The D-Backs Got Nothing for Justin Upton and Trevor Bauer

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on January 27, 2013

I’m not really following why the D-backs are ditching their best young talent. They seem to have gotten very little in return.

I’m a little biased on Bauer, in 2011 I watched him strike out 17 Cardinal at Sunken Diamond. He was electric and dominant and I posted the next day about this future superstar. Then the D-backs drafted him with the third pick in the first round of the 2011 draft and I literally shat myself. He blew through the minors with a 13-4 record and 200 k’s in 156 innings. I know a couple a cats in Reno who watched him pitch for the Aces and said he was the next “Lincecum”.

Then he gets called up in late June (I bought him or picked him up in all four of my fantasy leagues) and he pitched in four games, sucking in three of them, before he was sent back down to AAA. I watched him on tv pitch the July 3rd game v the Pads and to me it was clear he wasn’t finishing any of his pitches. He clearly had some type of injury. And there were reports that he’s an ass and rubbed his teammates and coaches the wrong way. Not surprising for a kid from southern california.

Justin Upton had a poor 2012. It was sour news for me in one league, I drafted him with the 7th pick in the first round in one of my leagues. I thought he was going to win the MVP. He had a terrible year, he went 31 bombs and 21 steals in ’11 to 17 bombs and 18 steals in 2012. As was Bauer, he was labeled a *problem* in the clubhouse.

But Upton had a thumb injury last year and anything in the hand can fuck your year if it’s bad enough. Plus, it was clear that Gibson didn’t like him and if he had a bad attitude it probably got a lot worse as his shitty season carried on with Gibson glaring at him from the dugout…….

But either one of these guys could turn into a superstar in the coming years and I wouldn’t bat an eye. They’re both destined for it, whether they get there or not is up to the future.

Here’s what the D-backs got in return:

Tony Sipp–here’s what Shandler has to say about him: “2009-11 ERA’s were all propped up by favorable S% . when they finally reverted, his world came crashing down. DOM remains good despite decline, but CTl needs to improve before he has plus value. His best role is LOOGY”

Lars Anderson– big ‘ol 25 year old first baseman out of Oakland who’s done little in the minors and nothing at the big league level.

Didi Gregorious–  22 year old SS from the Netherlands who’s been fiddling around in the minors since 2008. His name will be his greatest legacy.

Martin Prado— Love him. I’ve owned him twice, he’s legit and can plan many positions and he’ll produce a .300ish ba with 14-15 hr’s and maybe as many stolen bases.

They got three other prospects that I don’t have time to highlight. None of them are overwhelming.

Put it this way: Had they traded Upton and Bauer in 2011 they would have gotten the world for them. By trading them now, they got a fraction of that. It’s all good for us but I truly have no idea what Arizona with all of this………

About these ads

1. dirtnrocksnomo said, on January 27, 2013 at 7:24 pm

Except for Prado I am going to assume you made those names up. :)

2. zumiee said, on January 27, 2013 at 7:45 pm

According to the MLB network, it’s all about the D-Backs trying upgrade team attitude and chemistry.
    Still gotta have good players, though….

3. twinfan1 said, on January 27, 2013 at 7:45 pm

Interesting that Bauer was supposed to be the guy to maybe lead the way out of the pitch count era- in 2011 the highest pitch count in MLB was Timmy’s 133. Bauer, a long toss fanatic, equalled or topped that eight times in 2011,and 6 times in a row, in college that year…
    The kid isn’t lacking for chutzpah- he shook off catcher Miguel Montero on his very first pitch in the big leagues…As Bud Shaw of the Cleveland Plain Dealer said, Bauer is the most exciting piece of the trade for the Indians-and the scariest…

• Flavor said, on January 27, 2013 at 7:52 pm

Hey, maybe the guy is a total ass and the D-backs are getting rid of a huge problem that’s never going to reach realized potential.
      But I’ve watched many, many games at Sunken Diamond since I was a teenager. And that was the most dominant college pitching performance I’ve ever seen in person.

• twinfan1 said, on January 27, 2013 at 8:34 pm

I wasn’t making a judgement. His attitude and the workload/pitch count questions preceded him to the bigs. But, as you know, he was still considered an A-1 prospect..

• Flavor said, on January 27, 2013 at 8:42 pm

I know what you meant. And I’m happy as shit that he’s been traded out of the NL. He might not blossom into what I think he’s going to be but I guarantee you this: Edgar Prado isn’t gonna put the D-backs over the top next year. And I like him, a lot.

4. Salty said, on January 27, 2013 at 8:55 pm

Edgar? You been playing the ponies? :)

• twinfan1 said, on January 27, 2013 at 9:03 pm

He has a string of poloponies, you know..

• Flavor said, on January 27, 2013 at 9:24 pm

Ha! Of course. They’re always on my brain

5. twinfan1 said, on January 27, 2013 at 9:02 pm

The trade hardly seems like one to help them win next year-or any other year. Your evaluation of the trade is reasonable- Martin Prado is a *good* player, the prospects are nothing to write home about, Sipp should be an OK loogie. Big whoop.

6. snarkk said, on January 28, 2013 at 12:22 am

Giants shouldn’t be crying poor over the next decade…

7. blade3colorado said, on January 28, 2013 at 1:27 am

I know Pawlie can appreciate this accomplishment, because he is always on a quest to discover and meet new Giants fans. Well, I am not nearly as conscious as Pawlie about locating them outside the SF bay area, but I found one too – In New Zealand no less, on a hiking trail (ironic – because I found one on a Costa Rica hike last year too). She is Korean and cute . . . Feel free to visit my new blog post:

8. Bozo said, on January 28, 2013 at 7:24 am

I think the mortgage on the ballpark is supposed to be paid off in 4 years. Which means the owners will get 100% of the revenues after operating costs and the low property tax. That coupled with the project snarkk mentioned, will leave the ownership group with many additional dollars in their pockets in the future.

9. unca_chuck said, on January 28, 2013 at 8:23 am

I think AZ is trying the Billy Beane model of trading all their good/pricey players and hoping for the best.

• Salty said, on January 28, 2013 at 9:41 am

I read they are close friends. They do like doing deals lately. Stephan Drew and Trevor Cahill deals last yr, now he Chris Young Pennnington swap.

10. willedav said, on January 28, 2013 at 8:44 am

It will be interesting to see what happens in AZ. The GM has made a few curious deals/decisions in last couple years on position players and the pitching staff. Manager of the Year Gibson had his team win the division when SF was injured, but wasn’t much of a factor last year even with SD and rox as bottom feeders.
    If the Bax are fighting uphill to be .500 my guess is gibson isn’t going to be any easier to play for. Beating out SF and LA is going to be tough….if he can’t stay ahead of the pads he could be toast.

11. twinfan1 said, on January 28, 2013 at 9:17 am

The ownership hasn’t cried poor, they have a budget, and spend appropriately. They like being rich. But they put an appropriate percentage of their revenues into payroll. For example, revenues in 2011 were 230 million and opening day payroll for 2012 was 117 million. They Yankee’s 2011 revenues were 427 milion, 197 million went into 2012 payroll.
    “I’m just sayin”…. the Giant’s ownership group is rich- and smart-and successful.

• snarkk said, on January 28, 2013 at 9:43 am

Baer and Sabes cry budget all the time when with the media, which is crying poor. We don’t need to hear it anymore. It’s a method of keeping expectations down, and it’s easy to see through. They are a big revenue team, and they have been since ATT opened. They squirreled away money early in the park’s tenure when Bond’s was the whale surrounded by guppies other than Kent. Now that they’ve got titles, they need to act like the Big Boys that they are, and spend accordingly without the constant PR “budget” noise. That doesn’t mean spend stupidly like LA, but it does mean keep the BS to a minimum about money issues. We get how they operate. Constantly reminding the fans about a budget is condescending at this point…

• twinfan1 said, on January 28, 2013 at 10:01 am

Crying poor is crying poor,crying budget is making sense.FACT is, they consistently put a goodly percentage of revenues into payroll. They do spend like ‘Big Boys” based on revenue. They were 7th in 2011 revenue, 8th in 2012 opening day payroll. They put a higher percentage of 2011 revenues into payroll than the Yankees.
        Anyway- keep cryin’ ,Sabes-it’s working..

• chipower9 said, on January 28, 2013 at 2:12 pm

I think when you consider revenue for the team vs. payroll, the Giants are doing a good job. Sure, I (and really all the fans) would like to see them kick payroll up by 15 to 20 mil or so, and get a star OFer, but you really cannot argue with the recent success.

12. xoot said, on January 28, 2013 at 10:28 am

Last time I heard Baer talk about the “mortgage” on the radio, he said they intended to refinance–extend the term and reduce the payments. They’re making lots of money, and they’re spending lots of money. And they sure don’t seem to be interested in paying the luxury tax.

The luxury tax is sort of interesting. In 2015, the dodgers will have to pay to the mlb front office the equivalent of 42.5% of the amount their payroll exceeds $189MM. Their 2013 payroll is about $215MM. Meanwhile, the Yankees are scrambling to get under the tax threshold for one year, so that the escalating payments start over again for them, from the first 20% step. It’ll be interesting to see if the dodgers run from the tax, too.

• Bozo said, on January 28, 2013 at 11:17 am

Last I heard, Baer said the stadium would be paid off in 2017. But refinancing probably makes sense, so that’s probably newer info that you have, xoot.

” In 2015, the dodgers will have to pay to the mlb front office the equivalent of 42.5% of the amount their payroll exceeds $189MM.” . I’ve also read that in 2016 the top major market teams wouldn’t receive a cut of the revenue sharing plan like they do now. Currently every team in the majors pays in 31% of their net local revenue, and then that money is divided up and equally distributed to every team. So that will make a difference as well.

• xoot said, on January 28, 2013 at 12:12 pm

the most recent CBA is even more complicated than that. The revenue-sharing provisions take up 20 single-spaced pages, describing all sorts of phased-out payments offset partially by new refunds, etc., etc. Two things I noticed while scanning just now–the luxury tax (the “Competitive Balance Tax”) is set to vanish after 2016. Also, although I think the AAA’s have special access to revenue sharing until they get a new ballpark, once they have a new park they automatically get treated like a top-tier revenuer. (As I say, I need to re-read that crap to be sure that’s right.) Maybe those complications help explain why Wolff/Fisher are in such an ambivalent “hurry” to build their new park in San Jose. What if it’s a bust or, at best, a modest success? If they also have to pay the Giants big $$$ for the territorial rights, their newly established mlb obligations may drain away what profit is left. Well, this is enough about money for a while. Researching this stuff instead of baseball itself is like finding nothing but ice cubes left in a drink. What’s that count again? 2 weeks and 2 days?

• Bozo said, on January 28, 2013 at 1:14 pm

My hats off to ya xoot. Thanks for checking it out. Now back to baseball and full drinks.
        Cheers man.

13. twinfan1 said, on January 28, 2013 at 10:34 am

It’s really hard to imagine having something to kvetch about right now. Maybe if they’d spent more money last year the skinflints might have won a World Series…

• xoot said, on January 28, 2013 at 10:52 am

If they’d spent enough, maybe they could’ve swept it, too.

• Chico said, on January 28, 2013 at 12:15 pm

Ha!

• twinfan1 said, on January 28, 2013 at 4:16 pm

Shit, took ‘em 4 games to sweep..Now I know I showed this before, but nothing better demonstrates how easy it was

14. Bozo said, on January 28, 2013 at 5:10 pm

Wait, are you saying that Pablo hit three home runs in a World Series game AND the Giants swept the Tigers?
    God fucking damn, I miss all the good stuff.

15. twinfan1 said, on January 28, 2013 at 5:42 pm

And man, did you catch Baer at the games? Crying poor!

• Bozo said, on January 28, 2013 at 6:14 pm

I don’t get your point. Maybe another video of the Honeymooners would help or maybe Roy Orbison and friends with an inebriated Tom Waits singing crying. Or perhaps you could load a chalkboard on here to make your point, because I’m not getting it. Although, I might be the only one that doesn’t understand so maybe a chalkboard would be a bit tooooooo much. How about an Etch A Sketch?

• twinfan1 said, on January 28, 2013 at 8:08 pm

what’s is *your* point, Bozo? I just don’t see why the kvetching about this so-called crying poor by management.
        And how could you possibly have a problem with the “Polo Ponies” video? Wow, These are all totally non-offensive and, yeah- humorous. I have no idea what your problem is with me-again,. it ain’t on me I can tell you that.

• twinfan1 said, on January 28, 2013 at 8:26 pm

See, Salty asked “Edgar?” (Craig had originally Prado “Edgar”. He wondered if Flavor had been playing the ponies. For some reason it reminded me of a great Honeymooners epispode. So I said “He has a string of poloponies, you know..”
        And I provided the very funny clip… Bozo- I’ve been making very informative, interesting,funny, posts- some of the best I’ve made in a long time. Insult somebody else-you’re either snockered or taking a personal problem out on me.

16. salty said, on January 28, 2013 at 6:17 pm

Damn Warriors get Bogut back!

17. PawlieKokonuts said, on January 28, 2013 at 6:27 pm

Yup. Rooting for Didi Gregorius just for the name. By the way, best thing to do on a frigid Saturday night? Watch Game 1 of the World Series. Somehow the Blu-Ray worked. It was a treat listening to the KNBR crew. I like that audio option.

• Flavor said, on January 28, 2013 at 6:54 pm

That’s cool Pawlie. Personally I’ve never been able to watch games I know the outcome of. I can watch snippets and highlights all day long. But I don’t think I’ve ever watched a full game after I’ve seen it.

18. Flavor said, on January 28, 2013 at 6:52 pm

Bogut goes 12/8/2 in 25 minutes? Me Likey. Now, lets pray those minutes didn’t knock him out for another couple of months….

19. blade3colorado said, on January 28, 2013 at 7:03 pm

Prado was lights out for me in the Flap league. A big money player to have in fantasy due to his position flexibility. Love him!

20. unca_chuck said, on January 28, 2013 at 7:12 pm

I can do that with football, speeding thru the huddles,commercials and half time of course. You can watch a full game in about 35 minutes. Baseball games? No, but I do watch the beginning and the end of Cain’s perfecto from time to time. I used to have a vast supply of old 49er games on VCR but they all disintegrated. Sadly, I know the feeling . . .

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 497 other followers