Who SHOULD Win the Pennant vs Who WILL Win the Pennant

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on December 22, 2012

Here are the odds to win the pennant for both the NL and the AL:

AL

NL

The first thing that stands out is how much those odds suck. The Cubs at 30-1? If it was my site I’d put them at 10,000 to 1. Same with about 7 or 8 other teams on these lists. And the Yankees at 6-1 makes me lqtm. If I was going to bet on a team from each league it would be the Giants and the Rangers. But I definitely see why the Dodgers/Nationals and the Angels/Tigers are favored.

Future bets are dumb. I used to try to hit horse racing future bets on Breeders Cup races, usually the Juvenile. I’d usually take 50-1 and occasionally those horses would actually make the race. Never did they win it. Once I had a horse that made the race and went off at 60-1. I had him at 40-1 on my future bet. Oops. The only thing a future bet does is encourage your interest in the sport. And that’s not a bad thing, you follow along more closely leading up to the *big* day more than you would if you didn’t have any money on it. But all in all, it’s the fastest way to lose your money……

About these ads

1. Bozo said, on December 22, 2012 at 6:35 am

I’m not into betting much (Super Bowl aside), but at 40-1, I might lay down a few bucks on Cleveland. Although, since I don’t follow the AL much maybe not.

I see the Giants claimed Sandy Rosario off of waivers. I didn’t go to a Zephyrs game last year so I haven’t seen him throw. The year before New Orleans had a big dude, Jose Ceda, who was lights out.

The Giants also signed OFer Cole Gillespie to a minor league contract. That might be an interesting pick up. He had some pretty solid stats for Reno (AZ AAA) last year.

2. Flavor said, on December 22, 2012 at 6:43 am

David Lee with a triple double last night– his two behind the back assists were impressive though I’ve always felt like a behind the back pass is a little overrated. It’s easier to do than it looks.
    Can you imagine what the T-Wolves would give up in a trade package for David Lee? The mind boggles. :) :) :)

• willedav said, on December 22, 2012 at 7:16 am

yeah, actually it is easy to throw—as long as the guy you’re throwing it to is ready for it you’re good. but if you f one up you look pretty bad. It’s funny, but a lot of girls can work on fancy moves in practice just fine, but don’t have confidence to try them in a game, even those with a lot of skills. Guys, on the other hand, will do anything no matter how wild it might be, or whether it works or not.
      HS during b-ball season our PE class was the team sport, so off season in spring we would get to play on outdoor courts (obviously much shorter than indoor) during regular PE. My fav move became behind the back bounce pass on the fast break for a layup, but I couldn’t do it with either hand only the strong one.

3. twinfan1 said, on December 22, 2012 at 8:40 am

Well, if one were to wager on the Giants and Rangers, the current 7-1 futures are likely to be the best you’ll get.If you’re right, you’ll get worse odds as the season progresses, It seems to me that if have your mind made up, why not wager when the odds are best? I’m not talking about the ponies, just baseball.

4. twinfan1 said, on December 22, 2012 at 9:35 am

We’ve had a very good discussion in “B” about the massacre in Newtown and our ideas on preventing these terrible incidents. Politicians have feared the NRA for too long,but they’re paper tigers. As former Pennyslvania governor Ed Rendell has noted, he won 3 terms in a very pro-Second Amendment state despite strong opposition from the NRA and the gun manufacturers. The NRA actually used his support from from the Brady Campaign, the Million Mom March, and the Coalition to Stop Gun Violence against him. More recently, LaPierre knew that the handwriting was on the wall even before the murders at Newtown, which probably explains his frothing and hysterical statement yesterday.Here’s his stance before the presidential election:
    “Either we defeat Barack Obama and retain all the benefits of our pro-gun victories over the past 30 years–from the Firearms Owners’ Protection Act and the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act, to the Right-to-Carry revolution, Castle Doctrine, hunter protection and landmark victories in the U.S. Supreme Court–or we lose this election and lose it all.”
    Even if your rep is pro control, no better time than now than to flood the media and the politicians with demands such as those discussed on Page B to make *real* policy on banning the weapons and weapon capabilities that enable these murderers to slaughter scores or more with weapons that have no place or purpose but to rapidly and indiscriminately kill human beings. End of rant. For now..

• blade3colorado said, on December 22, 2012 at 9:48 am

I saw Rendell (I like him and his views a lot) yesterday as well, but forgot which show he made that comment on . . . Usually, I will have MSNBC on in the background while I work on a project or when I am on the pc.

In any event, yes, I agree with your points above and we have had a wonderful discussion – that has been civil and respectful – in Room B about these important issues.

• twinfan1 said, on December 22, 2012 at 9:57 am

Rendell is a regular on MSNBC, well before the latest shootings, he’s pushed for legislation- way back to 1993. He’s no newbie to the fight.

• twinfan1 said, on December 22, 2012 at 10:32 am

On a personal note, I was in Aviation Ordinance and besides my time in Vietnam in the “Brown Water Navy”, some of my duty in the States was unloading ordinance from fighter jets, and running the pistol range at Miramar Naval Air Station. My only point in noting this is that, like many of you, I may not know first hand about using an assault weapon, I’m quite familiar with the lethality of the perfectly legal weapons that the vast majority of gun owners possess. A perfectly legal single shot deer rifle can take down an elephant. If one can’t live with that, he/she shouldn’t be allowed to own a weapon of any kind. I’ve said before that I do have weapons at home, but at the risk of having an angry Dodger fan plan a home invasion, they’re all now disabled. In other words, display purposes only.

• blade3colorado said, on December 22, 2012 at 10:39 am

I had a Browning 9 mm and .22 automatic handguns – Both worthless for home protection and I got rid of them in my late 20s. I guess a shotgun, particularly the short barreled type familiarly known as “riot guns,” can be quite effective. These generally come with 18″-20″ barrels. They are extremely intimidating to an intruder. No sane person wants to argue with a shotgun. That being said, I never went through and actually bought one. Instead, I have a baseball bat under my bed and I hope any intruder doesn’t have a gun. :-)

• twinfan1 said, on December 22, 2012 at 11:04 am

You see, Craig has an extremely effective home protection weapon in the Scott McClain bat I sent him some time ago. It’s pre-broken, making it even more effective if placed properly ;-)

• blade3colorado said, on December 22, 2012 at 11:19 am

McClain bat coupled with Flav’s physical stature (6’4″ or 6’5″) would make me think twice about entering the Vaughan casa.

• snarkk said, on December 22, 2012 at 3:00 pm

As a young man, my father used to hunt deer in NorCal mountains (Trinity, Siskiyous) in the ’30s and ’40s, going days at a time up into the high country with horses and pack mules with a bunch of guys. They’d run deer down gulches, and the guys at the bottom would take the buck, if any were in the brush. This was real hunting, no corn drops and sitting in blinds like these faux deer hunters do now. Anyway, his favorite deer rifle was a scoped .257 Roberts, I think by Remington, could have been a Browning. That is an old style rifle that I think is hard to find these days. He said he sometimes used a .30-.30, but it wasn’t near as good. He hunted birds once in while, with a .12 gauge over-under Browning. Didn’t like duck hunting because he didn’t like to sit around all day in the cold and wet and be around guys drinking to keep warm. He also had an old double barrel .12 gauge, a .22 rifle and some sort of chrome semi-auto handgun with a 9 cartridge clip, not sure of caliber, but definitely a serious weapon. After he died, I found some other kind of pistol that looked like a German luger that he had hidden away that I didn’t even know about. Ammo always stored separate from weapons. I’ve been around guns, but I never had an inclination to get into hunting. We sometimes had short conversations about the NRA, and all he would say is that they were “gun nuts”, and that was when it was a relatively sane organization. And, he’d used hunting guns for most of his adult life…

• blade3colorado said, on December 22, 2012 at 3:20 pm

I’ve actually read that the majority of NRA members are sane and responsible hunters, target practice shooters, and/or citizens wanting an appropriate weapon for home protection. As I understand it – correct me if I am wrong – many of these members are often at odds with the NRA policies, i.e., they support thoughtful and sensible gun control government policies, such as effective background checks, a ban on assault type weapons, cartridges of 10-12 bullets, etc.

Conversely, the executive board that actually runs the NRA – are “lapdogs and stooges” for the gun manufacturers and they utilize the NRA for lobbying and promoting any and all gun policies that will increase the manufacture of guns and ammunition.

5. Macdog said, on December 22, 2012 at 10:49 am

Christmas comes a couple days early for Cody Ross: ESPN says he’s going to Arizona for 3Y/$26M.

• blade3colorado said, on December 22, 2012 at 11:13 am

Boy, I’ll say Mac . . . I thought only Boston had the park for that type of coin to be justified. Regardless, I have fond memories for Cody and I’m glad he was able to soak a division rival for that much money.

6. Sportdude said, on December 22, 2012 at 11:02 am

Re futures bets..By fluke I was walking thru MGM sports book in late June. Giants just won to tie for 1st. Phillys just lost to go something like 10 games under .500. I looked at the big board. Giants 18-1 Phills 6-1. I asked the guy “Is that right? How can that be with the teams as they are?” He said odds hadn’t changed much since April. I was a little irked (Giants chip on my shoulder) and said well hell, at 18-1 give me $20 on the Giants to win WS! A Vegas trip to pick up my $360 is in the works for spring!

• Flavor said, on December 22, 2012 at 11:17 am

fantastic. You get a world series win AND you get paid. Does it get any better?

• blade3colorado said, on December 22, 2012 at 11:28 am

Umm . . . How about Danny Ocean invites you to be the get away driver on his MGM robbery caper?

7. Bozo said, on December 22, 2012 at 12:25 pm

Going through some old baseball cards (for reasons I shouldn’t talk about here). Anyway, I ran across a Pete LaCock card (OFer, 1B for Cubs and Royals) and wondered if he went into the baseball protection program to become pitching coach Dick Pole.

8. black and orange said, on December 22, 2012 at 12:45 pm

I have a hard time believing these lines. Most of the other gambling websites I’ve seen have the Nationals as the leading NL Pennant favorites, followed by the Reds and then the Giants. Dodgers usually are fourth at best.

9. zumiee said, on December 22, 2012 at 1:00 pm

Shows you what I know about gambling, I thought ALL gambling was “futures” gambling. Like, who wants to bet me on the Civil War and take the South? Give it a thought; that Lee is a genius. Yeah, Pickett’s charge was ill-advised, but even the great ones have off days.

• ewisco said, on December 22, 2012 at 1:20 pm

Actually jeb stewart needs to get his share of the blame for haring off and not being there where lee needed him.

• ewisco said, on December 22, 2012 at 2:16 pm

btw, i’m sure you’ve read it but “The Killer Angels” is an incredible read about the battle at Gettysburg. When we lived in NJ i kept meaning to take the boys there but it never worked out.

• James said, on December 22, 2012 at 4:39 pm

Zumie, my favorite history book of all time:

I read that thing about 17 times . . . .

10. shaman138 said, on December 22, 2012 at 1:48 pm

Everyone knows the Confederate army was a one-man team in Lee, and was doomed to fail eventually. They had a great run but inevitably choked because their whole organization, top to bottom, was in shambles from the get-go and Lee couldn’t carry it all on his back in the big games. The North had Lincoln, the South had old what’s-his-name….enough said.

• James said, on December 22, 2012 at 4:37 pm

What about John Pelham?

• shaman138 said, on December 22, 2012 at 6:09 pm

Utility guy at best…

• James said, on December 22, 2012 at 6:28 pm

Maybe more like injuries cut a great career short.

11. snarkk said, on December 22, 2012 at 2:50 pm

Giants have claimed some relief guy late of the Marlins’ AAA farm team named Sandy Rosario. Sounds like a club singer in Miami. Anyway, he’s also been through the waiver merry go round this offseason like El Presidente. This can’t be a good sign for those looking to see the Beard coming back… http://www.sfgate.com/giants/article/Sandy-Rosario-claimed-by-Giants-4140001.php

• Bozo said, on December 22, 2012 at 3:24 pm

Yeah snarkk, I kinda mentioned it on my 6:35AM post. Also, they signed Cole Gillespie to a minor league contract which may make the extra OF slot competitive.

• snarkk said, on December 23, 2012 at 12:36 am

Sorry, Bozo. Missed your early one…

• Flavor said, on December 23, 2012 at 5:42 am

I think the Giants waved bye bye to the Beard as soon as Casilla scored 15 million.

12. twinfan1 said, on December 22, 2012 at 4:13 pm

Rosario would be the immediate front runner for the last pen spot. 6 are pretty much locks. And Gillespie looks to have some medium pop and decent speed, making him the front runner for the 5th OF if Brown doesn’t force his way on.
    But Rosario would be a mop up guy, that won’t affect whether they sign Wilson or not, Rosario would just get bumped to Fresno.

13. zumiee said, on December 22, 2012 at 4:41 pm

Ewisco, I’ve read “The Killer Angels,” and liked it a lot. I agree- it’s a great one!

14. James said, on December 22, 2012 at 5:32 pm

It’s time for some christmas songs. When Carla Bley and the Trinity College Choir start getting on my nerves, there’s nothing like a well crafted novelty tune to take the edge off:

15. James said, on December 22, 2012 at 5:41 pm

And for all ye randy gentlemen:

16. willedav said, on December 22, 2012 at 6:29 pm

James, I have an Etta Jones w/Houston Person and Johnny coles, otherwise the blues is on at work (along with blue note jazz lee morgan pepper adams bobby hutcherson today). There is one track on one of these CDs from John Lee Hooker that kills me, “Blues for Christmas/ I ain’t got a dime.”
    Otherwise, no holiday music for me.

• James said, on December 22, 2012 at 6:59 pm

Not even a little Village Vanguard “Greensleeves,” Willie?

17. twinfan1 said, on December 22, 2012 at 6:39 pm

Ah, there’s nothing like the Chipmunks to greet you on Christmas morning.My wife did that to me one year and I’d say there’s no greater way to know how I much I love here than the fact that we are still married..now let’s see how much Craig loves me..

• James said, on December 22, 2012 at 7:03 pm

I am truly sorry that I can’t respond to this with “Buzzy, the Christmas Bee.” If you have never heard it, a treasure worth tracking down.

18. PawlieKokonuts said, on December 22, 2012 at 7:31 pm

I love Sportsdude’s story about the 18-1 Vegas bet. A bit of respect and some coin. (I won $10 at the casino this week, tho’ it was a fairly boring escapade.)

19. PawlieKokonuts said, on December 22, 2012 at 7:33 pm

Apropos of nothing whatsoever, this list of worst words is entertaining: http://www.theatlanticwire.com/entertainment/2012/12/worst-words-2012/59909/ I use “artisanal” all the time (“artisanal wordsmith”) but with blatant self-mockery.

• twinfan1 said, on December 22, 2012 at 8:11 pm

I hate it when half my vocabulary sucks.

• James said, on December 22, 2012 at 9:06 pm

But do you pronounce it “arteezzuhnol”?

• James said, on December 22, 2012 at 9:13 pm

20. Phoenex said, on December 22, 2012 at 7:57 pm

Definitely time to put Epic to bed as well as basking.

21. Macdog said, on December 22, 2012 at 8:18 pm

This one’s for snarkk and anyone else who’s even a little suspicious of NBA officiating:

“LeBron James didn’t get called for a personal foul for a sixth straight game. James’ most recent foul was an offensive call against New Orleans on Dec. 8. He has played 250 minutes, 4 seconds without being whistled for a personal foul, though he was hit with a technical for arguing a no-call late in the first half on Saturday.”

Incredible. I doubt even Jordan went that long without a foul.

• snarkk said, on December 23, 2012 at 12:38 am

That IS more than suspicious. A player that plays almost the entire game every night should accidentally foul somebody once a game…

• twinfan1 said, on December 23, 2012 at 8:54 am

If the case is that stars receive preferential treatment, that’s old news. Wilt played over 1200 games and never fouled out. If we’re talking about game outcomes being rigged, a far greater burden of proof than this anomaly is needed.

22. zumiee said, on December 22, 2012 at 9:34 pm

James, that Civil War book has a great cover. Very cool.

23. snarkk said, on December 23, 2012 at 12:52 am

Re: the above AC/DC clip above.
    If anybody here is really a fan of that group, I may be telling something you know, but take a look at youtube for “AC/DC River Plate”. That is the very high quality filmed concert they did two years ago, I think, for four nights or so in Buenos Aires at the big outdoor soccer stadium. Youtube has the entire concert cut up in segments. It is one of most amazing, crazed, unimaginably high energy big stadium concerts I have seen as a vid, rivals some of the Queen stuff at Wembley. The crowd shots are just incredibly wild, and renditions of the oldies are great. Angus is in fine form, and to think this guy is a few years older than me, his energy is just stunning. They say he doesn’t do drugs, so I must be doing something wrong. It’s not the same thing and feel as when Bon was around, but that’s water under the bridge. Here is the starting clip. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwqyyDD82Dc The best segments are “TNT (incredible crowd shots) and the 11:06 long “Let There Be Rock”. Both are jaw droppingly fun. Have a beer and watch…

• Flavor said, on December 23, 2012 at 5:39 am

I loved AC/DC (more so when I was younger, but still). Saw them several times live with a Shoreline show back in the late 80’s being my 2nd favorite concert of all time (Grateful Dead at Laguna Seca 1987 was my favorite of all time. Wow, what a weekend).

24. snarkk said, on December 23, 2012 at 1:29 am

Dig this early interview with Willie Mays and his first wife. No wonder they got divorced within 3 years.
    Looks like they’re ready to put on gloves and go a coupla rounds in the ring. Too funny!.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZVupmb2KFE

• blade3colorado said, on December 23, 2012 at 10:19 am

Jesus, what a cold fish she is and Willie sounds like a neanderthal in his views about women.

25. unca_chuck said, on December 23, 2012 at 7:46 am

Shit, you were at Laguna Seca in 87, Flav? Cool. Great show. Yeah, the early AC/DC (late 70s) shows were off the chart. Haven’t seen ‘em since Bon was alive.

• James said, on December 23, 2012 at 10:17 am

Like Chuck, I am a Bon Scott purist. But even Mrs. James thinks “Mistress” is pretty funny.

26. zumiee said, on December 23, 2012 at 3:16 pm

Pretty interesting documentary on ESPN about pro athletes who’ve gone broke and why. One player had 9 children by 9 different women. Crazy stuff like that. Some just got greedy, like Kosar investing in a bunch of real estate right before the bubble collapsed.

• snarkk said, on December 23, 2012 at 4:43 pm

Supposedly per wiki, Shawn Kemp, ex of the SuperSonics, had 13 kids at least, by 9 different women. With only 9, he must have had a cold in a coupla towns when visiting on road trips…

• snarkk said, on December 23, 2012 at 4:44 pm

The importance of getting a real agent with real financial abilities or a team of people associated with the agent that supports proper financial planning cannot be exaggerated. Bad agent = bad financial results…

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 499 other followers