The Perfect Game

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on January 22, 2013

Reading the transactions yesterday, I saw Phil Humber got scooped up by the Astros off the scrap heap and went back to double check that he was, in fact, one of the 23 pitchers to throw a perfect game. Sure enough, he did it. It really should only be one of 21, not 23. Two cats from 1880 tossed a perfect game but the rules were different. Prior to 1893, pitchers only threw underhand from a flat box 45 feet away from home plate. You had to get to an 8-ball count before you drew a walk and a hit batter did not get a free pass to first base. So please make a note that Big Flavor has changed the total number of perfect games from 23 to 21. Hmmm, cross that off the list, baseball historians can thank me later. Off to the next task of the day……

Perhaps the greatest unofficial perfect game was pitched by Harvey Haddix in 1959. He tossed 12 perfect innings vs the Brewers. Then, in the 13th, the third baseman made an error allowing the leadoff runner to bat. He was sacrificed over to 2nd and Hank Aaron was walked. Joe Adcock (too many jokes…must focus on typing sentence) blasted a home run that turned into a double when AdCOCK passed Aaron on the bases. Sounds like a pretty crazy game. I couldn’t find how many pitches Haddix threw, but AlleyKat was the offical bat boy that day and says he personally counted 115 total, 82 of them for strikes. (Just checking to see if anyone is actually reading this). :) :) :)

Three of the last five perfect games have come against the Tampa Bay Rays. Weird.

And according the me, the greatest of all 21 was thrown by our very own Matt Cain on June 13th of last year.

Anyway, 3-D world time……

About these ads

1. Flavor said, on January 22, 2013 at 6:00 am

WillieD–if you’re reading this, I need a good rebounding drill if you’ve got one. Thanks in advance.

• willedav said, on January 22, 2013 at 7:58 am

rebounding for girls is a tough one, but think about this—what are shooting pcts at younger ages? Hey, if 70% and up of shots are going to miss, it’s nice to corral as many of those as possible.
      Two things–one is footwork. girl starts under the hoop and throws the ball out to you (or teammate) and runs and reverse pivots into you and makes contact (key word) with low center of gravity, then as you shoot she rebounds. You can have them do this wthout a ball briefly just so they get footwork down.
      Second, they have to jump. Two ways to do this. One, stand on left side of hoop and have girl on other side at the block, knees bent hands up. Throw the ball off the backboard to their side, they have to jump up rebound and finish a two foot shot. Go both sides couple times through, but make sure they jump and get it with two hands.
      I also use a warm up type drill that does same thing from different angle. I’m under the hoop with a line at top of the key and another at wing. Girl has ball at top of key, throws it to me and runs in, I throw it off the back board and she jumps up and rebounds it, pivots and throws ball to wing (follows pass) and wing throws it to top (follows pass) top throws to you and runs in, etc. Gets them running, jumping and passing. Go couple times through and then switch sides so they have to pivot on other foot, etc.’.
      I use one more that’s a little more complicated (2 on 2), but let me know. there is one more fun one I call animal drill. arrange kids by height on sideline, 3 smallest of them inside the key, you throw up a shot (makee them see you and yell shot) and they rebound and try to score…..without dribbling. Girls and guys love this, and it gets goofy, but if you score you come out and next kid comes in. You can also fake them out and toss the ball to one kid if they are not watching you and the ball (most important in a game, right?). You don’t rebound and score, you stay in. Limit it or you could be there a while, and if ball goes out of bounds or far away, just take the ball back and shoot again yourself.

• Flavor said, on January 22, 2013 at 8:45 am

fantastic, thanks so much my man. We’ll be doing all of this at our Friday night practice. We lost on Sat (by a bucket) and it was all due to one opposing player taking down like 20 rebounds.

2. Bozo said, on January 22, 2013 at 6:21 am

Not trying to be an Adcock here, but I think in 1959 it was the Milwaukee Braves not the Brewers.

3. twinfan1 said, on January 22, 2013 at 9:24 am

I’ve posted about the Haddix game many times, I listened to the game on the radio….. thanks to Kat for the pitch count and Craig for the thread. The ’59 Bucs were a disappointment after a ’58 season that promised great things to come after years of ineptitude ( they lost 100+ games 3 years in a row from ’52-’54) But even though they were just 78-76 in 1959, the pieces were falling into place. The great Clemente was still, uh, not so great after several years.The fans were impatient for the player he had been thought to be and he was considered a hypocondriac (he was) and a hot dog (I loved that part.) But Maz, Groat, My birthday Man Dick Stuart, Burgess, Virdon, Skinner, Vern Law, Bob Friend, Elroy Face .. this had the makings of a darn good team- and Roberto would break out in their momentous 1960 season. This was the year that Face had one of the most bizarre seasons by a reliever ever. Face was 18-1, blew 9 of 19 SVOs, won 4 of those blown saves… he was the Luckiest Pitcher on the Planet.,..Harvey was a whisper of a man- BRef lists him as 5-10 170– well, maybe that was what hew dreamed he was- more like 140-tops. He was sick as dog the day of the game,, there wasn’t much expected that night…
    The third baseman who made the error to end the perfecto was Don Hoak, a solid journeynman. Don was married to a popular singer/actress, Jill Corey. Don and Harvey are both deceased- Don of a heart attack at age 41, Harvey of emphysema at age 68…winning pitcher was Lew Burdette, who tossed a 13 inning tidy little 12 hitter..
    From Albert Chen of SI:
    “Hours after his loss to the Braves, Haddix and Bob Smith were in their room at the Schroeder. The phone rang off the hook, and telegrams piled up on a desk. Around 5 a.m. the pair decided to break curfew and took a walk around the empty downtown. After wandering for a bit, they entered a 24-hour greasy spoon, and as they ate breakfast they overheard two men talking about the extraordinary game that had taken place at the ballpark across town. “Harv didn’t want to say anything,” says Smith, “and he sure didn’t want me to say anything. The way he saw it then, he pitched a pretty good game, but the team lost. So what was the big deal?”
    The two players got up from their seats. With his teammate at his side, the man who pitched the greatest game ever walked out of the diner, as anonymously as he had entered it.”

Postnote: Harvey was the winning pitcher in relief when Maz made dreams come true when he turned Forbes Field, and indeed all of western Pennsylvania, into an “outdoor insane asylum” on October 13, 1960…
    Below, Adcock roundedthe bases as Harvey stood motionless.
    harv

• Flavor said, on January 22, 2013 at 10:14 am

fantastic post.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on January 22, 2013 at 5:41 pm

That is priceless, Twin. I like the diner story. Would make a great movie scene. I remember the Haddix game as a kid, but only from the news stories. (Do you think Clemente was that much of a hypochondriac? We thought that as kids, but it seemed to me that the David Maraniss bio disspelled some of that.)

• twinfan1 said, on January 22, 2013 at 8:58 pm

Because he said he had many injuries yet played through them, it was thought that he wasn’t really hurt. I shouldn’t have said he was a hyponchondriac, just that he had been thought to be one. My bad..
        I loved Roberto, adult fans had a hard time accepting him-not just the ethnic issue, but the hypochondriac thing, he often appeared nonchalant, like many Latinos fans perceived it as laziness, plus he really didn’t produce until the championship season.
        It’s a testament to his spectacular defense and throwing arm thay many consider him the greatest RFer ever even though he never had the power numbers that are associated with that position.
        As a player, nothing sums it up better to me than this: he played in 14 World Series games and hit in all of them.
        His greatest legacy, of course, is not as a ballplayer but as a humanitarian. The shock of hearing of his death on New Year’s Eve, 1972 while flying food and supplies to earthquake survivors in Nicaragua, was magnified because his good works weren’t known but to a few.I think he was the first stand-out Latino in MLB and paved the way for many greats to follow. That and his stature as a man should compel MLB to retire his number as was done for Jackie Robinson.
        May I suggest his unform number be our reminder tomorrow that baseball is right around the corner?

arriba

• twinfan1 said, on January 22, 2013 at 9:20 pm

I love this photo as it shows the strong hand that I see as symbolic of his love for children and how safe a child must have felt in the his arms.His widow established Roberto Clemente Sports City at his request.
        “He identified with the struggler and the family,” says Luis Rodriguez-Mayoral, the center’s director of international affairs and Clemente’s former confidant and biographer. “He was never too tough to touch the head of a baby.”

4. Alleykat said, on January 22, 2013 at 1:30 pm

We should have Wes Welker’s Anna,as BB of thr Day!!
    Not only for laying into Ray “The Thug” Lewis
    But because she is “SMOKIN HOT!!!!
    She is right up this Kat’s Alley!!!!

• chipower9 said, on January 22, 2013 at 1:57 pm

I’m with ya, Kat! Smokin’!!!

• PawlieKokonuts said, on January 22, 2013 at 5:49 pm

I got a tad confused when I went from these comments to the actual BB of the Day. Loved the comments, esp. FerretHead’s.

5. blade3colorado said, on January 22, 2013 at 3:21 pm

Two new blog posts. Heading to the Rotorua hot springs today. Yesterday, I went to caves called Waitomo (snarrk knows about it) where thousands of worms glow in the dark. Almost like looking at a night sky with stars. Caverns are humongous with a river going through them. Tomorrow, I am going to hike a national park called Tongariro, then make my way further south to Wellington for the ferry crossing to NZ’s South island.

I hope you are all well! Go 49ers!

6. Flavor said, on January 22, 2013 at 5:35 pm

One of the first things I thought was cool about The Thrill. He wore #22 and he WAS 22 (years old). Don’t know why I thought it was cool or why I remembered it all these years. Feeling old right now.

• Alleykat said, on January 23, 2013 at 7:20 am

What wasn’t cool ,was watching Eli Whiteside wearing #22.

7. PawlieKokonuts said, on January 22, 2013 at 5:47 pm

I don’t remember if I made this public confession or not last year: I missed Cain’s perfecto. I was sleeping. Fer feck sake, I can’t stay up for every night game! RaysFanGio called me on my cell. I didn’t answer. He was — and remains — merciless about it. Hey, I’m supposed to know in advance it will be a perfect game?! All right. I’ve come clean. I still don’t feel better. (Look at it this way, 568,337 people probably claim they were at the Polo Grounds for Bobby Thomson’s HR. It wasn’t even a full house for a playoff game. Thirty thousand something; capacity 55,000.)

• Bozo said, on January 22, 2013 at 7:18 pm

Pawlie, I almost pulled the plug myself. My wife was going to bed and I told her “Honey, my pitcher is throwing a pretty good game. I’ll be up in a minute”. When I started doing the Fuck Yeah yell she came down to find out what was going on. I told her Matt just threw a perfect game and before she turned to go back to bed she said “Yes!!”.
      I didn’t see Bobby Thomson’s HR and have never been to the Polo Grounds (shrug).

• Flavor said, on January 22, 2013 at 7:45 pm

Do either of you two sleepy slugs remember my post that day. I said he was going to throw a freaking no hitter. I missed on the “perfect” part. I don’t care what time zone you’re in, when Flavor calls for a no hitter 12 hours before it actually happens, I’d stay up to see the next inning. At least till they got a hit.
        Come on, I was str8-$ that day….

• PawlieKokonuts said, on January 22, 2013 at 7:49 pm

Well, at least you have your priorities straight, Clown. Some would say the “F*ck Yeah” shouts should emanate from the bedroom, but who am I to say? [insert hetero sardonic smiley face]

• PawlieKokonuts said, on January 22, 2013 at 7:51 pm

Oh, sure. As blogmeister, you can probably *backdate* any post to make yourself look good. Produce it, Magnus. Show us! C’mon!

• Bozo said, on January 23, 2013 at 5:04 am

Yeah Flav I remember. And, if I remember right, you called something else and were right on that as well. I seem to recall you were in a prognosticator’s wet dream of a zone.

8. willedav said, on January 22, 2013 at 7:55 pm

Speaking of Joe Adcock, I think he hit a couple bombs himself the day Mays blasted 4 out of County Stadium against the Braves., which I remember listening to on radio as a kid.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on January 22, 2013 at 8:00 pm

…and if not mistaken, he was one of the few ever to hit a homer to center at the Polo Grounds. Another one who did it will surprise you: Lou Brock. (Now I have to check to see if these are true.)

• PawlieKokonuts said, on January 22, 2013 at 8:03 pm

from Wiki:
        After the 1923 remodeling, only four players ever hit a home run into the center field stands:

Luke Easter in a Negro League game in 1948
        Joe Adcock in 1953 (April 29)
        Hank Aaron and Lou Brock on consecutive days (June 17 and 18) in 1962.

Brock, a member of the Chicago Cubs at the time, is the surprising name on that list (accomplishing the feat on his 23rd birthday), as he was noted mostly for hits and stolen bases (especially after being traded to the Cardinals in 1964), but he displayed power-hitting capability from time to time, and one season hit 20 home runs, with a personal high of 21 in 1967.

9. PawlieKokonuts said, on January 22, 2013 at 7:58 pm

It is so fecking cold, I didn’t even walk the dog tonight. Not good for me or the dog. But man the wind was like knives. Once I parked my VW Rabbit at 6:05 (we have alternate side of the street parking and no driveway), I was in for the night. COLD. New subject: I’m a victim of my own Quixotic expectations. I thought that after my postcards for the book were scattered around Finnerty’s I’d be besieged by emails and swamped by an avalanche of sales. Um, let me put it this way: you don’t wanna know. In all honesty, I have to remember I did the whole thing primarily for myself and for the love of it. I should forbid myself from looking at Amazon sales data, which I can become fixated on, like day trading. Sigh. (BTW, Marty Lurie now has WORLD SERIOUS and ROUNDING THIRD. We shall see.) Plus, I need to knock some common sense into me head: it’s fecking SUPERBOWL time, Pawlie!

• blade3colorado said, on January 22, 2013 at 8:24 pm

Wow! That’s fantastic Paul! You mentioned that Baer also has a copy (Hmm. Based upon the Kevin Bacon theorem of seven degrees, he knows Flappers, my aunt, and me now.). :-)

10. James said, on January 22, 2013 at 11:03 pm

This may be old news, but all I can say is “Thank God!” we are in the hunt for a real closer again:

• chipower9 said, on January 23, 2013 at 7:50 am

I remember seeing the initial discussion on this last week (I think), and then it all fell off the radar. Now that I read that the discussion was put on hold while dealing with arbitration, it all makes sense. Will be interesting to see if it all pans out.

11. Alleykat said, on January 23, 2013 at 7:34 am

Could be another shrewd move by Bobby Evans going after Brandon Lyon.Has Closer experience,can still use him in different roles with some closing with Romo and Casilla at. times.Yes Closer by Committie could still be back.
    Besides we are also trying to corner the.market on “Brandon’s” and their working out OK.

• chipower9 said, on January 23, 2013 at 8:08 am

Cornering the market on Brandons…I like it. Brandon Lyon…come on DOWN!

And I agree that we very well may see some closer by committe in 2013.

12. twinfan1 said, on January 23, 2013 at 8:50 am

I can’t imagine that Bochy would go to closer by commitee unless he was forced to, as last year. And the committee was already being disbanded by years end, it became Romo’s job. The fact that Lyon has closing experience is hardly proof that they’re pursuing him for that role.,
    Right now the pens stacks up with, Kontos, Mijares, Affeldt, Lopez, Casilla, Romo. With Romo’s success and the bucks that they threw at Casilla, Lyon would most likely be the 7th inning, as Santiago was when Wilson was closer, and Sergio and one of the loogies set up.
    I sure as hell hope I’m right that Lyon would be penciled in to that 7th inning spot initially. His signing would just fill in one questionable spot and make this an even better pen.

13. blade3colorado said, on January 23, 2013 at 11:06 am

New post on my blog :-)

14. sarge said, on January 23, 2013 at 11:54 am

Hey Flappers, decided to jump back into the madhouse. Hope the off season has been entertaining for you all. I remember Flavor calling Matty’s no-no, and I remember he called something else that week, too. I have to say I was pretty impressed

• Flavor said, on January 23, 2013 at 12:04 pm

Belt’s first bomb of the season! Thanks for bring that up. I am too modest to do it myself :)

• Bozo said, on January 23, 2013 at 1:35 pm

Like I said on my 5:04 AM post – I seem to recall you were in a prognosticator’s wet dream of a zone.

15. eddacker said, on January 23, 2013 at 12:13 pm

over here, and maybe there, too, ESPN “Viewer’s Choice” is showing Matt’s perfect game in its entirety.
    check your schedules and remote record if you are otherwise busy

16. twinfan1 said, on January 23, 2013 at 1:02 pm

I have no doubt that Craig’s call of Matt’s no-hitter deserves far more credit than it’s received.
    It’s the greatest sports prediction in the history of the Flap,even greater than my call that Pablo would swing at several bad pitches in 2012…
    But the greatest ever, sporrtwise, might be Mike Blowers , Seattle radio announcer when he made “The Call of the Year” in 2009.. He made his call before the game started… Rookie infielder Matt Tuiasosopo would hit his first Major League home run against Toronto. That’s pretty good, but what is really weird is that he gets very specific and goes on to predict that that Tuiasosop would hit the homer in his second at bat of the game. On a 3-1 pitch. Off a fastball, into the second deck.

• Flavor said, on January 23, 2013 at 3:34 pm

well, he swung and missed on it hitting the second deck. Kidding. That’s crazy amazing.

17. Alleykat said, on January 23, 2013 at 1:19 pm

Hear’s the latest for the money grabbing NFL:
    Frank Gore was fined 10,500 for get this,wearing his socks to low in the NFC Chamionship game.
    What a joke,surprised that didnt add a fine on top of that when he interviewed after the game in his shorts.

18. Flavor said, on January 23, 2013 at 4:32 pm

I still can’t get over that Mariner’s announcer who predicted in such great detail that bomb from Tui’. I went back and checked the archives to see how detailed I was–surprised to see that I had predicted the Belt bomb the in the thread the day before.

Belt Blasts Off! (thanks to Big Flavor)

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on June 13, 2012 Edit This
    Sorry it took me so long to get around to sending Belt some of my special mojo. Last night’s call conjured up my *A’s 6 Giants 0* prediction from 2008……

Hopefully that bomb is enough to bump him into 3rd place in the all star voting. Hit 2 or 3 of those bad boys and he’ll relegate Votto to the bench.

Since I’m hot right now, I’ll say Cain pitches a no hitter tonight. Why not?

Today is post 768 for those of you keeping score at home.

Ok, gotta bounce………

253 comments

And somewhere, don’t forget, I also predicted Melky would win the All Star game MVP and I think I predicted it like a month before the game.

Ok, horn properly tooted. Too bad I didn’t make a single dollar off any of those 3 predictions………

• blade3colorado said, on January 23, 2013 at 7:45 pm

I am. Unbelievable achievement Flav (which I am finding out due to my own efforts at blogging).

19. unca_chuck said, on January 23, 2013 at 4:42 pm

What would the odds be for a predicting a perfect game (or even a no-hitter?) on any given night? 5,000 to 1? More?

Coulda banked some serious coin . . .

20. snarkk said, on January 23, 2013 at 4:59 pm

Anybody predict Melky was on the juice, and had a fake website to help cover it up if he got popped? Prove you predicted that, and I’ll subscribe to your Doomsday Marketwatch newsletter…

21. unca_chuck said, on January 23, 2013 at 5:37 pm

I think you can ‘predict’ about 30% of the players in the game are on the juice.

22. PawlieKokonuts said, on January 23, 2013 at 6:42 pm

Twin,just got to your Roberto Clemente posts from yesterday. Good points, stated eloquently. Thank you.

• twinfan1 said, on January 23, 2013 at 7:35 pm

Thank *you*, Paul… maybe a good thread would be who our sports heroes are- performance doesn’t have to be a main factor- just the whole- the man or woman as a performer, their character as we know of it, whatever it is that makes him/her a person to be admired, a person in sports who you would hold up to a child as one to be a role model. I don’t think that sports figures have an obligation to be a role model- but some fit the bill, IMO.
      Clemente, Ali, Arthur Ashe, Manute Bol, and Casey Martin are the first who come to mind for me.

• Flavor said, on January 23, 2013 at 7:41 pm

it’s a fantastic thread idea/ You can write it or I’ll do it. Pawlie could do it. Tag it and bag it. Get er done. If one of you don’t want to do it, that’s cool, I’ll knock it out of the park for ya. :)

• twinfan1 said, on January 23, 2013 at 7:42 pm

Go for it.

• Flavor said, on January 23, 2013 at 7:44 pm

thanks.

23. Flavor said, on January 23, 2013 at 7:39 pm

Cubs signed Scott Hairston. Bummer, I woulda taken him in a reserve role. At least, I think I would have. He’s the right Hairston, right?

• twinfan1 said, on January 23, 2013 at 7:54 pm

Look, we paid Rowand 12 million to not play, seems to me Sabes should get all the Hairstons in a room with their agents and find out what it would take for all of them to retire. Because we can count on this: one of the fuckers is going to hit a HR in the 9th inning of the 7th game of some WS, someday, to beat us . The deal is-there’s only one of them, all but one are decoys, look alikes. Whoever the evil Hairston is will beat us in 2020, 2025, however long it takes, however old he is. Nothing matters to this person but to hurt us, hurt us bad, and hurt us often.

24. blade3colorado said, on January 23, 2013 at 7:48 pm

New post at my blog :-)

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 457 other followers