Baseball and Other Winter Things…..

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on January 7, 2013

Well, it’s January 7th. It’s dark as fuck outside right now. 39 degrees. Fairly cold for this area. Forgot to get coffee yesterday so I made a pot out of the dregs of the bottom of the can. It is underwhelming…..

And that’s about all I’ve got right now. This winter has been the slowest in recent or long-term memory. No surprises. Scoots and Pagan are coming back. Same with Casilla and Affeldt. Bee-Wheezy is about 98% out the door but I got used to him being gone last year so it doesn’t sting as much as I thought it would. Plus, Romo is dominant. And cheaper.

The rest of the division has been pretty active. The Dodgers spent another quarter billion or so. The D-backs are busy stockpiling outfielders and they’ll be ready when the famine hits. The Padres did some sort of lateral shuffle, I wasn’t really paying attention.

Oh, and Twin and Blade started their own blogs. Links to be found to the right. Pawlie is churning out another book, I think about baseball poems, I’m gonna read my *sneak peak* later today at work.

And that’s about it. It says 37 days till P/C’s report. I’m not even sure if that number is correct. But I enjoy changing it every day. And I’ve got my BB’s-OTD to keep me company. Although today’s is looking a little ragged. If she unleashed those bad boys it would literally look like someone was pouring pancake batter, lol….

Carry on…….

About these ads

1. Bozo said, on January 7, 2013 at 7:22 am

I think Pitchers and catchers report on 2/12 which is Fat Tuesday or Mardi Gras day. I can’t make it to SF for my friend’s memorial (various reasons) but I do believe I can partake in some King cake and parades. Yup, we’re going to NOLA on the 9th and coming back on the 12th after the Zulu parade (if I can get it together for an 8AM parade). I know what you’re thinking, leaving NOLA on Fat Tuesday, Bozo are you nuts? Believe me, if you’ve ever seen the insanity at the airport on that Wednesday, you know what I’m talkin’ about and your giving me the knowing dude head nod while saying ya you right!

• gianthead said, on January 7, 2013 at 8:48 am

Bozo, I never made it to the Zulu parade when 20 of us flew out from San Jose during college for Mardi Gras…after 4 days of crazed Mardi Gras revelry, I was sicker than a dog by Fat Tuesday…great college memories though…

• Bozo said, on January 7, 2013 at 10:59 am

GH – It is an early parade and I’ve missed it myself. My wife got a Zulu coconut in 06. Hangovers do happen and I’ve had my share but it’s my legs that start giving out on me. Those 3 parade days are killers.

2. willedav said, on January 7, 2013 at 7:26 am

Man, Shanahan sure is gonna have people talking. what I can figure is this: RG wanted to play and told everyone he was fine, as players always do. He bitched when they held him out earlier, so game of this magnitude….Skins have seen him at practice, so they know he is NOT close to 100%. Maybe, 60 or 40% tops is my guess. Announcers on TV have noticed he is not near as explosive nor making cuts and moves like he did. I only saw last quarter, but did see the run where he was limping to the sideline.
    I also figure shan had total backing of the locker room for starting RG and leaving him in there. I realize the sports are different, but one of the things I struggle with the most in b-ball is taking out a starter who is not playing well. You just figure, hey he can do more than what I have on the bench, has a track record of getting it done and he’ll get it together if I leave him in. Which often as not is way wrong: the kid is not helping the team, needs to sit and chill out and the sub and the team are just fine.
    The back up had won before for them, so you just gotta wonder how long Shan was gonna let RG go, until the choice was made for him, they lost the ball and gave up the extra 3 points.

• chipower9 said, on January 7, 2013 at 7:32 am

Well, with a healthy Robbie in there (refuse to call him RG3 after seeing Craig’s FB post on this…still LMAO), maybe the Skins win. But I think the better football team won yesterday. The SeaHawks have talent across the board and are peaking.

One thing that really stood out to me between the two games yesterday was how the Colt receivers could not catch a fucking ball yesterday if their lives depended on it, and the SeaChicks receivers seemed to catch everything thrown at them. Wilson is a stud, and Lynch is an animal. The Hawks are peaking and I will not be surprised if they go into Hotlanta and whoop the Falcoons.

3. chipower9 said, on January 7, 2013 at 7:27 am

I hate it when I forget to get coffee! Sucks. At least you had “something” to brew.

The official report date for Los Gigantes is now 36.

I watched the “overview” DVD from the Giants World Series DVD (2 disc – one is the overview, the other Game 7 of the NLCS). Had my daughter and a few friends over (Demp28). It is a well put together DVD. If you have not seen it I highly encourage picking it up. (I have yet to delve into the 8 disc set. Gail will be in Santa Rosa competing with the baby dog this weekend, so I will have plenty of time to do so.)

• JBat said, on January 7, 2013 at 11:09 am

I picked up the Blu Ray version and it freakin’ ROCKS! Much better visuals than the 2010 DVD set (duh). You’re right, chi, they do a good job of putting these together. More than anything for an out-of-towner like me is being able to watch the games and listen to Jon Miller and co, sans Suck and McIdiot.

4. blade3colorado said, on January 7, 2013 at 7:35 am

Thanks for the plug Flav . . . You’re the best!

Damn, you mentioned coffee and I go bonzo if I don’t have my morning cup. Sex, coffee, Giants, and travel are the only things I am addicted to now, having given up drugs and alcohol long ago.

With sex, I hardly get any, so lefty is frequently my best friend. :-)
    With the Giants, I go to “rehab” (Fantasy League Basketball) in the winter.
    With travel, I am always looking for a fix.

In short, the only thing I really control is coffee. Ahh, drinking my favorite blend right now.

5. gianthead said, on January 7, 2013 at 8:50 am

I pulle dina modest $650 on the Seahawks and the under yesterday! All 4 of the playoff games stayed under…I am looking forward to this Niners game, but it is going to be finger-nail chewing time. I am going to root for the Seahawks to win as well (and bet that way), so they have to come into the Stick for sume comeuppance!!! That would be the last game at the Stick right for Niner history???

6. gianthead said, on January 7, 2013 at 8:55 am

And thoughts on tonight’s big game…I just get the feeling Alabama will be playing at a different speed and will dominate. Leaning toward the tease at -3.5 and the over at 34.5…

• Flavor said, on January 7, 2013 at 9:20 am

I’m not betting the game but I would take The Irish and the 9.5 to the bank……

• gianthead said, on January 7, 2013 at 10:27 am

I am definitely taking Bama then:))))

• JBat said, on January 7, 2013 at 11:10 am

I’d give the points and take ‘Bama, all the way.

• chipower9 said, on January 7, 2013 at 12:40 pm

I am not wagering on the game, but if I did:

I thought the O/U was 40.5. I would definitely take the under on that one, and I would also take the points. The two top defenses in the country squaring-off translates into a low-scoring and close affair.

Of course, I could be wrong…all the more reason I’m not wagering on this one.

In a pool I am in, I am in a three way tie (picking all the bowl games straight up). Two of us have Bama and the third guy ND.

Tie breaker is total points. I have 34 and the other guy who picked Bama has 55. If Bama rolls…I like my chances on the totals.

7. Flavor said, on January 7, 2013 at 9:27 am

this is how slow the baseball world is right now. Here’s the top news story at mlbtraderumors.com:
    Yomiuri Giants Sign Jose Lopez
    By Ben Nicholson-Smith [January 7 at 10:17am CST]
    The Yomiuri Giants have signed infielder Jose Lopez, according to the Associated Press (via ESPN.com). Lopez, a client of agent Martin Arburua, was close to a deal with the 2012 Japan Series winners last month. He’ll earn $911K in 2013, according to Nikkan Sports (via the AP).

Lopez spent the 2012 season with the Indians and White Sox, playing mostly at the infield corners. The 29-year-old hit .246/.270/.356 in 248 total plate appearances for the AL Central teams. A right-handed hitter, Lopez made the All-Star team in 2006 and hit 25 home runs three seasons later.

• chipower9 said, on January 7, 2013 at 10:49 am

zzzzzz….

• Bozo said, on January 7, 2013 at 11:15 am

Now that Berkman has signed, Huff figures to get some calls. The D-Train signed a minor league contract with the Cubs and Javier Vazquez is thinking about making a comeback.

But the exciting news this winter and I think the best news so far, Scott Boras still has some high priced free agents waiting for a phone call.

8. twinfan1 said, on January 7, 2013 at 9:40 am

The worst thing that happened to the ‘Skins was jumping out to the early lead. Shanahan then thought they could win it with an obviously subpar, hobbling Griffin… and Shanahan risked the career of his QB in the process. As Thomas Boswell says in the Washington Post, Griffin is “the face of the franchise and relentlessly driven to prove his courage. If ever a veteran coach needed to accept responsibility for the reins of a player, it was Shanahan over Griffin in this game. Yet he simply passed the buck to his player. Griffin said he could play, was in pain but wasn’t injured and had earned the right to be the quarterback — all the sideline buzzwords to keep yourself in the game. And Shanahan listened and bought it. Soon, we’ll find out the price”….Griffin reinjured the knee before the end of the 1st quarter and was totally, obviously, and *painfully* ineffective the rest of the way.
    Playing or not playing is not a matter for the player to decide. Another writer, Mike Freeman, of CBS, said “”Due to one of the worst coaching decisions in recent NFL postseason history, Shanahan — in a horribly stupid, terribly dumb piece of coaching malpractice — left a helpless Griffin in the game. He didn’t stand a chance.”
    Now there will be people who take the neanderthal ,macho i.e. idiotic stance on this- “it’s a rough sport, a game for real men, yada yada..” Griffin wasn’t wrong to take the macho stance, but Shanahan knew:
    1. It was just a young player trying to prove his courage
    2. That young player was hurt and should not have been playing

It is only of minor significance that keeping Griffin in was the deciding factor in losing the game.
    We all hope that the MRI will not show a serious injury but either way, Shanahan’s coaching career should be ended.

• gianthead said, on January 7, 2013 at 10:30 am

If I were the Redskins, I would be talking to Lovie Smith…

• Alleykat said, on January 7, 2013 at 11:58 am

Couldn’t agree more Twin!
      Shanahan is a complete idiot,leaving a “helpless” RG3 in that game.

9. PawlieKokonuts said, on January 7, 2013 at 11:34 am

Cheer up, mate. The slate-gray-dull-monochrome dregs of quotidian somber lassitude you describe above is par for the course in the northern climes. Buck up. Builds character. (Not that I’d know.)

• blade3colorado said, on January 7, 2013 at 11:44 am

Paul, I just touted your book at my Facebook page.

10. eddacker said, on January 7, 2013 at 11:41 am

Aubrey Huff ‘keeping fingers crossed’ for a job
    From 2008-2011, the aging Huff developed a reputation for excellence in even-numbered years and ineptitude in odd-numbered years. The Giants took a one-year, $3 million flier on Huff on Jan. 10, 2010, and watched him thrive as the unexpected hero of their championship team, to the tune of a career-high 5.8 WARP and 26 home runs, his second-highest total since 2004. Unfortunately, general manager Brian Sabean’s desire to keep the Band of Misfits together resulted in an ill-fated two-year, $22 million extension. Huff was one of the league’s worst regulars in 2011
    According to CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman, who spoke with Huff’s attorney, Ed Hayes, a few days ago, the 36-year-old is determined not to end his career on such a sour note.
    Heyman mentioned in his blog post that among injury-plagued, declining first basemen/designated hitters, Lance Berkman sat atop the free-agent depth chart. But, on Saturday, Berkman agreed to a one-year, $11 million deal with the Rangers, and if he passes his physical in Arlington, needy GMs may instead turn their attention to Huff. Heyman speculated that two of Huff’s past employers, the Rays and Orioles, could phone his representatives in the near future, and he also tossed the Indians and Red Sox into the mix. With several possible destinations, a minor-league tender including a spring-training invitation should be easily attainable, and if Huff keeps his fingers crossed long enough, an incentivized major-league gig just might come along.

• Alleykat said, on January 7, 2013 at 12:29 pm

Doubtful…Huff can’t even out run our “BB of the Day”

• blade3colorado said, on January 7, 2013 at 12:54 pm

Yeah, I would find it hilarious (besides ludicrous) if a GM bit on Huff. Dude is OUT OF GAS.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on January 7, 2013 at 3:18 pm

Typical Heyman. I ain’t buying it, though.

11. eddacker said, on January 7, 2013 at 4:02 pm

It is proof that we are at an all time slow for winter baseball news.

12. blade3colorado said, on January 7, 2013 at 5:50 pm

Hey Flappers! If you get a chance, I posted a new thread on my blog, titled, “Weird Toilet Phenomena And Other Bon Mots At The Equator In Quito, Ecuador”

13. blade3colorado said, on January 7, 2013 at 6:11 pm

Looks like Giant Head is going to make a few ducats on this Alabama/Notre Dame game. It’s already over in my opinion.

14. blade3colorado said, on January 7, 2013 at 8:41 pm

Nick Saban was a pussy fuck and still is a pussy fuck for bailing on the Miami Dolphins. Winning one, two, three, four or a gazillion more worthless BCS Football Championships doesn’t impress me. Fuck him.

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 499 other followers