Can the Cainer put an arrow in the heart of the birdies?

Posted in Uncategorized by eddacker on October 16, 2012

Game 2 of the NLCS was a hearty win for the home team. 7-1 looks a bit more dominate than a 6-4 win by StL. We have broken the home field slump. We are now 1 & 3 in PO games at phone park. If necessary one or maybe two wins at home gives us the league championships and on to the WS.

Umpires were lacking in the Cincy series. They have not been too bad in this one. The one run STL got last night was on some bad calls and a pitcher double – our specialty. Then, later in the game, a blown call kept Blanco in the game and he eventually scored.
[rant]
The umpires are not out there to be perfect or to make sure the game is played perfectly. That would be a goal. The umpires are out there to keep things as close to the rules as they can. The way ML ball is currently played, at such a high level and fast pace, it is tough to get every call correct. This is partly due to having humans on the field and the human part of the game that I love. We have the technology to use one umpire per game and he (or she?) wouldn’t have to be on the field. Would you want to see games played likke that? Or are you willing to suffer the slings and arrows of human error? As we all know these things can balance themselves out as they did last night. And which is why I am never comfortable when my team is getting all the breaks. [/rant]

Bochy has reported xrays on Scooter’s hip are negative. I hope he is able to get a decent night’s rest ’cause that baby is going to be sore. With the resources available he should miss no more than one game. With Arias and The Riot we have that game covered.

Matt Cain, come on down

Cain ended the year with a seven inning shutout of AZ and a no decision in LA. He was 16 & 5 w/era @ 2.79 (nl leader @ 2.53) slightly better than his 2010 season numbers. One number from last year? He did not give up HRs in 2011(9), but for the last three years he has been very consistent and very good.
Flash forward to now and in October he has pitched 3 games and not made it to the sixth inning once. In three games in October he has given up 4 HR and 4 BB with 15 H and 11 SO. In three games. His ERA is over 5. He won game 5 in Cincy. He is the horse and a gamer.

Which Cainer will we see in StL?

fuck the cards screams Matt Cain

Winning

About these ads

1. eddacker said, on October 16, 2012 at 2:58 am

BTW I quote macdog from last night:

Channeling my inner hatred? Tonight’s game did the trick.

I just finished a re-watch of last night’s game. I love this team.

2. denniszu said, on October 16, 2012 at 7:03 am

The 2nd Yankee/Tiger postseason game had an even more blown call, Girardi was thrown out of the game and at the post game discussion commented that we should use today’s advanced technology to not let these errors occur…..

I’m sure Joe has a point but he has more issues to deal with. Besides a lackluster team nearing elimination, he has to read that A-Rod was reported flirting with 2 chicks in game one while he sat the bench, Nick Swisher is mouthing out and getting down on Yankee Stadium fans who are throwing the team under the bus because they suck. and the stadium has been 5,000 below filled capacity…. gee I wonder why, you can fall asleep watching their post games.

Man, any Giants fan can wake up this morning with heart still pounding with pride and assurance that their team will not let them down no matter how many sports writers are still giving them low odds… Some people never learn from the results of 2010.

3. chipower9 said, on October 16, 2012 at 7:07 am

I think we’ll see the dominant Matt Cain. And if the Giant’s brain trust decides that Holliday gets a little “old school medicine” I am totally down with that!

Two things:

1) As I have mentioned numerous times, I grew up a Cards fan (born and raised in Oklahoma).
    2) I now HATE THE FUCKING CARDINALS!
    On the topic of “old school medicine” Bob Gibson was one of the best at administering it (dude could knock a guy off the plate like NOBODY’S BUSINESS). I hope Matt Cain can channel a little Bob Gibson for the sake of Matt FUCKING Holliday.

I heard Scutaro will get an MRI today. And while we have the bases covered (pun intended) with a prolonged injury, Scutaro has been so key for this team since his acquisition. I have confidence in The Riot and Arias, but it would hurt like hell to lose Marco.

Tigers with a 2-0 advantage. Game 3 tonight. I still am hoping for a Giant-YankMee WS!

4. chipower9 said, on October 16, 2012 at 7:17 am

edd – nice thread. Thanks. I am completely down with the human element. While I was coaching/managing baseball while my kids were growing up, I also ump’d a fair amount of games (bases and behind the dish). It was a tough and thankless job, but I really enjoyed it.

By and large, I am good with the limited replays. I like the fair/foul on HR balls, or to determine if the ball actually left the yard. And also fan interference (I don’t want some dumb-ass’s interference to lose a game for my team…ESPECIALLY in the post season.) I am not convinced with expanding it beyond this.

5. paulinasia said, on October 16, 2012 at 7:19 am

Saw only the early part of the game because I had to go to work, but have watched it again…. and again…. Scoot’s 4th inning hit was one of the most beautiful fuck-you hits in recent memory. Vogie’s dominance til the end (amazed watching the replays at the weak shit the Cards were “hitting” off him, pop ups, tiny grounders), raises the bar for the others starters, fucking finally…. No need to retaliate against Hooliday, just beat these fuckers into the ground. Giants have balls, but also have class. With Cain and Tim up next, and the bar raised for them to try to meet (and they do feed off of each other, no question), really looking forward to the road warriors going at it and bringing it home.

6. Flavor said, on October 16, 2012 at 7:20 am

last night felt like more than just one win.
    And I’m saying that even with Marco’s status still up in the air….
    Advantage>>>>>Us

7. chipower9 said, on October 16, 2012 at 7:21 am

On retaliation – I mentioned I would like to see Holliday get his due. I also saw Michael’s comment on it (best retaliation is to whip their asses). I’m down with that, too. The whole Scutaro thing just REALLY pissed me off, and my initial reaction was I wanted blood (for Holliday to get his ass drilled). But an old fashioned ASS WHOOPIN’ and sweeping them in their yard would do it, too!

8. willedav said, on October 16, 2012 at 7:24 am

Nah, let Holliday go til next year. Twin is right, kick their asses on the field and let em watch Giants celebrate, preferably in their own yard. Best revenge is scoreboard, and elimination for Cards.
    Loved Mac’s post last night, last one on the thread about Vogs idea of a * motivational speech*. Watching that guy should be motivation enough for the rest of the SPs—just gimme the ball and let’s play our game.

9. dirtnrocksnomo said, on October 16, 2012 at 7:49 am

Being so pleased with the split at home is a strange feeling but it illustrates SFs home struggles of late.

The media is really wrapped up with ‘retaliation’ and wanting that to be a story line more so than the players. That hasn’t been the Giants style under Bochy and I don’t think it will be all of a sudden. I don’t ever remember retaliation for a slide at 2b but hey whatever it has probably happened. The best retaliation is closing them out and moving on.

Voggelsong getting it done was the most encouraging thing for me. The Giants starting pitchers really feed on one another and hopefully this leads to some dominant starts.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on October 16, 2012 at 8:24 am

Easy to say now and I was too much of a pussy to blurt it out beforehand, also because I’m too much of a scaredy cat doomer, but it’s not really surprising that Vogelstrong was the one to germanically teutonically dominate. He has the look. He’s the one with the zombie stare something like two days before pitching. And his nostrils flare like a raging bull.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on October 16, 2012 at 8:42 am

I’m so impressed by Vogelsong. His story is really amazing to begin with and then to go out and dominate like that last night. Dude is nails.

10. Nipper said, on October 16, 2012 at 8:18 am

I’m tired of the stupid “retaliation” crap. It was done so lets forget it. The best revenge is playing well and beating the Cards on their home field.

11. gianthead said, on October 16, 2012 at 8:20 am

I turned to my 13-year old as Holliday’s cheap shot unfolded and said, “This just changed the entire series…”

I failed to report during Game 1 that Virginia’s Sunday laws disallwoed me to purchase the migthy Kahlua for Game 1 White Russians…and we of course lost. So you all must blame me. First stop yesterday was to the liquor store and the White Russians were flowing last night.

Since I began drinking them in the 9th Inning of Game 3, the Giants have yet to lose when I had at least one White Russian…is this a coincidence? Maybe, but I am not risking the wrath of the baseball gods.

Sorry Chi, the Tigers are going to take care of business….Giants are going to take care of business in 6 games. We are going to win 2 in St. Louis, Games 3 and 4 are ours.

Why Giants-Tigers??? I have that series at 14-1 odds:))))

12. PawlieKokonuts said, on October 16, 2012 at 8:21 am

I just love how all those fornicatious, copulative words to describe the Cards’ left fielder (I won’t dignify him by stooping to utter his name) take every part of speech possible. So, conversely, let me say, “Cain it caining up, you caining cainable cainistic Giants!”

13. Roundup said, on October 16, 2012 at 8:25 am

” I have that series at 14-1 odds:))))”

With your record, that’s the worst news I’ve heard yet.

• gianthead said, on October 16, 2012 at 8:36 am

But this is my year..my only regret was I was going to put some extra money on the series when the Giants were down 0-2 to the Reds and the series prices jumped to 35-1…

14. gianthead said, on October 16, 2012 at 8:35 am

The only time we retaliate against Holliday would be Game 6 if we were up 10-0 and he was up to bat in the 7th or 8th and we bring Mota in for some payback…

15. dirtnrocksnomo said, on October 16, 2012 at 8:39 am

Anyone else catch all the post game bustle as reporters jockeyed for interviews in front of the dugout? I can’t wait for the Amy G v Erin Andrews throw down, That’ll be hot.

• chipower9 said, on October 16, 2012 at 8:49 am

Oh hell, my money is ALL OVER Amy G!

• willedav said, on October 16, 2012 at 8:58 am

yeah, maybe mud wrestling or something. Really tho, they are both as useless as a 12th ump.

16. chipower9 said, on October 16, 2012 at 8:51 am

Okay…I get it on the retribution thing…and agree with the lot of you who basically say “let’s just whip their asses.” I got caught up in the passion of the moment…that just really pissed me off (and I have NEVER liked that sorry assed piece of shit who plays LF for the fucking redbirds).

I hope we get good news on Scoot, today. He has been so damned key to the team since his acquisition.

17. twinfan1 said, on October 16, 2012 at 8:54 am

On expanded replay: as soon as Tony Verna created the technology for CBS nearly 50 years ago, the day when it would be used to decide close and/or disputed plays became an iinevitably. It doesn’t matter what side of the issue one is on- it’s use will not only be implemented as now but it will expand. The human element is removed? Tell that to Gallaraga, who was denied a place in the history books or Joyce, who would gladly *pay* for a replay to reverse his call. Fact is, umpires and refs know thay miss calls and most would welcome the opportunity to have it made right, IMO. It beats the hell out of showing their mistake to millions of people without the recourse of getting it right. Fercrissakes, games with 12 year olds have it. Anyway- the time is coming.Verna, BTW, was one of the great sports producers and directors of his day. He’s retired and will turn 80 next year. He’s the dude who opened Pandora’s TV Box ;-)

18. twinfan1 said, on October 16, 2012 at 8:59 am

Pablo is already one of the hardest “taker outers” in baseball. I do think he might put in a little extra effort given the chance.

19. eddacker said, on October 16, 2012 at 8:59 am

I could not believe the way BB2Nite kept going on about what a dirty slide it was. Shilling, naturally, said as a pitcher he thought it was his job to retaliate for someone trying to hurt one of his team’s players. Kruk kept saying it was wrong and they hit at Holiday from every angle even showing other games where his slide was designed to hurt the opposing player. Kicking at guys with his spikes etc.
    Those media types sure love to stir up some emotion.
    [weather could cause chaos - tune in tonight for the story]

20. willedav said, on October 16, 2012 at 9:10 am

The whole thing about the sideline babes is that they add absolutely nothing whatsoever to any game…the whole reason for being there is just about them—their hair, their looks and them being allowed to talk to game hero or coach first right after the game. It’s about them promoting their own brand, as in “Follow ME on Twitter!”.
    Hell, the little girl in the ray lewis commercial (do you like my dress? what’s your favorite color?) asks more intelligent questions.

• ferrethead said, on October 16, 2012 at 12:38 pm

I LOVE that commercial – that little girl is so cute!

21. Bozo said, on October 16, 2012 at 9:14 am

Holliday is a punk. He says he should have started his cut block slide a step sooner. Yeah I guess starting a slide before the bag would have been better than after unless his intent was to hurt Scutaro. GH is right, if Mota pitches to that punk, he’s going down.

22. chipower9 said, on October 16, 2012 at 9:24 am

Vogel-TRON. I love this guy’s attitude…

• chipower9 said, on October 16, 2012 at 9:25 am

Shit. Not sure you will get the correct video. If you go to the site and look at videos, check out the one titled “See Buster’s Glove – Hit Buster’s Glove.”

23. chipower9 said, on October 16, 2012 at 9:43 am

I got home late last night…had the game recorded, but the damned recording ended in the 7th. Did not see the finish or the post-game stuff. Just watching Belt’s post-game…and the sounds of Tony Bennett filling the air. I LOVE THAT!

Nothing finer than being a San Francisco Giant fan!

24. snarkk said, on October 16, 2012 at 10:09 am

LaRussa is on KNBR semi-defending Holliday, but not very well…

25. snarkk said, on October 16, 2012 at 10:14 am

Some of Holliday’s previous “accidentally” late slides….

26. unca_chuck said, on October 16, 2012 at 10:23 am

DomiNANT people . . .

27. twinfan1 said, on October 16, 2012 at 10:33 am

I still think his demeanor after the play demonstrates his intent. Ferchrissakes, even Cousins showed some concern for Posey.

28. unca_chuck said, on October 16, 2012 at 10:35 am

Twin, I think if Panda takes out Holliday on a slide, he might juuuuuuust be a little bit past 2nd base . . .

Funny, the ESPN guys (Kruk especially) were all over the retaliation thing as a justifiable strategy. As in do it now.

The thing is, you DON’T want to do it now in the heat of the playoffs. Losing Cain (frexample), or anyone would be a ludicrous ‘strategy’ going forward. Mainly because you put the mojo in their court. Let the Cards listen to all the talk of their cheap shotting pussy jerk-off asshole Hollilday. The media is very good at hand-wringing around shit like this, and let it stew this off-day and through tomorrow. Stomp the Birds in their yard, and let it go. For now.

Baseball will be played next year. StL will be hurting in 2013 from us kicking their ass in the playoffs. Top it off with a 96 MPH rib-job to Holliday next year? Perfect.

Revenge is a dish best savored over time. Let it roil to perfection.

• twinfan1 said, on October 16, 2012 at 11:13 am

29. eddacker said, on October 16, 2012 at 10:35 am

does this mean Holiday will not be offered the left field job when we need someone so much?

30. snarkk said, on October 16, 2012 at 10:36 am

Jack Clark dissing the Giants in favor of the Cards…

• unca_chuck said, on October 16, 2012 at 10:43 am

He was right.

• snarkk said, on October 16, 2012 at 10:50 am

Yep, the Giants sucked while he was with them, but I think his tone was a little more throwing the team and fans under the bus than was necessary…

• unca_chuck said, on October 16, 2012 at 10:55 am

You kidding? Playing in SF during the 80s was like playing in a concrete toilet bowl. At least they put the grass back in for the 80s.

No fans, little excitement (except for those Dodger games he mentions), and the fans that were there (me included) giving him shit mercilessly.

• eddacker said, on October 16, 2012 at 11:13 am

Clark was a lightening rod. Love – Hate. and now?
        Lotsa love, is he shilling for the cards these days?

• chipower9 said, on October 16, 2012 at 12:07 pm

I agree (on the throwing the team/fans under the bus). Hey, he was “Jack the Ripper” for a reason, I suppose.

• unca_chuck said, on October 16, 2012 at 10:46 am

From 73 to 85 the Giants had one good season.

• willedav said, on October 16, 2012 at 11:08 am

Yeah, snarkk mentioned about the late Champ Summers that he was here in 82 and 83…surrounded by the likes of Johnny Rabb and guy Sularz. Me and all my buddies yelled “two outs Jack” at clark after he ran in the f-ing clubhouse a little early. Saw a lot of good baseball in those days, just not too often by Giants.

• unca_chuck said, on October 16, 2012 at 11:48 am

I don’t begrudge Clark much. He was here at the wrong time. 5 years earlier or later he would have been on some good teams.

• eddacker said, on October 16, 2012 at 10:57 am

Cardinals Nation?
      Mega Big Flavor Shady can we get this post deleted, it is obvious this snarkk guy is a troll
      Our hero, Jack Clark, dissing the team we all love?
      Fuck that!!

• snarkk said, on October 16, 2012 at 11:19 am

Ha ha, edd. Though he was an occasional bright spot in a bad Giants era, I was never, ever a big Jack Clark fan. He wasn’t a very smart hitter, pretty much a hacker. And, I think a bit of whiner, too. Even then. This vid doesn’t do anything to change my mind. He could certainly be glad to have been a Cardinal during some WS runs there, but he didn’t have to be so damn down on the Giants about it. We fans that lived through it know how bad they were…

• chipower9 said, on October 16, 2012 at 12:09 pm

Well said, snarkk. He could have showed a bit of class (if he had any).

31. unca_chuck said, on October 16, 2012 at 10:38 am

The thing I caught was not only did Holliday hit Scutaro, he tried to roll up his leg after the inital contact.

• snarkk said, on October 16, 2012 at 10:41 am

Giants need to win this series, they can take care of Holliday next year. If Scutaro is injured and out, Giants need to do some serious, clean taking out of the Cards’ IFers on potential DPs at second…

• eddacker said, on October 16, 2012 at 11:00 am

His body position and the results were the same, fuch you Giants

32. PawlieKokonuts said, on October 16, 2012 at 10:41 am

This Slidegate controversy has me wondering: under baseball’s rules, what option does an umpire have if you, say, stand up and come barreling (love that word!) into and send the second baseman flying? Or simply punch him in the face without provocation? My point is: in other sports your team can be penalized or a player can be yellow-carded or whatever. But in baseball I honestly don’t know. I really can’t recall an ump ever simply ejecting a player, except for a pitcher beaning or brushing back someone after an earlier warning. It’s not like Pete Rose got ejected after taking out Ray Fosse. So, are there any options under “unsportsmanlike conduct” or anything like that on the books? I expect a legal brief from Snarkk.

33. eddacker said, on October 16, 2012 at 10:45 am

I went for a long walk today, fresh aire, clear my mind, remember my roots.

I love the trail to Newstead Abby.
    and I thought about two things.
    How stupid fucking Hamm-ill-tone is.
    And how sweet it is returning to the big game.
    The feeling for me
    and I respect all of you who had ‘the feeling’ during the Cincy series
    the feeling for me is time
    it is only time until we put these birdies into the off season
    Detroit? Great to see the triple crown winner
    Great to see the MVP from 2011
    great to fucking beat the motown team
    Yankmees? hahahahahahaha
    When will new york realise the left coast is in sync?
    Go Giantes!
    fuck you Bozo

34. unca_chuck said, on October 16, 2012 at 10:45 am

Call the DP. Next is toss him from the game.

Did Albert Belle get tossed for his forearm shiver going to 2nd of that White Sox (I think) guy?

• unca_chuck said, on October 16, 2012 at 10:52 am

That was about the most blatant thing I’ve seen during a game that didn’t involve Pedro Martinez.

I don’t think Belle was tossed.

35. eddacker said, on October 16, 2012 at 11:06 am

Did you see the clips BB2nite showed with Hamm-ill-tone?
    He loves the going out of bounds for a hit.
    And we love seeing him boot a ball from Scooter
    Even with the home town fans, he will be mind confused in every at bat.
    we score we win

36. twinfan1 said, on October 16, 2012 at 11:20 am

It’s buried so far back, I’m repeating this- Chuck for unknown reasons, thought I was suggesting that Pablo would try to take out Holliday on a sllde. I never said that, of course.
    ” I didn’t say he’d take out Holliday, I’m not a fucking idiot. Left fielders kinda rarely have to worry about getting blown up turning a DP..That’s one df the problems with a play like Holliday made- he’s put a teammate in danger. I’m not advocating retaliation in thar way- just acknowledging the possibility.”
    What I originally said was that Pablo, a known hard “taker outer”, might put in a little extra effort. next time.

• eddacker said, on October 16, 2012 at 11:25 am

I understood that, what is the misunderstanding?
      Pablo slides hard sometimes, nothing to do with, as our resident ink ho said: slidegate.

• twinfan1 said, on October 16, 2012 at 11:28 am

Chuck didn’t. He said “Twin, I think if Panda takes out Holliday on a slide, he might juuuuuuust be a little bit past 2nd base . .”

• unca_chuck said, on October 16, 2012 at 11:37 am

It’s a joke, skippy.

Christ. Want me to diagram it for you?

• unca_chuck said, on October 16, 2012 at 11:39 am

• twinfan1 said, on October 16, 2012 at 11:45 am

It was a stupid joke suggesting I actually thought he’d go after Holliday. As you see below, actually I’ve decided it’s not a bad idea. Jokingly. of course.

• twinfan1 said, on October 16, 2012 at 12:06 pm

“Yes, Mike. I’m advocating Panda run to the LF and take out Holliday when running to 2nd on a grounder.”
        No, you suggested I thought so- which would be typcal of a serious post from you replying to me, not a joke.
        And get off your rsteroid high horse. They’re just (arguably) BETTER PEDs than those used by athletes since the first rock was thrown…

• unca_chuck said, on October 16, 2012 at 12:18 pm

So, you’re suggesting that you thought that I thought that you thought I’d send Panda into LF?

Got it, skippy.

37. twinfan1 said, on October 16, 2012 at 11:32 am

Pablo also is not neccesarily on boatd with ,uh, staid protocol. I can easily imagine him taking on some retaliation on his own.

38. snarkk said, on October 16, 2012 at 11:36 am

La Russa on KNBR: “Scutaro should’ve just taken the out. You have to know the runner at first. You’re not going to turn it, so get out of there.” He’s saying Holliday slid “late” by accident. Scutaro barely missed getting the out at first, it was bang bang, he got off a great throw even though Holliday body blocked him. LaRussa proving again and again that unless you’re a homeless dog, he’s quite often a Dbag…

• chipower9 said, on October 16, 2012 at 12:15 pm

“unless you’re a homeless dog, he’s quite often a Dbag…”

Love it!

Hey! Tony L! You’re a FUCKING D-Bag!

39. twinfan1 said, on October 16, 2012 at 11:42 am

Scutaro could have run away into mid-left field, Holliday was still going after him. So maybe the inventive Panda solution *is* a good. one. Hey, taking out the left fielder is just good, clean, tough baseball.

40. unca_chuck said, on October 16, 2012 at 11:45 am

Fuck Tony Steroids LaRussa. Steroids? What are steroids? Why are all my players bending over and getting needled in their asses? Hyuk. Must be some kind of new vitamin regimen. Hey Sandy. Check this out. Well, don’t, Sandy. Oh, and you might want to quit your job in the league office. It would look pretty bad that the team you GM’ed is the poster team for rampant steroid use when we are now finally cracking down on it.

If anyone should be banned from the hall of fame, LaRussa and Alderson would be on my list.

• snarkk said, on October 16, 2012 at 11:51 am

Bingo. LaRussa presided over the Bash Bros. A’s, the fountainhead for ‘roid use in MLB. Then over Mac the Andro Man in St. Louis. Nah, Tony, the most detailed, organized, anal manager in the game, didn’t know nuttin’. With two teams. And, he will get voted into the HOF on a golden carriage, but Bonds will be dissed to “teach him a lesson”?…

• twinfan1 said, on October 16, 2012 at 12:19 pm

Using just one prominent example of a performance enhancing tactic that is considered humorous, not some kind of moral sin, is throwing a spitball or similarly doctored baseball. And that has far more influence on performance than any steroid as it also has more influence on the opponent’s performance than steroid use.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on October 16, 2012 at 12:50 pm

I’ve always said that. And none of that kept Gaylord Perry out of the HOF.

41. twinfan1 said, on October 16, 2012 at 11:53 am

Execs, trainers, and managers from every team turned their heads the other way about PED use if they weren’t actively encouraging it.LaRussa is a jerk but many many others were just as “guilty” in the PED era..

• unca_chuck said, on October 16, 2012 at 12:17 pm

Then every exec from guys with known users should be on the non-approved list. Release the list and be done with it. To pin this on soleley the players is the most head-in-the-sand response in the history of baseball.

Fuck Selig. He’s the biggest prevaricator in the whole deal.

• twinfan1 said, on October 16, 2012 at 12:25 pm

My position has been to release the 200+ names of the users who have been shielded, then pardon everybody, and if they want to rid baseball of the problem, it’s real fucking simple from that point forward- one offense, out one year. Two, lifetime.
        A more sane approach is to regulate PEDs, not ban them, IMO.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on October 16, 2012 at 12:53 pm

I compare it to the real estate bubble. Everyone, everyone, looked the other way when it benefited them. Buyers, sellers, owners, regulators, bankers. Everyone loved it all when it made buckets of money for them. Same with steroids. Everyone looked the other way when it “worked’ — that includes fans, players, owners, officials, broadcasters, advertisers, AND all-of-a-sudden high-minded writers. Everybody likes to get religion when it is convenient.

• snarkk said, on October 16, 2012 at 1:00 pm

I like your premise on this, but I don’t think MLB can legally release those names without consent. My understanding is the union agreed to the testing only under condition the names of violators could not be released. The union and players would never agree to release the names, IMO. They have no incentive to do it, and every incentive not to do it from a reputation and PR and endorsements perspective. As to regulating them, not banning, I think you’ll still have problems. Regulate means how and when used and which kind, right? So, somebody’s going to try to beat that regulatory regime, too. That might be harder to police than an outright ban on all where the only question is did you or didn’t you use; not when, how much and which kind…

42. unca_chuck said, on October 16, 2012 at 12:34 pm

If I’m Panda, I try the Albert Belle-approved method of a forearm to the chin.

• unca_chuck said, on October 16, 2012 at 12:40 pm

Love the announcer in the background. “that’s an OK play. That’s not a dirty play . . .”

• PawlieKokonuts said, on October 16, 2012 at 12:58 pm

Whew! And to my point above, I’d bet there was no in-game penalty WHATSOEVER!!!! This may make baseball unique. What’s it take? Firearms? Wait. Of course not. The NRA is too powerful for that.

• chipower9 said, on October 16, 2012 at 2:07 pm

That’s fucking awesome! Love it!

43. ferrethead said, on October 16, 2012 at 12:43 pm

Considering that the team doing the retaliating i the one that usually gets punished, I’d rather not take the chance. That stuff has been known to backfire, and inspire the other team. Holliday will get his due – I mean, he may need to slide into second again at some point, and it would be a real shame if someone were to step on his hand or apply an especially hard tag…just sayin’.

• twinfan1 said, on October 16, 2012 at 12:53 pm

Didn’t see your post. Once you get meatloaf down, we’ll be an unbeatable team.

• ferrethead said, on October 16, 2012 at 1:38 pm

Oh no, I didn’t do the cooking – my job was the eating part. How can I get the meatloaf down if you won’t share your recipe? I’ve even come around to cottage cheese as an ingredient, though I don’t remember in which dish your mom used it.

44. eddacker said, on October 16, 2012 at 12:45 pm

You think it is weird to see a freaking freak out on the diamond?
    I am watching the world cup qualifiers. England v Poland. Apparently a few English guys remember the way Poland laid over to the Nazis. White on White crime, hehe
    but the violence and the crowds have over taken the game.

• eddacker said, on October 16, 2012 at 12:50 pm

game cancelled, WEATHER!
      of course, replay is in doubt FIFA rules say 24 hours
      fat chance

• snarkk said, on October 16, 2012 at 1:03 pm

When they start consistently red carding soccer players for faking injury and flopping from fouls, that will be the day I watch “soccer” in games other than the World Cup final…

• eddacker said, on October 16, 2012 at 1:55 pm

me, too, with rugby I am finding the same thing, local teams are not my cup of tea, but the national England team and International competition? cannot get enough.

• chipower9 said, on October 16, 2012 at 2:09 pm

Cal (University of California) has a rugby team that probably competes (and wins) against any team on the planet.

45. twinfan1 said, on October 16, 2012 at 12:47 pm

Most agree that retaliation is not the best idea- it can backfire, and we have both the high ground and the positive impetus from the incident now. I’m sure Bochy has already cautioned the guys about not taking it on themselves to exact revenge.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on October 16, 2012 at 1:00 pm

Nipper quietly said something last night against retaliation. I tend to agree. Don’t be pushed around, make the point, make it again if need be, but the point is to win, not be distracted, not get Cain tossed, not get off focus. WIN. #beatSTL

• eddacker said, on October 16, 2012 at 1:57 pm

You, and Nipper? that van headed to StL via rochester?
        tell me more.

46. unca_chuck said, on October 16, 2012 at 12:50 pm

Regulate PEDs. Right. Green-lighting PEDs means what for college programs? Or high school programs? Since parents out there are so conscienscious about when and how to start getting their kids on the PED program, we’ll have kids starting up in, ohhh, 6th grade?

Perfect.

• eddacker said, on October 16, 2012 at 12:54 pm

And the problem is?
      If my pre-teen child doesn’t have a big chance getting over than your kid.
      fuck you. This is a youth society. May the best exploitive family win.

• unca_chuck said, on October 16, 2012 at 12:59 pm

Exactly. Pretty soon, mothers will be taking steriod injections to pump up their unborn fetusses. We’ll have little Ahhhnulds crawling around.

• twinfan1 said, on October 16, 2012 at 1:05 pm

Regulating PEDs on a professional level is not “green lighting” them. Bulletin: they are here to stay. Even the draconian punsihment I noted won’t change that. Using an analogy I’ve used before- the people who write computer viruses work as hard or harder as the anti-virus people. Soon there will simply be PEDs more difficult to detect. Regulation won’t stop all non-approved use but it will at least stop the fucking ridiculous punishment meted out for “PEDs” ingested from legal over the counter medications.

• unca_chuck said, on October 16, 2012 at 1:11 pm

Heroin is here to stay. Coke, crack, meth, LSD, whatever. Does that mean we whould regulate those as well? Once they are ‘regulated’ they are de facto green lighted. Which means college and high school players will do what they can to get access. Which means illegal use will rise.

So, we should regulate hackers? Sure, some get jobs stopping what they created, but most of the time, that is a bad strategy.

• twinfan1 said, on October 16, 2012 at 1:19 pm

That’s a ridicilous analogy.

• twinfan1 said, on October 16, 2012 at 1:28 pm

BTW:
        “Canada, Denmark, England, Germany, the Netherlands, Spain and Switzerland have all demonstrated the feasibility and efficacy of programs that provide pharmaceutical heroin to people who have been addicted to illegal heroin. Crime and arrests drop, addicts’ lives improve and taxpayers benefit. The great challenge is to expand such programs to include many more people and a greater diversity of drugs. “

• eddacker said, on October 16, 2012 at 2:03 pm

Funny youse Guys should mention this on the day the 6 year study of this has been published.

this is the way it is in Europe.

• snarkk said, on October 16, 2012 at 3:06 pm

I am totally for decriminalization of pot under all circumstances and willing to entertain it with other drugs. The drug war is nothing but a lifetime employment act for the DEA, cops, prosecutors, and more importantly, prison guards. And, it is turning Mexico into an armed camp of rival drug organizations spilling over into the US. How we didn’t learn anything from Prohibition is beyond me…

47. unca_chuck said, on October 16, 2012 at 12:51 pm

Ferrett, along those lines is throwing the ball to 1st sidearm. Or even submarine the throw. If Holliday’s head happens to be in the way, oooops.

48. eddacker said, on October 16, 2012 at 12:52 pm

hehe
    Twin said ‘positive impetus ‘

49. Bozo said, on October 16, 2012 at 1:07 pm

If you go to MLB and watch the play, they give you the FOX, version, the Jon Miller and Kruk version and then the Cards bullshit version. he Cards bullshit broadcasters said things like “Good clean play”, “That’s Holliday’s job”, “he touched the bag”, “his arms weren’t up”. Also you can watch the punk basically roll Scutaro off of him, look at him like he’s going to spit on him, not say a fucking word and trot back to the dugout. In my mind the intent was clearly to hurt.

50. snarkk said, on October 16, 2012 at 1:08 pm

Giants aren’t going to retaliate now. They’re smarter than that. That’s a no win deal; where now they have the upper hand and moral baseball high ground. They can do some payback next year on Holliday, though I doubt it will be much of anything. Focus on winning this series. Obviously, if the Cards do something else out of line this series, respond to it immediately as needed. As Dusty used to say, “We don’t start nothin’, but we don’t take nothin’, either”…

51. twinfan1 said, on October 16, 2012 at 1:14 pm

The outrage over the exploiting of children by greedy and manipulative parents is hilarious. Regulating steroid use by professionals would have zero effect on that already disgraceful practice.

• unca_chuck said, on October 16, 2012 at 1:37 pm

Wow. You can put yourself into millions of parents’ heads.

Good for you, skippy.

• twinfan1 said, on October 16, 2012 at 1:56 pm

Whatever. I have no doubt you think I think we should reward drug pushers and Holliday and you think they should be beheaded.

• eddacker said, on October 16, 2012 at 2:07 pm

I know I do.
        of course I am in advertising.

52. unca_chuck said, on October 16, 2012 at 1:15 pm

Oh, I’m 99% sure the first time the Giants face Holliday next year, they’ll hit him. Location will be the thing. Earhole the motherfucker, and the message will be clear. The Giants CAN’T do anything now without facing immediate retribution. They showed the umps talking after the play. Meaning they were concluding that retaliation would be dealt with. Meaning the Cards got away with going after Scutaro. Tomorrow nght’s game won’t get the immediate warnings to the benches, but you know the umps will be on a short leash when they see anything resmbling retribution. Even a hard slid on our part.

• snarkk said, on October 16, 2012 at 1:32 pm

That’s why I agree with Kruk that the current system of warnings, etc. is garbage. The team that starts something has an advantage. The wronged team can’t retaliate right away and even the score, thus moving on with the game, because they’ve been warned after the perpetrator team instigates things. It’s like in the NFL where the refs always nail the second guy slugging back with the penalty, not the guy that started the fracas…

• unca_chuck said, on October 16, 2012 at 1:45 pm

I didn’t hear Kruk (John Kruk or Mike Krukow?) say that, but it IS a joke.

J Kruk was the one calling for retribution from one of our pitchers.

• snarkk said, on October 16, 2012 at 1:46 pm

Krukow. He’s been saying that for years…

53. twinfan1 said, on October 16, 2012 at 1:44 pm

Bochy’s teams don’t seem to have ever been much for retalialiation. Even when that Houston pitcher, forget his name, threw at Bonds FOUR times in one AB I don’t think we ever retaliated. And since most any kind could involve serious injury, I agree that we shouldn’t.

54. Alleykat said, on October 16, 2012 at 1:51 pm

Yeah,Holliday needs to take a good Heater in the ribs next ST.And it better be a young kid who throws cheese,though not sure if we have one in the minors.No BS Zito chucking 60mph.curveball at Prince Fielder after their bush bowling pin incident at homeplate after a win.

55. eddacker said, on October 16, 2012 at 2:12 pm

That shot in the ribs would be a win in G3
    and then let the SFGs fans flood the interwaves with the message:
    birds be goin’ down
    You are a fucked team.
    Fuck you Birdies

56. eddacker said, on October 16, 2012 at 2:14 pm

early game tomorrow
    I am stoked
    Gmen pitchers?
    Cards lose their stroke

57. eddacker said, on October 16, 2012 at 2:29 pm

I cannot imagine what is is like in Stl for the SFGs
    Another day on the road?
    wanting to get to the WS?
    wishing they were home with their families?
    Banging out another win? I think so . . .
    Go Giants!

58. Flavor said, on October 16, 2012 at 2:41 pm

For the record I don’t think Holiday was trying to injure Scoots. And I disagree on retaliation, I think it should come as soon as possible with Mota on the mound. Fuck next year, payment for that should be now. And if Scoots I’d done for the year, it’s almost mandatory that they do it

• snarkk said, on October 16, 2012 at 3:01 pm

In that scenario, I’m with you. It would be bullshit that they get to take down one of our best players for the series, and there’s no immediate repercussion. Mota would have to do it and get suspended for the team. Or, somebody takes out their SS or 2d baseman on a double play, a “clean” take out, of course…

• unca_chuck said, on October 16, 2012 at 3:06 pm

The problem is we lose Mota. Yeah, no big deal. However, you’ve just lit a fire under their collective ass, and you’ve put the fans totally into the game. You do it in their house, and the fans will go nuts.

I wouldn’t do anything. I don’ think Bochy will, either. A shot to go hard into 2nd? Sure. But no beanballs.

59. chipower9 said, on October 16, 2012 at 2:42 pm

I agree if the Cards LFer gets nailed, it will be next year (much like Fat Ass Fielder got plunked by Zito the following year – first time we faced them after his/the Brewers’ “all fall down” shenanigans). But I don’t want it to be a 70 MPH Zito fastball…I want it coming from Cainer or Vogel-TRON with “a little zip on it.” Earhole? FUCK YEAH!!!

60. twinfan1 said, on October 16, 2012 at 3:03 pm

I just don’t want to see anybody seriously hurt and I don’t want us doing anyrhing to fire the other guys up, I thought Marco’s hit and Holliday’s error so perfect..but heck, if Holliday falls down the stairs and breaks his fucking neck as punishment ftom those baseball Gods, I won’r send flowers..

61. unca_chuck said, on October 16, 2012 at 3:07 pm

Better yet, Panda comes to the plate with a full head of steam to obliterate Molina.

62. chipower9 said, on October 16, 2012 at 3:08 pm

Here is the latest. It appears that Scoot will play in game 3.

This is EXCELLENT fucking news!

63. twinfan1 said, on October 16, 2012 at 3:20 pm

As the second debate nears, I do want ro reiterate how incredible I find it that the perceived style advantage that gave Romney the “win” in the first one has taken precedence over the fact that he lied for 90 minutes.But I will add that if Barack let his wife handle the campaigning and debating, he’d lead 90-10…

64. Salty said, on October 16, 2012 at 4:04 pm

For the record, I’m against retaliating.
    Our LF getting some notoriety..

• blade3colorado said, on October 16, 2012 at 4:15 pm

Salty, that is frickin’ weird . . . I was reading the NY Times and had just finished the “Politics” section, when I went to the “Sports” section and read the article you linked to . . . Great article and it’s absolutely accurate insofar as the lift that Blanco has provided since Melky left. What’s really ironic is that Blanco is very reminiscent – at least to me – of what Vungo provided in 2010. His profile is similar to Vungo too – A utility player, age 28, that finally gets a chance to play a significant role. I’m very happy for him. Also, big, big props to Bozo who “turned us on” to what Blanco was capable of. Yeah, he didn’t do much in the 1st half, but he sure has been nails in the 2nd half of the season and playoffs (defense and offense).

• Salty said, on October 16, 2012 at 4:44 pm

Agree. He’s had some key hits and played flawless D. Important since Cinn and Stl only have RH starters.

• twinfan1 said, on October 16, 2012 at 4:58 pm

Blanco is much closer to the traditional bunt and slap lead off hitter than the 2010 Torres or Pagan this year. Andres actually led the team in extra hits in 2010 with 67 and Pagan had 61 this year. Let’s hope Gregor actually improves rather than decline as Vungo did because signing Pagan is hardly a given.

• blade3colorado said, on October 16, 2012 at 5:17 pm

“Blanco is very reminiscent – at least to me – of what Vungo provided in 2010.”

Sorry, I should have checked in with you first.

• twinfan1 said, on October 16, 2012 at 5:31 pm

I just stated my opinion. I guess I need to point that out to you everytime.But offensively it’s a fact, not just opinion, that Blanco is not at all like Torresi ii 2010, . As Mr. Clinton said-it’s math… on that level at least. BTW, I might have been the first here to point out Blanco’s career OBP and back him as a guy to make the roster.

• Bozo said, on October 16, 2012 at 9:38 pm

Actually twin, you were the first one here to tell me I’d be watching Blanco in Fresno. Being the first on his OBP may be correct, you mentioned it in May when you were talking about The Book or something but Craig listed his complete stats on a thread post back in March (not sure if it had his prior OBP on it, but I think it did).

But hey, you wanna be first on anything Blanco? You got it.

• ChiPower said, on October 16, 2012 at 10:00 pm

Good stuff…thanks for sharing, Salt. Nice to see someone of Blanco’s stature get some positive pub…

65. zumiee said, on October 16, 2012 at 4:30 pm

“shank him with a shiv”

You see, I always thought it was shiv him with a shank. We learn new things everyday!

• blade3colorado said, on October 16, 2012 at 4:38 pm

I wish I could say that I knew this automatically zumiee, but I had to Google it, and even then, I misidentified it as “skive,” which is to “split or cut.” :-)

66. PawlieKokonuts said, on October 16, 2012 at 5:23 pm

Seriously weighing a meetup with Dennis Z. for a Finnerty’s (in Manhattan) game watch tomorrow. Finnerty’s! And if my next book has a chapter on it, it will be brilliant marketing. Eh?

67. Sportdude said, on October 16, 2012 at 5:37 pm

We have already learned Boch doesn’t retaliate, unless a Zito curve 5 feet behind the head in spring training counts!
    Chi power..if that was awesome ( Belle hitting Vina), then Holliday’s hit must have been too, only less so, since Belle was even more blatant about his take out hit.

68. unca_chuck said, on October 16, 2012 at 5:41 pm

Skive him with a skeeve is a whole different thing. At least when I was back in the joint.

What I found hysterical is that when Romney was ‘forceful and on the attack’ and smiling through his entire performance, Fox painted it (as soon as they were done jizzing themselves) as an ass kicking by Romney. And it was. Regardless of the fact that he was lying through his teeth. When Biden comes out on the attack, they (seriously) paint him as a doddering old fool with early-stage dementia. You know, the kind where you tell too much truth.

• twinfan1 said, on October 16, 2012 at 5:55 pm

I don’t doubt for a second that some really do think that forceful and stylistic lying constitute an ass kicking. The polls since the debate prove that..

69. twinfan1 said, on October 16, 2012 at 5:46 pm

Zito actually plunked Fielder in a soft spot, of which he has plenty, and no more than that was warranted.IMO.

70. Bozo said, on October 16, 2012 at 5:47 pm

I don’t normally think of violence as a good way to settle something but IMO Holliday has to go down. I truly believe the intent of the body block was to end Suctaro’s career. It was the type of cheap shot, that if it was the NFL, every team would put a bullseye on the guy. Give Mota the game three start, let him hit him high. If Holliday is able to take his base, switch Belt and Panda. Mota or whoever is pitching just keeps throwing to first, every time Holliday dives back in, have Panda do the Reggie Smith lean on Steve Sax thing. Do it for an hour if need be, the asshole will start a fight at some point. Fuck it if the fans get pissed, maybe they’ll throw so much shit on the field that the Giants will win by forfeit.
    If MLB isn’t going to suspend the creep, the Giants need to take care of it. Again, IMO Holliday MUST go down!

71. Sportdude said, on October 16, 2012 at 5:50 pm

Just sayin…If I was hired to turn around a division of a company, or a school, or a team, how many years do i get to say..”but boss, it was really bad when I got here”?
    Maybe Romney should have said “I’m sure it was a spontaneous attack by protesters, when there was none? Or apologized for having the American flag on our embassy in Cairo, and just put up an Al queda flag. Oh wait that already happened.

Can we stick to baseball?

• unca_chuck said, on October 16, 2012 at 5:53 pm

You talk politics and then say stick to baseball? How about you listen to yourself.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on October 16, 2012 at 6:21 pm

As I’ve noted so eloquently before, baseball is a fish that benefits from an ocean of “politics.” That aside, I don’t mind corraling my stray thoughts into one shared by similar horses (i.e., baseball enthusiasts). That’s a half-lie, though, because my whole take on things is filled with asides — asides sprinkled with art, religion, politics, history, music, language, et alia ad nauseam. Got a problem with that? It’s no fuckn worse than all those fuckn “erectile dysfunction” ads interrupting our game viewing. Those ads aren’t related to baseball one iota! Ah, but indeed they are. In a free-market, capitalist society (albeit not purely capitalist, but regulated; very little regulated, though, much like a cartel) those “ED” ads underwrite the networks and underwrite the corporate interests and welfare of MLB and the salaries of the players, which affects what happens on the field. Which is . . . POLITICS. (Or civics, if you prefer, a word seldom used, because civic discourse and amity have largely disappeared in what used to be a commonwealth of common good.)

72. blade3colorado said, on October 16, 2012 at 6:08 pm

1st question – Romney SO . . . Double to the wall by Obama. :-)

73. Salty said, on October 16, 2012 at 6:24 pm

OBAMA is smoking! Hope this continues. What a difference.

• blade3colorado said, on October 16, 2012 at 6:32 pm

Yeah, I loved it when he called him a lying cocksucker . . . OK, OK, he said, “That’s not true.”

Just wait though . . . I feel a MOFO and cocksucker coming on. :-)

• PawlieKokonuts said, on October 16, 2012 at 6:43 pm

really? my 45-second sample had waaaaaaaaaaay too many words; too professorial

74. PawlieKokonuts said, on October 16, 2012 at 6:45 pm

G’night. Gotta go to bed early if — a big if — I get up early to drive to NYC to go to a GIANTS joint for the game…..

75. Flavor said, on October 16, 2012 at 6:47 pm

Really hoping the Yankees start to make a series of it. Otherwise, Detroit is set up to go Verlander in 1/4/7 and that’s not good for us (or any team)

• wswin said, on October 16, 2012 at 8:17 pm

3 days rest twice within 7 days, wouldn’t think so.

76. zumiee said, on October 16, 2012 at 7:44 pm

Henry Schulman:

UPDATE, 6:00 p.m. PDT: Just a quick update after talking to Matt Scutaro for the first time. He was in great spirits and thinks he can play Wednesday.

Asked what he would do if Matt Holliday tried to talk to him before the game, Scutaro said, “I might kick his ass.”

He was joking. He said he felt like a train hit him and tore his hip apart, and he’s surprised he feels as good as he does today.

In fact, he ran a few sprints and took batting practice, hitting a couple of home runs.

Scutaro did not sound real angry with Holliday but did say after watching the replay that the hit was late. Any later, he said, “and he would have hit the shortstop.

Asked if he expects one of his pitchers to retaliate, he said, “I don’t know. You’ll have to ask them. I just work here,” but added the best retaliation would be a nine-inning shutout and a Giants win.

77. Flavor said, on October 16, 2012 at 8:16 pm

Zumie– love that response from Scoots, that’s great…….
    Verlander is just a man but right now he’s impersonating something bigger than that. And I get that he’s beatable and the Yankees are busy doing their best impression of the Boston Red Sox, but this guy is a monster right now. And he gets stronger as the game goes on. And if we advance we are going to likely see him pitch 1/4/7.
    That’s scary…….

78. twinfan1 said, on October 16, 2012 at 8:24 pm

I haven’r read other comments aout it so if this is repeittive, sorry…
    Romney made two huge errors: getting caught, not by an accusation from Obama, but by the moderator and video evidence, of flat out lying about what the President about Libya and terrorism
    Second was being so incredibly stupid as to hand the 47 percent issue to Obama by making reference to it in his closing remarks. Obama had to feel he’d been give an early Christmas present.

79. eddacker said, on October 16, 2012 at 8:25 pm

it is a good bet yanks go down 4-0
    no wonder you wanted them in the WS

• Flavor said, on October 16, 2012 at 8:31 pm

well, part of that was because I thought it would be great theater (as well as an easier opponent) but the Yankee team is in no danger of producing great theater. Jeter sucked the life out of them, as did A-Rod’s constant, ongoing annoying disruption. Not to mention that Cano has forgotten how to hit a baseball.
      Detroit is locked and loaded, I fear them.

80. eddacker said, on October 16, 2012 at 8:29 pm

fucking Cano 0 for 29
    and people think the gmen have probs

• Flavor said, on October 16, 2012 at 8:32 pm

it’s stats like that when you can really start to appreciate the insanity of Yankee Nation. He’s one of the top 4 hitters in the American League and he’s 0-29. You can’t write scripts that are less believable…….

81. eddacker said, on October 16, 2012 at 8:34 pm

Detroit is feeling torture, SF style
    my guess is Tigers win. Verlander went 8 shutout innings
    Detroit has white towels to wave
    SF has orange rally rags
    sounds like a colorful win for the Giants
    we score we win

82. eddacker said, on October 16, 2012 at 8:39 pm

I was waiting through several games looking for Coke to make a difference. Until he faces us I like him as a reliever.

83. ewisco said, on October 16, 2012 at 8:54 pm

Detroit is going to sit around and get stale.

84. twinfan1 said, on October 16, 2012 at 8:56 pm

Well, while I wanted to play the Yankees for different reasons than Craig (maybe), I’d be quite happy being in WS again if we were facing. any AL team. And having the two best managers in the game in it would be cool. As to Verlander, he *is* a monster right now but he can be quite bad as well, I believe it was 6 outings giving up 5 or more this year. We beat him once, we win the series.IMO. And yes, I’m presuming we’re in the series.And them.

• Flavor said, on October 16, 2012 at 9:01 pm

Verlander’s just the tip of the iceberg. They have starting pitchers capable of outstanding performances up and down that bullpen

• Flavor said, on October 16, 2012 at 9:03 pm

Shoulda said “roster” not “bullpen”. Very tired. Catch you all tomorrow for what looks like another stupid fucking day game….

• twinfan1 said, on October 16, 2012 at 9:23 pm

I only addressed Verlander brecause he was who you addressed . I can talk about my opinion about the rest of their staff at another time.

85. eddacker said, on October 16, 2012 at 9:05 pm

I keep thinking back to that post who’s your favorite other teams. Who wrote that? Anyway at the time I admitted that the cubbies are my second favorite team. In the American League I have always favored the Tigers. Especially this year when they have both Cabrera and Fielder. Of course Verlander is one freak and an outstanding pitcher,
    I understand why big flavor wanted to see the Yanks in the World Series they look like a dead team. Detroit meanwhile barely made it into the playoffs. And now they are coming alive scary
    not really sure why I keep thinking back to that topic of who’s your second favorite team but I think I finally answered that question the cubbies are really my second favorite team and if I had a team in the American League it was the Tigers. Of course over the last few years I have loved the Tampa bay rays because they’ve been putting pressure on the evil Empire & the Bo Sox. You have to love that team playing in the East against those powerhouses and doing well. I think David Price is going to be a fantastic player for several years to come and I think the rays have a great coach and apparently, although I don’t know, they have a great front office.
    Go Giants!

86. tedspe said, on October 16, 2012 at 9:11 pm

I’ve been thinking a lot about Syria lately.
    Not the country. She’s a co-worker

• eddacker said, on October 16, 2012 at 9:16 pm

Ah HA! I always knew you had a weakness for the girl with the unusual name.

• tedspe said, on October 16, 2012 at 9:29 pm

Busted. You’re right. I once dated an Indonesian girl for a couple of months just because I liked saying, like, “Hey, Ajisaka, you wanna watch re-runs of Mr. Ed or M*A*S*H?”
        Granted though–she *was* fine

87. eddacker said, on October 16, 2012 at 9:15 pm

So, after Cain dominates the cards (per Chi) who we got? Bum and Voggy already pitched. That leaves Zito and TL or the new guy, PTBNL.
    and that game should be BIG.

• tedspe said, on October 16, 2012 at 9:24 pm

Lincecum. No doubt

• eddacker said, on October 16, 2012 at 9:29 pm

It’s a day game. Will you & Syria be taking in the drama?

• tedspe said, on October 16, 2012 at 9:35 pm

Well, we’ll, at least, be e-mailing each other when drama erupts.
        So to speak

• eddacker said, on October 16, 2012 at 9:43 pm

speaking for myself, I love the emailed times. It makes me so nervous. And excit_edd.
        I think I have a disorder that allows me to be myself, not to my advantage, but very freeing.
        Go Giants!

• tedspe said, on October 16, 2012 at 10:01 pm

excit-edd?
        Oh you kid

• chipower9 said, on October 16, 2012 at 10:13 pm

edd – exactly when did I say Cain would dominate the Cards? I sure as hell don’t remember that one. I haven’t really made a comment about tomorrow’s game. I do believe Cain is due, but sure as hell don’t remember saying he would dominate.

• chipower9 said, on October 16, 2012 at 10:15 pm

And I think it will be Tim in game 4.

• eddacker said, on October 16, 2012 at 10:16 pm

7am hangtown time, mate:
        I think we’ll see the dominate Matt Cain. And if the Giant’s brain trust decides that Holliday gets a little “old school medicine” I am totally down with that!
        there is no reason to waffel you freaking ace!

88. eddacker said, on October 16, 2012 at 9:59 pm

As much as I love San Francisco, here it is the Teesside; Newcastle. We have the city of London which, of course, is supposed to match New York and San Francisco, but I live in the middle of the country and I love both places.
    I am here in the quiet of 5 AM listening to the gentle rain of this green and glorious island.

And yet my heart and soul is in California. For some strange reasons I love Jerry Brown. I love Sacramento in the great Central Valley.
    The 49 mile drive; the coast going North.
    I am one of those people who think California should be divided at Monterey and give Southern California its own freakin state. If they want to support the Dodgers?

These games with the St. Louis @home could be just as dangerous as any game we have played this year.

So the question remains will Cain show up and dominate(per Chi)? Or will we lose a game three and have no one to pitch game four?
    Which doesn’t address the problem of: after this game and the next game does the freak pitch?

• chipower9 said, on October 16, 2012 at 10:17 pm

I really want to know where you are getting that I said Cain would dominate. It wasn’t me…think you have me confused with someone else, edd.

• eddacker said, on October 16, 2012 at 10:26 pm

Hey, mate, it is not like you gave up the balance and grace, keep in keeping on!

chipower9 said, on October 16, 2012 at 7:07 am

And I am totally down with that.

• snarkk said, on October 16, 2012 at 10:24 pm

Do people really still bring coals to Newcastle?… ;)

• eddacker said, on October 16, 2012 at 10:31 pm

ACTUALLY, since the Reagan era,
        Thatcher here, trickle down has been a failed policy.
        But the powers that be are still touting it.
        Newcastle, now, has enjoyed the benefits of “regeneration” and is called the ‘TeeSide’.
        Over the years I have gone there and seen Yoko, and other artists making coal a second thought.

89. zumiee said, on October 16, 2012 at 10:04 pm

TF, I love this quote from Obama tonight. It just says it so well. Obama brought his “A game” tonight.
    “Governor Romney doesn’t have a five point plan. He has a one point plan, and that plan is to make sure that folks at the top play by a different set of rules. That’s been his philosophy in the private sector, that’s been his philosophy as governor, that’s been his philosophy as a presidential candidate. You can make a lot of money and pay lower tax rates than someone who makes less. You can ship jobs overseas and get tax breaks for it. You can invest in a company, bankrupt it, lay off the workers, strip away their pensions, and you still make money. That’s exactly the philosophy that we have seen in place for the last decade. That’s what’s been squeezing middle class families, and we have fought back for four years to get out of that mess. The last thing we need to do is to go back to the very same policies that got us there.”

• eddacker said, on October 16, 2012 at 10:20 pm

I guess, like baseball, I will hear about this tomorrow.
      From here I do not see any way Barak does not get another 4 years.
      Like the Daily show says: 2016 The road to Jeb Bush”

• snarkk said, on October 16, 2012 at 10:22 pm

I am never surprised by the idiocy of much of America. One thing and one thing only is needed to educate the populace about Mitt Romney, but many just won’t get it, or refuse to get it. He is a private equity investor. His firm, Bain Capital, is a private equity firm. These types of firms exist as corporate raiders, vultures. They take out huge bank and/or other debt to buy a company that’s usually underperforming, they consolidate (get rid of) some assets that are not efficient, pretty up the balance sheet for a while, and then sell off the shell of the company to pay off the debt and still make a tidy profit over their actual equity investment. And, oh yeah, they FIRE lots of employees to improve the P&L. Private equity plays don’t work, don’t turn a profit, by HIRING oodles of people and running the business for years and years. It’s the exact opposite. Buy cheap with high debt, slash, burn, then sell the shell. So, when he says he created jobs, somebody needs to point out that the very method that his type of business uses to make money demands that he KILL jobs for the “middle class” that he’s tirelessly working so hard to help…

• zumiee said, on October 16, 2012 at 10:27 pm

Well said.
        And here’s a really funny website. Cracked me up. Betcha it will make y’all laugh.

• snarkk said, on October 16, 2012 at 10:45 pm

Liked it, Zum…

90. chipower9 said, on October 16, 2012 at 10:23 pm

Okay – I think I see where edd says I suggested Cain will dominate that Cards. My first post I said I think we’ll see the dominant Cain. That was more a hope and wish, and because I think he IS DUE. He has really not had his “A” stuff for a few games…and again, I just feel he is due. I do HOPE he dominates, but I don’t have a really strong sense he will (that because he has struggled recently).

Okay Flappers, I’m out. Gonna get up really early tomorrow and be at work by 6 – no lunch and gonna bail a couple of hours early so I can get home to take in the game.

Let’s Go Giants!

• eddacker said, on October 16, 2012 at 10:36 pm

Oh! How we laughed.
      This game is crucial, Cain wins or Giants go home.

• zumiee said, on October 16, 2012 at 10:57 pm

Cain wins AND the Giants go home. That’s the point! (grin)

• eddacker said, on October 16, 2012 at 10:42 pm

I am just jealous hwy 49 is my home
      the UK is great, but it ain’t my foothills

91. snarkk said, on October 16, 2012 at 10:44 pm

Romney said tonite that Holliday’s slide was a little aggressive, but totally legal and would help create jobs… ;)

92. eddacker said, on October 16, 2012 at 10:46 pm

God preserve us.

93. eddacker said, on October 16, 2012 at 11:19 pm

only 15 hours till tonight’s game. If ever there was a moment in Giants history tonight is the night there is no reason to think that tonight losing would be okay I think pushing through is the only way to go.
    It certainly looks like the Tigers are the team we are going to play.
    And there is no doubt that we will take the Cardinals the birdies to get to the World Series.
    I and a you great and eight at and him and him and him and him and him and him and him and pressed him

94. twinfan1 said, on October 16, 2012 at 11:32 pm

Obama was excelleht and the exchange about the attack was as clear a distinction as you’ll see between a CIC and a salesman.And if one caught the earlier interview with Hillary Clinton on it, the administration and State Department turned what the Republicans thought was a huge winner for Romney into a disaster for him..And the next debate is centered on foreign policy.Romney will be finished then. It should be a 6-8 point margin on election day.

95. twinfan1 said, on October 16, 2012 at 11:34 pm

New Post.

96. eddacker said, on October 16, 2012 at 11:36 pm

Virtual shot, bozo?
    Tomorrow’s game is big!
    win or lose, headed to a WS matchup with the Tigers.
    Fuck Yeah!

97. eddacker said, on October 16, 2012 at 11:41 pm

per ESPN: Holiday gets one through the legs
    Holiday is an ass

98. eddacker said, on October 17, 2012 at 3:06 am

Final Word:
    Go Gigantes!

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 494 other followers