Changing the Dimensions of a Ballpark

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on February 6, 2013

Ok, I can’t look at that last thread anymore. I don’t have anything real baseball-y to talk about but I must start a new thread. It’s all part of the healing process……..

The Mariners and the Padres are moving their fences in this year. The Mets did it last year. Personally, I think it’s bad idea. It’s not a resolution to anything. All it does is look pretty to the fans and, in theory, sell more tickets. But I can’t imagine that those fans are going to be any happier watching their team lose 8-6 as opposed to 2-1. Another possible argument is that it will make both teams more appealing to free agent hitters who otherwise wouldn’t consider them. Also a dumb idea. The Giants have proven that a world series team isn’t built with expensive free agent hitters. Money needs to get poured into the draft with the emphasis on stock piling young pitchers,  scouting and an expansive presence overseas designed to identify and develop the best young talent the world has to offer.

Signing expensive free agents is nothing more than a PR move. It looks good to the fan base. But by the time a free agent actually hits free agency, he’s very likely already produced the best part of his career on the back of his baseball card. And even if the decline hasn’t already started, it will begin soon.

Seattle and San Diego don’t have the dough to keep signing big $ free agents so they did the next best quick fix thing: move the fences in. It’s a lazy approach to trying to fix the holes in your team. And it’s not going to work for either.

The favorite part of AT&T, for me, is Triples Alley. When we traded for the great Angel Pagan I think I said at the time that he’d hit about a billion triples at ATT. I was off by a few, but he did blast a franchise record 15 to go along with 38 doubles. He ended up with only 8 bombs but I doubt he lost too many at AT&T. But who cares, he’s not a home run hitter. But he was the perfect bat for Sabean to go out and get.

I’d be so bummed if they moved the fences in at AT&T.

About these ads

1. chipower9 said, on February 6, 2013 at 7:43 am

Agree with you 110% Flav. And I think the Giants (Sabean and crew) get everything that you just explained…pitching, pitching, pitching…and put ‘em in a “pitcher’s park.”

I love AT&T the way it is currently configured. The whole “Chicks dig the long ball” thing lost its luster a long time ago (I never bought into it anyway…well, maybe just a bit when Barry Lamar was jacking balls into McCovey Cove). I love NL baseball (FUCK the DH…sorry Nip)…so no…please NEVER move the fences in.

• blade3colorado said, on February 6, 2013 at 10:42 am

As Flav said and you reiterated Chi, the Phone park is fine as is. They move in the fences, then that means 2 things happened:

1. Giants have turned into BIG TIME LOSERS AND ARE ON THEIR 10TH LOSING SEASON IN A ROW ALA PITTSBURG PIRATES OR NEW YORK METS.

2. Sabean and the rest of the current Giants brain trust has either retired or are all dead.

2. eddacker said, on February 6, 2013 at 7:49 am

Chris Carpenter 2013 over, he made an amazing return from Thoracic Outlet Syndrome (TOS) surgery last year, but his 2013 season—and, potentially, his career—is now in jeopardy following a setback with his shoulder. Carpenter was throwing off the mound recently when his symptoms returned, this time worse than before. He is also experiencing numbness in his arm and bruising in his shoulder and hand. Carpenter informed Cardinals general manager John Mozeliak of the situation after trying to throw three different times without success

• chipower9 said, on February 6, 2013 at 7:57 am

Yeah, I heard about this yesterday morn. Never like to see someone with debilatating health issues…certainly sounds like his baseball days are over.

3. eddacker said, on February 6, 2013 at 8:10 am

So . . . you build a ballpark to specifications that were researched and planned with a lot of work and many considerations. Then your team is not playing well and you use the park as a scapegoat. Gee, if we just change the dimensions we will win more games.
    bah, humbug

4. willedav said, on February 6, 2013 at 8:22 am

Interesting to see how Alderson’s PS reacts this season, esp since he dumped off their best SP and one of the best in the league. Philly plays in a total bandbox, but has kept all their best SPs while scrambling for offense.
    Sure Ike Davis and some others might put up better numbers, but the other team gets to hit there too.

Quick shout out to SanDawg: One of the top boys HS b-ball programs in NorCal is Sheldon of Sac, and they are sending two guys to the tecs next season. I think Chase Tapley is also from Sac—nice pipeline. MWest is a top flight b-ball conference and might have as many as 4-5 teams in the dance (only a month away too), which is likely more than Pac12, Big West or WCC.

5. Alleykat said, on February 6, 2013 at 8:26 am

Carpenter’s career is over for sure,but he’s not dumb enough to retire now,he will stay on the DL all year,cause the Cards owe him 12.5 scratch,if he retires now he gets zip.

6. willedav said, on February 6, 2013 at 8:43 am

Hey Loo, welcome back and congrats on curley culp getting in the HOF. Jenkins here was yukking it up over Moss and his best ever BS, and mentioned Otis Taylor as one of best wideouts ever. Incredible amount of cool players and great athletes on Chiefs from those years (a lot from small black schools of south like Noland Smith of tennessee st), and quite a few in the hall.
    buddy of mine I still talk to grew up in KC before his dad got a job out here as airline mechanic early 60s. He posted pics on FB taken of he and his family at game he went to this dec at coliseum…and he’s in chiefs gear too. As a kid in middle school he once wore an A’s (KC still in those days) jacket to school in honor of pitcher O’Donoghue being named to the All Star game…none of us had ever seen anything like it before.

7. dirtnrocksnomo said, on February 6, 2013 at 8:49 am

Phone Book Park is such a beautiful park exactly as it is I can’t imagine changing the configuration. Whether it was intended or not it has caused a brand of baseball to develope in SF that is excting to fans and has produced championships. Why mess with a good thing?

I don’t know for sure but it seems like every minor league invite or pitcher signing has been a right handed pitcher. If there was any doubt on Wilson being left out in the cold I would think the Ramirez invite further seals it. For a dude that is supposedly so media savy Wilson hasn’t played his hand well at all.

8. pawliekokonuts said, on February 6, 2013 at 9:00 am

I too agree. Plus, when engineers and designers fiddle with the dimensions it never comes out like they think. Nor does it at the start. The new Yankee Stadium turned out to be a wind tunnel to right, didn’t it? Hey, was that an apparition, or was DJLoo really here yesterday?

9. twinfan1 said, on February 6, 2013 at 9:07 am

This *IS* a hitter’s park-with the right hitters. Kent, Aurilia, Sanders, Burks, Grissom, Alou, even Bengie and Feliz, Uribe, Burrell..there’s a pattern- RH hitters with PULL power have a friendly LF. We won last year, to break it into the simplest terms, because we hit on the road and pitched at home.
    No no no on moving the fences in. But yes yes on thinking about more power help from the right side, if not this year-soon. They can’t rely on last year’s formula forever. They need to get some balance in the LU. They’ll be fine this year because the pitching is still there to carry them at home. And you need speed and defense here- Check! But the search for the RH “Big Bat” must continue in earnest.

• chipower9 said, on February 6, 2013 at 10:33 am

That’s a BIG bat…is he a RH pull hitter?

10. dirtnrocksnomo said, on February 6, 2013 at 9:31 am

Anyone going to fan fest on Saturday?

• big flavor said, on February 6, 2013 at 9:47 am

I wasn’t going to because we play basketball on Sat but we’ve got a bye this week so I’m kicking the idea of going around. You?

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on February 6, 2013 at 9:54 am

I am pretty sure I will go. I’m not real interested in signatures and stuff. Just want to walk on the field, maybe do the tour of the club house that sort of stuff. I’ll be brining my daughter so of course the Coke Bottle slide will be visited. If you decide to go let me know.

• Flavor said, on February 6, 2013 at 10:00 am

yeah, will do. I would do the same thing, shine the autographs and lines and just walk the field, people watch, etc. I doubt I’d bring Katie but maybe.

• snarkk said, on February 6, 2013 at 10:55 am

I took the Snarkkettes one year, I think 2009. Even then, the crowds were crazed. Being on the field is cool, and seeing some players, but it’s almost as bad as New Years Eve in Times Square. If you want to get into the clubhouse, good luck. The line for that is ENDLESS, and not worth getting in unless you get there with the chickens. After being there for 2 hours and seeing what we could see, the Snarkkettes were agitated about crowds and lines, etc. and we had to go. With young kids, going to a game is far better, IMO…

• chipower9 said, on February 6, 2013 at 10:21 am

Gonna skip it this year. I don’t really care for it since it was moved to the yard….just too damned crowded. Loved it when it was at Fort Mason back in the day, or even across McCovey Cove in the wareshouses over there.

It is cool to get down on the field, and to check out the clubhouse. I went to the clubhouse first year it was at the park, and we stood in line for two hours to get in. It was cool…got to check it out in detail, and also sit in the dugout, etc.

But again…the crowds are just too much. And it will be even worse this year given the team just won its second WS in three years.

If you go, go early. My daughter could not get in (it was either last year or year before), as they closed the gates after a certain number of folks got in.

• salty said, on February 6, 2013 at 10:45 am

What was that yogism no one ever goes there anymore because its too crowded?

• chipower9 said, on February 6, 2013 at 11:30 am

Uh, yeah…that was my intent, Salt…a Yogi-ism…sure it was… (insert gay-assed smiley face, here)…

11. Macdog said, on February 6, 2013 at 9:38 am

The worst part of the Mets moving in the fences last year was, early on, after every home run the announcers would debate whether it would’ve gone out before the reconfiguration. Thankfully, this died out as the season wore on.

• pawliekokonuts said, on February 6, 2013 at 10:17 am

I miss seeing the ServAll zippers sign in the outfield.

12. salty said, on February 6, 2013 at 10:25 am

Can’t see them ever messing with the dimensions. Mavowan Baer always quickly squashed such talk.

13. blade3colorado said, on February 6, 2013 at 10:48 am

Moving in the fences – as I alluded to in regard to Chi’s first post above – is not going to happen in our lifetime. Book it. We will all be fertilizer before that happens.

New post on my blog. Heading to the land of Oz today as well.

Welcome back Loo! Hope you are well.

14. unca_chuck said, on February 6, 2013 at 10:54 am

Love it when I write a post and then realize later that a new thread has been added.

And yes, good to have you back, Mr. Loo . . .

• blade3colorado said, on February 6, 2013 at 11:00 am

I saw it Chuck and actually commented on it (if you are talking about your JH take . . . yer right in my opinion). I always check the previous days posts – well I do when I have a good WIFI connection – to see if I missed anything. Likewise, I also tend to post on the old thread and not realize that Flav has posted a new one. :-)

15. twinfan1 said, on February 6, 2013 at 11:02 am

Some home splits, 2012, just starters..

Pagan 304 AB .286 BA .341 OBP .753 OPS 19-8-1-20 ( 2B, 3B, HR, RBI)
    Scooter (SF only) 120 AB .358 BA .402 OBP .871 OPS 9-1-1-19 ( 2B, 3B, HR, RBI)
    Panda 179 AB .302 BA .371 OBP .874 OPS 13-1-7-31 ( 2B, 3B, HR, RBI)
    Posey 245 AB .343 BA .418 OBP .924 OPS 19- 0- 7- 41 ( 2B, 3B, HR, RBI)
    Pence ( SF only) 98 AB .204 BA .283 OBP .600 OPS 3- 1- 2- 17 ( 2B, 3B, HR, RBI)
    Belt 200 AB .315 BA .401 OBP .906 OPS 15- 4- 5- 31 ( 2B, 3B, HR, RBI)
    Blanco 192 AB .250 BA .351 OBP .695 OPS 8- 2- 2- 13 ( 2B, 3B, HR, RBI)
    Crawford 220 AB .241 BA .303 OBP .630 OPS 12- 2- 1- 19 ( 2B, 3B, HR, RBI)

Notes:
    As a team, the obvious diff was power 31 HR at home vs. 72 on the road. Our BA and OBP as a team were almost the same home and away. Our doubles and triples as a team were almost the same home and away. But bottom line- 410 runs on the road, 308 at home. As a group we hit the same or about the same by BA, OBP, doubles, and triples. Obviously, the HR power number was the diff, and about the only diff between home and road.
    Looking at those individual numbers; Pence, I knew it was bad, but OMG !!! Pagan- he’s a lead off hitter- #s are fine here. Scooter- I’ll have what he’s having! Panda- he, Buster, and Belt were THE guys among those who were here all year. Buster: MVP says it all, but some more HRs at home would be nice. Belt- wherever he ate on the road last year- go somewhere else. Blanco- OK. Crawdad: every projection I’ve seen says no improvement. This time I’m on Brandon’s side- I think he’ll improve home and away.

Here’s the team split page at BR:

16. snarkk said, on February 6, 2013 at 11:03 am

I would change the RF wall. I’d lower it a coupla feet, not change the distance from home. I’d like to see a few more HRs over the wall. That would even add a few rows of seats. Baer should like that…

• twinfan1 said, on February 6, 2013 at 11:22 am

No one woulda gone broke giving away free pizzas for every home dinger last year.

17. Bozo said, on February 6, 2013 at 11:18 am

For the NY guys and Giants history buffs, this is a pretty cool story concerning the Polo Grounds.

• chipower9 said, on February 6, 2013 at 1:33 pm

Awesome story John…thanks for sharing…

• pawliekokonuts said, on February 6, 2013 at 6:56 pm

Thank you ever so much for this, Clown. Yeah, I’ve got to walk those stairs when they are restored. Talk about a pilgrimage!

18. snarkk said, on February 6, 2013 at 12:07 pm

Bad news.
    Delanie Walker’s aunt and uncle were killed by a drunk driver in NO early Monday morning.
    This SB was just bad karma all around for SF…

• twinfan1 said, on February 6, 2013 at 12:12 pm

I just now saw that. Just terrible news.

• Chico said, on February 6, 2013 at 12:24 pm

God, the family must be devastated. Horrible news.

19. Macdog said, on February 6, 2013 at 12:19 pm

Move in the fences? And deprive us of moments like this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Fz1CokDZrg

20. Chico said, on February 6, 2013 at 12:27 pm

Yeah, there is nothing more exciting that a ball hit into triples alley.. At first I thought the park was kind of funky, but I quickly got used to it.. I also like the way we can build a team to fit the park.. Pitching, speed, defense, and gap hitters.. It’s sure paid off for us ;)

• twinfan1 said, on February 6, 2013 at 12:43 pm

We scored just 3.8 runs per game at home but had a 3.09 ERA. The ballpark did NOT help us offensively. We won because with pitched well at home and scored runs (5 RPG) on the road.

• Chico said, on February 6, 2013 at 12:50 pm

Good point TF.. You can’t dispute stats.. Pitching was first on my list.

• twinfan1 said, on February 6, 2013 at 1:36 pm

Most hate stats, they think that stats people don’t understand the “soul”of the game. That’s not true, of course. But at this basic level, it can’t be disputed- we score over one run less per game at home than on the road.

• chipower9 said, on February 6, 2013 at 1:37 pm

Chico – your first three all contribute to that ERA…pitching, speed (think Pagan and Blanco closing the gaps in the OF) and defense.

• Chico said, on February 6, 2013 at 1:50 pm

I’m not a huge stats guy myself but I do respect those who take the time to study them. Agreed Chi, it’s a good formula to have playing at home, imo.

• twinfan1 said, on February 6, 2013 at 2:19 pm

It’s not possible to argue that we benefited offensively from the ballpark in 2012. Sorry. Dems the facts.

2008 314 runs
        2009 358 runs
        2010 347 runs
        2011 236 runs
        2012 308 runs

Only in 2011 did we score less at home than last year. in fact, 2012 was the second worst for runs at home in this century. The pitching part is true, and Sabean was crucified for drafting pitchers.Again, pitching carried us at home, hitting on the road. While defense helps the pitching, it does so home *and* away.

• Chico said, on February 6, 2013 at 2:27 pm

Thanks for the stats & info twin.. Like I said, those stats can’t be disputed. I’m in agreement with you on that.

• twinfan1 said, on February 6, 2013 at 2:44 pm

It wasn’t really for you, Chico.I know you understand. To have a team truly tailored for ATT, they need either Barry Bonds ;-) or a couple RH hitters with pull power to add to the mix. We’ll have to see if Pence is one of them.

• Macdog said, on February 6, 2013 at 2:48 pm

The post-Melky lineup that went 30-14 to close the season and went on to win the World Series scored equally at home as on the road. In 20 home games (13-7) the Giants averaged 4.9 runs, and in 24 road games (17-7) the Giants averaged 4.958 runs. Since the lineup is returning pretty much intact, maybe they’ll improve on that season-long total of 308 given a full season playing together.

• twinfan1 said, on February 6, 2013 at 4:06 pm

That’s possible,Mac. I’m not being negative about this year. I’d say it’s reasonable to expect better from Belt, Panda, Pence. Hope for better from Crawford and Blanco/Torres.Expect about the same from Buster and Pagan. Expect a drop off to career level numbers from Scooter.
        Those are my unofficial wrong as usual guesses.

• chipower9 said, on February 6, 2013 at 1:36 pm

LMAO…I remember that shot the night it was hit…too damned funny. Kinsler was like WTF?! Ha ha ha…

21. gianthead said, on February 6, 2013 at 1:00 pm

The problem with these other teams is that they have not learned how to build a team around their home field dimensions. If they had, they would enjoy the type of success we have been grateful to have had the Gigantes.

Of course, last year’s team was really the first to be built to take advantage of ATT from top to bottom. We rode a wave of karma in 2010 with Huff, Burrell, Renteria and Uribe that was completely off the charts.

Funny how these other teams built stadiums around the steroid era and now they want to change the dimensions instead of changing their teams significantly.

22. eddacker said, on February 6, 2013 at 2:31 pm

SO, is the demo of DA Stick comma be broadcast anywhere besides news shows?

• blade3colorado said, on February 6, 2013 at 2:42 pm

Ed, good to Skype with you last night. :-)

• eddacker said, on February 6, 2013 at 2:45 pm

U no it dude, been too long to finally meet.

23. blade3colorado said, on February 6, 2013 at 2:51 pm

Five hours to kill at Christchurch airport. Booooooooring. I should have used the rental car to cruise the city, but I was already using up my good Karma with regard to driving here. :-)

• Chico said, on February 6, 2013 at 3:18 pm

Epic photos man.. Enjoy Australia!

24. Flavor said, on February 6, 2013 at 3:16 pm

We ended the season strongly at home, as Mac noted we went 30-14 after Melky, 13-7 at home in our last 44 games in all (after Melky went down).
    But I remember many times last year coming home of a road trip and just sucking offensively—like none runs. But we closed out strongly and that’s all that matters. Over the course of 162 you find out who your team is. So while it can’t be argued that ATT helped us offensively it can be argued that Sabean has gotten better at identifying the right type of hitter for AT&T. He swung and missed wildly on Rowand who didn’t hit many balls down the line (unless you’re talking about dribblers down the third base line) but seems to have figured it out last year with Pagan and Blanco and Scutaro (to name just 3). None of them are power hitters but all of them (well, minus Blanco) are high contact hitters (Pagan: 84%, Scooots an unreal 92%, Blanco 74%) and line drive hitters: (Pagan 23%, Scoots 26% and Blanco 23%–anything over 20% is very good). .
    Our current collection of hitters, save Pence, are good fits for the park dimensions……

• twinfan1 said, on February 6, 2013 at 4:29 pm

Well, again-what’s missing is what has made us a successful hitting team at home in past years- RH pull power hitters. That is still a need if it can be said the offense is structured ideally for ATT. I’m not bothered by a low scoring team at hgome, but I never bitched about the offense in the first place. It’s been a pitching first team for these last 4 successful seasons and I don’t see it that much different this year. If Belt, Panda, and Pence all put up better HR numbers, that would obviously change things.

25. Flavor said, on February 6, 2013 at 3:56 pm

Loved Shea’s article on this, I’ve been wanting to see this happen. Sounds like Baer gave him a standard schtick answer so I don’t expect it to happen. But I am going to email Shea telling him to keep trying.

• salty said, on February 6, 2013 at 4:14 pm

Will be kind of sad to see that shit hole go. Lot of fond memories. Been to many more games there than at the phone and in retrospect, had more fun. Younger, wilder and didn’t mind the cold or sitting in the nose bleed section. Course at a buck a pop, we were drinking more.

26. Nipper said, on February 6, 2013 at 4:00 pm

Yeah leave ATT alone. As for the Stick it will not happen. The one last game is pure BS. One writer’s silly fantasy.

• Flavor said, on February 6, 2013 at 4:09 pm

It’s hardly “one writer’s fantasy”. I know a ton of fans who would love to go to one last baseball game at the Stick. I emailed Shea and told him to start on online petition so Baer can see just how many fans would go to that game. If it’s got dollar signs on it, Baer will do it.

• blade3colorado said, on February 6, 2013 at 4:50 pm

Absolutely agree that if Baer saw $ signs, he would be down with putting a game on at that shithole (thanks Salty).

• Flavor said, on February 6, 2013 at 7:14 pm

Oh Blade, I loved Candlestick. If it was possible, I’d let that shithole drop a huge Cleveland Steamer on me, just to thank it for the memories………

• Bozo said, on February 6, 2013 at 8:30 pm

Flav, you have to give yourself POTD on that one. There is so much gold in that one that it should be vaulted.

27. blade3colorado said, on February 6, 2013 at 4:16 pm

TOP 5 THINGS I DIDN’T KNOW ABOUT EDDACKER BEFORE SKYPING HIM

1. Dude isn’t English as I thought.
    2. Dude talks intelligently. Not stoned or drunk as I suspected he was. :-)
    3 Dude is frickin’ smart about all things electronic, especially computers. Up there in Twin’s wheelhouse.
    4. Dude is humble and gracious.
    5. Dude thinks he was lucky to win Flap league (see 4). LMFAO! Dude knows baseball and I will be prepared next season. GRIN.

• Flavor said, on February 6, 2013 at 4:22 pm

*not stoned or drunk as I expected he was*–that’s hilarious. Edd is known to fire off some pretty weird shit late at night so I get what you mean. Part of it is the sheer volume of posts. Whenever I read a post from Edd and I don’t get it I usually just chalk it up to me being too drunk so thanks for the clarification, lol

• blade3colorado said, on February 6, 2013 at 4:45 pm

Yeah, I think he writes the “eddyisms” to keep us guessing. No way, no how, is Ed downing a couple of rum & cokes, with a tab of acid when he posts. The only alternative explanation is that he is dyslexic. :-)

• Flavor said, on February 6, 2013 at 4:58 pm

Edd sometimes hits the blog out of nowhere like he’s having a conversation with someone except you can’t read what the other guy is saying. It’s often about something out of context like the Olympics or a tennis match (and of course I’m talking about his late night posts that I read in the morning)..
        But he is without a doubt one of my favorite daytime posters and actually his night time posts serve as a sort of *watch dog* purpose that keeps idiots like *the hangman* on other blogs.
        And his fantasy prowess is unquestioned after he went from last to first in one year’s time (his 2nd year ever playing).

• twinfan1 said, on February 6, 2013 at 5:10 pm

Edd and Snarkk are probably the “go to” guys on computer stuff now. I think it’s Snarkk, I seem to recall he’s prettty tekkie.

28. AlleykatS said, on February 6, 2013 at 4:31 pm

Giants lock in Sergio Romo….2 yrs, no terms announced.Buy out last 2 Arbs years though.

• Flavor said, on February 6, 2013 at 4:51 pm

very nice. I still don’t think he’ll hold up over a full season as a closer, he pitches with a brace on both knees, but he’s as dominant as they come and he proved his big game worth in the playoffs this year.
      Bee Wheezy’s still having trouble finding work. His problem is that he’s not going to be ready for opening day and even when he comes back in 2013 he will likely be better in 2014. Most teams don’t want to invest in a 2014 closer in 2013 and Wheezy clearly wants to be THE MAN in the upcoming season.
      He’s going to have to ratchet down his expectations, in my opinion……

• twinfan1 said, on February 6, 2013 at 5:59 pm

It’s a poor show, IMO, but there’s bit in an episode of “Neccessary Roughness” that reminded me of Wilson. This rock singer is getting his head shrunk and someone tells him he’s out of control. The rock singer looks at the guy like he’s surprised the dude hasn’t died of dumbness and screams (paraphrasing) “They come to see my band…..***BECAUSE** I’M OUTTA CONTROL!!!!!”

• Chico said, on February 6, 2013 at 5:59 pm

According to Schulman, Bochy said he will use multiple relievers to close. I’m fine with it..

• Flavor said, on February 6, 2013 at 7:13 pm

what’s the poor show? That he wants a front line closer gig?

• twinfan1 said, on February 6, 2013 at 7:28 pm

The *TV show* is poor,IMO. I’m Wilson’s numero uno fan.

• Flavor said, on February 6, 2013 at 7:31 pm

I still don’t know what tv show you’re talking about. That Wilson show that got cancelled a couple of years ago? I saw some youtube episodes that were freaking hilarious. But that type of humor has it’s limits………

• twinfan1 said, on February 6, 2013 at 7:38 pm

I sort of “free associate”and I guess I presume everyone is like that. Thanks for asking before thinking I was saying something that I was not saying. I do my best, Flavor

• twinfan1 said, on February 6, 2013 at 7:45 pm

The show is the one I said had a bit that reminded me of BW, “Neccessary Roughness”. What reminded me of him was the “outta control” thing. Meaning his whole deal is the persona he projects..
        Like “Man you’re crazy!”
        “That’s why I’m good!”

• Flavor said, on February 6, 2013 at 8:11 pm

I see. thanks for explaining. I watch almost no tv/movies. About all I watch on tv are the news/giants games/Niners games/occasional Dubs games.
        I DID recently start watching a Kevin Bacon series called The Following that I stumbled upon by accident and then kept watching because I couldn’t believe the gratuitous violence and wanted to make sure I wasn’t watching HBO or something.
        Haven’t seen the most recent recording but so far, as long as you suspend reality, it’s quite an engaging show…….

• twinfan1 said, on February 6, 2013 at 8:30 pm

I generally watch what’s on between 10 P.M. and 6 A.M. and that between moments of sleep. What’s uncanny is my unique abilty to catch an entire Law and Order-except the last 5 minutes. Now if you’ve watched L&O, you know there are two parts worth watching- the part where the babe jogging in the park finds a body that has lost 134 gallons of blood from being stabbed a few dozen times-that’s the first 5 minutes. And the part where the 6th person who was suspected of the crime gets off because the stupid ass cops conducted an illegal search… that’s the last five minutes. The last 10 seconds is best of all- that’s where a grieving Mom/Dad/Sibling/Significant Other shoots the dirty bastard on the courthouse steps..

29. pawliekokonuts said, on February 6, 2013 at 6:58 pm

Clown, I just thanked you up above for that wonderful link about the Polo Grounds.

• Bozo said, on February 6, 2013 at 8:25 pm

No problem Pawlie. I thought it was a pretty cool story. Hope to see it myself.

30. Flavor said, on February 6, 2013 at 7:21 pm

Belt and Panda are two other players I could have thrown in there, too. Belt hit line drives at a 26% clip last year. That’s outstanding. Now that he’s had success at the MLB level, I could see Belt having a huge year next year as long as he stops trying to work a walk every single at bat and start to utilize some of his obvious power and I’m talking Px power. though it’s dropped 3 consecutive years (167, 130, 107, the first 2 years were Px sharpened in the minors. The 107 is not bad but definitely something to grow from. As long as he swings the freaking bat………

31. pawliekokonuts said, on February 6, 2013 at 7:22 pm

I just watched the Finnerty’s showing at the Giants’ website. Pretty cool, but could not find myself. I’m kicking myself, though, for not joining the New york Giants Preservation Society, years ago. They had a private showing, including with Willie Mays. Why didn’t I get in on that? Why? Why?

32. Flavor said, on February 6, 2013 at 7:29 pm

And Chico– I think they will use multiple closers because Bochy proved that it can work at a consistent winning level. Name the last team that could say that and you’d have to go many years back.
    And the other thing Bochy did, and it was brilliantly fantastic on many levels, is his use of the *secret weapon Timmy* in the playoffs……
    I think Dirrrrty Sanchez, recently signed by the Pirates, would be a perfect candidate for the same role. In fact, that 4/5 inning dumbass thing in Colorado would work a lot better if they had a *piggyback* like Timmy or Dirrrrrty to fill the role.
    BUt J-Sanchez has got to start throwing strikes. Forgetting his injury (and injuries often blur into excuses for poor performances) and his mechanics (which CAN suffer, by the way, with poor work ethics), he turned into a pretty predictable pitcher: the *never give in guy*. That worked for a while but he’s got unhittable stuff and his approach was easy to see. If you’re a batter, why would you hit what you can’t see? Basically, the hitters beat a pitcher that was too stubborn to change his ways.
    Word is, Dirrrrty has worked on his mechanics all winter. I follow him on twitter, and it looks like he was partying all winter. Whatever. His mechanics can’t fix his flawed approach to pitching. I expect another disaster year from him if he keeps taking the *never give in approach* with almost no command to back it up…….

33. twinfan1 said, on February 6, 2013 at 7:59 pm

The CBC worked in the late innings but it created problems earlier in games because the committee has to be saved for late. So there were guys pitching in games when they shouldn’t have been. Hensley, Loux, Otero, Edlefsen should never have had to pitch when the team was ahead except in dire emergencies- that wouldn’t be a problem this year, they’ll be better top to bottom.
    *IF* he actually does go with CBC.

IMO.

34. zumiee said, on February 7, 2013 at 12:02 am

TF said “Most hate stats”
    I don’t agree with that. Some of us just don’t think they’re always interesting. Sometimes they are, and sometimes they aren’t.
    I’m kind of intrigued by that stat that judges balls-in-play. I can’t think of what it’s called, but it judges how “lucky” a batter was that particular year. That’s an interesting stat, IMO.

• twinfan1 said, on February 7, 2013 at 9:01 am

I should have said most hate stats that refute a preconceived notion. That’s usually when the good ole “eye” or “sniff” test is cited.

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 501 other followers