Location, Location, Location
So Dennis Z., a denizen of this e-den, emails me at 2:35pm Oct 16: “Paulie, I’m going to Finnerty’s for tomorrow’s afternoon game… to be with that Bay Area mood crowd will heighten my screaming!” And sis-boom-bah just like that I drive 3-plus hours to his beautiful house in the hills 70 miles from New York and we drive to Finnerty’s to watch Game 3 of the 2012 NLCS.
I first heard about Finnerty’s during the World Series 2010 trophy tour. I met Dennis when the trophy came to Cooperstown, on May 7, 2011.
We had a grand time yesterday, driving through flickering sunlight, spying the Manhattan skyline in the distance like Oz as seen from Nutley, New Jersey, and cheering, clapping, and chanting in an exuberant sea of black and orange partisans, expatriates from a Left Coast nation.
But we lost. Which dampened my spirits like so much rain pelting the tarps covering the infield.
After a 3hr 28min rain delay, Dennis and I headed back into exurbia and the hinterland of our anxious hope, only to catch the last Sandovalian out, not even a whimper, in his living room.
I don’t know where to go with all this since details will be kept minimal with the hope this experience will become a full-fledged chapter in a forthcoming Giants’ fandom book.
I’ll pose some questions, if I may approach the bench, your honors:
– Where did you watch the game or listen to it?
– If you can’t watch at home or at the real game in person, where do you watch?
– Are all Giants fans as young as those we saw as Finnerty’s?
– Are Giants fans in NYC all that *hot* especially the Asian gals?
– What do with do with Pence (whose ABs elicited screams Reverend, Preacher Man, and other signifiers, but not with the result of any screaming single, double, triples, homers, or even outs)?
– Why did we not get a big bomb from SOMEONE?
– Mr. Belt, how could you TAKE that called third-strike pitch?
– What now, my loves?