They pay you HOW MUCH to do that?

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on January 16, 2013

Throw ball, hit ball, catch ball. If you can do those things really, really well you get to play major league baseball. I stumbled across an mlb salary list of average salaries from 1967 till now. It’s nothing we didn’t already know, I just trip out on looking at how they’ve skyrocketed.

baseballsalaries3baseballsalaries2

You don’t even have to go back to the 60’s to see something that stands out. In 1989, really not that long ago, the minimum salary was $68,000? Wow.

I don’t have a problem with the salaries these guys make. The money is obviously there and mlb, and especially Bud Selig, has done a pretty amazing job at maximizing the revenue it sees with mlb.com and the gynormous television deals. As everyone knows, Selig isn’t into this for the love of the game. In fact, pretty much every move he’s made as commish has been done with the sole goal of putting the most amount of Benjamin’s into the pockets of his fellowship.

But do any of us really have a problem with that? The game has never been more exciting, lower-salary teams like Oakland and Baltimore (and even Pittsburgh) are competing with the highest salaried teams, new stadiums are in every town in America (except Oakland) and we’ve won 2 out of the last 3 world series.

I say, give ‘em all a raise on top of the raises Sabes has already doled out this year!

About these ads

1. blade3colorado said, on January 16, 2013 at 6:54 am

I remember making around $5000.00 in the Air Force. This was after 4 years served (Senior Airman). So, when I got out and applied for civil service and got a job paying almost $10k a year, I thought I had it dicked. Unfortunately, I had been overseas practically my entire time and had no clue how things had changed economically. In 1973, $10k a year wasn’t too bad . . . However, in 1980, you were fucked. I think I was still making less than $25k a year by 1986, when my first big career break came (I got discovered giving a class by an occupational safety and health manager) and I was offered a job paying about twice what my previous salary was. Wowsa! Fast forward to 2000, I finally broke my hero, Willie Mays’s threshold at $100k a year. Funny, but that’s how I related it – to a baseball salary from the 1960s. In fact, in many ways, I relate many things in my life to a baseball game. That’s why I love your post Flav – you probably didn’t have that intention when you wrote this thread, but nevertheless, this is how it relates to my life and moreover, how baseball relates to life in general in my opinion. Baseball is a beautiful game. :-)

2. willedav said, on January 16, 2013 at 7:16 am

Enjoyed reading through the comments on niners current back up QB yesterday, including , “IMO smith was leading them to the super bowl.” I think these will look great on the buffalo bills blog next season and hope contributors continue to enlighten those there.

• twinfan1 said, on January 16, 2013 at 9:19 am

It’s an opinion that was shared by many-including almost everyone on Chuck’s blog. I just didn’t weasel out on the call I made before he was hurt. I also posted they were going there after he went down. In any case, if they win this week, I’m right twice- a nice daily double. As any coach on any level preaches-it’s a team game.Our current starting QB and our current back up QB wil have led them there.

3. blade3colorado said, on January 16, 2013 at 7:23 am

This is my two cents regarding taunting and celebrations . . . I agree with Chi and Twin and anyone else who is tired of so called “team players” costing their teams unnecessary penalties by doing stupid dances and other in your face crap during a game. Especially galling is some dumb fuck running back celebrating a five yard gain. Ditto for the receiver getting a first down; defensive end a sack; and especially a frickin’ kicker making a 30 yard field goal. ACT LIKE YOU’VE BEEN THERE BEFORE.

OK, back to your regularly scheduled baseball discussion . . . :-)

• unca_chuck said, on January 16, 2013 at 9:53 am

Where do you draw the line? ANY celebration? ‘Traditional’ celebrations are OK? Spikes are verboten? Discount double check is OK? Celebrations are fine if you’ve won the Super Bowl? Celebrationjs have been around since the late 60s. I don’t think things are going to change any time soon.

Granted, I hated Vernon Davis’ act when he came into the league. It was gain 7 yards and a 1st down, and go into convulsions for 5 minutes. It was petty and stupid. And he got somewhere around 10 penalties his first 3 seasons for grandstanding. Specail teams guys freaking out over tackles? Over the top? Sure. But then again those guys are 3rd stringers who barely get on the field. They get their 5 seconds of glory and it’s back to the bench.

The thing is, the PLAYERS don’t really give a shit about it. They ENJOY a good celebration. In baseball if you do something like this, ooooh, the threat of retaliation is a fastball to the head. In football, the other team is already trying to kill you anyway, so what’s the threat? I’m gonna kill you harder?

Kappy’s taunt was weak in the fact that if he was going to taunt someone, he should have gone all out. Spinning the ball was weak, and was a lame taunt. His forearm kiss? Another lame thing, yes, but do you think there are guys out there getting pissed off at that? Hardly.

• blade3colorado said, on January 16, 2013 at 12:26 pm

Chuck, I agree that the players don’t give a shit about celebrations (maybe taunting or at least the Cowboys do when Owens dances on their star . . . grin). My point is that I dislike it. You even said you “hated” the Vernon Davis lounge act when he first came into the league. However, as you said – the genie is out of the bottle and there is probably no turning back the clock. Again, I don’t like it, but I have to accept it. Besides, the NFL hardly cares what someone in Colorado thinks or says.

• twinfan1 said, on January 16, 2013 at 10:13 am

Ah, so now it was a lousy taunt ? I agree. He’s never going to the Taunt HOF like that. But there’s hope- Kap shows every indication that He’s Only Just Begun. He’ll work on it.

• unca_chuck said, on January 16, 2013 at 10:24 am

That’s your hope anyway. Your hope is for Kaepernick to fail. It was a bullshit call, but to you it was akin to Kappy stabbing Shields on the playing field. And you are making mountains out of molehills. You want to keep acting like a troll? You think ANY player gives a flying fuck about his forearm kiss thing? The game has changed a bit since the 60s.

• unca_chuck said, on January 16, 2013 at 10:27 am

I was talking to Blade, besides.

• twinfan1 said, on January 16, 2013 at 11:04 am

My call was 24-20 Niners Sunday. 17-16 over the Ravens in the Super Bowl. My hope is that you are bequeathed the other half of brain that the Lord forgot.

• unca_chuck said, on January 16, 2013 at 11:33 am

Half a brain is better than none at all. You must be one a them whine and cheese fans . . .

The point being, whenever anyone has anything positive to say about Kaepernick and the Niners you have to answer with an Alex Smith post. We get it. He had a good run around a semi-tragic stint here. However, Harbaugh thought Kappy was the guy to go with going forward. His call. He took heat for it. He still may take heat for it if this game turns out badly. Still and all, Kappy is the future of the team. Smith is not.

Taking out your misdirected animosity out on me serves no purpose.

• twinfan1 said, on January 16, 2013 at 12:03 pm

That’s not how it goes.The trolls are the crackheads that comprise half of your commenters on Chuckle’s Sicko Blog and Bait Shop. I’m rooting for Kap to fail and the 10,000 posts trashing Smith have been Odes to our QB? Fuck that, pal. Don’t ever call me a troll on a blog again. I root for the team. Any fan has a few guys he/she doesn’t like- but rooting for the player to fail is rooting against the other few dozen players and coaches.
        The problem with you is that you read my 10:13 and take is as serious trashing of Colin.Actualy, my honesty has to trump my legendary humbleness here- my 10:13 was a brilliant post. OK, I’ll go with nearly brilliant. OK, maybe not that good.
        My ranking:
        1. The Catch 1
        2. Montana
        3, My 10:13
        4. Citizen Kane
        5. Duck Confit

• twinfan1 said, on January 16, 2013 at 12:27 pm

Now’s here’s a HOF taunt. A reason that Kap only gets a 5.9 on the Tauntometer is that the videos that seem to be available online don’t show the whole picture. If one recorded the game and sees the guy on the ground- the “tauntee”, Kap’s score soars to a very respectable. 7.6. Here, Desean taunts several players and coaches on the sidelines.He gets a 9.9 and a Golden Globe.

4. dirtnrocksnomo said, on January 16, 2013 at 8:16 am

I don’t have any problem with Selig’s sole focus being increasing revenue for owners. I also don’t have a problem with the MLBPA being the strongest union in America. More workers should take note.

5. dirtnrocksnomo said, on January 16, 2013 at 8:45 am

If you haven’t seen the BadNFL lip reading video yest you should watch this. Pretty funny;

• twinfan1 said, on January 16, 2013 at 9:25 am

That *was* funny. But kinda weird.All of the bits were silly, sometimes hilarious “bad lip reading”. Harbaugh’s was real.

6. twinfan1 said, on January 16, 2013 at 9:37 am

I have no prob with the American Way- and no problem with the Budster helping his Budster’s to a nice slice of the pie. It’s doesn’t even bother me a whole heckuva lot that owners would pay the hired help 8.50 an hour if they could get away with it. The trickle down theory actualy works in MLB because MLB was forced to make it work.

7. blade3colorado said, on January 16, 2013 at 10:33 am

This is what makes my blood boil . . . First, I’ll preface my comments by saying I don’t begrudge anyone the American dream, e.g., baseball players, corporations, the so called 1%, etc. They worked hard for it and I commend them.

However, In the past 20 years, the US economy has grown nearly 60 percent. This huge increase in productivity is partly due to automation, the internet, and other improvements in efficiency. But it’s also the result of Americans working harder—often without a big boost to their bottom lines. Oh, and meanwhile, corporate profits are up 20 percent.

Productivity has surged, but income and wages have stagnated for most Americans. If the median household income had kept pace with the economy since 1970, it would now be nearly $92,000, not $50,000.

You may think this is stupid of me, but I was hoping for my taxes to go up this year. In fact, I was welcoming the fiscal cliff, i.e., as I understand it – the military would have been reduced significantly; and, everyone making more than $200/250K would have been taxed at the old “Clinton rates.” Social programs would not have been impacted (at least to the extent that the crazies – read Repubtards – are demanding).

Call me a bleeding liberal, but I have a hard time relating to someone or being friends with anyone that doesn’t have empathy for those who have less than I and/or are down on their luck. Similarly, I have a problem with people who do not volunteer their time in the community and/or donate to their church or a charity they favor.

• Chico said, on January 16, 2013 at 2:22 pm

+1.

• blade3colorado said, on January 16, 2013 at 4:00 pm

Glad the Giants are located in a liberal area . . . :-)

8. denniszu said, on January 16, 2013 at 10:35 am

It was great to taunt Yankee fans in the past about ‘buying the World Series’ and now with lower salary based teams making runs at the cup, gives me added pleasure to remind them now of wasted Yankee money.

On a side note, when I didn’t make the varsity baseball team as a sophomore in high school, I moved on to other high salary careers… lol

9. Irish Kevin said, on January 16, 2013 at 10:44 am

Don’t know if this is old news or not

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on January 16, 2013 at 10:58 am

Right now there is a bigger market for his beard than there is for his pitching.

10. Salty said, on January 16, 2013 at 11:04 am

I’d have to bet the the under on 30 saves.

• blade3colorado said, on January 16, 2013 at 11:29 am

That many Salty? I’m thinking the under on 20.

11. twinfan1 said, on January 16, 2013 at 11:08 am

There is a new post on “B” -“Baseball Open Today” The thread title is borrowed from one of the greatest gardening books ever: Garden Open Today, by Beverly Nichols.. it’s also my next post on Zeke’s World. There are 89 videos of the 2012 season to enjoy. As I said: Baseball Open Today.

12. ewisco said, on January 16, 2013 at 12:36 pm

Bears hire Trestman. wow.

• twinfan1 said, on January 16, 2013 at 12:46 pm

The object of Eddie’s classless “he’s gone ” remark.

• ewisco said, on January 16, 2013 at 12:58 pm

Classless but not wrong. He stunk.

• twinfan1 said, on January 16, 2013 at 1:33 pm

Are we talking about the Trestman with 95/96 Niners ? The team that was 1st and 3rd in points scored those years? 1st and 3rd in total offense those years? .

13. Macdog said, on January 16, 2013 at 12:49 pm

Programming alert:

MLB Productions’ 2012 World Series Film premieres tonight at 9pm ET on MLB Network. Watch as the Giants sweep the Tigers for their second title in three years http://atmlb.com/TYoiZd

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on January 16, 2013 at 7:01 pm

Thanks for the heads up. I got it on DVD just in time.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on January 16, 2013 at 7:02 pm

DVR

14. twinfan1 said, on January 16, 2013 at 1:18 pm

Chuck-on a serious note- you should check your WordPress settings- it will allow me to make new posts on your Blog. I don’t mean comments- new threads. You might want to take care of that before my “evil day” rollls around- my God, that’s today. Hurry.

• unca_chuck said, on January 16, 2013 at 2:10 pm

WordPress is nutty. Settings change, and emails start flying around with no action on my part. . . .

• unca_chuck said, on January 16, 2013 at 2:24 pm

Thanks for the heads-up . . .

• Flavor said, on January 16, 2013 at 4:30 pm

It’s probably because you assigned him “editor” status. You did the same for me so my posts would stop going into spam.
        I can post threads at your blog too

• unca_chuck said, on January 16, 2013 at 4:54 pm

No, I knocked him down to contributor. I gave you author status because you had those posting issues.

• Flavor said, on January 16, 2013 at 5:00 pm

well whatever you gave me, I can post a new thread if I wanted to—and I noticed this the day you changed my status so it’s not new.

15. Chico said, on January 16, 2013 at 2:09 pm

Wow! http://deadspin.com/5976517/manti-teos-dead-girlfriend-the-most-heartbreaking-and-inspirational-story-of-the-college-football-season-is-a-hoax

I bit my tongue when Flav threw a shot across the bow about Cal yesterday (warranted though), this story is about to blow up! What a fraud!

• Flavor said, on January 16, 2013 at 4:40 pm

Haha! What….the….fuck?
      This reminds me of a classic M*A*S*H episode “Captain Tuttle”. Anyone remember that one?

• zumiee said, on January 16, 2013 at 5:11 pm

Ah, Bach…..yes, I remember all those MASH episodes very well. Captain Tuttle, Private Lamb, Colonel Flagg from Intelligence, and on and on….(grin)

16. pawliekokonuts said, on January 16, 2013 at 4:54 pm

Dear Flappers, I have a slight dilemma. I got the 2012 WS set of 8 discs for Christmas. Slight problem. They are Blu Ray. The LG Blu Ray player my wife installed in the living room, where I’m a guest, is crummy. It “stutters.” (Mike, the entertainment system I won here went to my son.) I don’t want Blu Ray anyway because I want to play them on my MacBook. Not so easy. Plays DVDs. Can convert. But not so easy. Sooooooooo, would anyone want the set of Blu Ray discs for a reasonable offer? I think they listed for $89. Maybe I’m a stubborn simpleton. Anyway, if interested, email me at paulkocak at mac dot com.

• twinfan1 said, on January 16, 2013 at 5:53 pm

Have you considered a Blu-Ray drive for your PC? If you have a desktop, and can install one (easy and I’d help), those are reeasonable these days- about $55-$75. If you have a notebook or want to use an external USB player they start at about $80-$85 .

• pawliekokonuts said, on January 16, 2013 at 6:01 pm

That’s precisely what the Apple folks suggested. so I went to Best Buy. They had one, but could not say if it worked on my Mac. But, yes, that may be the way I go. Email me separately if you like on any specifics I should be alert to. But the external drive, as you suggest, is what they suggested at Apple. Thanks.

17. pawliekokonuts said, on January 16, 2013 at 4:55 pm

Blade, have yourself a literally *wonderful* round-the-world trip!

• blade3colorado said, on January 16, 2013 at 7:38 pm

Pawlie, I just got your phone message. Thank you very much! Dirt and Chuck, I got your messages on my blog as well – thank you both very much for the great bon voyage messages! :-)

Part of my journey will be to find a fair maiden that is wearing a Giants hat, jersey, or . . . umm, dare I say bra? Should I complete this part of my quest, I will forward it to the Flavster for appropriate Flap posting. If she’s really hot, maybe he’ll put her on the BB of the day (or is that for skanks?). :-)

• unca_chuck said, on January 16, 2013 at 9:50 pm

If you find a rally thong, please let us know,

18. zumiee said, on January 16, 2013 at 5:17 pm

Any day now, at local grocery stores- the baseball season preview magazines will start appearing. I really like those things. They signify Spring Training being very close. They’re crammed full of information overload, and also have a way of making me feel very nostalgic, as paper magazines continue to fade from existence.

• tedspe said, on January 16, 2013 at 9:19 pm

And when ya open them and take a big sniff…..aaahhhhh

19. TedSpe said, on January 16, 2013 at 9:17 pm

Blade was in the fucking Air Force??!!
    We salute you!!
    As for me, I did all I could to stay out of military service.
    Which basically came down to..being young enough when Nixon stopped the draft.
    Blade, you’re a MANIAC you know dat !!
    Doing two one acts right now. Saroyan and O’Neill. Getta play an obnoxious drunken Irish sailor in the O’Neal which is type casting, of course.

Lads, I read all the time but just haven’t felt I had anything to offer. I realize that never stopped me before but I’m trying to show a modicum of decorum.
    Yikes

20. tedspe said, on January 16, 2013 at 9:23 pm

Any thoughts on the article today in the SFChron on how possibly Jeff Kent will be a first ballot HOF simply because of the fact he was such a vocal anti-ped???

• tedspe said, on January 16, 2013 at 9:31 pm

Actually, that seems like a good idea for a thread. So I’ ll put that up there allowing, of course, Flav’s power to veto.

21. gardening supplies said, on February 8, 2013 at 1:35 pm

This web site is really a walk-through for all of the info you wanted about this and didn’t know who to ask. Glimpse here, and you’ll definitely discover it

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 501 other followers