In Season HGH Testing? Be Careful What you Wish For

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on January 10, 2013

I was mildly surprised to read today that management and the player’s association have agreed to do in-season HGH testing. It sounds good. I mean, it sounds much better than just testing for it in spring training. And the freaking NFL doesn’t even test for HGH (which is a  j-o-k-e).

But what is up with the timing of this announcement? The DAY AFTER the HOF voters embarrassed themselves, mlb comes out with this *big announcement* about how far they’ve come in cleaning up the sport?

Sorry, but that sounds shady to me. The timing of it is shady as is the fact that the players association agreed to it. If they agreed to it they must know they are going to have no problem beating it. At least the smart (see: not Melky) or the rich (see: many of the players) must feel they can beat an in-season test like this. Otherwise, why would they agree to it?

There’s too much money to be made by pro athletes by juicing themselves to the nines. It really doesn’t even matter if you get caught. Melky got busted and then embarrassed with his bungled version of a baseball Ponzi scheme and then Toronto trips over themselves to gift him 16 million dollars? Shit, where’s the needle? I’ll take a hit or two of that. Think about it: Melky was well on his was to journeyman-outfielder territory before he started juicing in Kansas City. Then, even though he gets caught and exposed as a joke he still gets 16 mil? No matter who you are, 16 million can feed your children for a long, long time (unless you’ve got the headache that Spree was faced with :) ).

So the motivation to take steroids is out there and thriving. And now today’s big announcement is supposed to make us think baseball is getting closer to getting cleaner? It all sounds shady as fuck to me…….

About these ads

1. snarkk said, on January 10, 2013 at 4:39 pm

No such thing as a coincidence in this case…

2. Flavor said, on January 10, 2013 at 4:57 pm

I brought the *retro POTD* back for the Winter. When I look at the stats each day there’s always some weird, random thread that has 15-20 views. Probably some dude searching for something and then coming back again and again.
    Anyway, I clicked on the 11/21/11 thread today just to see what it was all about. Non-descript. I liked Xoot’s post, though…..

3. twinfan1 said, on January 10, 2013 at 5:03 pm

I think ‘roid rage has been misdiagnosed- it’s a malady afflicting the anti-PED crowd. But I agree, the HGH testing is bogus- as is all testing. THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH ENHANCING PERFORMANCE. In fact, I got on my bike for the first time in months and found that going downhill definitely enhanced my cycling performance..
    Stopping was harder.

• unca_chuck said, on January 10, 2013 at 5:09 pm

In your opinion.

• twinfan1 said, on January 10, 2013 at 5:33 pm

Which part? I’ve checked with bicycling experts and they all agree that it’s a fact that going downhill is easier than goin’ up…

• twinfan1 said, on January 10, 2013 at 6:41 pm

Chuck, as I just told you on my blog, you were incorrect there and here in saying the Twins were in danger of contraction before the “Summer of Dinger Love”. It was in 2002 that MLB selected them for contraction ( along with Montreal, not Oakland) but a court order stopped Selig and forced to Twins to play out their lease at the Dome.The HR race had absolutely nothing to do with them avoiding contraction.

• unca_chuck said, on January 10, 2013 at 7:02 pm

Twins, A’s Expos, whatever. The facts remain the same, Mike. Baseball was struggling with attendance after the world series was cancelled. I guess we should be happy that Selig turned a blind eye to steroids, because a roid scandal after the cancellation of the world series could have seriously damaged the game. How bad? Who knows? 4 teams contracted? The league disbanding? Maybe not that bad, but it’s certainly in the realm orf probability.

• twinfan1 said, on January 10, 2013 at 7:49 pm

Whatever? No, the facts are that contraction of the Twins was not threatened until 4 years after the HR season and was stopped by a court ruling . I made a simple correction about that, you were wrong.

4. Macdog said, on January 10, 2013 at 6:38 pm

I’ve watched too many James Bond flicks. The first thing that came to mind when I saw Tanaka in dirt’s POTD was the guy who’s the head of the Japanese spy agency in “You Only Live Twice.”

• blade3colorado said, on January 11, 2013 at 3:45 pm

LMAO. Laughing because I am a big 007 fan like you Mac! Correction . . . except for Roger Moore!

5. unca_chuck said, on January 10, 2013 at 7:04 pm

Do you deny the existence of anything adverse regarding steroids, Mike? Bone density loss? Bacne? Testicular shrivelling? I mean, everyone should be taking them. And carry concealed weapons. A trip to the store would be death defying.

• twinfan1 said, on January 10, 2013 at 8:02 pm

Actually there can be some pretty significant side effects-perforation of small and large bowel,pancreatitis,ulcerative esophagitis,potassium loss,congestive heart failure,convulsions,pituitary unresponsiveness,decrease in motility and number of spermatozoa,osteoporosis,euphoria, insomnia, mood swings, personality changes, severe depression, and psychotic manifestations…
      Uh, for cortisone, that is…

• James said, on January 10, 2013 at 8:24 pm

I referenced it once before a couple of years ago – not even Ted had seen it – but Nick Ray’s “Bigger Than Life” is one fucking awesome cortisone movie. Really, I’ll be a douche bag, and just say that any fucking movie I recommend is going to be way better than most of the shit you guys watch, although Ted does have a little bit of taste.

I think there may be problems with my dosage . . .

• twinfan1 said, on January 10, 2013 at 8:48 pm

I like the “Nick” Ray touch. I don’t usually do that unless I know the guy. The President gets a little prickly when I call him “Barry”, however.

• twinfan1 said, on January 10, 2013 at 8:20 pm

Those are, of course, potential side effects of cortisone injections or pills, the possibilty of their occurence increasing if taken without a physician’s prescription and supervision and in larger doses than recommended- just as possible adverse effects of steroid usage are increased when used in that manner. Example: if you purchase your supply of Andro from Juarez and your drinking buddy administers it by sticking, uh, injecting it, in your ass , it’s probably more likely to fuck you up than if Dr. Andrews handles it…

6. James said, on January 10, 2013 at 8:13 pm

I wonder how great Fred Lewis coulda been with just a little help . . . .

• twinfan1 said, on January 10, 2013 at 8:23 pm

I’m sure there were volunteers, James.

• Alleykat said, on January 10, 2013 at 8:36 pm

Fred would have fumbled the needle, as much as he fumbled a baseball around in the OF.

• James said, on January 10, 2013 at 8:51 pm

With the passage of the years, I can now laugh at this slight of my hero’s fine motor skills.

• twinfan1 said, on January 10, 2013 at 10:15 pm

Such is the state of the LF position that Fred was in fact a slightly above average defender. He just had the misfortune to make comically terrible errors. And as you know, he had a very good season in the 1 spot in 2008. Fred was very unfairly maligned. IMO. At one point a popular topic at the Splash was whether he or Matt Cain was dumber…

7. xoot said, on January 10, 2013 at 8:46 pm

I don’t know a lot about the harmful effects of roids, but based on what I do know, I sure wouldn’t want my kids taking them for anything other than medical-necessity reasons. Personally, at my age, maybe I should look into their benefits for just everyday fun. But I’m in no hurry.

I’ve seen some roid effects in others. Most recently, as part of my regular work, I got into some very heated adversarial situations with another guy. A few days later, he called me and apologized for his conduct. He was, he said, taking steroids for a bone disorder, and the roids made him aggressive, short tempered, and, worst or all, thin-skinned. And he wasn’t talking about bacne.

Also, as I think I’ve mentioned before, I met one guy, about 40 or so, who told me he’d been prescribed roids after surgery. He felt the effects he expected–more energy, more strength, more confidence. And he healed well. But the dramatic improvement in his eyesight surprised him. He no longer needed his glasses. His eyes were youthful, his vision sharp. When the prescribed medication ended, his eyes got old again quickly, and he desperately needed his glasses. (I have to admit, it’s not hard to imagine roids working their magic on eye muscles.)

Better living through chemistry? Or a deal made down to the crossroads? I don’t know. It’s one thing to use them briefly, for rehab; it’s another thing altogether to use them all season long, for decades, to improve your game.

• twinfan1 said, on January 10, 2013 at 9:49 pm

Possible side effects differ with different steroids and the dosage. The severity of negative side effects is of course worse when taken without medical supervision. And stopping usage improperly can have deadly “side effects”, and not just in rare cases. Abrupt cessation of most steroids is almost always catastrophic. So it’s not really not very likely to be able to make the kind of sweeping generalizations many make about adverse effects from PED use by athletes. Even at that, how many examples of “roid rage” have been reported even about ballplayers taking them without supervision? My 9:03, BTW, was meant as a reply to your post. I’m not being cavalier about steroid use at all and what your co-worker describes is certainly very possible. But if he’s going to work in that mental condition, he or his doctor are negligent in one way or another. The “awful” side effects I’ve sometimes suffered are mostly spatial- a square world, the feeling of living on a boat, being ten feet tall… artivan and dilantin lessened the effects a lot. And make different ones. And so it goes..
      Nice to see you, BTW. You always have an interesting take on things.

8. unca_chuck said, on January 10, 2013 at 8:59 pm

Again, Mike. If it is prescribed for the sole intention of making oneself a better athlete, all these side effects are OK? It’s like Xoot said, they are selling their souls down the river for an undetermined fate later on. Cortisone is not nearly as powerful as the stuff bodybuilders and athletes take. You laugh off the side effects of cortisone and it’s nothing compared to the stuff athletes take. And they are taking them long-term. Not like me rehabbing my shoulder and getting cortisone injections, or my mom struggling with her breathing and getting an oral steroid for a coupe months.

• twinfan1 said, on January 10, 2013 at 9:13 pm

I’m not laughing off anything. There is no discussing it with you because you’re not conducive to even listening to this guy: “Norman Fost, MD, MPH, earned his medical degree from Yale University and completed his residency at Johns Hopkins Hospital. He founded the Bioethics Program and the Child Protection Team at the University of Wisconsin in 1973. He has been Chair of the Hospital Ethics Committee since 1984, and chaired the Health Sciences Institutional Review Board for 31 years.

Dr. Fost is the recipient of lifetime achievement awards from the American Academy of Pediatrics and the Office of Human Subjects Protection, and was the first recipient of the Patricia Price Browne Prize in Bioethics. He serves on the FDA Pediatric Advisory Committee and is a member of the NIH Recombinant Advisory Committee. He is available for consultation on ethical issues in health care and human subjects research and child protection issues.”
      Now really, I don’t want to talk to you Chuck. At all. That shouldn’t bother you.

• unca_chuck said, on January 10, 2013 at 10:20 pm

No,it’s you who is intractable, Mike. Dick Pound is wrong? The chairman of WADA is a twit like me? OK, got it. We are all scared by the hysterical overreactors out there.

I see you deleted yourself. Fun running a blog isn’t it?

• twinfan1 said, on January 10, 2013 at 11:56 pm

I deleted the thread because the time stamp was never right. Dick Pound’s credentials are to Fost as Dr. Dan the Bandage Man is to Dr, William Mayo. Now please, there’s no need for you to continue this , I’ve politely said I don’t want to talk to you. And I don’t post on your blog, please don’t post on mine unless you do so in a less aggressive fashion. What you don’t get is that I am actually knowlwdgeable about both sides of the issue, you have not even paid attention to Fost’s intelligent overview.You present totally unsuppoortable claims about a trickle down effect on adolescents if pro athletes have usage regulated, you ignore that the black market steroids that thousands of teens ingest are causing adverse effects because of their impurity and improper use, you promote a neanderthal mentality of intolerance, you are anti-intellectual, and, well, we don’t get along, we never have, we never will. As everybody knows, we both like to argue. The wedding is off, Chuck. You can keep the ring, but I have to admit, it’s not the 20,000 dollar one I said it was, it was twenty bucks as advertised on TV. I’m sorry. I hope you didn’t give to your wife, She won’t be very happy..

9. twinfan1 said, on January 10, 2013 at 9:03 pm

Not all steroids are created equal, of course, I’ve been on decadron for most of 3 years. It is the only drug for controlling edema associated with brain tumors and the surgery that can cause edema. There is zero choice. It has awful side effects, none of which is quite as bad as the only alternative…

• xoot said, on January 10, 2013 at 10:25 pm

Well, as I think I indicated, given the wide range of claims and counterclaims, many of them just flat out hysterical, swirling around in the news reports, I tend to listen more closely to people who, for whatever reason, actually have used steroids. Sometimes experience is the best expertise. The medical value of steroids seems clear. Your head seems to be working just fine.

• twinfan1 said, on January 10, 2013 at 11:26 pm

Well, as much as I’ve talked about medical supervision, I’ve often had to self diagnose difficulties myself through research. Of course I present my findings to my doctors. Just within the last month, while going through another unsuccessful taper from the decadron, I found an abstract that had shown that tapering my decadron had to be accompanied by a parallel tapering of the dilantin, an anti-seizure medication. My oncologist, neurosurgeon, radiation oncologist, and primary physician had never known that. A subsequent blood panel confirmed it- with the steroid at a very low level , the prescribed dosage of dilantin was way above acceptable levels and was causing my ataxia- losing my balance, tipping over… reducing the dilantin level immediately corrected the problem. You can imagine- tipping over backwards is not a real good thing…Dr. Mikey saying good night- again, nice to see you Xoot,

10. chipower9 said, on January 11, 2013 at 6:59 am

I am with you Craig, the timing on MLB’s announcment is a bit shady.

Here is the link to one of a number of articles on the expanded testing:

One of my favorite quotes in the article that had me literally LMAO was the following quote by His Budness (this in reference to the expanded testing):

”This is a proud and a great day for baseball,” commissioner Bud Selig said following two days of owners’ meetings. ”We’ll continue to be a leader in this field and do what we have to do.”

Continue to be a leader? You mean like you were back at the beginning of the roid era? Oh, that’s right…he buried his head in the fucking sand and jumped on the “Chicks Love the Long Ball” bandwagon with everyone else and their brother. That quote is just fucking ludicrous.

I am not necessarily against expanded testing…but as Flavor said, the timing sure seems a bit suspect.

11. pawliekokonuts said, on January 11, 2013 at 7:22 am

It’s all PR. As in public relations, not Puerto Rico. And as for PUBLIC relations, keep it private, folks.

• twinfan1 said, on January 11, 2013 at 8:04 am

What PUBLIC relations would you be referring to?

• pawliekokonuts said, on January 11, 2013 at 3:20 pm

The public relationship between MLB and its fans. My whole comment was frankly stoooopid. Sometimes overarching wordplay gets in the way of straightforward communications. (Just ask the hed writers for USA Today. They do it all the time.)

12. pawliekokonuts said, on January 11, 2013 at 7:23 am

Um, guess what happened 40 years ago today in baseball. The AL adopted the DH. And that spells s-a-d.

13. unca_chuck said, on January 11, 2013 at 8:40 am

So. presenting my side of the steroid thing is ‘aggrssive’? Please. Don’t be such a weenie. I’m sorry if you can’t see anything from anywhere but your point of view Forest for the trees and all that.

Been fun hanging with the rest of you. I’m out.

• twinfan1 said, on January 11, 2013 at 10:42 am

But you’ll keep the ring, I hope..
      Chuck, in the thread on my blog, I did not present my personal view, I presented the views of the opposing sides of whether steroids should be allowed for pro athletes. The debate was on NPR in 2008, and I provided excerpts of the comments from 2 men from each side. l also gave links to their comments during the debate and a link to the edited debate itself, which was moderated by the decidely anti-steroid Bob Costas. Any editing was done by NPR, not Michael Scott. You did not make any response to the debate on NPR, you only attacked my opinion that had been stated here.
      Here’s the link that has everything and more that I used in compiling the thread. It was a completely unbiased thread that was presented to allow people from both sides to express their views. Now let’s just get along-you’re Chuck, not Chuckes, I’m Michael or Mike if you like, not Skippy.

14. Flavor said, on January 11, 2013 at 9:22 am

Kokonuts— get ready to get sadder. The DH is coming to the NL, my guess is within 2 years…..
    Unca— you can’t be out. if you’re out then I have to be out on your blog since only a pussy would frequent the blog of another blog owner who’s sworn off the other dude’s blog.
    Get it?
    Yeah buddy!

• chipower9 said, on January 11, 2013 at 11:50 am

Hey, we all disagree sometimes. What is important is to know when to agree to disagree, and be civil about it. WTF…there are a lot of knowledgeable people on this (and the other blogs), and for one to drop out would be sad.

• Nipper said, on January 11, 2013 at 2:08 pm

All hail the DH!

15. dirtnrocksnomo said, on January 11, 2013 at 9:37 am

Try as I might I just don’t give a shit about the HOF vote (or lack thereof) this year. Bonds should be in but I bet the writers would have maid him wait a year whether he took the juice or not. He just didn’t kiss their ass enough and sportswriters are vindictive little bitches that way.

On another note. Anyone else notice that Bleacher Report has take over the CNN sports link?

• Salty said, on January 11, 2013 at 11:46 am

I also feel pretty indifferent about about the HOF vote this year and whether Bonds or other PED users got in or not. Maybe because it was expected. But maybe it’s because of the personalities of the players excluded. Shouldn’t matter when voting them in, but as a fan, it’s a factor in the end whether I honestly give a damn or not.

• twinfan1 said, on January 11, 2013 at 12:27 pm

A year? I’d guess 5 at the earliest, O/U at 10 for both he and Clemens. Sosa the same year Aaron Sele gets in.

16. twinfan1 said, on January 11, 2013 at 9:57 am

The HOF has every right to set the criteria it wants it’s inductees to meet, and by extension, the voters have an obligation to consider the criteria the HOF expects( as long as the rules are not illegal or discrimatory). So if a voter thinks PED use is cheating and there is evidence that the prospective inductee is/was a PED user, the voter is entirely right to not vote for the player. And it doesn’t matter if, in , Bonds case in particular,he was qualified befor the use began. If the opinion of the voter is that performance enhancing through steroid use is cheating-the player does meet the legimate requirements for induction.One can disagree with the character clause but it’s a reasonable requirement for admission or employment to any club, school, business, trade, or Friday Night Poker get together.It’s completely hypocrital to rail against “juicers” gaining an unfair advantage and at the same time rail against their exclusion from the Hall.
    But there’s the rub- enhancing performance has ALWAYS been approved and in fact medicine and science advancements have been made for that very purpose. If one wants to argue about steroid adverse effects, that’s for a medical forum and in any case that a competent adult should not be prohibited from assuming those risks in exchange for the possible benefits. Additionally, the claims about life threatening harms from prescribed use of anabolic steroids are missing peer-reviewed articles in scientific journals to support the claims- so the “hysterians:” make them up- there is not any evidence whatsoever that Alzado’s brain cancer was caused by his use- and he was a prolific *abuser* of steroids. Yet he was trotted out as poster boy for the horrific harm steroids inflict- athletes would be dropping like flies, presumably with their now microscopic testicles pristinely tucked between their thighs..
    My bottom line here is that Bonds, Clemens, Sosa, Palmeiro, McGwire, et al should be elected to the Hall if the voter thinks their achievements merit it AND the voter does not buy into the notion that enhancing performance is wrong. If the voter thinks PED use is cheating, he or she absolutely should vote their concsience and exclude the offender.Or better yet, get educated on the matter, and understand that the problem is not PEDs but the criminalization of them, that properly adminstered doses of anabolic steroids are beneficial enchancers, and leave the question of weighing the risks to the athlete and his/her physician.The only issue that’s the business of anyone else is this “roid rage” issue. It would be too polarizing to go into depth here, I’ll just note that a New England Journal of Medicine study showed that proprly adminstered dose of anabolic steroids did not produce significant changes in mood or behavior.
    As to this sudden burst of heighted concern by the Budster- of course it’s just PR, it always has been. MLB and the owners orchestrated the “Juiced Era” but instead of looking into the science of steroid use and properly regulate it’s use, they used it to increase attendance and later vilify the users. In the former case, it was to save themselves from their own blunders, the latter was a nearly criminal, if not entirely criminal act to paint the users as cheating moral defectives.
    IMO, of course.

• unca_chuck said, on January 11, 2013 at 12:29 pm

If you are going to keep going on this, I’m going to keep respodning, Mike. What you said above applies to every drug under the sun. Heroin, meth, crank, PCP, whatever gets you through the day. ALL drugs affect people differently. High school students who have gone on a steroid regimen and then committed suicide may have had other underlying problems. Maybe not. The thing is, any drug properly administered can cause major problems on some. This is true of every drug. Does that mean ban them all? No, but certainly there hasn’t been near enough research done on the long term affects of steroids. Football player deaths have been attributed to CTE. Could steroid use be an underlying contributor to the prevalence of CTE among football players? Beyond the fact that these guys are bigger and stonger, and thus hit harder, sure. But could there be a problem adding a steroid regimen to a profession where you are subject to repeated blows to the head? It’s possible. You paint steroid use as something that if administered ‘properly’ has no side effects.

The point of steriods is using them to ‘enhance ability’ is NOT the intent of what the drug is supposed to be used for. It’s a drug that is there to help people overcome injuries and deal with weakness due to some other condition, not to build muscle mass and whatever else it does.

Do you consider steroids a recreational drug? Like pot and coke?

• twinfan1 said, on January 11, 2013 at 12:59 pm

I’m talking to others now, Chuck.Please read my 10;42. If you care to respond to that, please do so. Or you may respond to the restored UNBIASED debate on NPR about the topic on my blog. The post itself is exactly as it first was. There is absolutely zero from me other than to introduce the debate and provide links to both side’s positions and the debate itself. If you can’t bring yourself to comment on the debate itself, don’t bother going. All comments there have been removed and you can start over or not. I am not responding to you here on this subject until Sele and Sosa are in the HOF.

• twinfan1 said, on January 11, 2013 at 1:57 pm

I’m sorry but I do want to ask where I could find any stuidies linking steroid use to Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy. Sounds interesting, that would certainly be *huge* medical news.

• xoot said, on January 11, 2013 at 7:24 pm

I’m just starting to read some of the stuff twin has been posting. I’ll check into Zeke’s place, too. But I have to say Dr. Fost knows a helluva lot and really does have a clear-eyed view of things. It’s sort of pathetic that mlb has to be all or nothing–either ignore or ban PED use–and in some ways it’s even worse that the writers voting for the HOF have bought into a similar false dichotomy. I guess the idea is that when the culture sorts out what to do with steroids, then baseball can follow along and deal with them, too. Baseball is not really known for cutting edge social progress (see segregation).

17. Bozo said, on January 11, 2013 at 10:01 am

Forget the retro POTD, we’ve got retro PEDs.

Am I the only one that found the SFGate a little weak on tomorrow’s game. Last I heard the Forty Niners are still in SF and when playing a PO game I would expect more than four articles about the game today (3 on the 9ers, 1 on the Packers). Did I say a little weak?

• twinfan1 said, on January 11, 2013 at 10:59 am

Here’s an ice boat load of stuff from PackerNews, of the Green Bay Press Gazette. This was yesterday, I imagine they’ll have a few hundred pages by tomorrow ;-)

• Bozo said, on January 11, 2013 at 11:36 am

It would seem Green Bay is a bit more interested in this game than our local scribes. I guess the SFgate folks are just waiting for a win or today was a big day in HS sports (befuddled shrug).

18. unca_chuck said, on January 11, 2013 at 1:12 pm

In 49er news Alex Smith looks to be going to Jacksonville, along with OC Greg Roman as their new HC . . .

19. twinfan1 said, on January 11, 2013 at 1:36 pm

I’ve only seen that Roman might be a HC candidate and that Alex might be a possibiilty to join him. Is there something more currrent than yesterday when Barrows and Maicco both reported it was “possible”? I haven’t seen anything that says either of them look to going there,only that Roman might and if he does, Alex might.

20. unca_chuck said, on January 11, 2013 at 1:50 pm

It’s called the powers of deduction, Mike. I’m flattered you hang on my every post . . .

• twinfan1 said, on January 11, 2013 at 2:02 pm

I just assumed, being a 49er expert, that you had heard something new. The possibilty of Roman and Smith going to Jacksonville was rumored even before Caldwell was hired. Old news.

• Nipper said, on January 11, 2013 at 2:11 pm

At least both you guys like dogs.

• twinfan1 said, on January 11, 2013 at 2:35 pm

Nip: Well, until now. Did you know that dog meat tastes somwhat like lamb? I was told that by a Chinese cook I worked with many years ago. If I can catch Zeke, who seems to have ESP, I might try it. I love lamb. Here boy, come on, Zekey. Daddy just wants to pet you… ouch, I guess he thinks *I* taste like lamb..

• chipower9 said, on January 11, 2013 at 3:09 pm

LMAO…atta boy, Zeke!

• twinfan1 said, on January 11, 2013 at 2:18 pm

Chuck, I like the idea of Smith and Roman there. As soon as Caldwell practically lost his dinner when asked whether T-Blow might be a target, Smith became a real strong possibility. We do know that Alex likes Roman, but how much does Roman like Alex ? What do you think?

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on January 11, 2013 at 3:26 pm

Why doesn’t TBow jus tmove to TE or RB or another skill position? He’s never going to make it as a QB.

21. unca_chuck said, on January 11, 2013 at 2:47 pm

Given that there’s no can’t -miss guy in the draft, and Mike Vick isn’t anyone’s idea of a workable solution, then Smith is the best guy to go with. Caldwell could trade for Flynn, but the FA class is crap as well. Besides, familiarity breeds contempt, uh compatibility. Roman and Smith have worked well together for the last 1.5 years.

22. twinfan1 said, on January 11, 2013 at 3:07 pm

We’ve all seen The Catch, and Smith to Davis last year was the Catch 3, Let’s take another look at the Catch 2, Young to TO against the Pack. People might have forgotten that we got two HUGE breaks in the last minute- Rice fumbled and GB recovered, but there was replay and the incorrect ruling on the field that he was down when he lost the ball held up, of course. Then on the throw before the Catch, Young made a terrible throw that appeared to be intercepted but the ball barely touched the ground on the pick and it was correctly ruled incomplete. Then came the Stumble and The Catch 2… will be there be more last second dramatics tomorrow? Or will we blow them away?

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on January 11, 2013 at 3:38 pm

I think GB wins a close one with Akers blowing the winning FG.

If CK lays a steamer in the 1st half what does Harbaugh do? Insert Smith or have CK play through?

23. dirtnrocksnomo said, on January 11, 2013 at 3:16 pm

Jacksonville was near the bottom of the league in defense and rushing. Other than Roman, why would Smith want to go there and be 3 years from playoff contention? I would think he would be more interested in a place like Minnesota or KC.

24. pawliekokonuts said, on January 11, 2013 at 3:23 pm

It’s a trifle, but here’s a link to ROUNDING THIRD: ZEN.BASEBALL.POEMS. Hey, there’s a chapter of thumbnail words sketches of YOUR 2012 WORLD CHAMPIONS! bit.ly/Vr4jR5

25. pawliekokonuts said, on January 11, 2013 at 3:26 pm

Not sure the link works. Here’s an alternative.

OK. Thanks for indulging me. Now back to whateverthefeck you were doing.

26. unca_chuck said, on January 11, 2013 at 3:27 pm

KC is a bigger mess than Jax. Does anyone think Reid can turn that ship around? Would he even WANT Smith? Maybe, but that team is a couple years away as well. The Jets? Clusterfuck supreme. Minnesota is sticking with Ponder. He got them to the playoffs after all. Smith won’t go there to be a backup. If Whizzenhurtz didn’t get canned, Smith’s best fit would have been AZ. It still may be, but the Niners won’t trade him there.

Other than that, Cleveland has some good young players, and their AARP rookie Weeden wasn’t all that spectacular. Smith could win that starting spot given the chance.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on January 11, 2013 at 3:31 pm

I think that is what he wants. A real opportunity to win the job. That ship sailed in SF. I hadn’t thought of the Browns. No way he goes to NY.

• snarkk said, on January 11, 2013 at 4:18 pm

Norv rumored to be going to Cleve to be OC. Alex might want to take that opportunity…

• Nipper said, on January 11, 2013 at 4:22 pm

Chuck thinking…..about the future….

27. unca_chuck said, on January 11, 2013 at 3:39 pm

Thing is, if the Niners decide to trade him (if there’s a market, which as I said, there are no can’t-miss draft picks, and teh FA class is bad, there very well could be a bidding war) they COULD trade him to the J-E-T-S. Or simply release him and let him make his own deal before 4/1 (the day his $8 mill contract kicks in).

With all the coaching changes, one would think a new HC/GM would want to get a fresh start with a new QB, so you’d think Smith would be sought after before he hits the market, and his price tag goes higher.

The flipside is no one shows interest and teams simply wait for the Niners to release him. The free agent market opens 3/12, but teams still have the draft later in April. As noted, neither offer much. Which is why I think Smith gets traded before he hits the open market.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on January 11, 2013 at 3:54 pm

Can’t Smith just refuse to report if SF trades him somewhere he doesn’t want to go. SF should just release him and let him go on his way.

28. unca_chuck said, on January 11, 2013 at 3:44 pm

Damn, Pawlie. Gonna have to start calling you Stephen King. Or James Patterson. A new book every 2 weeks . . . !

• Nipper said, on January 11, 2013 at 4:25 pm

And Chuck is buying everyone!

• pawliekokonuts said, on January 11, 2013 at 4:27 pm

That’s what oils the gears of raw capitalism: FECKING QUANTITY!

• blade3colorado said, on January 11, 2013 at 4:41 pm

LMAO.

29. blade3colorado said, on January 11, 2013 at 4:10 pm

Hey Flappers . . . I just wrote another blog post, “My Remedy For Wishing I Was Back In The “World”

• pawliekokonuts said, on January 11, 2013 at 4:30 pm

I’ll waltz right over there now.

• pawliekokonuts said, on January 11, 2013 at 4:42 pm

Hey, Flappers. I just read Steve’s post. Wow. An engaging and reflective snapshot of a moment in time. (How does he always surround himself with such hot chicas?)

• blade3colorado said, on January 11, 2013 at 4:46 pm

Again, thank you for the kind words. :-)

30. zumiee said, on January 11, 2013 at 5:01 pm

When Selig was asked by a reporter if he was disappointed that no one got in the HOF this year, Selig actually scoffed and said no. The scoff amused me. Selig spent most of his adult life selling cars; he has all the cheesiness and amateur acting ability you’d expect from a car salesman.

• pawliekokonuts said, on January 11, 2013 at 5:15 pm

. . . and he dresses for the part. (Gee, I miss BowTie’s sartorial statements.)

31. Bozo said, on January 11, 2013 at 7:29 pm

Off subject(s) and for the computer guys – is this Java threat the real deal and should I disable Java?

• Bozo said, on January 11, 2013 at 7:29 pm

I have a PC not a Mac.

• Bozo said, on January 11, 2013 at 7:37 pm

This is the LA Times article

• twinfan1 said, on January 11, 2013 at 8:00 pm

I should have mentioned it- short answer is YES.
        Here’s how to do it:

• blade3colorado said, on January 11, 2013 at 8:25 pm

I did this about a week and a half ago for my PC (Chrome and Firefox browsers). I didn’t think IOS platforms were affected, then I read Bozo’s article. Still, I am wondering how Apple “remotely” does this, or as the article says, “Apple said it is heeding the advice and has remotely disabled Java for most Mac users.” Also, “most?”

32. twinfan1 said, on January 11, 2013 at 9:40 pm

Alex might have thrown his last pass as 49er, and whatever one may have thought about him over the years, it’s been a rocky road for him and took the bumps and bruises, and ups and downs like a man. A couple years ago I said he’d become one of the most loved 49ers one day. That got a lot of laughs and it may not happen while he’s still here, but as the years pass- he will be remembered fondly. Whatever happens as team moves forward without him, and we hope that Kap finishes off our return to greatness- he’s the QB who finally made us remember the excitement of the glory years-never more so than in what was a game most QBs have only dreamt about-the playoff game against New Orleans-what has been called the greatest fourth quarter comeback(s) in playoff history. If that’s all he’ll he remembered for, it’s a great memory indeed. Here’s a very cool video about a very cool guy. And if you didn’t notice it before, check him out on that last beautiful drive. Cooler than the other side of the pillow. And check out how he blows off the Saints as he leaves the field- you’ll know why after you hear Greg Williams before the game… enjoy this, it’s a gem..

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 496 other followers