Keith Law’s Farm System Rankings Are Out!

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on February 14, 2013

But since I don’t subscribe to The Insider anymore, I don’t really know what they are. :) It’s not the newest news, they came out on Feb 4th.  Maybe some of you have seen the list. I expected us to be ranked near the bottom and, sure enough, we’re ranked 26th.

Here are the top 5 teams:

1. St Louis

2. Minnesota

3. Rays

4. Houston

5.Chicago

Rank #2-5 isn’t surprising, those teams always suck and always have the best draft spots. I was a little surprised to see our great rival The Cardinals ranked #1.

The D-backs were ranked 15th, the Dodgers 18th, and the Padres 6th (he ranked the Padres #1 last year).

I don’t pay too much attention to other team’s farm systems since they’re always so fluid (trades, injuries or just players who never pan out). And even though we’re ranked 26th, we don’t have too many holes to fill so there are enough players in our system to fill the few spots that will come up in the next year or two. One thing that’s a little frustrating is that the Giants have pumped an awful lot of money into their search internationally for players and not seen a very good return on that investment. Yet.

About these ads

1. Bozo said, on February 14, 2013 at 7:05 am

I’m not sure about other teams Farm Systems at all, so it’s hard for me to say if the rankings are really an indication on a team’s total system. Besides trades, I’d imagine that the rankings can change just on a few players year. Last year Brown was a number one for our team, this year he follows Crick.
    So if kids like Escober, Ty Blach or Blackburn have good years our ranking will rise (I think Blackburn may see the Majors in a couple of years). Add to that, someone like Gustavo Cabrera, who hasn’t played yet but has the tools to jump into the top 100 prospects could change our rankings soon.

2. twinfan1 said, on February 14, 2013 at 8:29 am

John Sickels, a much more knowledgeable guy than Law, IMO, ranks our system 17th.

The rankings are very fluid, of course. It’s doesn’t hurt to remember than the farm is the main reason why we’re on top o’ the world, Ma..
    Right now our system is loaded on the lower levels again,a guy who hasn’t been talked about much is Mac Williamson , a 3rd round pick last year out of Wake Forest. As a college guy, he’ll make it or break it quickly. He’s a big OF with all the tools, he bats RH, could it be, could it, could it…RHed LF power bat? Oh, to dream..
    What better excuse to listen to one of the grat ballad singers of all-time, Luther Vandross? And we all have an impossible dream, don’t we?

3. willedav said, on February 14, 2013 at 9:08 am

Um, at first glance of the rankings of the farms, let’s just say Twins Stros and Cubs are gonna need it.
    Killion, who is fast taking Ostler’s place as most consistently useless sports columnist on chron, talks about niners fans anger at the move to Santa Clara. Pls, a stadium in SF was never ever going to happen once Eddie D was out of the picture. If HOF arm twister willie brown couldn’t get it done, forget it. Plumpjack hairgel boy newsom, in negotiations with Dorks? Collection of clueless spoiled children.
    Giants abandoned that dump of the Stick years ago, and you can’t blame niners for looking elsewhere and admiring the shiny new yards of others. If you really want to see a game I’m sure it would be a nice place to go, though certainly out of my price range. But the move was inevitable.

• xoot said, on February 14, 2013 at 9:57 am

Agree on Killion. She essentially invents things to comment on and often changes her view later so she can re-comment on her new perspecitve of what was a nonexistent issue to begin with.

• snarkk said, on February 14, 2013 at 12:20 pm

Glad I’m not the only one with a more than questionable view of what Ann Killion adds to the sports discussion around this area, other than a pants suit. When she’s one of the panelists on the CSN chat show deals, I scratch my head at why she’s on there, her contributions are usually so vapid. Susan Slusser, the beat reporter for A’s is much more of a real contributor, although the reasons given for her HOF votes were less than stellar. With the advent of the blogosphere, we’re seeing that sportswriting is really not all that difficult, the thing that sportwriters have over all of us is access. Good sportswriting is difficult and fairly rare. IMO, Jim Murray of the LA Times was/is the gold standard…

4. twinfan1 said, on February 14, 2013 at 9:43 am

I have a new post at my blog, which is now a journal. Alert: there is a video of a craniotomy there. It’s quite graphic…

5. chipower9 said, on February 14, 2013 at 10:43 am

Other than the high-level high-profile guys in our system, and also the evaluation of our recent drafts, I don’t have a lot of knowledge of our system. But as Michael points out, our farm is the main reason our boys are where they are (two championships in three years).

Here is a link that I thought gives a pretty good run-down on the state of the Giants farm situation:

And here is one that gives a nice preview of the team for this year.

6. Salty said, on February 14, 2013 at 10:59 am

Yeah, certainly giving up Wheeler and Joseph didn’t help their standing. Still pretty good core of “homegrown” back next year in Cain Romo Bum Posey Belt Sandoval Hector and Crawford. If Tim and Pence leave, they need a power hitting OF and a SP, but they should have the money saved from Zito Tim and Pence to sign FA’s. The only other position might be 2b if Scutaro’s age catches up to him.

• xoot said, on February 14, 2013 at 11:49 am

If I read Zito’s contract correctly, his 2014 “club” option vests with 200 IP. The Giants then would either have to keep him at $18M for 2014 or buy him out with $7M. So there’ll be some savings, even if . . . . On the other hand, if Zito doesn’t hit 200 IP, the Giants pay nada to say goodby. He has been in 190s a few times with the Giants. Funny side term — if the option vests, Zito has the right to buy it out for $3.5M, presumably because he might be able to get more than $21.5M for 2014 on the FA market. Wow. They must’ve been passing around some pretty strong optimism juice in Magowan’s office when they hammered out that deal. (Zito-bashing disclaimer: no, I haven’t forgotten game 5 v. St.L. He is forever forgiven.)

• chipower9 said, on February 14, 2013 at 12:05 pm

That’s the way I read it, too. There are ways for it to vest with collective IP over multiple years, but looking at his past couple of years, that will not happen:

The option vests with 200 IP in 2013 or 400 IP in 2012-13 or 600 IP 2011-13
        If the 2014 option vests, Zito may opt out & receive $3.5M buyout.

7. twinfan1 said, on February 14, 2013 at 11:10 am

Despite the crappy average, Pence did help them. If he returns to form and then re-signs., that’s a good “draft pick”. And Beltran’s departure led to the Pagan trade..
    If you’re looking for the view from Polly HQ- you’re at the right place…

8. dirtnrocksnomo said, on February 14, 2013 at 11:59 am

Stl turns out prospects pretty consistently. Bochy as manager is the ultimate X factor for our club.

9. snarkk said, on February 14, 2013 at 12:27 pm

I do not understand why the Giants have been unable to draft and develop at least one or two really good MLB quality outfielders with pop, speed and defensive skills in what, about 15 years. Or 20? I’m talking top quality outfielders. I should think just by accident over that period of time one or two would happen. Maybe I’m forgetting somebody. But, when I was growing up, the Giants did nothing BUT develop those kind of guys…

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on February 14, 2013 at 12:37 pm

I hear Todd Linden was big in Japan.

• chipower9 said, on February 14, 2013 at 1:53 pm

I wonder how much of it is an inability to do so, or that the focus has been more on drafting/developing pitchers. I think Brown and a few of the other recent OF drafts are what management hoped would fit that category, but regardless…your point is well taken. It has been a while since we have seen them draft/develop one with those skills.

10. twinfan1 said, on February 14, 2013 at 1:22 pm

In my latest blog entry. I had posted a video of a craniotomy similar to mine, it was too explicit, I apologize. I removed it.

11. blade3colorado said, on February 14, 2013 at 4:32 pm

I love Chi’s line here, especially the part about “2014 and possibly 2015″ . . . “Zito has let it be known that he wants to retire in a Giant uniform. If he has a good year this year, I could see the team offering him another year with an option in the 10 mil/per range, especially if Timmy leaves, and management thinks Zito can be a viable piece of the rotation for 2014 and possibly 2015.”

All of us here would have been burned at the stake for heresy, had we been mouthing such imbecilic words prior to Zito’s unfrickingbelievable run last season and even more amazing playoff and World Series performance.

. . . and yet all of us are saying these things. Almost fucking reminds me of a bizarro ending to the Frankenstein movie, where the town folk go to Dr. Frankenstein’s castle bearing housewarming gifts, instead of pitchforks, guns, and torches. :-)

• unca_chuck said, on February 14, 2013 at 4:47 pm

That’s how the book ended . . .

• twinfan1 said, on February 14, 2013 at 5:15 pm

Don’t get too carried away there. In the interest of peace and harmony, I’ve let the waaaaay over the top stuff about Mr.Zito slide. I will just repeat what a fine gentleman, dancer, and connoisseur of all things fine and wonderful that he appears to be.
      I know that no one wants to hear that he had a MINUS WAR( 0.3) at Baseball Reference, plus 0.8 at FanGraphs, MINUS 0.9 at Baseball Prospectus… oops, I said. it. Me Bad. OK- did I mention he’s a fine dancer ?

• Flavor said, on February 14, 2013 at 5:19 pm

WAR is a dumb stat. There. I said it.

• DJLoo said, on February 14, 2013 at 5:27 pm

Is it dumber for pitchers than for position players?

• Flavor said, on February 14, 2013 at 5:43 pm

it’s dumb for fantasy baseball. It’s also dumb if you’re a Giants fan— hand wringing about Zito’s WAR or VORP number, and ignoring his real life-actual 15 wins last season followed up by his epic pitching performances against St Louis and Detroit that sustained our world series run and ultimate victory is just, well, “dumb”…….

• twinfan1 said, on February 14, 2013 at 5:59 pm

Barry Zito is the only pitcher in the history of the world that Craig rates based on wins. BTW, Merna, Zeke, Mickey, and Lisa give me a – 1.2…

• Flavor said, on February 14, 2013 at 6:02 pm

actually that’s not true at all. I *celebrated* Zito for everything he did last year and in the playoffs. I never owned him on a single fantasy team. And I won’t own him this year on one. But I’ll still celebrate his successes in 2013, especially if they’re anything like last year. And for all those reasons, and many more, I don’t give a single fuck about his VORP or his WAR or his xFIP or any other stat you can find to disparage him.
        Based on everything he did last year, especially overcoming the adversity of his career as a Giants pitcher, he will always be one of my favorite Giants of all time—no matter what he does for the rest of his time here.

• twinfan1 said, on February 14, 2013 at 6:06 pm

Ain’t no hand or panty wringing, and he sucked it up and pitched a couple of clutch games-which he got the proper accolades for. But rating a pitcher on wins is DUMB, and Craig knows it.

• twinfan1 said, on February 14, 2013 at 6:09 pm

As I said, he got every prop he had coming. He had one of his better years here, not the best- and his postseason work was superb.

• DJLoo said, on February 14, 2013 at 6:35 pm

“DUMBO” is actually the name of an upscale Brooklyn neighborhood.
        I’m not allowed there.

12. DJLoo said, on February 14, 2013 at 5:18 pm

Yeah, what is up with that OF thing? Seemed like they used to supply every team in the league with them.
    Is there a logical explanation?

• Bozo said, on February 14, 2013 at 5:47 pm

My good eye is on Gustavo Cabrera. I guess my other eye is on the floor. Damn eye.

• Flavor said, on February 14, 2013 at 5:59 pm

Gustavo’s 16 years old, right? I LOVE any and all international signing. It never costs much (400K or 1.2 million, whatever) and if the team is scouting properly you have to think it’s just like college scouts who go to high school games looking for the best young talent. At some point, if you’re invested in it, you’re going to hit some home runs………

• Bozo said, on February 14, 2013 at 8:04 pm

I’m not saying right away, hell, the kid hasn’t even done a summer league yet. But I think he is worth watching.

Hey Flav, what’s the deadline for being in on the FlapaLoo day at the Yard?

13. twinfan1 said, on February 14, 2013 at 6:15 pm

I’ve reconsidered- love me some Zito. Craig- how about a poll- just wins- Zito or Lincecum ?

• Flavor said, on February 14, 2013 at 6:24 pm

we did this shit with ERA last year. Zito beat him hands down. Everyone did. Let’s just kill the comparisons, they have nothing to do with one another and aren’t linked in any way except here to all the stupid shit we blathered on about them.
      I want both to win all their games next year.
      That’s where I stand and my resolve can’t be shaken……

• twinfan1 said, on February 14, 2013 at 6:28 pm

If you don’t want to compare-don’t. Otherwise -there’s a helluva lot more than FIP and WAR.

• Flavor said, on February 14, 2013 at 6:49 pm

when you can drum up a stat that shows me Zito wasn’t critical to our world series win last year, actually indispensable, I’m happy to consider it.
        Otherwise, I don’t give a single fuck about Zito’s sabermetric stats. And I can’t imagine a Giants fan who would after what he did for us last year. I count world series wins now, above and beyond any other stat……..

• twinfan1 said, on February 14, 2013 at 6:59 pm

I gave him his postseason props.And I’ll look forward to your abstinence from sabermetric stats when you’re doing player analysis this year.

14. twinfan1 said, on February 14, 2013 at 6:56 pm

Forgetting Timmy and Zits, here are the top 10 career WAR leaders as per Baesball Reference:
    Babe Ruth
    Cy Young
    Barry Bonds
    Walter Johnson
    Willie Mays
    Ty Cobb
    Hank Aaron
    Roger Clemens
    Tris Speaker
    Honus Wagner

• DJLoo said, on February 14, 2013 at 7:01 pm

Wow, it’s even dumber than we thought…

• twinfan1 said, on February 14, 2013 at 7:04 pm

Yeah, right. Where the fuck is Mike Lamb ?

• twinfan1 said, on February 14, 2013 at 7:10 pm

Hey, Mr. Zitman is 197th best in career WAR among pitchers (out of a 1,000 ). That’s purdy good. Tim is 405th.
        Of course, that increases each year. For most guys ;-)

15. blade3colorado said, on February 14, 2013 at 7:17 pm

I count world series wins now, above and beyond any other stat……..

Love it. :-)

16. twinfan1 said, on February 14, 2013 at 7:24 pm

“I count world series wins now, above and beyond any other stat…….. ”
    And he’s got one already. Tied with Casilla… :-)

17. dirtnrocksnomo said, on February 14, 2013 at 7:35 pm

Question for whoever has been to Giants spring training. Do they have a field configured the same as the yard in SF? Just curious.

• DJLoo said, on February 14, 2013 at 7:37 pm

No, it’s actually a duplicate of the Polo Grounds.

• twinfan1 said, on February 14, 2013 at 7:48 pm

Dimensions: 360′ to LF, 330′ to RF, 430′ to center.

18. DJLoo said, on February 14, 2013 at 8:08 pm

I’ve never seen a picture of the 2012 WS ring. Does it exist yet?

• Flavor said, on February 14, 2013 at 8:18 pm

It’s coming. They had Tiffany’s design it again. Should be spectacular and I’m looking forward to more info on the home game where they’re giving out 40.000 of those bad boys. Plastic, shmastic, I’m in……….

• twinfan1 said, on February 14, 2013 at 8:28 pm

Goodnight, Craig. Goodnight all. This week has left me mentally exhausted. I’ll have a rant tomorrow on my blog about radiologists couching their opinions as “conclusions”. Forgetting me me me, this was a horrible week for my wife. I’m relieved for good news but very upset , as well.
        Go Giants.

• Flavor said, on February 14, 2013 at 8:33 pm

you think you had it tough this week, try watching The Following. What the FUCK is going on there? :) Have a good one Twin, hope Merna feels better and we’re all happy for you after the + MRI

• blade3colorado said, on February 14, 2013 at 11:08 pm

Good night Twin. Take care of yourself. I suspect you will be our good luck talisman this season and the Giants will repeat off of those good vibes.

19. Flavor said, on February 14, 2013 at 8:25 pm

For Bozo above (and others who are interested):
    Flapalooza 3.0 is going down on Sept 7th–Orange Sombrero Night. I’ve got 10 confirmed so far. I’m taking reservations now. Sometime in June or so I’ll finalize the list and have the RSVP’ers paypal me. If we get 15 I’ll buy 18 or 19. If we get 20, I’ll buy 23 or 24. But it’s definitely on, I’ve cleared the calendar for that weekend.

• Bozo said, on February 14, 2013 at 9:04 pm

Thanks man. I will let you know as soon as I can. I would love it, but not sure if I can do it just yet.

• Flavor said, on February 14, 2013 at 9:29 pm

Well you’ve got a couple months to sort it out. We might have to break the seats up into cells to make it work–club reserve so those of us who want to hang out behind the glass can do so sans public outcry

20. chipower9 said, on February 15, 2013 at 7:58 am

Flavor – not sure you spoke to Alyssa (group coordinator with the Giants), but when I spoke to her on Wednesday, she had 37 spots in 231 (Club level) and about 15 in 230. Not sure if we can put a down payment on a block of seats to reserve them. My concern is if we wait until June to pull the trigger, those seats may be gone. Hell, there may not be seats at all come June, as it is a Saturday night giveaway game (Sombreros).

On the topic of Zito (which I started), if he pitches 200 innings the incentive at 18 mil kicks in (he has never thrown 200 with the Giants). I don’t see that happening. But if they are on the hook for a 7 mil buyout, and he pitches good this year, why not set up a one-year with an option that is good for about 18-20 mil over two years. That is all I am saying…and if he does have a good year, I could see it happening. All of the scouting reports on our young arms pencil them in no sooner than 2014. I just don’t think it is that much of a far-fetched possibility.

21. unca_chuck said, on February 15, 2013 at 8:12 am

Barry’s never pitched 200 but he’s been very close every year he’s been a Giant. Except of course his injured year. Got to wonder how that plays out down the stretch. If the G/’s are in the race, if Timmy’s going good, if Barry’s going good, save him for ther playoffs, etc.

Maybe they pull a Strassburg. “Got to shut Barry down for his health.”

• chipower9 said, on February 15, 2013 at 9:38 am

I heard this discussed on the radio the other day, and the comment was made that if Zito is approaching 200 innings, and then mysteriously has an injury, that the Giants would probably hear from the Player’s Association.

22. twinfan1 said, on February 15, 2013 at 8:42 am

I don’t think it’s being a big meanie to point out that Zito and Lincecum are *huge* question marks for 2013., and actually Tim is the bigger question. Zito did not have his best best regular season, except his wins- and that’s not just saberstats but those staid old boring peripherals as well. *But*, aside from the injury year of 2011, his best years have been the last three, His win total last year was obviously aided by good run support (4.76)but he’s settled into Craig’s best analysis of his year: he’s become “serviceable,” our comfy old shoe- a good 5, OK 4.
    Tim, on the other hand, won’t be able to rely on being Doogie Howser with fake eyeglasses to get hitters out again. As Sabean said- his fastball ain’t coming back. And guys with 90/91 MPH fastballs have to hit their spots, something Tim didn’t do on a regular basis. Good eating habits and good conditioning will help but he needs to realize he has to be Greg Maddux, not Nolan Ryan.

• chipower9 said, on February 15, 2013 at 9:36 am

RE: Timmy, I agree…even last year I used the Maddux analogy a number of times…stating that Tim would most likely have to “reinvent” himself as a pitcher (with empasis on pitcher). I do expect him to have a good year…hope like hell my hunch is right.

23. obsessivegiantscompulsive said, on March 1, 2013 at 4:02 pm

Not a good return from International signings?

I would say that we got good returns, Pablo Sandoval most of all, would be worth all the money we have put into international signings by himself. Plus there is Hector Sanchez and there was Pedro Feliz, They also have some nice prospects in the minors in Gustavo Cabrera, Nathanael Javier, RafRod and AnVil, both are on the down side right now, but had shown some talent in the past that could show up again with time and experience, as they are still very young.

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 457 other followers