Have A Merry (Giants) Christmas!!!

Posted in Uncategorized by snarkk on December 24, 2012

Merry Christmas

Flappers …

IMG_3604

From Snarkk, Mrs. Snarkk, the Snarkkettes and the Snarkkdog

_______________________________________________________-

Updated by Flavor:

Hey guys. Merry Christmas. Sorry, I couldn’t remember how to upload a photo within a comment so I am posting this in the main thread instead. Snarkk, your post today and the story behind it brought tears to me this morning.

I just have a quick story to tell. The morning of the mass murder in Newtown, I arrived at my office around 7am and there was a small package at the doorstep. I opened it to find a handmade ornament that was quite striking. It was clear glass designed to look like a pine cone with snow on the top. Inside you can see a string of pine needles. An auxiliary group gave it to me as a *thank you* for a donation I made to a local non-profit. I put it aside and started my normal day.

Around 11am I checked CNN.com and started to read the horrific details coming out of Newtown, Conn. Just like everyone else, I have struggled greatly with comprehending the depth of this tragedy. To be honest, it has consumed me…..Anyway, when I went home that night I put the new ornament on the tree and said a prayer for all of the people who lost someone that day. The ornament itself looks a little out of place on our tree next to the more traditional ones we have on it. But I promised myself that night that I will hang this ornament every year in honor of the Newtown families who lost a loved one on that terrible day and say a prayer for them. And that’s gonna have to be a pretty big prayer. Because the one thing that I have taken from this event is that *Newtown* has become *Ourtown*. The only way to try to move past what happened is to come together with those close to you, both in and out of whatever you call your *community*, and love them harder than you did the day before. And continue to do that every day. Coming to believe this is the only way I’ve found myself able to overcome the unspeakable hate that unfolded that day. (I got the *love harder* theme from the article The Dead wrote about Flannery in SI)…..

Here’s a pic of our tree (it’s a cool pic, in the reflection of the window it makes it appear as if we have lit trees planted all over our backyard outside):

tree11

And here is a close up pic of the ornament :

newtown26

I woke up a couple of hours ago, and in fact, my daughter still isn’t up yet (it’s 7:30am right now). She’s 10 and I know that this was the last year I get out of her believing in Santa. She and her friends have coordinated a *letter plot* to find out once and for all if he’s actually *real*. I won’t go into it here but it’s a fantastically organized scheme and it will surely yield them the answers they seek. When I got up this morning to make coffee, I looked at the undisturbed lit tree shining in the darkness of the room and got overwhelmed with the emotions of a little piece of my daughter’s innocence dying today. And then I did what I promised myself I’d do on the day of the Newtown massacre: I thought of ways to *love her harder* today. Merry Christmas Flappers. I love and value the community that you all have created here. I wish all of you peace and happiness and above all, please convey to the loved ones in your life how much you care about them, how much you love them and how much you value them. There are so many families in Newtown this morning who had that stolen from them, forever……

About these ads

1. snarkk said, on December 24, 2012 at 10:21 pm

Flappers, we were blessed again this year with the greatest gift of all for baseball fans, a World Series Championship for our favorite squad. For me, a fan of this team now for over 45 years, two such gifts in the space of three years was not within my wildest dreams at the start of 2010. Yet, here I am are looking back on that glorious reality. It has been a pleasure to share with you the trials, tribulations and glory of that story as it was told, day by day.

The photo above shows this beautiful Giants ornament, a total surprise and heartfelt gift to me from Mrs. Snarkk and the Snarkkettes, hanging in its rightful, prominent place on our tree this Christmas Eve. They know how much this team means to me, and I got choked up as I opened and saw the gift, then placed it on the tree. This was shortly after Mrs. Snarkk, earlier this evening, in the bottom of the big ornaments storage box, had found a small box of tiny, crocheted Christmas tree ornaments from my late mother. In it, there was a little note in her handwriting dated Christmas 2000 that said to “put these on your tree when I’m gone”. After we put them on the tree, within minutes we started our gift opening. I opened up what looked like an innocuous little box for me, but instead there pops up the Giants ornament. Together with the other ornament discovery, it was almost too much. Both ornaments provide to me their own, special meanings. A better tandem of gifts, one discovered, one intended, I cannot remember.

As Santa wends his way across the Western Hemisphere chasing the completion of his chores before dawn, we here at the Snarkkden wish all the Flappers and all Giants fans, wherever you are in this world, a great visit from Santa or whomever else you celebrate and revere, and a very safe and Merry Christmas to you and yours…

2. ewisco said, on December 25, 2012 at 2:58 am

well i just finished assembling the never to be sufficiently damned ping pong table. the man zone is nearly complete: coach, TV, ping pong, heavy bag, darts, some chairs and the sports baskets.

Enjoy whatever it is you celebrate. enjoy your loved ones and your time together. I’ll be off to phoenix for my mom in laws 80th celebration so won’t be here much unless i get really bored and check the phone. But all the wisco’s send their hopes for a happy holiday and a better new year.

3. Bozo said, on December 25, 2012 at 7:10 am

Back at ya Snarkk and the rest of the Flap Nation.
    Cheers all!

4. Macdog said, on December 25, 2012 at 9:09 am

Merry Christmas, Flappers!

5. Alleykat said, on December 25, 2012 at 9:42 am

Ho Ho Ho Merry Christmas to all ya Flappers!!!
    And give an extra hug to your kids,wives,husband,hell even just yourself today!!!

6. dirtnrocksnomo said, on December 25, 2012 at 10:27 am

Have a good one folks. Merry Christmas.

7. twinfan1 said, on December 25, 2012 at 10:37 am

Merry Christmas and/or Happy Holidays to all.
    Snarkk: A late Aunt used to make beautiful, delicate ornaments from egg shells. We always hang them as securely as we can, as they’re so special. That was a wonderful story, I’ll bet that the Snarkettes inherit those ornaments one day and tell their children about how special they are..

• snarkk said, on December 25, 2012 at 4:12 pm

They will…

8. PawlieKokonuts said, on December 25, 2012 at 11:02 am

I appreciate the sober, powerful message of this thread illustrating that sports is fine, but there’s a real world out there, and in here, for that matter. As I’ve noted, I was driving down to Stamford when I heard about *Newtown* and later that night stayed two towns away. Add it to one more tragedy wherein we can remember where we were when we heard about it. Moments ago, I got mildly irked at my daughter because she was annoyed I had to disturb her video game by handing her the phone from a Christmas well wisher (it turned out to be her sister). At least the video game was car racing, and not violent. But I calmly reprimanded her, saying I understand the pull of a game (even a baseball game), but no video game is more important than a phone call from a human being. I am not sure what little impression I made. Sigh. Like everyone here, I cannot fathom the horror of *Ourtown* nor should I be able to, someone said to be. But I can pause, breathe, and smile at the miracle of this moment. I understand tears. I cry readily. As noted in WORLD SERIOUS, I bawled at the end of Game 1. But those tears are infinitely different from the tears shed for Newtown/Ourtown — and have little to do with geography. I received the World Series DVD set this morning for Christmas, which will summon more tears, I’m sure.

Thanks for a compelling story, Magnus. Christmas blessings to all who read this. May we be grateful for our lives.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on December 25, 2012 at 11:03 am

. . . and thanks for your story and photos, too, Snarkk, and all others here.

9. twinfan1 said, on December 25, 2012 at 11:19 am

Pawlie, there’s a thread about Newtown on “B “…”What it’s all about”..I think it’s worth reading. I’ll be taking it down after today ( but I’m saving it-alas, I fear this won’t be the last time these atrocities will occur..)

• PawlieKokonuts said, on December 25, 2012 at 11:25 am

I had studiously avoided it but will take a stroll over there. I’m sure there are compelling reflections.

• twinfan1 said, on December 25, 2012 at 11:35 am

Well, sorry you thought my thread was one to avoid.

• twinfan1 said, on December 25, 2012 at 11:40 am

I took it down.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on December 25, 2012 at 11:41 am

My avoiding it had nothing to do with you or anyone; just me. The same kind of avoidance that had me stop reading the profiles of the victims accompanied with photos. It’s not because of bad writing or bad photography. Just the opposite. I merely had no capacity to read further at that moment.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on December 25, 2012 at 11:33 am

Couldn’t resist. Made a comment there just now.

10. PawlieKokonuts said, on December 25, 2012 at 11:39 am

Here is the article at the nytimes about gun makers enhancing their sales via video games [no surprise]:

11. PawlieKokonuts said, on December 25, 2012 at 11:43 am

Mike,
    I hope you did not negate the thread because of my idiosyncratic response. I’m just one person with his own prejudices. See my note at 11:41am.

• twinfan1 said, on December 25, 2012 at 11:52 am

No, it had nothing to do with any comment on that thread. I didn’t read the one you made. After your 11:25 I just decided it was Christmas and to take it down.

• twinfan1 said, on December 25, 2012 at 12:07 pm

If your comment was about gunmakers enhancing their sales via video games, I have zero idea why anyone would even dream that I would support the gun makers on that. I detest the NRA and.the gun manufacturers. Nothing would they do to increase their profits at the expense of human life would suirprise.me. I prefer sweet old ladies who make delicate tree ornaments.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on December 25, 2012 at 12:15 pm

I was just putting it out there to show the fallacy of the NRA view. You and I — and legions of others — are on the “side of the angels” regarding the NRA. (I’m pretty sure that phrase, by the way, came from the Scopes trial.)

• twinfan1 said, on December 25, 2012 at 12:34 pm

Well, I don’t understand why you would think I’d take down the thread because of your remark. Anyway, I’m hardly with the angels. If I’d not joined the military, my hands would be cleaner than they are now. Among other things.
        I want to watch a ballgame, can’t decide whether it’s to be a Niner game or a Giants’ game. Or take a nap. It’s option 3.

• Flavor said, on December 25, 2012 at 11:54 am

I got what you meant. Ok, about to dive into World Serious. Looking forward to reading it Pawlie, the pic on the cover is better than the electronic version, for some reason

• PawlieKokonuts said, on December 25, 2012 at 12:13 pm

I don’t know why…and I paid a designer to do the cover, which over all I love. Enjoy.

12. willedav said, on December 25, 2012 at 12:48 pm

Very nice snarkk. Happy Holidays to all!
    Zum’s POTD points up something that is truly annoying—Cousins and those like him have been enabled by coaches and parents from a very young age. These guys think it’s OK to demand the ball from others because they are best player on the floor, and are allowed to get away with megashit. by the time they get to the NBA where it’s big business to put up as many points as possible, they are no longer coachable.
    One of the hardest things to get across to all young guys is shot selection—what is a good shot with a high pct, and what is the opposite, esp in re game situation such as time, score, etc. So many kids are in love with their dribbling skills and creating for themselves, as opposed to others.
    I had a PG who basically refused to throw the ball to anyone except his buddy, our leading scorer, and yelled “no!” to a kid who had just hit a 3 and took another one. My mentor advised me to sit his ass on the bench and keep him there, and that it would be better if we had to take a loss with him out of there in order to maybe win later. His Dad once told me after these two had missed practice to play with another team that the other kids could practice all day and never be as good as his son.
    Good luck to Smart, but I doubt it works..

13. Flavor said, on December 25, 2012 at 1:11 pm

My daughter is at her cousin’s house doing a *second* Christmas and I’m home alone. God, I love silence. It’s perfect. I only have a couple of hours. Anyway, I just started reading “World Serious” by THE Paul Kocak. I’m only 18 pages in but I am enjoying it immensely.
    And the dedication in the book is the best: “To Craig, and all at The Flap”—
    Many thanks for the shout out Pawlie. And Katie’s grandpa had picked the book up while we were opening presents and he said there’s a chapter detailing our meeting. I can’t wait to read it. Meeting you twice pre-Game 1 World Series’ is starting to become a habit, eh? Some might even call it a pattern. Can’t wait to do it again NEXT year.
    FYI– Katie’s grandpa grew up in Queens and is an enormous Yankee fan to this day. When I told him where you live he got this look on his face that was priceless—it was like he was trying to take someone else’s shit for them. Haha, that’s the first thing I could come up with, there’s probably a better analogy. I tried to explain how you became a Giants fan and I talked a lot about Willie Mays and he finally cut me off and said, “Ok, ok I’ll just read it when you’re done with it and find out for myself.” –New Yorkers. They don’t put up with much, do they? lol

• PawlieKokonuts said, on December 25, 2012 at 6:13 pm

Great to hear. And thanks for the priceless email, Magnus. Would love to meet Katie’s grandpa someday.

14. Sportdude said, on December 25, 2012 at 2:51 pm

Merry Xmas Flappers
    I rec’d framed SI covers of the 2010 and 1012 covers wih Buster arms out to Wilson and Romo from the big sis. Glass holder for my 2010 batting helmet signed by all the 2010 team. I know a guy who knew a guy who got it as a gift and would sell it for $75 bucks. Done deal!

15. snarkk said, on December 25, 2012 at 4:10 pm

BF, here is the link to the famous “Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus” editorial by the New York Sun over a 100 years ago. The reply was to Virginia O’Hanlon, age 8, who wrote the paper to answer the question “Is there a Santa Clause?”, after being told by her “little friends” that there was not. It remains a classic, and whether you believe in Santa or Christmas or something else, it is a testament to hope, the human spirit, and the wonder of children regardless of their backgrounds and beliefs. I read this to both Snarkkettes when the younger was in her final stages of Santa belief. Despite a little confusion over the old style language, she said she got it. I think she did. In the wake of the recent Newtown catastrophe, I read it again, and it gives me some solace, and some hope… http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/25/Yes%2CVirginia%2CThereIsASantaClausClipping.jpg

16. paulinasia said, on December 25, 2012 at 9:17 pm

I was looking for the “B” thread on “What it’s all about” but can’t find it. I just have a non-baseball question about the whole guns discussion but really don’t want to put it here. It involves a show on the Discovery Channel about “American Guns”…. they’re showing it over here, but wondering if they’ve opted to not show it in the US….

17. TedSpe said, on December 25, 2012 at 9:19 pm

Merry Christmas Flavor Nation!!!!

• Flavor said, on December 25, 2012 at 9:38 pm

Read Pawlie’s book today, loved it. I especially enjoyed the line about you two hugging goodbye. Not in a gay way of course, it was just another reminder of the depth and strength of this community. Take care Ted.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on December 25, 2012 at 10:59 pm

We hugged?!

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 499 other followers