Gynormous 49er Game

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on January 11, 2013

The one cool thing that football has over baseball: it’s always sudden death in the playoffs. I love sudden death. The baseball playoffs certainly don’t mirror the speed of the sport in the regular season, but as a fan you at least get to settle in for a journey. A process. If you have home field advantage and you lose game 1, everyone huddles around the water cooler at work debating just how devastating the loss actually was. It’s funny if you think about it. How often do the Giants lose the opening game of a home series and there’s barely a grumble from the fans. But goddammit, lose Game 1 of the playoffs and you’re at least shitting in your pants a little bit.

Lose a football playoff game, and you’re done. Win and you get at least another game. Until you win the Super Bowl. Love it.

And tomorrow, my favorite team plays their first and hopefully not last playoff game this season. Just as I did last year, I’ve got several things planned throughout the day to distract me (or focus me, depending on how you look at it) before the game starts. Going on a run with a friend in the morning, coaching my mad-skilled girl’s hoops team at noon, maybe betting on a race or two and then…..sitting on my couch and watching the madness unfold.

Growing up, my playoff experiences were few and far between with the local teams. The Dubs were almost never in it. I remember Phoenix and Charles Barkley sweeping them at some point in the late 80′s. They put the beat down on RUN TMC (still one of the greatest nicknames in all of sports) that year. But I didn’t boo-hoo it too much. My Giants playoff experience growing up can be summed up in 2 non-WS-winning seasons: In ’87, my man-crush with Jeff Leonard was solidified. And in ’89 I jumped out of my college dorm 2nd story window after Will Clark hit the most perfect, majestic night time grand slam in the history of my life. Zimmer still wishes he’d brought Assenmacher in. Hindsight, I know……

For some reason, I was much more emotionally reactive to Niner playoff football games. I learned a little bit of how to lose your mind from watching my dad. I was at his house watching the game and after Clark caught it my old man made a bee-line for the door and tore ass out of the house, down the street. He was gone. There are conflicting reports (between he and I) of how many actual clothes he tore off on his maniacal dash around the block. I’m telling you, he came back largely naked, and that’s giving him the benefit of the doubt….

In ’83 I was at the playoff game where we dramatically beat Detroit. The next game in Washington had me literally throwing shit against the walls of the tv room in protest of the absurd pass interference calls against the Niners late in the 4th.

I will never forget how hard Jim Burt hit Joe Montana in the ’86 divisional playoffs. It devastated me.

And the loss to the Giants in 1990 NFC Championship is a point in my life where I briefly went insane. We were on our way to the super bowl, all we had to do was run out the clock. The usual adrenaline was building inside me, our rightful place in the most coveted championship game was but 2 minutes away. I was in full knowing (and drunken) dude head nod-zone. And then *the worst* happened. I’m not talking about a natural disaster or one of my family members dying. It was way worse than that.  Roger Craig….fumbled. I screamed so loudly it’s a sound that still wakes me up at night.  I was broken. I was watching the game with some college buddies but I couldn’t do anything but slump “face down ass up” in the center of the living room for what seemed like days. It was probably 5 minutes. After I picked myself up off the orange shag carpet, I knew I had to do something. There  had to be a plan. And it had to happen very quickly or my head was gonna slam back down into that carpet, with great force……

The Plan: I was going to drive from Portland, Oregon down to SF and kill Roger Craig. I’d never killed anyone before, didn’t know how I was gonna do it I just knew that he must die. I announced this bold claim to my drunk friends and headed down the steps to my car with my crew laughing and following behind me in as straight a line as the guy in front could muster. I got in, fired up the ’87 Fox and sped off down I-5 toward my target…..

At the first exit I pulled off to get beer and while still fuming in line about this incomprehensible turn of events, I decided to abort the plan and just go home. Me and the fella’s shot-gunned the Oly 12 pack I’d bought in about 3 minutes……

My point with this long, drawn out thread is to emphasize just how much Niner playoff games mean to me. I have seriously softened my approach as a fan over the last 20 years. Roger Craig could commit the same mistake today and I’d probably just swear at the tv and punch the couch or something…..

But this shit still means a lot to me. And I’m nervously anticipating the outcome of the game tonight. I truly believe that Justin Smith won’t be able to play to his ability, or even be serviceable. In fact, if I wasn’t a fan I’d hammer Green Bay on the money line…….

One thing I do think will happen: the game is going *over*. Way over. I got 45 and I couldn’t be more confident. It was the first time in a while I had to check myself on the amount that I’d bet. And if I’m wrong, I promise one thing and I’ve got no problem putting it in writing:

Regardless of the ultimate total, Roger Craig will continue to live…..

:) :) :)

About these ads

1. twinfan1 said, on January 11, 2013 at 10:02 pm

Alex might have thrown his last pass as 49er, and whatever one may have thought about him over the years, it’s been a rocky road for him and took the bumps and bruises, and ups and downs like a man. A couple years ago I said he’d become one of the most loved 49ers one day. That got a lot of laughs and it may not happen while he’s still here, but as the years pass- he will be remembered fondly. Whatever happens as team moves forward without him, and we hope that Kap finishes off our return to greatness- he’s the QB who finally made us remember the excitement of the glory years-never more so than in what was a game most QBs have only dreamt about-the playoff game against New Orleans-what has been called the greatest fourth quarter comeback(s) in playoff history. If that’s all he’ll he remembered for, it’s a great memory indeed. Here’s a very cool video about a very cool guy. And if you didn’t notice it before, check him out on that last beautiful drive. Cooler than the other side of the pillow. And check out how he blows off the Saints as he leaves the field- you’ll know why after you hear Greg Williams before the game… enjoy this, it’s a gem..

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on January 12, 2013 at 10:03 am

The fan reactions are great. And then harbaugh shanks Alex in the back.

2. twinfan1 said, on January 11, 2013 at 10:27 pm

As to the game itself, it’s scary that the guys who they might need to be at their best might be the most iffy- Kap, JSmith, and Akers. Kap simply because he’s basically a rookie in his first postseason, Smith because of the injury, and Akers- well, he’s “Wide” Richey this year and he’s missed crucial postseason kicks against the Pack before (Eagles-Packers, 1-9 -2011).
    But I’m geting psyched watching the NO game last year so my head may say no, but my heart wins the day- 24-23 Niners and Akers redeems himself from 41 to win it…

3. unca_chuck said, on January 11, 2013 at 10:48 pm

If he lines up from 47 I’ll croak before he kicks it .. . .

Love the post., Flav. My angst goes back to the late 60s sucking and the heartbreak of the Brodie playoff losses. Losing was much more palpably felt, and the losses were dreadful. The Niners have lost the most NFC championship games since they started them in the merger year of 1970, with a few assorted losses in the divisional round. The only 49er playoff loss I didn’t personally suffer through was the 1957 loss to Deetroit. Which really made the high of the 1981 season all the sweeter. Last year SHOULD have been that magic type season. Which is why that more than anything worries me about this season. But that’s just my doubts bubbling to the surface.

I mean really, I got over KW’s transgressions in a couple days. Preston Riley still draws my ire if I dwell on him too long. I’m sure I told you when we got home from that game, we found out our house had been robbed. Great day all around.

• twinfan1 said, on January 11, 2013 at 11:17 pm

Weren’t you 50 last year?You’re still grieving over a loss when you were EIGHT? Chuck, I feel for you, guy. Have the wife bring you warm milk and a nice cookie. Tuck you in and read you a nice story- “A Moment of Infamy-A Day in the Life of….Preston Riley!!!

4. unca_chuck said, on January 11, 2013 at 10:51 pm

Green Bay’s defense isn’t all that scary.

Kappy’s been in the system for 2 years. He isn’t a rookie. Playoff rook? Sure, but it isn’t like he’s coming in cold.

• twinfan1 said, on January 11, 2013 at 11:07 pm

I wasn’t knocking him. He’s started 7 games in the NFL, he’s basically a rookie and ANY QB in his first playoff game is a crapshoot,
      And get over Riley, he’s a frigging Gramp Pa on Medicare now.

• twinfan1 said, on January 11, 2013 at 11:22 pm

I’m just kidding around. But the Smith video really is a good one. Only a Fear type wouldn’t enjoy it.

5. twinfan1 said, on January 11, 2013 at 11:53 pm

I have an exciting new post- “Fava Beans and Chianti” at

Don’t be fraidy cats, just lock your doors and you’ll be OK.
    The second video features some really great ass. You won’t want to miss it.

• blade3colorado said, on January 12, 2013 at 7:35 am

If you guys get a chance, see Twin’s video . . . This shit is funnier than anything I’ve recently seen on TV. “Human Placenta.” Hilarious.

6. eddacker said, on January 12, 2013 at 1:44 am

my library came through. I know hold in my arms “Hippie Dream” ‘Waging Heavy Peace’
    I am on page one and I cannot stop crying. For those of us lucky enough to have come of age in the 60s this man gave us so much love.
    I only wish I could give him a little back.

7. eddacker said, on January 12, 2013 at 1:46 am

I know we get the Super Bowl, will a SF team be there?
    Playoffs are on pay per view sports channel, but I do get a one hour highlight show.
    go 9ers

8. zumiee said, on January 12, 2013 at 2:29 am

BF’s post made me think of the movie “Buffalo ’66.” Loosely based on Buffalo missing the fieldgoal in the Super Bowl against the N.Y. Giants. In the film, Buffalo is playing for the AFC championship in 1966 and loses when the kicker misses a fieldgoal. The intensity of fans, and the intensity of the heartbreak at these kinds of losses is remarkable.
    The only 49er playoff game I’ve ever been to was the playoff game the Niners lost to Green Bay in 1995. The Packers were like a bunch of no-names that came out of nowhere. The Niner fans were in shock heading out to the parking lots after the game.

• unca_chuck said, on January 12, 2013 at 8:20 am

Rainy cold miserable day that was . . .

9. eddacker said, on January 12, 2013 at 2:37 am

fuck the yankmees
    Jon Stewart, last night, Mets fan that he is, acknowledged the Giants
    winners that they are

10. eddacker said, on January 12, 2013 at 2:45 am

still haven’t got beyond page one, I am afraid that my hero will turn out to be a real drag

11. eddacker said, on January 12, 2013 at 3:02 am

Thanks for reminding me.
    I now have tickets for the London game v the Jaguars
    who says baseball is my only sport?

12. eddacker said, on January 12, 2013 at 3:03 am

Pawlie is a big traveller, meet up?

13. eddacker said, on January 12, 2013 at 3:20 am

OK, you have me on board. Thanks for your enthusiasm
    Paid the money, got all games

14. eddacker said, on January 12, 2013 at 3:22 am

watching F1 just now, Red Bull and their new star Sebastian Vettel
    brilliant sport

15. eddacker said, on January 12, 2013 at 4:56 am

I don’t think I am going to be able to finish this biography
    I am at page 10 and balling like a baby

16. Bozo said, on January 12, 2013 at 5:42 am

One of my favorite things about the Flap is reading what I’ve missed the next morning. Sometimes it’s a spirited discussion that continued on. Sometimes Ted is on some kind of roll. Maybe it’s one of the East Coast gang, up late and fired up. The kicker for me is when Paulinasia or my main man Edd checks in. Edd I gotta tell you, sometimes I’m not in tune with what you’re writing about, but I love it just the same.

Playoff day and birthday weekend. Like last years game against the Saints, we’ve got a motel room in Nags Head, across the street from The Lucky 12 Tavern. Winter walk on the beach, Niner POs, good bar food and booze, now THAT is what I’m talking about. Not to mention a hearty fisherman style breakfast at the Nags Head Pier Sunday morning (if I wait until noon, I could have a bloody with my eggs. I know, I know, fucking bible belt).

GO
    ers, ers, ers, ers, ers, ers, ers, ers, ers (that would be 9 ers)!.

• Bozo said, on January 12, 2013 at 7:48 am

Now that was a great, great day. I think I’ll have a morning beer to celebrate.

17. unca_chuck said, on January 12, 2013 at 8:18 am

Say’ Preston Riley’ to any fan of that era and you get the same reaction. Sorry you are too jaded to be a true fan, Mike.

Maybe it was because our house was trashed by the thieves and I saw my brother almost get shot in the back by a cop, so no, that wasn’t a good day.

• twinfan1 said, on January 12, 2013 at 8:55 am

Didn’t Mommy give you that warm milk, Chuckie? Even the hardest of hard core fans must surely have forgiven a 65 year old man his terrible moment . Actually I was really old enough to not have skipped bible class to see the game, in fact I was in the booth with my Dad and Pat Summerall. As I think I recounted before, in 1972 I had not yet moved to SF- in fact it was the year Merna and I were married in Minneapolis. So I was indeed not a 49er fan at that time, although I disliked the Cowboys enough to have to leave the booth lest my cries go nation wide. Anyway, it’s time to forgive, have that cookie and your morning hair of the dog, call it breakfast, and rake some leaves. BTW, it’s extremely bizarre to include the second paragraph of your 8:18 with the earlier part. Extremely bizarre.

• unca_chuck said, on January 12, 2013 at 2:54 pm

I’ve told the story before, oh forgetful one. When we got back from the game, we found out our house had been robbed. Called the cops, the rest was what it was.

• twinfan1 said, on January 12, 2013 at 8:03 pm

I’ve heard your story, but it has nothing to do with anything I posted.

• shaman138 said, on January 12, 2013 at 10:39 am

Also the very same day as the “immaculate reception” game.

18. twinfan1 said, on January 12, 2013 at 8:29 am

Dirt, I hadn’t seen it before,glad to hear my recomendations on cleaning up your PC worked out.. You should check out “Fava Beans and Chianti” at http://zekesplace.wordpress.com/..
    These videos are quite funny (thanks for the ‘”review”,Blade), no one is noshing on the plump thigh of a recently departed beauty queen, although in his indispensable THE UNEXPURGATED CODE: A COMPLETE MANUAL OF SURVIVAL & MANNERS, J.P. Donleavy discusses the etiquette one expects of the landed gentry. “For instance, if you survive an airplane crash and perforce must resort to cannibalism, Donleavy advises that “racial and color repugnancies…should never become criteria when asking for another helping. However having a genuine gustatory preference it should be couched in requesting white, yellow or dark meat and never for a bit of Pole, Chink or Nigger.”
    Donleavy was most known for “The Ginger Man”, a ruthlesssly sexist yet hilarious account of Sebastian Dangerfield’s adventures. But The Unexpurgated Code is my favorite, filled with advice as above and with very un-PC hints on farting in elevators, using other pedestrians as shields from oncoming traffic, and the occasional very funny, bittersweet, and oh so true pearls such this one that we will all most likely face the truth of:
    “Upon Encountering Happiness: Be wary at such times since most of life’s blows fall then.”
    As an Amazon reviewer notes, it was reviewed at the time as “The SOB’s Emily Post”. It belongs on the table next to the bidet in every gentleman’s (?) manor. We all do have bidets, do we not?
    Anyway, it’s a *great* read and the best part, it’s funny everytime you dig into it, as I have for a couple decades..
    There is even advice on your final leave taking should life’s blows become a burden no longer tolerable:
    “Should those blows fall with the relentless tempo bastinado, Donleavy recommends suicide as a graceful leave-taking. He considers poison, shotgun blasts and defenestrasion déclassé, but ‘an elegantly embellished revolver firing straight into your heart a platinum plated bullet engraved with your armorial bearings is a stylish and dignified finishing stroke.”

• Bozo said, on January 12, 2013 at 8:51 am

I don’t remember which book it was but Donleavy had a character that would say fuck all the time. When the main character asked him why, he said something like – so when I fucking say something, the fucking Fucks know that I fucking mean what I’m fucking saying. I wish I could remember which book it was because I thought it was pretty fucking funny.

19. willedav said, on January 12, 2013 at 8:51 am

the finality of loser go home will mean the losing coaches from here on out will have some splainin to do…whether it’s GB (lack of) defense, atl/sea, flacco/schaub, et al. Harbs, if he loses certainly.
    I still think smith losing twice to the NY Giants did him in. I realize kyle williams put him in a hole he didn’t deserve, but being unable to rally his team when he had the ball, and being completely unable to generate anything in the home game this season had to have Harbs thinking he needed to go different direction to beat the Giants (who imploded after that game), who won it all last year on a late comeback by Eli over Brady.
    Caller last night to tolbert was a hawks fan who envisioned seatlle/denver for the big one. Man, that would be completely unwatchable, unless bud could step in and the game could be declared a tie.

20. blade3colorado said, on January 12, 2013 at 9:45 am

Mike, I need help with a KML or CSV file (a world map from Traveler’s point . . . http://www.travellerspoint.com/member_map.cfm?user=blade3colorado&tripid=403075 that I want to imbed on my blog. They have a link, which is easy to do, as well as a way to paste HTML to embed the map in a website (which I thought would be the easiest way. Anywho, I am stumped on how to do it. Also, I don’t think I have a program to even open KML files (Adobe doesn’t work) . . . Thanks . . . Apologize to Flappers for non baseball shit. :-)

21. Macdog said, on January 12, 2013 at 9:48 am

I have no dog in this fight, but since this is a quasi-49ers blog for the time being, I’ll go with the flow and take the Niners. Besides, there’s too many “experts” running with the Pack. The Vikes showed it’s not all that hard to run on Green Bay, so Gore and Kaepernick will do likewise, Kaepernick and Crabtree will make enough big plays, and the defense will put enough pressure on Rodgers. As for the kicking game, Mason Crosby ain’t exactly a sure thing, either. Niners 31-27. No matter what the outcome, I’d bet on this: The winner is going to New Orleans.

22. dirtnrocksnomo said, on January 12, 2013 at 10:11 am

I’ll watch the game but after the way Smith got screwed over this year I just have less enthusiasm than I usually would and I am sick of people telling me I am not a fan because i feel that way about it. I’ve seen CK in game action more than 90% of the people out there. I used to work with some former UNR players who were on teams with him and loved the guy. I hope for nothing but the best for CK and I think he is a good player but I just have a bitter taste this year and enjoy it less. Twin’s video just illustrates to me what a piece of shit Harbaugh is.

Having said all that I think this game comes down to Ackers leg and GB by 3.

• Chico said, on January 12, 2013 at 10:45 am

Heh.. I made the trek to Reno a few years ago with a bunch of Cal alums to see Cal play Reno. Colin single handedly kicked the crap out of us.. It was a quiet ride home.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on January 12, 2013 at 10:56 am

He’s a real talent and I think he’ll be good. I just think Smith is better for the team as currently constructed.

23. Chico said, on January 12, 2013 at 10:49 am

Nice blog post! Detailed, and honest.. Good read Flav.. 34-21 Niners.

• Chico said, on January 12, 2013 at 12:38 pm

Oops, I meant 24-21 Niners.

24. Flavor said, on January 12, 2013 at 10:55 am

twin, I just watched the video you posted last night. Brilliant. Epic. It’s impossible to not bond with those Niner fans at the end.
    And Dirt, I agree with you about how Smith got jobbed on this deal. But it doesn’t sway my enthusiasm for today’s game in the slightest. I love Jim Harbaugh. He brought the NIners back to the cusp of their glory years. Whether he’s an ass or two faced or a guy drowning in his own hubris is inconsequential to me. Unless we lose and then I will probably start to have a problem with him.
    But not now.
    Not yet……

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on January 12, 2013 at 10:59 am

I guess I have always been more a fan of individual players and their “arc” so to speak and find Smith’s story really compelling. He’s fought through so much to get to the cusp of greatness only to have it ripped. It’s a damn shame. I don’t know why I feel that way about it. I was never a big Smith follower or anything. I guess that why we’re called fanatics I guess. It’s irrational sometimes.

• Flavor said, on January 12, 2013 at 11:07 am

i wouldn’t call it irrational. Anyone that watched the ride Smith took culminating in that Saints game last year can’t help but be swayed into celebrating FOR him as well as along with him. I’m a big Smith fan, I wish him well and he’ll be one of the few players I follow after they leave one of my teams that I actually actively root for…..

25. Chico said, on January 12, 2013 at 11:28 am

Yeah, I’ll be rooting for Alex wherever he ends up too.. The guy is a class act and that’s not even up for debate.

26. pawliekokonuts said, on January 12, 2013 at 11:31 am

That’s some top-tier shit you wrote up at the top, Magnus. I’m a nominal football fan, but your evangelism has recruited me into the ranks of The Cardinal fans, advancing my bi-coastal lunacy. For some bizarre reason, or maybe just two words — Joe Montana — I caved and became a Niners fan around 1981. I grew up as a NY Giants football fan, and why not? They took the name from our baseball team, etc. etc. etc. and Andy Robustelli went to our church and I played CYO or church league stuff with his kid Ricky. Plus, when I was a teacher, my student Mike Fenlon was an SF Giants fan and he told me back in the Seventies he was on board with the Niners. Made sense. Last night on Twitter some dude had Niners Empire folks “reppin’” where they hailed from. Was kind of cool. I’m in. Go, Niners! No jumping out of windows, okay? You’re too old for that shit, plus you’ve got a kid.

27. pawliekokonuts said, on January 12, 2013 at 11:35 am

There’s another simple reason to root for the 49ers: the way I hear the so-called palaver-, pablum-spouting pundits, Aaron Rodgers has this in the bag, Green Bay is favored, yadda yadda yadda bing bang. We know where THAT kind of talk leads! BLEEP. (By the way, off topic, but on baseball, any rumblings out there on Brian Wilson?)

28. twinfan1 said, on January 12, 2013 at 12:12 pm

I’ve seen a lot of media guys picking the Niners. And they’re favored by three. But I think it’s reasonable to expect a tough game. As far as what Dirt said about this “true fan” stuff, I’ve decided that since I’ll be rooting as hard for the Niners as anyone here despite that the fact that my father is in the Green Bay Packer HOF, I’m going to declare myself the truest Niner fan of all…and the rottenest son ;-)

• Chico said, on January 12, 2013 at 12:26 pm

Very cool Mike. What an honor.

• pawliekokonuts said, on January 12, 2013 at 1:21 pm

Mike, heck, I certainly wouldn’t blame you if you went for both or even just the Packers. I have some sentimental link to GB too. My late brother was a fan, I believe, at least when he lived in Madison, Wisconsin, in the early Sixties.

29. twinfan1 said, on January 12, 2013 at 12:38 pm

Steve: on the bottom of the page I’m linking, is a blurb about Travelerspoint where he says they have a feature to “save trip” and then embed the map in your blog. Does this help?

• blade3colorado said, on January 12, 2013 at 1:00 pm

Mike, I wrote you a message on your blog with regard to this . . . Hope that helps articulate what I am trying to do.

30. xoot said, on January 12, 2013 at 12:56 pm

The psychology of fandom is probably a pretty interesting area of inquiry for your more imaginative shrink. I’ll bet they do brain scans that blaze with multi-colored lights when the fanatic subject watches video clips of the favored team doing well or getting ass whupped. Unlike other addictions, however, I think fandom has inexplicable gradations of intensity. For example, if the Giants had moved to Tampa in 1992, I’d still be a Giants fan, no doubt about it. But I found my love for the 49ers fading when the Yorks took over and gave us the dark ages of Erickson-Nolan-Singletary. In some recent years, my strongest reaction after watching a 9ers game was regret that Frank Gore and Patrick Willis had no team around them. I was on the point of letting it all go. My kids, who grew up watching games with me, couldn’t understand. They worried I’d become afflicted with some sort of old-timers’ disease. Maybe I had.

I’m feeling better these days. A lot better. This is a hell of a team. They had a few flat games this season, and you’ve all touched on the problems facing them now. But they’re back. I’m feeling antsy and distracted today. The old mysterious synapses just can’t wait to fire up for tonight’s game. Prediction? Well, a returning fan’s amateur guess — they throw to Davis and Moss a lot, surprising GB and the 9ers win by 10 (and it’ll definitely go over 45).

31. unca_chuck said, on January 12, 2013 at 2:57 pm

Gee Twin, you roast me for my fandom, but not Flav’s post?

• unca_chuck said, on January 12, 2013 at 3:09 pm

The youngsters call that being a creeper.

• twinfan1ichael said, on January 12, 2013 at 3:30 pm

What’s your problem this time? Chuck, I think you need to spit out the definition of a “creeper” you are referring to. The comment is treading a fine line depending on what you say. So think carefully before you respond.

• Flavor said, on January 12, 2013 at 4:03 pm

I dont think that’s what the kids call being a “creeper”.

• twinfan1 said, on January 12, 2013 at 4:45 pm

Oops.

32. unca_chuck said, on January 12, 2013 at 4:03 pm

No problem here. Just wondering why you react to Flav’s post about wanting to murder Roget Craig with nothing. I say I’m still a little irked about Preston Riley and you go off on me. Just wondering why you feel the need to respond to me and no one elses’ take on their fandom.

Hence Creeper.

• Flavor said, on January 12, 2013 at 4:04 pm

I’m hoping my death threat to RC was taken in proper context

• blade3colorado said, on January 12, 2013 at 5:00 pm

By Flappers? Certainly. U.S. Government? Just think of that drone in the sky above your house as surveillance . . . hehehe :-)

• twinfan1 said, on January 12, 2013 at 5:11 pm

After your 1,000 death threat towards a 49er, you get on the watch list. It’s called the Delmar Line…

• xoot said, on January 12, 2013 at 4:30 pm

If Flavor had driven to the Bay Area that night and tracked down Roger Craig, when he confronted the forlorn running back he would’ve said, with overflowing sympathy, man, you’ll never believe this: I drove hundreds of miles to kill you for what you did. And Roger C would’ve looked up and responded, with heroic contrition, man, I’m glad you did. They would’ve hugged and become friends for life.

• Flavor said, on January 12, 2013 at 4:40 pm

Ha–fantastic post. I’ve seen him in public many times since then (he’s all about the sports bar scene in palo alto. I’ve almost approached him but a lot of pro athletes frequent the bars and restaurants around here and no one initiates anything “fan-y”. But he shoots the shit with everyone, as long as its not “omg, you’re roger Craig!”
        I’ve had several conversations with Harris Barton over the years. Rathman too. Barton knows my name, i know his wife theyre both cool as hell. our daughter’s compete in the same swim meets.
        But I’ve yet to find the opening to approach RC and say, “hey, so you’ll never believe what I almost did after that fumble…”

• twinfan1 said, on January 12, 2013 at 4:47 pm

Flavor might be more insulted you by this Chuck, but until now I had not read one single word of his thread start. Reading it now confirms that you bumped your noggin on your last Bondo roof repair.

• unca_chuck said, on January 12, 2013 at 10:45 pm

Huh? Try English next time, skippy. Let’s see. Flav says he wants to murder Craig and gets in his car to do the deed, Silly as it is. I say I’m irked over a play from 1972, and I’m the one that overreacted?

You just have to react to my posts. Creeper.

33. Salty said, on January 12, 2013 at 4:12 pm

Looking forward to this game but I’m seeing nothing here to alleviate my fear of a GB victory. How the hell do they stop Rodgers with a one armed DT? Jean Francois Truffaut certainly isn’t the answer. I hope Fangs has some surprises for us.

Can Kap out gun them? Asking a lot from the kid.

• Flavor said, on January 12, 2013 at 4:42 pm

I totally agree with your concerns. But I’m not worried about kappy I think he’s going to have a big gm. I could see this gm going any number of ways but I still feel most confident about the over

34. dirtnrocksnomo said, on January 12, 2013 at 4:51 pm

I’ve always felt Roger Craig doesn’t get the respect he’s due. He was Marshall Faulk before total yards for a back was really recognized. That fumble was a killer. I can just picture Big Flav driving south and punching his roof the whole way.

35. blade3colorado said, on January 12, 2013 at 5:03 pm

Earlier I was in this Sports Bar approx. 100 feet from my Condo complex. Ecstatic Denver fans . . . Then that happened. LMFAO!

36. ewisco said, on January 12, 2013 at 5:09 pm

game time my brothers. i’ve started in on the single malt. my goal is to not teach the boys any new words. i’ve had my heart ripped out by GB so many times, that fucking favre, that i can’t summon much confidence. into the valley we ride.

37. Flavor said, on January 12, 2013 at 5:22 pm

I’m watching this one at home, alone. Will check in with you guys along the way. Focused, yet geeked up. It’s a good thing I have high ceilings in my living room, I am going to be getting my leap on……..
    Really hoping the Ravens win too……..

38. blade3colorado said, on January 12, 2013 at 5:49 pm

I knew it. Denver takes it in the ass. Again. HAHAHAHAHAHA!

• zumiee said, on January 12, 2013 at 6:10 pm

Denver couldn’t have played that long pass at the end of regulation any worse. The defensive backs got transfixed by the flight of the ball and stopped running to the receiver.

39. twinfan1 said, on January 12, 2013 at 5:51 pm

Manning is now 1 for 12 in his attempts to reach the Super Bowl (12 postseason appearances).

40. twinfan1 said, on January 12, 2013 at 6:08 pm

Early jitters, but CK has looked real good since. Don’t have a strong feeling yet on how it will go either way.

41. blade3colorado said, on January 12, 2013 at 6:13 pm

Heads up play by the Spillman.

42. Flavor said, on January 12, 2013 at 6:19 pm

And my over is looking quite good right now.

• zumiee said, on January 12, 2013 at 6:34 pm

It’s become a wild wild game tonight.

• twinfan1 said, on January 12, 2013 at 6:36 pm

I think it will get wilder. Fun.

43. Flavor said, on January 12, 2013 at 7:08 pm

How rad is it to hit the over at halftime of one of the bigger football bets I’ve made in years?

44. twinfan1 said, on January 12, 2013 at 8:58 pm

Haven’t disappeared- Mr. Puter Guy is under attack-have a horrible virus on all 3 of my machines- awesome game by Kap, which means they’re one step closer.

45. Flavor said, on January 12, 2013 at 9:11 pm

I’ve been spewing superlatives at Chuck’s blog tonight.
    Harbaugh is a genius.
    Kap is a man-child
    And Dennis, who’s invited back to the blog but who might not like this next comment, can suck my dick on a 2 year Brees/Rodgers/Payton fucking Manning trifecta!
    Sit down elite QB bitches!
    Hahaha!!!!!

46. unca_chuck said, on January 12, 2013 at 10:40 pm

And I called the wipe out.

Roger Craig threw Guy McIntyre under the bus after that fumble. I never forgave him for that. Chickenshit move on his part.

• Flavor said, on January 12, 2013 at 10:57 pm

Beyond perfect ending for this thread, thanks. :) :) :)

47. Flavor said, on January 12, 2013 at 11:53 pm

Bottom line, and maybe this is the bounty of the “over” talking but when Kap is running he turns into no QB I’ve ever seen. I’d follow him into the darkness and beyond. And fuck his weird ass parents, they made a genetic freak that makes the 6 million dollar man look like 6 bucks

48. dirtnrocksnomo said, on January 13, 2013 at 7:59 am

What a performance by CK. wow!

49. twinfan1 said, on January 13, 2013 at 9:07 am

Astounding that Woodsen said they didn’t expect Kap to run- more astounding is that Capers never adjusted his scheme. With that said, I’ve never seen the likes of Kap running the ball, QB-wise. If I was a DB with that dude bearing down on me, I’d run to Mommy.

50. Salty said, on January 13, 2013 at 10:11 am

Absolutely!

I was watching with my dad who is 88 and who never gets excited watching sports anymore or says much during a game…and he was sitting up in his recliner hollering “will you look at that SOB run!”

• blade3colorado said, on January 13, 2013 at 10:46 am

Now, that is funny and something I would love to have seen. Your grandfather sounds like a great dude Salty. :-)

51. willedav said, on January 13, 2013 at 10:52 am

Pls you f-ing dirty birds, take down the sea chickens and eliminate carroll once and for all. Kaps on turf would be fun to watch even if atl D is a lot better than Pack.
    As to r craig, I coached b-ball vs. his daughter at two different schools. Ro played originally for Menlo School, which at that time didn’t have the program they do now, and she was just a big fish in a small pond. She was one gal show there, and then transferred to Mitty, where they were state champs at D-2 (she played alongside 3 other D-1 kids)… Coach there turned her into a beast that could score from anywhere, rebound and defend. She went to Duke I think for a year and then transferred to USC.

52. blade3colorado said, on January 13, 2013 at 11:00 am

MAD magazine “Scenes We Would Like To See” . . . The Denver Post is reporting hundreds of domestic violence incidents last night after the Bronco’s horrific face plant loss. There was an equal number of suicides as well. Denver Police are investigating, but have already released a statement indicating, “. . . This is crime phenomena specific to Denver, a cow town without much to do, except to root passionately for our football team. As was the case last year, our likely recommendation to prevent similar crimes from happening ever again, will be for the populace to GET A LIFE. We have no more comments at this time . . . ”

Of course, I jest . . . But not much! :-)

53. twinfan1 said, on January 13, 2013 at 11:15 am

When the Cowboys lose every dog in Texas climbs a tree.

54. Bozo said, on January 13, 2013 at 11:32 am

The only comment I have for last nights game – WOW!!

55. ewisco said, on January 13, 2013 at 11:52 am

One thing that puzzles me: what’s up with Staley’s right hand/arm? He kept grabbing it and grimacing but no one in the media is talking about it. He had a good game but what’s the deal? is it something that can hurt him going forward? inquiring minds want to know!

56. unca_chuck said, on January 13, 2013 at 12:34 pm

He suffered a bone bruise. I thought it was a stinger but he said it was a bone bruise.

Atl is starting to pucker a bit here.

• ewisco said, on January 13, 2013 at 12:42 pm

Thanks Chuck. he looked effective but it sure looked like it hurt.

57. unca_chuck said, on January 13, 2013 at 12:39 pm

Wow. Natty Ice almost threw a pick 6 there.

58. unca_chuck said, on January 13, 2013 at 12:42 pm

Blade, that was too funny :) :0 :9

• blade3colorado said, on January 13, 2013 at 5:20 pm

Which post?

59. twinfan1 said, on January 13, 2013 at 1:21 pm

Some pretty incredible divisional playoffs games the last couple years. . Jimbo’s houise must be rockin’ after Petey lost the Atlanta game.

60. unca_chuck said, on January 13, 2013 at 2:36 pm

I think the Niners dodged a bullet here. Atl on the road is an easier task than ATL on the road. The Niners should be able to get in on Natty Dread.

61. twinfan1 said, on January 13, 2013 at 2:53 pm

So which is easier? Atl on the road or ATL on the road? I’d say I’d rather go against ATL. I know that’s controversial, most would prefer Atl. ;-)

62. Flavor said, on January 13, 2013 at 3:07 pm

I wasn’t sweatin’ either of them. I kinda wanted Seattle at home but we match up very well vs Atlanta and Kap has shown that big loud dome’s don’t bother him.

63. twinfan1 said, on January 13, 2013 at 3:32 pm

“Atl on the road is an easier task than ATL on the road”.So you don’t have a preference for Atlanta on the road vs. Atlanta on the road?
    Anyway, I think the Falcons are a better team than Seattle, and with the monkey off their backs and playing at home, they’ll be tough. But I picked 49ers/Ravens when Alex was still the QB, no reasaon to change that now.

64. JBat said, on January 13, 2013 at 4:17 pm

I think the Seahawks are a better, albeit more raw, team than the Falcons. They also present more difficult matchup problems for the 49ers than the Falcons do. Anyone who watched the second 49ers-Seahawks game could see that. Niners 30, Falcons 17.

• twinfan1 said, on January 13, 2013 at 5:05 pm

I’ve watched every game. Seahawks have lost here 4 years in a row. The game *at* Seattle is apples and oranges. I’d be way happier at home against the Hwaks than on the road against the #1 seed,. I still think we’ll win but not easily.

• twinfan1 said, on January 13, 2013 at 5:54 pm

And CK is 4-0 at home. He has one very good road game, one good one, and two not good. All 3 regular season home games have been very good.Plus the spectacular one last night. And yeah, this will be about the QBs, IMO. If CK can run as he did last night it will be a Niner blow out again. If Atlanta can keep him in the pocket, we win by one score. I thought lastnight would be closer than it was but I didn’t expect CK to set a QB rushing record. His running and Dum Capers obsintance were the keys.
      On the defensive side we need to pressure Ryan. Also keep in mind that Atlanta has lost one at home all year- a meaningless final game after the 1 seed was locked up. With all this said, no DC would be dumb enough to play man and blitz as the Pack did. 24-20 Niners sounds about right.

65. dirtnrocksnomo said, on January 13, 2013 at 4:59 pm

I’m not seeing any of the remaining teams beating SF.

66. unca_chuck said, on January 13, 2013 at 8:53 pm

Well, I think this is good news for the Niners. Russell Wilson is tough as hell, and Atl beat ‘em early due to what I think is jet lag and 2 road playoff games back east. They sure came out slow, and Teflon Mike did his all to let the Hawks back into the game. They are happy for their one win. We just need to send them on their way.

Ryan is no Rodgers, but their run game is a little better than GBs. Still and all, Niners win by 17.

• twinfan1 said, on January 13, 2013 at 10:13 pm

By Total QBR Kap and Ryan were 3 and 4 ( Smith was 7th, Rodgers 5th )
      By QBR they were Ryan 6, Kap 8( Smith was 3rd, Rodgers 1st).
      Ryan is an elite QB. Their undoing will be their running game- 29th, much worse than the Pack. Most of the year Chuckie and I were real close in our picks, last night he blew me away. I’ll be happy if he does it again, but I still see it as SF by one score. 24-20. Kind of a bummer that Hitler was an Alex guy, too. And then are highlights from Kap’s year..

• twinfan1 said, on January 13, 2013 at 10:48 pm

I know those Hitler videos are silly, but I laughed even when I cringed. BTW, I see Kap’s celebration thing has gone viral. Jim should try to get him to tone it down or he’s going to have guys looking to hurt him.

67. unca_chuck said, on January 13, 2013 at 9:01 pm

Atl had as soft a schedule as Houston. This will be the first road playoff win for the Niners since the 1988 NFCCG in Chicago.

68. ewisco said, on January 13, 2013 at 9:13 pm

69. structured settlement annuity calculator said, on January 31, 2013 at 12:01 am

Fantastic website you have here but I was wanting to know if you knew of any user discussion forums that cover
    the same topics discussed here? I’d really love to be a part of community where I can get advice from other experienced people that share the same interest. If you have any suggestions, please let me know. Thank you!

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 498 other followers