Liar,Liar Pants on Fire! Three Galling Lies Told By Three Fools

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on January 17, 2013

Oh baby, we’ve had some fantastic lies get exposed lately, haven’t we?

I’ve read as much as I can read about the Te’o fake girlfriend story and I can’t read anymore. It’s just so…stupid.  If you believe he fell for the hoax then you have to also believe he’s dumber than dirt. I think AT BEST he fell for the hoax early on and then once he found out his buddy/cousin/whatever was playing him, he kept the hoax going for personal gain. I’ve heard about the gay-angle and actually that’s the first thing I thought of when I initially read the story. But I don’t think that’s it.

But the dumbest thing about this entire stupid, weird story isn’t anything that has to do with Te’o. It’s the fact that not a single writer ever bothered to check up on any of this. The scribes had no problem descending on this story like vultures but they weren’t too interested in the facts. Unearthing the facts takes too dang long. It’s a lot easier to just cut and paste from Twitter, right? And I’m a big twitter-reader, but I’m just some dude on the internet. I’m hoping that the people who get paid to report and write shit actually do their jobs. I guess that’s too much to ask…….

Another fantastic liar is Lance Armstrong. Let me be clear about my feelings about him: Fuck him. For starters, the sport of cycling hovers right around swimming  in terms of holding my interest. If I only care about the sport 2 weeks out of every 4 years, it’s a dumb sport. Secondly, there’s nothing worse than a guy who lies to your face for years in a way that makes you think that just maybe,YOU’RE the dumbass who has this figured out all wrong. Then, just as you’ve properly chastised yourself for doubting this great cycling champion, he shows up on fucking Oprah after he’s retired (but with a motive) deciding that NOW is the time to set the record straight. He makes Pete Rose look good.

But in my opinion, even though it didn’t last nearly as long as the other two liar’s lies, the BEST exposed lie of the year was our very own Melky’s lie. Andrew Baggerley wrote an article exposing Melky’s positive test. It was brilliant investigative reporting. Melky stood up and boldly denied everything, essentially making Baggs look like a fool. I’m not going to bother to look up what lies he told that day. But I do remember reading Bagg’s mea culpa the next day. It was contrite, he apologized for jumping to a false conclusion, and in his written words you could almost see his head bowed in shame…..

Three weeks later, it turns out that Baggs was right all along and the Melkster gets busted with a positive PED test. But that didn’t stop Melky. He’s too smart to stop lying. He had his pals create a fake-o website to explain the *supplement* he mistakenly took. It took investigators about 4 minutes to snuff that lie out. He never apologized to Baggs and he skipped out of town without even a word to his teammates. Classy guy. I hope he falls on his face in Toronto.

So what do you guys think? Of the 3 big liars highlighted today, who was the worst, most unforgivable of the three?

About these ads

1. unca_chuck said, on January 17, 2013 at 8:18 pm

I’d say Lance the liar because he threw hundreds of people under the bus along the way of protecting his name. Teammates, friends, sponsors, whoever. And he’s been lying for so long.

2. twinfan1 said, on January 17, 2013 at 8:31 pm

Well, the Melkenstein had the biggest lie and also captures the stupidest lies, an overall 99.6 on the “Dumbometer” Plug In for my new Blogticulator Pro 2013. The first was a doozy in itself because he *knew* he had tested positive. Even Palmeiro lied *before* he was busted.What did Melky think was going to happen? They’d change their mind?
    Then there’s the phony website, which on the sophistication level is like the note from Mom a 9 year old writes excusing himself from school…signed “My Mommy”..

3. Macdog said, on January 17, 2013 at 8:40 pm

Tough one to vote on, that’s for sure, since they’re all slime. But Flav, you absolutely nailed it about the media. I was simultaneously amused and horrified while reading that Deadspin article yesterday as each media blunder was exposed. It’s one thing for what’s probably a rah-rah paper like the one in South Bend to go along for the ride without doing much digging, but the New York Times and Sports Illustrated? Journalism rule #1: If your mother says she loves you, check it out.

4. chipower9 said, on January 17, 2013 at 9:48 pm

I’ve gotta go Armstrong. The dude just out-and-out fucking lied to people’s faces for SO LONG. And as Chuck mentioned…all the people he threw under the bus for all those years. I’m with you, Craig. FUCK YOU, Lance Armstrong!

And agree with you all they way about the media, by and large, being a bunch of lazy fucks.

5. xoot said, on January 17, 2013 at 10:02 pm

The only thing more astonishing than Melky’s dishonesty is the skill with which his agents, ACES, the Levinson brothers, kept their fingerprints off the crime scene. That debacle deserves some sort of award. Layers upon layers of cheating and dishonesty.

Lance Armstrong didn’t lie about surviving cancer, and I really don’t care about cycling as a sport. This college jock is just a joke. A Mormon who can’t even get one real girlfriend? Christ, he’s supposed to have half a dozen wives. That story is pathetic. Who cares? Melky and his crew wins the dishonesty challenge, easily.

• twinfan1 said, on January 17, 2013 at 10:42 pm

And it appears that the offshoot of Armstrong, steroids, and cancer is now a smear campaign trying to link his cancer with the steroid use.While studies in cells and lab animals have linked doping agents to cancer, evidence in humans is anecdotal at best. “It’s possible”. Look, the guy lied, he lied a LOT but trying to dismiss his cancer, one writer called it the “cancer card ” and ilink it to steroid use without a scintilla of evidence far outstrips his terrible behavior on the disgusto meter.

6. zumiee said, on January 17, 2013 at 10:31 pm

One of the biggest things that the Armstrong and Melky situations demonstrate, of course, is that the stuff works. So, there’ll be this ongoing arms race between the drugs and the detection attempts. Something that will be hovering around the world of sports for the foreseeable future.
    I don’t know that any of that is “unforgivable.” Of course, the Giants winning 2 World Series in the last 3 years has made me extremely mellow regarding all things relating to sports. It’s hard to even muster negative vibes toward Tom Brady’s attempt to get his 4th Super Bowl title, tying Montana and Bradshaw.
    But speaking of liars- I actually saw a few minutes of Pete Rose’s reality show. That is what is classified as Must-not-see TV.
    By the way- not a bad job by Oprah interviewing Armstrong. She was very precise in her questioning.

• willedav said, on January 18, 2013 at 8:33 am

unfortunately, you’re right zum on that first paragraph. It’s all about hiding what you are doing from the testers, and that will be the message from all the trainers—“they won’t find it.”
      Hey, Hope Solo got a “warning” pre-Olympics. After getting caught with a diuretic in her system she claimed to be under doctor’s care for a medical condition. Seriously, a diuretic, at her age? Masking agent, designed to hide something else to help recover from injury/add strength in training for highest level of her sport.
      The worst part to me is the msg to kids, who understand little about the risks of doing these things to their over all health (and won’t hear it from trainers), and only see the reward factor of fame and money.

7. snarkk said, on January 18, 2013 at 1:39 am

Armstrong is the worst. He not only bald-face lied for years, but he threatened, berated, sued and flat out tried to destroy the financial status and reputation of many people that dared tell the truth about him. IMO, he is far the worst actor of any of the PEDs users. I hope those he tried to ruin or succeeded in ruining in some respects now come back and sue his ass off for all they can get, plus getting a public apology directly to them. Years ago, while in Texas, I heard from a good source with personal knowledge of Mr. Armstrong that he was a prick in personal dealings on several levels. Greg Lemond, winner of 3 TDFs, years ago said Lance was dirty, and was adamant about it, to the point those two were hugely at odds since then. I don’t have to forgive Armstrong for his lies, they didn’t impact me. But, for those whom he tried to destroy, I’ll leave it to them to decide whether he deserves any forgiveness…

8. Flavor said, on January 18, 2013 at 5:45 am

I give Deadspin some credit for following up on the story but the story they wrote gets a grade of D (from me) for one fatal flaw: the ending. They go through every detail of this lie, following the chronology of it all the way to the present. And then they have the gall to say “a person close to the situation says he’s about 80% sure that Te’o was in on it.”
    WTF is that? Name this *person* or don’t use it in the story. To me, it’s such a weird use of a protected source in a story that didn’t really need it that it makes me question the motive of deadspin in all of this.

9. Bozo said, on January 18, 2013 at 5:52 am

I don’t know anything about this Te’o dude or his fake girlfriend (left hand or right?).
    Couldn’t give two shits about Armstrong, although during his run he probably brought more attention to the Tour just because of the is he/isn’t he factor.
    So my vote goes to our very own Melky. The sad thing to me is, he’d probably still be a Giant if he had addressed the team. But no, the Melkman tippy toed his way out of the locker like a milkman who is doing the married ladies on his route.

My favorite SFGate article lead-in of the day. “Cross-dressing meth priest liked sex in rectory”
    Whoever wrote that should join the BBOTD crowd stat.

• Flavor said, on January 18, 2013 at 5:55 am

I’m a little behind on my BBOTD post today. Hang in there, it’s coming. :)

10. dirtnrocksnomo said, on January 18, 2013 at 7:25 am

Oh, so now you’re calling me dumb? What the fuck man?

I go with Armstrong for all the people he destroyed along the way for doing the one thing he himself could not. Telling the truth. Even his “confession” with Oprah was a half truth. Dude is a total POS in my book.

The Te’o story is just bizarre all around and I don’t even know what to think. Melky? I would probably feel different if the Giants weren’t World Series Champions.

• twinfan1 said, on January 18, 2013 at 8:35 am

I’m not seeing where anyone called you dumb, Micah. I’ve read through all of the commments and I just don’t see.it.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on January 18, 2013 at 8:46 am

“If you believe he fell for the hoax then you have to also believe he’s dumber than dirt.” I’m just messing Twin.

• twinfan1 said, on January 18, 2013 at 8:50 am

I’m a bit baffled because your 7:25 is your first post on this. I’m not trying to stir anything up, I just don’t see how anyone could have called you dumb when you hadn’t said anything.

• twinfan1 said, on January 18, 2013 at 9:12 am

Didn’t see your 8:46.I can tell you I scoured the shit out of my posts, especially the tre Dumbometer Plug In. Plug Ins can misifire.An early version of the Blogticulator “Dumbometer” listed the smartest men in the World and 1-2 were Vince Young and Alex Jones..

11. willedav said, on January 18, 2013 at 7:53 am

It’s cycling, did armstrong really expect everyone to believe he was clean? I’m less inclined to be hard on Melk, and I don’t give a rat’s ass about how he dealt with Baggs, his teammates and the club. And I will say this, same argument as Bonds—you can take all the enhancements you want, but try and lead major league baseball in hitting. Giants won with him and without him, so they’ve moved on.
    All props to St. Mary’s—Dellavedova is my fav college b-ball guy. They are in tough conference and might not make the 64 (or whatever), but that guy plays the game right. He doesn’t taunt people or do flashy me first stuff, just works his ass off and sets up teammates plays d and rebounds. Silencing 19 thou in BYU gym with game winner was awesome, and that was a game they started being behind by 20-4. Santa Clara is much improved, and Kevin Foster is another fun guy to watch. He can really shoot and might be good enough to play overseas.

12. chipower9 said, on January 18, 2013 at 7:55 am

BTW…I have not read the Te’o story…or whatever the fuck his name is…won’t waste the time. Every time I see it come up on the boob tube…I quickly change the channel.

13. Alleykat said, on January 18, 2013 at 8:24 am

Brent Musburger still thinks Teo’s girlfriend is hot as hell though.!!

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on January 18, 2013 at 8:47 am

That’s funny.

14. dirtnrocksnomo said, on January 18, 2013 at 9:11 am

Pence back for 1 year at $13.8M.

• big flavor said, on January 18, 2013 at 9:26 am

excellent. The roster is basically complete.

15. unca_chuck said, on January 18, 2013 at 9:38 am

Was Pence balking at a one-year deal? I thought I heard something like that, but, not sure.

Yeah, Lance had done so much to so many people to maintain his ‘innocence’ that it’s disgusting he’s throwing the mea culpa out there now. All because he wants to compete in triathalons . . .

16. twinfan1 said, on January 18, 2013 at 9:38 am

A Gallery of World’s worsts, biggests, etc is on Page B. This is a bonus pic. Man most in need of the Mansierre.
    Special Advisory:if this gives you an erection for more than four hours, don’t call anyone. Let it kill you.

man

17. unca_chuck said, on January 18, 2013 at 9:43 am

And, in the excerpts I’ve seen in the interviews, he’s like “yeah I lied about everything. I was dirty every race.” Like he’s discussing lunch plans. I didn’t expect him to cry or freak out, but his answers were delivered with a half-smile and a no-big-deal attitude. He did feel like he was cheating at the time, he didn’t feel like he was letting anyone down, and he couldn’t even answer why he was coming clean now.

I think he wants to compete again. Whether mountain biking or triathlons or whatever. Hence he needs to come clean that he’s now clean.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on January 18, 2013 at 9:47 am

Who knows what his motivation is but dude sure is an arrogant a-hole. I was surprised at Oprah getting into the details like she did. Especially with the racing questions and timelines. I figure she would totally softball the whole thing.

• chipower9 said, on January 18, 2013 at 10:10 am

The bit I saw (and I have no desire to spend a ton of time watching the interview, etc….Fuck that Fucking Fuck) he said he did NOT feel he was cheating…only “leveling the playing field.” Again, this was a short snippet of the interview I saw. Almost like he was saying, “hey, everyone else was doping, it was all I could do to stay competitive.”

• unca_chuck said, on January 18, 2013 at 4:57 pm

Yeah, I meant to say didn’t . . .

18. chipower9 said, on January 18, 2013 at 10:06 am

I never heard anything about Pence balking at a one year deal (he doesn’t have the ability to control that situation until next year when he is a free agent). I have heard him say he is interested in a long-term deal, though, and I am sure his performance this year will play heavily into those discussions and decision.

Here is an article from MLBTR. Five other remaining AE cases…

19. chipower9 said, on January 18, 2013 at 10:08 am

13.8 is a lot of scratch, but I think it was the right decision.

• Flavor said, on January 18, 2013 at 10:40 am

well they didn’t have another option for RF and 13.8 sounds about right had they gone to arbitration, maybe a million high or so.

20. twinfan1 said, on January 18, 2013 at 11:00 am

I’ve rethought the liar subject- Manti could be more victim than perp.And even if he was lying, it’s waaaaaay more sad than bad. IMO.
    Melky- dumbest lie but also he lied about something he never should have had to lie about.
    Armstrong-ditto, but as others have said, he smeared too many people in denying his use.
    So I vote none of the above. Actually, none of these are big in a grand sense. The Romney campaign lies, the NRA lies, the lies about KFC gameday bucket “go boom”.. those worry me more..
    But the Armstrong strory is the most troubling of the sports stories- as has been said- there’s Lance the Liar Athlete. But there’s also Lance the the humanitarian and philanthropist. The cancer survivor and founder of Livestrong. Things are never as simple as the media and indeed *us* want them to be. As Nick Baletta writes on CNBC, Armstrong the athete is finished, but “The parents, the survivors, the fighters, the families and the medical professionals don’t care about “Athlete Lance.” They believe in “Philanthropist Lance” and the value of the underlying assets. They are living proof of the good he has done and the value he has brought and can continue to bring. They will help him restructure. ….More people have been touched by cancer than cycle or complete triathlons. Anyone who battles cancer or supports one who does needs to put out an effort that is herculean. There are exponentially more people who understand that. None of them know what it takes to ride a bike up a mountain, nor do they care. Lance needs to focus his efforts on that constituency and get them to reinvest in his “restructure.”
    His apology won’t make those he’s hurt feel better but if he shows to be Humaritian Lance in the new life he must now begin, he can still one day be remembered more for his good works than for the harm his old life wrought…

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on January 18, 2013 at 3:53 pm

I get what you’re saying Twin but there would be no Philanthropist Lance without Lying Piece of Shit Lance. His tainted athletic performance built this house of cards that is crumbling. Any good he may have done is unknown at this point without a full audit of his foundation. Afterall, how do we know it isn’t all a big scam that enriched Armstrong and used cancer patients as window dressing? He’s not exactly a moral compass that we can take at his word.

Nobody forced him to go on prime time and do that interview with Oprah. He should have been full on 100% honest and answered every question and that isn’t what I took from it. He wouldn’t even address the defamation of Betsy Andreu. A woman with real integrity that told the truth only to have Armstrong and his web of influence try to destroy by calling her a liar and questioning her sanity. Off the record of course.

Maybe Armstrong will be more forthcoming in the coming days or months or years but to me his performance in that interview was not an act of contrition but a calculated act of damage control and lawyer speak. You could practically see Ari Fleischer pulling the puppet strings. American’s are a forgiving people and support those who after seeking redemption try for a second or even a third act in life but only after they have gotten their pound of flesh in the public arena.

21. chipower9 said, on January 18, 2013 at 11:04 am

Yeah…the KFC GameDay bucket is a biggie! ;-)

22. chipower9 said, on January 18, 2013 at 11:07 am

So, the Giants have five players left who are AE:

Arias, Blanco, Hensley, Posey and Romo.

Do they go with a long-term deal for Posey this year? They already have a lot of coin committed, but over the long-haul, it may make more sense to lock him up, now.

What about Romo? Would you entertain a LT deal with him, too?

Another piece I would like to see the team get done is to bring back Theriot. I read where yesterday the Rangers and Tribe have shown interest (in addition to the Giants and Phils).

• Alleykat said, on January 18, 2013 at 1:17 pm

Let’s just throw five at sixty for Hensley for laughs.

23. chipower9 said, on January 18, 2013 at 11:09 am

Just got ST tix for the remaining two games that my daughter and I will attend. Yeah, got bent OVER the fucking barrell. $125 for two lower box seats (front row) to see the Reds, and $111 for same two seats to see the Rox on Sunday. Not complaining…very happy to be in the position to be going down to Scottsdale again, with my daughter, and to be taking in the games.

24. chipower9 said, on January 18, 2013 at 11:15 am

Had not seen the news on Mijares from yesterday…if this is a repost, my bad. He signed for 1.8 yesterday (allegedly…per MLBTR). Blanco has allegedly signed today for 1.35.

That leaves Posey, Romo, and Hensley…

25. blade3colorado said, on January 18, 2013 at 12:17 pm

Stranded on some rock called Fiji. New post on my blog . . . :-)

• Bozo said, on January 18, 2013 at 1:30 pm

See this is why I could never do a RTW trip. I’d get to Fiji and say, I’m good.
      Cheers dude.

• chipower9 said, on January 18, 2013 at 1:32 pm

I second that, John!

26. blade3colorado said, on January 18, 2013 at 12:27 pm

I just took a poll of a Hawaiian, Fijian, and a Samoan – They said Armstrong is the biggest liar of them all. Oh yeah, they all said he is a shitty swimmer in his triathlon competitions.

27. blade3colorado said, on January 18, 2013 at 12:33 pm

Me? My stock broker is the biggest liar of them all. Ha. :-)

28. dirtnrocksnomo said, on January 18, 2013 at 1:05 pm

Posey gets 1 year at $8M. Sabean and Evans are busy today.

29. chipower9 said, on January 18, 2013 at 1:33 pm

Yep…Ink (no, not Tat ink) is flying all over the place. Buster at 8 mil is a bargain. I would still like to see them ink him to a long-term deal. Next year I suspect it gets done.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on January 18, 2013 at 2:51 pm

I think they’ll handle it at spring training. Less pressure to deal when neither side is under the gun of arbitration.

30. Alleykat said, on January 18, 2013 at 2:20 pm

The Florence Freedom minor league baseball team are giving away bobbleheads for Manti Teo’s girlfriend, because of course they are.
    On Thursday May 23,the Freedom will be giving away the Mant Teo girlfriend bobblehead to the first 1,000 fans through the gate.
    “This will be the best bobblehead a fan can get.” Because now fans can make the bobblehead out to be whatever they want it to be.”
    Yes Freedom fans, the box will be empty,but that’s where fans imagination can run wild and individual stories about what the bobblehead should really look like begin.
    To add to the imaginary fun section 115 will be blocked and reserved only for fan to sit with their imaginary friends,girlfriends/boyfriends/or spouses.Their will also be a make petend kiss cam,Air guitar contest and an imaginary food fight outside the “Airheads” kid zone.

• chipower9 said, on January 18, 2013 at 2:37 pm

That’s some funny shit, Kat. LMAO…

31. twinfan1 said, on January 18, 2013 at 3:10 pm

At worst Manti is not very bright and very deeply disturbed. At best he’s deeply disturbed. I’m sorry but there’s nothing remotely funny about this, IMO.

• Flavor said, on January 18, 2013 at 3:36 pm

It’s funny because its so stupid. IMO

• twinfan1 said, on January 18, 2013 at 3:55 pm

True. Where does the story go? Nowhere. He’s mentally disturbed or he’s a lot mentally disturbed. It’s definitely so stupid.

• willedav said, on January 19, 2013 at 6:26 am

cards play in ND next year…youi know the band is already working on something….”she’s not there” at the least.

32. unca_chuck said, on January 18, 2013 at 5:01 pm

Te’o could simply be a glory hound. A couple of his roomates have said as much.

• twinfan1 said, on January 18, 2013 at 5:12 pm

Yeah, he’s basking in glory. The “could be ” brand of journalism is out of control. The roomie story would be that he made up a girfriend and then had her die? That ain’t a glory hound. It’s a sick kid.

33. twinfan1 said, on January 18, 2013 at 5:43 pm

So if he’s a “glory hound”,, he made up the girlfriend and then had her die for the sympathy it would create. Translation: he’s mentally disturbed.
    Or he’s the victim of a cruel hoax that he went along because of the shame: he’s not real bright and some hideous creatures took advantage of that.Actually it doesn’t matter what the real story turns out to be because regardless of what it is, this young man is hardly a perp, however you cut it, it’s a sad sad story. What the media has done with IT is stupid.And irresponsible. and WRONG..
    I realize I’m almost certainly in the minority again, but I’m imagining what I think any parent would feel if their son or daughter was the Manti Te’o in this hoax- get him/her help. Ayway, we all feel what we feel- it is what is an all that stuff. But it makes me sad- not angry, not happy, just sad.
    So-who’s playing him on SNL tonight?

• zumiee said, on January 18, 2013 at 5:51 pm

No one, since it’s Friday. (grin)

• twinfan1 said, on January 18, 2013 at 6:02 pm

Thanks, days of the week are not real big unless there’s a game. Friday what date? Uh-oh, did I miss the game? The Giants were in Philly, right? I can still catch 3 or 4 innings ..

• zumiee said, on January 18, 2013 at 6:56 pm

Oh I definitely wish there was a Giants game on tonight instead of this Kings/Grizzlies game. (grin)

• Nipper said, on January 18, 2013 at 5:57 pm

He’s another sad liar.

• twinfan1 said, on January 18, 2013 at 6:05 pm

Don’t you have a trannie and some fine white port waiting for you in the van, Nip?

• twinfan1 said, on January 18, 2013 at 6:22 pm

Nip, due to unexcused absences and less than enthusiastic brown nosing, I’m afraid to inform you that your employment as my lackey has been terminated. I’ll mail your final check to the Pinole Nursing Home as usual, you can pick it up there.

• xoot said, on January 18, 2013 at 6:37 pm

I agree. The story is sad and pathetic. But he was a ND star, and that makes something of a difference. If he were playing for AZ State the story would barely make the headlines. A lot of people, me included, somehow sense that ND deserves what it’s getting out of this farce. But if I feel like laughing at ND, I’ve long since exhausted any laughing I had to do at the guy in the spotlight. I’d be happy to see the light go out right now. (Of course, it won’t, but I won’t be watching any longer.)

34. zumiee said, on January 18, 2013 at 5:45 pm

This is an amusing article that made me think of Pawlie and other book authors. The ‘real story’ about book tours. (grin)

• xoot said, on January 18, 2013 at 9:41 pm

Martin Amis’s The Information, has a hilarious US book tour. Real writers, like Pawlie, write; then they have to deal with that absurd system. It ain’t their fault.

35. snarkk said, on January 19, 2013 at 12:03 am

I thought Hensley has already signed with somebody else…

36. Bozo said, on January 19, 2013 at 6:53 am

With the Bonds picture up, I thought I’d share this article. IMO, it’s a pretty fair article.

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 493 other followers