Romo: Two Years/9 million

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on February 6, 2013

That’s quite a deal Sergio just scored. The 3.5 million was the deal he was going to get anyway via arbitration. Dropping another 5.5 million in there is a suspect decision for two reasons:

1) The only way he has a lights out 40+ save year is if he stays healthy all season and avoids injuring one of his many achy body parts. He pitches with two braces and while I don’t have medical documents at the ready to back me, I would suspect that throwing that insane frisbee slider is not easy on the elbow on a game to game basis. He can’t pitch all season as a front line closer. Book it.

2) And if he doesn’t have a lights out 40+ save season, what is the point of guaranteeing him 5.5 million next year? That’s just giving money away that you don’t have to risk. Romo’s not going anywhere, they control him in 2014……

Sabes did the same thing with Bee Wheezy before the 2011 season and that didn’t work out too well. And before anyone wants to try NOT connecting the two deals, recognize that Romo is a HUGE injury risk if he’s used as a top flight closer.

And if they do go CBC then why the f**k give him a deal that pays him 5.5 next year?

They saved nothing out of this deal, they were going to have to pay him 3.5 million anyway if they went to arbitration.

Dumb, on many, many levels…….

About these ads

1. ewisco said, on February 6, 2013 at 8:48 pm

when i saw the signing, i was thinking about giving you the day off but you beat me to it. I just don’t see any way on god’s green earth that he can be a front line closer for 2 years. so you’re back to cbc.

returning to the stick: epic. too bad i couldn’t afford it.

• Flavor said, on February 6, 2013 at 9:10 pm

‘Wisco–
      If they play one more game at the ‘Stick I am buying a block of seats and we are gonna *Flappalooza* our asses off………

• chipower9 said, on February 7, 2013 at 7:18 am

Now that is a capital idea…I am IN, and will pony in cash towards making it happen!

2. twinfan1 said, on February 6, 2013 at 8:53 pm

That’s 3.5 for Romo, 4.5 for Casilla, 4.25 for Lopez, 6 for Affeldt..
    Maybe look at it this way, the Polly Way- the pen is Bochy’s masterwork… in particular Romo, Lopez, and Affeldt have turned in performances that kept us alive in our two postseasons of 2010 and 2012.
    This should be our best pen ever, with Kontos, Mijares, and Ramirez probably filling out the pen. That’s one solid group.

• Flavor said, on February 6, 2013 at 9:09 pm

of course, you are correct. And I really could give less than 2 shits about him scoring that 2nd year. It’s not my money. I was just questioning the necessity of it……
      I agree, this could be our best pen ever and a dominant pen and a strong starting 4 or 5 is almost a free pass to the post season…..

3. paulinasia said, on February 6, 2013 at 9:18 pm

Seems like the Giants are trying to make spring training this year as calm and drama-free as possible by having everyone coming in happy. Everyone happily under contract, most spots in the line-up all set, some competition for bench roles… “Here ya go, boys, here are the bats and balls, go out and have some fun getting ready for another run at the big one”. I have no problem with that. Of course there will likely be some surprises, some positive and some negative, during the spring, but I’m liking the mood, make-up, and moxy of this team going into the new season. I can almost see Bochy giving a huge-headed knowing-dude nod right now…

4. xoot said, on February 6, 2013 at 9:34 pm

Romo is an absolutely great short-leash righty specialist who can go longer, and take on LHs, pretty regularly, if necessary, though he needs good rest after pushing it that far. (The postseason schedule gave him some important rest days.) He’s also smart and fierce and fearless. And he has pitched well under pressure for several years now. Push him too hard, too long, and his elbow or his knee may act up. But let him work for Bochy and the other Giants BP geniuses, and he should be great for the next two years. Looks like a good deal to me.

5. twinfan1 said, on February 6, 2013 at 9:42 pm

“of course, you are correct.” God, I love those words. I remember Merna saying them just last week, when I said I was a dumb ass…
    I love Romo. I’ve loved him ever since I said the $!!@%$!!! SOB should never throw another pitch in the bigs, after he gave up a game winner to Manny a couple years back. Tough love…straightened him right up ;-)
    Nighty-nite.

6. snarkk said, on February 6, 2013 at 11:11 pm

$ 9M for 2 years of ‘Romo.
    Maybe a mill to much. He can’t be the regular closer, his elbow won’t take that.
    But, he earned that extra mill in last year’s playoffs.
    Crap, that 12-pitch marathon AB against Bruce of the Reds in NLDS game 5 was probably worth $500K alone. That was epic, then he got Rolen to end it. Sweet…

7. snarkk said, on February 6, 2013 at 11:14 pm

I’ll give Sabes some credit.
    He trades Ramirez and Torres to the Mets, gets Pagan. Now, he’s got Pagan, with Ramirez and Torres back, after Pagan helps lead to a WS win. That’s pretty good work, even if Ramirez and Torres don’t turn out too well. Pretty good burn on the Mets, BTW…

8. Bozo said, on February 7, 2013 at 6:30 am

With your planned Closer and Long guy out, the Pen had to juggle assignments big time. A bump in salaries for Casilla and Romo seems like a bonus for performed duties and pay for future performance. I’m good with that. Next year maybe the Giants will take a page out of the Eddie D book and treat the players and their families to a Hawaiian vacation, keep em happy, happy, happy.

9. Flavor said, on February 7, 2013 at 6:33 am

Zumie– I like the BABIP stat, too. It’s something used to effectively evaluate both hitters and pitchers but it’s not a stat that just tells you how lucky a player was or wasn’t. Personally, I like to look at what % of balls hit were line drives, see what their BABIP and then compare it to previous years. Since there’s nothing more unlucky than hitting a line drive right at someone for an out, I think this is the best place to start when evaluating how luck may have affected a players batting average from year to year.

10. chipower9 said, on February 7, 2013 at 7:26 am

I don’t have a problem with the deal for Romo. Ballplayers, like all of us, want a little security. Sure, Romo is under team control until 2014, so the Giants did NOT have to go two years, but I think it was a goodwill move to show Sergio that the team appreciates his services, and to give him (and the team) the peace of mind that they don’t have to do this dance again for two years.

And I don’t know that the Giants will have a front-line closer this year. I can see much of the same this year (CBC0, and when you think about it, it helps keep guys fresh. Regardless of how the closer situation works out, I am okay with two years at 9. I agree with xoot…the Bruce AB last year in the NLDS was probably worth half a mil alone.

11. Nipper said, on February 7, 2013 at 8:35 am

Stupid idea of the day: Playing one last game at the Stick. Very lame.

• Nipper said, on February 7, 2013 at 8:38 am

Romo isn’t perfect but he should get all he can get. Just pay the man!

• chipower9 said, on February 7, 2013 at 10:21 am

I love the idea and think it is great.

And the idea is not nearly as LAME as occupying a spot on the 25 man roster of a baseball team with an over the hill fat ass that doesn’t play in the field who they call a “designated hitter.”

• Salty said, on February 7, 2013 at 11:08 am

I concur.

12. willedav said, on February 7, 2013 at 9:01 am

Pen and what they make is the last thing to worry about unless you are the rest of the league and division. Sit back and watch them perform and be expertly handled. Back end of rotation may be another story.
    Take another look at those numbers Twin posted yesterday about giants regulars batting stats at home…Pence in 98 ABs has a total of 6 XBH, and his OPS is 90 pts worse than blanco at .600, and the next closest to him are crawford at .630 and Pagan at .750. He has to be the RH pull hitting power guy ala Uribe and Burrell, and make pitchers throw strikes to Posey. dude has got one year (at $13 mil remember) or as Twin says Sf will have to look elsewhere to acquire someone that can take better advantage of what the park gives you in terms of down the line in LF. Biggest ? mark on entire team to me.

• twinfan1 said, on February 7, 2013 at 9:58 am

Here are some numbers of RH hitters with power showing what
      % of their career HRs have been pulled and the % to the opposite field.

Rowand 54 %/7%
      Burrell 64%/3%
      Uribe 63 %/4%
      Posey 33 %/17%
      Aurilia 63%/3%
      Kent 58%/3%
      Pence 44 %/11%

The most successful at hitting HRs at ATT are those with both a high pull rate and a low opposite field %.Pence doesn’t appear as if we can count on much HR wise at home, just as we haven’t seen much from Buster hitting HRs here ( 14 in 532 home AB). Obviously we’re not kicking Buster out the door- we’re just not going to see great HR numbers here. Pence isn’t a great hitter like Buster is, though. If he’s going to do a lot of damage, it would appear to be east of the Rockies..urp…

13. twinfan1 said, on February 7, 2013 at 11:09 am

Bring Your Pet Day at the ‘Stick

dog

• eddacker said, on February 7, 2013 at 12:21 pm

hahaha, great pic twin

14. twinfan1 said, on February 7, 2013 at 11:43 am

Great line from a great show ( “Breaking Bad”- Netflix has 4 seasons on demand)
    ” WTF did you tell your wife I sold you marijuana??!!??”
    ” Because it was preferable to ‘I cook meth and killed a man…'”

• salty said, on February 7, 2013 at 12:11 pm

Ha ha.. It’s a great show, one of my all time favs…

15. twinfan1 said, on February 7, 2013 at 12:21 pm

“Alleykat said, on February 5, 2013 at 2:29 pm(Edit)
    That’s classic so we Pagan ,Ramirez and Torres.all back.from the Mets.Another brillant.move by Sabes!!
    Sandy Alderson is laying in a bathtub full of ice with his kidney removed.”

Great post on the Vungo/Ramirez returns, Kat. Forgot to tell you at the time.

16. AlleykatS said, on February 7, 2013 at 12:55 pm

Kappy is sporting a Mega new Tattoo on his chest.
    Not much room left now,hope he doesn’t go Neck Tats or Mike Tyson on us.

17. twinfan1 said, on February 7, 2013 at 1:17 pm

Following up on Zumie and Craig on BAPIP and line drive %, here’s the 2012 numbers for likely starters. Scooter and Pence are SF numbers only, Torres is the Met numbers. Maybe Craig would like to analyze these, The numbers that strike me are Belt’s, Pence (OMG!) and Vungo’s LD% was the best of his career- it’s his power that fell off the grid after 2010- suggesting the leg problems *might* be the culprit.

Pagan .329/22.5
    Scooter .366/ 25.8
    Panda .301/20.3
    Buster .368/24.6
    Pence .261/17
    Belt .351/25.6
    Blanco .318/23.6
    Crawford .307/22.7
    Torres .293/24.7

• zumiee said, on February 7, 2013 at 5:08 pm

Thanks. That’s probably my favorite of the “new” stats. There needed to be a way to judge that sort of thing.

18. Flavor said, on February 7, 2013 at 6:02 pm

Twin, I use a slightly different metric called hit rate or *H%* which has a similar formula to the BABIP:
    (H-HR)/(AB-HR-K).
    The H% is close to the BABIP number but not quite the same as it doesn’t add the sac flies into the equation.
    Either way, I will take a look and see what their H% is on their LD’s from year to year.
    I can tell you right now, Belt’s juicy 25.6 LD% last year is enough to put him on all my draft boards right now…….

19. Flavor said, on February 7, 2013 at 6:12 pm

Vungo had a weird year. His contact rate was the best of his career (at least, the most relevant last 5 years (76%) and his walk rate was also the best of his last 5 years (12%). And as Twin said, his LD% was his best at 25%. Unfortunately, his ground ball % also easily hit a career high at a whopping 48% with his fly ball % dipping to a miserable 28%.
    Vungo is a mixed bag right now and if his legs are still draggin’ he’s not gonna be getting too many hits with all those new ground balls (that are also connected to and partially caused by the bad legs)…….

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 497 other followers