July 23, 1985

Posted in Uncategorized by ewisco on January 13, 2013

So after going to see the Hobbit, I decided to re-read the story. My copy was published in 1966 and has been in the family for nearly that long. Apparently, the last time I read it was in 1985. Because there, big as life, was my ticket to game 44 (at the Stick, game 94 overall), Tuesday, July 23, 1985. Section 11, Box 5H, Seat 3, against the hated St. Louis Cardinals.

(from Flavor) Here’s a pic of the ticket. By the way, Chuck has 3 great old school tickets loaded up on his thread right now at ninersforever.com

ticket

The lineup:

Giants                                    Cards
Dan Gladden CF            Vince Coleman LF
Manny Trillo 2B            Willie McGee CF
Chili Davis RF               Tom Herr 2B
Jeffrey Leonard LF       Jack Clark 1B
Chris Brown 3B             Andy Van Slyke RF
Bob Brenly C                  Terry Pendleton 3B
Rob Deer 1B                   Darrell Porter C
Jose Uribe SS                 Ivan de Jesus SS
Mike Krukow P             Danny Cox P

The Giants had a 3-2 lead going into the sixth and the wheels came off. Krukow faces three batters in the sixth without getting an out. Mark Davis comes in and faces three batters, 2 walks (one intentional) and a strikeout. Greg Minton gets the final two outs while giving up a hit. 4 runs score and it’s 6-3 Cards, which is how it will finish. Mike Jeffcoat pitches 2 innings, giving up one hit. Vida closes it out with a walk, a hit and two strikeouts. Start Time Weather: Sunny. Time of the game: 2 hrs 44 minutes. Attendance: 7,688 for a 12:05 start. This is a classic example of Chili’s declaration that there are 5000 fans, and the rest are assholes (BTW, I saw a book today “Assholes, A Theory”. I think I’ll have to put that on the nightstand). Jim Davenport was at the end of his managing career before Roger Craig came in and took over. They lost 100 games that season. I was at the 100th loss.

It’s funny how a bookmark can dredge up memories. http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/SFN/SFN198507230.shtml

About these ads

1. twinfan1 said, on January 13, 2013 at 10:34 pm

Doesn’t happen much today- Davenport played his career here, then coached, that brief manager gig, and still with ‘em- in 2014 will be his 50th year with the team ( I think he’s a scout now). Here he is with his son, Gary. Gary has played with the organization in the early 80′s. He’s coached with several minor league teams in the system and has just been named manger of the Salem-Keizer Volcanoes…

jim

2. Flavor said, on January 14, 2013 at 5:40 am

Zoom–
    Can you snap a pic of the ticket? It would be a great add to a great thread. Let me know if I can help, email me if you have any questions. Does the ticket look like it was done with a dot printer? lol, old tickets from MY past are the best. It’s like hearing a song, see an old ticket and it takes you right back to the moment

• ewisco said, on January 14, 2013 at 6:53 am

I sent you a copy. Let me know if you don’t get it

• Flavor said, on January 14, 2013 at 7:44 am

Too funny, I thought Zumie wrote this thread just cause it had to do with books!

• chipower9 said, on January 14, 2013 at 8:21 am

LMAO…I was wondering why you were asking Zumie about a picture of the ticket. Then I realized that Eric wrote the thread…thought it had been you Craig.

Nice thread…how cool to stumble across “a blast from the past” like this.

I remember that year well. I rocked my Giant standard brim all that year. There were a number of times where people flat-out stopped me to ask why I was wearing a Giants hat, and I would have to give them my standard “they’re my team” to which most would reply something to the effect “boy, they suck!”

That was a painful year. Cannot tell you how many times Rob Deer or Chris Brown just killed me that year…

3. Bozo said, on January 14, 2013 at 6:04 am

I was in Anaheim for some reason in the early 90s. The hotel I was staying at had old timers all around the place (I’m not sure if it was for a card show or an Old Timer’s game or what was going on), Bob Gibson going into the hotel restaurant with some little kids (grand kids?) for breakfast was pretty cool. Going into the hotel bar later that day, I see Jimmy D playing cards with Mark Fidrych. I went over and told him I was a Giants fan and just wanted to thank him. Fidrych came back with something like “Too bad the Giants didn’t feel the same way”, Davenport gives him the eye and said he wasn’t with the organization right now but he slipped right into talking about Candlestick. He said something about every player deserving a gold glove just for playing in the place. I offered to buy him a drink but he declined. I thought he was very cool especially when I was just some guy in the bar interrupting his card game (probably why he didn’t go for the drink, I imagine he was afraid I might want to keep hanging around).

4. Alleykat said, on January 14, 2013 at 8:29 am

Bozo….I played little league,babe ruth,and high gonna school baseball with both Gary and Don Davenport.I can totally “vouch” had a great a guy Jim Davenport is.
    Back in Babe Ruth,he took our whole team to a game at the.Stick.Talk about a class act, our jaws all dropped when he said with his Southern drawl:You ‘all are coming out to see me play 3rd today!!I was jacked up!! He was at the end of his career,and probably just wanted the sons to see him for one final time,but to take the whole team…WOW

• Bozo said, on January 14, 2013 at 8:58 am

Very cool kat. Being a kid and being the guest of a player in the game – priceless. I probably would have worn his Jersey for the rest of my life.

• chipower9 said, on January 14, 2013 at 11:57 am

Too cool…I’m with the Clown…if it would have been me, I probably would have worn his jersey for the rest of my life.

5. unca_chuck said, on January 14, 2013 at 9:16 am

Yeah, Jimmy’s son Don is a great guy. He coached my daughter (and his) in fast-pitch softball in San Carlos back in the late 90s. Amazing the hot-heads who coach grade/middle school girls softball. He defintely wasn’t one of them.

Yeah,. I saw Jimmy D go into the stands to catch a popup. Great play. Musta bee around 69-70.

6. unca_chuck said, on January 14, 2013 at 9:23 am

One of the cooler ones is the SNACK Sunday benefit concert held at Kezar stadium in 1975. Every SF band of the day played, (Dead, Starship, Santana, Doobies, etc), and the closing act was Neil Young joined by Robbie Robertson, Levon Helm, and Bob Dylan. One of the best shows I’ve seen.

One of these years I’m going to do something with those tickets.

7. unca_chuck said, on January 14, 2013 at 9:26 am

. . . and, great thread, Eric . . .

• ewisco said, on January 14, 2013 at 9:52 am

Thanks Chuck. I was going through some of mine a while back and game across my ticket to the cal stanford game that featured the never sufficiently damned “Play”. One of those events where it’s so featured that after awhile you can’t remember if you were actually there or it just seems like you were from all the coverage. but there it was.

• unca_chuck said, on January 14, 2013 at 11:06 am

Yeah, too funny. My bro-in-law (played b-ball for Cal back in the day) was at the game with my sister, and they walked out of the game RIGHT when the play happened. They heard the crowd and thought, oh shit! What happened?

• xoot said, on January 14, 2013 at 11:24 am

I agree, great thread. I clearly remember attending a summer game vs. the Cardinals one mid-week afternoon in the 80s, with Jack Clark at 1B for the Cards. Small attendance, but a big percentage booed Clark good naturedly when he came to bat. If I happened across a ticket stub for the game in one of my books, maybe I’d remember more details. For now, I clearly remember Willie McGee hitting a bloop into short RCF, and then stretching it into a double, catching the Giants by surprise as he ran full speed around 1B and into 2B, easily beating the late throw. I also seem to remember the game being pretty quick. The late afternoon wind, and the seagulls, were just starting to show up when it was over. Or so I recall.

• chipower9 said, on January 14, 2013 at 12:03 pm

First game I took my son to was in ’89 against the Cards. We had lower box seats two rows off 3rd base. Back then you could get killer seats easily.

How times have changed…I was fortunate to snag tickets for one of the ST games I am going to via sfgiants.com. Forty-FUCKING-Two dollars for a bleacher seat. Also got tickets to watch them play the Tribe in Goodyear. Lower box seats off the Giants dugout for $27. Goes to show you the price (the fan pays) for tickets when your team wins the World Series. Hey, I am glad to have the seats…but it is just amazing how ticket prices have changed over the years.

I’m sure I’ll be coughing up a hundred-plus for Opening Day. It’s all good…just keep winning those World Series! ;-)

8. twinfan1 said, on January 14, 2013 at 10:02 am

Does Cloud computing excite you, scare you? Learn to love it, Your PC, 27-inch iMac, Notebook..they’ll be landfill soon.the future is here-check out my overview of cloud computing
    They’re coming to get you, Barbara..
    barbara

• chipower9 said, on January 14, 2013 at 12:11 pm

The trend is there and gathering steam (cloud computing), but a lot of people are going to be hesitant to give up their laptop, tablet, etc. You can have your devices (desktop, laptop, tablet, phone), and still store/access information on the cloud. I don’t see the end of PCs and tablets happening anytime soon (next five years or so). I do use the free version of Dropbox and for the short period of time I have been using it, I really like it.

• twinfan1 said, on January 14, 2013 at 1:42 pm

5 years is SOON, Chi. And manufacturers are already discontinuing and cutting back production of PCs and laptops. It’s not a question of giving up those devices, they’ll just be obsolete or be such a small niche in the market, they’ll be exorbitantly priced.

9. Bozo said, on January 14, 2013 at 10:54 am

Joke of the day:
    Peyton Manning, Aaron Rodgers, and Tony Romo walk into a bar………
    to watch an NFL playoff game.

• blade3colorado said, on January 14, 2013 at 11:11 am

lmao

10. blade3colorado said, on January 14, 2013 at 10:56 am

Perhaps I had a deprived childhood, because I wasn’t introduced to The Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers and The Return of the King until 2000 or 2001. I absolutely loved all of these books, albeit it took the first 30-40 pages to bite hook, line and sinker. My initial problem was wrapping my mind around the Shire, a (Hobbit land), north-west Middle-earth, etc. In short, I’ve never read a book about little dudes with big feet and houses built into hills. WTF?

However, I was all in once I started paying attention to the story – following the course of the War of the Ring through the eyes of its characters, notably the hobbits Frodo Baggins, Samwise “Sam” Gamgee, Meriadoc “Merry” Brandybuck and Peregrin “Pippin” Took, but also the hobbits’ chief allies and travelling companions: Aragorn, a Human Ranger; Boromir, a man from Gondor; Gimli, a Dwarf warrior; Legolas, an Elven prince; and Gandalf, a Wizard.

In my mind, these are some of the greatest adventure books I HAVE EVER READ. Great post Eric – I love how you segued from The Hobbit to your ticket to game 44. :-)

By the by, I have a new post on my blog . . . http://aroundtheworldwithblade.wordpress.com/2013/01/14/interactive-world-map-provides-details-for-each-country-i-am-visiting/

• chipower9 said, on January 14, 2013 at 12:16 pm

Agree with the Hobbit and Fellowship of the Ring series being up there as the greatest adventure books of all time. For me, I place Frank Herbert’s Dune right up there, too.

Will check out your latest post…have enjoyed everything you have had there, so far.

• blade3colorado said, on January 14, 2013 at 1:15 pm

Thanks Chi. Again, I haven’t read Dune (probably a bad decision on my part to watch that movie that was made beforehand . . . I didn’t really care for it and it might have prejudiced me against the book).

• ewisco said, on January 14, 2013 at 1:51 pm

Dune was truly excellent. the sequels not so much. loved the gunslinger but waiting for the sequels grew wearisome and not sure i love the overall series. just bought the conclusion to robert jordan’s “wheel of time”. it’s supposed to be excellent.

• unca_chuck said, on January 14, 2013 at 2:07 pm

For whatever reason (to each his own) I never really liked the Ring or that kind of stuff. Dune and the Foundation trilogy? Epic stuff. Heinlein, Sturgeon, and of course Bradbury also being guys liked. PK Dick as well . . .

• chipower9 said, on January 14, 2013 at 3:08 pm

None of the movies I saw on Dune did the book justice. And I agree…Herbert wrote a number of books in the Dune series…and they started getting really weird after about the third one. But the first book, Dune, is excellent. Don’t let any of the movies you have seen sway you on whether or not to read the book. It is truly one of the best adventure/science fiction books of all time (IMNSHO)…

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on January 14, 2013 at 12:28 pm

Have you read any of Stephen King’s Gunslinger series? That one is pretty good if you are looking for reading material on a trip.

• Bozo said, on January 14, 2013 at 12:35 pm

I was able to read them all back to back so for me it wasn’t too hard to follow. It might have been a bit more difficult if I had to wait a year or two between them.

I did enjoy them.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on January 14, 2013 at 12:53 pm

Bozo, same with me. I wasn’t satisfied with the ending. It felt like a cop out to but that’s just me I guess.

• blade3colorado said, on January 14, 2013 at 1:13 pm

No Dirt. Ironically, I have read quite a lot of King too (although that is relative when you consider how many books he churns out). I’ll check it out. Thanks! :-)

• unca_chuck said, on January 14, 2013 at 2:09 pm

That’s always been the knock on Stephen King. He never knows how to end a book. 7 books with the Gunslinger, and he waffles? Same with It. Major crap ending to that.

That being said, there aren’t too many writers whose stuff I enjoy as much as I do his.

11. twinfan1 said, on January 14, 2013 at 11:46 am

Davenport’s old pal, the late Rex Hollis, founded Jim Davenport’s Pizza Palace, named in honor of Jim- and no doubt to attract business in Mountain Brook Village, Alabama. Stop by if y’all are down ‘Bama way and tell ‘em Jimmy sent ya..
    jim

Davenport’s Pizza Palace * 2837 Cahaba Road * Mountain Brook, Alabama * 35223
    Phone: 205.879.8603

12. Alleykat said, on January 14, 2013 at 12:19 pm

It was a tough time for Jimmy taking over that team as the manager in 85.Yeah he stunk and Gary,Don,and Randy.had to hear alot of shit about it for years after that.,being he was.the only Giant manager ever to lose over 100 games.
    The sad thing for Jim,was that the whole team had an off-year from.Chili,Hac-Man,Krukow etc they all.sucked.Then Roger Craig comes in,and brings up Will and Robby.the next year and turns it all around.
    Timing is everthing.

• willedav said, on January 14, 2013 at 12:34 pm

Yeah, felt sorry for Davenport, class guy, great fielding 3b. Sometimes you just don’t have enough talent to win, and the Giants of mid-80s had a dearth of talent at many positions. Don’t remember much about the exit of Clark to STL, but for a while there he was only reason to go….dynamic hitter, terrible baserunner. Uribe and Thompson were fabulous DP combo, but Uribe only had one good season at the plate that I can remember, usually not a whole lot ahead of mendoza line…classic good field no hit SS.

• twinfan1 said, on January 14, 2013 at 1:05 pm

Jim lost 88 games, Craig took over with 18 games left and went 6-12 to hit the 100 mark.Eric’s post links to the final game where we lost a heartbreaker to the Btraves. After Atlanta took a 6-0 lead, we rallied with a 7 run 6th highlighted by Alex Trevino’s 3 run HR. Brave’s took the lead back in the top of the 7th. I was there, too, with all my rowdy pals. We were so pissed we got drunk at Spec’s after the game. Of course we got drunk at Spec’s win or lose..
      spec's

• Bozo said, on January 14, 2013 at 2:29 pm

Whoever took the photo was already on the floor. Specs was one of my favorite NB bars. It seemed like every time I went in there I had a new story afterward.

• chipower9 said, on January 14, 2013 at 3:20 pm

I had forgot that Jimmy D got the hook and Craig finished the season. And yep, the following year Clark and Thompson made the team. The saying that year was “You Gotta Like These Kids.” I have a pin with that one it somewhere…along with “Humm Baby,” Humm Baby, Let’s Do it Again, etc.

13. Macdog said, on January 14, 2013 at 12:32 pm

Diggin’ the Davenport stories. I got to two games during that historically awful season. The first vs. the Phils at the Vet while Flyers-Oilers were playing across the street in the Stanley Cup finals. And, a late-August game at Shea that, as bad as the Giants were, remains one of my most memorable games attended: Brenly hit a 2-run homer in the 9th and the lowly Giants beat the contending Mets, 3-2. Man, that was sweet.

• chipower9 said, on January 14, 2013 at 3:21 pm

I went to opening day and a number of other games that season. Chris Brown was out regularly with a hang nail, etc.

14. ewisco said, on January 14, 2013 at 12:36 pm

face value for lower box: $8

15. Bozo said, on January 14, 2013 at 12:41 pm

In the 80s I was a ten and twenty game Lower Reserve plan guy. I had mixed feeling about the losing years because I always had better seats following a losing season.

16. willedav said, on January 14, 2013 at 12:48 pm

Just saw USC fired men’s b-ball coach K O’Neill. I’ve been defending Dawkins to Furd fans who dislike him and calm approach, but K/O was his diametric opposite, yelling and screaming all time. I watched them the week before and I swear at a time out he asked one player, ” wtf are you doing?” in the huddle. Last year SC won 1 conference game all year, and despite winning a road game vs. Utah, Haden had seen enough.
    And I’ll say the same thing about dawkins as davenport—he doesn’t have enough players to give him consistent good production, inside and out. The guys he recruited such as Powell Randle and Bright haven’t done near enough, and what’s behind them are complimentary guys. It’s sad to me his bigs haven’t taken on more of personality of MadDog who is an assistant this year, or stepped up to replace Zim from last year.
    The guys don’t put the ball in the hoop, you ain’t winning…ask Roy Williams. It was gottlieb’s problem last week, and VanDerveer’s yesterday.

17. Alleykat said, on January 14, 2013 at 1:57 pm

Ryan Voglesong confirms he will be a rotation starter on the USA team for the up coming World Baseball Classic.

18. unca_chuck said, on January 14, 2013 at 2:12 pm

Eric, did you see Frank Herbert’s son is writing Dune books now?

I think I made it to the 5th sequel book before losing interest. I will say I’ve read Dune about 4 times. . .

• ewisco said, on January 14, 2013 at 2:20 pm

i did see that. i think i got as far as “house harkonnen” before calling it a day. I’ve been enjoying two series by David Weber but his last effort in each of the series has been underwhelming. Jordan did that in his wheel of time where it seemed like it was just dragging. game of thrones same thing. I’ve gone to waiting for the paperbacks come out before jumping in.

• chipower9 said, on January 14, 2013 at 3:27 pm

Yeah, as mentioned earlier…I lost interest about the 3rd (Children of Dune) or 4th (God Emperor of Dune) book.

I didn’t even realize the whole series co-written by his son.

Anyway…the original Dune, written by Frank Herbert in the sixties, is an awesome book. Again…probably the best (certainly one of the best) alltime science fiction books. I’ve read it three times…

19. blade3colorado said, on January 14, 2013 at 2:29 pm

I have seen too many Dune references here that are positive . . . I’m down and all in – I will purchase and download to my Tablet for the trip. Sheesh, not like that part of the trip – meeting girls and filling my nights with raucous fun – is going to happen every night, so Dune sounds like the ticket for those lonely nights in Nepal. :-)

• blade3colorado said, on January 14, 2013 at 2:33 pm

Addendum: I am counting on Paulinasia to be my guide to “raucous fun” in Thailand. The SOB better come through. :-) :-)

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on January 14, 2013 at 2:39 pm

Hopefully he introduces you to some of his, ahem “teacher’s assistants”.

• blade3colorado said, on January 14, 2013 at 2:40 pm

Yes, of the “pet” variety. Hope springs eternal.

• unca_chuck said, on January 14, 2013 at 2:50 pm

Daddy’s little helper? Too . . .many . . . jokes . . . Must . . .stop . . .

As far as Dune goes, if you like the first one, the next 3-4 are good. I think the 5th one was good, but I can’t remember. It went something like good-OK-good-bad-good then I gave up.

• blade3colorado said, on January 14, 2013 at 3:12 pm

LOL . . . Chuck, I will give numero uno a shot, then decide whether I want to spend the rest of my life vicariously living in space with Herbert and his son Herbie Jr. :-)

• pawliekokonuts said, on January 14, 2013 at 3:56 pm

Yeah, and you should send us a list of private code words you can use on your blog. That can be fun. Be creative! “I had a strawberry sundae in Bangkok.” Right. Got it.

• blade3colorado said, on January 14, 2013 at 4:05 pm

Yer killin’ me Pawlie . . . However, I love your drift and will try to stir the creative juices if such a situation arises.*

*Arises . . . LMAO! :-)

• unca_chuck said, on January 14, 2013 at 4:30 pm

heh heh heh. He said ‘juices’

• blade3colorado said, on January 14, 2013 at 4:40 pm

Righto Chuck . . . Missed that one. Hehehe.

• chipower9 said, on January 14, 2013 at 3:29 pm

Make sure you get the original. Titled simply “Dune” by Frank Herbert (originally published in 1965).

20. pawliekokonuts said, on January 14, 2013 at 3:55 pm

Great stuff here. I never quite thought of it that way, but it’s true, isn’t it? A ticket evokes memories just by looking at it. I’ve never been able to find my ticket to see the Beatles, at Shea, 1966, $5.50. Maybe someday. Nice thread. Oh, but I sure as hell have my 2012 WS ticket. Should have it mounted and framed.

21. unca_chuck said, on January 14, 2013 at 4:32 pm

My mom saw ‘em with my brother and older sisters in 66 at the Cow Palace (I think). Alas I was too young. Or so they thought.

• Flavor said, on January 14, 2013 at 4:38 pm

great tickets-pic at your blog, btw
      I’ve still got my super bowl (Stanford Stadium) ticket and a few others that I saved over the years, but that’s it. Wish I’d kept more of them

• pawliekokonuts said, on January 14, 2013 at 5:14 pm

Chuck, I could be mistaken but I believe the last Beatles concert ever, anywhere, was in August 1966 at Candlestick, just days after I saw them. Then they went in hibernation and came out with the fantastic Sgt. Pepper’s album, a studio thing. When it came out officially in June ’67 (parts had leaked out earlier, such as A Day in the Life) my brother and I drove our parents crazy because we’d listen to it five times a day. Straight. Not high. But they never toured again.

• willedav said, on January 14, 2013 at 7:58 pm

Stick I think. Caught the Stones were at Cow Palace.

22. pawliekokonuts said, on January 14, 2013 at 5:17 pm

There’s an ESPN New York story saying Brian Wilson is working out privately for the Mets. He’d be a great fit for them, if he still has it. ALSO, I just read a great story in SI about Pablo Sandoval, in the issue w/ LeBron James on the cover. Pablo is a natural left hander. He wanted to be like Omar Vizquel, a SS, so at 8 years old he taught himself how to throw right handed. Ponder that. That is beyond amazing to me.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on January 14, 2013 at 7:20 pm

I’ve read that before but I think a lot of left handed people can do many things with both hands. I am left handed and have thrown a baseball or football better right handed than both my brothers since childhood.

23. pawliekokonuts said, on January 14, 2013 at 5:19 pm

I always liked Jim Davenport. He’s so much a part of an era. I am fairly sure he made his debut at Seals Stadium in April 1958 in a game we won against the Dodgers. Where’s DJ loo when we need him? (We always need him.)

• twinfan1 said, on January 14, 2013 at 5:39 pm

Sheesh, talk about no respect.Come up with the website of a Jim Davenport pizza joint in Gooberville Alabama (boy, I bet that’s some fine piece a pizza pie) and you’re beggin’ for Loo-igi. To answer your question, yes on all counts. He was 2 for 4 with a sac fly as Ruben Gomez blanked the Bums. Drysdale was the loser as we romped 8-zip.
      I’ll check on where Jim drank after the game ;-)

• pawliekokonuts said, on January 14, 2013 at 5:56 pm

I had to chuckle, Mike, at your Rodney Dangerfieldism. Hey, you’re right. I owe you some props for that pizza-joint reference, WITH GRAPHIC INCLUDED. You make it look easy, though I suspect a lot of the stuff you unearth ain’t that easy. (Besides, I loved Rodney.)

• pawliekokonuts said, on January 14, 2013 at 6:01 pm

I revisited the pizza thing above. How the hell did you even know about it?

• twinfan1 said, on January 14, 2013 at 6:24 pm

Jim was “baseball smart” , Loo is history smart, I’m just “search engine smart”. And I do love digging up personal stuff about the ballplayers. I’ve always been more player than team oriented.

• twinfan1 said, on January 14, 2013 at 6:17 pm

Jim was a few fries short of a Happy Meal but how do you not love a guy who went to High School in Alabaster, Alabama? He was “baseball smart” though, and didn’t get much of a shot as a manager. Chris Brown was their best hitter that year…Chili,Leonard, and Gladden all sucked in ’85…

24. pawliekokonuts said, on January 14, 2013 at 5:29 pm

You look at that lineup and there’s a pretty good collection of talent — but a lot of those guys on our team were not at their peak that year. #obvious

• ewisco said, on January 14, 2013 at 7:30 pm

it’s funny but that was my first take too. not a bad lineup. lord knows we’ve seen worse. well, we HAVE seen worse.

• willedav said, on January 14, 2013 at 8:00 pm

well, manny trillo was in there. man he was awful here.

• twinfan1 said, on January 14, 2013 at 8:41 pm

Then there was David Green, who came from the Cards in the Jack Clark trade.If I recall, Davenport didn’t have anything to say about Green that could be printed in a family newspaper. We did get Uribe, perhaps the original PTBNL ( he changed his name from José González because he said there were too many Gonzálezes in baseball). Jose might have won a GG or two were it not for Ozzie. We also got LaPoint, who was pretty good despite a 7-17 record. They didn’t a lick for him. But all in all, a terrible trade…

25. twinfan1 said, on January 14, 2013 at 7:15 pm

New Page is up-link to the right-Gallery #1-Worst Restaurant Names..Preview:

stool

• twinfan1 said, on January 14, 2013 at 7:32 pm

There’s one just for Chuck. Hint: Panda’s favorite Asian restaurant.

• Alleykat said, on January 14, 2013 at 7:51 pm

That name Golden Stool does remind me of this gay joke i heard..
        Number 1 pickup line in a gay bar?
        May i push in your stool…

• blade3colorado said, on January 14, 2013 at 8:08 pm

LOL AK :-)

• unca_chuck said, on January 14, 2013 at 9:05 pm

How do you fit 4 gays on a bar stool?

Turn it over.

• unca_chuck said, on January 14, 2013 at 9:25 pm

There’s one for you, too.

• twinfan1 said, on January 14, 2013 at 9:49 pm

Chuck, that’s cute but please don’t edit my posts. I’ve posted a couple times on how to add a pic in your comment.

26. snarkk said, on January 14, 2013 at 7:33 pm

Appropos of Pawlie’s note about Pablo starting to throw with the other hand at 8, I messed up my elbow playing ball. At 12-13, I tried to start throwing left handed, because I could still hit, the elbow didn’t get bothered by that too much. Actually, catching is pretty easy to pick up with the off hand. But, it was too late in the development scheme of things, I could get some throws going in the direction I wanted, but the accuracy, quickness and speed just wouldn’t happen with the left arm. I never watched my high school baseball team play, there were guys on it I played rings around as a kid, and had far better speed and batting, so I couldn’t take watching them play. The idea of them playing ball with me watching their sorry asses pissed me off to no end, so I never watched one game…

• blade3colorado said, on January 14, 2013 at 8:13 pm

That’s how I felt about the guy ahead of me on the basketball team. I would smoke him in one on one games and do a slow burn when the coach always started him in games. Fast forward to mid-season, I couldn’t take this shit anymore and after him pissing me off during practice, I fired a basketball at his head ala dodge ball, rung his bell big time; but of course the coach kicked me out of practice and then insulted me the next game by inserting my ass in the game with one fucking minute left. Dick head.

27. twinfan1 said, on January 14, 2013 at 8:12 pm

And apropos of bad business names, there truly is a Wong Way Driving Academy in Honululu.Parallel parking is not part of the curriculum

28. zumiee said, on January 14, 2013 at 8:22 pm

“Speaking of ticket stubs, I’ve saved literally hundreds of ticket stubs of the concerts and games I’ve been to.

One of these years I’m going to do something with those tickets.”

I have the same affliction- hanging onto tickets. Looking through them is quite a trip down memory lane. Of course, nowadays, you rarely get actual tickets if you order online. Nowadays, it’s a sheet of paper, not worth saving.

• unca_chuck said, on January 14, 2013 at 9:24 pm

The cool thing is if you DO get a ticket, they scan it instead of tearing it in half.

I might have been at that game. Got to look at my stuff. The Beatles must have been ’65 at the Cow Palace.

29. Alleykat said, on January 14, 2013 at 9:12 pm

What do gays and bungee jumpers have in common?
    Once the rubber breaks,you both die.

30. unca_chuck said, on January 14, 2013 at 9:45 pm

Looked it up. August 19, 1964 Beatles open their US tour at the Cow Palace.

• unca_chuck said, on January 14, 2013 at 9:58 pm

Shit, they ended another tour by playing the Cow Palace on Aug 28th, 1965. I’m pretty sure they saw the ’65 show. There was a near riot at that show.

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 457 other followers