HOF Voting Outcome–Baseball Blogger’s Alliance

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on January 7, 2013

As a member of the Baseball Blogger’s Alliance, I had a HOF vote to cast. I wrote about it in this thread back on 12/17/12:

I waved in several players: Morris, Smith, Raines, Walker, Bonds and Biggio. It appears I was far m0re generous than the rest of my BBA brethren. As a group, we only let one player in: Bagwell. Here are the results:

Jeff Bagwell 76%

Bernie Williams 4%
David Wells 4%
Sandy Alomar 3%
Julio Franco 1%

About these ads

1. twinfan1 said, on January 7, 2013 at 3:28 pm

Raines matches up pretty well with Gwynn.:

Raines finished his career with a .385 OBP, a .425 SLG and a 123 OPS+ in 10,359 PA
    Gwynn finished his career with a .388 OBP, a 459 SLG and a 132 OPS+ in 10,232 PA

Raines scored 1,571 runs and drove in 980
    Gwynn scored 1,383 runs and drove in 1,138

Raines stole 808 bases and was caught 146 times
    Gwynn stole 319 bases and was caught 125 times

• James said, on January 7, 2013 at 5:19 pm

Great comp, TF. Raine’s holds the NL record for highest SB percentage. He is one of the great leadoff hitters.

2. Flavor said, on January 7, 2013 at 3:31 pm

Bonds got 62% of our vote. I’m guessing he gets about half that from the real vote

3. Irish Kevin said, on January 7, 2013 at 4:08 pm

I know Chi is going to be there, and I am going to try to make it, the WS 2010 and 2012 trophys will be on display in Sacramento tomorrow, 01/08/2013 from 2:30-5:00. come on out and see the two things we are proud of

4. eddacker said, on January 7, 2013 at 5:07 pm

do you think it will make it to London?

• Alleykat said, on January 7, 2013 at 5:31 pm

London bridges falling down
      falling down,falling down
      Don’t feel the W/S trophy
      is coming to your town.

5. eddacker said, on January 7, 2013 at 5:10 pm

I think, like many of us, Bonds was one of the best players ever.

6. twinfan1 said, on January 7, 2013 at 6:19 pm

Your blogger compatriots are a tough crowd, Craig. Here’s Jayson Stark’s ballot:
    Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens, Mike Piazza, Craig Biggio, Curt Schilling, Sammy Sosa, Jeff Bagwell, Tim Raines, Jack Morris, Dale Murphy
    And just for James, here’s Verducci’s case for Morris *and* Schilling.
    Best case for Morris: he was, by any measure, THE very definition of the work horse ace. “Essentially, he took the ball and wouldn’t give it up. Not just in Game 7, 1991, but start after start, for 18 seasons. To quote from Verducci:
    “From 1979 to 1992, Morris logged 18 percent more innings than anybody else in baseball, earned 20 percent more wins than anybody else, and pitched eight innings or more an astounding 45 percent more often than anybody else (241 starts to the 166 of Charlie Hough)…he started opening day 14 years in a row, Game 1 in 6 of 7 times of the postseason series in he was in…there *are* guys who transcend the peripherals- if being the most dominant is a criteria, Jack’s is as the most *indominatable*…I remember that Game 7 in 1991 well..here’s a bit of it…

7. unca_chuck said, on January 7, 2013 at 6:23 pm

I have to wait til my son gets out of school, but I’m going to try to get there if all works out . . .

• twinfan1 said, on January 7, 2013 at 6:33 pm

Well, first you’ll need to be on the ballot and get 75 percent of the vote, Chuck…but hey, a guy can dream… oh, you mean Sacramento.. Well, drive carefully…

8. twinfan1 said, on January 7, 2013 at 6:47 pm

Getting close to halftime, I see the Romulans have a commanding lead…

9. Flavor said, on January 7, 2013 at 8:05 pm

I just sent an email to all my “compatriots” calling them out for their stinginess.
    Shit, it’s not like we’re waving them into heaven. It shouldn’t be so difficult to get into the HOF

• willedav said, on January 7, 2013 at 8:35 pm

good for you. Bagwell over the guys you picked (besides Walker) is ridiculous.
      Julio Franco would have got my vote, tho, just for still being able to hit at age 90. Imagine if he was in one of those old fart leagues where he only had to hit off guys his age.

10. zumiee said, on January 7, 2013 at 8:18 pm

Huell Howser passed away today. “California Gold” is a cool show. I have no idea if people in the rest of the nation ever saw the show, and it’s almost hard to describe the show. On paper, it wouldn’t sound that good. Howser just had a way of making those shows great. I loved his interaction with the locals. He always found a way to connect with them. I think my favorite one was the one where he went in a plane with a group of folks that “seed” lakes in the Sierras with fish.
    A. I had no idea that was done
    and
    B. the flights look terrifying, but they’ve never had a crash…..yet. Huell was wondering what he had gotten himself into.

• xoot said, on January 7, 2013 at 10:36 pm

Check out Dave Alvin’s website, or FB page. He has a couple of notes about Huell. A friend of his also sent him a photo of Huell as an energetic young man with his arms around similarly young Dolly Parton and Loretta Lynn.

• eddacker said, on January 8, 2013 at 1:35 am

It was his Tennessee twang that sealed the deal. he was just believable and showcased stuff the man on the street would have loved AND had access to.

11. PawlieKokonuts said, on January 7, 2013 at 8:30 pm

A good friend of mine, in fact one of my best friends, an older guy, a grad of Williams College, sent me this. To my great surprise, I clicked on it and stayed w/ it for 1 hour 12 minutes. Put down as one who likes Willie Mays Aikens. http://youtu.be/ahcGqgH3L5M

12. unca_chuck said, on January 7, 2013 at 8:32 pm

Yeah, Huell’s a goofball of the highest order, but he was somehow engaging enough to get you to watch the mundane and the strange about CA.

13. twinfan1 said, on January 7, 2013 at 8:32 pm

New post on my blog- bogus PC optimizers as advertised on TV and my recommendations for keeping your PC clean- for free.

14. snarkk said, on January 7, 2013 at 8:58 pm

Of ALL those players, only BAGWELL gets in?
    Unfortunately, that’s just stooopid…

15. snarkk said, on January 7, 2013 at 9:01 pm

The BCS “playoff” system again is shown to be absolutely ridiculous. The #1 team per the computer and whatever else gets absolutely lambasted by the the #2 team. So, Oregon pounded KState was lower ranked than ND? ND squeaked by in several of its wins, and stole a win from Stanford at home. Something is wrong when a team like that gets a title bid, regardless of the no-loss record. Stanford would not have made a better showing than ND? Crap, Bama’s O-line toyed with ND’s D line. That would not have happened against Stanford. And Oregon is so much faster, quicker on both sides of the ball than ND, it’s not even funny. I saw the Ducks live in Berkelely. They’d steamroll ND by 30. The 4-team playoff scheme will be a little better, a little. These BCS rankings are total, unmitigated bulldust…

• Brian said, on January 7, 2013 at 11:12 pm

Every poll had Notre Dame 1, Alabama 2. Face it; Alabama would have rolled over anyone tonight.

16. blade3colorado said, on January 8, 2013 at 6:04 am

New thread on my blog . . . http://aroundtheworldwithblade.wordpress.com :-)

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 457 other followers