1 said, on October 10, 2012 at 9:10 pm

i do pay attention to stats but the stuff about not losing 3 in a row at home is not what I would call a stat. I’m sure we have a counter point of some kind.

4. Flavor said, on October 10, 2012 at 8:38 pm

I almost don’t care what happens tomorrow. Of course, I want us to win. But if we don’t, it’ll probably be for one of the reasons Paul cited above.
    What I’m most happy about is that we stood up and made a series of it. I was so proud of the way the team played today.
    And yes Paul, I am into it. When I got the text from Pawlie last night at soccer practice, that was the moment that I got into it.
    I haven’t had a feeling about how this series will go, how each game will unfold, and that’s one reason why I haven’t tossed out any predictions. But I think we are going to win tomorrow. I really do. But if we don’t, it’s not the end of the world.
    I do want another game past tomorrow, though. I want one more game with these guys (stealing from Hunter, but whatever)……..

5. paulinasia said, on October 10, 2012 at 8:48 pm

Yeah, weird this time, I also have had no sense (or the wrong sense) about how it all would go. Predictions are out the window in this one. Could easily see all of us being rather happy tomorrow, but also just as easily could see it being over and, as you say, it ain’t the end of the world. I really want the team to move on because it just felt like they weren’t even “there” those first two games, had generated little excitement or playoff fever. Winning game 5 would change all that, I think. Winning game 4 already did a bit.

• Flavor said, on October 10, 2012 at 8:54 pm

After getting 2 hit by Arroyo and no-hit by Bailey through 6 (or whatever it was) I was pissed. I felt like we hadn’t even shown up for the playoffs and that the Giants were being embarrassed in front of whatever national audience was able to tolerate tuning in to their boring, hitless, asses. So I dragged Katie and all our soccer gear and headed off to practice…..
      And then I got Pawlie’s text and didn’t really know what to make of it and couldn’t check because I was coaching……
      And then I found out we won.
      And then today happened.
      And now I’m patiently waiting for tomorrow’s game to unfold while I catch snippets of it on the radio at work which is so stupid I can’t even think straight. That game should be in prime time.
      But that’s the way it goes.

• tedspe said, on October 10, 2012 at 9:35 pm

Poetry, Flav

6. twinfan1 said, on October 10, 2012 at 9:00 pm

Well, our opinions may not matter, but we keep having them anyway, don’t we? I thought that was the idea.

• Flavor said, on October 10, 2012 at 9:20 pm

Totally. But it’s not even something I’m interested in debating much until it actually has a chance of happening. Even then, it’s not much of debate. Zito will be on the NLCS roster, I believe.

7. ChiPower said, on October 10, 2012 at 9:02 pm

Night before last I said I thought the Giants win game 3.

Yesterday morn, I said I had a good feeling about today’s game.

And I have a good feeling about tomorrow’s game, too. Sure, the odds are stacked against the Giants, but I just have this feeling.

I’m with you Flav…if they lose, no biggie, but I truly think they shock the baseball world and close it out with a win tomorrow.

8. chipower9 said, on October 10, 2012 at 9:06 pm

If we get through tomorrow I don’t think Zito makes the cut. But I do think Bochy will choose to carry 12 pitchers, again.

9. Flavor said, on October 10, 2012 at 9:21 pm

And one more time ’cause it feels so good to say….
    We score we win
    Night fellas

10. Nipper said, on October 10, 2012 at 9:22 pm

GO GIANTS! GO CAIN!

11. snarkk said, on October 10, 2012 at 9:32 pm

Hey, now that the Gyros ha’ve gotten to the game #5, that was such a big IF Sunday night past, I want them to win the damn thing. I mean, kick Latos’ ass. It’s time to get greedy, none of this “glad we were here” stuff. It was time to be reticent and hopeful and deferential in game #3, and a little less in today’s game, but now, no more. The pressure is on Cincy. Just like it was on Texas when the A’s swept ‘em at the end of the season. Yep, SF has proved that they’re worthy of going on, so let’s seal the deal and actually move onto the next round. I WILL be pissed if they lose tomorrow, so should everybody else here. Like I said in the 2010 playoffs, I’m bringing this back — Why the Fuck NOT the Giants?!!…

• tedspe said, on October 10, 2012 at 9:47 pm

Why the fuck not??!!

• chipower9 said, on October 10, 2012 at 10:09 pm

Why the Fuck NOT? Absolutely NO FUCKING REASON AT ALL!!!

GO GIANTS!

12. snarkk said, on October 10, 2012 at 9:54 pm

A’s get two runs so far in bottom of 9th to tie the game. Unfuckingreal…

13. snarkk said, on October 10, 2012 at 10:00 pm

A’s pulled it out and won, force game #5 with a walk off single, bottom 9th.
    Unfuckingbelievable!…

14. chipower9 said, on October 10, 2012 at 10:10 pm

Those Fucking A’s…I mean fucking A, they are amazing.

They DO need to lose the gay-ass white shoes, though.

15. ferrethead said, on October 10, 2012 at 10:13 pm

Yay A’s!!!

16. tedspe said, on October 10, 2012 at 10:18 pm

A’s? What is an A?

• blade3colorado said, on October 10, 2012 at 10:20 pm

Fuck the A’s!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I’m a Giants fan.

• chipower9 said, on October 10, 2012 at 10:23 pm

I’m a Giant fan too, Steve…but I am happy to see the A’s playing well, too.

• blade3colorado said, on October 10, 2012 at 10:28 pm

Sorry Chi, I can’t stand them . . . I especially can’t stand their fans that use to populate the Splash, e.g., fishhead, etc. They win the World Series again, we wont hear the end of it. No biggie if you like them, I say fuck ‘em though.

17. blade3colorado said, on October 10, 2012 at 10:19 pm

I agree with snarkk that just being here is no way, no how enough. We come back from being 2 games down and that’s fucking enough? Sorry, they don’t win tomorrow, I will be monumentally pissed off and disappointed. These last two wins totally got me stoked, motivated and ratcheted up for this series. Just “being there” is for wusses.

I am all in and WE ARE GOING TO WIN TOMORROW – NO IFS, ANDS, OR BUTTS ABOUT IT. Get on board Flappers, there’s plenty of room on this bus.

18. chipower9 said, on October 10, 2012 at 10:24 pm

On board the bus? I’m DRIVING the motherfucker!

• blade3colorado said, on October 10, 2012 at 10:29 pm

That’s what I want to hear . . . Right behind ya bro! :-)

19. tedspe said, on October 10, 2012 at 10:26 pm

• PawlieKokonuts said, on October 11, 2012 at 7:22 am

nice images; I didn’t realize he caught the basket catch so low, at least early in his career; love that baserunning

20. tedspe said, on October 10, 2012 at 10:29 pm

Goodnight, gentlemen (question mark)

• blade3colorado said, on October 10, 2012 at 10:33 pm

Nite Ted . . . Say yer prayers, especially the one for the Giants laying vengeance upon the Reds . . . You know the one from Pulp Fiction:

Ezekiel 25:17 – Pulp Fiction Quote
      The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother’s keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy My brothers. And you will know My name is the Lord when I lay My vengeance upon thee.

• Flavor said, on October 11, 2012 at 5:45 am

fucking love that quote and the movie.

21. TedSpe said, on October 11, 2012 at 7:14 am

test

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 457 other followers