We the fans….

Posted in Uncategorized by zumiee on October 12, 2012

….are the true institutional memory of baseball. When the Giants and Cardinals start their series on Sunday, none of those players will be thinking about the ’87 playoffs, or the bad blood between the two teams in general in the late ’80s. And they won’t be thinking about the ’02 playoffs. None of the current players were around for any of that, unless they watched the ’02 series on TV. But we fans remember well those series in the past. This blog’s web address, of course, is named after Jeffrey Leonard’s homerun trot in that ’87 series! I can still remember Bob Melvin being thrown out at third in that bang/bang play in that 1-0, Game 6, like it was yesterday. Why no pinch-runner, Roger Craig? Why no pinch-runner? Kudos to Dave Dravecky for getting that bunt down with two strikes on him. And I could swear it was Don Zimmer coaching third for us that game, pleading with the ump about the call. Don Zimmer???? That can’t possibly be right, can it?

So, this will be two very good teams going at it in this 2012 NL championship series; two teams that will have mutual respect for each other as worthy opponents. The last two World Series champs, who’ve shown the baseball world the superiority of grind-it-out old-school National League baseball. The National League….winners of 3 of the last 4 World Series; and if the NL wins the World Series again this year, the sports media world can completely take a hike with their “oh, the American League has such LINEUPS…..lineups that are so…..SCARY….” Good pitching stops good hitting, and it’s one of the core truths of baseball and always will be. The National League pitches better, plays better defense, and just flat-out plays a superior brand of baseball.

This is a fun Final Four for baseball this season. And, in fact, it’s been an awesome playoff run for MLB so far, other than the Atlanta game being marred by a horrific ump call. And so, the Cardinals made it into the playoffs as the artificially created second Wild Card, rode a bad ump call into the divisional series, and made an epic ninth-inning comeback to get to the NLCS. The Giants made their own remarkable epic comeback to get there. This is good times. Oh, and for a nice little bonus, the Giants get the homefield advantage. Yeah, the team hasn’t been as lights-out dominant at home this season like recent seasons, but it will still be a very cool thing on Sunday to see the ballpark packed with 40,000 energized manic Giants fans, exhorting the team on to great things. The fans are the real institutional memory; and new history will be happening in this series. These two teams will be creating their own particular history vs. each other. Things will happen, competitive attitudes will store memories. These two teams may well bear some grudges for a while after this series. And the fans will remember this series long after all these players have moved on to the next phases in their lives, because that’s what we fans do. We carry the memories of the teams.

About these ads

1. snarkk said, on October 13, 2012 at 12:04 am

I’ve said before we need to get greedy and bring this home. I mean it, in spades. I realize how fortunate we are as fans to have two NLCS appearances out of three years. That is special, very cool. But, it also means we should take advantage. Who knows what will happen the next few years with Tim, the outfield, Buster, Pablo, and all the rest? The only thing we know now is that the squad has a fantastic opportunity to get back to the Big Dance. So, they should just go ahead and get it done…

• zumiee said, on October 13, 2012 at 12:11 am

Yeah, I’m believing they can actually go the distance on this. They won that Reds series without playing their best ball. They have much more potential to show in this Cardinal series.
      ——
      Kind of a quasi-cool trivia item is that the Giants and Cards have both won 18 Pennants, so that tie will be broken. The Cards have been more efficient with their Pennants, winning 11 World Series compared to the Giants 6.

• Macdog said, on October 13, 2012 at 12:24 am

What, you mean we’re not a team like the Washington Nationals who are gonna make the playoffs for the next 10 years?

2. snarkk said, on October 13, 2012 at 1:23 am

I’m going to game #1.
    Sec 312. You better win this bad boy, Bum, ya’ big ass country redneck!
    Anybody else going?…

3. snarkk said, on October 13, 2012 at 1:51 am

Here’s ESPN’s predictions at the beginning of the season for the division, WC, pennant and WS winners. Amusing…

4. eddacker said, on October 13, 2012 at 4:00 am

Saw a photo on SFG.com of the boys watching the game on the plane. headed home to phone park for a Sunday tilt. I know Botchy is thinking ahead to game 1 of the WS for his pitchers. Wainwright got smoked last night. They didn’t so much win that game as Washington gave it away. Soren, who’d a thunk?
    I am watching the game and it is top of the 5th runners at the corners, no outs. Love seeing Davey Johnson in the dugout. Gio Gonzalez still pitching, oops, bases juiced.

5. Nipper said, on October 13, 2012 at 4:13 am

BEAT THE CARDS FOUR STRAIGHT!

• TedSpe said, on October 13, 2012 at 8:24 am

So Nipper, how do you think the series wil go?

6. gianthead said, on October 13, 2012 at 5:12 am

Great Post!

Of course, I ended up gewtting my hands on Game 1 tickets against the Nats….DOH!!

But the Cards pulling off that game in an AL like game that took an eternity and their late celebration probably forced them not to fly back to SF until later today, gives me the feeling we are going to catch them with their pants down for Game 1. I think we have to take care of business and win both at home…

7. Flavor said, on October 13, 2012 at 6:28 am

Wow, still reeling a little bit from the news that Bum is starting Game 1. I agree with Twin, the guy has had ONE QS start in 7 weeks. In fact his last *playoff worthy* start was August 20th. Man, that was a long time ago. Krukow has said several times over the last few weeks (on his am KNBR show) that Bum is struggling with a tired arm. Well, it’s showed.
    The argument to that, of course, is that he’s only pitched 8.1 innings since September 22nd.
    And it’s impossible to ignore his man-child performance in Game 4 of the WS v Texas.
    Still……

we score we win

8. Flavor said, on October 13, 2012 at 7:07 am

And another thing: I’m going to be stubborn about this till the end. We should play outstanding at home. We have rabid fans. We have a LU that is full of gap hitters (the best way to hit and win at AT&T) and we have pitchers who all know how to *pitch to the park*.
    In fact, we were 15 games over .500 at home this year so maybe it’s not accurate to say that we played bad at home in 2012……
    We won homefield advantage last night and it should be absolutely celebrated. It was a gift.
    And of course there’s always this argument:

we score we win

• Macdog said, on October 13, 2012 at 8:15 am

This will be the first time the Giants have home field in the NLCS, not that they’ve been in a lot of them. I’m with you, they should be better at home. They were 15 over .500 at home in late July, but played .500 the rest of the way, not counting the last 2 vs. the Reds.

9. willedav said, on October 13, 2012 at 7:36 am

I dunno, but I’m more worried about having the home field, esp those first two at home. For whatever reason, Giants have played pretty well offensively on the road all year. Biggest worry after we dropped the first two to the Reds was holding them down in their bandbox yard–instead SF was the team that raked and drove HRs.
    Hell, Crawford arias Pagan and freaking Blanco hammered the ball, plus Sando and Posey. I don’t have any doubt Sf can score enough to win in STL. The Cards aren’t a big bash team like Texas–they have guys who can get on base and hit for avg. This is not going to be an easy team to play, despite reg season.
    I do think one significant ad for SF is in the pen, so if we can get 6-7 good innings out of the SPs (and I don’t care who they are/what order), we should be good. Might come down to defense or lack of same. in the end.

• TedSpe said, on October 13, 2012 at 8:13 am

They also went 60+% at home. The road record is impressive but it doesn’t mean they can’t win at home

• TedSpe said, on October 13, 2012 at 8:15 am

Oops. I just saw Flav made the same point before. My apologies for reading posts backwards

10. Bozo said, on October 13, 2012 at 7:54 am

A couple of days ago I said something about not questioning Bochy and I’m going to stick with it. I said I might scratch my head which I’m doing. The funny thing is I could be just as comfortable with Tim starting game one as I could with him being the closer. It appears neither will be the case. It also appears Zito might end up the long guy, which makes me scratch my head twice (Zito likes his routines so I’m not sure about him being in the Pen) and also why Mota would still be on the roster. But I’m just a guy who paid for my ticket and is just along for the ride.

Pelea!!!

• TedSpe said, on October 13, 2012 at 8:19 am

• snarkk said, on October 13, 2012 at 10:59 am

The Beatles on ski-cycles, probably in Switz somewhere.
        A simpler time it was then…

11. TedSpe said, on October 13, 2012 at 8:12 am

Inspirational thread, zum. The only post season game I ever scored tickets to was during the 1987 NLCS.
    Giants lost.
    But Hacman went yard and Jack Clark, pinch hitting, struck out.
    So still…beauty

12. dirtnrocksnomo said, on October 13, 2012 at 8:33 am

Prior to the Nats meltdown last night I thought we would rather face Stl because of the 2 managers left Johnson would match wits best with Bochy. Then that 9th inning happened. Holy cow. What a punk job by Stl. It just highlights Bochy’s brilliance for me. No way he wouldn’t have someone else ready in the pen as things went off the rails like that. Then after it was tied up ol Davey just looked shell shocked and left him in. I’ve never seen the air sucked out of a stadium quite like that.

• Flavor said, on October 13, 2012 at 9:18 am

totally agree with all of this

• blade3colorado said, on October 13, 2012 at 9:40 am

Great post Dirt, especially with regard to “Bochy’s brilliance.” I know that Twin thinks differently, but I respectfully submit that there is NO FUCKING WAY that Bochy gets fired, regardless of how his proposed pitching rotation works out in this upcoming series. Absolutely hilarious for even thinking that is even remotely possible.

Per Shea in the SF Gate:

“Other than Lincecum, no starter has a winning career record against the Cardinals. Bumgarner is 2-2 with a 3.62 ERA, Vogelsong 2-4 with a 6.51 ERA, Cain 2-3 with a 4.94 ERA and Zito 2-6 with a 4.89 ERA. Bumgarner lost his only two starts this year (4-1 on May 16 and 3-1 on Aug. 9) while Vogelsong tossed seven shutout innings in a 15-0 win Aug. 8.”

Bochy is starting Bumgarner for 3 reasons: 1. He is well rested; 2. The reason I cited yesterday – he had a quality start against them in that loss noted by Shea above, – 3 runs, 3 hits, 7 SO, in 6 innings; and, 3. His lifetime record noted above by Shea.

Bochy and his coaching staff knows exactly what they are doing.

• Nipper said, on October 13, 2012 at 11:33 am

In Bochy we trust.

13. TedSpe said, on October 13, 2012 at 8:45 am

Bruce Jenkins, God bless his black hearted soul, has a “don’t take this series lightly” little ditty in today’s SFChron playoff special. Valid points, though. The Cards *are* going to be a challenge and ex-Giant Beltran’s got fucking monster stats in the post season.
    So I’m just going to hang on to the fact that Posey’s already matched his RBI post season total from 2010, Crawford and Pagan can stop anything and Lincecum’s smoking again. Probably in more ways than one

• snarkk said, on October 13, 2012 at 9:26 am

Who the fuck takes an NLCS “lightly”? A lotta times Jenkins is FOS. Actually, IMO, he’s FOS most times. Just because a guy’s been around a long time, doesn’t mean he knows what he’s talking about. He’s done some about faces on opinions over very short time periods. Jenkins isn’t at the level of Glenn Dickey dbaggery, but sometimes, especially when he’s on KNBR on weekends with Marty Lurie, he says shit that just is laughable to someone that really pays attention to the Giants…

• zumiee said, on October 13, 2012 at 9:49 am

Yeah, Jenkins and a lot of other sportswriters do the “strawman” thing pretty regularly. I still remember Jenkins and several other writers, after the ’10 World Series, writing about how “no one thought the Giants could do this.” What a bunch of baloney. The Flap was full of posts that season about just exactly how the Giants COULD do that…..win it all. A lot of us compared that team, early on, to the ’88 Dodger team, and said it was very possible the Giants could win the World Series that year, if they made the playoffs. The Giants are a team that’s built well for the playoffs.

• Brian said, on October 13, 2012 at 9:51 am

He never said anything about taking this series lightly. He simply outlined what the G’s are up against.

• TedSpe said, on October 13, 2012 at 9:56 am

Uhm..kinda the same thing there, chief

14. eddacker said, on October 13, 2012 at 8:55 am

Right now, the Giants just don’t know what sort of starting pitcher they’re going to send out each game.
    BP on how the Giants look going into the NLCS.

15. willedav said, on October 13, 2012 at 9:17 am

I’m with bozo on this one…sure Bochy does some odd things at times, but he’s gotten us this far, and whatever LU/SP he goes with is OK with me. Lincecum out of the pen with his best outings in forever, even in bandbox? Starting Hector and he gets not only a hit but two walks, half his total all freaking year? Starts crawford and he hammers one off f-wad Latos that helps get the big rally going? Stays with Blanco as his starting LF, and when was his last HR? Kontos and Mijares?

• Flavor said, on October 13, 2012 at 9:22 am

that’s pretty much what I said earlier, too. It’s a bit of a head scratcher but he knows more than we do. And I could totally see Bum stepping up. If he *was* tired that’s probably in the past tense now. He’ll have pitched 8.1 innings in the last 23 days when he takes the hill tomorrow. He’s probably locked and loaded and the more I think about this the more I’m on board with it.

16. Flavor said, on October 13, 2012 at 9:23 am

I definitely fear the Cardinal bats but they have a shit middle infield and our pitching is much better than theirs. Plus, they just burned their ace last night so we won’t see him till at least game 4

17. zumiee said, on October 13, 2012 at 9:33 am

The 2002 series between the Giants and Cards will be forever linked in my mind with folksinger Linda Thompson. She hadn’t toured in 17 years when she toured in 2002. She was performing at the Great American Music Hall in SF on the night of one of the games. Before the concert, I watched the game in an SF sports-bar, the first and only time I’ve ever watched a Giants game in an SF sports-bar so far, and Aurilia hit a big homerun, and the place went crazy, as the Giants won the game. In fact, Aurilia might have hit two homeruns in that game. Ah, bless his (possibly ‘roided up) heart. (grin)

• blade3colorado said, on October 13, 2012 at 9:44 am

By the by, good thread Zumiee . . . you brought back a lot of good and bad memories from series past. Thanks.

18. zumiee said, on October 13, 2012 at 9:44 am

I like the MadBum in game One choice. If things don’t work out, there’s Vogie in game 2 to get his snarl on. And, Bochy is liking how things are working out with Lincecum as “super-sub” pitcher. And if not needed as super-sub, he’s available to start game 4.
    The Cainer in game 3, and the possible game 7. Given that Bochy had to use Cainer in game 5 of the NLDS, it’s the best they can do with that scenario.
    I’m going to channel the thought of MadBum in that game 4 of the ’10 World Series. I still remember the first pitch. I was VERY VERY VERY nervous. And Madison fired the first pitch in there for a strike, a 95 MPH fastball, and I thought, woh- this dude is bringing his A-GAME today!
    If Madison brings his A-GAME tomorrow, then we’ll be just fine.

19. zumiee said, on October 13, 2012 at 10:03 am

Ed mentioned this photo…..very cool photo. The guys just hanging out like regular folk.

• zumiee said, on October 13, 2012 at 10:05 am

And….there’s Timmy and Buster sitting next to each other like best buds….(grin)

20. paulinasia said, on October 13, 2012 at 10:04 am

Yo, fellow Flappers (and I know that a lot of you are perhaps better Flappers than I am by your more frequent and insightful presence here… are more Flapperian? whatever). I just want to say, now midnight in Saigon, that I had some thoughts to share here, and of course they were profound and original… but after reading the end of last night’s thread and then today’s up til now, um….. well…. oh, I was going to say that, and that, and that… and oh again, I was going to say THAT… dudes and Ferret, you rock, and you are the rock of Giants fandom around the world. You all shortened my post! But … well… of course.. Just a few thoughts: *Timmy should be starting early. *But I completely trust Bochy. *Whoa, Zum, Linda Thompson… I followed Richard and Fairport from the very early ’70s on…. great allusion… *Also glad it opens in China Basin. NLDS games 1 and 2 didn’t even happen. I think opening (and closing, if necessary) at home is going to be key in the NLCS. *Happy the Nats are gone. I don’t know why but I hate that team. Mainly because I hate arrogance, and they were arrogant. May we yet get to face the arrogant Yanks in the WS. *Speaking of which… Craig, you follow the Yanks. How ’bout Girardi going with CC all the way? Did he just have such faith in the guy after the bases got loaded in the 8th, or has he no faith in his bullpen? And, do you think Bochy would do that with any of our starters? …….

One more thing: I’m reading the analyses and the blogs, et al, about the NLCS. Most folks seem to be saying that the Giants need to hit more. Yeah, not stellar offensive numbers in the NLDS, overall. But it seems to me it will come back to pitching the rest of the way, and what’s really key is the Giants’ starters doing what they’ve done before and we know they can do. Kinda like the way they shut down the vaunted offenses of Philly and TX two years ago. They do that, and “we score, we win”…. yo, Pawlie.

• zumiee said, on October 13, 2012 at 10:11 am

Yeah, Paul, it was a nice convergence in ’02 that Linda hadn’t toured in 17 years, and the Giants hadn’t met the Cards in the playoffs in 15 years; and the Giants won the game that night, Linda’s concert was awesome, and in her band that night were two of her kids who would go on to make albums and do tours of their own, and the Giants won the series and got a measure of pay-back for ’87.

• paulinasia said, on October 13, 2012 at 10:38 am

Very cool. With her (at the time) husband’s guitar wrapping around her singing like a confirming voice or a side conversation… great stuff.

21. twinfan1 said, on October 13, 2012 at 10:17 am

Z always has some of the best posts, this is no exceptiion…
    You all know that I check out the numbers, I was surprised to see how well the Cards fared- second in runs scored, right there with us in team ERA ( gave up ONE less run than we did for the year). Fielding was almost the same, percentage wise, also.On paper these teams might be the most evenly matched to compete for the pennant ever. So why are we going to win in 5 ? Dirt hit on it- good and great managers have been subjected to the Bochy treatment ( Cox, Unca Goober, Washington, Bud Black, Donnie, Baker), I don’t think there’s a manager ever who wins games himself more than our Bonehead. His segue from Zito to Kontos to Mijares to Lincecum and then Casilla/Romo was the stuff of managerial legend. The 8-3 score might be the most misleading margin of victory I’ve seen in a long time. I’ve bitched about using Hector for Tim and Zito all year long- and you know-I’ve been wrong all year long.(don’t misunderstand, I’ve been right on about Belt). But the defensive catastrophe I feared never happened, Hector became maybe the best back up catcher in the league, Buster was fresh right through September, Belt was among he best hitting first basemen in the league the last two months, and we have the likely league MVP in a guy we all would have been happy to just BEGIN his way back. Even I can’t argue with the success of Bochy’s decisions on all of that. Buster will win MVP, Bochy will win the World Series for us again, We have fine relievers but there has never been a leader who inserts and then pulls a guy at exactly the right time than Bochy. No way to prove this but I’d posit than that we’ve seen more potential 6-3 losses become 3-2 wins than any team ever..
    This ad sponsored by the Bruce Bochy superPAC…

22. dirtnrocksnomo said, on October 13, 2012 at 10:20 am

I haven’t seen enough of the Cardinals to have an opinion of Matheny as a manager. What do you guys think?

Leaving in Wainwright for that early shelling was suspect as was his decision to not pinch run for Molina when he was at first in the 9th but Molina has decent speed so maybe that wasn’t a big deal and it’s hard to argue with the outcome but he sort of strikes me as the former raider coach (Callahan?) in a way. The team is good and he’s just running them out there. Bochy manages with a sense of urgency that can be maddening in the regular season but works in the PS and I expect he’ll oumaneuver Matheny but the series will come down to pitching as Zumie statesaim the lead.

23. Wilcojoe said, on October 13, 2012 at 10:43 am

Can Hunter Pence give the Longhorns halftime speech? What a disgrace!

24. twinfan1 said, on October 13, 2012 at 10:50 am

I’m still not on board with Bumgarner in Game 1. There’s a fundamental flaw, actually two flaws, in the ‘super-sub” theory with Timmy and it’s so obvious I don’t understand how everyone doesn’t get it. One: even Bochy’s puppetry master work can’t guarantee that getting Tim in early won’t just make him a more effective Edlefsen- a guy trying to hold a deficit to 4 runs. two- if used late to preserve a lead, he’s our FIFTH best short guy ( behind Affeldt, Lopez, Casilla, Romo). And there is zero justification in him getting just one start, which is all he gets if it’s game 4. I noted the only caveat I have about this poor decision and that’s if Tim himself is behind it. In which case, just take him off the roster- he’s turned into “Big game as long as I’m not responsible Timmy”.In fact, the Bumgarner decision is so wrong, it has to be one made under duress.See my 10:17, Bochy is the only guy who can make this work somehow. Or maybe Madbum got ahold of Mota’s cough syrup..

25. Macdog said, on October 13, 2012 at 10:52 am

A buddy/Phils fan texted me as Affeldt was about to face Ludwick with two on, two out in the 7th of Game 5: “No right-hander?” I shot back: “I think Bochy knows what he is doing.” Easy comebacker to the mound. Inning over.

MadBum for Game 1? In Bochy I Trust.

26. paulinasia said, on October 13, 2012 at 11:05 am

Comments from former Giant and currently Nat-going-home-now Mark DeRosa about SF’s next foe: “The Cardinals, they find a way, man,” he said. “It’s like they go over there and put on that Cardinal uniform and something just happens. They chip away and chip away and they just find a way to beat you.” Hmm. Good match-up with the Giants all around.

27. snarkk said, on October 13, 2012 at 11:06 am

Giants and Cards have a habit of facing each other in NLCS action.
    Giants should have HacMan come back and throw out the first ball and run with Flap Down to commemorate the ’87 NLCS, along with first pitch with somebody off the 2002 team for that series. One loss and one win represented, so things even out…

28. eddacker said, on October 13, 2012 at 11:21 am

Pitching is what everyone says is important. as I quoted earlier The Giants don’t know what kind of game they will get out of them. The good news is it could be a lights out performance from our starters or our CBC will be the MVP of the great series win. I know the pitchers are setup the way they are so that Cain gets game 7 if necessary, wise move by our manager. I think we all agree this series will be won by the better TEAM and team is one thing our Giants have. As for facing the cards, we were going to face a tough opponent no matter what. that is what the playoffs are for. The best teams playing the best teams.

we score we win

• Nipper said, on October 13, 2012 at 11:37 am

Yeah!

• twinfan1 said, on October 13, 2012 at 12:04 pm

There was no maneuvering to get Matt games 3 and 7. It was dictated because the NLDS went 5. . he’s going in Game 3 an 7 if neccessary because it gives him his normal rest. The decision for Bochy was how to use Timmy and the other 3. He’s never faced a more important decision- mostly centered around Lincecum. I’ll re-re-reiterate: if they were to lose the series without Tim having a *significant* role, Bochy is toast.

29. TedSpe said, on October 13, 2012 at 11:35 am

What more do you want of us? We’ve come all this way, no thanks to you. We did it on our own, no help from you.
    We did ask you to fight for us but damn it, don’t fight against us! Leave us alone! How many more sacrifices? How much more blood?
    How many more lives?
    Wilson wasn’t enough. Freddy Sanchez wasn’t. Now this Affeldt finger
    You want another life? Then take me!

30. Alleykat said, on October 13, 2012 at 12:13 pm

Bring on them Cardinals!! As Jack the “Ripper” Clark said in 2010…The Cardinals play with”Poopy Pants”
    Man I love the Ripper!!!!

31. Bozo said, on October 13, 2012 at 12:37 pm

I think inviting Kenny Lofton and David Bell to sit down front would be a nice gesture by the Giants. I also think security having photos of Atlee and Candy so they can 86 them if they show up, would be a nice gesture to the fans that still remember 87.

• twinfan1 said, on October 13, 2012 at 1:04 pm

I thought it was cool for Alex Smith to throw out the first pitch of the NLDS. But Preston Riley and Kyle Willliams for 1 and 2 of the NLCS just doesn’t strike me a a good idea…Alex hits Vernon a helluva lot better than he hit Romo with that pitch, however…

32. Flavor said, on October 13, 2012 at 12:55 pm

Twin said…”I’ll re-re-reiterate: if they were to lose the series without Tim having a *significant* role, Bochy is toast.”
    WTF are you talking about? Bochy is not in danger of getting fired, he’s the best manager in baseball. And what’s up with you all up in arms about Timmy not getting 2 starts? Timmy has sucked as bad or worse than every starter we’ve had this year. St Louis hits lefties and righties equally well so it’s not like you could possibly prefer we toss a righty at them. I can’t figure out why you are so up in arms about this. Timmy had 2 good relief appearances. That doesn’t negate the 20+ shit-starts he had in the regular season and certainly doesn’t justify him getting 2 starts in the NLCS.
    And to suggest that Bochy’s job is on the line over this decision is almost too laughable to respond to. But I did so anyway……
    MadBum has been shaky lately but I could see him pitching well just as much as I could see Timmy or Zito or any of the 5 pitching well.
    Frankly, the only guy who started a playoff game and pitched well was Voggy.
    None of the other 4 deserve getting anything handed to them, in my opinion………

• eddacker said, on October 13, 2012 at 2:09 pm

Bochy is toast
      I didn’t even know he was bread or that there is a toaster anywhere around.
      But then I have explained that I get virtually zero news over here and I am only average when it comes to searching for minutia.

33. twinfan1 said, on October 13, 2012 at 1:09 pm

Settle down. You get way too worked up over lil ole me, dude. Tim could make it moot anyway, have some lunch and chill out.

• Flavor said, on October 13, 2012 at 1:22 pm

Hey, I couldn’t be any more settled. Had 8 hours of sleep, coached my girls to another 3-0 victory, ate a nice lunch….but you’ve now suggested twice that you think Bochy could be fired over how he handles Timmy in this series. Look, the Giants could get swept in 4 games, lose by double digits all four games, and Timmy could fail to ever even take the mound and Bochy will still be here next year…….

• twinfan1 said, on October 13, 2012 at 1:34 pm

If your latter scenario actually happened, Bochy would be gone before Timmy could flip the Double-double post Game 4 spread…

• Flavor said, on October 13, 2012 at 1:40 pm

the latter scenario of Timmy not getting used at all? I disagree. Tim Lincecum is in the same boat as all of our other starting pitchers: He doesn’t deserve anything more than any of the other 4 based on how he pitched this year.
        Now, it would be unusual if Bochy didn’t use him at all. He’d probably have to come up with a reason for that. But he wouldn’t get fired for it. No fucking WAY. Bochy will manage here in SF as long as he likes.
        And assuming he’s going to win the MOY award wouldn’t it be a little tough to explain firing him because he just decided against using a starting pitcher who had the worst ERA in the NL for pitchers (who pitched at least 162 innings).

• eddacker said, on October 13, 2012 at 2:27 pm

I have always know members of the flap know things and know more than I do. Twin is one of them fer sure.
        Perhaps we put our MOY on a pedestal a bit to high. Maybe this series will prove him a bit more mortal than I think he is.
        but I doubt it.
        we score we win

34. zumiee said, on October 13, 2012 at 1:15 pm

Ah, Ted, with the “Poseidon Adventure” scene there. One of Gene Hackman’s finest moments. Did he win the Oscar for that? Well, if he didn’t, he should have. (I mean Gene, not Ted, although you did it very well, Ted. I could practically see you hanging from that big metal doorknob thingy, with the steam escaping from ruptured ship thingees, and the abyss below.)

• TedSpe said, on October 13, 2012 at 2:43 pm

Won his Oscars for “The French Connection” and “The Unforgiven”. Wasn’t even nominated for “Poseidon”. Did it just for the money

35. Alleykat said, on October 13, 2012 at 1:20 pm

God,Josh Nunes sucks for Stanford.Has no clue out there,never looks off defensive backs,throws in double coverages,no touch,except to the opponents for easy picks. Shit is Nottingham worse then this clown?

36. twinfan1 said, on October 13, 2012 at 1:21 pm

Whether Bochy would face possible termination if he fucks up the usage of Timmy is something that will be unlikely to happen since I already picked the Giants to win in 5. But dispute over how he should be used is all over the motherfucking web… it’s hardly a Mikey invention…

• Flavor said, on October 13, 2012 at 1:24 pm

There’s dispute and discussion across the internet over every freaking decision a manager makes. This particular decision isn’t like “do or die” for Bochy and his job security next year. That one is still giving me a chuckle……..

37. twinfan1 said, on October 13, 2012 at 1:30 pm

Good for you. Laughing is good therapy. .

• twinfan1 said, on October 13, 2012 at 1:38 pm

Anything’s possible. Hell, I thought Zito would make his first successful big game start in 6 years. I was wrong.

• Flavor said, on October 13, 2012 at 1:42 pm

you’re a piece of work today. His first successful big game start in 6 years? I’m assuming you meant “playoff start”? Because he pitched successfully in MANY MANY games this season that would qualify as *big games*.

• twinfan1 said, on October 13, 2012 at 1:53 pm

Playoff, possible clincher (2010), or last month in a close race. nada.

38. ferrethead said, on October 13, 2012 at 1:45 pm

Brillant post, Zumiee! Couldn’t agree more, that the rivalries & memories mean so much more to us than the players. They come and go whilst we abide.

39. twinfan1 said, on October 13, 2012 at 1:46 pm

Look, it’s no easy job when I even have to correct a former NL MVP. As I said last night: Joey, no one can vote for the NL MVP now.Voting ends before the playoffs begin… It’s quite the burden being the voice of reason day after day ;-)

• Bozo said, on October 13, 2012 at 2:09 pm

True. People forget that all the awards voted by the BBWAA are submitted before the playoffs. I think the confusion is due to the later announcement.

40. Flavor said, on October 13, 2012 at 1:51 pm

haha, that ND QB is a hoot. He has next to none sense for when pressure is coming.

41. zumiee said, on October 13, 2012 at 1:53 pm

Thanks for the encouraging words, everyone!
    I still marvel that BF did that every day for a couple of years or so, at such high quality.

• Flavor said, on October 13, 2012 at 1:57 pm

Sometimes I marvel at that a little myself, my man. :)

• twinfan1 said, on October 13, 2012 at 2:07 pm

Don’t disageee on what a great job Craig has done. I have more trouble with my grocery iist than he’s had coming up with a daily post..

42. zumiee said, on October 13, 2012 at 2:01 pm

I recently finished reading Rosanne Cash’s memoir “Composed,” and it’s an excellent book. At one point in the book she talks about the years it took for her to get comfortable singing in front of audiences, and it made me think of athletes performing in front of crowds, and how it’s so easy to take that for granted, as fans. It really is remarkable what all these athletes do in all their various sports, taking on very difficult athletic challenges with so many people STARING at them while they do it. It’s not enough to be terrific at a sport in practice sessions. The athlete has to not be consumed with stage fright during competition.

43. Flavor said, on October 13, 2012 at 2:04 pm

I’ve said several times that I would have supported a Timmy Game 1 start against the Reds and I would have been fine with him going Game 1 against the Cards. I think it *could* have been a huge way to start off a series with our former rockstar ace recapturing his playoff dominance from 2010.
    The flip side?
    He starts Game 1 and turns in one of the many suck-jobs he turned in in 2012. I’m assuming that Bochy decided he didn’t want to risk that happening and Timmy turned in more shit-starts than any of the other 4 starters did in 2012
    Bottom line, for me, is that I feel comfortable with any of our 5 starters starting a game in the playoffs but I wouldn’t bat an eyelash at ANY of them smoking massive pole in a start.For me, ANY of them getting more than 1 start inspires a big gulp from me regardless of who it is…..
    Therefore, I’m fine with whatever the order is and I’ll pray for the best when each pitcher takes the hill……..

• twinfan1 said, on October 13, 2012 at 2:44 pm

No argument can be made that Tim hasn’t pitched far better than MadBum over the last couple months, which is obviously a better current barometer than June and July. In fact, I support Zito getting a Game 4 start and have said so numerous times after reviewing the numbers There’s an additional problem if Bochy didn’t lie to Tim, however- Zito doesn’t get a start and if he’s still left on the roster, he’d then be about as much help as a ball dude. Again, the rotation that makes the most sense is Vogelsong (it’s pushing Tim”s rest for him to go in game 1), Lincecum, Cain, Zito, with MadBum to the pen Look, i expected Madison to be our ace and he was well in his way- but he has clearly regressed. He’s still a major talent and possible future CY winner, but he is the 5th best starter now. No one hopes he turns that around tomorrow more than I do.

• Flavor said, on October 13, 2012 at 3:14 pm

I can see your point but you’re acting like TIm is this rock-solid alternative. He had 2 very nice relief appearances but that’s it. He had the HIGHEST ERA of any starting pitcher in the NL this year. He did go 3-1 in September (Zito went 4-0) but he had a big ERA and a HUGE WHIP. Now of course, Bumgarner was even worse in September.
        But I am going off what Krukow said repeatedly, that Bum had a tired arm in September. And maybe he needs all Winter off for it to bounce back. But it is also possible that he’s feeling good again and that Bochy and Raggs have seen that arm bounce back in his bullpen sessions and that’s why they’re rolling the dice with him tomorrow.
        I was against it this morning but thought it through and I at least feel reasonably confident that Bochy has a plan with this and that he’s got enough info from watching Bum’s side sessions with Raggs to feel confident that Bum will be good to go on Sunday. I can’t imagine they’re going with Bum in order to avoid having to use Timmy in Game 1 or 2….

• twinfan1 said, on October 13, 2012 at 4:13 pm

Good managers roll with proven big game winners all the time- Matheny started Carpenter in the NLDS despite Carpenter throwing just 17 innings all year.But I don’t want ro discuss this with you anymore after this, I hope MadBum is as good as *I* always thought he’d be.
        .I don’t doubt that Bochy has a plan- that using Tim in just one start or none will free him up for more rescue work. As I’ve pointed out and is easily figgered out, it’s an incredibly risky strategy if the idea is to actually utilize Tim to best advantage. He could relieve in games wiihout ever having a lead to rescue- Timmy Edlefsen.

44. Bozo said, on October 13, 2012 at 2:16 pm

If Tim blows it in game four, Bochy will get shit that he didn’t start him at home. If Romo or the CBC blows a save, Bochy will get shit for not having Tim close. It’s kind of the nature of having the Manager title, your decisions are questioned and you get shit if you lose. If you win, you get to go through it all over again next game.

45. Flavor said, on October 13, 2012 at 3:47 pm

can’t really complain about either of those penalties called on Stanford. Oh well, another OT game, bring it on

46. Macdog said, on October 13, 2012 at 4:02 pm

No real surprise to the Cards rotation: Lynn, then Carpenter, Lohse, Wainwright.

47. snarkk said, on October 13, 2012 at 4:22 pm

Short of shagging the wives of Baer and Sabean in a triple in the back room at Momo’s, Bochy will return next season no matter what happens in the next fortnight…

• twinfan1 said, on October 13, 2012 at 4:36 pm

The cool thing about arguments like that, and why people make them, is the unlikelihood that they will ever have to be tested. Since the Giants will win the NLCS, mine won’t either.

• snarkk said, on October 13, 2012 at 4:40 pm

Still waters run deep?…

• twinfan1 said, on October 13, 2012 at 4:53 pm

Well, anyone who thinks Bochy wouldn’t be in deeper waters rhan the Marianas Trench if they lost this series without Lincecum having a significant role just doesn’t understand the kinds of errors that get managers canned.He’d have a better chance with that 3-way..

48. snarkk said, on October 13, 2012 at 4:39 pm

Why not flip Bum and Vogy to Vogy and Bum; that way Bum would have two starts potentially at home ( 2 and 6), where he’s much better. Unless he’s planned to not pitch in StL under any circumstance anyway…

49. Flavor said, on October 13, 2012 at 4:46 pm

I hate Notre Dame, always have. But the intensity of that hate shot up exponentially after the worst replay mistake I’ve ever seen in football at any level. And it was a Pac 10 crew! They were either afraid to make the right call because of the crowd or they’re on the take. There is no third option………

50. snarkk said, on October 13, 2012 at 4:46 pm

Giants have to outpitch the Cards, not outhit them. SF won’t win a series where both staffs are getting crushed…

• Flavor said, on October 13, 2012 at 5:00 pm

agreed. And I am tacitly expecting a much better effort from our 5 starting pitchers. Cain never pitches well against the Reds so there goes that problem. Bum can be expected to pitch better if you believe that his arm has bounced back after being tired in September (and you have to assume it has or Bochy wouldn’t have tabbed him to start Game 1). Voggy has been the best pitcher on the staff, by far, over his last 4 starts. And then it comes down to who starts game 4 and you have to think it’s going to be Timmy. If he can build off his relief appearances then you have to think he’ll pitch well in Game 4. And Zito, well, it would be hard to pitch much worse so he has no where to go but up…….

Something I noticed about Timmy and his relief appearances: he sure was throwing a lot more strikes. Was that because he pitched more confidently and threw harder knowing he was only going to go a few innings? Probably not, his FB was basically the same.
      But something I didn’t know: Here’s an article at fangraphs.com that seems to suggest Lincecum is throwing exclusively from the stretch now. The way I read it he’s only been doing this in the post season. Maybe this was common knowledge. I had the sound off for most of the time that I watched Timmy in relief and maybe they mentioned it then. I know Kruk hasn’t mentioned it and I haven’t heard anyone here mention it.

Either way, it could be an interesting development to him turning his season around at just the right time.

Anyway, here’s the article if you want to read it.

• snarkk said, on October 13, 2012 at 5:03 pm

I mentioned this a few days ago — remember back in 2010, I think, when he was discombobulated for a while, he went to pitching in the stretch for the entire game, regardless of men on or not, for several games, in an effort to get his mojo and “mechanics” right. Maybe they are recognizing that now, again…

• Flavor said, on October 13, 2012 at 5:10 pm

no, I missed you mentioning that (not saying you didn’t say it just that I missed it). I’m wondering why this change hasn’t gotten more press? Kruk is all over shit like this and he’s been harping about Timmy’s mechanics all season.
        I’m assuming the argument *for* going to the stretch exclusively is that it keeps him from having too many parts moving? And since his velocity isn’t dipping, why not?

• snarkk said, on October 13, 2012 at 5:12 pm

I read the article. Ok, the guy has some interesting conclusions. Sometimes, though, I wonder how these guys get writing jobs. Get this: “Bochy called on George Kontos. Kontos began the fourth, and then was replaced by lefty Jose Mijares, to face lefty Joey Votto. Mijares struck Votto out for the second out of the frame, and after that bit of unplanned strategic genius,…” WTF is that? Bochy just ACCIDENTALLY brought in Mijares to get Votto? Here’s another one: “Now Lincecum has made two strong postseason appearances in relief. Granted, we’re talking about two appearances, against a below-average offense.” The Reds are a “below average” offense? This guy needs an editor…

• twinfan1 said, on October 13, 2012 at 5:23 pm

Almost all year Kruk said a huge part of his problem was when he was in the stretch.But if the new stretch theory is correct, it makes giving him just one start dumber. He starts game 2 and 6 and pitches from the stretch…

• snarkk said, on October 13, 2012 at 5:25 pm

I have no clue whether pitching in the stretch has set Tim right for a bit, or very short warmup time means he’s not overthinking mechanics, or what. But, as I said before, if he doesn’t right his ship as a starter next year, it seems to me these two performances suggest he could be a top shelf late innings guy, if the stretch is what brings his control back into line. IF he can control all his other pitches, his 90 mph fastball is plenty to be a top closer, a swing and miss guy. Rivera, Huston, those guys don’t blow you away with cheese. It’s location and movement. Whether pitching every other day puts more of a strain on him than 110 pitches every fifth day, I dunno. And, he’d have to totally upgrade his ability to hold runners on, which is non-existent now…

• twinfan1 said, on October 13, 2012 at 5:29 pm

Tthe Reds were 9th in the NL in runs and slightly below average in most other hitting categories as well.

• snarkk said, on October 13, 2012 at 5:35 pm

3rd in NL in HRs, 6th in Slg…

• Flavor said, on October 13, 2012 at 5:38 pm

Kruk has discussed his problems in the stretch this year but he’s had 1 KNBR morning show since Timmy’s last relief appearance and he didn’t even bring it up in 10 minutes. I find that odd. It’s possible that this fangraph article is just another internet writer spewing bs (they’re everywhere, even fangraphs) but it seems credible enough to me to at least take a look at it……..

51. blade3colorado said, on October 13, 2012 at 4:48 pm

Just got back home from visiting a number of old haunts with a friend and reminiscing about how much trouble we use to get into. Thank God I no longer drink/drug and got through my teens and 20s in one piece. If I ever wrote my bio (or had Pawlie write it), Hollywood would knock down my door for the film rights. :-)

Fascinating comments here as usual . . . :-)

52. snarkk said, on October 13, 2012 at 4:54 pm

Two years in a row the Cards make it through to the NLCS. Seems to take a little luster off the supposed magical managing of LaRussa. And, I’m always down with that. He’ll be a HOF manager by time served and sheer weight of numbers. But, I find it weird that a guy who had two teams closely associated with ‘roids and whose main guys (Mac and Jose) will never get in the HOF because of that, apparently will get a Pass Go Card on those pesky facts on his way to the HOF…

53. twinfan1 said, on October 13, 2012 at 5:09 pm

Well, I’m giving Tony credit for the most gentle DUI I’ve known of.What was he doing? 1/2 mile per hour? He ran over an ant the ant only suffered a sprained thorax.

54. snarkk said, on October 13, 2012 at 5:18 pm

I’m not sure why I’ve tended to be intolerant of LaRussa all these years. He just seems insufferable to me, way more than a tad uptight, and acts/talks like he’s curing deadly disease while he manages. Bochy’s demeanor is far more affable, and he seems to get the job done without seeming career-long constipation…

55. Flavor said, on October 13, 2012 at 5:23 pm

As MacDog reported above, the Cards are going with Lynn, Carpenter, Lohse and Wainwright. We dodged a bullet with Jaime Garcia going down with a shoulder injury. That cat has *Latos’d* us in his career…..
    Here are the WAR numbers of the respective starters in this series. You guys know my opinion about WAR but it IS a respected stat by stat-geeks (that doesn’t validate it to me, by the way) and it’s a decent, all-encompassing way to look at a player’s value……
    _______________________
    Lynn: 2.9
    Bumgarner: 3.4
    _______________________
    Carpenter: 0.2 but that’s just for this year (3 starts). He’s been between 3.0 and 5.0 for the last 3 seasons)
    Voggy: 2.6
    ________________________
    Lohse: 3.6
    Cain: 3.8
    ________________________
    Wainwright: 4.4
    Timmy: 1.5 Zito: 0.8

56. snarkk said, on October 13, 2012 at 5:32 pm

Something maybe overlooked a bit:
    Giants have more team speed: SBs are 118 vs. 91 reg season in favor of SF.
    Plus, Furcal probably has a good number of those, he’s hurt, right? Molina’s damn good, but as far as taking the extra base or getting triples, edge to the Giants…

57. snarkk said, on October 13, 2012 at 5:39 pm

Nighty night, hope Gyros sleep well.
    I’m going to try to get to ATT around 3 and enjoy all the pregame hoopla and sizzle. I haven’t been to an LCS game since the ’71 series against the Bucs, and that game did not turn out well at 9-3 Bucs. I’m hoping for a better result tomorrow.
    If anybody else is going, give a shout if you want to meet up…

• twinfan1 said, on October 13, 2012 at 6:10 pm

God, I envy you. Enjoy the game. I’ve been reminiscing about the anniversary of Mazeroski’s game winner in 1960 and the 3rd anniversary of my lung surgery.BTW. I ‘m prejudiced but I consider Bill the greatest defensive second baseman of all time, Here he is tr the ceremony for his statue at PNC park. My goodness,time goes by, More than 50 years ago he thrilled me and thousands more with one of the great HRs n the history of the game.
      bill

• blade3colorado said, on October 13, 2012 at 6:27 pm

Have fun snarkk. Tomorrow, I am picking my parents up at the SF airport and am just praying that their plane is on time, so I don’t miss any of the playoff game on tv.

58. twinfan1 said, on October 13, 2012 at 5:50 pm

Well, despite my misgivings about the rotation,. I ‘ve picked SF in 5 largely because of Bochy- not the players.Normally a manager makes very little difference but Bochy has schooled the best of them both in stretch runs and in the playoffs Most significant has been what he got from the Posey/Sanchez/Belt potential fiasco ( I was wrong, as I said earlier) and the most recent example- steadfastly staying with Crawdad in game 5 after Arias’ hitting in Game 4 and a big clamor for Arias to start Game 5. Doubbtful we win Game 5 without Mudbug.

59. Flavor said, on October 13, 2012 at 5:53 pm

Have fun at the game, Snarkk. I’m not planning on going to any games but I could easily get a wild hair up my ass and end up at a couple……
    I was wondering how my *player post season prediction* list was holding up so I went back and found it:

“Flavor said, on September 24, 2012 at 6:56 pm (Edit)
    My post season players I think will get hot (or stay hot): Posey, Pagan, Panda, and Hector (not to trip any of you out, but I had a dream that he won the WS for us with the GW hit)
    Guys I think are going to have a sub-expectation 2012 post season: Belt, Crawford, Scutaro, Pence, Nady (in that order of worst to not as worse)
    Don’t read into any of this, it’s all just based off a feeling I have for how the post season is going to go. I do think we win the WS this year and I think Hector wins it for us somehow. I guess we’ll see how that unfolds……”

I’d say that, outside of Hector (and don’t sell my WS winner prediction short), I pretty much nailed it.

And I think that for us to succeed vs St Louis we have to have Belt and Pence step up. They HAVE to produce runs (either scoring them or driving them in). Walks are nice, I love the walk, but not when you’re 1-13 in the post season. Time for Belt to step up……..

• twinfan1 said, on October 13, 2012 at 6:29 pm

Since you seem to be going on offense, you should be fair and note that Pagan hit just .150. But I think he, Pence, and Crawford all were very instrumental in the win. Plus two you called: Buster and Panda.
      As to Belt, every comrnentor on every outlet noted he had the best ABs of anyone on the team in the first two games.He did have two awful games in his last couple, He does have to step up.Along with some others.

• Flavor said, on October 13, 2012 at 6:38 pm

I wasn’t just going on offense, Pagan’s catch and Posey’s throw out at third were instrumental in the game 5 win.
        But I certainly should have also said that I missed on Crawford. Though he was 0-10 going into game 5 his final game performance was spectacular and critical to the win….

• twinfan1 said, on October 13, 2012 at 7:26 pm

Pence’s gutting it out in Game 3 was as big as it gets. hard to believe that is not considered critical- there’s no game 4 without his effort on one leg. Just looking at the roster and trying to come up with non-contributers ( defense counts for everybody, not just favorites), there aren’t many slackers: Huff, Nady, Theriot really had lttle opportunity to make a differnce but they did nothing when given the chance.Every other position player had a hand in the series win one way or the other. So looking at the pitching staff- even Zito gets some credit for not giving up the whole enchilada before Bochy got him. So of 25 players only 3 reserve position players, Mota, and MadBum can be said to have contributed nothing, They all rooted well, however.

• Flavor said, on October 13, 2012 at 8:17 pm

well I disagree with you. I think my list pretty much covered the most important players in the series who contributed to the overall win, as well as those who smoked copious pole. Of course everyone did *something* at some point in the series, if they played at all, that’s a given.
        The big question is going to be who steps up in this next series and many players have to.
        And Hector is going to win the WS with a hit to send us all into absolute delirium……..

• twinfan1 said, on October 13, 2012 at 8:46 pm

It’s always totally exaggerated as to who HAS to step up. There are exactly zero invidual players who *have* to.
      But I just don’t look for goats as vigilantly as some. On the orher hand, I recognize contributons more than most.For instance, i don’t exclude Blanco as a significant contributer just because I didn’t call it before hand.

60. dirtnrocksnomo said, on October 13, 2012 at 6:22 pm

Belt has been real close. He got robbed in his last AB. I think he’ll do well in this round but it will be Sandoval busting out with some ’10 redemption and carrying the club.

• eddacker said, on October 13, 2012 at 11:00 pm

IMHO the umps were a bit off in that series, for everyone. Belt has such a great view of the strike zone I saw him say to the ump on one pitch (a strike three pitchtrak had outside) “that was outside.”
      Would be a dream come true to see Belt have a game.
      or two

61. Sportdude said, on October 13, 2012 at 6:29 pm

Just thinking about predictions..I was in Vegas late June. Giants just got to 1st, Phils in last. I was in the sports book at MGM and watched Giants win, Dodgers lose. Yes! Looked at the board. Phils 6-1, Giants 18-1. WTF? I asked the guy..Is that right? Phils are in last place like 15 games under. He says yes, odds haven’t changed much since the start of the year. Cool. $20 on the Giants to win the WS please.

• Flavor said, on October 13, 2012 at 6:36 pm

nice. So you DID place the bet, right? Well done.

62. Flavor said, on October 13, 2012 at 6:35 pm

Zumie, I re-read your post just now. I read it this morning, too, but I don’t think the coffee had kicked in. Your thread today was outstanding, one of the top 3 produced by the Stable Boys since we started doing this 3 months ago.
    You actually inspired me to go through an old baseball card box from the 80’s—I’ve been through it before, there’s nothing in there of value—maybe 1000 card total? And some old unopened packages that I continue to leave unopened. How do you think that stick of gum would taste 25 years later, lol? Anyway, I did find a Jose Oquendo card and I tore it up threw it into the recycling bin. I considered burning it but that felt over-the-top. The fact that I was considering the different ways to destroy the card was even MORE over-the-top. :) :) :)
    For the fans, those memories are always there. I wrote about it during 2010 and have thought about it from time to time since then–your post rekindled it. The memories we carry as fans are like a supernova that settles inside of us, the only difference being it never burns out…..

63. Flavor said, on October 13, 2012 at 6:40 pm

God I hope we play the Yankees. You should all be rooting for the Yankees. The Giants have next to nill chance v Verlander. And the Yankees just aren’t very good, I am amazed they have gotten this far…..

• zumiee said, on October 13, 2012 at 7:09 pm

Wow, when did A-Rod turn into Rowand? And the Yankee fans boo Granderson for striking out. That whole Yankee/Red Sox/Phillies fan thing of booing their own players who have done a lot for their team in the past is something I just don’t get, and never will. I’m glad Giants fans aren’t like that. It’s disgusting. It takes a LOT to make Giants fans boo a Giants player. It took a few years of Zito catastrophe before fans booed Zito a little bit.. He hadn’t done anything in the past for the Giants yet. Now, there’s no way that Zito will be booed in the future after this season.

• Flavor said, on October 13, 2012 at 7:17 pm

Agreed. Their is a bizarre simmering hatred that the Yanks/RedSox and Phillies have for their own. No other teams boo their own players so frequently and so quickly as those 3 east coast teams……..

• Bozo said, on October 13, 2012 at 7:46 pm

Hell Zum, we even cheer ex players on other teams (the Dodgers by the most part, are the exception). Look at the appreciation given to Dusty, managing a team who we’re playing in the Playoffs.
        It is weird how the East Coast fans quickly turn on their own. It’s almost like the “What have you done for me lately?” test is applied, swing by swing and/or pitch by pitch.

• eddacker said, on October 13, 2012 at 11:04 pm

I am thinking, as much as they may want to, our fans will not boo Beltre the first time he comes to the plate. He has said the Giants never gave him a call, they just let him walk.

64. Alleykat said, on October 13, 2012 at 7:22 pm

Fuck theYankees they can stick it where “The Sun Don’t Shine” BF!
    Besides Matt Cain will show Justin Verlander who the top dog is..There both equal in ability in my book.
    Yanks are a bunched of washed up has beens except for Cano..Can’t believe you really like following those chumps BF.

65. twinfan1 said, on October 13, 2012 at 7:44 pm

Girardi made a gutty call pinch hitting for A-Rod with Ibanez- and love ‘em or hate ‘em, that became one of the most exciting games of this or any other postseason. A-Rod may be the greatest actor since Olivier, but otherwise what I saw was genuine joy when Ibanez tied it with the HR..
    But then Rondo benching Rodriguez was just not excusable if he was 1 for 100 ..
    Side note: Alex Smith rates ahead of A-Rod on the Google drop down menu after typing in just “Alex”…

• Bozo said, on October 13, 2012 at 8:13 pm

That’s weird, neither shows up on mine at all. Maybe Google does a weighted average where the majority of topics searched show first unless the individual IP address has searched a similar topic and those results get the top spots? I know I’ve never searched for either guy.

• twinfan1 said, on October 13, 2012 at 8:21 pm

Maybe it is regional. I’ve always thought it was unusual.

• Bozo said, on October 13, 2012 at 8:35 pm

Mine is really weird. I get Alex Morgan, Alex Pettyfer, Alexander Skarsgard, Alex Clare and then Alexander the Great (you’d think somebody listed as the Great would get top billing).

• twinfan1 said, on October 13, 2012 at 9:25 pm

I ger Alex Morgan first also.Then our Alex, then Pettyfer, then Clare, then Aexander the So-So…

66. Flavor said, on October 13, 2012 at 8:04 pm

I follow every team, ‘Kat. I just got drawn to the Yankee scene a few years ago and it’s hard to not follow. They aren’t just playing baseball, they’re leading a movement. It’s not a movement anyone but those involved in the movement should care about—but their complete devotion to the movement, and really it’s a machine, is a weird thing to watch play out. And this is the shit I like to follow. It’s like watching a real life soap opera play out and to really *get* it you have to watch the games and read the articles. So that’s what I do…. Everyone hates the Yankee players because of the dough they make but they deal with shit that NO OTHER PLAYER has to deal with. I could care less about their contracts. They are just the ignition sticks. Go check out some of the print newspapers that cover the Yankees and tell me any other team has to deal with that type of microscopic minutia. Go look at what’s going on with A-Rod right now. He’s making 30 mil a year and he’s basically riding the pine. It’s epic…….
    And the YES Network is by far the best most professional sports network I’ve ever watched regularly….
    I’ve never rooted for or against them and never got drawn to them just because I watch the games. I have no emotion about them whatsoever.
    But I am rooting for them in this series. As I said earlier today, they suck, we will kill them if we are somehow lucky enough to play them in the series……..

67. Flavor said, on October 13, 2012 at 8:26 pm

that Ichiro bomb just ruined Valverde later in this series. book it. Regardless of what happens from her on out in this game……

68. Bozo said, on October 13, 2012 at 8:28 pm

I can’t think of anything going on tomorrow. I guess I’ll just sit around and watch TV. I should be able to find something interesting on, don’t you think?
    I know I’ll probably miss something exciting going on outside, oh well, I need a relaxing day just vegging out. So watching something or other on the tube it is.

• Flavor said, on October 13, 2012 at 8:46 pm

skype-a-shot during the NIner game? I’m gonna be at a buddy’s house, I’ll have the laptop and the bottle. :)

• Bozo said, on October 13, 2012 at 8:54 pm

I’m thinking since the 9ers are playing NY, we might even get it on TV back here (crossed fingers). I’ll do a skype a belt with ya. Hell ya.

69. Flavor said, on October 13, 2012 at 8:35 pm

haha, this fucking dude makes Reggie Jackson look like Mike Benjamin……..

70. Flavor said, on October 13, 2012 at 8:37 pm

And I’m not sure if there’s a cooler, lower flyin’ cat than Raul Ibanez when he rounds the bases after one of his October bombs……

71. dirtnrocksnomo said, on October 13, 2012 at 8:45 pm

Should have had 25 Ws, he has been burned like that by Detroit’s BP all year. Oh, well he can motor boat Kate’s boobies and feel better.

• Flavor said, on October 13, 2012 at 8:48 pm

you motorboating son of a bitch, you old sailor you!

• Flavor said, on October 13, 2012 at 8:50 pm

when he finishes it off with “Is she still in the house?” and he looks around with that shit-eating grin, that solidified Vince Vaughan as one of the great comedians of our time, at least to me…….

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on October 13, 2012 at 9:12 pm

Baaahaha. Classic.

72. Flavor said, on October 13, 2012 at 8:54 pm

Seriously, I hope all of you are rooting for the Yankees. We can beat either team but the Yankees will go down in 5 and it will be spectacular theater that will end with a national fireworks of appreciation of our accomplishment……

73. twinfan1 said, on October 13, 2012 at 9:06 pm

The Yankees are the team I’d like to see but there would be some fun seeing Bochy and Leyland match wits. Verlander, BTW, is obviously a great pitcher but he does have a penchant for being *real* bad when he’s off .

74. willedav said, on October 13, 2012 at 9:49 pm

Sorry, but I can’t root for the Yankees, except maybe when they play Boston. Get em the f outta here, sooner the better. Swish cakes just f-ed up a catchable ball to allow Tigers to re take lead in the 12th, and now Jeter trips up trying to field a ball and comes out of the game with an injury to left foot. Go Tigers!

• twinfan1 said, on October 13, 2012 at 10:19 pm

I’d like to see the Yankees in the sense that I’d enjoy beating them more than any other team. Going all the way back to that 1960 series- there was no team even close to the Yanks that brought fans the joy when they were vanquished. The heyday of the Yanks back then was also a golden age for baseball. There were other reasons of course,but having the Yankees so dominant was a huge part of it- the dislike for the Yankees now is nothing close to what it was then. Beating them was almost akin to a club pro besting Tiger for the US Open in 2000…

75. snarkk said, on October 13, 2012 at 9:49 pm

I don’t know anything about Verlander. But, IF the Giants make it through and happened to be up against Detroit, my view always on a power guy is that if he gets out of his comfort zone, gets rattled or pissed, then he’s vulnerable. Latos got rattled, got pissed in that 6-run inning in Cincy, and lost his concentration. That’s what it took. So, fake bunt on him, step in, step out, hang a BA on him, do anything to take him out of rhythm, get him PO’d, even take one on the shoulder and glare at him…

• willedav said, on October 13, 2012 at 9:52 pm

hey tom, cal looked pretty good first half–I just switched over to TBS to watch Yanks-Detroit, and now Yanks down 6-4.

• snarkk said, on October 13, 2012 at 9:59 pm

I’ve been out with the Snarkettes all night until just got back. Mrs. Snarkk is outta town, so while the cat’s away, the mice will play. Gotta catch up on Cal…

76. snarkk said, on October 13, 2012 at 9:58 pm

BF, you’re right, these Yankees don’t look like much; of course I never watch them. If Jeter is out, I assume that’s not real good, and A-Rod looks like de-Peded, he’s a shell. I really have no interest in seeing Detroit, however, in the WS. Just have never had any feel for that team, one way or another. I really wanted to see the O’s in there. Saw a game there once at Camden Yards, O’s v. A’s, great yard, and I always thought highly of Brooks Robinson and Frank, too, of course. They were a well-coached and managed crew in the 60s and early 70s, then early ’80s before they fell off a cliff…

77. snarkk said, on October 13, 2012 at 10:20 pm

Jeter. Fractured ankle. Done for the season.
    Advantage: Tigers…

78. twinfan1 said, on October 13, 2012 at 11:07 pm

Even without Jeter, and maybe because of ( he’s awful in the field) the Yankees are a better team than the Cards, but not as good as the Reds, I don’t watch many of their complete games, when i watch I watch other teams, too. I usually look at parts of several.. As good as their hitting stats look, every player save Cano and Suzuki has “swing holes” you can ride a baby giraffe through. Pitch smart and it’s a cake walk,,

79. twinfan1 said, on October 13, 2012 at 11:09 pm

Night all.

80. zumiee said, on October 13, 2012 at 11:22 pm

We are left to ponder why BF has packets of baseball cards that he has never opened…..(grin)

• unca_chuck said, on October 13, 2012 at 11:33 pm

I was wondering that myself. I’m sure I mentiined my mom threw 3 shoeboxes full of my baseball cards from 1966-1975

81. unca_chuck said, on October 13, 2012 at 11:32 pm

Excellent post, Zumie. Funny, back in the day, players were ingrained into these rivalries as much as the fans, and they are somewhat now, but back in the day, if you were drafted, you spent 2-4 years in the minors, and had your 8-12 year career. So, you could spend upwards of 20+ years on the same team with the same rivals. But with all the player movement and many other circumstances, it isn’t what it used to be. The rivalries really do live in the hearts and souls of the fans. Say ‘1988 Cards’ and the Will Clark hard slide into 2nd followed by Ozzie Smith cheapshotting Clark in the back of the head springs to mind. Out of nowhere comes Candy Maldonado with his flying Superman punch/tackle of Ozzie. It almost made up for the sliding miss . . .

82. willedav said, on October 13, 2012 at 11:36 pm

test new thread

83. unca_chuck said, on October 13, 2012 at 11:41 pm

Jeter’s injury is getting more press than the Kennedy assassination.

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 496 other followers