Life-Changing Contracts for the Young Players

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on January 27, 2013

I’ve only been halfway following the new contracts for the arbitration eligible guys. We’ve become numb to the hugeness of the money baseball generates and the 9 figure mega-deals that get signed by the biggest stars.

But for peripheral guys like Joaquin Arias and Gregor Blanco, the deals they get this year are life changing. Arias was barely hanging on to a return to the big leagues when he was signed by the Giants to a minor league deal in December of 2011. After he hit .400 in Fresno he got the call up and he never looked back. He recently avoided arbitration with the Giants and agreed to play for $925,000. That’s chump change to a guy like Albert Pujols who makes $156,000 per game. But Arias must have been thrilled to get that type of security. And that’s on top of the $377,000 world series share he earned in 2012.

Blanco was a little more accomplished than Arias but he still hadn’t been paid the major league minimum since 2009. He avoided arbitration this year and will play for $1,350,000 in 2013. I haven’t followed what he’s doing this off season. He probably still went down to the Venezuelan Winter Baseball League to defend his MVP from last year. If he did go play, I bet he’s feeling a lot more content and secure this year as opposed to last year.

Here are their salary histories according to baseball-reference.com

Arias: arias

Blanco: blanco

And maybe I’ve been clueless about this feature at that site, but you can now convert their salaries into what they would be worth in different eras. Here’s what Blanco’s mlb deals would have looked like in 1900:

blanco1900

Romo had been fiddling around at the major league minimum until he made $1,575,000 in 2012. He hasn’t come to terms yet but he filed for $4.2 million, the Giants have countered at $2.8 (I think). He’ll make around $3.5 mil once they finally come to agree. Not a bad way to make a living……..

_______________________________________

For those of you who have read Pawlie’s most recent book “World Serious”, here’s a pic of my friend Jordana who we ran into outside the ballpark before the game:

jordana

_____________________________________________-

Most of you can probably tell who the “Days Till” pic is but if you can’t that’s Atlee Hammaker posing with 2 chicks in 1982.

About these ads

1. Bozo said, on January 27, 2013 at 8:16 am

My buddy up the street used to play HS ball with Atlee in Virginia. He asked me once if I wanted him to call Atlee up and I said no. I thought I might bring up the Oquendo home run.

2. willedav said, on January 27, 2013 at 10:09 am

according to wiki atlee went to east tennesse state (home of mister jennings) on a b-ball scholarship and then gave it up to focus on baseball. Has there ever been official word on the nature of the “mysterious virus” that caused him to miss like an entire year here? Hey, after a few years in the Royals system he comes over to SF, and then 4-5 yrs later….

3. Bozo said, on January 27, 2013 at 10:17 am

willie, I thought he had some shoulder problems, no?

• willedav said, on January 27, 2013 at 11:11 am

that was definitely part of it, but in below article salt’s post 1986 (when he missed entire year) uses the words “debilitating virus”….which was always undisclosed……hmmn…this isn’t a third world country, so i’m counting out smallpox or ebola…

4. Salty said, on January 27, 2013 at 10:29 am

A shame it didn’t turn out better.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on January 27, 2013 at 10:37 am

…but it’s a pretty decent story about a very decent guy. Thanks for that.

5. PawlieKokonuts said, on January 27, 2013 at 10:32 am

Jordana! I met her, sort of. I just let the two of you catch up on old times. It was crazy how you two met, right by the Orlando Cepeda statue.

Regarding Atlee Hammaker, one of the great names in baseball, I always blamed his downturn on Whitey Herzog, who kept him in the All-Star Game as he got mercilessly shelled. It was as if the White Rat figured, “Take one for the team. Take one for the whole league while you’re at it, Atlee, ma boy. Plus, I’ll mess your arm up and we won’t have to worry about the Giants.”

Finally, I hope the Giants sign Ryan Theriot to something, anything, but I’m not sure there’s even a spot for him.

We will NEVER forget his scoring the winning run in the WS. So iconic! If he had done that for the Yankees or Mets, they’d be showing it right now at Times Square. If it was for the Red Sox, it’d be on billboards throughout New England. It is classic.

6. willedav said, on January 27, 2013 at 11:30 am

Yahoo sports says mlb has now outlawed the fake throw to 3b/throw to 1b pickoff move. annoying as he often was, I always agreed with joe morgan that it should have been illegal anyway and called a balk under the rules.

• twinfan1 said, on January 27, 2013 at 12:24 pm

This is why I really don’t like Zeke watching baseball. He’s never falling for the fake stick toss again. Sports can affect our daily lives in so many many ways..

• snarkk said, on January 27, 2013 at 12:27 pm

I didn’t see anything wrong with it. It worked once in a blue moon. Just another idiosyncratic thing that made baseball what it is, and they’re taking it away, IMO…

7. twinfan1 said, on January 27, 2013 at 12:09 pm

The gap wasn’t as big as now, but the guys still had it pretty good in 1900. A carpenter worked a 48 hour week at 37 cents an hour. A schoolteacher made a little over 300 bucks a year…of course, Gregor and Jouaquin would have been very unlikely to play here at the turn of the 20th century. Latinos did play in the bigs, a very very few- there’s some debate on when and who the pioneeer was- most seem to think that it was Columbian Luis “Jud” Castro in 1902. He played several years in the minors before and after his 1902 season with Philly.After baseball, he fell on hard times, and eventually passed away on September 24, 1941. Louis Castro died at Manhattan State Hospital, a psychiatric facility on Wards Island, at the age of 64. He was buried at Mount St. Mary’s Cemetery in Flushing, Queens.
    jud

Famous First Foreign Born Baseball Players:

8. blade3colorado said, on January 27, 2013 at 2:27 pm

I love your post Flav! Absolutely agree that the deals that Arias and Blanco received are “life changing.” I couldn’t be happier for both of them.

9. Flavor said, on January 27, 2013 at 4:22 pm

In 1900, players were paid a flat fee of $2400 per year. I was actually surprised by the number, I thought it would be less

• Michael said, on January 27, 2013 at 5:45 pm

Interesting read about early contract battles “The Fight over Napolean Lajoie”. Nap tried to jump from the Phils after the 1900 season when he found out that his roomie, Ed Delahanty was getting 600 bucks over the $ 2400 cap under the table, 400 more than Nap was getting. Lajoie demanded the 400, the Phillies refused and the battle was on…

10. Bozo said, on January 27, 2013 at 6:26 pm

By the way Flav, your friend Jordana is a good looking Giants fan.

• Flavor said, on January 27, 2013 at 8:09 pm

gamer babe for sure. We went to high school together, she’s 2 years younger than me. She married her high school sweetheart, how often does that ever work?
      They’re both happily married with 2 kids, all 4 are major Giants and Niner fans…..

11. dirtnrocksnomo said, on January 27, 2013 at 7:09 pm

$925,000? If I had that kinda a dough why I would buy a……….townhouse in Mountain View.

12. salty said, on January 27, 2013 at 7:44 pm

Terrific read!

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 496 other followers