Rule the Day

Posted in Uncategorized by pawliekokonuts on December 23, 2012

Baseball as an enterprise is conservative, not crazy about changing traditions or rules. The most radical rule change of the last 50 years is the allowance of a Designated Hitter, or DH. It’s not something I have yet come to endorse.

What rule changes, if any, would you endorse?

And have you ever read the official rulebook? (Triumph Books puts out an edition.) (I know that Snarkk has made reference to it, natch.)

Would you approve of any changed rules regarding instant replay?

How about added rules prescribing protections for catchers in home-plate collisions?

I can’t think of much, but how’s this for a rule change:

– Ban the DH.

– Rosters shall consist of 27 players, two of which shall be Gamer Babes, preferably buxom twins.

Have at it.

Rule the day, Flappers.

About these ads

1. unca_chuck said, on December 23, 2012 at 9:17 am

Plays at 1st should be reviewed, and balls close to the foul line. Those calls are routinely blown.

2 challenges per game per team?

The problem is the whole continuation aspect, but they’ll have to determine that on the fly.

And yeah, the rules for home plates hould mirror the protection 2nd basemen get (or don’t, in the case of Scoots).

• xoot said, on December 24, 2012 at 1:25 pm

The continuation issue’s pretty important. It’s one thing to review a ball that bounces back onto the field and that the umps call fair. Everyone plays it out and stop where they stop. If review shows it was a HR, everyone trots home. No problem. But if the umps twirl the finger in the air and everyone treats the ball as gone, then a review disrupts the game completely. You can’t reposition the batter and the runners. So, once the ball is ruled dead, it’s dead. Same thing with foul balls. If the ump makes a mistake and calls the ball foul, it’s dead, and no review should affect it. But if the ump calls it fair and a review shows a mistake, well, send everyone back to where they started and move on to the next pitch.

Review could work on first-base calls for batters who haven’t yet rounded first. Put a sensor in the bag to complement the slomo video and conclusive evidence should be available. Other bases wouldn’t be so definitive.

Why invoke time more often than necessary? Too much replay would ruin the rhythm of the game.

2. denniszu said, on December 23, 2012 at 9:41 am

I agree on banning the DH. That’s just not what baseball was meant to be and takes a critical strategy out of the game….. Fans of the American League just don’t realize what they are missing.
    But I fear the buxon twins might remove some of the concentration by the players with frequent between innings of unnecessary ahhhhh…. rubdowns in the clubhouse…. good for the players…. bad for the fans…
    Now buxon ball babes chasing foul balls would get me to buy season tickets with the most powerful binoculars money could buy……
    As for the rest of the game, for me I’m hoping it stays pure and that technology doesn’t creep in.

• Nipper said, on December 23, 2012 at 6:31 pm

Nothing is pure including baseball.

3. willedav said, on December 23, 2012 at 10:11 am

I’d put a clock on batters getting into the box, and on stepping out btw pitches. Also ban on all the “protective” gear–only helmet permitted.
    Adding an extra player is cool, as is banning the DH. Replay would be great on all close calls, at any base. Automatic reviews, no challenges.
    All balldudes immediately banned. Seriously, Giants need to get these useless old farts off the field—it’s not funny, it’s embarrassing and dangerous.
    Man hope SF runs sea chickens off tonite…my co. has 6 stores within half hour of that stadium, and if niners lose me and the calif guys will hear endless shit. Actually I hope game ends on a controversial call with Carroll running on the field in protest, and Harbs foregos the handshake for a headlock and a take down.

• Alleykat said, on December 23, 2012 at 12:51 pm

LMAO …Willie,Headlock ,Takedown,and throw in a “Wedgie” on National TV.No worries tonight.Willie,JH “OWNS” that little bitch 5-1 alltime,3-0 in the pros,make that 4-0 after tonights butt waxing…

• Nipper said, on December 23, 2012 at 6:32 pm

Balldudes used to be a lot older. Now they can actually stand upright at times.

4. twinfan1 said, on December 23, 2012 at 12:03 pm

Well, expanding replay is neccessary, and as Willie says, not by challenge. That’s a terrible flaw in the NFL version. Replays are determined by a simple factor: was it close ( as Chuckie says, foul line cals, first base, in fact every base)
    Balldudes are just fine.
    Banning the DH will never happen, so “what, me worry”?
    The McCarver Rule to protect catchers. It will need to be refined.
    Buxom Babes? How about making the LF position restricted to just busty sluts? I know there are some who can play it better than about 15 guys now playing.it. And the A’s could boost attendance by removing the tarp in the LF section..Soft core videos of the LFer could be shown on the JumboTitron..an additional replay categary- on diving catches, the “one tit down” rule applies…to the LF ball dude-for an erection lasting more than 4 hours, congratulations!
    And finally: not really a rule change, but a Chef’s commission to come up with non-soggy Garlic Fries at ATT

• Alleykat said, on December 23, 2012 at 12:59 pm

That was some fine piece of writing Twin!! ”
      Buxom Babe Sluts,and One tit down rule for ball dudes,with a “Boner” lasting for over 4 hours.Fucking Hilarious!!!

• PawlieKokonuts said, on December 23, 2012 at 1:30 pm

ah, so I was not the only person to find the garlic fries soggy

5. twinfan1 said, on December 23, 2012 at 2:37 pm

Now what about that Seahawk game? Petey has his best chance of beating Jimbo- ‘Hawks need it more, they’re at home, defenses are equal, Gore/Lynch are equal, Wilson/Kap are equal passing, Kap is the better runner. With Akers so inconsistent, Seahwaks get the kicking edge. Tough game to call. Both punters are good. Seattle should have edge with home field, FG kicker. Colin’s running is our clear edge. I’m punting this one, calling it a tie, and just rooting for our Niners.

6. Bozo said, on December 23, 2012 at 3:02 pm

Please sirs, would you consider a change to televised games. If you would sirs, eliminate having these old eyes distracted by the fat fucks behind Home Plate acting as if they are starring in La Grande Bouffe, in addition oh Lords, blocking out ex Presidents, CEO wanna B’s on the phone and some strange dude wearing a rally banana suit would also be encouraged. I’m sure various advertisements would be much more enjoyable. I could speculate on the virtues of a restaurant named the Battle of the Bulge, or contemplate on the movie All the President’s Chins, not to mention the hit single CEO’s Just Wanna Have Fun with a Banana, Dude. I thank you in advance, for considering these slight changes to broadcasting your almost perfect product.

7. zumiee said, on December 23, 2012 at 3:42 pm

Pretty interesting documentary on ESPN about pro athletes who’ve gone broke and why. One player had 9 children by 9 different women. Crazy stuff like that. Some just got greedy, like Kosar investing in a bunch of real estate right before the bubble collapsed.

8. zumiee said, on December 23, 2012 at 3:45 pm

Allow the intentional walk to be done by a signal from the pitcher to the ump, as it’s done in Friday night softball. The 4 tosses to the catcher are silly and boring. Nothing ever happens. OK- I grant you Johnny Bench vs. the A’s, but that’s about it in 100+ years of fans watching the stupid ritual.

• Bozo said, on December 23, 2012 at 4:42 pm

Sorry Z, I have to disagree on this one. I have seen pitchers not able to throw strikes after the IBB. It seems to me, that some guys get it in their head and just lose the strike zone completely.

9. snarkk said, on December 23, 2012 at 5:11 pm

I’ll have to think about rule changes. A glaring need for change doesn’t come to mind.
    Baseball is pretty close to a perfect game, IMO. It’s the players that muck it up…

10. snarkk said, on December 23, 2012 at 5:13 pm

Swisher 4 years to Cleveland for $56 million. I thought the economy was still in the dumper?…

• Nipper said, on December 23, 2012 at 6:35 pm

He’s a good player but not that good. Indians should change their name. How about the trees?

• JBat said, on December 23, 2012 at 10:23 pm

$56 million for Swisher? No effing way. The Tribe can have him. No way the Giants were going to pull another Aaron Rowand.

11. Nipper said, on December 23, 2012 at 6:37 pm

Since the DH is here to stay, why not add it to the NL? Pitchers at the plate just don’t inspire much confidence to me.

• blade3colorado said, on December 24, 2012 at 11:58 am

Hey Nipper . . . Good to see ya back :-)

12. PawlieKokonuts said, on December 23, 2012 at 7:23 pm

Nipper, I don’t know when you returned but glad to see it.

13. paulinasia said, on December 23, 2012 at 7:49 pm

Lady and Gentlemen of the Flap, it’s Christmas Eve morning in the Eastern Hemisphere, so I just want to wish you all a lovely, warm, and festive Christmastime …. As Asians generally love crowds, noise, and lights, tonight Saigon city will look like Times Square on new year’s eve (and they’ll do it again a week later), but I’ll likely find a (relatively) quiet pub in a small alley away from the crowds yet still populated with enough lovely elves serving the food and drink and good cheer. Enjoy, and peace on earth and everywhere else…..

• blade3colorado said, on December 24, 2012 at 11:57 am

Merry Christmas Paul or as the Vietnamese say, “Mừng Giáng Sinh Paul!”

14. twinfan1 said, on December 23, 2012 at 7:53 pm

Happy Holidays, Paul.

• paulinasia said, on December 23, 2012 at 7:57 pm

Thanks, Michael, you too, as always….

15. JBat said, on December 23, 2012 at 10:24 pm

After tonight’s debacle in Seattle, I’m ready for baseball more than ever.

16. Irish Kevin said, on December 24, 2012 at 8:29 am

Yes, get rid of the DH, and get rid of the intentional walk all together. I think the intentional walk takes some pitchers out of their rythmn. So make it so they have to come at least close. I mean pitchers walk guys unintentional/intentionally anyway. and Nipper is right Baseball is not pure anymore, IMO since the DH was introduced.

17. twinfan1 said, on December 24, 2012 at 11:01 am

I made another post on “B” about the lie that the assault weapons ban that lapsed in 2004 didn’t work.
    Here are the figures, from Mother Jones magazine. Definition of a “mass murder” is in my post there:

9/13/1994 until 9/13/2004:
    13 incidents, 183 killed or injured

9/14/2004 until today:
    28 incidents 456 killed or injured

18. zumiee said, on December 24, 2012 at 11:30 am

The 49ers continue to be a wildly inconsistent team. Which 49er team will show up on a given game-day? Who knows? No one knows.

19. zumiee said, on December 24, 2012 at 11:42 am

I haven’t been able to watch much of the Warrors success. My local DirectTV decided that the Kings were my local team, so Warrior games are blacked out on my Comcast Sports. So, I get to watch DeMarcus Cousins act out his persecution complex. Well, he’s suspended by the Kings now, so that takes care of that for a while.

• blade3colorado said, on December 24, 2012 at 11:53 am

I just traded his ass, along with Jeff Teague and Greg Monroe, whom have both underperformed this year, for LaMarcus Aldridge, JaVale McGee, and Kemba Walker. Cousins is a complete idiot and this is his 2nd suspension this year. Dude has a history of being obstinate and not following rules since High School. He also has no idea what the word apology means, despite always apologizing for his actions. He either doesn’t mean it; or, he says “I’m sorry,” but there usually is a “yeah, but . . . ” attached, which makes his apology meaningless. Another dumb fuck basketball player that has no idea about how short his career is. Dollars to donuts, that he spends all his money on broads and bling, where he’ll be on welfare five years after retirement.

• zumiee said, on December 24, 2012 at 12:27 pm

Yeah, I don’t get it. A young talented player, a wide-open future in front of him, and yet he’s a surly sour-faced guy all time, who acts appalled that there is an opposing team on the court trying to stop him from doing whatever he wants to do, and who has contempt for his coaches and the referees. His career is probably going to be ruined by his own overwhelming sense of entitlement.

20. shaman138 said, on December 24, 2012 at 2:54 pm

Make it NOT okay for a guy running in from third to turn himself into a human missle and launch himself at the catcher. Also, make close calls reviewable. And please, please, PLEASE, don’t bring the DH to the NL.

21. snarkk said, on December 24, 2012 at 5:52 pm

1. No DH in the NL, ever.
    2. Close first base out/safe calls reviewable at request of protesting manager. As many times a game as he wants to protest them, with no penalty if upheld by reviewer.
    3. No more than two intentional walks in a game, per team, including xtra innings. Fans pay to see a guy hit, not get walked ad nauseum like Bonds. Adds some more strategy to the use of the IW, too.
    4. No ump “warning” to the teams for throwing at somebody, until at least each team throws at a guy. You can’t let one team hit a guy, then immediately give the “warning”, which does not allow the other team to retaliate, and end the situation naturally. It incentivizes one team to get over on another by being the first to throw at somebody.

22. snarkk said, on December 24, 2012 at 5:53 pm

Merry Christmas!…

23. blade3colorado said, on December 24, 2012 at 6:18 pm

Yeah, Merry Christmas ya mugs! Oh, one last thing . . . For you frickin’ gun nuts, REMEMBER that it’s Christmas Eve, so the old bearded fat guy in the red suit sauntering around your living room is NOT stealing presents, but delivering them. Got that? Same deal with the Reindeer outside – DON’T SHOOT THEM!

As you were . . .

24. Flavor said, on December 24, 2012 at 7:57 pm

Flappers— I’d like to toss out a possible record: it took me 10.5 hours to drive from Palo Alto to Reno on Saturday. Besides the snow and rain (I have snow tires so I didn’t get flagged for chains) we were behind two fatalities, each stopping us for an hour with the second one happening about 10 minutes after they let us back on I-80. Crazy…..
    I don’t really care much about the DH. I’m resigned to it taking over the National league, probably in a couple of years. I don’t particularly like watch the super fat/out of shape DH’s hit, but other than that, I don’t mind it……
    And I would change everything about the plate blocking/player missile current rules and implement something that makes sense. Here’s the blog post I wrote a year ago:

25. twinfan1 said, on December 24, 2012 at 8:19 pm

Just doing a quick check, last time Giants, Warriors,and Niners were all in the playoffs was—–,
    1971!!!! This refers to the year the season began, in other words, it was the 1971/72 Warriors (lost to Bucks 4-1 in first round of playoffs), 1971 Niners ( beat Redskins 24-20. lost to Cowboys 14-3), 1971 Giants (lost to Bucs in NLCS 4-1)
    So we’ve got a real good shot, it’s up to Biedren’s Ballers ( sorry about that)
    And correct me if I’m wrong, remember it’s the year the season began. ’71 was the year George Foster was traded for Frank Duffy and Vern Geishert, BTW…Duffy had 2 RBI in a Giant’s uniform, Vern never pitched in the bigs after the trade…. If I recall, Foster did pretty well..

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 452 other followers