What’s Gonna Happen to Alex Smith?

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on December 20, 2012

There’s not enough *Alex Smith* talk out there these days, certainly not at ninersforever.com :) :) :)  so I thought I’d write about it, too.

What I sorta know: According to what I’ve read and heard on the radio, if the Niners cut Smith before April 1st 2013, they owe him a 1 million dollar buy out. I think it’s a buy out. If  he’s on the roster his 7.5 million dollar salary for 2013 kicks in and I think the following 2014 deal for about the same amount also vests (though I’m not totally sure about 2014).

The thinking out there is that the Niners would let the base salary kick in so that they could trade him for a draft pick or two….

What I don’t know: how would that effect the salary cap? My understanding is that a big percentage of his newly locked in base salary would count against the cap. Chuck said last night that it would only be a million and I defer to him in principle but it still doesn’t sound right to me. The *cap $ against* rules are complicated and I seem to remember hearing about guys getting traded yet their salaries, or a portion of them, still counted against the cap. If so, that would be a huge deterrent to the Niners doing this. Cap room is sacred and certainly not worth taking a hit just to get a 2nd round pick (or whatever Smith is worth). But I confess to not knowing the cap rules in football well enough to do anything other than throw it out there for debate (and hopefully, clarification from someone).

What I suspect: Regardless of how your opinion of how it came about that Smith got replaced by Kap, I don’t think the Niners dislike Smith. By all accounts, he’s an outstanding person of integrity and there has to be ongoing gratitude for how close he took them to the super bowl last year. I just don’t see the Niners holding Smith hostage for the right deal and then just casting him away without getting him to sign off on the trade. I know they wouldn’t HAVE to but it would be the right thing to do after the screw-job he endured this year. Plus, don’t forget about the guys in the locker room. They’ll have an opinion on this, too. And if Smith gets traded to the Jets after getting summarily benched in the 2012 season while he was playing at an elite level how do you think that’s going to go over in the locker room? “Man, they bench him for playing great and then they banish him to Siberia, too? That’s fu*ked up…”

Ann Killion wrote something this morning about all of this and ended it with some sort of nonsensical idea of Smith starting the final game vs Arizona to *audition* for the Cardinals. Huh? Arizona has seen him play a billion times. They wouldn’t need an *audition* to sway their feelings. If they want Smith they already know why the want him. Plus. we need to win that game regardless of what happens in Seattle this Sunday. A loss could influence their playoff seeding. And I have great confidence in Smith to win the game but you don’t rest your starting QB in a game you need to win right before the playoffs start.

Since this whole soap opera started I’ve always felt that the final chapter hasn’t been written yet for Smith in San Francisco. I figured Kap would get injured and that Smith would come back to lead them to a super bowl win because that’s just how a story like this should end–I really hope the final chapter isn’t the Niners acting like a vindictive girlfriend and selling off Smith like a piece of meat for a draft pick they don’t really need anyway.

Just release him, shake hands and thank him for his time served and let him move on with his life where ever he chooses to go. If nothing else, he’s earned AT LEAST that…..

About these ads

1. dirtnrocksnomo said, on December 20, 2012 at 7:31 am

Outright releasing him would be the right thing to do but why miss the chance to screw Smith over again? JH certainly seems to relish humiliating him. I’m just a casual fan and really have only ever followed the 49ers and the way all of this went down left me with a sour taste and not really enjoying the season. Should I just cheer for the team because they’re winning? Probably but fans are irrational sometimes I guess.

Smith should try to go to the Vikings. They’ve got Peterson for the running game and Ponder sucks. He would bring balance to their offense.

2. willedav said, on December 20, 2012 at 7:35 am

I have to believe AZ, whom the Niners face twice each year and whom they lost to with f-ing red skelton as their QB a year ago, would be the last place SF lets Smith go to. And the draft pick(s) are going to come in handy.
    Besides finding a capable back up to replace Smith, one of the issues with top teams is finding enough $$$ to keep everyone happy. Players go where the money is, and it is not inconceivable SF loses a good player, esp on defense line or secondary that way in near future. I don’t think you can ever have enough skilled running backs or wide receivers either, due to injuries.
    Snarkk yesterday was talking about decline of NBA skill level (and watchability)—last night, as with most nights, fewer than half the teams that played put up 100 points, and 5 of them (11 games total couldn’t score more than 86. I know GS lost, but 131-127 is more like the old Spurs of George Gervin or Nuggets coached by Doug Moe that I used to love to watch so much. These guys, and the Ws right along with them, would have 86 by 3rd Q, and looked good doing it too.

3. unca_chuck said, on December 20, 2012 at 9:26 am

I wouldn’t say the Warrioirs looked good. They missed about half of their free throws in the 4th quarter (all I saw), but they did storm back and erase a 9 point King lead (and took a shoirt-lived 3 point lead) in about 45 seconds. Once Curry fouled out though, they faded. I didn’t see any of the game, but they sure didn’t try to get inside at all in the 4th.

Cutting Smith outright, or working with him on a deal that he would agree to amounts to the same thing. If the Vikes show interest, then they talk to Alex and see if he’s amenable. If they can’t work something out with him, they cut him loose before his 2013 salary kicks in.

4. unca_chuck said, on December 20, 2012 at 9:27 am

Willie, if Alex hits the open market, I think AZ makes a BIG push to sign Alex. Which is another reason why I think the Niners work out a trade with someone else.

5. Alleykat said, on December 20, 2012 at 9:33 am

Like I mentioned on Chuck’s blog…Alex could be a fit with KC.They suck with both Cassel and Quinn.They have a run game,decent WR’s,decent O-line.Get a DC and their D could improve.
    And Alex’s wife is from the midwest I believe.Could be a fit.

6. dirtnrocksnomo said, on December 20, 2012 at 9:35 am

If SF moves Smith somewhere he doesn’t want to be can’t he just refuse to report? I don’t see how SF has any leverage once the season ends.

• unca_chuck said, on December 20, 2012 at 10:04 am

Smith is in year one of a 3 year deal. He gets traded, he goes . . .

7. twinfan1 said, on December 20, 2012 at 9:54 am

QBs probably have a longer shelf life than any players except keeckers. Smith could have 10 years left and a lot of what he’s been through will be assets. He’s probably a better OC than Roman right now. He’ll be fine.There are several teams where he could land- Arizona, KC, Jets,Eagles are mentioned most often I think the Niners will be looking for a veteran back up for Kap now-ironically it could be a guy Smith replaces next year- Sanchez, Cassel…hard to believe the 49ers go with just Tolzien. There’s even been talk of T-Blow.

8. unca_chuck said, on December 20, 2012 at 10:02 am

Well, sure Smith can refuse to report. Everyone ever traded can do that. He’d be losing out on the $26 mill owed him, but he doesn’t need the money. But the point is he still wants to play. And start. I think the Browns are a good landing spot for him if the Niners can work that out.

You’d think the front office would try to do a deal that favors Smith due to what went down here, but it ain’t like the Niners didn’t make him wealthy beyond his wildest dreams. They certainly threw him under the bus about 15 times. Either that or they cut him loose and he goes to AZ.

9. chipower9 said, on December 20, 2012 at 10:02 am

I am not sure what the Niners will do. I do know that whatever they do (release him outright or trade him for picks) it will be done with the interest of the team being foremost.

Regarding Smith’s salary and the cap, here is a breakdown.

Smith signed a three-year 24 million contract. There was no signing bonus (signing bonuses, by the way, are protracted over the life of the contract – but that does not apply here). The guaranteed money in Smith’s contract for 2012 is: base salary of 5 mil, and a 3 mil roster bonus. One mil of his second year salary is also guaranteed. His second year base salary of 7.5 is fully guaranteed ONLY if Smith remains on the Niner’s roster on April 1, 2013.

Regarding their responsibility for money in a trade, the Niners would only be on the hook for the 1 mil that is guaranteed for 2013. So no, there is no huge salary hit for the Niners if they do trade him.

I feel bad for Smith, but on the flip-side, I truly think Harbaugh went with Kaep because he felt that he gives them the best chance to win. Harbaugh is very competitive…he would not do something vindictive (punish Smith)…his goal is to WIN.

Also, it was apparent in the offseason (3 year, 24 mil deal non-withstanding) that the Niners were looking to upgrade at QB. They traded-up to draft Kaepernick, and they wooed Manning. The handwriting has been on the wall for some time.

Arizona, KC, and Minnesota have all been mentioned as possibilities for Smith. I said some time ago that I see the Jets as a viable option, too. I don’t see the Jets hanging-on to Tebow next year, and Sanchez…well, he sucks. So I do see the Jets as a viable possibility for Alex. The dude will get his chance somewhere…the question is where.

And regarding a back-up if they trade Smith? I’m not sure how many of you saw Scott Tolzien play in Wisconsin, but the kid can play. The Niners didn’t just pick him up (he was originally drafted by San Diego) for shits and giggles. If Smith goes (and he will), Tolzien will be the number 2 QB.

• twinfan1 said, on December 20, 2012 at 10:22 am

Chi is right, no one has to pick up his contract.if he’s traded…
      Of course Jimbo thought Kap gave them the better chance- but as I’ve said and Maicco says in his chat with Florio, it wasn’t about Chicago, NO, NE-it was about the playoffs. So we’ll see. Hell, if KIap returned punts he’d be “upgrading” a Super Bowl QB.
      Tolzien would be a fine back up for a vet QB, not for another youngster.The Niners will loook for vet back up. If you’re a true fan, pray that the T-Blow talk is just talk.

10. unca_chuck said, on December 20, 2012 at 10:13 am

I thnk the cap hit is $2 mill based on the remaining 2012 roster (not signing) bonus. I’ve seen about 5 different reports on how this contract was worked out. It’s kinda all over the place.

Yeah, i don’t think they Niners look too hard at getting a vet QB. And if they do, he’ll be the 3rd stringer. Matt Cassel? Sure.

• chipower9 said, on December 20, 2012 at 11:14 am

My understanding is that the roster bonuses are not spread across the life of the contract the way signing bonuses are. If true, he got the full 3 mil this year, so the hit next year would be the 1 mil guaranteed. Regardless, I think they should just keep Smith next year. WTF…it is not like 7.5 mil is that huge a hit. If something happens to Kaep you have a fully viable vet QB to step in. And Alex does not strike me as the kind of guy who will rock the boat.

11. unca_chuck said, on December 20, 2012 at 10:24 am

Did I say the Brows are where Smith ends up? They are a good young team. Brandon Weeden is a work in progress, and Smith is YOUNGER than Weeden, for God’s sake.

12. dirtnrocksnomo said, on December 20, 2012 at 10:35 am

Killion’s idea of putting Smith in so he can qualify for the passer rating title is ridiculous too. If I was Smith I would refuse to play unless Kaepernick is hurt. Why should he jeopardize his health so JH can sooth his conscience? I also don’t see how keeping him to back up is possible at this point. He’s being a good soldier through all of this but I would be surprised to see him so compliant once the season ends. Hell, If I was him I would charter my own flight for after each PO game and get out as soon as the final whistle.

• twinfan1 said, on December 20, 2012 at 10:59 am

The better reason for getting him some snaps is that he could still win the QB rating title. It’s very close, but he needs 7 attempts to qualify.It’s the least Jimbo could do for him.
      Wonder who’s going to caddy for Jim at the ATT this year? “Uh, I got a dental appointment”
      “Rakin’ leaves that weekend{”
      “Mother-In-Law might visit”
      “Back might act up”…
      and that’s just his FAMILY..

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on December 20, 2012 at 11:08 am

I just don’t see why Smith would give a crap about the QB rating title at this point.

• twinfan1 said, on December 20, 2012 at 11:31 am

Even though a high QB rating became irrelevant in Bay Area Blogdom once Alex had one, it’s still an accomplishment of note. In fact it’s, as SI.COM notes “a deadly accurate indicator of team success”. Last 3 winners have beeen Rodgers, Brady, Brees, BTW Jimbo may not give him the chance, of course. It would look even worse if we failed in the postseason with the QB rating winner holding a clipboard.

• chipower9 said, on December 20, 2012 at 11:15 am

Well, that’s all fine and good Dirt, except he is under contract for the next two years. If the Niners choose to keep him, he really has no choice. He could “ask” for a trade, but the Niners control the situation through 2014.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on December 20, 2012 at 11:25 am

Or he could not report. Players do it every year. Barring a major injury to Kaepernick the rest of the year I highly doubt SF intends to keep Smith.

• chipower9 said, on December 20, 2012 at 12:12 pm

I think they will release him, so he has a chance to start somewhere. Will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

• twinfan1 said, on December 20, 2012 at 11:41 am

I usually tend to other things while commenting, I didn’t see your post, Dirt. We disagree, but now that I thought about it, Jimbo would never give Alex the chance anyway.

13. twinfan1 said, on December 20, 2012 at 10:50 am

The Browns are another team prominently mentioned as a landing spot. People forget that many thought Smith would lay a total egg this year, but since he actually performed at a higher level than in 2011, there’s much more interest than last year. Plus it’s not a good crop of college QBs.
    As to Tolzien,he was kept over Johnson, as Barrows points out, because they liked him as the better “look” QB.

14. James said, on December 20, 2012 at 10:57 am

Did you know that Curt Schilling is the only MLB player to ever win the Roberto Clemente, the Lou Gehrig, and the SI Sportsman of the Year awards AND be named to GQ’s Ten Most Hated Athletes list? This morally complex personality — visionary entrepreneur and victim of the Obama economy — has much more to offer the HOF than his superb stats.

• twinfan1 said, on December 20, 2012 at 11:10 am

Even Schiling turned down the caddy gig, citing moral reasons.

15. unca_chuck said, on December 20, 2012 at 11:30 am

Victim of the Obama economy? Wow, there’s a stretch. It’s Obama’s fault that Schill(ing) is an idiot?

Chi, the Niners are not going to pay Smith $7.5 mill to languish onm the bench. he’ll either be traded or released.

Plus, Kappy needs all the snaps he can get. I don’t think the Niners pull another switcheroo just to get Smith 7 passes or whatever is being bandied about out there.

Is it a bigger insult to give Smith mop-up duty at this point if the Niners blow out AZ to give him the rating deal? I’m sure he doesn’t give a rat’s ass. Nor should anyone else.

• unca_chuck said, on December 20, 2012 at 11:44 am

The right thing to do would be to:

A) Trade him somewhere he’s amenable to (MInn, Cleve)
      B) Release him to find his own deal (AZ, KC)

Smith may be extraordinarily nice about all this bullshit that has gone down, but there’s no way on God’s earth he’s going to be a backup here. No way, no how . . .

He wants to start. Plain and simple. He ain;t starting here anymore, so he wants to move on.

• James said, on December 20, 2012 at 12:07 pm

A stretch and . . . a joke.

• unca_chuck said, on December 20, 2012 at 2:43 pm

Ahhh. Humor doesn’t translate well sometimes.

• chipower9 said, on December 20, 2012 at 12:13 pm

I know…I posted that I believe that they will release him. Trade is the other possibility and possibly more likely, as then they could ensure he doesn’t go to divisional foe AZ.

16. A lleykat said, on December 20, 2012 at 12:00 pm

Not worried about a backup.Tolzien could stick around or Balkke and Harbaugh will find one in the draft.Lower Round 6-7.Someone who fits Jimbo and Trent’s 49er scheme.Balkke is turning into a master on draft days.

• twinfan1 said, on December 20, 2012 at 12:12 pm

Highly doubtful they’d go with another young guy to back up. However I did look at some of the money being paid to guys lke Cassell, so they’d go with a cheaper FA- Matt Moore is a real possibilty, maybe Gradkowski.

17. twinfan1 said, on December 20, 2012 at 12:04 pm

1.A reunion with Turner somewhere is a real possibilty
    2. Staying here *is* still a possibilty. It would take some events to occur this year that might not be positive for the team but he’s been outta here many times before. “Absolutely for certain never throw another pass here” out. It may also take some of the all-time most slobbering pole smoking jobs for Jimbo to pull it off, but we know he’s up to the task.

18. snarkk said, on December 20, 2012 at 12:09 pm

If they cut him, he’s free to go anywhere. Trade him for picks, he’s not — and, his next year’s salary isn’t that high at all for a team with nothing better at QB. And, what NFL team doesn’t always want more draft picks?
    I would think the Niners would do what’s needed to see that Alex does not land in Arizona.
    Why should they try to help a division rival that will have to start from square one again next season at QB?…

• chipower9 said, on December 20, 2012 at 12:14 pm

Not wanting him in AZ is one of the prime reasons I could see them trading him instead of releasing him.

• twinfan1 said, on December 20, 2012 at 12:28 pm

Trading him is not as simple as some seem to think. Rather than go into detail myself, here’s analysis from Niners Nation

• unca_chuck said, on December 20, 2012 at 12:57 pm

The mill ain’t a big sticking point. Smith will agree to whatever they want if it gets him out of here and to a good team (Minn, Cleve. Not the Jets or KC) could easily see a trade happen. I don;t know if Ponder’s wearing out his welcome, but Cleve would be a good fit.

As I’ve noted 1,000 times:

There are zero QBs worth a damn available in FA

There are nothing but scrubs in the 2013 QB draft

The Niners don’t want him to go to AZ

Teams out there could avoid a bidding war (it could happen) if Young Sir Alex hits the open market

• snarkk said, on December 20, 2012 at 1:26 pm

Niners are loaded with picks this coming year, so they could work with a trade partner for picks beyond this coming year to lighten the perceived hit of lost picks. I could see them trade Alex to a team in dire need of a QB for a future 1st and 3rd, or similar. Starting QBs in the NFL don’t grow on trees, and if Baalke can drum up some competition for Alex’ services, the price in picks should not at all be low…

• twinfan1 said, on December 20, 2012 at 1:33 pm

He doesn’t neccessarily have the option of choosing where he goes in a trade.

• unca_chuck said, on December 20, 2012 at 2:51 pm

That’s my point, Twin. I’m sure they’d at least let Smith know who they are thinking about trading him to. I don;t think they’ll needlessly screw him over one last time as a parting gidt. I mean, no one wants to go to the Jets. They are a toxic waste dump at this point. I’m sure he’d be fine with anywhere but NY. I’m pretty sure he’d love to go to AZ but we won’t trade him there.

And yeah, the Niners have 14 picks in the 2013 draft. I was thinking 2 and 4 as a starting point in trade. If they keep those for this year, they could trade up for an NT.

• twinfan1 said, on December 20, 2012 at 3:46 pm

I don’t see anything about how it’s gone down that would indicate they would have any qualms about giving him a final fuck.

19. chipower9 said, on December 20, 2012 at 12:16 pm

On a different note, not sure how many of you Flappers have seen this. Giants have announced the dates/locations for the upcoming Trophy Tour.

I know where I’ll be on January 8th and it sure as fuck will NOT be at work.

20. twinfan1 said, on December 20, 2012 at 1:14 pm

And with that, I agree with those who think we shoudn’t be talking about the second string QB anymore. Colin’s the man now, and we should get solidly behind him now, as someday he’ll also do nothing to lose his job.

21. unca_chuck said, on December 20, 2012 at 1:21 pm

With Alex gone, what will you and NoFear have to talk about?

• twinfan1 said, on December 20, 2012 at 1:37 pm

What did you and Fear “talk” about for 6 years, Chuckles? Anyway, unless Craig loses all sanity and actually allows Fear here, it won’t be a concern.

• unca_chuck said, on December 20, 2012 at 1:54 pm

What’s that supposed to mean? You bailing on my site?

• twinfan1 said, on December 20, 2012 at 2:16 pm

I told you that in an EMail that you obviously chose not to read. But there’s no reason to carry anything over here.

• unca_chuck said, on December 20, 2012 at 2:42 pm

Well, I’d better see if NoFear knows about this place.

22. twinfan1 said, on December 20, 2012 at 2:10 pm

Seattle should be Colin’s biggest test by far. Chicago quickly showed that they were very overrated, the Rams are the Rams, Miami isn’t good, and NE and NO have dreadful pass defenses.Seattle’s defense is equal to ours, they’re at home, it wil be howling,and Carroll, like many coaches, hates Jimbo. And he has more reason than most. It will be Petey’s best shot to beat Jimbo. If Kap preforms well in that setting, he’ll have a good shot at that caddy gig in February ;-)

• unca_chuck said, on December 20, 2012 at 3:40 pm

But don’t downplay what Kappy’s done.

• twinfan1 said, on December 20, 2012 at 4:23 pm

I’ve given him far more props than criticism. You made a huge MFD about how no one could know how Smith would have done and then you make post after post telling how he would have done. FACT is we will never know but there’s more evidence that he’d do well and lead us into the playoffs again. Nothing Kap and the team does now is proof of any kind that it would be better than if Smith were the QB. So don’t be expecting any mea culpa. no matter how they perform. I’ll be happy if they win the Super Bowl but convinced based on his play last year and this that the team would have won it with Smith.

23. twinfan1 said, on December 20, 2012 at 2:28 pm

If anyone would care to see my wife and Zeke, there’s a Merry Christmas pic in the Photo Bucket. Merna had a stroke 4 and 1/2 years ago, lost her left side. I’m limited on my right- we’re a perfect pair!!!

• Flavor said, on December 20, 2012 at 3:09 pm

good looking couple, you two make. :)
      Fear wouldn’t want to come over here. All he does is talk about Alex Smith. That’s it. I supposed TODAY at the Flap would be his version of New Year’s Eve but I still doubt he’d find this place interesting. He’s not your most annoying ‘forever poster, I’ll say that about him……
      It’s always good to take a break from the blog–re-charges your batteries. Lots of guys bail for the Winter at the Flap.
      I bailed last summer and I’m glad I did— gave me a chance to re-structure the place and though we took a blow at the hit-counter this place is much better when multiple voices are spoken vs my tired one over and over.
      Last SUmmer’s re-structure also allowed me to find interest in blogging again. I know that sounds strange but it’s true. Right now. I’m envisioning the 2013 season like this: invite all the stable boys back into a regular rotation—if a couple of guys aren’t interested I’ll take their spot and put up more than a thread every 12 days. Every day is rough but waiting 11 days, after I re-charged myself, was tough……
      Anyway, tangent is over, back to your regularly scheduled “Alex Smith Show.”
      Twin, you should send the bucket a photo of you, Merna and Lisa if you have one, I don’t recall every seeing a pic of her. Oh, if you have a pic of her and that d-bag she almost married I’d love to get a look at that guy too. What was his name? Charles? Something like that. Whatever happened to him?

• twinfan1 said, on December 20, 2012 at 4:00 pm

I did give you a photo of her, she had one on site when she talked about my NHL. You may have noticed I don’t don’t speak of her much anymore. Lots of other reasons but we became pretty much estranged when she didn’t come for my lung cancer surgery. Charles nearly ruining my business was another. Rarely helping with her Mom was yet another.I was Merna’s caregiver even the first day after coming home from my surgeries. Often I’ve had to rest for two hours to have the energy to put Merna to bed. Maybe Chuck wants to poost a wahhhhh! but to tell you the truth, hearing her name pisses me off. That’s really sad.

• twinfan1 said, on December 20, 2012 at 4:46 pm

I’m looking to see what I can find, though. Never were a big picture taking family.

• chipower9 said, on December 21, 2012 at 10:44 pm

I’m down and will gladly be back mucking stalls at The Flap in 2013.

• zumiee said, on December 20, 2012 at 3:18 pm

Great photo, TF! And a Merry Christmas to you and your family, and to all the Flappers and their families.

• A lleykat said, on December 20, 2012 at 3:41 pm

Yeah nice photo Michael!
      Happy Holidays to you Merna and Zeke!
      And of course to all the rest of you knucklehead Flappers& Ferrett too!!

• twinfan1 said, on December 20, 2012 at 4:42 pm

Happy Holidays to you and your family as well, Kat.

• blade3colorado said, on December 21, 2012 at 7:21 am

Nice pic Twin . . . I think you sent this pic to some of us via email a few months ago and explained a few things (that don’t need to be noted here). In any event, you’re both a great looking couple.

• chipower9 said, on December 21, 2012 at 10:45 pm

Nice picture Twin. Thanks for sharing. Wishing you and yours a healthful and happy Christmas and 2013.

24. twinfan1 said, on December 20, 2012 at 8:02 pm

I think we’e all hoping Kap can produce some playoff moments like these.

• unca_chuck said, on December 20, 2012 at 8:14 pm

Does he get 5+ years?

• twinfan1 said, on December 20, 2012 at 8:24 pm

No, he gets to inherit a team that was 14-4 last year, 6-2 this year. You people pretending their situations are the same are a fucking joke.

• Flavor said, on December 20, 2012 at 8:27 pm

no doubt.
      Fantastic compilation.

• twinfan1 said, on December 20, 2012 at 8:38 pm

it’s a great video, one of the few I’ve seen the fans involved in so much.This was no knock on Kap, just a wish for more of these.Who wouldn’t wish for that?

25. eddacker said, on December 20, 2012 at 10:20 pm

Let me just say: in 55 days players like Scutaro, Pense and Posey get to say ‘hello’ and slowly work their way into WS shape.

26. Bozo said, on December 21, 2012 at 5:04 am

Maybe Smith just becomes a QB coach, a very rich one.

27. chipower9 said, on December 21, 2012 at 7:32 am

Blade asked me a question last night via Facebook and I had no clue then, nor do I now (after catching-up on the posts). So, who the hell is “Fear” or “NoFear?”

Should I be scared? Hide the women and children?? Load my shotguns and pistols???

• blade3colorado said, on December 21, 2012 at 7:36 am

Good one Chi . . . I was apprised on who “Fear” was by Flav via Facebook earlier this morning. :-)

• chipower9 said, on December 21, 2012 at 8:08 am

Ahhh…Psssttt…message me and let me know…Flav and I are also FB friends…not sure if he messaged me on that…probably not, as I didn’t inquire until here on the Flap, this morning…

Just keep that Louisville Slugger handy, my friend…

28. chipower9 said, on December 21, 2012 at 7:34 am

So, the latest scuttlebutt is that Timmy has cut his hair. You know that the hot stove needs another log or two thrown on it when it comes to this…

29. chipower9 said, on December 21, 2012 at 8:21 am

Not sure how many have seen this or if it was shared previously…

Official Giant Yearbook…”One Common Goal.”

30. twinfan1 said, on December 21, 2012 at 9:09 am

NoFear is a guy I’ve argued with on football over the years, as has Chuck, with even more regularity and :”vigor”. For a period Fear and I had a truce of sorts because of a kind of bond that veterans of the Vietnamese War have. But our views on football and radically different political views got us at it at again when he reappeared on Chuck’s blog. Since I won’t be at Chuck’s blog any more, the pleasure of his company will be a treat for others.I’m sure he’s a fine family man, other than that I’ll just say that, unlike Mr.Fear, I don’t happen to believe bthat Barack Obama is a Muslim born in Kenya.

• chipower9 said, on December 21, 2012 at 9:14 am

Is this banter that predominantly happened on The Splash or at sfgate? I seem to recall an individual with such a screen name. Your last sentence tells me all I need to know re: the individual’s intelligence (or lack thereof), and that I would have a hard time carrying on any semblence of a conversation with him.

• twinfan1 said, on December 21, 2012 at 9:46 am

On the Niner Insider… Fear is as ardent about defending Dick Nolan as I am about Alex. So one should be able to see the conflict right there. Put in somewhat political terms, I’m to the left of Obama he’s to the right of Todd Akin.

• twinfan1 said, on December 21, 2012 at 10:08 am

Football is a bizarre game. For all of the complex strategy, we’ve basically got a bunch of men who are unemployable except as spokesmen for beer companies directing two groups back and forth and then back forth again. The morbidly obese men bump against each to try to gain advantage for the slimmer guys who try to catch the opposition slimmer guys. Then a slim short guy kicks a ball to the left of where it was supposed to go. See? It isn’t such a complez game after all. The real action takes place in the living room where we make phone calls to a shady kinda guy who agrees to take some money from us. Then we sit down so it’s safe to keel over after having 14 of the beers that the ex-coach says are really tasty and come from clear waters. Finally, a guy who lost a lot of money to the shady guy threatens the life of the short slim guy who kicked the ball to the left of the ideal location.

• chipower9 said, on December 21, 2012 at 11:08 am

LMAO…Love your description of football, Michael. Wishing you and your happy and healthy holidays!

31. chipower9 said, on December 21, 2012 at 9:22 am

I got a home-made shirt from a friend-of-a-friend (Two In Three motif), and while it’s just a simple t-shirt, it caused me to reflect on this year and on 2010, and also on all of the dismal and near-misses that contributed to the roller coaster ride our Giants took us on over the years.

Anyway, it translated into some real serious basking. It is so wonderufl to be a San Francisco Giant fan, and it is especially great to be able to share it with you all, right here on the Flap. Thanks Craig for giving us this community (and to me it is a community…it’s family).

Anyway – Two in Three. Damn…I was so estatic in 2010, and could have died a happy man after one. Then there was this year. Fuck that…I’m hungry…let’s do it again.

BTW – If you have not heard…the trophy tour begins January 8th in Sacramento. Details on specific locations forthcoming.

Make it a wonderful weekend, Flappers, wherever you are around the world!

32. zumiee said, on December 21, 2012 at 12:07 pm

I’m about halfway through “Summer of ’68,” and it’s holding my interest well.
    It was definitely the “year of the pitcher,” and of course the mound was lowered 6 inches after that. But, still, it wasn’t just the mound height that was doing all that. There was some seriously great pitching going on that year.
    Everyone’s familiar with Drysdale’s shut-out inning streak that year; but I wasn’t aware that Gibson almost passed him! Gibson threw 5 consecutive shut-outs that season, on his way to a 1.12 ERA for the season.
    And, on a side note, I’d forgotten that Steve Carlton was originally with the Cardinals.
    The book does a good job of combining the baseball history with social history. Obviously, a lot of social change and conflict was going on that year. And it’s probably the last year that baseball was the #1 sport in the U.S. In early ’69, the Jets won their upset in the Super Bowl and everything changed in sports.

• Flavor said, on December 21, 2012 at 12:08 pm

didn’t a movie come out about it once? In and out of the theater in like a week?

• zumiee said, on December 21, 2012 at 12:34 pm

About the summer of ’68? I don’t know. I missed that one. I used to be up on what is happening in movies really well, but in the last several years I’ve slowly lost interest in being up on movies.

• ewisco said, on December 21, 2012 at 12:47 pm

there was the “Summer of 42″. I was quite envious.

• zumiee said, on December 21, 2012 at 1:04 pm

I saw that actress being interviewed a few years ago. She mentioned how everyone talked about her being the “older woman,” in the film. She laughed, and said: “I was 22!” or some similar age.

33. twinfan1 said, on December 21, 2012 at 12:31 pm

If anyone would like to discuss the mass murders in Newtown, the NRA, your thoughts on all all of the horror, there’s a link to the right “What’s it all about? Call of Duty for X-Box?….”

• snarkk said, on December 21, 2012 at 6:16 pm

Thank you for creating the dialogue space. I have been inundating my political representatives with e-mails. After today’s performance by Wayne LaPierre, I got busy again. How ironic is it that this moron, in the middle of peddling his “more guns, more guards” solution to make every single school in the US an armed camp, has Code Pinkers walk right up in front of him and unfurl banners pointing out the NRA’s blood soaked hands? There’s the security for you, your guards can’t even stop two protesters from getting right in your face and pointing out your douchebaggery on national TV. Classic. Then, pussy that he and his organization is, he takes no questions…

• blade3colorado said, on December 21, 2012 at 8:05 pm

Me too. Between this subject and the fiscal cliff (Obama is pissing me off – he seems to be negotiating with himself, e.g., raising the minimum tax to $400k and proposing a “chained CSI.” WHAT THE FUCK?), I have fired off approx. a half dozen emails to both the White House and my Senator. Dumb fucks all . . .

NRA? More dumb fucks.

34. zumiee said, on December 21, 2012 at 12:39 pm

I watched Game 1 of the 2012 World Series yesterday that’s on my DVR, and there’s an amusing moment in the first inning. On a 1-1 pitch, Pagan swings at a high fastball from Verlander, and misses, and McCarver says something like “Batters can’t hit that pitch off Verlander. They have to lay off of it.” And then of course, two batters later, Pablo crushes a high fastball for an HR. As Pablo crosses the plate, both broadcasters go silent, and then McCarver says: “Sometimes a pitcher has to tip his cap to the batter.”

• twinfan1 said, on December 21, 2012 at 1:20 pm

That first HR to dead center, had to tell Verlander something’s going on here… then Panda hits one to LF, and “Wow” was Justin’s response. Beneath his breath “We’re fucked…” Panda made it look waaay too easy..

• zumiee said, on December 21, 2012 at 1:27 pm

(grin) That’s a little different than I remembered things.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on December 21, 2012 at 7:39 pm

That video is great.

• chipower9 said, on December 21, 2012 at 11:05 pm

:-)

35. A lleykat said, on December 21, 2012 at 1:28 pm

Cubs sign Nate Scheirholtz..1year 2.25 mil,500k incentive clause added just because he’s a Cub…
    Back to our regular schedule programming,Steve Bartman witness protection update.

• Bozo said, on December 21, 2012 at 4:38 pm

I thought he went to the Yanks?

36. Irish Kevin said, on December 21, 2012 at 1:33 pm

I think Alex tests the market, if he does not get close to the $8 mill, he takes a cut and stays a niner, Better the Devil you know…

37. Flavor said, on December 21, 2012 at 4:59 pm

I’m trying to keep up with the El Presidente transactions this Winter. If you’re keeping score at home he was non-tendered by the Giants and picked up off waivers by the Yankees. 3 weeks later, the Yanks waived him and Toronto picked up up. ON THE SAME DAY, Toronto waived him and Texas picked up up (same day). And now that AJ Jerkzynski has signed with Texas there is a great likelihood that Whitey will be on the move again…..
    Oh, and the Nationals signed Brian Bigco…..er….um…Bocock…..it never gets old…. :) :) :)

• snarkk said, on December 21, 2012 at 5:17 pm

He’ll probably end up with the Giants again in Fresno…

• Flavor said, on December 21, 2012 at 6:17 pm

ha, that would be hilarious and rad.

• twinfan1 said, on December 21, 2012 at 9:49 pm

Seems there should be a job-a *non-playing* job- for Eli in the organization. Maybe teaching the young catchers in the system the proper way to retrieve a passed ball. That would keep Vera and her Ambrosia Salad in the organizatiuon, as well.Toronto probably waived him because Vera couldn’t get the salad past the border personnel. It’s pretty much a given among MLB teams- no Ambrosia, no Whitey.

38. PawlieKokonuts said, on December 21, 2012 at 8:02 pm

Regarding Sandoval’s HR in Game 1 of the 2012 WS, I see it as a seismic shift in direct symmetry to Willie Mays’s catching the ball hit by Vic Wertz AND making that even-more-stupendous throw in 1954. I know I’m not original in this view. Both the Indians and the Tigers were favored. Both of those events sent spiritual uh-oh’s rippling through the psyches of our opponents. And being there and remembering being there: ELECTRIC. GALVANIC. NUCLEAR. From my spot in the bleachers, I did not see Pablo’s ball land, but the sights and sounds of the crowd told it all. We felt it. WE FECKING FELT IT.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on December 21, 2012 at 8:09 pm

The subsequent two were good too.

• snarkk said, on December 21, 2012 at 9:51 pm

The first two were awesome. But, that third one. Patented Panda, he golfed one that was about 4 inches off the dirt, and a nasty curve to boot. Easily the best clutch performance on a big baseball stage since, I dunno when…

39. black and orange said, on December 22, 2012 at 12:40 pm

I do feel bad for Smith in that he lost his job AFTER becoming a statistically-elite quarterback for the last season and a half, but the Niners have to do what’s best for their future and it looks like Kaeppy might be the real deal. Alex deserves a shot at a starting job somewhere else and it looks like he’ll get the chance because the QB free agent market is going to be pretty weak this offseason. I wish him the best wherever he lands (which will probably be either Kansas City or Arizona).

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 498 other followers