My FanFest Day (And Some Pics From My Dad’s FanFest–Times Have Changed)

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on February 9, 2013

I had decided not to go but I didn’t close the door on it completely. Around 10:30am I got a call from one of Katie’s friends and she was invited to go to a Chinese New’s Year’s parade. Not asking questions other than “Can I drop her off in like 5 minutes?” I hung up the phone and whisked her down the hill. It takes about 45 minutes to get to AT&T from my house so time was of the essence. In the rush I forgot my jersey and I felt the lameness of that move as I was driving up 4th Street when I suddenly rammed my car straight into night time; felt like around midnight. Either that or it was Halloween, I couldn’t tell. Black everywhere, orange and black everywhere, it was a world of *my people* all making their way up 4th to the stadium. Pawlie would have fallen down on his knees and starting crying…..

Having not prepared even a little bit for this trip, I quickly discovered I was not doing this in a skillful way. Besides forgetting my jersey and hat I passed all 4 parking lots with *full* signs on them. I flipped a be-atch and started slow riding up and down interior streets away from the park. It was mostly all construction though I did keep passing a sign to a hospital or something. Every time I saw the sunrise of a possible parking space on the street my hopes would get dashed as it turns out there are an inordinate number of fire hydrants in San Francisco. Just as I was literally about to give up since I had driven so far away from the stadium I could almost justify being *on my way home* I drove by a city park and found a rogue, empty space at the end of a dead end. I was in the sticks. Literally. I got out of my car and there was a group of dudes swinging long sticks in the air at each other:

stickmen

As much as I wanted to ask these cats if I could join in on all the *fun* I started my long walk off toward the ballpark. After walking for a while I came upon this glorious spectacle and knew I was almost there:

outsideatt

I patted myself on the back a few times for choosing this activity over whatever the fuck the stickmen were doing a long way away and I headed into the ballpark:

fieldpic

That looks like a big group of fans casually commingling but it’s actually LOOOOOONG separate lines of fans lined up to meet the players. I never got nearly close enough to see an actual player. Not one. A little perspective on that later in this post when I upload some of my dad’s fanfest picks from 2008 (or so).

I waited in a long line to go down on the field. I’d never been on the field, it was cool to walk on it:

photo (2)

I finally walked back up into the right field lower box seats and took this shot. I’m assuming this resembles a crowd at a regular season Oakland A’s game:

stadiumseats

Finally I decided to have some mustard for lunch with a little bit of hot dog thrown in as a side dish:

hotdog

Of course that made me think of the hot dog I bought when me and San Diggity Dawg went to a game:

diggitydog

Yeah, I ate both of them……..

_______________________________________________________________

And then I left. My dad’s wife Diane sent me these pics from the fanfest they went to circa 2007/2008. Times have changed, eh? I didn’t ask him but I don’t even think he stood in line to get these shots.

velez

rowand

dadfanfest

sabes

Anyway, I’m glad I went even though I didn’t see a single player (other than on the big screen being interviewed by the KNBR crew). Being around the energy and the aura of fellow Giants fans was enough to make it all worth the trip.

About these ads

1. snarkk said, on February 9, 2013 at 4:03 pm

Looks like now they’re lines to get into another line.
    But, that’s cool. Let the bandwagon roll on.
    That only means one thing.
    Another WS championship…

2. snarkk said, on February 9, 2013 at 4:06 pm

BTW, love the line BF, about the crowd and the A’s game.
    Way MORE at Giants FanFest than a regular season A’s game…

3. Flavor said, on February 9, 2013 at 4:19 pm

no one on the field seemed to be pissed but I would have been, had I been one of those parents who brought their one or two 4/5-year-olds to the *fest*. I watched parents dragging kids to and fro. I heard one dude say, “ok, if you get lost, that’s it you’re gone forever….” I swear on my life that’s what he said, lol

4. Flavor said, on February 9, 2013 at 4:21 pm

Fuck it, I’m re-posting DJLoo’s post from the last thread! Why? Because I’m living on the edge, baby. And his is a story that must be told….

DJLoo said, on February 9, 2013 at 3:44 pm (Edit)
    I’ve noticed something in the last few months that you guys out on the West coast who live among Giant fans may not necessarily have experienced. You gotta remember as a Giant fan I’m all alone here – at least in the immediate neighborhood. I’m well known for it. Anyway, ever since championship # 2 when I wear my Giant stuff (almost every day) I actually feel like fuckin’ royalty – almost God-like – almost 5 feet tall. Doesn’t matter if it’s a jacket, a hoodie, or just a couple of pins. I feel like I personally achieved something special that took me almost half a century to earn. And the people who know me know it and they respect it. I can feel it and I see it in their eyes. After the first one in 2010, it was like the little maniac finally got lucky just once. People were genuinely happy for me. (I’m quite popular) It’s different since the second one. Now I can just put on a pair of black mittens with that spectacular orange SF logo and I fuckin’ own everything – like I knew something all along that they didn’t. I could only imagine how the team and members of the organization must feel.

5. zumiee said, on February 9, 2013 at 4:57 pm

Great stuff. You took us right there. Very cool.

6. twinfan1 said, on February 9, 2013 at 4:58 pm

Part One, thumbnails for P and C day:

Affeldt-not many LH relievers who can do it all
    MadBum- take a walk on the wild side and he’s our next CY
    Cain- settling in as a top #2
    Casilla- lost some steam on the heater
    Dunning-hasn’t done much to warrant the spot-drafted as a SS, might be a project- at 24, better hurry
    EEscobar- still a baby-LHer made big strides last year-a kid to watch
    Heston- has improved as he’s moved up- but fastball tops out high 80′s. A 6 in a 5 man rotation..
    Kontos- needs an off speed pitch to be a top reliever- great poise, great slider
    Tim “The Geek” Lincecum- Doogie Howser needs the right medicine
    Javier Lopez- so-so year. Mijares might get some more action.
    Machi- crafty, gutty… but no room at the inn
    Mijares- see “BB of the Day”, he’s a lock

7. zumiee said, on February 9, 2013 at 5:02 pm

I actually watched some baseball on TV today, on the MLB network, from the Australian something or other championship of some kind. Australian teams, with Australian broadcasters, playing in what looks like a nice minor league ballpark.
    The thing is…..it’s BASEBALL.

• DJLoo said, on February 9, 2013 at 5:34 pm

Our starting 5 made 160 out of 162 starts last season. I refuse to believe anyone on the planet (including Bochy) remembers who made the other 2 without looking it up. Anyway, who’s the emergency starter on this team?

• Flavor said, on February 9, 2013 at 5:36 pm

Timmy. :)

• twinfan1 said, on February 9, 2013 at 5:54 pm

Hacker and Petit and I didn’t look it up.
        This year’s emergency starter will be………………………………………………………………………..Chad Gaudin ?

• Flavor said, on February 9, 2013 at 5:58 pm

Surkamp will be back this Summer, too!

8. Flavor said, on February 9, 2013 at 5:32 pm

MacDog decided to get off his ass :) and send me some pics of the trip with Pawlie to see the trophy. I dumped them in the bucket, they’re fantastic. Thanks Mac!

• Macdog said, on February 9, 2013 at 6:26 pm

That’s what happens when you don’t feel like shoveling snow.

9. Flavor said, on February 9, 2013 at 5:37 pm

Among my great epiphanies I had on the drive back home, I realized that Timmy is now absolutely perfectly named……..

• DJLoo said, on February 9, 2013 at 5:39 pm

Sometimes I wish this place had a “like” button…

10. Macdog said, on February 9, 2013 at 6:17 pm

After getting hit with a few inches of snow last night, which made for an interesting ride home from work, what a welcome sight those pics are. Even the hot dog looks damn good.

11. twinfan1 said, on February 9, 2013 at 6:19 pm

Part 2, Pitcher thumbnails:

Otero- slim shot for the 7th pen spot
    Petit- not happenin’
    Romo- sick and tired of watching this dude fail once every 50 appearances
    Rosario- see Otero
    Runzler- can’t give up on an arm like his
    Surkamp- rough road back
    Vogelsong- if he runs out of ammo, he’ll throw his gun at the batter
    Zito- April 1, 2012.. Zito confronts Bam-Bam: “4 frigging runs?? Is that too much to ask!!??”
    Fabio Castillo- great name
    Chad Gaudin- don’t leave him hanging
    Shane Loux- You know I’m going to say it…. “Shane, Shane…” oh, I just can’t…
    Scott Proctor- if three guys die he has a good shot
    Mason Tobin-make that four

• DJLoo said, on February 9, 2013 at 6:33 pm

Mason’s dad, “J.O.” was the first horse to beat Seattle Slew…

12. Macdog said, on February 9, 2013 at 6:48 pm

Twin, did you know of an announcer named Shelby Whitfield? He died this week at 77. Whitfield did Senators games in 1969 and ’70, and then wrote a book “Kiss it Goodbye” that ripped owner Bob Short after he moved the team. He later worked in NY radio and co-authored a book with Howard Cosell, “What’s Wrong With Sports.”

• twinfan1 said, on February 9, 2013 at 6:59 pm

Didn’t know about Whitfield, Mac. “Kiss it Goodbye” , that was also Bob Prince’s HR call…

• Macdog said, on February 9, 2013 at 7:07 pm

Ha, that’s right. The Washington Post obit said the book’s title referred to Mr. Whitfield’s home-run call. Hmmmm . . .

13. Flavor said, on February 9, 2013 at 7:18 pm

A shout out to the “great” Joanie’s Woody who, on this date back in 1989, won me and The Boney One, 2 broke college buddies, $3500 each as part of a spectacular pick 3. Chad Shvanevelt was aboard. Still can’t spell his name.
    Somewhere, I have the results from the Chron. I’m just drunk enough, and definitely bored enough, to go find that out of a box in my studio and post that for you, DJLoo.
    I’ve been kicking around a horse racing page at the blog for a while, Loo. Denny keeps not coming back so I’ve delayed it. I know it’ll never be like the blog we took over at the Chron.
    But why not, we got time, right?

• DJLoo said, on February 9, 2013 at 8:24 pm

Might be fun as the Triple Crown trail heats up, Flav…

• DJLoo said, on February 9, 2013 at 8:38 pm

DMD is a self proclaimed “chalk-eating weasel” but he knows the game and has good insights when he’s in the mood…where is he?

• Flavor said, on February 9, 2013 at 8:51 pm

Done. And by “done” I mean “then”0

14. Flavor said, on February 9, 2013 at 7:51 pm

After looking at the Velez pic from my dad, I’m wondering if being a dentist for 40 years was actually a ruse for his real job as a gay photogrophist….and yes I made up that word…….
    Loo, it’s dark as fuck in the studio and all my flashlights suck. But tomorrow, I will find that old Chron cut out that I saved to remembered me and the Boney One’s most fortunate day…..
    Of course, I’ll be sober then and will probably just go, “Um…yeah. no.” :)

• DJLoo said, on February 9, 2013 at 8:28 pm

Ask your dad if he’s ever done a root canal on a patient without administering novacaine like my nutty dentist did to me last year…

15. manny said, on February 10, 2013 at 1:10 am

Flavor, every time I see that picture of the San Diggity Dawg I just start chuckling here. I can just imagine the cuss words erupting when you inspected that sorry excuse of a hot dog.

16. twinfan1 said, on February 10, 2013 at 10:04 am

New Post

17. pawliekokonuts said, on February 10, 2013 at 3:29 pm

Great, great stuff here. Just got back from Philly and did not take my laptop, which is actually restorative. While in Philly, I did talk on the phone with Dennis Z. Let me just discreetly say here that his family is worthy of our needed prayers. Then I talked on my cell a long time with the head of the New York Giants Preservation Society. (Loo and Macdog: Look into it. Email me.) When I told this guy, Gary, how I was in Philly at the ballet when the Giants clinched in 2010, he related how he was sure that Ryan Howard would walk or possibly hit a homer. And then, Howard took that called third strike. Sweet. Still. Yes, as Loo related, walking around like a “Roman king,” to use a phrase from Bob Dylan’s latest album.

• Flavor said, on February 10, 2013 at 3:48 pm

Hey why did the release of your newest book fail to hit my radar?

18. eddacker said, on February 11, 2013 at 12:09 pm

I just re-read ‘Starry Night’. After a fine restaurant dinner and I had no cigar to relax with. But I always have my Kindle reader. Been offline a lot lateley; I see things are well and wonderful here. AND I now know why BF loves the multi-bet; college, rascals, and sweet, sweet payday.

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 451 other followers