Would the 2012 World Series Team Beat the 2013 USA WBC Team?

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on January 30, 2013

It’s an idea worth kicking around. Let’s compare the different factions of the teams. For the WBC, I’ll pick the player who I think is their best at each position. I’ll try to just compare their 2012 regular season’s except in certain cases where their 2012 playoff performances were just too dominant to ignore:

The Outfield:

SF Giants: Pence, Pa….Gone!, Blanco

WBC: Braun, Stanton and Adam Jones

Edge: WBC. Easily.

Third Base:

Giants: Sandoval

WBC: David Wright

Edge: Giants. One of the most dominant MVP World Series performances in history.

Short Stop:

Giants: Brandon Crawford

WBC: Jimmy Rollins

Edge: WBC. I love me some Crawford glove, but JR is still producing at a very high level and he’s simply a better overall player.

Second base:

Giants: Scutaro

WBC: Brandon Phillips

Edge: Giants. While Phillips has a more accomplished career and the better overall 2012 season, what Scoots did for us in the 2nd half and in the playoffs was legendary.

First Base:

Giants: Brandon Belt

WBC: Mark Teixeira

Edge: Giants. Just comparing their years, Belt didn’t have the stats to match Tex who had more bombs and RBI’s (24hr’s >7hrs and 84 rbi’s > 56 rbi’s). Belt did steal more bags (12>2) but came up a little shy in OPS (.807 > .771). Tex is a fantastic defensive player but I don’t think he’s better than Belt and I’ve watched both play many, many games. I’d still rather have Belt than Tex in this world series, Tex was hurt on and off all year and just looked done at the end of the season. Belt didn’t hit much in the playoffs but he was still the better player, in my opinion, at the end of 2012…….

Catcher:

Giants: Posey

WBC: Mauer

Edge: Giants. Hands down.

Starting Pitching (I’m going to give them Voggy just to give them a chance in this category):

Giants: Cain, Bumgarner, Zito

WBC: Voggy, Dickey, Medlen

Edge: Giants. Maybe a tie. nope, Giants, just for Zito’s huge, MAN-child pitching performances vs the Cardinals and the Tigers. 13 innings, 1 earned run. Epic. He’s one of my all time Giant’s hero’s for what he did to help bring us the trophy last year.

Pen:

Not gonna list off all of the players,

Edge: Giants. Blind call made easily.

Closer:

Giants: Romo

WBC: Kimbrel

Edge: WBC. Romo was fantastic but Kimbrel was incredible last year.

I think we’d likely win, especially if you factor in our secret weapon (Timmy) so brilliantly created and used by Bochy in the 2012 playoffs. But I’m open to a differing opinion….. :) :) :)

About these ads

1. twinfan1 said, on January 30, 2013 at 6:14 pm

Totally off topic- watched some of the Gun Control hearings today- could the NRA have a more odious looking creature to head their organization? Go on over to “B”, what do you think? This is a “No Reply” thread- you can state your opinion(s)- others may not respond to your opinion, just state theirs. It’s too polarizing an issue.

2. Bozo said, on January 30, 2013 at 7:29 pm

I agree, I think last years champion Giants could beat this years WBC USA team. I also believe that the 2012 champs could beat any country’s regular team, that includes Japan, Cuba and the top Dominican teams.
    I also think the Giants, Reds, Cards and Tigers having players from other countries does make us World Champs, or the best of the best.

• chipower9 said, on January 31, 2013 at 7:45 am

I said something to that effect yesterday, John. “…there has been an influx of the best talent from the Central American and Caribbean nations (also Japan, etc.). So, to some degree you could say the best players in the world are representated in MLB.” So I don’t have a problem with the championship being called the “World Series.”

3. paulinasia said, on January 30, 2013 at 8:29 pm

Yeah, my fellow foreigners over here from the UK, Oz, etc., all scoff at the name World Series, or World Champions, etc. But what do they know, they don’t play “our” game very well. I wish the mostly disputed theory that it’s called the World Series because of the sponsoring World newspaper was true, as that would make it easy to explain. But these days, with all of the foreign-born players playing in the MLB, I really have no problem with it. It’s a neat idea that the champion of “American” baseball would play the champs from Japan, Korea, or anywhere else they have their own league in a real ‘world’ series, except that those leagues would mostly truly be those countries’ players, whereas an MLB team would probably be half foreign-born, not Americans. Anyway, whatever…. all you Flappers focused on the Super Bowl, good on you, enjoy it, may SF win.. I’m really ready and looking forward to the Arizona air being filled with baseballs.

Michael, just checked out your “B” thread and added my 2 cents. Difficult topic, to be sure, but interesting to read others’ thoughts. Oh, and, as I’m about to teach my last class this afternoon before a nice two-week break for lunar new year, let me just wish you all a happy lunatic (er, sorry, lunar) new year…..

4. blade3colorado said, on January 30, 2013 at 10:23 pm

I’m down with your eval Flav. Giants would win going away . . .

5. Macdog said, on January 30, 2013 at 10:44 pm

No way I’m giving up Vogey. There’s plenty of quality U.S. pitchers that could fill his spot for this mythical Giants-WBC matchup. Like, say . . . Verlander!

6. zumiee said, on January 31, 2013 at 12:06 am

I’m not sure why the WBC exists, but I’m all for baseball on TV in March.

7. zumiee said, on January 31, 2013 at 12:13 am

Not to be a jerk….but I’m not thrilled about seeing camera shots of Jim Harbaugh with his kids this week. It brings back memories of Darren Baker during the 2002 World Series. I like to think that the Super Bowl coach is working 24/7 this week; but I guess that’s an illusion. (grin)

8. eddacker said, on January 31, 2013 at 1:11 am

when action comes your way, be ready!
    the baseball classic, even if for one game, will remind us all how great the real thing is. FUCK the rest of the world: ” We have a game!”

9. eddacker said, on January 31, 2013 at 1:19 am

I am watching the ESPN Todd Marinovich story and his college friend was Junior Seau.
    too much too talented?

10. eddacker said, on January 31, 2013 at 1:20 am

the big problem was going to USC and not to the Cardinal!!!

11. eddacker said, on January 31, 2013 at 1:21 am

hey, Blade, you out there on the time shift?

12. eddacker said, on January 31, 2013 at 7:45 am

OK, other teams are ; visioning the seals: ‘beat the giants’
    hahahaha
    with the core players we have
    PEDs? lit us pray

13. chipower9 said, on January 31, 2013 at 7:51 am

I agree Flav…think the U.S. would beat the WBC team. And I’m with Zumie…I am down with baseball in March. If I am home and a game is on, I will probably watch.

Paul – I agree…can’t wait for baseball to be flying in that dry Arizona air! February 14th cannot come soon enough (when my daughter and I fly to Scottsdale).

• twinfan1 said, on January 31, 2013 at 9:07 am

Even a loss to the WBC champ would not make the winner the “true” World Champ”.The WBC is comprised of *All-Star” teams- apples and oranges compared to real teams.

14. unca_chuck said, on January 31, 2013 at 7:52 am

Yikes. Just saw Pablo Sandoval in the Caribbean WS. He’s looking ~300 lb.

• Flavor said, on January 31, 2013 at 9:38 am

seriously? Where did you see that

• chipower9 said, on January 31, 2013 at 10:29 am

Picture? Let’s see it…

15. ewisco said, on January 31, 2013 at 8:38 am

A big factor would be “when” they played. At the end of last year the g’s were on a roll but they would have been drained by the WS. After ST they might be ready to roll again. But a lot of PS success comes from getting hot or getting healthy or just clicking at the right time. That’s why things like the WBC really don’t solve the bigger mystery. I still think MLB should have shut down for an extended all star break and let everyone play for their home country at the Atlanta Olympics. Perfect timing. No real travel involved. It would have been fucking epic!

16. twinfan1 said, on January 31, 2013 at 8:47 am

17. twinfan1 said, on January 31, 2013 at 8:51 am

Check it out-the Descuento doble comprobación !!!!

18. blade3colorado said, on January 31, 2013 at 11:00 am

New post on my blog . . . http://aroundtheworldwithblade.wordpress.com/

19. twinfan1 said, on January 31, 2013 at 12:03 pm

I think Culliver should be suspended by the team *now*..your thoughts? The idea is to go to the link below, Zeke’s place, to reply.

20. unca_chuck said, on January 31, 2013 at 12:41 pm

That’s a bit of an overreaction. Suspended for one’s opinion? I guess we need to vet all the players.These guys are football players, not congressmen. These guys are a microcosm of the real world. Nothing more, nothing less. You put any 50 people together and you’ll have a few racists, and few homophobes, a few conspiracy theorists, and a few whack-jobs. Football ain;t any different.

• twinfan1 said, on January 31, 2013 at 12:58 pm

He’s gone, Chuckie. What’s wrong is waiting until after the game. He’ll never play here again. Like it or not-book it. But it’s better to respond at Zeke’s Place-not here. Thank you.
      Here’s what’s relevant, though:
      “If there is no suspension, the message from the NFL to young people, amid continued reports of suicides by LGBT youth who experienced bullying, is that it’s OK for sports players and everyone else to attack gays and demand that they stay closeted and live in shame. If Culliver faces no repercussions, then the NFL’s words about support and acceptance of gay athletes and fans are completely empty.”

• unca_chuck said, on January 31, 2013 at 1:57 pm

He ain’t going anywhere.

• twinfan1 said, on January 31, 2013 at 2:35 pm

Gone. Inside info says he’s being traded to the Flaming Saddles of the NYGFL.

• chipower9 said, on January 31, 2013 at 2:36 pm

I don’t condone Culliver’s dumb-ass comments, but no way I see the team suspending him. I agree with Chuck…he isn’t going anywhere.

• twinfan1 said, on January 31, 2013 at 2:58 pm

Not before the game, unfortunately. He won’t be here next year. His lame apology won’t make this go away. It’s counter to everything the team has preached in reaching out to the LGBT community. As an *enlightened* writer noted
        “the 49ers suspended running back Brandon Jacobs just last month for making derogatory comments about his bosses. Are the team management saying that they take it seriously when they themselves are insulted, but not when closeted gay players and gay fans are subjected to bigoted, offensive remarks?”
        If he’s not gone, it’s an insult to the communitythat have been HUGE fans.

• unca_chuck said, on January 31, 2013 at 6:43 pm

Culliver’s the best cover corner on the team. He isn’t going. This will all blow over. Get it?

21. unca_chuck said, on January 31, 2013 at 12:45 pm

Culliver’s mistake was talking to Howard Stern’s lackey, Artie Lange.

22. unca_chuck said, on January 31, 2013 at 1:37 pm

You posted it here Mike. Don’t be such an asshole.

• twinfan1 said, on January 31, 2013 at 2:14 pm

I posted a link for replies. But fine- it’s a subject that needs to be addressed.Niners have made a big efffort to show support for the Gay and Lesbian community. He’s gone, Chuckie. Here’s the post:

Despite the lame, PR inspired apology (“a reflection of thoughts in my head”!!!!), Culliver should be suspended before the game. Looking at team comments, however, it’s almost a certainty that they’ll play him because they need him against the Raven’s talented receivers-and that his time here will be over when the game has ended.

Michelangelo Signorile, Editor-at-large, HuffPost Gay Voices said it very well:
      Culliver: “The derogatory comments I made yesterday were a reflection of thoughts in my head, but they are not how I feel,” he said. “Those discriminating feelings are truly not in my heart.”
      Signorile:
      “Really?
      Culliver’s PR rep, Theodore Palmer, issued an even more nonsensical statement: ‘Chris is very apologetic for any harm caused to anyone … He is one who celebrates the differences of others. All of this was just a big mistake. It was interpreted wrong.’
      So now we interpreted it all wrong — it’s our fault! — because these were just ‘reflections of thoughts’ in Culliver’s ‘head’ but not in his ‘heart,’ all just ‘a big mistake.’ I’ll say.
      This cannot stand. The 49ers and the NFL need to take action and send a strong message. John Aravosis at Americablog has pointed out that the 49ers suspended running back Brandon Jacobs just last month for making derogatory comments about his bosses. Are the team management saying that they take it seriously when they themselves are insulted, but not when closeted gay players and gay fans are subjected to bigoted, offensive remarks?

• Nipper said, on January 31, 2013 at 2:19 pm

Twin takes a stand!

• Nipper said, on January 31, 2013 at 2:20 pm

BLEEP!

23. twinfan1 said, on January 31, 2013 at 2:50 pm

Now Brooks and Sopoaga are trying to deny making the video. There are many closeted gays in the NFL, the crap like Culliver spouted just makes life even more miserable for good men who are suffering . It’s up to Jed to deliver a statement- this will not be tolerated.

• unca_chuck said, on January 31, 2013 at 4:09 pm

According to you. Yeah, there are gays who face intolerance. It happens everywhere. Being a football player, there’s an inherent machismo around it. Hyper-masculinity. How about baseball? Less tolerance there. I’d wager. The point being, the vast majority of Americans have no frame of reference regarding homosexuals. So they lash out. Yeah, some of those people ARE gay. But others just don’t know any better. It would be like throwing Ty Cobb off the ’25 Tigers because of his racism.

24. twinfan1 said, on January 31, 2013 at 4:37 pm

Chuckles-the conversation is over on this blog . Go to my blog to discuss it.

25. Flavor said, on January 31, 2013 at 4:38 pm

Well, we all thought Kyle Williams would be gone and he came back. They’re different situations, obviously.
    Culliver’s apology was a joke. No one could possibly believe that he wrote that.
    Culliver is hardly a center piece of the D. Of think that if the back lash was big enough it wouldn’t be the biggest stretch to see Jed jettison him in the off season.

26. willedav said, on January 31, 2013 at 6:06 pm

I’m sure pablo will not have fun in bochy’s ST, but whatever. As long as he can field his position, he can certainly do plenty enough damage at the plate. He’s always gonna be big, not exactly a news flash.
    Props to furd men’s b-ball last night for destroying previously undefeated Ducks. I know a lot of guys don’t like Dawkins, but his team came to play defense and rebound last night, and they hit some shots. He’s not Dean smith, but when his players do less stupid shit than usual, they’re OK—like most teams.
    What was truly annoying was having to listen to noseburger and walton. Nose introduced furd PG with his name backwards, as “Randle Chasson.” Walton is flat out ridiculous, and a caricature of himself, going on and on about attending Dead concerts at maples and frost while the game is going end to end. ESPN needs to do what Pearl Jam did to Rodman, and just turn off the sound on the.mic when they are on. Time to put these two out to pasture.

• Flavor said, on January 31, 2013 at 6:34 pm

I completely agree about Mus/Wal. I was listening to them and just going, :”Is this a joke?” Muisberger should do nothing but MC bikini mud wrestling competitions at this point in his career. And Walton, someone I’ve never been able to listen to, has somehow gotten more objectionable to listen to…….

• unca_chuck said, on January 31, 2013 at 6:39 pm

Well, there’s big and then there’s what Pablo’s at now. That’s a solid 280 at LEAST.

• willedav said, on January 31, 2013 at 6:52 pm

probably so, but if he hits his weight, then he’s all good right? whereas, for blanco that isn’t going to work.
        I’m sure bochy is going to read him the riot act, privately and publicly, and send him to play 9 innings in Yuma when it’s 110…plus cardio afterward. I don’t think this equals 2010 type performance, and replacing him with Arias or trying to find a replacement 3b isn’t viable option. I know people freak out about how big he gets, I just don’t. Bochy and the trainers will whip his butt into shape…and round is a shape, right?

• twinfan1 said, on January 31, 2013 at 11:35 pm

Chuckles,you seem pretty hip to what “fat fucks” weigh. I think I’ll have to bow to your obvious personal knowledge on this matter.

• unca_chuck said, on February 1, 2013 at 9:22 am

Well, you got self-righteous dumb fuck cornered.

27. Flavor said, on January 31, 2013 at 6:44 pm

I’m certainly not against discussing the Culliver-thing here, but Michael has written an entire thread for this over at his blog. Here’s the link:

I’m gonna head over there right now since there ain’t much baseball to kick around today……

28. unca_chuck said, on January 31, 2013 at 10:14 pm

Yer right about the wonderlich . . .

• twinfan1 said, on January 31, 2013 at 11:42 pm

Just think- add Culliver’s and Janokowski’s, and you’d have…..ZEKE!

29. blade3colorado said, on January 31, 2013 at 11:56 pm

Picture of water falls hike I did today on my blog (Coal Creek Falls). I hiked two other trails as well, but want to do a more detailed post later. Hope you all are well. :-)

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 501 other followers