Location, Location, Location

Posted in Uncategorized by pawliekokonuts on October 18, 2012

So Dennis Z., a denizen of this e-den, emails me at 2:35pm Oct 16: “Paulie, I’m going to Finnerty’s for tomorrow’s afternoon game… to be with that Bay Area mood crowd will heighten my screaming!” And sis-boom-bah just like that I drive 3-plus hours to his beautiful house in the hills 70 miles from New York and we drive to Finnerty’s to watch Game 3 of the 2012 NLCS.

I first heard about Finnerty’s during the World Series 2010 trophy tour. I met Dennis when the trophy came to Cooperstown, on May 7, 2011.

We had a grand time yesterday, driving through flickering sunlight, spying the Manhattan skyline in the distance like Oz as seen from Nutley, New Jersey, and cheering, clapping, and chanting in an exuberant sea of black and orange partisans, expatriates from a Left Coast nation.

But we lost. Which dampened my spirits like so much rain pelting the tarps covering the infield.

After a 3hr 28min rain delay, Dennis and I headed back into exurbia and the hinterland of our anxious hope, only to catch the last Sandovalian out, not even a whimper, in his living room.

I don’t know where to go with all this since details will be kept minimal with the hope this experience will become a full-fledged chapter in a forthcoming Giants’ fandom book.

I’ll pose some questions, if I may approach the bench, your honors:

– Where did you watch the game or listen to it?

– If you can’t watch at home or at the real game in person, where do you watch?

– Are all Giants fans as young as those we saw as Finnerty’s?

– Are Giants fans in NYC all that *hot* especially the Asian gals?

– What do with do with Pence (whose ABs elicited screams Reverend, Preacher Man, and other signifiers, but not with the result of any screaming single, double, triples, homers, or even outs)?

– Why did we not get a big bomb from SOMEONE?

– Mr. Belt, how could you TAKE that called third-strike pitch?

– What now, my loves?

About these ads

1. snarkk said, on October 18, 2012 at 7:53 pm

Face it, except for game #2, the Cards have outclassed the Giants on the field, out pitched us, and kicked our ass. We can still salvage it tomorrow, we just need to get out ahead early. Bochy has to have the shortest hook in the history of MLB, and every pitcher except Mota has to be ready. Put in Nady, put in Arias, mix this fucker up…

• zumie said, on October 18, 2012 at 7:54 pm

• blade3colorado said, on October 18, 2012 at 7:59 pm

Read my 7:57 post . . . My sentiments exactly. The Giants haven’t shown squat in this series, besides game 2.

• snarkk said, on October 18, 2012 at 8:04 pm

I don’t see any 7:57, Blade…

• blade3colorado said, on October 18, 2012 at 8:08 pm

It’s a response to Chi’s 7:47 post and before his 7:50 post.

• chipower9 said, on October 18, 2012 at 8:13 pm

Yeah, I suppose it wasn’t dooming…dooming or not, if FUCKING SUCKS!

2. snarkk said, on October 18, 2012 at 8:00 pm

I didn’t like the starting pitcher rotations in this series from Game 1. It just didn’t feel right from the start. I didn’t like Tim pitching today and I sure as hell don’t like Zito starting tomorrow in an elimination game. As far as I’m concerned, Ztio is not even a starter tomorrow. He’s a placeholder until the bullpen is ready. If the middle of the order doesn’t get their collective bats out of their ass, it won’t matter anyway…

3. eddacker said, on October 18, 2012 at 8:01 pm

It might be 4am, but the cards are playing like my Giants

4. chipower9 said, on October 18, 2012 at 8:01 pm

Lynn going for the Cards tomorrow. That’s a plus.

• Alleykat said, on October 18, 2012 at 8:12 pm

That’s not Fred Lynn Vs Atlee Hammaker is it Chi?
      For a second I was getting worried…

• chipower9 said, on October 18, 2012 at 8:14 pm

Atlee Got-Hammered…

5. eddacker said, on October 18, 2012 at 8:04 pm

Huff?
    a swing and a miss

6. snarkk said, on October 18, 2012 at 8:06 pm

The Giants will win the game tomorrow, Zito or not…

• blade3colorado said, on October 18, 2012 at 8:12 pm

Umm . . . Just wondering what evidence you’ve seen to date, that makes you say that????? As Chi said, I am not trying to be a doomer, but the Giants have shown zip, zero, nada, a big donut of jackshit, insofar as indicating to me that they are capable of keeping up with this team.

• snarkk said, on October 18, 2012 at 8:17 pm

It’s a hunch. This team has been resilient with its back up against the wall. Nothing more than that. I think Bochy will shake up the lineup some more, and Zito starting is nothing but a minor detail. He will be pulled immediately if there’s trouble, so it’s really on the offense. So far, Cards have clearly outpitched the Giants staff, which is what we were worried about. Bum essentially done, Tim lost. It’s hard to win a series with that going on, plus horrible offense in 3 of 4 so far. They’re all hitting for shit, Bochy needs to shake it up, stop the choking of bat handles into sawdust…

• blade3colorado said, on October 18, 2012 at 8:22 pm

The bats have been shit. But let’s give credit where credit is due – Pagan and Scutaro are doing their parts, both offensively and defensively. I’ve seen numerous posts saying NO ONE is hitting. Untrue. They both are hitting (.353 for Pagan and .438 Scutaro last time I checked).

• snarkk said, on October 18, 2012 at 8:33 pm

You’re right Blade. The two top guys have been getting on, as they’ve done the last half of the season. After that, Pfffft. Posey’s not doing much, but they’ve been basically pitching around him the whole series, and that is smart. Their starters have outpitched ours, no question about it…

7. chipower9 said, on October 18, 2012 at 8:16 pm

I agree with snarkk. No evidence…just a feeling.

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor???

• blade3colorado said, on October 18, 2012 at 8:17 pm

OK, I’m in a foul mood, so I better shut up. Who knows? The Giants may wake up tomorrow. Weirder shit has happened on this frickin’ planet.

8. WilcoJoe said, on October 18, 2012 at 8:17 pm

We score (eight) we (might) win

9. chipower9 said, on October 18, 2012 at 8:17 pm

Here we go….fucking 9th inning rally. Cards won’t know what the fuck hit them!

10. zumiee said, on October 18, 2012 at 8:20 pm

The 49ers are winning UGLY, but they’re winning.

• chipower9 said, on October 18, 2012 at 8:21 pm

They all look the same in the W-L columns…

• zumiee said, on October 18, 2012 at 8:22 pm

Yep- we’re not worried about “style points” at this point.

11. chipower9 said, on October 18, 2012 at 8:22 pm

Here we go…rally time! Scoot Scoot Scutaro!!!

12. chipower9 said, on October 18, 2012 at 8:24 pm

Pablo!

13. WilcoJoe said, on October 18, 2012 at 8:24 pm

Thats a start!

14. eddacker said, on October 18, 2012 at 8:26 pm

It’s about time

• blade3colorado said, on October 18, 2012 at 8:28 pm

Dollar short and a day late.

15. chipower9 said, on October 18, 2012 at 8:26 pm

I hate that gay-assed little fake mohawk haircut that a lot of the Cards (esp. their pitchers) are rocking. Queer mother fuckers.

16. chipower9 said, on October 18, 2012 at 8:28 pm

Maybe they can build on those last few runs tomorrow.

Hey Cardinals – FUCK YOU, YOU FUCKING FUCKS!

17. tedspe said, on October 18, 2012 at 8:29 pm

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

18. chipower9 said, on October 18, 2012 at 8:30 pm

Niners win.

• tedspe said, on October 18, 2012 at 8:31 pm

Thanks for that, chi

19. blade3colorado said, on October 18, 2012 at 8:31 pm

I’m hunting down Ferret if I don’t hear at least one more Woo Hoo before our season is over.
    Nite all . . . :-)

20. snarkk said, on October 18, 2012 at 8:34 pm

That was just a brutal game. Adios, Flappers…

21. SanDawg said, on October 18, 2012 at 8:36 pm

As crappy as this series is going, if we can somehow pull a win out of our ass tomorrow and then have Vogy and Cain at ATT I’d like our chances.
    It’s another legacy start for Zeets tomorrow!

• Flavor said, on October 18, 2012 at 8:45 pm

Legacy start– yes.
      And it’s the perfect way to end or extend the year. Pretty much every SP pitcher (except Vogelsong) has sucked dick this post season. How Zito does is only significant to tomorrow’s game. Because if he fails, we probably lose and he’ll be in the same boat as the other 4 shitty starters who have shit their way through the last 6 weeks of the season….

22. twinfan1 said, on October 18, 2012 at 8:37 pm

Haven’t caught up on all the comments. Very disappointed in how Tim performed and he was lucky he didn’t give up 10.But hey, absolutely no better drama and no better shot at some real redemprion than Zito going tomorrow.

• tedspe said, on October 18, 2012 at 8:39 pm

Redemption. From the Prince of Darkness
      You know what? It’s just crazy enough to happen.

23. Flavor said, on October 18, 2012 at 8:39 pm

The pitching is the least of our worries. Our offense is worthless again. But we won 3 in a row when we looked dead in the water and Bailey was tossing a no-no against us.
    Then Pawlie texted me.
    And then we won 3 in a row on the road.
    At this point, you ratchet down some of your expectations. I do not want to see the Cardinals celebrate on their field with all their fuck-off fans getting to partake in the celebration.
    Win tomorrow and bring it back to SF. Go from there….

• tedspe said, on October 18, 2012 at 8:40 pm

Well, this is fucking obvious, isn’t it?
      Pawlie needs to text you at just–the–right–time

24. Fugazi said, on October 18, 2012 at 8:39 pm

Larry Baer on channel 2. He’s holding the company line

25. unca_chuck said, on October 18, 2012 at 8:41 pm

Well, at least we didn’t waste opportunities like yesterday. Just like last week, one at a time. Get the game tomorrow ad the rest will follow.

26. Bozo said, on October 18, 2012 at 8:42 pm

Well that game did not help with my feeling towards the town of saint louis, their team or their fans, But on a good note, they didn’t surpass my hate for selig the sellout or the other bud, weiser!
    That Sucked!

27. tedspe said, on October 18, 2012 at 8:42 pm

• tedspe said, on October 18, 2012 at 8:42 pm

Wrong sport, but…

• tedspe said, on October 18, 2012 at 8:48 pm

God. I never realized. If you shut your eyes and just listen, it sounds just like Edward G. Robinson

28. Fugazi said, on October 18, 2012 at 8:52 pm

Later gang……..

29. willedav said, on October 18, 2012 at 8:53 pm

Bochy has gambled with Tim all season. I think he really likes him and wants him to do well. At some point he got the msg that Lincecum was more comfortable without posey catching him, so he accomodated him and made excuses publicly. I’m sure it hurt him to put him in the pen and not start him vs. Reds, but it worked out when he did well coming in from the pen…with Posey catching him, interestingly enough.
    Bochy probably didn’t feel he would lose anything offensively with Hector the hacker in there vs. Belt (tho I disagree with that and always have), and wanted Tim to be as comfortable as possible. So that’s what he went with, accomodating Lincecum once again in an effort to get a good start out of him when SF really needed one.
    Unlike vs. Cincy, none of this worked out. Bochy did all he could for him, and Lincecum couldn’t get it back together, a pattern of failure that has repeated itself all season. Giants aren’t done yet, but this throws the whole rotation another monkey wrench.

• James said, on October 18, 2012 at 10:00 pm

WillieD, Sanchez catching has as much to do with Bochy’s old school perception that Hector is going to “give a better AB” than Belt as it does with Lincecum’s “preference.” See the quote in defense of playing Hunter Pence, yet another gratuitous put down of Belt.

• snarkk said, on October 18, 2012 at 10:04 pm

Agreed. Bochy would rather seen Hector take a swinging strike 3 off his ass than Belt take a walk, or get called out on a K by an ump (like yesterday) on a ball that was badly called a strike. I think that is close to the truth of it…

• willedav said, on October 18, 2012 at 10:23 pm

True, and I agree with what snarkk said. And I’ve said all along that it has to bug Posey. If Lincecum pitched half way decent is one thing, but when he’s the shits, like he has been most of the season it doesn’t matter one whit who is behind the plate. To me he should have zero leverage; the team is just better with belt at 1b and posey behind the plate, even vs. LHP.

• twinfan1 said, on October 18, 2012 at 11:02 pm

We have very little chance of ever finding out truth of rhe Lincecum/Posey deal unless Timmy squeals after he leaves. I’ve said since the beginning of the season that Belt was mishandled but if Bochy was stupid enough to think Hector was a better hittet than Belt, Brandon would have had his playing time diminish as the season progressed, not increase. Buster made a telling and I think intentional barb today when he said he’d *heard” about Tim’s improvement or increased confidence, whatever the fuck it was. It was like he was discussing a St. Louis.pitcher. Whatever is going on, Belt vs, Sanchez is not the issue at all, IMO.

30. Macdog said, on October 18, 2012 at 9:19 pm

It looks grim, there’s no way around it. But, coming back from 3-1 is not impossible. Last time it happened was Red Sox over the Indians in ’07, and in the NLCS the Marlins over the Cubs in ’03. And the Braves did it to the Cards back in ’96, so there’s a precedent for choking away a lead like that as far as St. Lou is concerned. The Giants still have at least one more game to play, and that’s more than 27 other teams can say, including those New York Yankees.

I would hope that after tonight there’s no way in hell Sanchez is back at catcher, even if it is Zito.

31. twinfan1 said, on October 18, 2012 at 9:23 pm

Lose 8-3 and all facets of the game are cause for worry. But not panic. Panic is out of snacks. Night all.

32. snarkk said, on October 18, 2012 at 10:43 pm

Where the hell is Nady. Give him a start and get a coupla early ABs. He could run into one or hit a couple of doubles. At this point, why not?…

33. unca_chuck said, on October 18, 2012 at 10:52 pm

New thread posted. Got some shit to deal wit in the morn, so you get thelate night edition.

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 486 other followers