My 2013 Baseball New Year’s Resolutions

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on January 1, 2013

I really don’t have any personal ones. I think resolutions, by and large, are pretty dumb. I don’t need an arbitrary day to make a bunch of proclamations that I’ve got about a 12 to 14.5% chance of keeping. I live by one *resolution*: Try to stay positive and patient in the present. Whether I fail at it or succeed in the moment, that’s how I try to live my life…..

But there’s nothing wrong with making a few baseball-related resolutions, is there?

In 2013 I promise to…….

1) have no expectations for Andres Torres and just appreciate his presence on the team

2) never forget Barry’s Zito’s contributions to the 2012 world series win (no matter how badly he will sometimes pitch in 2013)

3) never write a thread questioning a Bruce Bochy line up

4) not worry about how fat The Panda gets

5) go to at least 5 Giants games. This year I only went to 2 and felt lame about that

6) send Edd and GH their trophies

7) keep The Flap going for at least another full baseball season

8) not ever do again what I did today in the BBOTD widget :)

There are probably others but these 8 will do for now. January is always the darkest month of the year for me. I look to the right and see we only have 43 days to go before P/C’s report but that seems like a long time. And it’s still not actual real baseball games being played. I want to close my eyes and let the sunlight warm my face. I want to smell grass. I want to hear the crisp sound of a ball hitting a mitt perfectly. I want to be part of *the roar*. I wanna high five total strangers…… That’s what I want to do right now.

About these ads

1. eddacker said, on January 1, 2013 at 9:18 am

Don’t fret over my trophy, it’ll cost too much to send. It’s the thought that counts.
    Remember Megan Slankard? The SF gal that sang “I’m a Giant’s Fan”. She had an on-line concert from her home on the night of the 30th. I asked her to sing it again! :)

she also sang the national anthem at a home game.
    a real gamer babe.

• Flavor said, on January 1, 2013 at 12:23 pm

never heard of her but that was a cute song.

• eddacker said, on January 2, 2013 at 2:55 am

I do cute well.
        love the line, “Pablo, 3 home runs, IN ONE GAME!”

• chipower9 said, on January 2, 2013 at 7:06 am

Awesome to see that again. Thanks, Ed.

2. twinfan1 said, on January 1, 2013 at 10:10 am

I make my personal resolutions every day.
    As to baseball, I vow to once again be man enough to admit when others are wrong…(put the smiley face here if you must)
    I vow to never forget that Barry Zito still sucks but to moderately praise him if/when he pitches well and acknowledge that he usually does so when given 14 run leads
    I vow to not nitpick when Posey misses the swipe tag because he takes the throw at the pitcher’s mound
    I vow to resist all attempts to make me take a paternity test to show I’m not Alex Smith’s father
    I vow to point out that Panda and the Freak weigh what two men should weigh, between them that is.
    I vow to point out that, in March of last year I predicted that Herman Cain would not be elected President of the United States
    I vow to wish you all a Happy New Year and hope you know I’m joking about most of this..

• chipower9 said, on January 2, 2013 at 7:08 am

Whew…I was worried there for a moment. Happy New Year to you too, Michael.

• twinfan1 said, on January 2, 2013 at 6:44 pm

Worried about what, Chi?

• chipower9 said, on January 3, 2013 at 7:32 am

Kidding Michael – about your list, that then ended with “…and hope most of you know I’m joking about most of this…”.

But truly, Happy New Year to you and yours.

3. twinfan1 said, on January 1, 2013 at 10:29 am

I made a little blog last week, not as exciting as Blade’s, but just a place if anyone wants to chat about anything at all and where, in future, I’ll deliver any health news- something not lacking in my family-health news that is.Haven’t had a visitor yet, would it help if I said that Nicole Vogelsong will be a regular there? OK, would it help if I *lied* and said that Nicole Vogelsong will be a regular there? Nekkid?

• blade3colorado said, on January 1, 2013 at 7:51 pm

The NRA thread is one of the best conversations – unrelated to baseball – we’ve had here.

• twinfan1 said, on January 2, 2013 at 7:17 pm

And as we can already see, any meaningful legislation will never happen. Hey, let’s give all the kids assault weapons. They’ll kill each other for lunch money and we won’t to worry about wackos.

4. willedav said, on January 1, 2013 at 10:52 am

Bozo, thx for the kermit that was nice. I’ve never cared much for wynton either, so I was surprised his set on NPR sounded so good, tho maybe the material and the other players had more to do with it.
    I did pick up a cd version of a 1983 recording I had on vinyl by Johnny coles with Frank Wess, “Two at the Top”. JC is on flugelhorn and they do a hauntingly beautiful version of “Ill wind.” Unfortunately, on the CD the record co. got greedy and added extra versions of 2 or 3 cuts plus a second cd of a live recording done with entirely different rhythm section 5 years later…result being the price went way up.

• Bozo said, on January 1, 2013 at 12:06 pm

Willie, for a what the hell moment and non New Orleans music interlude – Dinah Washington’s version of Summertime (Dinah Jams). With Maynard Ferguson, Clifford Brown Clark Terry and Max on drums.
      Thinking about the dog days of summer no doubt.

• Bozo said, on January 1, 2013 at 12:10 pm

Dinah doesn’t sing on this tune, it’s really just a showcase for Maynard. By the way, the rest of the LP is brilliant, if you haven’t heard it, I suggest checking it out.

5. ewisco said, on January 1, 2013 at 11:15 am

Happy New Year to all!! Blade, I used to hang out at the infirmary back in the day. my buddies and i swore that our cars knew the way home. One day i was in the place and i realized that my girlfriend from college just walked into the place. Since i went to school in NYC and this was a dive bar in Mountain View, you can imagine my surprise. of all the gin joints in all the world . . .

• blade3colorado said, on January 1, 2013 at 4:49 pm

I remember one night coming from the either the Odyssey Room or some other “disco” like joint, in my best John Travolta Saturday Night Fever disco clothes (which I am ashamed to say I wore back in the early 1980s), long hair to my shoulders, and I got cold cocked in St. James Infirmary. The MOFO ran away and I chased after him, but I slipped while running down the street – fucking platform shoes – so he got away. I went to that bar for two weeks straight, every night, hoping for that piece of shit to show up. He never did. :-)

• chipower9 said, on January 2, 2013 at 7:19 am

LMAO…can just picture you in your disco duds with platforms…too damned funny.

• blade3colorado said, on January 2, 2013 at 7:26 am

Like I said Chi, I thought once, twice, three times about posting that. Ha. Yeah, that period of my life was a hoot.

• chipower9 said, on January 2, 2013 at 10:10 am

Hey – while I never got into the disco scene, I did once own a pair of platform shoes. Looking back on those days, like you say, is a hoot!

6. eddacker said, on January 1, 2013 at 11:39 am

edddddacker BB resolutions

I promise to write a thank you note to ESPN when they start showing as many Giants games as they do NY

Help keep the Flap fully functional

Fix my computer so I can see ComCast video and keep up with my team better

Cheer the defense and ignore the bottom of the order offense

Keep-up my bromance with Belt

Pray BW has a full recovery – wherever he is playing

And I promise not to cry if Timmeh doesn’t improve over 2012

• twinfan1 said, on January 1, 2013 at 2:58 pm

What’s wrong with your computer?

• eddacker said, on January 2, 2013 at 2:50 am

It’s a flash thing, I believe. Chrome is sensitive. 95% of sites I have no problems viewing videos. Comcast is one of the sites where I cannot. At first I thought they were blocked because I am in the UK, but comcast support assures me that is not the problem. I have tried with other browsers to no avail. my HDD is getting old and I am thinking of buying a new one and rebuilding, but I have a big powerful desktop with lots of installed programs so I am hesitant.
        Cheers, mate

• twinfan1 said, on January 2, 2013 at 6:56 pm

If you’re happy with the rest of your hardware you could do an image of your drive and clone it to a new hard drive.
        This is very very good and free

7. pawliekokonuts said, on January 1, 2013 at 2:04 pm

I’m pretty terrible at resolutions. I don’t like them. Maybe it’s because more than 30 years ago I’d tell the world, “I’m really gonna stop being a drunken asshole. Really. I mean it this time.” And that would last 90 days maximum, usually a lot less. So, counterintuitively I had success in that area of my life by not making resolutions. NEVERTHELESS, I LOVE THESE NEW YEAR’S RESOLUTIONS, MAGNUS. They are fun to read, and a treat to ponder on a cold winter’s day.

Happy New Year’s, Flapper Nation!

8. ewisco said, on January 1, 2013 at 3:47 pm

Jesus H Christ but that stanford D needs to get it’s shit together chop chop. Freaking Tarpley has the ball go through his hands!! ARGGGGHHHH!!

9. ewisco said, on January 1, 2013 at 5:07 pm

Hogan is killing the cardinal.

• Flavor said, on January 1, 2013 at 5:51 pm

He played ok.
      And now, I-b-a-s-k.
      A winter-b-a-s-k?
      A Rosey-B-A-S-K
      I-B-A-S-K

Cardinal…………

• ewisco said, on January 1, 2013 at 6:01 pm

It all looks better with a SWEET win but he was driving us nuts with the high passes. And now, a reprise of xmas dinner: Beef tenderloin, twice baked potatoes, asparagus with hollandaise and popovers. Cholesterol, thy nickname is wisco.

10. Alleykat said, on January 1, 2013 at 6:09 pm

Happy New Years Flappers….Just got back from Reno,awesome ski-en at Northstar!! Lots of fresh powder.Made a few hundred at the El Darado playing Blackjack.Always a plus as well.BF that #8 resolution is down right scary.I’m snow blinded by her looks!
    Great fireworks show at midnight at The El Darado,Silver Legacy,Grand Sierra,Atlatis,Pepper Mill etc off their roof-tops!!!:-(

11. twinfan1 said, on January 1, 2013 at 6:47 pm

There’s an impish video of the Clown’s late friend, take a look,

• Bozo said, on January 1, 2013 at 7:23 pm

Thanks twin, he was very proud of that whole thing.

• Bozo said, on January 1, 2013 at 7:32 pm

I hope you don’t mind, I added one of him playing in my old polka band.

• twinfan1 said, on January 1, 2013 at 7:49 pm

Of course I don’t mind. Thanks, that’s what my blog is all about- anything. I just finished bawling like a baby telling the story of Sirius, a Yellow Lab like my Zeke. Sirius was the only dog killed on 9-11. Yellow Labs are magnificent service dogs. Sirius was a bomb detection dog. My silly Zeke flunked drug sniffing ( he was to be partner to one of my brothers, a former policeman in St. Paul.) He’s actually become a natural guard dog for muy wife, my late friend George, ME when I’ve been wheelchair bound. Get in a wheelchair and he’ll guard you with his life. Born to it, I guess.

Sirius is remembered at the end of this video.

• chipower9 said, on January 2, 2013 at 10:12 am

I had never seen that video on the service dogs, Twin. How damned moving…brought tears to my eyes. Thanks for sharing.

12. unca_chuck said, on January 1, 2013 at 7:08 pm

Thanks, Blade (re last thread). We both took the pix. Got the tix 4 days before the game on NFLTicketexchange. $20 over face value ($140 each) as an early Christmas present.

13. blade3colorado said, on January 1, 2013 at 7:49 pm

De nada Chuck. Like I said earlier, the photos were on a par of a professional.

14. TedSpe said, on January 1, 2013 at 10:35 pm

HAPPY NEW YEAR, FLAVOR NATION !!

15. eddacker said, on January 2, 2013 at 5:42 am

In many ways, the Mets have used the blueprint that the World Champion San Francisco Giants have used.

16. chipower9 said, on January 2, 2013 at 7:37 am

Wishing all of you Flappers a belated Happy New Year…and hoping it is a healthy, happy, and prosperous one for you and yours.

I’ve never been a big resolution person, but enjoyed reading those posted here.

I will make two though in relation to baseball.

Like Craig I vow to attend at least 5 Giants games this year.

And as Ed said – I vow to help keep the Flap fully functional.

17. willedav said, on January 2, 2013 at 8:09 am

Props to the Furd. In these days of spread offenses and no huddle/run as many plays as you can philosophies, Furd has taken the approach of relying on defense and a solid running game to shut them down and limit offensive possesions rather than trying to outscore them. I haven’t seen anyone walk into Autzen and do what they did vs. Ducks…even the two games they lost they held opponents down and their defense held its own.
    The fact they are able to recruit across the country and still pry talent loose from LA, coupled with amount of players they send to NFL, is serving notice to rest of conference they aren’t just Harbs-only team.

18. willedav said, on January 2, 2013 at 8:17 am

Ah, the famous #42…I waited on Mrs. Lott the other day, very nice lady, personable and very polite. I think they have a couple v-ball playing girls in the family.
    I’ve been thinking about a thread on “juniors”, the kids of famous athletes who go into sports, ever since I saw last year LA released the Gwynn kid. Tough gig in most cases to try and compete, esp in the same sport as a famous dad. Successes such as the Bells, boones, Hairstons and griffeys are rare. I know Moises did well, but I always wondered if any of the other alou kids ever were good enough to play ball.

19. chipower9 said, on January 2, 2013 at 10:14 am

Love the countdown pict! My all-time favorite Niner…

20. Salty said, on January 2, 2013 at 10:45 am

Happy New Year’s to all.

Congrats to Stanford. A couple of plays away from playing Alabama next Monday. Personally think having to wait a week is absurd. and after yesterday, does anyone but their supporters give a damn about the Ore KSU game? I’m frankly bowled out.

Ready for baseball. A little Posey arb breakdown to start the New Year?

• zumiee said, on January 2, 2013 at 11:02 am

I think Oregon/KSU has a lot of appeal. I think it’s been a real good “bowl season” overall.
      —-
      I’ve been reading Philip Norman’s 800-page biography of John Lennon. Very good book. Excellent deal for Kindle, $2.99.

• eddacker said, on January 2, 2013 at 11:19 am

My local library tells me I am to get the next copy of Neil Young’s biography. There are four copies out there and a fifth on order so it should be soon. And a struggle to read it in the time.

• chipower9 said, on January 2, 2013 at 1:07 pm

I bought a copy of the Neil Young biography but haven’t started it (next in my queue).

• chipower9 said, on January 2, 2013 at 1:06 pm

I am so ready for baseball, too, Salt. Nice breakdown on Posey. Will be interesting to see if he and the Giants iron-out a long-term deal. My suspicion is they will.

21. blade3colorado said, on January 2, 2013 at 12:17 pm

I have 5 New Year resolutions:

1. Don’t get kidnapped by Thai rebels.
    2. Don’t get eaten by an Australian Great White Shark.
    3. Don’t fall off any Himalayan mountain.
    4. Don’t mistakenly eat any Cambodian monkey brains.
    5. Attend a World Series game with Pawlie if given another opportunity by God.

• pawliekokonuts said, on January 2, 2013 at 4:03 pm

Which of those is the hardest?

• blade3colorado said, on January 2, 2013 at 4:49 pm

Pawlie, I have swung and missed twice on opportunities to join you for two World Series games in 2010 and 2012 (even saying that line would have made me fall down laughing prior to 2010) so it would be an absolute miracle if lightening struck three times. Consequently, I will not tempt fate and say that would be the hardest resolution to keep. Before God and Country, that would be the easiest one.

The hardest to keep? Hmm, you never know what you’re eating in Southeast Asia, so I will probably eat monkey brains by mistake or minimally, a cat or dog. :-)

By the by, I posted another thread on my blog, titled, “How Much Will A RTW Trip Cost?”

22. Salty said, on January 2, 2013 at 3:50 pm

Giants sign Scott Proctor… from the Korean league?

• Alleykat said, on January 2, 2013 at 4:17 pm

Well Gee Whiz…All we need to sign now is Oscar Gamble make him a catcher so we can have a battery mate of Proctor&Gamble.

• blade3colorado said, on January 2, 2013 at 4:58 pm

lmao

• Bozo said, on January 2, 2013 at 5:21 pm

I’ll still take the Black and Decker battery we had.

• twinfan1 said, on January 2, 2013 at 5:44 pm

Proctor was signed to a minor league contract.

23. unca_chuck said, on January 2, 2013 at 4:34 pm

Alnmost as good as Law and Orta in the outfield.

24. twinfan1 said, on January 2, 2013 at 7:48 pm

Want to talk about the “Fiscal Cliff” deal?
    Next up:
    doc

Sorry, sir.You must be 80 to qualify for Medicare….

25. Alleykat said, on January 2, 2013 at 8:11 pm

So basically Twin,sigining Proctor is a no risk “Gamble” right?
    He’s obviously a washed up pitcher at 37 that helps fill out the minor league AAA roster,and can BS with the likes of Scott Munter,on how it was like in the “Show” at one time.

• twinfan1 said, on January 3, 2013 at 8:44 am

He’s one of dozens of players that all teams sign to similar deals. Most end up just about exactly how you describe or are released. Occasionally they surprise and make the team and help. If you want to wager on this one- go with “BS with the like likes of Scott Munter” although outriight release is about 5-2. What’s your take? Stealing ST innings from young guys, I suppose?

• Alleykat said, on January 3, 2013 at 10:46 am

Yeah he could steal some innings from the youngters development. But like you say “All teams” do that to add extra arms to their minor league sytems NBD,he will get a look see in ST,then down to Fresno and tell his teammates how good the food spread is at the “Show”.

26. salty said, on January 2, 2013 at 8:44 pm

Helluva first half from Curry…W’s up on the Clips

27. Macdog said, on January 2, 2013 at 9:27 pm

Strange sports night. L’Ville beats the overrated Gators, Nets stop Thunder’s home win streak as Durant gets first career ejection. Ah, but there was some normalcy: LeBron and Wade played a combined 86:37 and neither was whistled for a foul in Miami’s OT win over Dallas.

• blade3colorado said, on January 3, 2013 at 6:45 am

Mac, that’s Unfrickingbelievable with regard to fouls not being called on them. The Commissioner should investigate this ASAP. Oh wait I forgot! The Commissioner needs to be investigated himself.

28. chipower9 said, on January 3, 2013 at 7:47 am

Fucking Florida…I have always hated the Gators, and hate their sorry asses that much more today. I have them in the “Bowl-o-Rama” I am in ($10 buy-in to pick all the games, straight-up)…winner takes all (and $200 on the line). I was tied for first last night and had the miserable piece of shit Gators (hopefully the guy with whom I was tied also had Florida).

I have The Quack Attack over the K-State Wildcats today.

On a side (and much more important) note – the Giants Trophy Tour kicks-off Tuesday (Jan. 8th) is Sacto.

• blade3colorado said, on January 3, 2013 at 11:22 am

Weren’t they ranked 3rd? LMAO. Someone should have added a “donut” to that 3.

29. twinfan1 said, on January 3, 2013 at 9:11 am

To expand on my answer to Kat, some players who do not have Major League contracts and been have invited to ST are Wilson Valdez, Shane Loux, Eric Hacker, Chad Gaudin,Guillermo Quiroz, Fresno has just 14 players on their roster. That will be filled to some extent by kids from the lower leagues but mostly by bums, has beens, and never weres. Guys to whom the payroll tax boost means something..

• salty said, on January 3, 2013 at 9:35 am

Thanks. I had been trying to remember who the other reliever was they signed earlier…(gaudin). Never hurts to have a couple of vets as insurance but with the recent success the giants gave had with journeymen, who knows?

30. Salty said, on January 3, 2013 at 9:54 am

Then there was 39yr old Mike Stanton who had a surprisingly good year in 06

31. twinfan1 said, on January 3, 2013 at 10:06 am

2009 was a banner year for guys Sabean signed to minor league contracts- Uribe, Torres, and to a lesser but still significant extent, Justin Miller and Medders.

32. zumiee said, on January 3, 2013 at 10:25 am

MLB network documentary today…..Matt Kemp was drafted in the 6th round. Round after round, teams passed on him.
    Drafting is an inexact science.

33. twinfan1 said, on January 3, 2013 at 11:28 am

Eli’s whirlwind tour continues as the Rangers DFA him… hey, we can wonder why he keeps getting picked up but a bigger mystery is what the hell he can be doing wrong in the middle of winter. The Yankees claimed him from us on November 5. Toronto claimed him on December 3 after the Yanks DFAed him. He lasted until 12-12 when the Rangers claimed him. Now they released him. Could it be that Vera lost her touch with her Ambrosia Salad? Or maybe with the holiday buffet season over, Eli gets the boot along with Vera? It has to be brutal when a guy is only wanted for his Mom’s yucky jello salad..

• eddacker said, on January 3, 2013 at 10:40 pm

the jello can be a bit much, but the Ambrosia? never fails

34. chipower9 said, on January 3, 2013 at 1:57 pm

Stumbled across this artice that I had printed-out, and read it again. Good stuff from Alex P (Merc News) that he posted on Christmas day. The season in review from the players’ perspective. Still good stuff a couple of weeks later.

Oh, and I finished Pawlie’s “World Serious.” What a nice read…very enjoyable. If you haven’t checked it out, I encourage you to do so. (I posted a review on Amazon.)

35. Irish Kevin said, on January 3, 2013 at 2:22 pm

Have not been out here in awhile, over on Chucks Niners page, Happy New Year everyone. Since I have not been out here and I only glance at baseball news occassionaly, (see twin’s post about Eli for the reason) what is the story or is this old news about the Giants picking up Scott Proctor? Twin I need the low down on the dude.
    Resolution
    I will keep the faith when my Giants go down 0-2 or even 1-3 in the playoffs

36. dirtnrocksnomo said, on January 3, 2013 at 3:39 pm

My resolution was to name our kid Baseball Jesus but the wife wasn’t going for it. I tried Buster as a second choice but she just laughed at my drunk ass. Still a couple of months of arm twisting to go so there is time to work it out.

• blade3colorado said, on January 3, 2013 at 4:19 pm

LMAO. Umm . . . How ’bout Benji?

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on January 3, 2013 at 7:48 pm

Haha, good one. We don’t know what is coming so being able to call it big tittie might work. :)

37. twinfan1 said, on January 3, 2013 at 4:22 pm

Kevin, Proctor was a pretty fair reliever back when Will Geer was a boy…
    To all: wanna see how much the middle class tax cut will cost you? Come on over to Zeke’s World. I’ve got a link to a calculator. And throw in your 2.13 cents…

• twinfan1 said, on January 3, 2013 at 5:33 pm

Maybe I have that wrong, more like your 1.87 cents. But come on over…
      screw

• Alleykat said, on January 3, 2013 at 6:27 pm

Maybe Romo was wearing his “I just look illegal” t-shirt from the W/S parade at the airport.

38. twinfan1 said, on January 3, 2013 at 4:35 pm

“Sergio Romo detained — not arrested — in Las Vegas ”

• Flavor said, on January 3, 2013 at 5:23 pm

if that’s all it was, what-ev, who hasn’t been irritable at the airport in LV after losing a G (or more)………

• twinfan1 said, on January 3, 2013 at 5:38 pm

I think the ” detained” disclaimer was added because some oriiginal reports said he was arrested.

• Macdog said, on January 3, 2013 at 6:12 pm

Maybe the TSA workers were disgruntled Cowboys fans who thought it was Tony Romo.

• twinfan1 said, on January 3, 2013 at 7:41 pm

Tony has gained quite a rep even outside the football world.In some circles his name is a synonym for dropping something, As in “Don’t Tony Romo the baby.”
        Or if you’ve just received terrible news, a friend may console you by saying “Well, at least you’re not Tony Romo”..
        (from the brilliant Urban Dictionary)

39. salty said, on January 3, 2013 at 5:07 pm

I’ve been “detained” a couple of times….once nearly ran over the cop who was trying to detain me. All a misunderstanding, Sir.
    Once in Barcelona (careful Blade) for walking on a grass portion of the median strip. Wtf? Had to plead stupido americano.

• salty said, on January 3, 2013 at 5:13 pm