Pitchers And Catchers Report To Spring Training For Delousing !

Posted in Uncategorized by twinfan1 on February 10, 2013

OK. that’s “The Onion” headline…

Here’s some fellas who showed up for delousing last year and have moved on, didn’t get another invite, or just proved to be, uh-lousy..
Hector Corrrea,Steve Edlefsen,Clay Hensley,Danny Otero,Travis Blackley,Brian Burres,Justin Fitzgerald, Austin Fleet, Stephen Harrold, Mitch Lively, Andrew Kown, Ramon Ortiz, David Quinowski,Wilmin Rodriguez,Shawn Sanford, Matt Yourkin,Chris Stewart ,Eli Whiteside, Tommy Joseph, Andrew Susac,Jackson Williams

No, it’s not an error- someone’s gonna say Danny Otero was here last year, too. Not so fast- this year he’s showing up as “Dan” Otero. The guy has figgered out that Bruce likes mature relievers- ain’t no “Danny” grabbing that 7th pen spot.

Correa- the kid we got for the pleasantly plump catcher, you know who-Ronny Paulino. We sent Taschner to the Phillies for Ronny Paulino, and promptly flipped him to the Florida Marlins for Hector Correa.. who is: somewhere.

Ramon Ortiz- moved on to steal innings elsewhere- had a nice AAA season for the Yanks, think he’s in Blue Jay organization now.

Travis Blackley- bounced around after we got him from Seattle for Jason Ellison- he worked his way back here only to be DFAed last year. Had purty fair campaign with the A’s…

David Quinowski- Huh:? Who? Ended up with the Lincoln Saltdogs, with Derek Coverstone, Asif Shah, and other luminaries.

Whitey- had a whirlwind offseason- I think the Saltdogs just became the 14th team to sign him and release him 4 hours later..

Joseph- Mr. Light Tower Power went to the Phils for the Preacher. No complaints…….yet.

And so it goes- Pitchers and Catchers Day is a beginning for many, life goes on for others, and the end of the road for a few. This wiil be an especially tough time for the hopefuls this year- there might be just *ONE* spot spot in the battery up for grabs…
And the chance for this…

pp

About these ads

1. twinfan1 said, on February 10, 2013 at 10:27 am

No, you dirty old men- not the chance to do the in and out with Mrs. Posey.

2. Salty said, on February 10, 2013 at 10:53 am

Funny, twin.

I’ve been wondering a bit about that one surprise to make the club and have an impact, the 2013 Blanco or Arias. No one on the non roster invitee. Two backup position spots open with Theriot and Nady not coming back? Wonder if they will still sign someone else or if they feel comfortable with choosing from among Pill, Abreu Noonan Peguero Kieschnick and Gillaspie.

3. twinfan1 said, on February 10, 2013 at 11:49 am

Salty:Well, among position players, I’d say there are 2 spots that could be open- one infield reserve and one OFer.
    I think Abreu and Noonan are the front runners for the infield position. I have no idea what their plans are for Gillaspie other than extra Panda protection, otherwise why hasn’t he played anywhere but third (save a few games at 1st)? The OF spot could be Peguero, Kieschnick, even Brown- or maybe they keep just 4 true OFers and keep Pill for one more chance, or go with Noonan/Abreu, Arias, and Gillaspie. Lots of possibilites for those last two positions. My guess is Peguero and Noonan.

• salty said, on February 10, 2013 at 12:08 pm

Yeah with Arias, Gillaspie seems very unlikely. And now Bochy is saying he wants Belt to play some LF when Buster plays first….

• twinfan1 said, on February 10, 2013 at 12:57 pm

Then there’s Pill- with Buster seeming to be set to to play some first again, his niche would mostly be that RH power bat off the bench- a wish oft wanted, rarely fullfilled. An easy guy to root for, but he might just start to think about Japan…

• zumiee said, on February 10, 2013 at 1:52 pm

Pill had one of the biggest regular season hits for the Giants in 2012, as we all remember. That two-run homer off of Kershaw to beat the Dodgers early in the season, after Kershaw had so dominated the Giants in 2011 sent a terrific message that 2012 ain’t 2011.

• zumiee said, on February 10, 2013 at 1:53 pm

But having said that, it could be that his baseball future is better served elsewhere.

• twinfan1 said, on February 10, 2013 at 2:50 pm

It was a huge early season hit, but that was about it. Did he get the ball?

4. zumiee said, on February 10, 2013 at 2:30 pm

If this was mentioned, I missed it- Pawlie’s got another book out! He’s an unstoppable force, like the Beatles after they appeared on Ed Sullivan’s show.
    Very cool, Pawlie!

• pawliekokonuts said, on February 10, 2013 at 3:55 pm

I am a bit embarrassed for pushing this book out. The so-called poems are okay but the cover and layout are awful. Amazon’s pricing is indecipherable.

• Flavor said, on February 10, 2013 at 5:58 pm

Zumie, did you upload this photo or did Twin do it for you? I’m not upset if you did it successfully and if you’ve proven you can do it so be it, but I only want Twin trying to upload photos within a normal post. There are too many things that can go wrong with the HTML of the blog, by accident, if you don’t know what you’re doing.

5. Salty said, on February 10, 2013 at 2:55 pm

Why is a used copy selling for twice the price of a new one?

• Flavor said, on February 10, 2013 at 3:09 pm

he signed it.
      I have no clue.
      And why is there a used copy already?

6. Flavor said, on February 10, 2013 at 3:08 pm

I like Peguero too, but I think the Giants are going to see what Blanco and Torres give them before they turn to FP. And if that’s the case, Pill, or likely someone not yet picked off the scrap heap, would get the spot.
    Torres didn’t have a terrible year last year. HIs power year from 2010 is an outlier and if he’s let that dream go there’s still lots of ways for him to help the team. Of course we know about his defense He stole 13 bags in 374 at bats in 2013, that’s a nice clip. His contact rate of 75% was the highest of his career, as was his 12% bb rate. He hit a shitload of line drives in the 2nd half (28%). The only thing to really fall through to the the floor was his fly ball % (usually in the mid/high 40% it dropped to 28% last year. But again, if he’s gotten away from the dream of another 16 bomb season, I don’t have a problem with that……
    In a platoon role, I could totally see Vungo giving us a solid year. You know, that might be the best thing for Blanco, too. Might keep ‘em both fresh…….

• twinfan1 said, on February 10, 2013 at 3:28 pm

I definitely see Torres/Blanco platooning. But I think Pill is a long shot this year. He just doesn’t do enough and what he does do, he doesn’t do it often enough. I’d like him to make it, I made the argument about him last year- he had a chance to show the thinking was wrong that he was a AAAA hitter. Except for that memorable hit, basically he was awful.

• Flavor said, on February 10, 2013 at 3:47 pm

you know, there isn’t a lot of bench speed on this team. What if something insane happened and Gary Brown won one of the OF spots? Torres and Blanco off the bench would be a nice 1/2 punch to have in the later innings. With so little bench speed, that’s another reason to take Peguero over Pill. He’s not a major stolen base guy, at least above A ball, but he’s had a shit load of injuries in his career and if he finally gets healthy, who knows?

7. pawliekokonuts said, on February 10, 2013 at 3:56 pm

I salute Mike’s encyclopedic (or “encyclopaedic”) knowledge of these players ready to slip into dark oblivion — or dark-star fame with another team.

• twinfan1 said, on February 10, 2013 at 4:40 pm

Seriously, the stories of the fringe players, the can’t misses who missed, the hangers-on, .. are a larger part of the fabric of the game than the All-Stars and HOFers, IMO. How cool a Paul Kocak book on a select few of those guys would be…

8. DJLoo said, on February 10, 2013 at 4:55 pm

The Vungo of 2010 would get 350-400 ABs with this team. The Vungo of 2011-2012 gets DFA’ed before the Derby…

• twinfan1 said, on February 10, 2013 at 5:00 pm

Ridiculous.

• twinfan1 said, on February 10, 2013 at 5:20 pm

507 AB 84 R 43 doubles 8 triples 16 HR 63 RBI ( most extra basehits on the team) .268 BA .343 OBP .823 OPS 122 OPS + , GG level defense
      The 2010 Torres wouldn’t lose any AB. Don’t be silly.

• Flavor said, on February 10, 2013 at 5:55 pm

agreed, the 2010 Vungo had a special year—especially in regards to the power. As you guys know, he wields a big bat (or at least, he used to). I still remember the Krukow morning interview where he was was discussing Torres a bit before the season started in 2011 and Torres was explaining to him that he was going to use a BIGGER bat in 2011. I don’t remember the way Kruk told it on KNBR but basically he tried to suggest to Torres that his value was in his speed and that a bigger bat wasn’t going to be the answer and he said Torres looked at him like he didn’t understand him.
        Fast forward to last year, and it’s clear he was hitting less fly balls and more line drives. Whether that was intentional because he finally realized his limitations or his legs had completely given out on him and he has no power left, I don’t know. His ground ball rate HAS gone up in the last 3 years: 2010 it was 39%, 2011 it was 40% and in 2012 it was 48%. So that’s a trend, combined with a severe drop in fly balls, that you don’t want to see. But the 28% LD’s in the second half of last year was spectacular.
        But as a platoon player who saw his contact rate and bb rate hit career highs last year (I didn’t look at what he did 5+ years ago in the minors) and a line drive rate of 28% in the second half last year, I think he could be extremely valuable this year if he can stay healthy……..

• DJLoo said, on February 10, 2013 at 6:10 pm

It didn’t come out the way I meant it. Never mind.

• twinfan1 said, on February 10, 2013 at 6:19 pm

It’s hard to know how much the legs had to do with it, but his power upswing began in 2007 and continued through 2010. I’m sure as hell not arguing about Vungo this year, though. I’m neither Bull nor Bear on him this year. Just hopeful.

• DJLoo said, on February 10, 2013 at 6:38 pm

He never looked right in that Met uniform…

9. twinfan1 said, on February 10, 2013 at 5:51 pm

Eddie Murphy died an Internet death today. Now *there*s* a Loo kinda story…
    Others who have died in this terrible snowboarding accident include Adam Sandler, Denzel Washington, Jim Carrey, and even Arnold Schwarzenegger.
    RIP, dear friends, the world was a better place with you in it… uh, except Sandler.

• Flavor said, on February 10, 2013 at 6:08 pm

well if you’re going to post this then I’ll counter with:
      Lacey Peterson was due to give birth on Feb 10th, 2003 so had Scott Peterson not killed her their kid would have been 10 today……..

• blade3colorado said, on February 11, 2013 at 12:45 am

Yeah, please remind me again why Adam Sandler is famous?????

10. twinfan1 said, on February 10, 2013 at 6:22 pm

Internet hoax deaths are a mite more humorous than the Peterson story, IMO.

11. twinfan1 said, on February 10, 2013 at 6:33 pm

Night all. Go Vunblanguero !!!

12. DJLoo said, on February 10, 2013 at 6:50 pm

This should be the year Panda really puts it all together. Hitting in front of the MVP, the WS confidence, no hamates to sideline him, How about 33/115/.325 and some stellar D at 3rd? Back to back Giant MVPs? Wouldn’t be the first time. Or the second…

• Flavor said, on February 10, 2013 at 7:10 pm

Maybe. He’s still fat as fuck. Up until the WS his reg season was kinda “whatev”– maybe that performance put him over the top, he certainly had a fantastic VWL.
      Basically, no result would surprise me. But I don’t have a reason to predict an outcome either.
      Hope you’re right though

13. blade3colorado said, on February 10, 2013 at 7:45 pm

New blog post. I have had an absolutely shitty connection or no connection (at the place I was staying). I moved into a hostel that rocks. Beautiful women (check out Rachael on my blog. I know, I know, a teaser. Ha.) and great WIFI, plus a hot tub with killer city views.

14. DJLoo said, on February 10, 2013 at 7:57 pm

What’s the deal with traveling?

• blade3colorado said, on February 10, 2013 at 9:20 pm

Better than watching National Geographic Loo.

15. sportdude said, on February 10, 2013 at 9:40 pm

Great to have baseball on my mind again. Great posts Craig re the last five yards. I was sad too, then got a little madder as the week went on. Augh. Now I’m ready for baseball!

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 451 other followers