Important Dates for the Season

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on February 12, 2013

We checked one important date off today, pitcher’s and catcher’s are all in camp today.

The first ST game to be played is February 23rd vs the Angels.

The Bay Bridge (yawn) Series is being played on March 28th, 29th and 30th.

And then the off season is put out of it’s misery with the glorious opening day game on April 1st. We play the Dodgers down at their hizzle for 3 and then come back to SF for 3 against St Louis. That’s a series that should be riveting from start to finish. I’d like to see one or two pitches end up in MH’s ribs…….

May is highlighted by a 2 game diddy up in Toronto. I can’t recall playing them but maybe I’ve just forgotten it. Near the end of the month we play 4 vs the A’s (two at their place, 2 at ours).

A bunch of games are scheduled for June.

And July….

In August we go to Tampa Bay to play 3 at their place– I’m positive we’ve never played a game vs the Rays. Right? Or am i just totally losing it? And then the Orioles come to AT&T for three games. I’m really looking forward to that series and hope I’m around to go to at least 1 or 2 of those games. Growing up I always liked the Orioles (for no real reason, I just liked their name and their manager).

September is going to be wild with four games down in LA then we travel to New York for three vs the Mets followed by 3 vs the Yankees. I know many people who have already planned a work trip out there for that series.

When looking at this year’s schedule, what jumps out for you guys?

About these ads

1. Irish Kevin said, on February 12, 2013 at 8:34 am

April 1, my birthday!! yahoo. and I have the day off. to bad they are in LA. April 7 is Giants World Series Ring ceremony. they are giving away 40,000 replicas. I am sure they are just plastic?? Anyone know for sure. GO GIANTS

• chipower9 said, on February 12, 2013 at 9:42 am

No details on the Giants site re: the replica rings…

• Irish Kevin said, on February 12, 2013 at 11:47 am

A friend brought back a printed schedule and on there it has the info. do a search on the Giants site “AT&T/Giants opening Week”. that is what it is titled on the schedule.

• ewisco said, on February 12, 2013 at 10:56 am

Hey, that’s mine too!! Turns out to be a great day. nobody forgets!

• Irish Kevin said, on February 12, 2013 at 11:46 am

Cool, yes, no one forgets!!

2. willedav said, on February 12, 2013 at 8:56 am

Getting started for real. I can’t get into ST and rarely watch even part of a game.
    A really nice gal sales rep I talked to last month is originally from Nola but now lives in LA and is a d fan. I advised her to have the team ask the Wizard for a heart for Hanley..and Ethier…and Barbs.

• chipower9 said, on February 12, 2013 at 10:18 am

What I enjoy about ST is checking out some of the fringe guys who have a chance to make the 25. Plus, I just love the whole vibe and the precursor to playing them for real. Scottsdale is cool, and we usually try to catch a game in a visitor’s yard (this year we are doubling up one day with a split squad – afternoon in Scottsdale, and evening game in Goodyear against the Tribe). While ST has become so popular (tickets both expensive and tough to come by), and it is nothing like it was 20 years or so ago (walk up and get a sweet seat cheap day of the game), I still enjoy going down every year.

3. denniszu said, on February 12, 2013 at 9:03 am

For a lot of east coast Giant fans, it might be the Yankee series. To bad it’s late Sept. but riding high on making the playoffs and silencing the Yankee fans would be worth waiting. Knocking the Bombers out of contention for a playoff bid…. well that would be just plain priceless.

• chipower9 said, on February 12, 2013 at 10:19 am

I would love to go back for that series. And yes…it would be so sweet to see the Giants kick the Yankmees asses!

4. twinfan1 said, on February 12, 2013 at 9:29 am

As some of you saw last night, I’ve begun a journal at my blog- I don’t want my health issues mucking up Craig’s blog. Did a little chitty chat last night. Here’s where you can take a look, if you’re of a mind to, and there’s a link to by blog in the Blogroll.

5. chipower9 said, on February 12, 2013 at 9:44 am

I will definitely be at Opening Day. It is BY FAR my favorite day of the year (yes, it trumps EVERY fucking holiday out there). I have been to every opening day game since 1978.

Saturday the 6th is Buster’s bobblehead. I have a few that I have collected over the years, and this is one I want to add (I have the Rookie of the Year one they handed out a couple of years back).

Opening Day tix are insane this year. Bleachers are going in the 160 range. You can get lower box for for a skosh under 2 bills (that is where I will probably end up, and have been the past several years).

Other highlights of May include the Bums first trip to our yard, followed by back-to-back series with the Phils and Hotlanta. A week later the Nats come to town.

June you have the BlueJays visiting for two, and the Fish in town for four.

Post AS break in July you have the Reds and Da Cubs.

August has the BrewCrew, O’s, RedSox and Bucs all visiting our yard.

With the exception of the Mutts and Yankmees on the road, September is all NL West.

Definitely some series I want to catch…cannot wait.

Full squad reports Friday and first full workout is Saturday. I can smell the fresh cut grass, brats and garlic fries, and hear the crack of the bat already!

Let’s play some ball! GO GIANTS!!!

6. chipower9 said, on February 12, 2013 at 9:58 am

Oh, and as the last primer to playing them for real, I always like to catch one of the Bay Bridge Series games. My daughter and I will make the trek down for one of these as we always do.

7. dirtnrocksnomo said, on February 12, 2013 at 10:15 am

4/9/12 Giants World Champion Snow Globe
    9/7/12 Giants Orange Sombrero

Those are going to be tough to miss but personally I would like to see OneFlapdown night at the yard this year. Its time for all us regulars to stop being internet recluses and get this done.

• chipower9 said, on February 12, 2013 at 10:53 am

I agree, Micah! Here is the “group seating chart” if we went that direction.

You can also enhance your group experience. One of the enhancements is called “Triples Alley” and entails the group being on the field during batting practice and a Pre-Game Party for 2 hours prior to game. All inclusive Food and Beverage Menu during Party (including beer and wine) and tickets Your in Lower Box 103 (behind the visitors dugout). There is also a group deal in the Club section (230 and 231).

The pre-game party is probably steep, but I will send and email to get more details.

Would love to do a “OneFlapDown” Flapalooza at the yard!

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on February 12, 2013 at 11:06 am

I am totally into this and willing to throw down some cash. I guess we should seek a consensus on weekday or weekend game and ceiling for $.

• chipower9 said, on February 12, 2013 at 11:17 am

Me too (into throwing down some coin). I have an email out to get more information such as:

Minimum number in group (if there is one)
        Potential seat locations
        Price per seat per location
        Price for pre-game parties (such as Triples Alley)
        And anything else of note.

Will let ya know what I find out.

And I agree… need to test the waters for interest, and if interested, day or night preference, etc.

8. twinfan1 said, on February 12, 2013 at 10:48 am

Lord willing and the creek don’t rise, I just may show for Flapalooza. And here’s how I be showin’ up. See the big dude sweating? That’s Craig- he knows I’m back. Back for “The Bat” ;-)

• chipower9 said, on February 12, 2013 at 10:54 am

Too damned funny! Hey, if we did Flapalooza on “Dog Days” Zeke could join us.

9. eddacker said, on February 12, 2013 at 12:28 pm

ST is great, opening day, not at home, yawn.
    162 (?) games? That is a long season.
    One pitch once more? Priceless and freakin’ well paid for.
    Giants at home in the best ballpark
    Giants on the road NY, Atl, Fla? Summer in the city.

It will all be “on the radio” for me. The rare game on ESPN. And the championships, every game broadcast live in the wee hours.

And me loving it all. PLAY BALL!

10. Macdog said, on February 12, 2013 at 12:35 pm

The Yankees series will be a must-go for me, although I wish it wasn’t so late in the season. Then again, as Dennis alluded to, the series could have potential for all kinds of September drama. There’s also the Mets earlier that week along with my annual visit to Philly. And there’s always the possibility of road trips to Washington, Pittsburgh, even Toronto. The Giants are having a snow globe promo? Awww man, I would so be there.

• chipower9 said, on February 12, 2013 at 12:46 pm

As I said earlier…I would love to catch the Yankmee series. And the picture of the snow globe looks awesome. Click on the link (April 9th) and you can check it out. I am sure if you had to have one, they will be available on eBay.

• eddacker said, on February 12, 2013 at 1:01 pm

If I were a rich man, the NYY games would be so cool. Me in my full SF gear yelling POLO GROUNDS

11. blade3colorado said, on February 12, 2013 at 1:11 pm

I’ll be pissed if you guys do a Flapalooza III before I get back to the World. The gathering should reflect some significance in the schedule/standings – late August or September in my opinion. :-)

• chipower9 said, on February 12, 2013 at 1:35 pm

I’m down with that, Steve…and whatever we decide to do, IMNSHO it should be a date that you can make. Dirt threw out 9/7 – Orange Sombrero Night (Saturday, 6:05 start). I think the Flappers would be looking pretty fucking awesome with everyone rocking an orange sombrero.

• blade3colorado said, on February 12, 2013 at 1:40 pm

I am there if that happens. I just bought one of those Australian Barmah bush hats made out of Kangaroo leather and I already hear flappers saying, “Oooooohhhhh, that poor Kangaroo who gave his hide for a hat.” LOL.

Yeah, the sombrero night I am down with.

• ewisco said, on February 12, 2013 at 4:47 pm

i’m in.

12. Flavor said, on February 12, 2013 at 4:57 pm

September 7th should be the day we shoot for. I think we might even be able to get San Dawg to come up from San Diego for *Orange Sombero Night*. Sat, 6:05pm game, it’s all good. Now, we gauge interest. Sounds like Chi is in and Ewisco never misses a Flapalooza. Same with WillieD but I can’t speak for him yet. Snarkk? Blade? And I know that Edd is moving to Arizona soon so he might be able to swing it. I’m sure Dirt would do it and Kevin. We could probably get 20-25 Flap vets if we plan it with enough notice…….

• blade3colorado said, on February 12, 2013 at 5:57 pm

Again, I am in for any date in Sept. If you can score a 1-2 week gym pass as well, I am really down with it Flav. :-)

Frickin’ raining cats and dogs in Oz right now, so enjoying a latte and free WIFI at this cafe.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on February 12, 2013 at 6:13 pm

Speaking of Oz, I just read a pretty critical profile of Dr. Oz in The New Yorker.

13. Flavor said, on February 12, 2013 at 5:00 pm

from mlbtraderumors.com:
    “Andres Torres told reporters the Dodgers pursued him during the offseason, Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle reports. The Mets and Reds also had interest in Torres after New York non-tendered him in November. However, he wanted to return to the Giants if at all possible. “My heart is in San Francisco,” he said.”
    How fuckin’ great is this guy?
    And as I’ve said, I really think he still has something left, especially if he doesn’t have to play everyday.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on February 12, 2013 at 6:11 pm

We all love Andres. He will be better than he was as a Met, but not 2010 form, IMO. But, hey, 2010 form would be just fine, if I’m wrong. A Mets fan tells me Terry Collins didn’t get him; apparently once mocked him about his meds. Speaking of which, the phrase of the day recently at Urban Dictionary was “Adderall niter” — to stay up all night on Adderall. hahahahahahha

• Flavor said, on February 12, 2013 at 6:38 pm

He’s not going to have the power, the 16 bombs were an aberration, but he could hit a lot of doubles, steal some bags. I think he could easily be as productive as Blanco minus a dozen or so stolen bases. But he could hit for a better average and he’ll get on base at or better clip

• eddacker said, on February 12, 2013 at 7:51 pm

as great as any Giant gets – Andre!!! welcome on board!

14. DJLoo said, on February 12, 2013 at 5:01 pm

And I’ll be all alone at Yankee Stadium and Citifield for Giant week in September.
    Flap-a-loser.

• Flavor said, on February 12, 2013 at 5:16 pm

It’s all in your attitude my man: “FlapaDJLOOOO–za!!!!!!!!!”
      See how rad that sounds?
      Call Buzz up and get him to smash a couple of yankee fans heads together like coconuts. That’ll beat anything we get down with at Orange Sombrero Night. :)

• PawlieKokonuts said, on February 12, 2013 at 6:07 pm

no siree, not alone; our Nation will be out in force. Hey, Loo, I’m reading a terrific memoir of one of your Brooklyn boys: Paul Auster, of Park Slope. Winter Journal.

15. zumiee said, on February 12, 2013 at 5:20 pm

Count me in for Sept. 7th.

• Flavor said, on February 12, 2013 at 5:32 pm

good. You’re on the list.

• Flavor said, on February 12, 2013 at 5:34 pm

and by *list* I mean the list in my head. And that’s really more like a *club* right? It’s quite a party up there.
        After we get a somewhat firm ballpark number I’ll look at the ticket packages and we can go from there.

16. PawlieKokonuts said, on February 12, 2013 at 5:35 pm

I suspect I’ll meet up with either the Finnerty’s crowd or the New York Giants Preservation Society, or both, for the Mets or Yanks, or both. I’d always welcome a return to Pittsburgh. Plus, I’d like to add to my list of stadiums. Maybe Toronto?

17. blade3colorado said, on February 12, 2013 at 6:30 pm

I agree Pawlie regarding Dr. Oz. The Media Pigasus Award went to Dr. Oz because he’s done such a disservice to his TV viewers by promoting quack medical practices that he is now the first person to win a Pigasus two years in a row. Dr. Oz is a Harvard-educated cardiac physician who, through his syndicated TV show, has promoted faith healing, “energy medicine,” and other quack theories that have no scientific basis. Oz has appeared on ABC News to give legitimacy to the claims of Brazilian faith healer “John of God,” who uses old carnival tricks to take money from the seriously ill. He’s hosted Ayurvedic guru Yogi Cameron on his show to promote nonsense “tongue examination” as a way of diagnosing health problems. In 2011, Dr. Oz endorsed “psychic” huckster and past Pigasus winner John Edward, who pretends to talk to dead people. Oz even suggested that bereaved families should visit psychic mediums to receive (faked) messages from their dead relatives as a form of grief counseling.

In short, I am not surprised by the New Yorker’s expose.

• eddacker said, on February 12, 2013 at 7:54 pm

stupid people do stupid things

my man: “FlapaDJLOOOO–za!!!!!!!!!”
      See how rad that sounds?

is not a stupid thing – baseball!! world wide

WONDER FULL

18. dirtnrocksnomo said, on February 12, 2013 at 8:11 pm

I’m in for September 7th. That whole party in your head thing I want no part of.

• blade3colorado said, on February 12, 2013 at 10:04 pm

Paranoid delusional multi-personality schizoids call it a “committee” and convene a meeting when more than one voice is talking. :-)

19. eddacker said, on February 14, 2013 at 12:07 am

my man: “FlapaDJLOOOO–za!!!!!!!!!”
    See how rad that sounds?

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 497 other followers