The World Baseball Classic

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on January 30, 2013

I know painfully little about this thing. I know it’s happening this March and I know the final games are going to be played at ATT. It takes up the first two weeks of March so it doesn’t look like the US players will be getting much spring training time with their mlb teams— and I bet that’s just fine with them. They probably will appreciate the break from the normal spring monotony of drills and tune ups. Here’s the US roster:

wbc

It’s a decent enough team. Despite the presence of Willie Bloomquist, I think we can take down Japan for once (they have won the first two *Classics*). Maybe Voggy gets to pitch in the finals at ATT? That would be cool.

So do any of you care about this competition? I guess it’s kinda like the Olympics, you don’t start caring about it till it’s happening and you’d feel un-American if you didn’t cheer for the USA team. I’m optimistic that it will be a pretty cool thing to watch, at least the finals if we make it that far…….

The winner is crowned “World Champion” and in some ways, isn’t that team a little more of a *world* champion than our Giants are?

About these ads

1. eddacker said, on January 30, 2013 at 6:45 am

I watched the preliminaries in Oct-Nov. One of the interesting match ups that never happened was Germany v Israel. Germany, Australia and Canada have decent teams. There will be qualifying matches during Feb & Mar at locations around the states. I know FLA has some games. Then the “regional” winners will play it out at ATT.
    I think they use wooden bats and there is a “mercy” rule to end games early. Substitutions are a bit more generous and it is all a bit like college ball. The UK team is there but not expected to make the finals.

2. eddacker said, on January 30, 2013 at 6:52 am

all the gory details are here: WBC 2013
    including the information that Pujols will be playing for the DR. A lot of teams that qualified will be stronger now because they could not use their MLB players then but will be using them now.

3. willedav said, on January 30, 2013 at 7:47 am

Rivalry games among the latin countries should be interesting along with Japan vs. Taiwan, and it’s always nice to see a game, but otherwise…..
    It’s cool to see the countdown and it will be fun when baseball is actually happening, but honest, I just can’t get into ST. To be there would be great fun; my godson who lives in SD (and has turned his back on Giants, team he grew up with here) wants to go next year for a few days.

• Flavor said, on January 30, 2013 at 7:54 am

with the Niners in the SB I’m having trouble caring about the P/C’s reporting. But I should easily turn my attention to it once we dispose of the Ravens……

4. Bozo said, on January 30, 2013 at 8:24 am

It looks like the US has a pretty good team. I’ve never watched a WBC game or followed it at all. I’m not sure why, but I don’t see that changing this year.

5. unca_chuck said, on January 30, 2013 at 9:03 am

It’s like an exhibition tourney. I doubt I see any of it.

• eddacker said, on January 30, 2013 at 9:19 am

It is a tourney of baseball NOT in the USA, where we were all raised on THE game. It is a great exhibition of getting this game some notice by players not named Bill Smith, Babe Ruth or Roberto.
      It is NOT the MLB, whatis? But it sure as hell is world wide teams that love the game.

Remember football, to the world, isn’t played with pads.

6. eddacker said, on January 30, 2013 at 9:14 am

I love hearing about re-watches of Cain’s perfecto
    Cabrera, Arias, Theriot. how things change.
    Is it a real complete game when it is against the Houstons?

7. salty said, on January 30, 2013 at 9:25 am

Took me awhile to get into 49ers -probably around the time Kaepernick took over-now it may take a little longer to get revved up about baseball. Them winning a 2nd WS and watching some 170 games last yr might dull the normal spring excitement a bit, although I did enjoy some highlights comcast showed last night of the NLCS and WS.

8. eddacker said, on January 30, 2013 at 9:44 am

SEE?
    This is the third time (at least) that I have watch the perfecto and I have forgotten (again) about Belt’s great game and the big score against (opps, everyone scores against them) the Houstons.

and it is only the third inning with Krukow off

9. xoot said, on January 30, 2013 at 9:52 am

Nate Silver has crunched the numbers and, apparently, concluded the 9ers are superior on offense and defense, the Ravens on special teams. Akers may be a corrosive factor in that final equation, I don’t know. I’m sure Lee isn’t. Anyway, unless the game pivots on special-team play, Silver seems to be going with the 9ers. Meanwhile, the merc reports that Joe Montana has picked the 9ers to win. Now there’s one to take to the bank.

On the WBC–I’ll bet that overall player discipline in the tournament is better than at ST. The fan enthusiasm grows every year in southern AZ, especially for the champs. Great deal of distraction. So you’d think, from the WBC cities, there’ll be fewer 2 am tweets about the last-call choice of babes in the bar, etc. May be a good thing for some players.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on January 30, 2013 at 12:12 pm

I remember Walsh saying once that the better team on paper is going to win the SB 9 times out of 10. SF is the better team. I expect them to win handily.

10. eddacker said, on January 30, 2013 at 9:52 am

Every time I watch this I forgot how many runs we scored.

11. salty said, on January 30, 2013 at 10:14 am

I believe Nate also picked Seattle and New England for the SB

• Salty said, on January 30, 2013 at 10:19 am

But I do think the 49er’s win rather easily.

• xoot said, on January 30, 2013 at 10:34 am

That was before all the data was in. That’s like calling a prez election before the republicans have shot themselves in the mitt. In any event, I’m not a big Nate fan. Joe Montana, however, now there’s a frickin pundit.

• Salty said, on January 30, 2013 at 11:00 am

I have no prob with Nate. He picked the truly BIG one correctly.

• snarkk said, on January 30, 2013 at 11:58 am

Not only did he pick it, he almost picked the exact final percentage election split, and electoral college split…

12. Alleykat said, on January 30, 2013 at 10:26 am

Im not to keen on the WBC.The players start way before ST.It’s the pitchers.who I fear getting hurt the most.Airing it out to soon,with not enough preperation and time ST allows to get ready just to make a good impression for USA.
    Just thankful as im sure Sabean and Bochy are that Buster declined.

13. twinfan1 said, on January 30, 2013 at 10:29 am

Super Bowl record for the team that scores first 29-16
    Winning percent of the favored team by oddsmakers 73 %
    Cases of beer sold on Super Bowl Sunday 49.2 Million
    Chicken wings sold on Super Bowl week 125 Million
    Pounds of avacados used for guacamole during Super Bowl 71 Million
    Rise in 7-Eleven’s antacid sales the day after 20 %

Biggest concern in the Bay Area could be the controversial “super flush effect” – the possibilty of the water system failing due to drunken, bloated couch potatoes simultaneously flushing during commercial breaks. Officials claim it’s never happened, during a Super Bowl, but it’s been long time for us- I suspect many here might be fasting to prepare for a binge on the Big Day.
    The closest brush with catastrophe came at the end of the much-touted last episode of M*A*S*H, which aired in 1983. People in New York City were apparently glued to their seats during the entire two-and-a-half-hour show and then all headed off to the pissoir at once. The resultant pressure drop caused a pronounced surge in the two huge tunnels that bring water into New York each day from the Catskills.
    So do your part- these are available at many locaal pharmacies, and so you can continue pigging out while peeing!!

pee

• chipower9 said, on January 30, 2013 at 12:06 pm

lqtm…uh, yeah…I’m gonna “rush right out” and get one…

14. chipower9 said, on January 30, 2013 at 11:01 am

I have mild interest in the WBC (mainly just because I love baseball), and if there is a game on and I don’t have anything going on, I may watch it…especially if the Americans go deep. I love Spring Training, and my daughter and I try to go every year…it is just one of our personal things that the two of us share (I did raise her right…she is a die-hard follower of the Orange and Black). On years that I did not go, I certainly had less interest, but when there was a game scheduled for the radio, I always tried to check it out (hey, ST or not…I love baseball on the radio).

What a great time to be a fan of sports in the Bay Area. Our Giants won TWO World Series titles over the past three years (I was starting to wonder if I would EVER see ONE in my lifetime). The Niners are back in the Super Bowl and will go for their Sixth Lombardi Trophy (I like their chances and think they will win). The Warriors are having their best season is a loooooong time (they won last night without Curry, Barnes, and Bogut), and the Sharks tied the score last night late in the game, and then won in a shootout to make it a 6-0 start to the season. LOVING IT!

• Alleykat said, on January 30, 2013 at 11:12 am

Yeah it’s a great time for the Bay Area Chi..
      Let’s throwin that Stanford win in the Rose Bowl as well.

• chipower9 said, on January 30, 2013 at 12:08 pm

Agree Kat…I completely forgot that one. While not a big Cardinal-backer like Flavor, I do appreciate all the Bay Area teams. I still think Stanford got jobbed in the Notre Dame game, and should have been the one playing for the National Championship (I also think Stanford would have been a better match and translated to a better game against Alabama).

15. snarkk said, on January 30, 2013 at 12:06 pm

I agree with your “World Champions” comment, BF.
    Long before this WBC even was an idea, I considered the “World” Series champ being called “World Champion” a typical bit of bluster and chutzpah by Americans oblivious to the rest of the world actually playing baseball, and the players/teams in S.America, the Carribean and Japan actually playing a pretty dang good brand of it. Our “World Series” winner should actually be called the North American champ. The Super Bowl winner being called “World Champion” is infinitely more laughable, since no real competition exists elsewhere on the globe. Small things, I suppose. But, having been abroad a bit in my life, I can assure that they are not unmissed by others in other countries that add these kinds of things to plenty of other reasons to deride our country for thinking our S doesn’t stink compared to the rest of the world…

• chipower9 said, on January 30, 2013 at 12:11 pm

Well, especially in the past twenty years (maybe more), there has been an influx of the best talent from the Central American and Caribbean nations (also Japan, etc.). So, to some degree you could say the best players in the world are representated in MLB. But I can see how it is tough to call it the “World Series.” Whatever…I love me some MLB and the Giants.

• Michael said, on January 30, 2013 at 2:34 pm

Haven’t had the pleasure of travel to the other side of the pond, but my wife and daughter can tell you that Californians are not considered Americans, we’re loved everywhere but in our own country ;-)

• unca_chuck said, on January 30, 2013 at 2:45 pm

Actually ‘world champions’ for football is apt.

Baseball? No.

16. dirtnrocksnomo said, on January 30, 2013 at 12:15 pm

I really like the concept of the WBC but the reality of it is it puts MLB players at risk. I’ll probably watch it between episodes of My Little Pony and Jake and The Neverland Pirates.

17. twinfan1 said, on January 30, 2013 at 3:24 pm

I think our winner would gladly take on all comers. Put your bucks on the “North American” champs. The Giants are the best team in the world, just as the Cards were in 2011. We may not thrash the Nippon *All-Stars*, but the Japan Series champion team is more on a par with the Grizzlies. We’re the World Champs.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on January 30, 2013 at 3:38 pm

That would be cool to see SF take on the WBC winner. By take on I mean sweep like whiny little tigers.

• Flavor said, on January 30, 2013 at 4:12 pm

I still can’t get over how fat and out of shape the Tiger’s players were. I mean, they had like a week off. Did it all fall apart in a week? lol

18. twinfan1 said, on January 30, 2013 at 5:14 pm

Haven’t looked at Chuck’s analysis of Sunday’s game, I’ll do mine on Page B a little later. I’ve already called my score…17-16 Niners.

19. unca_chuck said, on January 30, 2013 at 8:46 pm

31-20 Niners. Balt gets a late cheapie TD.

Niners wear Balt down.

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 499 other followers