Bowl Game Mania

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on December 26, 2012

I’m one of the fans that wants more bowl games, not less. The one positive that came out of my surprise trip up to Tahoe on Sunday (10 hour drive) was that I got to lay down all of this year’s bowl game parlays. Fourteen parlays in all, 3 $ line parlays, 8 four- teamers, 2 five-teamers and a lonely yet promising 6-teamer (which is now a five-teamer after SMU put the smack down on Frez-No State).

I don’t claim to be a college bowl picking guru, but I have enjoyed a bounty of success the last 3 years. So much success that I’ve had 3 straight super bowl Reno trips (including gambling money)  paid for by the generosity of more than a handful of winning (or covering) D-1 programs. With three straight winning years it’s a little much to expect a 4th, but that’s exactly what I’m expecting because I’ve grown accustomed to my yearly Super Bowl trip to Reno and can’t imagine spending my own money on the trip this year.

So, in no real particular order, here are my future winning bowl game bets. Let the insanity ensue……

San Jose State to cover the 7.5 pt spread against Lawn Bowling Green. Yep, their coach bailed but they have a decent team this year and I think the players have something to prove.

Cinn to beat Duke and cover the 7.5 pt spread. Duke sucks.

Baylor to beat UCLA in a pick ‘em.

Rutgers beating Va Tech outright

Rice also won’t need the pts and will beat Air Force.

Syracuse to beat West Virginia in the bowl game created just for them

Navy taking the 14.5 and covering that spread easily vs Arizona State— I actually tried to talk myself into Navy shocking the world in that one but couldn’t pull the trigger and just took the points instead.

Oregon State beating and covering 2.5 v Texas

TCU taking the 2.5 and covering v Michigan State just ’cause

Vandy rolling all up into NC State’s grill and covering 7 pts easily

Georgia Tech to not only cover with their 8 pts but maybe even beating USC. Please, if there is a God, make it so

Tulsa beating Iowa St just cause I need something to do before I go out for the evening on the 31st

I’m not betting on the Cardinal game. I was going to take the Cards and give the points but 1-trick offenses like Wisconsin’s are weird this time of year. Couple that with Stanford suspending one of their best run defenders and I think I’ll just watch this one with my heart pounding out of my chest.

Both the Florida schools to roll

Kansas State to upset Oregon– U of O just doesn’t play the same game in January as they do in the regular season

And Notre Dame to somehow take the 9.5 and cover for me. I hate Notre Dame but I greatly dislike the SEC, too. It would be a great story if the Irish kept this one close and a miracle of miracles if they won the game. And I do think they could win this game…….

All right, that’s it. The fridge is loaded up with Bud Lights, Round Table is on speed dial and I’m good to go for the next couple of weeks……..

About these ads

1. willedav said, on December 26, 2012 at 7:52 am

More bowl games? OK, so today you’ve got not one but two directional schools, Cent Michigan and West Ky playing each other in the same game..
    .sorry about your bet, but to a jose state guy any time fresno loses it’s a good thing. Look, their highly delusional fans have been sure they could compete in the Pac 12 for years, despite the fact that no one from that entire school could even get into one in the first place. They can’t beat boise st. ever, and the other night got rolled by poweful southern methodist. wonder how many of them tried to drive a van to Aloha Stadium?

• Flavor said, on December 26, 2012 at 8:33 am

Willie– I had SMU

• willedav said, on December 26, 2012 at 9:09 am

cool, i misunderstood the post which meant you only needed 5. Hey, shaw came in the store few days ago, and I swear the older daughter (light skin, kind of big hair) is taller than he is.

2. Bozo said, on December 26, 2012 at 8:03 am

LSU over Clemson, book it.

3. chipower9 said, on December 26, 2012 at 8:34 am

I love some college football, but cannot get into the more bowl games. I am of the school of thought that there are too many. I loved the old days when I was a kid and you had maybe 10 or 12 games, tops. I am not saying roll back to only 10 or 12, but I just think there are too many. When you have teams with .500 records making bowl games…

Yesterday was a whirlwind (in a good way). Gail and I were blessed to have all of our kids (and my grand daughter) with us for most of the day, and a wonderful Christmas dinner. Great thread yesterday snarkk and Flavor. Sorry I missed dropping in to wish Flap Nation a joyous and blessed day.

Regardless, you all have touched my heart and soul via this blog. I am thankful for its existence, and the ability it brings for us to share our love of all things San Francisco Giants, and also at times, the other important things in our lives.

With that I wish you and yours a truly blessed, fortuitous, healthful, and happy 2013.

4. zumiee said, on December 26, 2012 at 9:41 am

There’s a lot of bowl games, but I don’t mind. I always end up watching more of them than I think I’m going to. It’s cool for all the players to get to play that extra game, a bowl game, no matter how arcane. It’s a little odd to see so few people in the stands at some of these games. Those particular bowl games are really TV games in the full sense; but that’s alright, football plays very well on TV.
    Baseball does the best it can on TV, but it’s a game that doesn’t fit all that well on the TV screen. It’s still well worth watching on TV, but better at the ballpark. And has a unique charm on the radio. I had to do a fair amount of driving yesterday, and had the joy of listening to the KNBR crew call a 2012 World Series game. Very enjoyable. (Of course, even more enjoyable knowing who was going to win the whole thing.)

5. zumiee said, on December 26, 2012 at 9:49 am

Anyone else watch that ESPN documentary on the U of Miami football program? A classic example where the tail was wagging the dog, as far as a sports program having so much power within a university. It’s hard to keep that from happening, when a team is bringing in so much money for a university. It’s the never-ending quandary with these universities with such high profile teams. Universities are tempted to look the other way when rules and laws get broken….

• blade3colorado said, on December 26, 2012 at 3:12 pm

Yes, I did see that Zumiee. Excellent show, but at times, it seemed like they were romanticizing the team. As Twin indicated below, it’s a disgrace that these football factories are allowed to exist and I will go further, every school that isn’t at least modeled on Stanford, Cal-Berkeley, or another reputable school with high academic requirement standards is failing each and every football player (as well as other athletes, e.g., basketball is another disgrace).

College sports is all about the “Benjamins.”

6. twinfan1 said, on December 26, 2012 at 9:58 am

In response to your question from the previous thread, Paulinasia, I took the thread down. If you are interested in looking at it or commenting, you may do so. I’m not starting a regular blog, no one would go there. Just using it for the occasional sensitive issue, or matters regarding my healh.
    As to college football, the major programs are simply the minor leagues for the NFL. It’s a disgrace. These kids aren’t educated at the schools, if they’re injured, they’re fucked. the NFL should have a paid minor league system, a draft for kids straight out of High School, and most importantly-comprehensive lifetime health care in their minor leagues. Athletes who decide to forego the HS draft are on their own as now, with a college draft for graduating seniors only.

7. Macdog said, on December 26, 2012 at 12:00 pm

Just finished with one of my Christmas presents, Pawlie’s own World Serious. A very pleasant read as PK engages all of our senses throughout his remarkable journey, from the moment he first takes off from Syracuse to the final, poignant scene at AT&T.

Pawlie’s memoir especially resounds with me as a fellow East Coaster and one who’s yearned to take a similar Giants World Series adventure but, unlike PK, hasn’t “pulled the trigger.” So I found myself vicariously re-living the day through Pawlie every step of the way. Also, that glorious Game 1 just happened to fall on my birthday. I suspect I’ll be re-reading this wonderful tale come next Oct. 24.

And Pawlie: “I shake your hand — and salute you, just like Angel Pagan’s trademark gesture.” YOLO!

• chipower9 said, on December 26, 2012 at 12:42 pm

I just started Pawlie’s World Serious…loving it so far.

8. Macdog said, on December 26, 2012 at 2:18 pm

I don’t mind all the bowl games, although they are somewhat emblematic of the “Everyone gets a trophy” mentality. There are too many average teams that have no business still playing football this time of year. And I absolutely miss all the major bowls being played on New Year’s Day and having everything wrapped up by the end of what used to be a day-long orgy of big-time college football.

9. Flavor said, on December 26, 2012 at 3:14 pm

I should have been clear, I’m for more bowl games only from a betting standpoint. Rare is the bowl game that I watch if I don’t have some dough on it–unless it’s the Cardinal or the championship game

10. blade3colorado said, on December 26, 2012 at 3:57 pm

By the by, where the fuck is Ted? Teeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeddddddddddddddddddddddddddd!!!!!!!!!!

• Flavor said, on December 26, 2012 at 4:06 pm

Ted struggles with spontaneous bouts of “Asian Hibernation”–if you aren’t a hot asian chick, he’s not coming out to see you. :) :) :)

• blade3colorado said, on December 26, 2012 at 4:40 pm

Ahhh sooo.

11. zumiee said, on December 26, 2012 at 5:44 pm

Western Kentucky vs. Central Michigan in the Little Caesar’s Bowl in Detroit. So I guess we know how Central Michigan got invited. But the notable thing is that Bobby Petrino is now the coach of Western Kentucky, after getting fired from Arkansas for walking the ol’ Appalachian Trail.

• zumiee said, on December 26, 2012 at 5:44 pm

The logo on the W. Kentucky helmets? It’s a hand clutching a red towel.

• zumiee said, on December 26, 2012 at 5:46 pm

Brian Kelly, the Notre Dame headcoach, used to be the headcoach at C. Michigan.

• Flavor said, on December 26, 2012 at 5:49 pm

this is one of the games I’m not watching. Yes, because I don’t have any dough on it….
        It’s surprising how much more entertaining a sports event between two teams you could care less about gets after you drop a few duckets on the game.
        Tomorrow is when all my bowl game fun starts…….
        BTW Zumie, I reviewed Kokonuts book at Amazon. Are you going to give it one at goodreads? I’m curious to see what you thought about it. I enjoyed it a lot, thought it was better than ‘Starry Night’ (probably because of my attention span problems :) )

• zumiee said, on December 26, 2012 at 5:56 pm

Yeah, I’m going to do a Goodreads review; I was waiting for Goodreads to get the book on their files. I’ll check again on that.

12. zumiee said, on December 26, 2012 at 5:48 pm

I’m officially onboard with Notre Dame winning their game over Alabama. It’s a lesser-of-two-evils kind of thing.

• Flavor said, on December 26, 2012 at 5:55 pm

I’ve got 3 of my parlays ending with ND covering and I’ve got another ML parlay with them, gulp, winning. Oh my.
      And i could totally see it. They have a good team. It’s not deep like ‘Bama but there are players on that team. If their defense can keep it close, and I don’t see why they can’t, maybe they steal it late……..
      Everyone yaps about the level of competition in the SEC but Notre Dame played a bunch of good teams this year and they’re undefeated. Well, the got the W v the Cardinal but we ALL know that was a suspect win. :)

13. twinfan1 said, on December 26, 2012 at 6:18 pm

Any good DIY mouse repellents that have worked for anybody?No traps. Mickey used to be a good mouser, now I think he gives them names.

• Flavor said, on December 26, 2012 at 6:34 pm

*gives them names*, that’s funny. We have 2 male cats who are about 6 years old and they’ve been executing everything that moves up here— and we are in the hills just a bit so that means bunnies, birds, snakes, rats, mice, gophers…I think that’s all I’ve had to clean up. The bunnies are the worst cause they’re so cute (or they WERE until their heads got eaten off) and the rats are the hardest for me to scoop up cause I fucking HATE the rat tail.
      I put ‘em on a shovel, go outside and throw them as far as I can over a tree down the hill. I never go down the hill to see what’s going on down there. We’ve lived here for about 7 years, I’d like to think that the birds *vacuum* the hill. Either that or there about 1000 dead animal skeletons 75 feet from my backyard. The worst is if I don’t get it over the tree, if it catches the tree then it can sometimes hang on to a branch like a tennis shoe strung up on a telephone line…
      Um, what was your question? Sorry, major tangent unfolded there…….

• TedSpe said, on December 26, 2012 at 9:23 pm

Uhm…eww

• chipower9 said, on December 27, 2012 at 7:01 am

Ted comes out only for hot asian chicks and stories of decapitated animals…lqtm…

14. twinfan1 said, on December 26, 2012 at 6:42 pm

There are lots of suggestions on line for natural repellents- mothballs, spearmint, dryer sheets- just wondering if anyone has used anything that worked. Sealing them out is not an option in our 1920’s era home.

15. tedspe said, on December 26, 2012 at 9:36 pm

There is not a day that I don’t read oneflapdown77. Not a day. But lately there have been so many topics that I cannot comment.
    I write this not to complain, merely to explain if anyone thinks the unthinkable…that I’ve gone.
    No, sir. I’m always a part of the Flavor Nation Flapper Society.
    Just haven’t had anything to say that I felt would begin, add to or compliment a thread.
    But I’m still here, lads.
    Always have been, always will.
    But Bowl Games? Really?
    See, just not my thing.
    However, I’m reading a memoir about Lyle Talbot written by his daughter that’s really great. If anyone wants to join me (twin’s probably the only one, maybe Pawlie, who knows who this actor was/is) surely..I’ll be all over that. I read the papers. I’m glad Stanford is in the Rose Bowl. Since our Captain Flav is a Stanford fan.
    But I’m lost on one thing.
    Why is twinfan suddenly twinfan1?
    I missed this particular juxtoposition (sic)
    (gay-ass-smiley-face)

• chipower9 said, on December 27, 2012 at 7:06 am

Good to know you are still out there, Ted. Steve (blade) inquired about you earlier on this thread. I can relate…once baseball season is over, I’ll check-in every day on the Flap, but can go days without commenting. Anyway…glad to know you are well and still Flappin.

• twinfan1 said, on December 27, 2012 at 9:05 am

twinfan1@hotmail.com was always one of my Email accounts. I don’t really know how it came to be my user name here. But I’m still me, sorry.
      I guess none of you have ever had rodent problems, BTW.Thanks for the suggestions.

• chipower9 said, on December 27, 2012 at 9:40 am

Michael – you mentioned no traps. I used traps effectively (spring with bait) and also the ones that have some sticky goo on them. Both were effective. Never used poisons. My cats were indoor cats, and most of my rodent problem was in the garage. Good luck.

• twinfan1 said, on December 27, 2012 at 9:57 am

Thanks, but I was hoping someone had had some success with a repellent.

16. willedav said, on December 27, 2012 at 8:24 am

Bowl games are cool, tho I’m more a trad old fart type who used to enjoy 4-5 on Jan 1 and be done. I dunno how you are going to square the bowl games and all the $$$ involved with a National Champ. 1-AA has run a 16 team playoff for a long time and they start playing immediately after reg season ends. By 4th week you are down to last two and a champ is crowned—obviously none of the likes of Georgia Southern, Appalachian State or Montana Grizzlies are going bowling.
    Btw, quick shout out to SanDawg—Aztecs look good again. I saw most of the game vs. undefeated AZ played in Hawaii and tecs out played them for a lot of that game even though they lost at the end. Sacto guy Chase Tapley looks really good and he has plenty of help.

17. chipower9 said, on December 27, 2012 at 8:55 am

Interesting read on the HOF vote (and Bonds) by Tim Kawakami. I often disagree with him, and there have been times when he has been on CSNBA and came across as a bit big for his britches, but I do agree on much of his logic re: Bonds. (No, I do not agree with all for whom he voted). Anyway…I thought it an interesting read.

• twinfan1 said, on December 27, 2012 at 9:20 am

I agree with almost none of his votes, but it’s no BFD. The HOF is a joke.But I do enjoy reading him. As I’ve said before, agreeing with everything or even most of what a columnists writes, is not a criteria for me. I’m about 50-50 on Jenkins and he’s easily the best around these parts, and among the best anywhere. IMO.

• chipower9 said, on December 27, 2012 at 9:43 am

Agree on your criteria re: columnists, in general. I do agree with him re: Bonds. And I agree Jenkins is one of the best. I also enjoy Ann Killion (she has said she will not vote for Bonds).

• twinfan1 said, on December 27, 2012 at 10:05 am

i do agree on Bonds and PED use would never be factor for me anyway.

18. Macdog said, on December 27, 2012 at 10:03 am

Fun read from Jayson Stark, following up his equally amusing take on the regular season:

• chipower9 said, on December 27, 2012 at 12:04 pm

Thanks, Mac…fun read. My favorite part:

“While we’re on the subject of the postseason, the Giants’ Strangest But Truest Postseason Feat of the Year was this: They could just as easily have won NO games in October as won the World Series (let alone swept it). How did that happen, you ask?

• They lost Games 1 and 2 of the division series. At home. By a combined score of 14-2. Then they headed for Cincinnati, one loss from elimination, and picked THAT game to be no-hit into the sixth inning, to have one hit in the first nine innings and to strike out 16 times all together — and they WON. In extra innings. On an unearned run. Hey, of course they did.”

I mean really, to dig holes twice where you have to win three straight? And then SWEEP the fucking World Series.

I still reflect on that frequently and just bask bask bask.

• snarkk said, on December 27, 2012 at 12:17 pm

Here’s another from Stark’s article. I really enjoy his writing, maybe it has something to do with he actually writes about the Giants, often in detail. No other ESPN writer pays half the attention to them. The following is pretty amazing stuff. Not sure if his 234 consecutive misses the fact that Detroit went ahead in Game 4 on Cabrera’s wind blown HR to RF, but nonetheless, really mind blowing pitching after they got down 3-1 to the Cards. We definitely will not see the like of such a string of 2 series comebacks again…

“After the Giants fell behind the Cardinals in the NLCS three games to one, they won every game they played. They outscored the Cardinals and Tigers, 36-7. They sent 234 consecutive hitters to the plate without any of them having to hit with their team trailing. Their pitching staff compiled an ERA of 0.98. And their starters gave up a TOTAL of five runs in seven starts — or as many as Verlander allowed in the first four innings of Game 1 of the World Series.”

• chipower9 said, on December 27, 2012 at 1:23 pm

I had a bet with an old high school girlfriend on the Card-Giant series. For every game after the Cards took the 3-1 series lead, she was so fucking smug. I just kept saying something to the effect “hey, one day, one game at a time.” She was devistated when our Giants finally closed out the series. And the way they did it was sweet poetic justice…Scutaro catching Matt Fuckhead Holliday’s pop-up to end the series.

19. snarkk said, on December 27, 2012 at 12:38 pm

Buster Olney of ESPN had his first offseason “power rankings” come out for MLB after the flurry of early deal making. Amazingly, as of Dec. 18, after winning 2 of 3 WSeries, he and ESPN finally had the Giants now #1. We’re doomed…

20. Alleykat said, on December 27, 2012 at 1:43 pm

Your time Chi at the end of the Cards series to be “Smug” at her!!

• chipower9 said, on December 27, 2012 at 2:17 pm

Actually, I was very humble (we still had to play the Tigers in the WS). There just did not seem to be a need to be braggart or anything…just quiet satisfaction in what our “Little Team That Could” did.

21. zumiee said, on December 27, 2012 at 1:54 pm

For what it’s worth here’s Bleacher Reports’ picks for the 2013 divisions.
    My feeling on it is it’s been working to the Giants’ benefit when people underestimate them.
    AL East – Blue Jays
    AL Central – Tigers
    AL West – Angels
    NL East – Nationals
    NL Central – Reds
    NL West – Dodgers

• snarkk said, on December 27, 2012 at 2:20 pm

I was not impressed by the Tigers. Not just the way the Giants rolled them 4-0 in games. Just did not look like a great combination of players. Slow, not great athletes in the OF. Pen was not impressive compared to the Cards, not even close. Tigers might come in third in the NL West next season, if they were in that division…

22. Flavor said, on December 27, 2012 at 3:13 pm

Very happy for the SJ State Spartans who look to be on their way to a bowl win. That program has come a long way…..

• Macdog said, on December 27, 2012 at 4:39 pm

And you’re off to a good start, although Cincy isn’t looking too sharp.

• Macdog said, on December 27, 2012 at 6:04 pm

And Cincy’s turning it around!

23. Bozo said, on December 27, 2012 at 7:20 pm

I’m not sure if anyone has posted this article from Richard Justice on MLB.com yet. The title of the article is “The Giants Shouldn’t Be Overlooked Again”. Something everyone here already knows but gratifying just the same.

• blade3colorado said, on December 27, 2012 at 8:31 pm

Excellent column by Justice. Thanks Clown. :-)

• snarkk said, on December 27, 2012 at 8:59 pm

Finally, after 2 out of 3 years a WS winner, these national writers are getting biotch slapped, and are saying, “hey, those Giants, they’re pretty damn good”. Screw ‘em. Looking forward to another interesting year, and hopefully one that has few injuries. I think we’re back on track for a year with few injuries, and that translates to consistent play. If Lincecum at all can bring back better form, things look promising, again. Crawford is a real MLB player now, he won’t have two months of defensive suckage, plus he’ll hit .250, at least. Scutaro around all year to swing the bat in the #2 hole, and shore up second, and keep the young guys taking good ABs. Panda, no more hamate bones. Pence, he can’t be that bad again, can he? And, even that wasn’t that bad, he had a lot of RBIs. Bullpen as good as ever…

• Nipper said, on December 28, 2012 at 2:07 am

Snarkk in a good mood?

• chipower9 said, on December 28, 2012 at 10:21 am

Nice…I like the breakdown and agree whole-heartedly with just about every aspect of it.

24. willedav said, on December 28, 2012 at 8:26 am

2:07 AM post, Nip? Get some rest , brutha. Just read one of those yahoo mini articles on those who live to be 100, and getting 8 hours of sleep every night was something they talked about. I try and remind my friend’s kids (one in HS one in middle school) how important it is too, for what they are going to demand out of their minds and bodies (both play b-ball and do orchestra) every day. Get enough rest so you can be at your best.

• chipower9 said, on December 28, 2012 at 10:25 am

The flip-side of that is the old (emphasis on “old”) Taoist philosophers and masters who slept very little.

25. twinfan1 said, on December 28, 2012 at 8:57 am

Ahh, what a pleasure it would be to sleep just when and for as long as you like.

26. Salty said, on December 28, 2012 at 9:18 am

So true. I drove 11 hrs from Arizona yesterday, went to sleep around 9:30, was wide awake at 2:30 after tossing around, got up at 5 and now I’m cranky as hell. Get the f— outta my way shoppers, the girlfriend didn’t go for the gauzy leopard print lingerie.

Merry Christmas everyone.

• chipower9 said, on December 28, 2012 at 10:27 am

LMAO on the leopard print lingerie…

try drawing her a hot bubble bath, and provide a really nice glass of wine (or her favorite beverage), and some nice dark chocolate (or other item she really enjoys)…I have found this the MOST effective over lingerie or anything else…

• twinfan1 said, on December 28, 2012 at 10:48 am

I thoiught you were talking about Nip for a second there.Hey, it’s tough guys. You try getting a solid 8 in VW van in a Tenderloin alley with Soph, her parakeet, and Vlae Kershner. You drink until you pass out. Time means nothing..

27. chipower9 said, on December 28, 2012 at 10:34 am

Knew I should not have went with UCLA…I watched Baylor a bit this year (as I am an OU college football fan), and should have known better. Sitting 7-4 after last night.

I’ve got Louisiana-Monroe, Rutgers, and Texas Tech in today’s games.

28. twinfan1 said, on December 28, 2012 at 11:18 am

I’ve been a bit out of touch myself lately- are we going with JTO or Hill this weekend?

• Alleykat said, on December 28, 2012 at 12:10 pm

Heard Scott Bull or Gio Carmazzi Twin…

29. Flavor said, on December 28, 2012 at 12:46 pm

Well I’m 4-0 but will be moving to 4-1once UL Monroe losses. I thought they had a good qb. He’s had a couple of nice runs but his passes are a million miles off target…..

• Bozo said, on December 28, 2012 at 1:02 pm

If the contest was fishing, hunting or cooking up a storm, I’d take Monroe no matter the point spread. Football? Well it is played with the ol’ pigskin so maybe.

• chipower9 said, on December 28, 2012 at 2:07 pm

I saw a bit of that game during lunch…was NOT impressed with ULM’s QB. I do not have any parlays going as you do, Craig, but am in a pool for ALL the bowl games ($20 buy-in…winner takes all).

• Flavor said, on December 28, 2012 at 2:35 pm

Well I’ve got 14 parlays, UL-Monroe only knocked on of them out but it was going to be a winning 4 teamer so that hurt a little bit.

30. zumiee said, on December 28, 2012 at 1:26 pm

With its problems, there were still some entertaining NBA games recently. The Clippers have become must-see TV.
    I was surprised that Avery Johnson got fired from the Nets. Maybe it was his voice? It’s one of those voices that’s got to be pretty grating after a while.
    Anyone else see that Wayman Tisdale documentary on the NBA network? Very well done. And, although I detest Toby Keith’s music career, he is a real cool dude in the documentary, a friend of Tisdale’s, and he sings a real nice tribute song about Tisdale at the end of the film.

• zumiee said, on December 28, 2012 at 1:32 pm

• chipower9 said, on December 28, 2012 at 2:14 pm

Did not see the Tisdale documentary, but will look for it. Was always impressed with Wayan from his days at OU (yeah, I’m a Sooner through and through), and after that, his days with the Kings. Tisdale and Mitch Richmond were quite the force for the couple of years that Tisdale was a King. I knew he left the NBA to focus on his musical career, but I never really followed that, as smooth jazz isn’t my cup of tea. Anyway…thanks, Zumie…will try to check out the tribute.

• blade3colorado said, on December 28, 2012 at 2:16 pm

He would still have a job, except for the fact that he was making too much noise about a long term deal. Pfffft!
      They got rid of him.

31. zumiee said, on December 28, 2012 at 2:08 pm

The New York Times non-fiction bestseller list this week.
    2 Lincolns, a Jefferson, 2 Kennedys, Jesus, Neil Young, Nate Silver, Willie Nelson, Bruce Springsteen, and more….

2 PROOF OF HEAVEN, by Eben Alexander. (Simon & Schuster.) A neurosurgeon recounts his near death experience during a coma from bacterial meningitis. 9
    1 KILLING KENNEDY, by Bill O’Reilly and Martin Dugard. (Henry Holt & Company.) The host of “The O’Reilly Factor” recounts the events surrounding the assassination of John F. Kennedy. 12
    3 THOMAS JEFFERSON, by Jon Meacham. (Random House Publishing.) The Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist celebrates Jefferson’s skills as a practical politician. 6
    4 KILLING LINCOLN, by Bill O’Reilly and Martin Dugard. (Henry Holt & Company.) The host of “The O’Reilly Factor” recounts the assassination of Abraham Lincoln. 64
    5 NO EASY DAY, by Mark Owen with Kevin Maurer. (Penguin Group.) An account of the mission that killed Osama bin Laden, by a former member of the Navy SEALs, writing pseudonymously. 16
    6 TEAM OF RIVALS, by Doris Kearns Goodwin. (Simon & Schuster.) The political genius of Abraham Lincoln, revealed in his relationship with his cabinet; originally published in 2005. 7
    7 AMERICA AGAIN, by Stephen Colbert, Richard Dahm, Paul Dinello, Barry Julien, Tom Purcell et al.. (Grand Central Publishing.) The mock pundit of Comedy Central’s “Colbert Report” tells how to bring America back from the brink. 7
    9 UNBROKEN, by Laura Hillenbrand. (Random House Publishing.) An Olympic runner’s story of survival as a prisoner of the Japanese in World War II. 100
    Sunday Book Review | Books of The Times Review
    8 THE SIGNAL AND THE NOISE, by Nate Silver. (Penguin Group.) An examination of predictions, the ones that come true and the ones that don’t. 11
    HEAVEN IS FOR REAL, by Todd Burpo with Lynn Vincent. (Thomas Nelson.) A father recounts his 3-year-old son’s encounter with Jesus and the angels during an appendectomy. 91
    Related Article
    10 BEHIND THE BEAUTIFUL FOREVERS, by Katherine Boo. (Random House Publishing.) A journalist reports on families striving for better lives in a Mumbai slum. 6
    13 ROLL ME UP AND SMOKE ME WHEN I DIE, by Willie Nelson. (HarperCollins Publishers.) The musician muses on family, friends, Texas and life on the road. 5
    12 BRUCE, by Peter A. Carlin. (Simon & Schuster.) A biography of Bruce Springsteen looks at his family, his music and his drive for fame and influence. 5
    14 WAGING HEAVY PEACE, by Neil Young. (Penguin Group.) The rocker’s memoir ranges over his personal life and his music. 8
    WILD, by Cheryl Strayed. (Knopf Doubleday Publishing.) A woman’s account of a life-changing 1,100-mile hike along the Pacific Crest Trail. 31
    Also Selling

UNDERWATER DOGS, by Seth Casteel (Little, Brown & Company)
    THE LAST LION, by William Manchester and Paul Reid (Little, Brown & Company)
    THE PATRIARCH, by David Nasaw (Penguin Group)
    THE ONION BOOK OF KNOWN KNOWLEDGE, by The Onion (Little, Brown & Company)
    THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL GUIDE, by Max Brooks (Crown Publishing)
    IN THE GARDEN OF BEASTS, by Erik Larson (Crown Publishing)
    A HIGHER CALL, by Adam Makos with Larry Alexander (Penguin Group)
    FAR FROM THE TREE, by Andrew Solomon (Scribner)
    QUIET, by Susan Cain (Crown Publishing)
    TAP DANCING TO WORK, by Carol J. Loomis (Penguin Group)
    STEVE JOBS, by Walter Isaacson (Simon & Schuster)
    THE DUCK COMMANDER FAMILY, by Willie & Korie Robertson with Mark Schlabach (Howard Books)
    THE END OF THE LINE, by Glenn Thrush and Jonathan Martin (Random House Publishing)
    THE POWER OF HABIT, by Charles Duhigg (Random House Publishing)
    THE JOY OF HATE, by Greg Gutfeld (Crown Publishing)
    IS EVERYONE HANGING OUT WITHOUT ME?, by Mindy Kaling (Crown Publishing)
    WHO I AM, by Pete Townshend (HarperCollins Publishers)
    OUTLAW PLATOON, by Sean Parnell with John R. Bruning (HarperCollins Publishers)
    SERIOUSLY … I’M KIDDING, by Ellen DeGeneres (Grand Central Publishing)
    JESUS OF NAZARETH: THE INFANCY NARRATIVES, by Joseph Ratzinger (Doubleday Religious Publishing)

• blade3colorado said, on December 28, 2012 at 2:14 pm

I’m all in with “The Zombie Survival Guide.”

• chipower9 said, on December 28, 2012 at 2:19 pm

I have “No Easy Day” and “Waging Heavy Peace”…both are in my queue (on the nightstand). Right now I am reading Pawlie’s “World Serious,” while at the same time finishing up Edward Abbey’s “Down the River.”

• Macdog said, on December 28, 2012 at 4:14 pm

What’s next for O’Reilly: Killing Garfield or Killing McKinley?

32. snarkk said, on December 28, 2012 at 3:13 pm

I have no interest in bowl games beyond the Rose and the Super. Maybe the BCS champ game, but even that is low level interest. If they had an 8-team playoff for the college championship, that would be different. I’d watch those games. IMO, a computer picking 2 teams to play for the title is ridiculous. Oregon lost one game, at home, in OT, creamed everybody else. Alabama lost once. So, Alabama gets the BCS champ game, and Oregon gets — some other bowl? Why? The top SEC teams usually play 3 dogmeat non-league teams early, plus the low-level SEC teams on their schedules generally suck. You should earn it via a playoff. How would it be if we had a computer pick the Super Bowl teams out of the division and wild card teams? Yeah, that would be fantastic. So, bowl season is just noise to me. However, I heard on the radio where USC was an hour and half or more late to a big dinner for the Sun Bowl, so the other team (don’t remember) got PO’d and LEFT the big soire before SC showed up. I guess SC isn’t too excited about playing in El Paso. That’s the most interesting nugget I’ve heard about a bowl so far…

• Nipper said, on December 28, 2012 at 3:28 pm

I just got back my cable, so let the noise begin!

• snarkk said, on December 28, 2012 at 5:57 pm

Who took it?…

33. eddacker said, on December 28, 2012 at 3:25 pm

I am in a queue for Niel Young’s book from my local library. Should be here soon. World Serious was a good read, I should give it a review soon. I like reading off the literary awards lists like Booker, Turner or Costa.

The Costa Book Awards (before 2006 known as the Whitbread Awards) are among the United Kingdom’s most prestigious literary awards. These are for 2011; 2012 winners are announced early in Feburary. A most excellent place to find excellent reading. When I am doing a lot of reading I often read several on the list. this years list is here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_Costa_Book_Awards

Book of the Year

Winner: Andrew Miller, Pure

Shortlist:

Julian Barnes, The Sense of an Ending
    John Burnside, A Summer of Drowning
    Louisa Young, My Dear I Wanted to Tell You

Biography
    Winner: Matthew Hollis, Now All Roads Lead to France: The Last Years of Edward Thomas

Shortlist:

Julia Blackburn, Thin Paths: Journeys In and Around an Italian Mountain Village
    Patrick Cockburn & Henry Cockburn, Henry’s Demons: Living with Schizophrenia, A Father and Son’s Story
    Claire Tomalin, Charles Dickens: A Life

Poetry
    Winner: Carol Ann Duffy, The Bees

Shortlist:

David Harsent, Night
    Jackie Kay, Fiere
    Sean O’Brien, November

• Nipper said, on December 28, 2012 at 3:31 pm

Some of you guys are very erudite. Does that mean anything?

• Flavor said, on December 28, 2012 at 4:13 pm

absolutely. It means you’re smarter than the people who aren’t…….

34. Macdog said, on December 28, 2012 at 5:20 pm

Uh-oh Flav, Rutgers is blowing it.

35. snarkk said, on December 28, 2012 at 6:24 pm

Here’s a college strength of schedule list. No clue whether this is super accurate, since they have Cal down for 2-9, when they were 3-9 (hey, a win must be counted even when it’s against an FCS POS team, ha ha). Anyway, Alabama is ranked as 6th toughest schedule, and Oregon 30th, and Kansas State 5th. All have only one loss.

Alabama destroyed three cream puffs (final national rankings): Western Kentucky (#89) Fla Atlantic (#105), and Western Carolina (FCS dogmeat). All three they played AT HOME. Other SEC teams they played that were dogmeat this year were Arkansas (#54), Ole Miss (#28), Tennessee (#57), and Auburn (#72). No way Auburn was that high, they were horrible. That’s 7 guaranteed wins out of 12 games. Here’s Oregon’s schedule, it’s first three are against two creampuffs and Fresno State, which wasn’t bad this year. The rest of the Ducks schedule is Pac 12, including beating a very good Oregon State in Corvallis by 24, no easy feat. http://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/team/oregon-ducks.

So, the Ducks lose to Stanford (20th hardest schedule, lost TWO, ranked 11th) in OT by a FG, and that one Ducks’ loss means they’re down to the 12th ranking, and go to get some Tostitos in the Fiesta bowl against Kansas State, meanwhile Alabama also with one loss (Tex A & M, 4th hardest schedule, lost two) gets to play for the BCS title in Miami? BTW, Notre Dame’s strength of schedule is 28th, so with no losses of course it’s playing for the BCS title. It’s all horse hockey without at least an 8-team playoff…

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 485 other followers