Perspective

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on February 4, 2013

I’ve had many people tell me today that it’s just a game, get over it, etc. I see the point but I am not simply *moving on* from this. This was destructive to my soul—a Super Bowl that could not have been more winnable was lost for a bunch of dumb ass reasons. First and goal from the 6. This was a moment for Frank Gore. Or Kap to make a play instead of call that dumb audible. Or Joe’s ghost to appear as if from nowhere. None of that happened. And while a deserving team won, a team I respect, I can’t stop myself from being consumed with regret. I can’t remember ever feeling like this after a sporting event and YES I’m the guy who started a drive from Portland to San Francisco to kill Roger Craig. But I barely made it on the freeway that day. This one didn’t make me mad. It just made me sad………

I remember, as you all do, everything about the other 5. Where I watched them, what I ate, the color of my shirt. Back in ’81, The Chronicle had a contest where you guessed the exact number of passing yards that Joe Montana would have in the game. My buddy down the street had a paper route and he and I concocted a fellowship that involved me and him cutting out the entry forms from the Chron at 4am the morning the papers were delivered to his house. We were going to split the *winnings*–don’t recall what they were. We settled on a range that went from like 200 to 350 yards. Montana had 157 yards passing on that great day and the newspaper game loss meant nothing to me. I watched the game by myself, alone and sick as fuck, on my mom’s blue couch. It was one of the happiest times I can remember from my childhood.

This weekend I was in Reno with all my old college buddies who agreed to converge there on the evening we won the NFC Championship game 2 weeks ago. A bunch of texts flying around coupled with 6 drunk Niner fans who grew up in the eighties was enough to make it happen. As we placed our bets on Saturday and Sunday, there were SO MANY groups of guys in the sports book who were clearly doing the same thing. A bunch of middle aged men all decked out in their Niner jersey’s— Lott, Montana, Rice, etc. It wasn’t just a bunch of old friends reaquainting, it was a bunch of little friendship cells finding their collective long lost pride. Niner Pride. Knowing dude head nods were on full display and I probably fist-bumped 200 strangers this weekend……

My buddy Dave had a party that I attended until halftime when I decided it was clear I had to leave and go someplace else to change the karma and get us this win. Bummed to leave, it was a fun party, but a superstitious fan has to do what he’s gotta do. And I’m not superstitious by nature but I had to get the fuck out of there. I was tired of watching my language around the kids at the party, something I was only doing at about a 50% clip anyway. So I left, alone, and went down to the El Dorado to watch the game with strangers. Anyway, Dave has a chick who has a son and he had some friends over, too. They’re all around 12 years old. They were so excited for the game and I had to remind myself that they’ve never experienced a Super Bowl win. We told them some stories from our past about the five previous glorious wins. They were mesmerized and you could see how bad they wanted it, to feel the same way me and my old friends felt 30 years ago.

The house was dark when I got back to Dave’s so I didn’t get to witness the carnage at the end, the sadness on the faces of those kids. It was late and I decided to make some tacos to ease my pain. As I sat there eating, and they were fantastic, things didn’t start getting better. But I did find a ray of sunlight in the darkness that was Dave’s kitchen: I stopped to appreciate how thankful I am and always will be for those five Super Bowl wins. And when we win our 6th, I will celebrate like a 12 year old, just like it’s  our first………

About these ads

1. DJLoo said, on February 4, 2013 at 6:41 pm

Maybe this will help you, Flav. The only way I could deal with 2002 was to think of all the things I wouldn’t trade for a different outcome. You probably have 5,000 more of those than I did.
    *Philosophical Loo*

• Flavor said, on February 4, 2013 at 6:53 pm

I’d trade all of my posts for one of yours. And as weird and gay as that sounds, I missed ya my man. Glad you’re back

• chipower9 said, on February 5, 2013 at 8:13 am

So glad to see you back, Loo. Your ears must have been burning for a long fucking time…

2. twinfan1 said, on February 4, 2013 at 7:13 pm

I seldom watch losses again, but I will tonight. When you see how they were so close- 4 shots inside the ten to take the lead, how they got there becomes even more interesting. Play calling, dumb penalties. missed calls, an Akers miss that wasn’t a miss but played a huge part in subsequent decisions, a young QB’s brilliance- and a young QB’s mistakes- a cover guy who couldn’t cover, MOSS!!!!, Jimbo’s 363 tantrums… it was a winding crazy exciting weird electric road to get to the cusp of the greatest comeback in SB history…and it ends with a bloop to rightfield, uh, the right end zone, that is…I was absolutely 100% dead certain they’d win when Gore broke it to the 7. And even after the 4th down pass floated over Crabtree’s head and the Ravens took over, I told Merna ( who could not have cared less) that I still thought something bizarre would happen and we’d win. A Pisarcik moment, Ginn with a miracle return, the Stanford band, locusts…
    But I didn’t feel as bummed as Craig when it ended- and I’m not upset with the mistakes- they gave it their all and even with the disappointment with that final series- the Ravens forced the issue and went after Kap in the *only* way they could have if were to stop us- full out blitz.It’s very possible no play call would have succeeded against that pressure. Two teams deserved to win. Merna did chime in with this- the “hotter” coach won. She was cool with that ;-)

• Flavor said, on February 4, 2013 at 7:31 pm

yeah, with you, I still felt like this was going to happen even after the Crabtree-hold. Somehow, it was going to end with a 6th win. I was 10 years old again when I still believed in miracles and shit……

3. DJLoo said, on February 4, 2013 at 7:16 pm

Thanks, BF. But I’n still on very restricted duty. Maybe I’m better in small doses. Another thing that helped me a little in 2002. I was moping around for weeks and my old bartender/Giant fan pal Flaherty stold me: “Get over it already, they did”.

• Flavor said, on February 4, 2013 at 7:29 pm

haha, that’s rad. That reminds me of that big dude you used to roll deep with at games. Can’t remember his name. I think you said he passed away. Anyway, he sounded like me.

4. DJLoo said, on February 4, 2013 at 7:33 pm

Buzzsaw Rodriguez. He moved away years ago. No idea what happened to him.

• Flavor said, on February 4, 2013 at 7:34 pm

well, he’s dead to me. Sad. :)

5. twinfan1 said, on February 4, 2013 at 7:49 pm

Speaking of absences, I don’t think I’ve seen Old Seal’s Fan anywhere in a long time. Did he get lost in his mystery time zone, trip over that apparition in the shower, meet his fate in a Tenderloin alley in his seach for Soph?
    Anyway- nice to see you, Loo. Now quick- give us a POTD, although any post with a Buzzsaw Rodriguez in it might be a good enough. The images that conjures up…

6. DJLoo said, on February 4, 2013 at 8:12 pm

“Buzzsaw” was a really nice guy, but he would violently snap in an instant. He was about 6’4″ /280. He was on my softball team at an old job. He hit the longest softball homerun I ever saw. It broke the snout off a wooden horse on a merry-go-round in an adjacent amusement park. Maybe 400 feet. He would go after anyone that looked at me the wrong way.I think it was fun for him. I know I told you about the time he KO’ed 2 Met fans at Shea on Preakness Day 1985 for spitting in our seats while we were giving Chris Brown a standing O for a titanic HR. Banged their heads together 3 stooges style. Phenomenal moment.

• chipower9 said, on February 5, 2013 at 8:17 am

LMAO on the memories of OSF and the gin and chocolate milk, and the story about Buzzsaw banging the two heads together Stooges-style is awesome. Thanks for the laugh to help lighten the load of Sunday’s loss…

7. DJLoo said, on February 4, 2013 at 8:27 pm

Anyway, I hope you’re feeling well, Twin. I liked OSF. Drank gin & chocolate milk. I think he also liked to mix vodka with Squirt. And yes, he loved Soph (me too). Who knows, maybe he’ll turn up one day….

8. twinfan1 said, on February 4, 2013 at 9:40 pm

Due to a remarkable electronic milestone, the “Full Body and Lip Sync” – beginning with Opening Day of the 2013 MLB season, Beyonce will pretend to sing the National Anthem at every 2013 thru 2018 baseball game. She’s also signed an exclusive contract to be the voice for 911 and suicide hotline calls. I tried the 911 call and the response was awesome. Fab Morvan had my Domino’s pizza at the door in 40 seconds..

9. xoot said, on February 4, 2013 at 9:58 pm

The most obsessive 49er fan I know surprised everyone and came out of it quickly this morning with a facebook post (or update) about how much he hurt, and about how great this season’s run was, and about how he looks forward to next year. Then he switched his profile picture to one of him proudly wearing a (borrowed) Giants 2010 WS ring. He’s right. Spring is here.

10. Chico said, on February 5, 2013 at 12:22 am

I had a similar experience yesterday.. My wife and I, along with the kids watched the game at a friends house in Glen Park.. Everyone was yapping it up while I was focused on the game.. At halftime, I asked my buddy if I could use his downstairs TV to finish the second half alone, or if anyone wanted to join me, they’d have to be all about the game.. We cleared it with the ladies, and both of us went downstairs while two dudes stayed upstairs talking about their favorite cheese and if I remember correctly, public schools in the city (time and a place to discuss such matters).. As we came back, there was no doubt in my mind that we would win.. Those last few plays the Niners ran will forever be a dagger in my heart until we win the big one again.. Personally, it really hurts.. Last night I figured the pain would subside the next day (today), but after watching the game again in the comfort of my own home, it didn’t.. The pain was actually worse than the initial shock of us losing..

Kind of off topic but I jumped all over a guy last night on Chucks blog who claims to have been commenting on the Flap for years who goes by the username of ‘JBat’ – I thought he was a troll who is notorious for single handedly fucking up what was left of the SFGate Splash blog but in retrospect, I think I was wrong.. My father always told me that a real man admits his mistakes, raises his right hand and eats humble pie. So whoever ‘JBat’ is, and if he’s reading this, I apologize.. SFGate allows this type of behavior and actually encourages it so bear with me a bit.. When they allow idiots with umpteen dozen email addresses and usernames, it’s a little hard to spot him and people like me who just want to talk sports, etc will make mistakes in our quest on finding out who the asshole is.. 7 days until P’s and C’s report. Go Giants.

• chipower9 said, on February 5, 2013 at 8:23 am

I don’t know that I can bring myself to watch the game again. It is still sitting on my DVR. I think it would make me more depressed than I already am…

And JBat does post here occasionally, and has had some very good posts.

It is very rare that I even visit the Splash anymore, and really do not miss it at all….

11. Bozo said, on February 5, 2013 at 7:04 am

I’m still bummed. Man, I wanted that win and I really wanted to win the trifecta this year (Giants, Obama and Niners). Oh well, outside of Pittsburgh, I can still say – Got Five? We do!
    Loo is back, my favorite BBOTD makes another appearance, Mardi Gras this weekend, Spring Training soooon, I’ll get over it!

12. chipower9 said, on February 5, 2013 at 8:12 am

That is an AWESOME fucking thread, Flav. I feel as bad (and mad) today as I did yesterday (which was worse than the day of the loss). I can tell it is going to take me some time to shake this one. Yes, it is grand to reflect on the first five…and as glorious as each and every one was, I wanted our boys to tie Pittsburgh…not only that, but to win the first one for a new era…a new dynasty.

The points I keep looking to to help lighten the sadness is that this team is managed by the best of the best…top to bottom (I truly believe that – we have a kick-ass owner in Jed, a bright young GM in Baalke, absolutely one of the best head coaches who knows how to surround himself with other great coaches, a fairly young team that is stacked with draft picks…you get the drift). The future IS bright.

But fuck…we SHOULD HAVE won on Sunday. The best team DID NOT win. The team who played better for one day won…the more talented team did not (I truly believe that). And the fact that Gore did NOT touch the fucking ball on that final series will gall me for a LONG FUCKING TIME.

But, this too shall pass, and I am happy as hell that baseball is right around the corner. Damn, I cannot wait to catch that flight to Scottsdale with my daughter! Bring on the sunshine and baseball, baby!

13. chipower9 said, on February 5, 2013 at 9:20 am

I know this is just one idiot blowing smoke outta his ass, but this sure pissed me off. Fuck him and the horse he rode in on (and his ass should have been tossed for pushing the ref). AND on top of that, if he and Bruce Miller go toe-to-toe…he gets his ass SEVERLY WHOOPED!

• BoulderTom said, on February 5, 2013 at 9:19 pm

Cary Williams: I will remember this fuck

14. eddacker said, on February 5, 2013 at 9:33 am

Multiple teams pursuing Theriot
    According to FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal, the Indians and Rangers are courting the 33-year-old infielder, who delivered 104 games of below-replacement-level work to the world champion Giants last year and has hit three home runs since June 30, 2009. Meanwhile, at least as of three weeks ago, the Giants had not yet closed the door on bringing him back.
    AND the Gmen picked up a Theriot-like guy off wavers

• xoot said, on February 5, 2013 at 11:01 am

Theriot started last season well. At one point in the first half I had him pegged as a Willie Mac award candidate. Then his hitting vanished. I recall an injury, too; shoulder maybe. But he’s a solid backup IF, and he’ll always have a place on the wall with that Incredible Hulk pose he offered after scoring the go ahead run in game 4. I would be pleased if he worked out a new deal with the Giants.

• chipower9 said, on February 5, 2013 at 11:14 am

Theriot is a very solid middle IFer…would be a great back-up. I hope the Giants bring him back, and the fact that the Rangers, Indians and Phillies are chasing him says something about how other teams view his value.

15. twinfan1 said, on February 5, 2013 at 10:10 am

Well, some can say they don’t care but the 49ers did not come off well in the class department. If there’s one word to sum it up:
    *Whiners*..
    Look, it was a great game- and *both* teams got breaks- an early hold on Culliver wasn’t called, a flagrant out of bounds hit on Flacco, a flop job by Akers… were they the better team? Maybe. Do losing players express that? No. Fans can, talking heads can, players with any class don’t. And Harbaugh’s whining after his brother’s greatest moment was worst of all. There’s no more ungracious winner and loser in the coaching ranks.
    JBat is not a troll, BTW. And neither is Sandy, who was also called one on Chuck’s blog.
    Granted, the circumstances of the loss was differerent, but here’s class:

• chipower9 said, on February 5, 2013 at 11:20 am

I could care less about how gracious a winner or loser Jim Harbaugh is, really. What matters to me is that he motivates his players to give their best effort, and in doing so, maximizes the team’s chances to win.

• twinfan1 said, on February 5, 2013 at 11:25 am

Well, he didn’t on Sunday. He was outcoached start to finish.

• chipower9 said, on February 5, 2013 at 12:54 pm

That is true…he was outcoached on Sunday (and the Niners as a whole, were outplayed). I give my props to John Harbaugh. He is certainly one of the best in the business, and he is a class act. I really like the guy.

But I think Jim Harbaugh is right there with anyone when it comes to coaching. His coaching record as a head coach speaks for itself (University of San Diego, 29-6; Stanford, 29-21, and the Niners, 24-7-1).

I will take his brash cowboy attitude with his winning ways. I think his players like him and want to play for him.

I do believe he is one of the best coaches around…even if he did get out-coached in the recent Super Bowl.

• twinfan1 said, on February 5, 2013 at 1:48 pm

I’ve always praised his coaching ability.But besides some very questionable coaching on Sunday, I think his postgame behaviour put the spotlight on him and distracted attention from his player’s great effort. The Culiver/Brooks/Soapoaga debacles and the postgame whining reflected very poorly on the Niner organization.
        I’m surprised that good sportsmanship is not considered important by so many.

16. dirtnrocksnomo said, on February 5, 2013 at 10:58 am

I can understand Jim Harbaugh being so upset. He is obviously passionate about football and as anyone who has an older brother knows you spend most of your childhood getting the smackdown from on high. Losing on the national stage like that probably brought all of that subconscious shit back to the surface and if his sideline behavior is any indication we know that Jim is not real good at checking himself. Another thing about being brothers though is that you know another man better than you know pretty much anyone else. I am sure John isn’t offended and away from the glare of the media the Harbaugh boys are all good. Well, at least until John sports the ring at the next family event. Then we will read reports of Jim going all Jimmy Superfly Snuka and dropping the elbow from the top of the couch at the Harbaugh residence.

• blade3colorado said, on February 5, 2013 at 11:47 am

Dirt, spot on. What you said is what I was thinking. This isn’t to contradict Twin or anyone else who thinks JH was “whining.” As you indicated, the dynamics between brothers is unique – I know because I experienced the same thing (as an older brother). Shit, my brother and I didn’t really even become friends until I was a junior (and he was a sophomore) in High School. I was always watching over him, i.e., trying to keep him out of trouble, but always having his back.

LOL . . . Perhaps, calling it a “cold war” peace agreement is more apt. Regardless, we were always competitive ABOUT EVERYTHING (e.g., women, sports, bicycles, cars, jobs, money, etc.). Not to be a downer or anything – I use the word “were” because my brother isn’t here anymore, but I would give everything I have, including my life to have him back on this rock. Consequently, I can see through what Dirt calls the “glare of the media.” As he pointed out, they both have each other’s back.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on February 5, 2013 at 11:59 am

I read that on you other blog Blade. I am sorry for your loss.

• blade3colorado said, on February 5, 2013 at 12:07 pm

Thank you Micah.

• chipower9 said, on February 5, 2013 at 12:57 pm

Sorry for your loss, Steve. I have a younger brother and can relate to all that everyone has shared about “brotherly love” with the emphasis on love. Digging your blog…happy trails my friend.

• twinfan1 said, on February 5, 2013 at 11:49 am

i have no doubt John understands, Jim has always been a crappy loser and crappy winner. He probably ran up the score at tiddlywinks. But did he not prepare his team well and this time a huge deficit couldn’t be overcome. His players deserved better.

17. Macdog said, on February 5, 2013 at 11:15 am

Heyman tweeted about a half-hour ago: “Ramon ramirez agrees to deal w/ SFGiants.” If this is true, welcome back!

• chipower9 said, on February 5, 2013 at 1:01 pm

I just saw that, too.

So we “loaned” Ramirez and Torres to the Mets for Pagan. Love it. Article says it is a minor league deal, but I am sure he gets every chance to make the 25.

18. chipower9 said, on February 5, 2013 at 11:16 am

Jimmy Superfly Snuka…that’s great. LMAO…

19. willedav said, on February 5, 2013 at 11:36 am

i said month ago, losers in playoffs will have some splainin to do. What about GB defensive co? Falcons unable to hold 17 pt lead at home (twice in a row, lucky enough to win vs. Hawks)? Peyton Manning, throwing a ball into the middle of the field after scrambling to his right? Brady and welker in last year’s SB, unable to complete a pass to wide open receiver for a clinching score?
    Losing team always could have done more, every single player and coach. Sf has bright future with most of starters signed and returning, a ton of picks and so far have not lost anyone off coaching staff. Until someone knocks them off they are still NFC champs and team to beat in their division. Most teams are a lot worse off.

• chipower9 said, on February 5, 2013 at 1:03 pm

Niners second best odds to win next year’s Super Bowl (after Denver)…

20. twinfan1 said, on February 5, 2013 at 12:07 pm

I’ve posted about their very few holes player wise, going forward. They had a fine year and will probably be co-favorites to win the West next year. But absolutely, there’s “splainin” to do. The Niners made mistake after mistake-from the game’s first offensive play to it’s last offensive play. They probably are the better team talent wise, but they weren’t the better team. And with the game on the line- the Ravens set for an all out blitz- and the wrong play called for that defense, a TO in his pocket- Harbaugh left it on CK, who audibled out ( gutsy to put it on himself). He HAD to call that last TO. If they were stopped, it was worthless anyway. That’s arithmetic, not even math..

21. twinfan1 said, on February 5, 2013 at 12:28 pm

Ramon and Vungo both back and we keep Pagan, too? Sabean is a Mommafrigging genius..

22. pawliekokonuts said, on February 5, 2013 at 2:14 pm

Magnus, have you tried aromatherapy?

23. pawliekokonuts said, on February 5, 2013 at 2:15 pm

Well, it’s a grand day cuz DJLoo is back. And his story of a softball homer breaking the snout of an amusement park wooden horse made my day. Buzzsaw Rodriquez rules!

• DJLoo said, on February 5, 2013 at 3:44 pm

You’re goddamn right he does, Pawlie. The Shea security guys wouldn’t even come near him. They just walked his bloody victims to First Aid and never came back. Probably traumatized an entire little league team for life (they were in the next row.). There were no rules here from Lindsay thru Dinkins. Today he’d probably get maced and locked up.
      —-
      Sorry I missed you at Finnerty’s. Got the message too late. Spent most of my time on line around the block trying to start a riot and correcting people’s faulty Giant memories. No shortage of bandwagon jumpers and posers out there. But plenty of good oldtimers, too. My picture came out pretty good. I had them make it into a mousepad.Also grabbed a few of those pitiful miniature pins.Two years ago they gave out a great one and Bow-Tie himself was handing them out. I made him pin it on to me personally like we were going steady. Didn’t even need Buzzsaw to threaten him.

24. Alleykat said, on February 5, 2013 at 2:29 pm

That’s classic so we Pagan ,Ramirez and Torres.all back.from the Mets.Another brillant.move by Sabes!!
    Sandy Alderson is laying in a bathtub full of ice with his kidney removed.

25. unca_chuck said, on February 5, 2013 at 3:19 pm

The thing about those brothers (Jim and John) is younger brother Jim was a superior athlete from an early age. Bigger, stronger, faster, and better. John was there mainly to smooth the way for Jim’s arrival. It musta been a bit humbling for John.

Yeah, this one hurt bad bad bad. Much like the 2002 Giants. So close you can FEEL it. Touch it. Taste it. But it was snatched away at the last moment. And then . . . Nothing. Done. Finito. Kaput.

26. twinfan1 said, on February 5, 2013 at 3:34 pm

“John was there mainly to smooth the way for Jim’s arrival”.. where was that? Seriously, I don’t follow.

• twinfan1 said, on February 5, 2013 at 3:48 pm

John has been a HC for 5 years. They’ve been in the playoffs 5 years ,9-4 in the playoffs ,1 Super Bowl.Whatever John’s shortcomings as an athlete, he’s more than made up for as an NFL HC.

• unca_chuck said, on February 5, 2013 at 4:25 pm

The point I was making is that John was a backup DB in a low-level school, didn’t get draated, while his younger brother was the star QB for Michigan, and was a 1st round draft choice in the NFL.

• unca_chuck said, on February 5, 2013 at 3:51 pm

When John was a junior in HS, Jim was pegged to be the starting QB as a sophomore. The guys on the team hated Jim because he was cocky, he acted like king shit, and thought the players should worship him. John talked to the team into easing up on him. He also told Jim to lighten up and not be such a superior prick.

• twinfan1 said, on February 5, 2013 at 4:01 pm

Doesn’t sound like John had anything to humbled about unless being a man of superior character is a defect.

• unca_chuck said, on February 5, 2013 at 4:38 pm

Oh. I forgot. You are the most virtuous man alive. No sibling rivalry at all.

• twinfan1 said, on February 5, 2013 at 4:52 pm

Chuck, I make no claim to being virtuous. But I do value others who show character and good sportsmanship. No need to start on me for having an opinion that many share based on Jimbo’s actions.

27. unca_chuck said, on February 5, 2013 at 3:40 pm

Given the choice of making the call, I wouldn’t re-sign Goldson. At this point, Culliver, as awful as that game was, is the better prospect at FS. Culliver is a better deep cover guy than Goldson. Goldson bites too hard on double moves, play action, and is usually out of position much of the time. Whitner had a pretty big regresssion this year, and Rogers as well, but they are signed. Tarrell Brown was the one guy that stood out. Cox was OK in his limited action.

The D line seemed to fade pretty badly down the stretch. And sacks wre fe and far between. Mainly because J Smith went down. Some D line depth (Soap has been inconsistent) would help. Center Goodwin is getting long in the tooth ase well. Another pass rusher would be icing on the cake.

And the Niners desperately need some WRs. Manningham will hopefully comeback at full strength. KW? Ehhh. Ginn? Nope. The Niners need a big tall guy to chuck to in the end zone. Balt does that at will with Bouldin. And Detroit and Mergatroid. Like AZ and Fitzgerald back when AZ had a QB. . .

28. DJLoo said, on February 5, 2013 at 4:00 pm

J-Bat is an ace. Used to have a black & white Mays logo I think.

• twinfan1 said, on February 5, 2013 at 5:08 pm

J-Bat has posted for years on the SFgate blogs, and here off and on,. Sandy is a San Franciscan who also happens to be an LA Dodger fan.Both are smart and knowledgeable. Neither of them are trolls and not have been accused of being such on Chuck’s blog. Craig can attest to that, glad to see Loo defending JBat, too.

29. unca_chuck said, on February 5, 2013 at 5:00 pm

Yeah, everyone got a little cranky on my blog after the game. SFDF and JBat, neither who have I seen on my blog, got into it. Chico as well. I of course was not in the vicinity so, ah whatever. Blog-fun-land,

• Alleykat said, on February 5, 2013 at 5:46 pm

Yeah i like both those Kat’s (no pun intended),think JBat lives up in Seattle? Use to talk about minor league ball up there and going to some games?And SFDF,i used to blog with him late at night on the gate.Use to go.back &forth about the Giants & Dodgers,with him,and he was great and always cordial and knowleadgeable.
      Not really sure why Chico was going off on him the other day.Maybe just his blog name or just pissed off how the Niner game went and wanted to vent.

30. Flavor said, on February 5, 2013 at 5:46 pm

Nice to see Ramirez come back, He pitched to a 2.07 ERA during his time as a Giant. Not playing well for the Mets is SOP for most guys. (see: Angel Pagan).
    I expect him to have a very nice year for us assuming he makes the team…….

• Alleykat said, on February 5, 2013 at 5:53 pm

Yeah well who ever plays well for the Mets?(See Jason Bay)
      Ramon will be much better reunited with Rags again,then he was in NY with those losers!!

31. DJLoo said, on February 5, 2013 at 6:16 pm

The Giants collect relievers who have no fear. RR as a Giant was one of ‘em…

• Flavor said, on February 5, 2013 at 6:27 pm

you may have mentioned this,but what did Buzzkill do for work?

• DJLoo said, on February 5, 2013 at 6:53 pm

We worked in “the cage” for a brokerage house on Wall Street.
        You might have to be over 50 to know what that is.

• Flavor said, on February 5, 2013 at 7:12 pm

Sounds like a good venue for Buz to do the lion’s share of his physical damage. :)

• pawliekokonuts said, on February 5, 2013 at 7:16 pm

headmaster

32. Flavor said, on February 5, 2013 at 6:26 pm

Two days since the loss and I’m having more and more of an issue with Jim-H. The explosion on the sideline (after Crabs got grabbed) was embarrassing. His whining about it in the press conference was another bad look. Claiming he wouldn’t have changed the shitty plays he called in the last series was going to be my biggest gripe. But I just read that he said the Niners weren’t going to release Alex Smith. Now THAT is bullshit. Show some respect for the guy and what he did for the team. I wouldn’t have a problem with the Niners picking up his option and keeping him as a back up for a year. Smith signed the deal, he’s gotta live with it. And it would be a fantastic luxury to have a back up of Smith’s caliber.
    But I also think it’s time to let this all go. And if he wants to go play for someone else and get paid, go for it. Pick your team and I think there will be teams competing for his services (unlike last year). If SF wants to overpay for a back up QB that’s their choice and that’s a job he would have to accept. There are worse gigs. But to trade him for a draft pick, basically sentencing him to a year in Buffalo or Cleveland or wherever, is kind of a fucked up thing to do to him,.

• twinfan1 said, on February 5, 2013 at 7:16 pm

A reporter asked him about his sideline shit fits. He goes “Is that an ETIQUETTE question!!???” And goes on to equate being not totally postal with being ” catatonic”. That’s the black and white for Jimbo- it’s either screaming, spittle flying rage (good) or “catatonic”.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on February 5, 2013 at 7:34 pm

They should just let Smith go. How else to change the karma?

33. Flavor said, on February 5, 2013 at 7:08 pm

The Dubs are losing to the Rockets by 23 and they’re outshooting them 52% to 48%. I guess hitting 21 of your freaking 35 3’s has something to do with that………

34. Flavor said, on February 5, 2013 at 7:13 pm

The Rockets have fired off 87 shots (and counting) and 39 of them were treys. That’s insane. They’re at 130 and counting……

• pawliekokonuts said, on February 5, 2013 at 7:18 pm

if ever a human being NEEDED spring training, badly, it is the uber-progenitor-meister of this blog

35. paulinasia said, on February 5, 2013 at 7:56 pm

Agree with comments here about Ramon Ramirez coming back and Sabean’s skill at doing this kind of thing. Getting Angel Pagan, clearly a major piece of the World Championship run, for *nothing* in the long run… pretty amazing. Totally different circumstances, but I have also loved how Vogelsong’s triumphant return to SF kinda sorta means Sabes got Jason Schmidt AND Vogelsong and only gave up Armando Rios… two class-act front-line pitchers spanning two baseball generations (in baseball years). Let the games begin. And still hoping that Craig is not seeing “1st and goal from the 6″ in his dreams anymore….

36. willedav said, on February 5, 2013 at 7:58 pm

Funny that one of the coaches on Harbs most admired list was Woody Hayes. At least Harbs hasn’t gone after a player on the opposing team yet while on the sideline. I don’t care for his act, but I don’t have to play for him.
    The ravens are celebrating, but face it–Kap the new kid on the block threw for 300, gore ran for 100, rice lost a fumble in his own side of the field, and one of their spec teams guys ran into Akers on the FG attempt he missed and got him an extra 5 yds, good enough for 3 pts they otherwise would not have had. Which, if Sf had scored on that final possession, would have meant the ballgame. So they obviously made their share of mistakes too.
    Alex Smith is a well paid employee of the Niners, who can do whatever they think is in best interest of the team (key word there) as far as his future goes. Keeping Smith around as a most capable back up is not a bad idea at all; if Smith doesn’t like it he can refuse to report and go all Carson Palmer. But it is so not his call. Walsh had not one sentimental bone in his body when it came to players. This is strictly a business decision..

• Flavor said, on February 5, 2013 at 8:28 pm

excellent call on the Walsh comparison.

• twinfan1 said, on February 5, 2013 at 8:33 pm

See below, not the same at all; Walsh was all business, he was never two faced about it.

37. twinfan1 said, on February 5, 2013 at 8:31 pm

I’m seeing as much now about keeping him as trading or releasing him. Jed says they can fit his 8.5 under the cap, and wants him back. The reason is obvious-Kap is a high injury risk, they have zero intention of using Tolzien, and they won’t get anyone better than Alex to back up CK.
    Harbaugh says they won’t be doing Smith any “special favors”, read: we’ll do what’s best for the team, Unfortunately for Smith, that probably means he’s stuck. I know that getting 8.5 mill to pretend he doesnt hate Harbaugh and Tats is cush duty but the the well was poisoned for him here long ago.
    It just may NOT be best for the team…in any case, Walsh was brutal in that he released players without sentiment. He NEVER played kissy face while practicing the simultaneous “reach around”..Volunteers to carry Jimbo’s bags this are a vanishing breed…”sorry, dental surgery,boss” ,”Mother in Law is visiting”, “sorry, marching for a cure for acne that weekend”..
    BTW, replays show that Akers flopped *before* he was “run into”.

38. DJLoo said, on February 5, 2013 at 8:35 pm

You poor Niner fans and your 5 rings. My team hasn’t been to the SB in 43 years. I’m greatful for the one win.

39. Macdog said, on February 5, 2013 at 8:47 pm

I hope the Niners get rid of Alex Smith just for the sake of not seeing any more threads here about him anymore.

• twinfan1 said, on February 5, 2013 at 9:30 pm

Good luck. As much shit that us Alex lovers get, the threads started by his detractors probably run about 100-1.( Not here, more on Chuck’s blog and the Insider) . But why can’t Jimbo let him go? Jim’s a QB genius. He should be able to whip a minimum wage QB into a solid back up by the time camp rolls around again. Why blow 8.5 million ?

40. zumiee said, on February 5, 2013 at 9:23 pm

More evidence has come out that Ryan Braun is a cheetah.

• paulinasia said, on February 5, 2013 at 9:28 pm

Saw that, and he’s still denying it. Getting off on a technicality seems to have emboldened his living a lie…

• twinfan1 said, on February 5, 2013 at 9:39 pm

Nothing that’s come out is “evidence” of cheating. It’s suggestive of probable use but it is NOT evidence, I’m sorry. That’s still an important distinction. I realize that I’m pretty alone on that view point. Two men were kept out of the hall because they mighta/coulda have used.

41. twinfan1 said, on February 5, 2013 at 9:29 pm

Goodnight.

42. zumiee said, on February 5, 2013 at 10:36 pm

Actually, the most depressing thing about the Super Bowl was the half-time show. Hearing people in the media praise Beyonce’s performance, and totally missing the point that all the songs were vapid and completely forgettable is predictable, I guess. The songs suck, but a lot of people don’t care. American Idol is a top-rated show. People actually put that crap-music on their iPods.

• blade3colorado said, on February 6, 2013 at 1:25 am

Right on Zum!

Thank God I am not the only person that thinks that. I was beginning to think I was becoming my parents when I was 14. :-)

• Nipper said, on February 6, 2013 at 5:57 am

Beyonce has those legs and that makes the music tolerable.

43. Chico said, on February 5, 2013 at 11:51 pm

Not sure what else I can do other than what I did – apologizing for jumping all over JBat.. SFDF is a personal friend of mine and when I saw them locking horns, I felt the need to stick up for him because that’s what friends do. Some A-hole has been going after him on sfgate for a while now, and when JBat said ‘sanfrandodgerfan’ I flipped out.. I don’t like cyber bullies, and I don’t trust anyone with more than 3 email addresses. My secondary instincts were right, JBat isn’t a troll, and I apologized. Heat of the moment +booze + a super bowl loss — I’m sure ya’ll can understand.

• blade3colorado said, on February 6, 2013 at 1:23 am

Everyone understands Chico. We’ve all jumped on each other once (twice, three, four, five times, etc. :-) ). Like others have said here, JBat and Sandy (Sanfrandodgerfan) are good people. Sandy is unique, i.e., he is a Dodger fan and he will argue his point, but wont put you down (unless you put him down). Hey, we do the same thing here. Anywho, no biggie IMO.

• Nipper said, on February 6, 2013 at 5:58 am

Chico eating crow? This can’t be true!

44. unca_chuck said, on February 6, 2013 at 10:04 am

Chico, my only problem with it was I had never seen JBat or Sandy post on my blog, and they immediately get railed on in their first go around. As usual though I wasn’t around to mediate. The fun ALWAYS starts when I’m not around.

Heat of the moment and all. No biggie.

Harbaugh said this morning he wishes he maybe should have run more, but woulda coulda shoulda “has never failed.” Jenkins says he’s going to ‘come back a different player.” Like an NFL one? He’s apparently going to work out with Kappy this offseason. I hope he can keep up.

And, please. Harbaugh’s whining? Sure he is. He should be pissed about it. Show me someone who accepts horrible officiating and I’ll show you a loser. There were 3-4 non-calls on those last 3 plays. He goes ballistic? Christ. this shows the players he’s got their back. Frankly, I don’t give a shit if it isn’t the ‘proper’ way to lose. I’m sure he’ll be a little more concilliatory later on, but now? Fuck that. I’d be furious too. 2 years, 2 deep playoff runs, and this is the thanks he gets? I don;t agree with what he does all the time, but really, this team is instantly in the Super Bowl hunt on the strength of his coaching. He ruffles some feathers along the way? I say tough shit.

Mangini was on ESPN and he showed the last 4 plays. On the 2nd down play, Walker was bear-hugged on the goal line while Crabs was held. 2 non-calls. 3rd down there was a lot of contact all over the goal line, but nothing too obvious. 4th down? Yeah. Holding AND PI. 2 more non-calls. It WAS a good play by Smith in that he got away with it. Without the PI, Crabs likely catches that pass and the Niners win. The all the 2nd guessing is for the Ravens mistakes. The fake FG fuckup, their fumble deep in their territory, running into the kicker, on and on. Hey mayube they even get the ball back and kick a winning FG. Who knows. That would have been easier to take rather than seeing the refs collectively swallow their whistles.

Sure, there were a million fuckups by the Niners, but the biggest was the fumble by LMJ. Yeah, he was trying to get yards, but he has to know in that situation there are guys flying to the ball. The Niners were on their way to taking the lead but fell behind by 11.

• blade3colorado said, on February 6, 2013 at 10:35 am

Spot on Chuck. I agree that any one that “rolls over” and accepts defeat, is a loser. You’re also right that it shows he has the players back. Jim Harbaugh is occasionally over the top, but I want him in my foxhole 24/7.

• unca_chuck said, on February 6, 2013 at 10:56 am

Beyond that, it’s his brother for God’s sake. They’ll talk soon, and Jim will say the right things, I’m sure. Would John have handled it differently? In all likelihood yes. But that’s what makes them different.

• twinfan1 said, on February 6, 2013 at 11:31 am

When we needed the flop, we didn’t get it. Crabs engaged Smith. If he flops instead, we get the call. But he pushed off on Smith’s helmet and Smith ended up on the ground.

45. twinfan1 said, on February 6, 2013 at 11:14 am

Akers flopped before he was run into-subtract 3. Flagrant late hit on Flacco- most likely plus 4 Ravens. Crabs used left hand to push Smith as Smith held- no call. Miller held on 108 Yd. return- subtract Raven 7.
    Net: Raven’s win. Lose the whine, enjoy some wine, Jimbo…

46. twinfan1 said, on February 6, 2013 at 11:42 am

I will add, for fairness, that it now seems there’s more than one bad boy in the family. John shoved a photographer after the game and screamed and cursed at Mike Kensil, NFL’s Vice President of Game Operations, during the black out.

47. unca_chuck said, on February 6, 2013 at 1:28 pm

Didn’t you see that during the game? was a highlight for me. Showed John being a little less buttoned down than he’s percieved.

Sorry, no, Mike. In no scenario can the DB wrap both arms around the WR and hold like he did. It happened on the 2nd down play to Delanie Walker as well. He was bear hugged on the goal line.

• twinfan1 said, on February 7, 2013 at 12:16 pm

You take is refuted by most-including the replay–Crabs and Smith were both engaged with each other, Crabs was pushing off-a proper no call. and ALL calls and no calls are subject to evaluation- not just the ones that go against us.
      They won, they deserved it, we didn’t…

48. unca_chuck said, on February 6, 2013 at 1:29 pm

You don’t go by make ups. They missed 4 calls in the end.

49. unca_chuck said, on February 6, 2013 at 1:52 pm

Besides, Cary Williams should have been thrown out during the fight for shoving the ref.

As it was, they didn’t even flag THAT.

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 496 other followers