49ers Back in the Super Bowl! Yeah Buddy!!!!!!!!

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on January 21, 2013

When the Niners started their Super Bowl dynasty run I was in that 10-18 year old range—basically, most of my childhood (the part of my childhood that mattered, anyway) and the perfect point in life to become a fan. We won 4 Super Bowls in that decade and I say “we” because the fans win them, too. They become part of your identity that get stored away in your past and stay with you for the rest of your life.

After Joe left, the Niners were still great but not the same *great* that they had been. They did win a Super Bowl in the mid 90’s. That was a long time ago. It didn’t hit me how long ago till yesterday as the clock ticked down to zero in Atlanta. I had forgotten what that feeling was like—And it was much different than what I felt after the Giants won in 2010. This was like a return-to-my-childhood type of feeling. It’s like a quiet confidence, something  like a knowing dude head nod but with less wisdom.

So yesterday’s win was a great, great day for me. I stayed confident throughout the entire game, even after we went down 17-0. My buddy from my softball team was an emotional wreck—here is the chain of texts we exchanged throughout the game (my comments are in green).

text1

Here’s are the texts after we went down 17-0:

text2

I continued to talk him down off the ledge, even using a softball reference as a reference point and I clearly stayed strong and focused even after the horrific Crabtree goal line fumble:

text3

and finally, just as it did in the 80’s, everything makes sense again in my world and the Niners are back in the Super Bowl. It has been an easy feeling to get to know again…..

text4

About these ads

1. Bozo said, on January 21, 2013 at 9:07 am

Cool Hand Flavor.

I’m what you might call, a wee bit under the overhang today. What a great fucking game.

Yeah Buddy!

2. twinfan1 said, on January 21, 2013 at 9:08 am

Yeah, there was a freakorama over on Chuckie’s site. You’d think that fans who’ve watched football much would be more sane. I’m not a true fan and I had to do some talking down myself..
    This was much closer than most thought it would be,and Fangio’s coverage defense and no pressure on Ryan almost blew it.Ryan wasn’t given nearly the respect he deserved and their receivers are just flat out better than our defenders. They finally started to get some presure late and it was the diff at the end of Atlanta’s last drive. And hey, we got a much deserved make up call- the replay ruling that the pass to Douglas was complete was wrongo and could have cost the game if the refs had called Bowman for mauling White on 4th down at the 10. Definitely could have drawn a flag-but didn’t-and justice prevailed. Kap was fabulous and VD a monster, Gore should get the “decade ball”…
    So it’s on to New Orleans and what will be another tough game- against a QB who has been nails in the postseason. I already called 17-16 Niners. After being granted a waiver on signing and activating rules, the Niners sign Scott Norwood, now working as a peanut vendor at the game, with 13 seconds left, waive Akers, and Scott hits the game winner from 42.

3. Bozo said, on January 21, 2013 at 9:23 am

I admit that I can be an ass, so be it. My favorite photo from the The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. http://www.ajc.com/gallery/sports/scene-fans-georgia-dome/g7Xg/#3036659

4. Alleykat said, on January 21, 2013 at 10:03 am

You can bet Jimbo’s halftime speech to the defense was “EPIC”,Might have brought in both that guy in the commercial and Singletary to drop his pants!!!
    Whatever he said,the D responded and Shut them out the 2nd half!!!!

5. JBat said, on January 21, 2013 at 10:15 am

Good post. I have to admit, I’ve been a bit of a negative nellie over the years, maybe from years of disappointment following the Giants. I don’t know. But this week was different. Since the end of the Seahawks-Falcons game, I had a confidence that the Niners were going to go to Atlanta and win the game. Like you Flavor, even when it was 17-0, I believed they’d come back and win. Even after 2 second half turnovers led to zero points, I believed they’d come back and win. I said as much on Unca Chuck’s blog.

It was a roller coaster, but in the end it was one of the great playoff wins in the storied history of the 49ers. And I’m just as confident they’re going to go to New Orleans in 2 weeks and bring home Super Bowl trophy #6.

6. Salty said, on January 21, 2013 at 10:34 am

Think their record now after being down 17-0 improved to 2-65. The missed FG, followed by Atl Td was tough and the Crabtree fumble had me thinking back to last yr’s title game. And who wasn’t thinking Atl was going to score on that final drive and it would come down to Akers trying a game tying FG? I honestly didn’t think they were going to pull this off. Even with 30 seconds and they were trying to run out the clock, I thought of Billy “White Shoes” Johnson catching that hail mary in the end zone to beat them. Can’t help after watching the Giants and 49er’s over the last 50 years to think the worse can happen.

• twinfan1 said, on January 21, 2013 at 10:45 am

Salty, you should have come up here. had some great chow, and I never had a single doubt…uh, the doctor says there’s a 50-50 chance my fingernails grow back..

• salty said, on January 21, 2013 at 11:23 am

Ha ha

7. twinfan1 said, on January 21, 2013 at 10:36 am

I’ve never seen a reason to change my call of a Niner/Raven Super Bowl that I made before and after the QB change here. This is just as it should be except for the nauseating coverage there will be about the brother angle. Look, I’m sure they were fierce hide-and-seek competitors, no one had it better than they did, Mom makes a killer spinach dip, yada yada. Thank God I have two weeks worth of recorded great games to watch…………………………………………………Uh, I nodded off there for a sec, Did Norwood make it?

8. snarkk said, on January 21, 2013 at 11:51 am

I wasn’t PO’d at Crabby for that fumble. He was fighting for the TD, and got mugged. It wasn’t a case of being careless. He’s really improved as a player. Kaep hits him with a quick ball in stride, which helps Crabby get yardage after catch…

• Flavor said, on January 21, 2013 at 12:02 pm

I didn’t have a prob with Crabs, either. My biggest compliant wasn’t even the Akers miss–the one time I got pissed off yesterday (besides that fuckin “catch” that was clearly in the ground) was after the Niners scored with 2 min left in 1st half and they let Atlanta waltz downfield and score a td in like 60 seconds.

• zumiee said, on January 21, 2013 at 1:12 pm

I liked Crabtree’s body language on the sideline after the fumble. He had a determined look on his face and walked up and down the sideline, like “I’ll make up for that. We’re gonna get this.”

• twinfan1 said, on January 21, 2013 at 3:13 pm

Crabtree’s fumble was definitely a case of a guy fighting for the EZ, no problem with that at all.Not much pissed me off about either of yesterday’s games. And the coup de grace was Shannon Sharpe calling out Bellicose…

9. zumiee said, on January 21, 2013 at 1:26 pm

Regarding how it feels compared to the “glory years”…..those glory years were magical. What happened this season is very satisfying, but doesn’t feel quite the same magic to me. It was all “new” back then. Just like the Giants in 2010. It’s just never going to be quite the same as that. Still great when the new accomplishments happen, and certainly great to see the Niners climb all the way back to where they are now; but not the exact same magical sparkle. Back in the ’80s, a group of friends and I used to go up to Rocklin to watch the Niners practice during the summer, in the 100 degree heat. We were awestruck to be in that kind of close proximity to the players. Those are some of my best 49er memories.
    The Kapaernick story has some local magic for those of us in the middle of the Central Valley. I drove through Turlock recently, a nice city, and thought of Kappy playing high school ball there. It’s a very cool thing for us Central Valley folks, so many of whom are Niner fans.

10. Flavor said, on January 21, 2013 at 6:20 pm

If any of you dudes can find a link that shows how many pitches Harvey Haddix threw in his near-perfect game, I’d appreciate it. thanks.

• Alleykat said, on January 21, 2013 at 7:05 pm

Flav..Just googled Harvey Haddix near perfect game pitch count.
      May 26,1959….Pitch counts and radar guns had yet to invade the sport,but according to the Western Union accont,Harvey Haddix threw 115 pitches,82 of them strikes.The most he threw in an inning was 14 in the 12th when he was tiring.Hope this helps…

• Flavor said, on January 21, 2013 at 7:26 pm

Thanks Kat, you google better than I do.

11. PawlieKokonuts said, on January 21, 2013 at 8:14 pm

As much as the comments themselves I like the fact that you can show them as you do.

Some game.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on January 21, 2013 at 8:32 pm

By “comments” I mean the texts back and forth during the game.

12. unca_chuck said, on January 21, 2013 at 8:54 pm

That’s cool stuff, Zumie. Even earlier, the Niners used to practice at Sequoia HS in Redwood City. The football field was right near the corner bordering the El Camino, so practices were easy to watch. Which was right down the street from Harry’s Hof Brau. A smorgasbord kind of place where you could eat tons of food for cheap. So natch, the Niner players would head down there. My step father worked right up the street, and we’d head down there to see if anyone was around. More often than not, you’d run into former and current players. Brodie was rarely one of them, but Charlie Krueger was a regular, and Bob St Clair was one as well. Ted Kwalick, DIck Whicher, Dave Wilcox and a bunch of others I got to meet. My stepfather even got me a signed ball (which I stupidly trashed) from the 1972 team.

• eddacker said, on January 21, 2013 at 10:07 pm

This is something I remember from my sports history. Even though I lived in the east bay we would cross the San Mateo bridge to hang out. It may have been because we couldn’t afford to go to games?

13. unca_chuck said, on January 21, 2013 at 9:07 pm

That catch was such a fucking hometown call. That was the most aggravating moment about the game. If it came at the cost of the near-holding call by Bowman? So be it. BUT I’ll say the refs were letting the WRs/defenders pretty much battle without getting too hankie happy. And the Niners got a huge break on the brush of Kappy’s facemask/roughing the passer call.

14. Sportdude said, on January 21, 2013 at 10:23 pm

Great post Craig! My dad was mostly a Raider Fan in the 70’s. Davis moved our team. Asshole. Next! in 1980 we became Niner fans. I was 15. Good timing right!

15. twinfan1 said, on January 21, 2013 at 10:48 pm

If the catch wasn’t reversed, it would not have ended the drive.It would have been 4th and two.But whatever- they got lucky, we got lucky.We go to New Orleans, they don’t.The hometown call claim is absurd- if there was a hometown bias the flag would have called on Bowman, with no replay, of course.The QBs were equally good, their receivers destroyed our DBs, in the end it got down to finally pressuring Ryan and the lack of a running attack by Atlanta.
    I’ve been here for all of their Super Bowl years, and the NFC title game is still the bigger deal to me than the SB.That’s why last year was such a bummer for me, and this year, yesterday was sweet, especially the way the team came back. The title game is nail biting time, the Super Bowl is gravy. I can watch the Super Bowl, throw the ball with Zeke, do the dishes, laundry, whatever. I’m not glued to the tube like I am for the NFC title game.

16. Bozo said, on January 22, 2013 at 5:52 am

When the Niners won the first SB I was living in the Inner Sunset. The area around 9th and Irving just exploded, people just streaming out to the streets. People climbing on to the sides of the N Judah, surfing on the top of them. I don’t recall any windows getting broken or anything getting smashed (I’m sure a few cars had dents from folks standing on them). Just an out-pour of years of frustrations being released.
    One of the later parades I remember kicking myself because Eddie D took Joe, Jerry and a bunch of the team to Red’s Java House and had burgers and beers before the parade. How could I have missed that?
    Anyway, after the first SB win, I agree with Twin, the NFC Championship game was the one that always had my stomach in knots. Well except for 89. At the end of 89 it seemed like the team was taking it up a notch each game. After kicking the Rams ass for the Championship, the Rams HC (Robinson?) said he’d hate to be the next team to face us and I’d imagine, Denver did hate it.
    All that said, the Quest for Six is on and I can’t wait to watch this one.

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 485 other followers